Type keyword(s) to search

General True Crime Shows

Jaded
  • Start Topic

The Home Alone production has GOT to do better.  Again, five people in a house is in no way alone.  But they've also got to hire actors who know how to do accents properly.  I swear half of these reenactment shows are filmed either in the UK or with British actors, so maybe they have an excuse for not doing a reasonable American southern accent. But on this last episode, the actress playing the main narrator, Cheryl, had such a ridiculous accent that it took me right out of the action any time she said anything.

• Love 3
26 minutes ago, Lizzing said:

The Home Alone production has GOT to do better.  Again, five people in a house is in no way alone.  But they've also got to hire actors who know how to do accents properly.  I swear half of these reenactment shows are filmed either in the UK or with British actors, so maybe they have an excuse for not doing a reasonable American southern accent. But on this last episode, the actress playing the main narrator, Cheryl, had such a ridiculous accent that it took me right out of the action any time she said anything.

Yes, you'd think with all the possible titles for a "new" true crime show (remember our own long list of suggested ID show titles?), they'd choose one more fitting for the crimes they are presenting.  Or, at the very least, cover some crimes where the victim was actually home ALONE.

The narrator's accent bothered me, too.

• Love 3

Anyone watching Murder Castle on ID Discovery?  It's like a mini series.  It's pretty bizarre.  It's supposedly based on a true story. 

Ref. the promos on ID Discovery: the girl cracks me up who is playing a corpse lying on the ground and the camera zooms in on her, she raises up, winks then smiles for the camera. lol  It cracks me up every time. 

• Love 3
6 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

Yes, you'd think with all the possible titles for a "new" true crime show (remember our own long list of suggested ID show titles?), they'd choose one more fitting for the crimes they are presenting.  Or, at the very least, cover some crimes where the victim was actually home ALONE.

The narrator's accent bothered me, too.

Yeah, it really should be called Held Hostage or Crazy Ex or something. Their not home alone, their being held at gun point by a crazy ex. 

• Love 3

Yeah, I like "Web of Lies". That story is heartbreaking. I sympathized when the teen's parents beat on that game table that was sitting in the garage. Gotta let that anger out somehow. I don't know how the woman who taunted that girl can sleep at night. 

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

Yeah, I like "Web of Lies". That story is heartbreaking. I sympathized when the teen's parents beat on that game table that was sitting in the garage. Gotta let that anger out somehow. I don't know how the woman who taunted that girl can sleep at night. 

Me either.  Plus, there were so many things that happened where people dropped the ball in that case, like, relying on the word of an already emotionally disturbed teen to shut down the computer, on a picky promise. I mean......it just seemed like so much was ignored with her.  I mean, who doesn't confirm a young man's identity when your child is so obsessed?  IT was quite shocking to me.  

What I didn't get is why the mother/neighbor continued to taunt the family by inviting them to their daughter's birthday and asking to use their garage for storage.  If anyone that I knew was that insensitive, I'd take that as concrete proof that they were were insane or pure evil.  I mean, it doesn't make even a little bit of sense.  Even before knowing that she was the catfisher, her post death behavior was cruel.  Maybe, no criminal charges would stick, but, definitely, Intentional Infliction of Emotional Distress. (civil and ask for damages.)

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 6

.Good question. I completely agree-that behavior takes it to sociopathic levels for me.

3 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Me either.  Plus, there were so many things that happened where people dropped the ball in that case, like, relying on the word of an already emotionally disturbed teen to shut down the computer, on a picky promise. I mean......it just seemed like so much was ignored with her.  I mean, who doesn't confirm a young man's identity when your child is so obsessed?  IT was quite shocking to me.  

I've noticed that's been something of a common theme in a lot of the stories involving teens on this show. A lot of the parents seemed to struggle with, or weren't well-versed in, the internet and all that comes with it. And even when they did try and put restrictions on their kids' internet activity, the kids found ways to sneak around those restrictions. And of course, there's often a lot the kids themselves never share, too, so the parents truly are in the dark as a result. Stories like this just make me really, really glad that my family didn't get a computer in our home until I was in my late teens, and that Facebook/Twitter/Tumblr/MySpace didn't exist when I was a teenager. 

I'm always amazed at how, despite all these stories, people still seem to think nothing of openly sharing so much about their personal lives online. 

• Love 4
9 hours ago, Josette said:

Anyone watching Murder Castle on ID Discovery?  It's like a mini series.  It's pretty bizarre.  It's supposedly based on a true story. 

Yeah, that's about H.H. Holmes.  There's a movie being developed based on the book The Devil in the White City.  Leonardo DiCaprio is supposed to play Holmes.

They also did an episode about Holmes on the sci-fi show Timeless earlier this year:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt6332684/?ref_=ttep_ep1

The book is great BTW, a real modern classic of true crime.

• Love 2

Yesterday I watched a Stranger in My Home episode that hours later is still making me upset.  It was from 2014, called "Thorny Rose of Texas".  Suzanne Basso lured this super sweet, mentally challenged man named Buddy Musso from his assisted living home in NJ to her home in Texas.  Basso lived there with her adult son and four other people.  She took out an insurance policy on Buddy, so you know where that's going.  It's what happened that still has me so upset.  I don't know why it was a Stranger in My Home episode.  Buddy was tortured by those people; unspeakable torture and was dead, body dumped, 16 days after he arrived in Texas.    He was murdered in 1998 and Basso was executed in 2014.  While I'm ambivalent about the DP, it was made for monsters like her.

Buddy was such a sweet man.  Just childlike and trusting.  He was so excited to move to Texas to marry Basso because he wanted to be a cowboy.  How five people could all participate in his torture is beyond comprehension.  Maybe that's why is still upsetting.  Horrifying.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzanne_Basso

http://www.slice.ca/a-stranger-in-my-home/episode-guide/thorny-rose-of-texas/

Feels a little better to "talk" about it.  No one in RL wants to hear about these shows.  

• Love 8
25 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

Ugh, yeah, I remember that episode. Very upsetting indeed. That poor man. The sheer cruelty of some people is just...unfathomable. 

I was sobbing as it went on.  When they were making him run in the park and the cop checked on him and talked with him, I so wanted him to just grab hold of the cop, but he was too scared.  These shows always have that blanket warning that some scenes may be too graphic for some viewers which have never applied to me, but it did with this one.   I'm glad she's not taking up oxygen anymore.  And the others said they were "scared" of her.  I suppose that could be true, but they were so often alone as a group with Buddy.  No justification since they were willing participants in his torture.  

• Love 4

Yeah, some of these stories can really hit you in the gut. Doesn't matter how often you read and watch true crime shows, there will always be those stories that haunt you and stick with you. 

And I agree that the others in the group had chances to rescue Buddy from all of this, too. Unless they were so deeply brainwashed that they didn't even think of that option, I dunno, but still. That's always the most frustrating part of these stories, the moments when the story is so close to possibly ending on a better note, only for that brief moment of potential help and hope to be dashed. 

• Love 4
14 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

Yeah, some of these stories can really hit you in the gut. Doesn't matter how often you read and watch true crime shows, there will always be those stories that haunt you and stick with you. 

And I agree that the others in the group had chances to rescue Buddy from all of this, too. Unless they were so deeply brainwashed that they didn't even think of that option, I dunno, but still. That's always the most frustrating part of these stories, the moments when the story is so close to possibly ending on a better note, only for that brief moment of potential help and hope to be dashed. 

I sure appreciate you engaging with me about it -- I had to talk about it.  I was such a CTV person, but never heard of this murder.  The other one that truly haunts me is little Jessica Lunsford.  Another victim that could have been saved but for utterly cowardly or I don't give sh*t "roomates".  

And I fretted about Buddy all day and night -- on Halloween yet.  No worst monsters are the ones who don't dress up in costumes.    

• Love 4

I started watching Horror on the Homestead, about the guy who's the Canadian serial killer record holder, and I'm wondering if it gets too explicit for me, as far

as what he did.
Already I'm angry because the prosector dropped charges for the woman who escaped, probably causing more deaths.
Anyone watch this?

• Love 2
44 minutes ago, Otter said:

I sure appreciate you engaging with me about it -- I had to talk about it.  I was such a CTV person, but never heard of this murder.  The other one that truly haunts me is little Jessica Lunsford.  Another victim that could have been saved but for utterly cowardly or I don't give sh*t "roomates".  

No problem :). True crime isn't exactly something that your average person can easily bring up in conversation with just anyone, so yeah, it's good to have a place where we can discuss cases like this, and vent about the ones that bothered us. 

I don't know that I've heard of the Lunsford case before, reading the Wikipedia article on it now. Oh, god. That poor little girl. This bit of the article is especially heartbreaking:

Her body had undergone "moderate" to "severe" decomposition and according to the publicly released autopsy reports was skeletonized on two fingers that Lunsford had poked through the bags before suffocating to death.

What a haunting image. I feel for her family. 

(She shared my birth date, too, which strikes me eerie for some reason.)

Says in the article the creep who did this is dead now. Good riddance to him. 

• Love 1

@Annber03 I watched the trial on CTV.  He buried her alive, but in his "compassion" put her favorite stuffed toy in the bag with her.  Horrible, horrible crime.  It all took place in some broken down, tiny mobile home with 3 adults living there, not including Cooey.  They said they had not a clue that child was being raped in a closet for days.  Oh please.  NOTHING happened to any of them.  

Jessica and her dad lived with his parents and he worked the night shift.  This is a sad part, and the sheriff discounted it.  Jessica's grandma failed her lie detector because she felt so guilty and responsible since she was taking care of her while dad was working.  Maybe why LD's aren't ever entered into criminal cases.  I get how her guilt made the test so flawed.  

Happy birthday to both of you and her dad became a real activist for stranger kidnapping along with Danielle Van Dam's parents.  Testifying before Congress, but like too many things, was years ago and forgotten.  

• Love 2

I don't know much about the case mentioned above, but, I am alarmed at the recent cases where one parent VOLUNTARILY exposes their children to a known VIOLENT CRIMINAL.  IT's now quite common for the mother to meet the known, violent criminal and welcome him into the lives of their kids.  Family members beg them to stay way and plead for  them to keep the children away from the offender. Often these men have long criminal records and are under Restraining Orders from other women due to abuse. But, they insist that the man continue to have access to the kids.  AND EVEN HAVE A CHILD with the offender. And then, the offender harms or kills the child.  Often as punishment to the mother.  And the mother then says she's devastated.  Please. 

I've decided to start a volunteer group to examine this type of situation.  Certainly, something can be done to help protect the kids.  Maybe, we should explore MORE information, though, there are plenty of organizations who help house and protect victims of domestic violence.  But, maybe, the parent who knowingly exposes their child to a violent person needs to be prosecuted too.  And held responsible when the child is murdered.  I mean, it's not like they are blameless.  I'm going to make some calls and see how to start.  In my community, it's just become ridiculous. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 5
On 11/1/2017 at 3:37 PM, Otter said:

Yesterday I watched a Stranger in My Home episode that hours later is still making me upset.  It was from 2014, called "Thorny Rose of Texas".  Suzanne Basso lured this super sweet, mentally challenged man named Buddy Musso from his assisted living home in NJ to her home in Texas.  Basso lived there with her adult son and four other people.  She took out an insurance policy on Buddy, so you know where that's going.  It's what happened that still has me so upset.  I don't know why it was a Stranger in My Home episode.  Buddy was tortured by those people; unspeakable torture and was dead, body dumped, 16 days after he arrived in Texas.    He was murdered in 1998 and Basso was executed in 2014.  While I'm ambivalent about the DP, it was made for monsters like her.

Buddy was such a sweet man.  Just childlike and trusting.  He was so excited to move to Texas to marry Basso because he wanted to be a cowboy.  How five people could all participate in his torture is beyond comprehension.  Maybe that's why is still upsetting.  Horrifying.

http://www.slice.ca/a-stranger-in-my-home/episode-guide/thorny-rose-of-texas/

Feels a little better to "talk" about it.  No one in RL wants to hear about these shows.  

I remember reading about this case. Very heartbroken. Some if not all of the people who helped her also had limited mental capabilities. She was also receiving their checks. I thought that she had the DP, but I am not sure. 

• Love 1
22 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I don't know much about the case mentioned above, but, I am alarmed at the recent cases where one parent VOLUNTARILY exposes their children to a known VIOLENT CRIMINAL.  IT's now quite common for the mother to meet the known, violent criminal and welcome him into the lives of their kids.  Family members beg them to stay way and plead for  them to keep the children away from the offender. Often these men have long criminal records and are under Restraining Orders from other women due to abuse. But, they insist that the man continue to have access to the kids.  AND EVEN HAVE A CHILD with the offender. And then, the offender harms or kills the child.  Often as punishment to the mother.  And the mother then says she's devastated.  Please. 

I've decided to start a volunteer group to examine this type of situation.  Certainly, something can be done to help protect the kids.  Maybe, we should explore MORE information, though, there are plenty of organizations who help house and protect victims of domestic violence.  But, maybe, the parent who knowingly exposes their child to a violent person needs to be prosecuted too.  And held responsible when the child is murdered.  I mean, it's not like they are blameless.  I'm going to make some calls and see how to start.  In my community, it's just become ridiculous. 

Not to defend these people. That's despicable. However, often times the abuse of the kids go hand in hand with domestic violence. I know that it's easy for us to say what we would have done. Often times, they want to get out but are trapped with drug, mental, and physical abuse. Remember Hedda Nussbaum? Or there was one case where the woman's husband was abusing her and the kids. The son killed the Dad, and 20+ years later he killed the mom. I try my best (and often fail) not to judge these women. I remember crouching in the tub as a child because my cousin's husband was out to kill her. I asked her why didn't she leave, but he paid all of the bills. He controlled everything. It took us (and prison) to finally get her away from him.

Another thing is women often think that we can change a man. If we just love him a little bit more, he will change from being a violent criminal. Of course we know that he probably won't change, but some women don't understand that. 

• Love 7

I'm sorry for your pain from childhood.  That has to be hard to live with. I know that you must have a very unique perspective. 

I do recognize that facts vary and that some women may be in a situation where they were FOOLED into believing a guy is nice and kind. But, what I am addressing are women who START the relationship AFTER the man has a serious criminal record for violence.  When the man has been in prison for felony assault, domestic battery and is known in the community as a violent person.  When the woman's family AND the abuser's family beg her to not get involved with this violent person and to run for their life. And that he is dangerous for the kids.  When he has beaten his other girlfriends and children and put them in the hospital.  When the woman knowing all this, brings the man into her home and provides him access to her kids under those circumstances, then, I say there should be criminal liability on the mother, when she puts the kids there and then does nothing.  It's inexcusable, imo.  To me, if  the mother believes she can change the man, that's her right, though, not with the kids at his disposal.  

I can't help but recall the show that featured a mother who knew her boyfriend was a convicted child sex offender, but, she brought him in to her family and teen daughter.  He ended up killing her daughter.  I think that lady did end up getting some kind of charge. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 6
On 11/1/2017 at 4:37 PM, Otter said:

I didn't know of this case before - horrible.  I was startled to read in the Wikipedia entry you linked that Suzanne Basso's mother was the older sister of Robert Garrow (!) 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Garrow

• Love 2
On 11/3/2017 at 8:32 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

I'm sorry for your pain from childhood.  That has to be hard to live with. I know that you must have a very unique perspective. 

I do recognize that facts vary and that some women may be in a situation where they were FOOLED into believing a guy is nice and kind. But, what I am addressing are women who START the relationship AFTER the man has a serious criminal record for violence.  When the man has been in prison for felony assault, domestic battery and is known in the community as a violent person.  When the woman's family AND the abuser's family beg her to not get involved with this violent person and to run for their life. And that he is dangerous for the kids.  When he has beaten his other girlfriends and children and put them in the hospital.  When the woman knowing all this, brings the man into her home and provides him access to her kids under those circumstances, then, I say there should be criminal liability on the mother, when she puts the kids there and then does nothing.  It's inexcusable, imo.  To me, if  the mother believes she can change the man, that's her right, though, not with the kids at his disposal.  

I can't help but recall the show that featured a mother who knew her boyfriend was a convicted child sex offender, but, she brought him in to her family and teen daughter.  He ended up killing her daughter.  I think that lady did end up getting some kind of charge. 

That's the "if I love him enough he will change mentality" I don't understand it, but I have never been there, so I can't judge. 

• Love 1
23 hours ago, ratgirlagogo said:

I didn't know of this case before - horrible.  I was startled to read in the Wikipedia entry you linked that Suzanne Basso's mother was the older sister of Robert Garrow (!) 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Garrow

Her upbringing sounded like an absolute nightmare, not that I believe that is any sort of excuse for the horror she subjected Buddy to, and also her daughter spoke of terrible abuse at the hands of her parents.  I hope the daughter was one who broke the cycle.  

And I was so intent on reading about Basso, I kind of glossed over Robert Garrow being her uncle!  How weird is that?  Generations of sociopaths!  This article about the crime and the trial is very interesting.  The show didn't say much of anything about the trial, but that she was found guilty and executed.  Manipulative to the end.  

https://www.thoughtco.com/the-crimes-of-suzanne-basso-971328

• Love 2
On 11/3/2017 at 5:24 AM, Queena said:

Not to defend these people. That's despicable. However, often times the abuse of the kids go hand in hand with domestic violence. I know that it's easy for us to say what we would have done. Often times, they want to get out but are trapped with drug, mental, and physical abuse. Remember Hedda Nussbaum? Or there was one case where the woman's husband was abusing her and the kids. The son killed the Dad, and 20+ years later he killed the mom. I try my best (and often fail) not to judge these women. I remember crouching in the tub as a child because my cousin's husband was out to kill her. I asked her why didn't she leave, but he paid all of the bills. He controlled everything. It took us (and prison) to finally get her away from him.

Another thing is women often think that we can change a man. If we just love him a little bit more, he will change from being a violent criminal. Of course we know that he probably won't change, but some women don't understand that. 

Since I have already said a ton on this topic, I will just say, "Thanks, and I am sorry." I am so over people who blame women for the behavior of men. 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, azshadowwalker said:

Since I have already said a ton on this topic, I will just say, "Thanks, and I am sorry." I am so over people who blame women for the behavior of men. 

I most certainly wasn't doing that. I'm sorry if it appears that I was. I try to be understanding in these type of situations. 

• Love 3
On ‎11‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 5:35 PM, Otter said:

I was sobbing as it went on.  When they were making him run in the park and the cop checked on him and talked with him, I so wanted him to just grab hold of the cop, but he was too scared.  These shows always have that blanket warning that some scenes may be too graphic for some viewers which have never applied to me, but it did with this one.   I'm glad she's not taking up oxygen anymore.  And the others said they were "scared" of her.  I suppose that could be true, but they were so often alone as a group with Buddy.  No justification since they were willing participants in his torture.  

Me too.  The line that got me was when his friend (actual friend) said that he could only imagine Buddy looking at them and thinking, "what is going on?" because he was so innocent and would not have understood why it was happening to him.  Monsters do indeed live amongst us.  And the mob mentality is so frightening (every episode of "Murder Among Friends" reminds me of this fact).

Last night's Paula Zahn episode gave me chills up my spine.  He just chose the house randomly and the door was unlocked.  Good God.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, TheGreenWave said:

Last night's Paula Zahn episode gave me chills up my spine.  He just chose the house randomly and the door was unlocked.  Good God.

We were going to watch her show last night, and I only it through about 2 of her sentences.  I just can't abide her anymore.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Brattinella said:

We were going to watch her show last night, and I only it through about 2 of her sentences.  I just can't abide her anymore.

I have the same feeling about Chris Hansen.  I just cannot make it through his show.

Aaaand the narrator on Deadly Women.  Can't do that either.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Queena said:

I most certainly wasn't doing that. I'm sorry if it appears that I was. I try to be understanding in these type of situations. 

No, @Queena, I am actually very much in support of your comment and heard it loud and clear. Again, thank you for your honesty and openness. 

My comments about blaming women were referring to the post you had quoted. Unfortunately, those nested quotes don't come through on the board. 

Edited by azshadowwalker
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, Brattinella said:

We were going to watch her show last night, and I only it through about 2 of her sentences.  I just can't abide her anymore

It's still the coroner, I Speak for the Dead, that I can't abide.  If the story is good, I ff through his scenes.
This show is now showing up in repeats on Discovery Life, usually along with Dr. G,Medical Examiner, a real doctor, most of whose shows don't feature crimes.
Love her, except when she's driving and phoning.

• Love 5

Can someone help me with the name of the young boy who was found guilty of adult murder and given a life sentence a number of years ago?  It was featured on ID Discovery channel yesterday as a repeat. The young boy had bright red hair.  He's been in prison for a long time.  I think, for over 20 years.  Since that time, a lot of young boys have been found guilty of murder and punished as adults. I think he was one of the first famous ones, though.  I believe he murdered another boy, who was younger than him. 

• Love 1

I did see a long preview of the Elizabeth Smart upcoming special.  (I searched and didn't find a thread for it.)  It actually looked very interesting.  I think that I will watch.  If others are interested, I may start a thread on it. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 3

Did anyone watch Dead Silent about the murder of Stephanie Neiman last night? It was both sad and frustrating to watch.

It left me wondering some things? Why did Stephanie's friend have her come in the house with the criminals? She could've driven off to get help? Then, there was Stephanie herself initially refusing to give them her truck keys. When the other two hostages said they wouldn't tell anyone, she says that she would. I know her family chalked it up to her sense of right and wrong, but you can know right and wrong while practicing some self-preservation. Just lie to the criminals that you'll keep quiet, and go to the cops when they leave. Maybe it was that she was young. Also, when the other two are released, they didn't even go try to find her? Like I said, sad and frustrating. 

I remember the local news around Lockett's botched execution. There was controversy around the painful heart attack he suffered before dying. Well, in my opinion, I'm sure Stephanie was in pain from being shot and buried alive so *shrug*. He got what he deserved. 

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/courts/death-row-inmate-killed-teen-because-she-wouldn-t-back/article_e459564b-5c60-5145-a1ce-bbd17a14417b.html

http://www.cnn.com/2015/03/16/politics/clayton-lockett-oklahoma-execution/index.html

• Love 9
15 minutes ago, InDueTime said:

Why did Stephanie's friend have her come in the house with the criminals? She could've driven off to get help? 

I wondered about that, too. Obviously she was scared about what they might do, so I can sympathize with that, but yeah, that would've been a perfect opportunity to jump back in and just yell, "GO, and do NOT stop for whatever reason." And then they could've gone to the police, or called them from somewhere, or something. 

Course, considering Summer saw that guy all beaten and bloodied in the house when she first went in there, perhaps she felt she couldn't bear to leave him alone to deal with those creeps, even if only for a few minutes, while they went to try and get help.

Then, there was Stephanie herself initially refusing to give them her truck keys. When the other two hostages said they wouldn't tell anyone, she says that she would. I know her family chalked it up to her sense of right and wrong, but you can know right and wrong while practicing some self-preservation. Just lie to the criminals that you'll keep quiet, and go to the cops when they leave. Maybe it was that she was young. 

Also agreed. It's so tough in these kinds of situations, though...some people have managed to survive by fighting back, others, their passiveness worked in their favor. Just seems to be a real crap shoot. I too would've personally thought, "Screw the truck" and let them have it if it meant a chance I could live, but I admired her willingness to fight back all the same. I think that's why what happened to her was all the more heartbreaking-she fought back so hard, and even managed to survive getting shot for a time as well, and yet in the end all her efforts were in vain.

Also, when the other two are released, they didn't even go try to find her?

Those guys did one hell of a job of instilling fear in them. If somebody hadn't come to see why that guy hadn't shown up for work the next day, I honestly do think they would've kept their promise and not told anyone what happened. And I can see them being scared to even set foot in those woods again, too-traumatic flashbacks, and the fear those guys might be hanging around there somewhere or something waiting for them. 

I'm not a supporter of the death penalty, but regarding your links, yeah, I'm not exactly sorry the creep is gone. 

• Love 5
12 hours ago, Brattinella said:

What the HELL is the deal with Home Alone???  They are deliberately obtuse, and withholding facts, and not explaining ANYTHING that is going on!!  WHO is in the hospital?  What is the gun thing about?  JFC!

Damn straight!  It was entirely frustrating.  I mean, I kinda figured it was the ex husband, because it's nearly 99% always someone's ex (aside from that weird break in story a few weeks back), but there was no reason to be dancing around who Valerie was afraid of.  Then, the story didn't make sense.  They said, several times, that the sheriff came and took all the guns out of the house when Robert went off his meds.  When Valerie went into the kitchen to get the water, on the wall were hanging FOUR SHOTGUNS*!  Get the set decorator the script, FFS.  And when the son went out and was intercepted by the cops, the cops said they had the house surrounded....if so, what the hell was going on with the team on the back door?  Did they take a nap?  Were they not listening to track the movement in the house?

Aside from that episode about the 2 guys breaking into the house, this show seems like a spin off of Obsession: Dark Desires, except for years long obsessions, these are on an accelerated timeline.  Plus both shows are done by the same production company and both are acted out by a bunch of unknown (at least in the US) UK actors.

*They looked like shotguns to me, at any rate.  They may have technically been different types of guns, like muskets, but they were definitely guns of some kind.

• Love 8
On 11/8/2017 at 5:00 PM, InDueTime said:

Did anyone watch Dead Silent about the murder of Stephanie Neiman last night? It was both sad and frustrating to watch.

I can't watch Dead Silent. I was watching the one about the couple camping in Northern California. After the man was shot, the sounds of the actress sobbing while being told to take her clothes off was very triggering for me. I don't really believe in trigger warnings, but I do believe in triggers for extreme trauma. The re-enactments on the show are just too much for me. 

• Love 5
On 11/8/2017 at 7:14 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

I did see a long preview of the Elizabeth Smart upcoming special.  (I searched and didn't find a thread for it.)  It actually looked very interesting.  I think that I will watch.  If others are interested, I may start a thread on it. 

I’m interested! I won’t be able to watch the special, unfortunately. 

I'm watching Your Worst Nightmare - While She Was Sleeping

I am so confused.  After several murders, and an attempted murder, they have a police officer stakeout the surviving woman's home.  The killer indeed comes back, the officer shoots him and then goes upstairs to tell the victim to stay put.  While he is upstairs, the killer escapes through the glass back door.  WTF???  Why didn't the officer keep his gun on him until help arrived?  It's not over, but I cannot believe how stupid this offficer is....and he's narrating his part.  ??

5 hours ago, azshadowwalker said:

I can't watch Dead Silent. I was watching the one about the couple camping in Northern California. After the man was shot, the sounds of the actress sobbing while being told to take her clothes off was very triggering for me. I don't really believe in trigger warnings, but I do believe in triggers for extreme trauma. The re-enactments on the show are just too much for me. 

I don't care for reenactments either.  

• Love 3

Looks like ID is doing a movie about Rodney Alcala(" The Dating Game Killer"), and according to the promo, the real Alcala is actually better-looking than they guy playing him.

And last night, I watched an episode of 48 Hours about the [URL=https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Butler_(private_investigator)]PI Moms[/URL], and who was the whistleblower who brought Butler down?   Young Joe Kenda!

Edited by smittykins
  • Love 4