Type keyword(s) to search

Jaws (1975): 40 anniversary special release! (2 days only)

Shannon L.
  • Start Topic

Jaws turns 40, returns to theaters for another feeding

I love this movie.  I'm terrified of natural bodies of water and I've seen this movie a dozen times. However, I've never seen it in the theater, so when I saw this announcement, I emailed my husband and said that this is what I wanted for my birthday (June 25)--that I wanted the 4 of us to go see it.  He bought the tickets right away.  I'm so excited!  Unfortunately, the theater wasn't allowing him to choose his seat, so we'll probably have to be there 2 hours early, but oh well.....

• Love 3

If you live in New York City, and you should.....Jaws will be showing at the SVA theater on west 23rd street on Saturday, June 20, 2015, you have to order a ticket online, but it's FREE!!!!!

That would've been nice!  But, we live in L.A, so we had to pay full price.  It'll be worth it, though.

• Love 1
(edited)

My fondest memory of Jaws in the theater isn't my own experience, but a classmate being so scared when Ben Gardner's corpse popped up in the bite hole in the boat that he threw his hands up and spilled a drink all over the person sitting behind him.

Edited by Bruinsfan
  • Love 6

I saw this in the theater with my family when it came out--I was only 8 years old, but I don't remember having any lingering bad dreams or fears of sharks after it. My sister, otoh, who was nearly 10 years old, had a dream that night of the shark walking on its back fin down the hallway at home towards our bedroom. (This was before the SNL "Landshark" skit, btw.)

• Love 4

My people! I had no idea this was being re-released, just got my tickets and am so looking forward to seeing this on the big screen for the first time in my life.

• Love 1

Just saw this in theaters today (wasn't born yet when it was originally in theaters, but it's one of my favorite films) and I loved it, as expected. One thing I'd highly recommend is watching the documentary about the "behind the scenes" of the movie. I think it's "The Inside Story" or something like that. I watched it some time ago, and it's changed how I see the movie. Considering all the problems that occurred in making the movie (like the shark not working) and how scenes like the Indianapolis scene came to be and such, it's made me respect what went into the film so much more and really enjoy it each time I watch it (especially today on the big screen). My favorite behind the scenes bit was finding out that Steven Spielberg didn't like the score at first. Can you imagine the film today without that famous John Williams score??

• Mind Blown 1
  • Love 3
(edited)

Saw it and LOVED it! Aaaand, although I didn't expect the theater to be packed, it was half packed! Aaaand, only 3 commercials before the movie started.

I've seen this movie at least 10 times, yet still jumped and gasped each time Jaws popped its ugly, bloody snout from the water. There were at least two scenes I just don't remember from my previous viewings and now I have to go watch my dvd to see if it's in there. One is when Brody's wife is seeing him off as leaves with Quint. I honesty don't remember that. And I'm totally blanking on the other.

If I had the time, I'd see it again on Wednesday.

ETA: oh! Just remembered- the scene where the first victim dies. I don't recall that opening scene being that long or drawn out!

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 2
(edited)

Back in the 80s, my friend's family owned a summer rental in Edgartown, Martha's Vineyard.   When we were in college, they allowed him to use the house for a weekend before the season began.  He invited a bunch of us along.   There were Jaws filming locations everywhere you went.  Even the hardware store still had the "Amityville Hardware" sign hanging up outside.  Geek that I am, I had to run along the jetty at the state beach pointing at the water and shouting "The shark is in the pond!   It's in the pond!"    My friend humored me, but only to a point.   He drew the line at sitting in the sand and singing "Do you know the muffin man?" while I ran along the jetty.   (It was pre-season, so the beach was pretty empty.   Thankfully, lol.)   

When I first read about the 16-foot great white "Mary Lee" being tracked along the East Coast last month, I thought to myself, "that's a clever Jaws fan who named that shark" because I immediately recalled the limerick Quint used hoping to shock Ellen Brody into leaving the wharf:

Here lies the body of Mary Lee

Died at the age of a hundred and three

For fifteen years she kept her virginity

Not a bad record for this vicinity

I was disappointed to discover the shark was named for one of the researchers' mothers:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2015/05/150507-great-white-shark-mary-lee-ocean-animal-tagging-science/

Edited by millennium
  • Love 4
(edited)

Boy, that was fun!  My husband and I thought it held up really well.  We laughed at my son, who jumped when the head rolled out of the boat, after having just leaned over and asked "Is this the scene that was filmed in the swimming pool?". My daughter enjoyed it, too.  As it was starting, she said "if this makes me afraid to go in the ocean, I'll never forgive you!".  After it was over, I looked at her and she said "Nah, I'm good." *whew!"* :)

We had a packed theater, but it was a really small theater, so, I guess all in all there weren't too many people interested, although, I wonder how many knew about it?  I never would've known had I not "liked" their FB page a few years ago.

Geek that I am, I had to run along the jetty at the state beach pointing at the water and shouting "The shark is in the pond!   It's in the pond!"

We took our dog to the dog beach a couple of years ago and asked my husband if it would be cruel to walk up and down the shallow water yelling "Pippet!  Pippet?!"

I remarked that even in this day and age of amazing special effects, there was still only one or two instances where you could tell that the shark was mechanical.  I mean, in the scenes where you actually saw him out of the water--I know that some of the underwater stuff was footage of real great whites.  And what a brilliant way to compensate for the shark breaking down all the time--showing scenes from the shark's POV.  Spielberg really is a genius.  Oh, and saying yes to the music was a great call. I also really appreciated that he had Quint and Hooper remarking that they'd never seen a shark turn and hunt down/chase a boat before.  To me, it showed how he cared to keep his characters smart in their fields of work/study, instead of turning it into a full on monster movie with people making dumb choices (except for when Quint destroyed the radio--I can kind of understand why the character did it, but still think it was ridiculous).

I've seen the movie in it's entirety about a half a dozen times and have come across it at varying places in the movie while channel surfing tons of times, but, I, too, still jump during certain scenes. 

Edited by Shannon L.
  • Love 1

Saw this yesterday and was surprised my theater was packed.  Like others have said I think this movie holds up really well except for some of the clothes (Larry) and the cars.  We didn't have any commercials just the intro by BM. Really enjoyable, glad to finally see it on the big screen.

• Love 1

I'll take the "fakeness" of Bruce (yes, that's what they named JAWS during filming, even though there were 3 of them), over today's CGI of animals. If this makes sense, the fakeness made it look more real.

And I forgot to add, that the stupid theater cut off BM's 'epilogue' of expanding on Quint's dialogue about the U.S.S. Indianapolis, and the handful of people that were still there, yelled to play it! Even though I'd heard it before, I wanted them to play it instead of cutting him off.

Not a whole lot of folks knew it was playing.  The guy, or kid, I should say, at the counter where I was buying my nachos and candy, didn't even realize it had been released. And it certainly wasn't listed on the thingamajig that gives you the names of the movies currently playing and the show times.

And I'm sure someone else might have started a thread already, but Double Indemnity is another that will be playing on July 19 and 20 as part of TCM/Fathom Events in select areas. Not sure if it will be playing at any of my theaters.

(edited)

Like others have said I think this movie holds up really well except for some of the clothes (Larry) and the cars.

LOL, his suits are awesome.

Did not get to see it in theaters this time around.  I have a lot of good memories about it - my mom took us to see it (thank Mom for inspiring a love of horror) when it came out in 1975.  It was scary, we all screamed at Ben Gardner's head popping out of the boat.  I was a kid and was up all night thanks to Jaws.

Went to JawsFest on Martha's Vineyard in 2005 for the 30th; they had a lot of stuff done up with Amity signs.  They screened the movie on the beach, which was a lot of fun.  We all laughed at the exchange where Hooper says "it's a tiger shark" and the fisherman "a whaaaat?"  LOL. And of course "that's some bad hat, Harry".

It's still tense to watch the guys on the pier, even today.  When we watched the movie on the beach, the crowd's yelling "swim Charlie, swim, keep swimming Charlie".  The scene works so well, it's dark, you don't really see their faces much, the guys are just yakking back and forth - then the pier gets taken out, then the pier is heading back towards Charlie..swim!  Good times.

AV Club analysis of the Brody on the beach scene when Alex becomes shark chow.  Fun read about why it works so well.

Edited by raven
  • Love 3

We all laughed at the exchange where Hooper says "it's a tiger shark" and the fisherman "a whaaaat?"

That scene will Never NOT be funny! Especially since Fisherman is asking his friend what kind of shark it was, which made me think he would know that there's more than one kind. And just the high-pitched "Whaaaat?"

Another one is when Brody is telling Michael to get out of the little skiff, and his wife is pooh-poohing him, until she looks at the book, where you see a shark bust a small boat from underneath and she's "Michael? Didn't you hear your father? Get out of the boat!"

Me and the rest of the audience: rolling with laughter.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Boy, that was fun!  My husband and I thought it held up really well.  We laughed at my son, who jumped when the head rolled out of the boat, after having just leaned over and asked "Is this the scene that was filmed in the swimming pool?". My daughter enjoyed it, too.  As it was starting, she said "if this makes me afraid to go in the ocean, I'll never forgive you!".  After it was over, I looked at her and she said "Nah, I'm good." *whew!"* :)

We had a packed theater, but it was a really small theater, so, I guess all in all there weren't too many people interested, although, I wonder how many knew about it?  I never would've known had I not "liked" their FB page a few years ago.

We took our dog to the dog beach a couple of years ago and asked my husband if it would be cruel to walk up and down the shallow water yelling "Pippet!  Pippet?!"

I remarked that even in this day and age of amazing special effects, there was still only one or two instances where you could tell that the shark was mechanical.  I mean, in the scenes where you actually saw him out of the water--I know that some of the underwater stuff was footage of real great whites.

The real great white shark footage was shot by Ron and Valerie Taylor off the Great Barrier Reef in Australia.   To make the shark appear much larger than its actual size, they suited up a little person and dropped him in the cage.

I thought you all might enjoy this: 

The Hollywood Reporter's 1975 Jaws Movie Review

Thanks for that! And after reading it, I thought, what the hell, I'll go see it again, but dammit, either it sold out, or my theater decided not to air it today, which is weird, because when I first read it was going to be shown for the 40th anniversary, BOTH dates were available.  And the other theater that it's showing is too far.

And it's moot, since I'll most likely have to work late tonight.  Why couldn't they have a 10:00 pm show?

Didn't see the re-release but a couple of years ago the local theater had JAWS as part of it's retro series and we went to see that. The place was packed and everyone was into it. It's a fun movie with lots of tension and stuff so it works very well. And I'm glad that they had such trouble getting Bruce to work... they had to shoot around it and that made everything so much more dramatic that way.

• Love 3

Thanks to the SNL 40th Anniversary special, I will never think of this movie without hearing Bill Murray sing his own theme song: "JAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWS!"

That was, indeed, magnificent.

So, I watched "The Making of Jaws" on my 25th Anniversary DVD, and I'm an idiot. No cut scenes when I saw it in the theatre. I had just forgotten them!

BUT, I learned a few cool tidbits of trivia:

The scene between Brody and Sean at the dining table--where wee Sean is imitating his daddy? That was ALL Roy Schieder, ad libbing and Spielberg, letting them go with the flow. That wasn't in the script!

Also, the original line was supposed to be "We're gonna need a bigger boat", but when Bruce jumped out while he was throwing chum into the water, he quickly changed it to "You're."

And I loved this the best--Spielberg or his producers had reached out this this Australian couple who film and work with sharks, and they were trying to see how they could let the 14 footer they had seen in the waters of Australia, look like the 20-25 footer that was Jaws.  They thought to use a Little Person at first, so that the audience could believe the real shark was that huge, but the person had never been in a shark cage before and he was scared. Then they tried to use a dummy of a child; that didn't work, either. So they filmed it in pieces, and I know that two clips, where you see Jaws circling the cage, is the real life footage--the husband was below filming it; BUT, then, when the real Great White got his snout caught in the cage? And he started thrashing around, and you see all that "dust" or whatever? That was the real shark.  Bruce only shows up when he first attacks the cage with "Hooper" in it, that first time; but the empty cage with him fighting to get out of the cage (the shark), that was the actual footage.  According to the wife (sorry, their names are escaping me at the moment) said that when this happens--when their snout gets caught like that, they go crazy. And once he got out, he swam away.  Watching the movie after watching this, gave me even MORE chills and scared the bejesus out of me. And AGAIN, I watched it the night before I was headed over to a friend's place, who...lives on the beach!

There is something seriously wrong with me, I tell ya, that I keep watching this movie the night before I'm planning a trip to the ocean or bay!

• Love 1

And getting caught in the cage was such great shark footage that they let Hooper live rather than give that up. Probably my favorite Jaws factoid.

Not to mention, that scene in the cage where you see Hooper's eyes go wide with fear? That's not Dreyfuss, but his stunt double.

• Love 2

Again, because I have nothing better to do, I ended up watching this and Jaws 2 (the latter on demand for free) and just realized something: They SORASed Michael for the second movie! He had to have been 10, at the most 11, in the first movie.  And even though the sequel came out three years later, in the movie-verse, four years had passed. I don't know why this bothers me, but it does.

And now, I have to admit, though the sequel is...okay, the first one is the BEST.  Because the second movie? There is no menacing mystery to it. We see it as it approaches, as it kills blah, blah, blah.  Unlike the first and best, where we were seeing things from Bruce's point of view, but hardly ever saw him until the last, when Brody, Hooper and Quint were after him/it.  Plus John Williams's music, of course.

And now, after having read the FAQ's about the changes between the movie and the book, I don't think I wanna read the book now. If only because Brody is an ass, and not as...good as he is in the movie and because

Hooper and Ellen have an affair, and she doesn't come as good in the book and that Hooper and Brody hate each other and the way Bruce is killed is...anti-climactic

I just remember reading the first chapter when I used to work at Barnes & Noble while waiting for the store to open. Or maybe it was the first 10 pages. Got as far as Cassidy calling Brody, about Chrissie, Jaws's first victim.

I think I'll still buy the sequel, if only to get the interviews and the making of it; figures that Spielberg didn't direct it. I wonder why. Because of all the trouble in making the first one? Just curious.

They SORASed Michael for the second movie! He had to have been 10, at the most 11, in the first movie.  And even though the sequel came out three years later, in the movie-verse, four years had passed. I don't know why this bothers me, but it does.

And in Jaws 3-D which came out five years later Michael is played by then-29 year old Dennis Quaid!

I have to relate this tale of the single greatest movie theater experience of my life.. I'm too young to have seen Jaws in its first run (I'm not exactly young but any excuse I have to say 'I'm too young' I'm jumping on!). But I did see a 20th anniversary midnight screening on my college campus. I was already a huge fan of the movie having seen the crappy VHS pan and scan version, and it my first time seeing the a film print projected on the big screen.

It being a college campus midnight screening had one gigantic unforeseen drawback though: The theater was filled with drunk frat boys and as the movie started, these drunk frat boys decided it was their right to start hooting and hollering. They were acting like they were at a football game. I literally couldn't hear the movie.. even John Williams iconic theme was drowned by these fools who didn't care that for many in the theater this was their first time seeing it on film or first time seeing it at all. In fact I'd gone with two friends who had never seen the movie, and they were the only reason I didn't walk out at that point. This was the single worst audience I'd ever seen a film with, and that still stands to this day.

But they settled down after the opening scene. And then something magical happened... they started watching the movie. And probably one third of the way through, Steven Spielberg's direction turned the worst audience I've ever experienced into its b!tch. They jumped out of their seats when the movie told them to. They screamed when the movie told them to. They laughed when the movie told them to. And they shut the hell up when the movie told them to. During the tense scenes in the final act the only thing you could hear was the film's sound design.

At the end of the movie when the shark blew up, the entire theater erupted into applause. When the credits rolled they erupted into applause again.They watched the whole credits and then applauded again. Some time later I'd watched documentaries about the film and Richard Dreyfuss related an almost identical story about the audience reaction at the end of the film from the time when it was first screened. But the impact had not diminished 20 years later, after audiences had been introduced to the CGI thrills of Jurassic Park and Terminator 2, etc. Not only that but it had taken complete command of an audience of disrespectful, drunk hooligans. The worst audience of my life had been transformed into the best one, and the only thing that did it was the power of a timeless cinematic classic. 

Edited by Ronin Jackson
  • Love 11

Thanks for sharing, Ronin! Wish my college had done the same for the 20th Anniversary.

It's weird, but in the current world where practically everything is CGI'd, I prefer the "fakiness " (word used by my best friend's kids) which makes "Bruce" more real to me. And the fake part is really clear to me when you see "Jaws" circling and thrashing near the cage underwater-those are the real Great Whites from Australia-it's the snout that gives them away.

And even in the privacy of my home, many years later, I still gasp when Alex is killed and when Brody tells Quint that famous line "You're gonna need a bigger boat.". And I jump and laugh and cover my eyes like weenie too!

• Love 3

Ronin, that same thing happened in my college for a different film, The Killing Fields. We had the rowdies in the completely packed theater making all sorts of noise at the beginning of the film, but within ten minutes, you could hear a pin drop. The only noise you heard for the entire length of the film after that was the sobbing in all the appropriate spots, and then the stunned silence at the end of the film.

• Love 1

How's this for morbid? Actually, I'm not sure if morbid is the right word, but when I was watching JAWS this past weekend, after it had killed Quint, and was trying to get at Brody, its mouth all wide open, I'm seeing like...not sure what, hanging from its teeth. Cloth? Because it's teeth don't look chipped and/or broken...and I was so transfixed, it didn't occur to me to PAUSE the damned screen!  And now that I've typed this, my brain won't be able to block out the...stuff...hanging from its teeth.

• Love 1

A case made for Jaws 2 being essentially a slasher movie in the water.

I can kind of see that. Bunch of partying teens being killed off one by one.

This is what I get for reading this before going to bed: JAWS coming after me and trying to eat me in my nightmares.

I do have one small nitpick with the article though. It states that Jackie (the blind date cousin who turned out to be a hottie and who baited Michael into disobeying his dad and go sailing) was Michael's girlfriend. No, she was NOT Michael's girlfriend.

Jeebus.

But it did also mention the thing that annoyed me about the stupid people in the second movie--that they didn't believe him in the first one, and a little boy, Alex and that cute dog, Pippet, were killed.  So for them, and especially that asshole, DiMera played by Mascalo, pooh-poohing what Brody was saying was infuriating. But, I suppose if they hadn't, then we wouldn't have had a movie?

And I also have to disagree with the author's contention, that this Jaws, was "mostly not visible" or whatever he said. Because in the sequel, it was very much visible. There was no mystery to it, unlike the first one, and all we got was the ominous music that told us that that Jaws was hunting.  So when it showed up, I gasped and jumped.  And it wasn't until Quint, Hooperman and Brody were on The Orca that we got to see Bruce in all his glory!

This is one of my favorite movies of all time, despite the fact that sharks scare me unbelievably and irrationally to this very day. Although I am a total supporter of shark conservation efforts. (I grew up on sailboats on and off, and I was invariably always the one who swam right next to the ladder on the stern. ALWAYS.)

@GHScorpiosRuleJaws, for me, joins Jurassic Park as a movie that is far, far better than the book. I was really unimpressed with the novel, and hated how unlikable all the characters were -- in the book of Jaws, Brody's an ass, and Hooper and Brody's wife have an affair. It's all just... ugh.

While the movie's characters are all so rich, human and likable. One thing I get a kick out of, is the casting of Lorraine Gary as Ellen Brody. I mean, yeah it was basically the head of Universal (Sheinberg) casting his wife in the role, but what's awesome is -- she's absolutely wonderful. I love how warm and naturalistic she is, and her rapport with Roy Scheider was just terrific.

And I love Scheider, the tough guy, playing Brody as this sweet, kind guy who's slightly timid, who's scared of the water, and who's a good family man. It was just so much more fun to watch. (Best Scheider moments for me include his playing at the table with his little boy, his pouring the ginormous glass of wine, and his peeking down at his belly when Hooper and Quint are comparing scars.)

As a sailing family kid, I also love the subtle fact that you can actually see -- in spite of all the fear and suspense and worry -- the moment Brody falls in love with the sea. The scene where the boat is careening along after the shark, and Brody's surprised joy is visible, is just one of my favorite little moments in any movie, ever.

I also love the bromance between Brody and Hooper. Dreyfuss and Scheider are just really charming together. And I always love the fact that Quint unexpectedly bonds with Brody and Hooper as they set out on their quest. It makes the final chapter of the film that much more terrifying and moving. Quint's fate is so horrible and yet so inevitable, somehow.

So -- yeah -- I just love this and think it's a classic. The behind-the-scenes documentary is also so much fun -- Dreyfuss going, "The shark is working! The shark is working!" and Scheider relating how the woman who played Mrs. Kintner did not know how to do a stage-slap and just kept slapping the crap out of him for real in each take.

It doesn't hurt that -- on a completely shallow note -- I also find Jaws a complete hunk-fest, as I had huge crushes on Scheider and Dreyfuss in this ASAP, and Shaw's piercingly blue eyes ain't bad either.

@Ronin Jackson, that's an absolutely wonderful story of your viewing experience. I love that the movie's sheer awesomeness quieted down a silly, rowdy audience and turned it absolutely rapt.

It's a classic, still is, always will be.

• Love 3

I agree about Jaws and Jurassic Park - the movies are better than the books.  The other one I experienced like that is The Andromeda Strain (1971 version)  The novel tried to be "edgy" with the weird fonts and jump cuts - the movie, as experienced on tv by my 15 year old self - was tense and absorbing.  Notice that two of these have the same author.  His stuff is clearly better when he has additional writers and people who can act.

• Love 2

So I went to see Jaws in the theater last summer and I went with someone who had never seen the film before.  It was an amazing experience.  Seeing it on the big screen, seeing it with someone who had never seen it before . .  even though I've seen it many, MANY times, I still jumped and shouted, along with the rest of the movie audience. 

I own Jaws on DVD (along with the other movies in the franchise) and every time it's playing on TCM or another channel (preferably TCM with no commercials), I'll still stop and watch it. It never gets old.  It's a nearly perfect movie. 

On 2/22/2016 at 3:45 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

How's this for morbid? Actually, I'm not sure if morbid is the right word, but when I was watching JAWS this past weekend, after it had killed Quint, and was trying to get at Brody, its mouth all wide open, I'm seeing like...not sure what, hanging from its teeth. Cloth? Because it's teeth don't look chipped and/or broken...and I was so transfixed, it didn't occur to me to PAUSE the damned screen!  And now that I've typed this, my brain won't be able to block out the...stuff...hanging from its teeth.

If it's morbid, @GHScorpiosRule, I'm right there with you.  I've always noticed that in the scene you're referring to.  I always assumed it was bits of Quint's shirt and possibly flesh hanging from its teeth. 

• Love 2
On 6/22/2015 at 9:31 PM, raven said:

Went to JawsFest on Martha's Vineyard in 2005 for the 30th; they had a lot of stuff done up with Amity signs.  They screened the movie on the beach, which was a lot of fun.  We all laughed at the exchange where Hooper says "it's a tiger shark" and the fisherman "a whaaaat?"  LOL. And of course "that's some bad hat, Harry".

I keep telling people "That production company is called that because of a quote from JAWS."

They keep doubting me; maybe because they are now using a logo that pays homage to "The Usual Suspects"; a while back they actually did have a logo that "showed" that scene.

On 5/30/2015 at 10:53 AM, Shannon L. said:

I'm terrified of natural bodies of water and I've seen this movie a dozen times.

Jaws is why I don't go to the Beach or in the ocean. I am both terrified and in love with this movie. 

I will always be amazed how the lack of a working mechanical shark turned a standard b horror flick into a brilliant psychological horror movie.

The boat scene with both the story of the Indianapolis and "show me the way to go home" were fantastic

• Love 9