Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E08: Managed Care

I don't feel like I know Dr Prince enough to care that he's dying. I was sadder for the patient who wanted to die in his own way.

Jackie didn't want to steal Thor's thunder. Haha

Previews for next week: Zoey wants to be just like Jackie? We see Grace standing with Jackie and Zoey, then scenes of them frantically searching for her?smh

Grace needs to STFU and take a few thousand seats. Jackie has spoiled the girl and acts like a slave around her, buying her gifts and acting apologetic for her own life choices. Grace has judged and condemned Jackie's whole future and any potential good that can come out of the marriage. Jackie didn't offer any counterarguments, so Grace is left with the impression that she is correct. Furthermore, while not in possession of all the facts, Grace has tried to poison her younger sister's mind too. The girl needs a strong lesson that everyone is imperfect, we're all damaged but striving, and that she is not one of the adults. In fact, Grace herself is a hypocrite who has taken drugs--perhaps even stolen money to buy the drugs. So if she decides to leave, she has to realize that she has to support herself and be confident that she does know all the answers and doesn't need her parents anymore. Grace needs to realize that even impaired parents, imperfect parents, are precious and deserve respect and cooperation so that the family stays together, strengthened rather than weak or broken. Where is the love, Grace?

• Love 5

How in the hell did Jackie interpret Grace's reaction to her engagement as mature? She whined, complained that she had secretly wanted to move back in with her, and then emotionally blackmailed Jackie into buying her boots. That is not a mature reaction. Then again, I guess Jackie was just relieved that Grace didn't throw herself on the ground and have a temper tantrum right in the middle of the store.

Later when Grace was on the phone with her, I thought she was going to do something far worse than get on a Greyhound bus so to be honest, my reaction was along the lines of oh, that's it?

At least Thor will get a happy ending. Or did I just jinx him?

• Love 1
How in the hell did Jackie interpret Grace's reaction to her engagement as mature? She whined, complained that she had secretly wanted to move back in with her, and then emotionally blackmailed Jackie into buying her boots. That is not a mature reaction.

I would say look at how Jackie reacts when things don't go her way.  She schemes, whines, manipulates and lies.  So Grace acting childish and manipulative probably would feel "mature" to someone like Jackie 

• Love 1

Like mother like daughter. I bet if Grace had thrown a total fit Jackie would've been more firm with her and less apologetic about everything. Grace has learned well from her mother how to properly react in order to manipulate the feelings of others.

I really hope that showing smug Eddie having no trouble getting a job while Gloria struggles to get one is part of the buildup to a huge fall for him. Gloria's hair looked nice.

• Love 7

I really hope that showing smug Eddie having no trouble getting a job while Gloria struggles to get one is part of the buildup to a huge fall for him. Gloria's hair looked nice.

Gloria looked wonderful and I loved her hair as well as her necklace.....troubling thought however.....when Gloria came in for the interview and the interviewer saw her, I am wondering if in her mind she deemed Gloria "too old" and came up with the "needing a Masters" bullshit on the spot to get out of hiring her but without incurring a lawsuit over ageism. Just my own thought but who knows. And that interviewer was very smug and patronizing, IMHO. 

• Love 5

So, how smart was it for Eddie to let Gloria know he was a drug rep?  One phone call to his employer could nix that.

And I agree with siouxbee that there may have been some ageism going on in that interview. Gloria's finding out that 'thinking of your future' may not be as simple as it sounds.

There's still something "off' about this Jackie and Eddie coupling.  

The Beatles song 'She's leaving home, bye-bye' was going thru my head as Grace was getting on that bus.

I missed that part about Dr. Prince's prognosis.  He has the same kind of tumor as that patient?

• Love 1

So, how smart was it for Eddie to let Gloria know he was a drug rep?  One phone call to his employer could nix that.

And I agree with siouxbee that there may have been some ageism going on in that interview. Gloria's finding out that 'thinking of your future' may not be as simple as it sounds.

There's still something "off' about this Jackie and Eddie coupling.  

The Beatles song 'She's leaving home, bye-bye' was going thru my head as Grace was getting on that bus.

I missed that part about Dr. Prince's prognosis.  He has the same kind of tumor as that patient?

Totally agree about Eddie. Not only was it mind-blowingly stupid for his own sake, it was also guaranteed to make Akalitus even more suspicious of Jackie. It seems like even though they're engaged now, he's still intentionally trying to screw up her life - like he did back when he revealed the affair to Kevin.

As for Prince, towards the end he showed Jackie that slide of a brain with a huge tumor in it. She assumed it was a scan of the patient's brain, but then after Prince left, she noticed that it had Prince's name at the top of it.

I don't know if many of you watch Masters of Sex, but (I'll spoilerize this for those who haven't seen it but might want to)

there was pretty much the same exact setup with Julianne Nicholson's character, where she's commenting on how the patient has no chance at survival, and then we see that the slides have her name attached to them.

• Love 3
So, how smart was it for Eddie to let Gloria know he was a drug rep? One phone call to his employer could nix that.

What could Gloria say that would give his employer cause to fire him? Eddie himself hasn't done anything wrong as far as Gloria knows, has he? I don't think dating a recovering drug addict is basis for termination, even for a drug rep. She couldn't bad mouth him in her official capacity as his former boss, because she could easily be sued. And if she called anonymously, I doubt anyone would take anything she said seriously.

Totally agree about Eddie. Not only was it mind-blowingly stupid for his own sake, it was also guaranteed to make Akalitus even more suspicious of Jackie. It seems like even though they're engaged now, he's still intentionally trying to screw up her life - like he did back when he revealed the affair to Kevin.

Why is Eddie so intent on everyone knowing he and Jackie are getting married, does he think he's won a prize that they will be impressed by? And telling random people on the street to show Jackie people will be happy about their engagement proves nothing since they don't know Jackie and Eddie. Eddie is so smarmy, he and Jackie are perfect for each other.

• Love 4

What could Gloria say that would give his employer cause to fire him? Eddie himself hasn't done anything wrong as far as Gloria knows, has he? I don't think dating a recovering drug addict is basis for termination, even for a drug rep. She couldn't bad mouth him in her official capacity as his former boss, because she could easily be sued. And if she called anonymously, I doubt anyone would take anything she said seriously.

She knows that he was fired for supplying Jackie with drugs (back when Cruz was in charge), and that when she fired him a second time, the official reason was that he gave Zoey a controlled substance without a prescription.

If Akalitus wants to avoid a lawsuit,the smartest thing for her to do would probably be to keep her mouth shut. But she's so angry about the Jackie/Eddie stuff that she isn't necessarily going to try to keep her butt covered. And his case against her would be extremely weak - she'd be perfectly justified in informing a drug company that's entrusting him with painkillers that he's been fired with cause for drug-related offenses.

• Love 1
Gloria looked wonderful and I loved her hair as well as her necklace.....troubling thought however.....when Gloria came in for the interview and the interviewer saw her, I am wondering if in her mind she deemed Gloria "too old" and came up with the "needing a Masters" bullshit on the spot to get out of hiring her but without incurring a lawsuit over ageism. Just my own thought but who knows. And that interviewer was very smug and patronizing, IMHO.

I think the age thing is pretty likely. But, to be fair, I can't imagine anyone these days being given the job of hospital administrator without a minimum of a masters degree. The days of people without graduate degrees rising through the ranks to positions like that are rapidly fading, if not altogether gone. Sad that paper trumps experience, but that's sort of where we are now.

• Love 5

I guess Jackie now realizes that the Norwegian used her like a puppet, she did his dirty work by not organizing the hospital staff against the closing but now finds out that he would help her after escrow and that escrow is 90 days...she would have had to wait the length of time to get her nursing license reinstated. 

Akilitis not getting that job is okay, there are probably other places for her talents but I am surprised that the hospital did not insist she get her BA or Masters if she wanted to move up in the ranks.

I don't feel like I know Dr Prince enough to care that he's dying. I was sadder for the patient who wanted to die in his own way.

Exactly. In fact It took me several episodes to remember his name was Dr. Prince. I just kept thinking of him as Tony Shalhoub. And when the camera zoomed in on the X-ray and I saw the name Prince, my first thought was "Oh, that patient must be his brother." Because I don't think we've heard his first name out loud at all, have we? 

I'm also confused about the status of the hospital. They're in escrow, they're already shutting down some departments, but - the deal isn't finalized yet? What happens if the city ultimately decides not to give them a permit or whatever? I don't understand how they can seemingly be taking possession of the hospital already, if they don't technically own it yet. You can't do that. When you buy a house, you can't just move in and kick the current owners out while it's still in escrow.

• Love 5

What could Gloria say that would give his employer cause to fire him?

Plus, did Eddie EVER account for all those drugs he amassed for Jackie's mercy trip?

And talking about accounting. So Dr. Prince gave enough morphine for the cancer patient to end things if he decides. Guess there's just so much lying around for the taking.

• Love 1
(edited)
Plus, did Eddie EVER account for all those drugs he amassed for Jackie's mercy trip?

I think he created a bunch of fake inventory slips and forged Akalitus' signature.  I don't recall if they've ever revisited that though. 

Edited by txhorns79
  • Love 2
She knows that he was fired for supplying Jackie with drugs (back when Cruz was in charge), and that when she fired him a second time, the official reason was that he gave Zoey a controlled substance without a prescription.

For the first, she'd have to explain why she then hired him back and, for the second, she'd look like kind of an ass when she told them what the drug was and the circumstances.  There's just nothing for her to gain by contacting Eddie's employer, but lots for her to possibly lose.

Exactly. In fact It took me several episodes to remember his name was Dr. Prince. I just kept thinking of him as Tony Shalhoub. And when the camera zoomed in on the X-ray and I saw the name Prince, my first thought was "Oh, that patient must be his brother." Because I don't think we've heard his first name out loud at all, have we? 

I'm also confused about the status of the hospital. They're in escrow, they're already shutting down some departments, but - the deal isn't finalized yet? What happens if the city ultimately decides not to give them a permit or whatever? I don't understand how they can seemingly be taking possession of the hospital already, if they don't technically own it yet. You can't do that. When you buy a house, you can't just move in and kick the current owners out while it's still in escrow.

Who owns the building now?  The city?

How in the hell did Jackie interpret Grace's reaction to her engagement as mature? She whined, complained that she had secretly wanted to move back in with her, and then emotionally blackmailed Jackie into buying her boots. That is not a mature reaction. Then again, I guess Jackie was just relieved that Grace didn't throw herself on the ground and have a temper tantrum right in the middle of the store.

Later when Grace was on the phone with her, I thought she was going to do something far worse than get on a Greyhound bus so to be honest, my reaction was along the lines of oh, that's it?

At least Thor will get a happy ending. Or did I just jinx him?

I suppose it seemed mature compared to some of Grace's past behaviors and reactions.

You can work out a deal with the current owner to begin the transition before the deal is finalized.  Often, there may be a clause that says if the deal isn't completed, the buyer will have to put things back into the condition they were in before the sale, or pay some kind of penalty based on the cost to put things back into their pre-sale condition. 

With Prince, I can at least understand him risking his career the way he does. He won't have time to face repercussions if he's caught.

For the first, she'd have to explain why she then hired him back and, for the second, she'd look like kind of an ass when she told them what the drug was and the circumstances.  There's just nothing for her to gain by contacting Eddie's employer, but lots for her to possibly lose.

It wouldn't make her look petty to reveal that she fired him for giving a nurse a Xanax without a prescription. That's the kind of behavior that could easily get a pharmacist fired in the real world - it's a major violation of their professional ethics.

There are two things that Akalitus could gain from informing Eddie's employer about his past illegal behavior. One would be the knowledge that she did the right thing - Eddie's illegally hawking painkillers to pill mills, and he shouldn't be given any more. Akalitus might even have a legal obligation to report his behavior. The second thing she could gain is revenge against Eddie and/or Jackie.

I'm not arguing that it would be smart for her to go to Eddie's employer, and I wasn't expecting her to do that. But Eddie should have known it was entirely possible she'd do that. He had nothing to gain by disclosing who he works for. And as a result of his big mouth, Jackie is under even more suspicion than before.

With Prince, I can at least understand him risking his career the way he does. He won't have time to face repercussions if he's caught.

It wouldn't make her look petty to reveal that she fired him for giving a nurse a Xanax without a prescription. That's the kind of behavior that could easily get a pharmacist fired in the real world - it's a major violation of their professional ethics.

There are two things that Akalitus could gain from informing Eddie's employer about his past illegal behavior. One would be the knowledge that she did the right thing - Eddie's illegally hawking painkillers to pill mills, and he shouldn't be given any more. Akalitus might even have a legal obligation to report his behavior. The second thing she could gain is revenge against Eddie and/or Jackie.

I'm not arguing that it would be smart for her to go to Eddie's employer, and I wasn't expecting her to do that. But Eddie should have known it was entirely possible she'd do that. He had nothing to gain by disclosing who he works for. And as a result of his big mouth, Jackie is under even more suspicion than before.

The question is, can Akalitus afford to be pointing fingers at others who know a few things she's done that weren't quite above board?  Like covering for Jackie?  And re-hiring Eddie?

• Love 1

Gloria looked wonderful and I loved her hair as well as her necklace.....troubling thought however.....when Gloria came in for the interview and the interviewer saw her, I am wondering if in her mind she deemed Gloria "too old" and came up with the "needing a Masters" bullshit on the spot to get out of hiring her but without incurring a lawsuit over ageism. Just my own thought but who knows. And that interviewer was very smug and patronizing, IMHO. 

I thought ageism as well and expected the waiting room to be filled with applicants half her age but she saw stupid Eddie instead.

Her hair and makeup have been spectacular all season.

• Love 4

Parts of this show are so obviously unbelievable. Especially that there would be fully stocked pharmacies just abandoned on empty floors. There's no way in the real world that would happen. As soon as the unit closed those meds would be removed and either re-distributed or sent to the manufacturer or flat out wasted. I really don't know what proper protocol is, but I am sure it isn't "just leave it!".

I suspected Gloria's interviewer was trying to avoid ageism, but it wouldn't shock me if the Master's part wasn't true too. And of course she had to run into Eddie who opened his mouth about hawking painkillers.. That's just gonna make her go further up Jackie's ass. Way to go, Eddie. He can't just play it cool, can he?

I guess now we know why Dr. Monk is so reckless.

I miss Coop. I wish he'd stuck around for the remainder of the season.

• Love 3
I thought ageism as well and expected the waiting room to be filled with applicants half her age but she saw stupid Eddie instead.

How old is Gloria supposed to be?  I know the actress playing her is in her 60s. 

There's just nothing for her to gain by contacting Eddie's employer, but lots for her to possibly lose.

I thought she viewed the situation more in terms of her concern for Jackie, rather than caring much about what Eddie was doing.  At least to me, that was why the first thing she did was follow up on Jackie's drug test, rather than even bothering with Eddie or his new job.

As to Grace, you have two things going on there.  One, you have Jackie springing that kind of news on Grace without telling Kevin, which was just a mistake, but also pure Jackie.  Two, you have Jackie recognizing that Grace is probably seriously angry, but again, there is no indication she actually intends to invite Grace's father into this conversation, or do anything really.     

• Love 1

I thought she viewed the situation more in terms of her concern for Jackie, rather than caring much about what Eddie was doing.  At least to me, that was why the first thing she did was follow up on Jackie's drug test, rather than even bothering with Eddie or his new job.  

Yes and also her poignant "Oh reaaaaaaalllllly?" type reaction when she was dancing with Dr. Prince and heard that Jackie was engaged to Eddie.

Why is it okay for Kevin to remarry and start a new family but not okay for Jackie to start a new life? Grace is a spoiled, judgmental little brat who needs a reality check. I hope Jackie never finds the little twit!

Why is it okay for Kevin to remarry and start a new family but not okay for Jackie to start a new life? Grace is a spoiled, judgmental little brat who needs a reality check. I hope Jackie never finds the little twit!

In fairness to Grace, I can't imagine many kids would be all that thrilled over their parent marrying the guy or girl they were having an affair with during their marriage to the kid's parent. 

• Love 2

I rewatched a couple episodes from the end of season four and damn it's made me really miss O'Hara, Sam and even Cruz. Bobby Cannavale had more charisma and presence than all the new doctors added after him combined (Prentiss, Roman, Prince). Jackie was still likeable then even though her addiction caused Gloria and Eddie to be fired because they covered for her (and Jackie's hair looked great). I also watched the first show of season five and you can see a difference with O'Hara leaving, Sam and Cruz gone, and the addition of Roman and Prentiss. IIRC that was when the show runner change brought lots of boobs with it. It just wasn't as fun to watch anymore, even poor Coop changed. It's like Dr Roman sucked the life right out of him.

How old is Gloria supposed to be?  I know the actress playing her is in her 60s.

Wow, Anna Deveare Smith does not look 65. They keep saying Gloria's been there for 30 years, so she would have to be early to mid 50s at least.

• Love 1

So I guess Akalitus isn't supposed to be an RN, then? You would need more than an associate's for that, wouldn't you?

I suspect the writers just forgot about that.

Right, that's how I saw her reaction, too. But my point is that Eddie had no way of knowing that Akalitus wouldn't try to get him in trouble. Even if it wasn't her most likely response, it was a possibility, so why give her ammunition?

And Akalitus having the reaction she had, and becoming more suspicious of Jackie than ever, is also something he should have anticipated. Unless he's actively trying to sabotage her career, which I suppose is possible, considering his past behavior.

I think he created a bunch of fake inventory slips and forged Akalitus' signature.  I don't recall if they've ever revisited that though.

No, they never did, they just sort of glossed over that whole thing. And Jackie's lawyer got the whole thing thrown out of court anyway so I suppose there was never any follow-up to see where the drugs came from and nothing to alert Gloria about what Eddie had done.

So I guess Akalitus isn't supposed to be an RN, then? You would need more than an associate's for that, wouldn't you?

It doesn't really work that way with nursing. You can study to get your LPN without going to college at all. That's how it used to be, anyway. I knew an LPN who studied to get her RN and that, in itself, is the "degree" a hospital is looking for. I guess they'd want a Bachelor's or a Master's for an administrator, but to be a nurse you just have to get a nursing license.

• Love 1

In fairness to Grace, I can't imagine many kids would be all that thrilled over their parent marrying the guy or girl they were having an affair with during their marriage to the kid's parent. 

"He gave you drugs and had an affair with you while you were married to Dad."

How and why does Grace even know these things? I can't imagine Kevin telling the girls, or Jackie either. I thought the girls didn't hear or see anything when Eddie came over to tell Kevin Jackie had been screwing him for drugs. Speaking of that, Eddie did it because he was hurt about Jackie screwing him over (literally), right?

That should really be a warning to her. He did that shit in front of her kids, why would she want to be with him?

That should really be a warning to her. He did that shit in front of her kids, why would she want to be with him?

And if I remember right, Jackie lied to Eddie for however long their affair was going on in the first season about being married and having a family.  (I'm not wrong on that, right?  During the first season, aside from O'Hara and maybe Akalitus, did anyone else at the hospital even know Jackie was married?)  It's a big weakness of their relationship.  It's not clear to me why Eddie is willing to throw his life away for Jackie, or why Jackie (aside from perhaps loneliness and desperation) is so eager to be with Eddie. 

Right, that's how I saw her reaction, too. But my point is that Eddie had no way of knowing that Akalitus wouldn't try to get him in trouble. Even if it wasn't her most likely response, it was a possibility, so why give her ammunition?

Probably the best response to that is Eddie is an extremely stupid person. 

Another filler episode. And thus we go out not with a bang, but a whimper.

I agree.    Its sad, because I loved this show.

Now I am thinking maybe the Nordic developer will have a heart attack and Jackie tells him , sorry I cannot help you because I am not a nurse. Bye.

• Love 5

I thought this was the final episode, so I was surprised to see previews for next week.

The positive of this season have been Akalitis, and the growth of Zoey. I thought the friendship with Dr. Roman was going to develop into Jackie and Dr. O'Hara 2.0, but it doesn't seem to be going anywhere.

I had to lookup Monk's character name to see who's xray he was reading.

For a brief second, I though Grace was having an affair with Eddie, hence her knowledge of what really happened.

This episode also made me wonder if Jackie remembers she has another kid besides Grace. Where the heck was Fiona while Jackie was taking Grace shopping and breaking the news about Eddie to her? Why isn't she telling Fiona at the same time? She's not that little. Then Jackie calls Grace on the phone because she's worried Grace isn't taking this as well as she's acting. What about Fiona? Doesn't she think maybe Grace is going to tell Fiona the engagement news? She doesn't care what Fiona thinks of this?

• Love 6

I just miss the dynamics and drama of the first three, maybe even fourth season. I am on the same page as *dangwoodchucks* - Once O'Hara left, the show took a dismal turn. After coming to really like Akalitus (initially introduced as "the wicked witch of the West"!)... This season has returned her to that first impression as she essentially does a "180" from being supportive and compassionate to unnecessarily cruel with the diversion... I'm not defending Jackie, but Akalitus has her share of questionable actions relative to her acting so self-righteous this season.

(Though I have to admit, seeing the Mary, Joseph & Jesus statues stowed away in her office was the best part of the episode!!).. It was refreshing to see that side of her is still there.

Back to O'Hara-The mixture of the intensity of her character balanced by the stilettos echoing in the halls and her response to the kid hugging her, etc.... Her entire demeanor and sense of humor just added something to the show that was never revived. Zoey has been stuck in the middle of Jackie and Akalitus, and the other doctors... Eh... Just not the same. Even the characters' personalities have just illogically changed that they are almost unrecognizable (Zoey, Thor, Akalitus... I could care less about Eddie, Kevin and Grace...)- And the plots are subpar- I see the credits and am thinking... "umm.. it's over? Nothing happened. Grace can run away!! Who really cares? It looks like her role is elevated next week *sigh* She went from like, 11 to 18 in three years (at least it seems that way-her screen time basically consisted of sporadic fillers, what began cleverly as Jackie seeing her own reflection in Grace during her troubled adolescent phase)-but her character never really developed to what we're seeing now. Once again, an entirely new person/personality that the viewer cannot identify as the same character from the previous seasons.

Well... The slow version of "I Wanna Dance with Somebody" was a nice touch at least.

• Love 2

I gasped when Akalitis casually told the interviewer that she had a community college degree but no more formal academic preparation. Assuming she was applying for a job in NYC, her competition would be years younger, probably male, and loaded with at least one graduate degree from an Eastern school (for example, an MBA, or a Master's in Nursing, or a Master's in Hospital Administration).

No wonder Akalitis comes off more as a befuddled schoolteacher than a cold professional when she deals with the likes of bad-ass kids Jackie and Eddie. If Akalitis wants to stay in the same profession, she'll want to go to a much smaller town and be beefing up her credentials at a local university if and when she gets a new job opportunity.