Type keyword(s) to search

Jaws (1975): 40 anniversary special release! (2 days only)

Shannon L.
  • Start Topic

22 minutes ago, Shannon L. said:

I love that it was such a well done movie that there wasn't much to pick on. 

Seriously! They had to use scenes from JAWS II to “show” how many people were killed when there weren’t that many in the first one! And had to edit in clips from the horrible fourth and last one, plus other movies!😝😆

Just leave the good ones alone! Not every movie has to be treated to their kind of satirical critique, as this one proves.

• Love 4
58 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Seriously! They had to use scenes from JAWS II to “show” how many people were killed when there weren’t that many in the first one! And had to edit in clips from the horrible fourth and last one, plus other movies!😝😆

Just leave the good ones alone! Not every movie has to be treated to their kind of satirical critique, as this one proves.

Although the part where they call out the mayor as the worst villain ever for opening up the beaches and endangering the lives of everyone for the economy was spot-on. Gee, why does that seem so familiar now...

• Love 5

I watched this again recently, and still recognize a few extras my sisters and I knew. I grew up outside Boston. I was in high school when this came out and saw it for the first time maybe a year later. My friend's brother had a summer job showing movies at a senior center. One night, he brought the screen, projector and film home, and we all watched Jaws floating on rafts in their pool. Terrifying. If you ever have the chance to go to a screening at a water park, and you have a strong heart, do it. 

• Love 2
On 6/20/2020 at 12:56 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

I read that the Rose Bowl is doing a drive in movie through the month of July  and Jaws is one of those movies.  I just heard about it this morning, the article I read was dated this morning and Jaws is so good that it's the only movie that is already sold out. 

• Love 2
33 minutes ago, Shannon L. said:

I read that the Rose Bowl is doing a drive in movie through the month of July  and Jaws is one of those movies.  I just heard about it this morning, the article I read was dated this morning and Jaws is so good that it's the only movie that is already sold out. 

I wish we had drive ins where I lived. I would SO go if we did and they played this. It's not as if I'll be going to the pool or the beach this summer.

• Love 2

Jaws, is without doubt one of my favourite films, even though it was made before I was even born!

Can't believe its approaching its half-century in just a few years time.

• Love 1

So. Someone posted a link to the Caine interview for the mock worthy 4, which led me to one of my favorite YouTube reviewers, so of course I’m watching the original-THE BEST, THANKYOUVERYMUCHYOUNGSTEVENSPIELBERG.

And I noticed how Michael had the New England “accent” but no sign of it in II.

And where was their second dog? I only saw the one!😆😆😅

But Martin Brody (Roy Scheider) is the most BADASSSEXYMOTHERFUCKERin this movie.

• Love 3

I got the 45th anniversary collector’s edition and got it on Blu-ray and it has cool special features, plus story boards. But BOO! That I couldn’t watch the 4K Ultra because while my teevee can play those, my Blu-ray player cannot.

But the storyboards by Alves shows the plan for how Hooper would have died had they followed the book and his death looked Horrific. Worse than what we got with Quint. And I’m glad Spielberg changed the ending. Brody killing Jaws was much more satisfying.

• Love 1
53 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I got the 45th anniversary collector’s edition and got it on Blu-ray and it has cool special features, plus story boards. But BOO! That I couldn’t watch the 4K Ultra because while my teevee can play those, my Blu-ray player cannot.

But the storyboards by Alves shows the plan for how Hooper would have died had they followed the book and his death looked Horrific. Worse than what we got with Quint. And I’m glad Spielberg changed the ending. Brody killing Jaws was much more satisfying.

Yeah, I’m glad we were spared that. The stuff we DID see—Quint, Chrissie, Alex, the dog, the corpse in the sunken boat—was bad enough.

57 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

Yeah, I’m glad we were spared that. The stuff we DID see—Quint, Chrissie, Alex, the dog, the corpse in the sunken boat—was bad enough.

I mean the storyboard had Hooper clamped between his mouth and Jaws shaking him back and forth and well, thrashing him. I wonder if Benchley wrote his death that way? It would have been more gruesome.

But I just 🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄 at the featurette about how many fans wanted to and did get slapped by the woman who played Alex’s mother. She apparently was/is a local. I thought bro go to Martha’s Vineyard to see some of the set pieces, but asshole scavengers have made that impossible. Still, maybe I’ll go later this year. Or maybe Maine for some whale 🐳 watching.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Hiyo said:

I remember reading the book and was surprised by how much had been changed for the movie.

I know of some changes. But I’m glad Spielberg changed how Jaws died. The book’s version was so boring and would have been anticlimactic.

I’m also glad Movie!Hooper was a good guy and that we were spared his affair with Mrs. Brody.

I want to read the book but it’s not available to loan out from the library in eforrmat.

• Love 1

Hooper surviving is a great example of making a change for the better. That shark footage with the empty cage does such a good job of demonstrating how strong these fish really are and I would not want it sacrificed just to keep one death consistent. Hooper surviving doesn't hurt the story so making the change in favor of the shark footage was the way to go.

Martin shooting at the tank and making Bruce explode is certainly more exciting than the shark drowning in the book but I still go back and forth on it. On the one hand it's more exciting and Jaws created the blockbuster genre of film so it makes sense to end with a literal bang. On the other having Bruce's corpse and exploded bits all around Martin and Hooper will attracted a ton of ocean life, including other sharks, and they were lucky to get back to shore alive. It's not a deal breaker or anything and is a result of watching Shark Week my whole life but that's what I think of when it ends.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, scarynikki12 said:

Hooper surviving is a great example of making a change for the better. That shark footage with the empty cage does such a good job of demonstrating how strong these fish really are and I would not want it sacrificed just to keep one death consistent. Hooper surviving doesn't hurt the story so making the change in favor of the shark footage was the way to go.

Martin shooting at the tank and making Bruce explode is certainly more exciting than the shark drowning in the book but I still go back and forth on it. On the one hand it's more exciting and Jaws created the blockbuster genre of film so it makes sense to end with a literal bang. On the other having Bruce's corpse and exploded bits all around Martin and Hooper will attracted a ton of ocean life, including other sharks, and they were lucky to get back to shore alive. It's not a deal breaker or anything and is a result of watching Shark Week my whole life but that's what I think of when it ends.

Absolutely agree with you about the change to keeping Hooper alive. And you could see that the sharks around the cage weren’t Bruce. First, they weren’t as big and their snouts were closed, so you couldn’t see their teeth. And that was also another Great White, whose snout got caught in the cage and went crazy, thrashing around. A huge thanks to the Taylors from Australia who provided the footage.

Bruce had to always have his mawl open due to the mechanical problems they had with him.

And it wasn’t until I recently watched a review mocking that last movie, that I learned the director was so fucking cheap, he used the EXACT scene from THE ORIGINAL as its death scene! As well as the scene with Michael and his daughter-which was ad libbed by Roy and Jay Mello. Pathetic.

Also in the feature about the legacy of this movie, I learned that the story about the USS Indianapolis was written in. Shaw cut down the 15 pages to 5. It wasn’t in the book because we didn’t learn about it when Benchley wrote the book.

I won’t lie. I got all misty when I saw at the end of that featurette, the “In Loving Memory” of Roy, Benchley, David Brown(one of the producers), Robert Shaw, and Chris Rebello, who played Michael. He passed away of a heart attack in 2000. He was only 42.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Also in the feature about the legacy of this movie, I learned that the story about the USS Indianapolis was written in. Shaw cut down the 15 pages to 5.

The Indianapolis speech is a stunning moment in filmmaking. I like how Kevin Smith described it in one of his podcasts years ago: "My favorite part of Jaws, I think one of the most profoundly impactful parts of Jaws everybody talks about is the Indianapolis speech. Least cinematic part of the movie... literally just hanging a camera on a guy that's talking. That's the least cinematic thing you could do in a movie, put a camera on a motherfucker. Kevin Smith could have shot that scene, that's how fucking easy that scene is to shoot and surrounded by the scene is a bunch of movie with fucking rubber sharks, and fucking people getting eating, and cool shit, and muted POV cameras, and that music and shit. But like so many people, I think I would say everybody, remembers that fucking speech and they didn't cut to flashbacks of like 'here's the sharks biting people and shit' it's literally just Robert Shaw telling a story and reaction shots of like Richard Dreyfuss and Roy Scheider that's some epic storytelling dude. Yeah like in the middle of the special effect extravaganza where you've created the summer blockbuster and everybody's sitting around going 'OH MY GOD!' you stop and do the oldest thing book like listen to the this guy tell a story and everybody looks at somebody talking." Kevin tends to ramble when he talks but he nails the impact of that scene. It really speaks to Spielberg's genius that he's capable of changing the cinematic landscape with everything that we got from Jaws and so many other movies but he also knows and understands basic filmmaking so well that he knows that sometimes the most effective tools a director has are the basic ones. 

• Love 2