Type keyword(s) to search

General True Crime Shows

Jaded
  • Start Topic

(edited)
1 hour ago, partofme said:

My mom has Netflix so I have access to it, there's just never anything on it that I want to watch.  Their movie selection sucks and I don't like binge watching tv series.

I agree. I have Hulu, my daughter has Netflix and we share log in info. Hulu is so much better. I think in the 2 years I've had Netflix I've only watched it twice. 

The Casting JonBenet thing sucked. 

Edited by Maharincess
Because my and NY are not the same.
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Maharincess said:

The Casting JonBenet thing sucked. 

I didn't even consider watching it. It looked stupid and gross. I do love binge watching. Just watched "13 reasons why". Loved it!

• Love 3
(edited)
On 4/24/2017 at 7:06 PM, One Tough Cookie said:

Did anyone watch the Joyce Mitchell movie last  night?  IT was called The Seduction of Joyce Mitchell and was, for me, compelling.  If  were Joyce, I''d probably want to hide in prison for the rest of my life after being the subject of this movie.  It did her no favors and, IMO should be played every time the bitch comes up for parole.

Just finished watching it and I thought it was worked well as a dark comedy. Naturally, if it hadn't ended the way it did there would have been nothing to laugh at. And although Joyce probably isn't as hapless as they made her out to be, the movie struck just the right sardonic tone. Those two cons were able to play her like a fiddle. But she was using them just as much because where in the real world would she have been able to play the femme fatale?

And then there was this bit of dialog:

Detective: Mrs. Mitchell? You know that one of these men shot and ran over a sheriff's deputy?

J.M.:  (whimpers) Yes

Detective: And that the other man tortured a man to death, sawed him into pieces and threw the pieces into the river?

JM:  (meekly) Yes

Detective: And you gave them the means to escape from prison into the population?

JM:  Everybody says I'm too nice....

I don't know if she actually said it or if it came from the writers' imaginations but it pretty much summed up her defense. Oh and that she was afraid of them. Meanwhile last I heard her husband is still patiently waiting for her. He even wrote a letter of support for her recent (unsuccessful) parole hearing. Guess it's true - you can't fix stupid.

http://www.newyorkupstate.com/northern-ny/2017/02/joyce_mitchell_parole.html

What she did was unconscionable. She's lucky no one was killed by Matt and Sweat when they were on the run. She would have been looking at a lot more than 7 years.

Edited by Mannahatta
  • Love 5

On ID, just now, I turned on "Love Kills" episode title "It was all a big fantasy".  I am 5 minutes in, and I had to change the channel.  It was probably an interesting episode, but the woman who is talking has THE MOST OBNOXIOUS VOICE.  I just couldn't stand it for a moment longer.  Maybe someone can give a summary when it is over, please?

• Love 5
42 minutes ago, Brattinella said:

On ID, just now, I turned on "Love Kills" episode title "It was all a big fantasy".  I am 5 minutes in, and I had to change the channel.  It was probably an interesting episode, but the woman who is talking has THE MOST OBNOXIOUS VOICE.  I just couldn't stand it for a moment longer.  Maybe someone can give a summary when it is over, please?

I recorded it so I'm now 6 minutes into it.... I do believe ID may be trying to attract Comedy Central's audience. So far the style challenged Josh, whose family owns a 180 acre dairy farm, has informed us that "Sex with Donna was unbelievable." and shortly afterwards "Just as soon as she started milking cows I fell in love with her." Meanwhile Donna has a vocal fry so pronounced that her voice sounds like a death rattle.  I don't know who eventually gets harmed in this story but I feel the greatest sympathy for them - not only for their unfortunate end but for having their name forever linked to this show. Not sure if I'll be able to make it much further myself......

• Love 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, Mannahatta said:

I recorded it so I'm now 6 minutes into it.... I do believe ID may be trying to attract Comedy Central's audience. So far the style challenged Josh, whose family owns a 180 acre dairy farm, has informed us that "Sex with Donna was unbelievable." and shortly afterwards "Just as soon as she started milking cows I fell in love with her." Meanwhile Donna has a vocal fry so pronounced that her voice sounds like a death rattle.  I don't know who eventually gets harmed in this story but I feel the greatest sympathy for them - not only for their unfortunate end but for having their name forever linked to this show. Not sure if I'll be able to make it much further myself......

You're a better (wo)man than I am, Gunga Din!  Thank you!

ETA:  No offense meant, It is a quote.

Edited by Brattinella
  • Love 3
18 hours ago, Brattinella said:

I used to have this issue (sort of) with the narrator on Deadly Women (not Candice, but the voiceover lady). No matter what she was saying--"He drove his car over to her office, stopping for coffee on the way."--it was fraught with intrigue and peril, and also super-nasal. 

• Love 4
(edited)
18 hours ago, Brattinella said:

17 hours ago, Mannahatta said:

ID may be trying to attract Comedy Central's audience. So far the style challenged Josh, whose family owns a 180 acre dairy farm, has informed us that "Sex with Donna was unbelievable." and shortly afterwards "Just as soon as she started milking cows I fell in love with her." Meanwhile Donna has a vocal fry so pronounced that her voice sounds like a death rattle.

I liked the casting, because both reenactors had less annoying voices than the real Donna Enman and Josh Osbourne, but still similar:

@Brattinella One of them shot Josh's mom, Janette Osbourne, in the chest in Farmington, Maine, in 2003. (Josh was 21; Donna 26.) Janette jumped in the car and skedaddled, while Josh "tried to shoot out her tires." He and then-girlfriend Donna were angry that recently widowed Janette wouldn't fork over the family farm. (Or, as Josh pronounces it, "fahm.") Josh had dropped out of school in the sixth grade to work on the farm, but Janette was selling it.

This was the only Love Kills which never reveals whodunnit. They each plead out and served two years. They eventually broke up. 

Edited by editorgrrl
PS. Janette wasn't interviewed.
  • Love 5

I know Crime Watch Daily has it's own forum, but the story of Marilyn Stanley & Zachary Gross just made so angry.  First, she visits an abusive ex boyfriend.  But then gross Gross brutally beat her, sicced his dog on her (the dog did bite her ear) and then he scalped her.  Oh, but he handed her her scalp in a plastic bag, wrapped her in a hoodie & drove her home.  Then this POS had the fucking nerve to blame his pit bull for the entire attack.  The judge & jury didn't believe him, because of the mountain of evidence against him.  He got 20 years (and 34 days for contempt of court).  She is permanently disfigured.  The poor pitbull is awaiting a court ordered euthanasia; another victim of this sicko.

• Love 1

I love crime watch daily. I have it recording series on DVR. And, didn't know it has it's own forum. I just like to come here and discuss crime. I like Ashley Banfield's show too. Couldn't find a forum for it either. Haven't watched Crime watch yet today. I did want to say that last Fear thy neighbor and that stepmom show were just horrific. I had to watch 3 hours of stand up comedy after watching those just to get to sleep.?

• Love 4
15 hours ago, hoosiermom said:

I love crime watch daily. I have it recording series on DVR. And, didn't know it has it's own forum. I just like to come here and discuss crime. I like Ashley Banfield's show too. Couldn't find a forum for it either. Haven't watched Crime watch yet today. I did want to say that last Fear thy neighbor and that stepmom show were just horrific. I had to watch 3 hours of stand up comedy after watching those just to get to sleep.?

I had a hard time with Fear Thy Neighbor. There was a lot of blame to go around however Joe was definitely off. 35 dogs is not a healthy situation. Stepmom infuriated me that was a hard one to watch. I was glad they were both new stories that were new to me but definitely hard to leave behind...

• Love 5
(edited)

I just discovered "Obsession: Dark Desires" on ID and boy is it horrifying based on the two I've seen so far.  "SOS SMS" was truly creepy and suspenseful, but the episode "Cornered" omg so appalling and horrifying.  If you haven't seen it: Brooklyn 2002, a single mom has a stalker, an older man from her neighborhood.  When she won't go out with him he throws a rock through her window.  Then he attacks her with a bayonet, slicing her hand, leg and stomach.  She nearly bleeds to death but escapes.  He is not a citizen (he's from the Phillippines) but he doesn't get deported and his brother puts up $100 thousand bail so he's back on the street. Next he burns her friend's apartment  building down while she's in it. All the residents escape fortunately. The man gets sentenced to FIVE years.  I hope this is scripted because I can't believe a person can get away with all that with such a light sentence!

Edited by JasminePhyllisia
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, JasminePhyllisia said:

I just discovered "Obsession: Dark Desires" on ID and boy is it horrifying based on the two I've seen so far.  "SOS SMS" was truly creepy and suspenseful, but the episode "Cornered" omg so appalling and horrifying.  If you haven't seen it: Brooklyn 2002, a single mom has a stalker, an older man from her neighborhood.  When she won't go out with him he throws a rock through her window.  Then he attacks her with a bayonet, slicing her hand, leg and stomach.  She nearly bleeds to death but escapes.  He is not a citizen (he's from the Phillippines) but he doesn't get deported and his brother puts up $100 thousand bail so he's back on the street. Next he burns her friend's apartment  building down while she's in it. All the residents escape fortunately. The man gets sentenced to FIVE years.  I hope this is scripted because I can't believe a person can get away with all that with such a light sentence!

I remember seeing that episode a long time ago.  That guy was SOOO creepy!

Is anyone going to watch this new dreck about Scott Peterson?  I flat out will not believe any BS "new evidence" and this monstrous person is exactly where he needs to be.  California probably will never execute anyone again, but he is one that should be executed.  Bring back the gas chamber for him!

• Love 4
13 minutes ago, Brattinella said:

Is anyone going to watch this new dreck about Scott Peterson?  I flat out will not believe any BS "new evidence" and this monstrous person is exactly where he needs to be.  California probably will never execute anyone again, but he is one that should be executed.  Bring back the gas chamber for him!

That's a hard no from me. I find the commercials offensive. He murdered his pregnant wife! Stop trying to defend him!

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Brattinella said:

I will watch it and report back to you all. I have to work this evening but it is set on my DVR. I think I can sacrifice 2 hours for the betterment of our community in this forum as opposed to the 6 hour "did he do it OJ crap". I was pissed I had to sit thru an occasional commercial for that one!

• Love 4

Ok,during the 2 hour Snapped special on Scott Peterson there were a few things new to ME. The people and crew who did interviews of Scott in his house had to take their shoes off. Gregory Jackson (jury foreman) asked to be removed from the jury during the 5th day of deliberations because the "other jurors were talking about book deals and he felt threatened by them". He was removed. Dismissed juror Justin Falconer said that everyday when the jurors went home, they had to walk by all the media tents and overheard news about the trial. He had more to say but I thought he was a jerk and pissed because he was removed from the jury.(He had an innocent encounter with Laci's brother in the court house) The critical evidence not presented at trial was: That pink/red headed juror lied during jury selection and did not divulge that she had a similar crime happen to her.(not sure what that meant) Also, 6 people saw Laci walking her dog after Scott had left to go fishing. And last, something about a friend of one of the burglars in the neighborhood the day Laci went missing being in prison, saying to his brother during jail conversation "what about the Laci thing" and the brother on the outside said "don't say anything" and the tape of that conversation went missing. That made no sense to me. Basically people proclaiming Scott's innocence said the jury verdict was based on pure emotion and no evidence. And of course, Amber was front and center to tell her same story again.

• Love 3

Thanks, hoosiermom! From your summary, it looks like mistakes were made BUT they weren't catastrophic or malicious prosecution.  He STILL DID IT in my opinion.  I don't believe anyone saw her walking the dog after he left.

• Love 9

Thanks, hoosiermom! Juries convict based on emotion all the time; they also convict based on the idea that "someone has to pay". It's scary. 

Brattinella, I totally agree that the eyewitnesses are probably not reliable. A person walking a dog is not something that will stand out enough to be sure about the time or even the day. It's totally a psychological reaction that happens when something traumatic or significant happens. 

• Love 3

I did watch it, and I call bullshit on "new" evidence.  I was MOST surprised by the end, where it stated that should Peterson's appeal be denied, he is scheduled for execution in 2021.  HUH?  I'll call bullshit on this, too, although I didn't go on San Quentin website to confirm.  Anyone confirm this? 

• Love 7

I remembered the cult horseshit but I was not aware they had"taken 8 other pregnant women and supposedly killed them too" according to the defense. Must have slipped my feeble mind. Yah,right.

• Love 7
(edited)
On 5/7/2017 at 9:54 AM, Brattinella said:

Once more defending a dude who murdered women and children. Add him to the list. I may have to quit watching this shit. I am pretty done with them dragging families through this shit in the name of ratings and defense of woman-killers. There's no "new evidence". There's just pathetic pieces of shit looking for attention and killers looking to con people. 

Edited by azshadowwalker
  • Love 10
(edited)

I.D. is at it again.

"All New" (Not really) A Deadly Divorce = The Perfect Murder episode title 'Deadly Divorce' from 2015. They are trying to insult the I.D. watchers intelligence again with this taking old episodes and claiming them as all new specials. They're too lazy to get rid of the things that stand out about The Perfect Murder like the detective's theory that they do every episode and their go to commercial theme that they do every episode.

I don't know what 'Little Girl Gone' is from (I was watching Murder Made Me Famous on Reelz), but I'll find out later.

Fatal Vows better actually be a new episode.

Edited by jacofa
  • Love 5
9 minutes ago, jacofa said:

I.D. is at it again.

"All New" (Not really) A Deadly Divorce = The Perfect Murder episode title 'Deadly Divorce' from 2015. They are trying to insult the I.D. watchers intelligence again with this taking old episodes and claiming them as all new specials. They're too lazy to get rid of the things that stand out about The Perfect Murder like the detective's theory that they do every episode and their go to commercial theme that they do every episode.

I don't know what 'Little Girl Gone' is from (I was watching Murder Made Me Famous on Reelz), but I'll find out later.

I agree SO much!  This one is Bambi Bembenek.  Again.

• Love 5

I am liking Detective (or Detectives?), which shows a detective solving a challenging case, or one that really stayed with him/her.
One of the cases had Christine Mannina from Indianapolis, who was on The Shift.

• Love 3
On 5/13/2017 at 6:23 PM, jacofa said:

I.D. is at it again.

Yes, I posted about this a few weeks ago. They are taking old Disappeared and Perfect Murder and other series episodes, renaming them, and showing them as single "specials." There was one on today as well, I can't even remember which one it was, as soon as I realized it was one of those repackaged episodes I just clicked it off. 

• Love 3

Loved the new show "hear no Evil". I have seen the story before but if those tapes were played I don't remember them. Absolutely tragic and chilling. A must see! Also, I spent the last 3 days on a jury. The jury hung, 9 to 3 guilty so of course it was a mistrial. Once again, 3 people with no common sense. The defendant was a grandfather who was accused of molesting his 6 year old granddaughter. They even had a reliable witness to a part of it (defendants son who testified against him). One lady apparently lied to get on the jury because she had a family member who had been accused and or prosecuted for child molestation but according to her, he was innocent and she wasn't about to let that happen to another person. She was going to vote for not guilty regardless of any evidence pointing to his guilt. The other 2 at least listened to the evidence. I was furious! Cried for hours when I got home. Gratefully, I was an alternate and was only allowed to listen to deliberations and could not give any input. Good thing because I might have ended up on trial for assault or murder!

• Love 8
57 minutes ago, hoosiermom said:

One lady apparently lied to get on the jury because she had a family member who had been accused and or prosecuted for child molestation but according to her, he was innocent and she wasn't about to let that happen to another person. She was going to vote for not guilty regardless of any evidence pointing to his guilt. The other 2 at least listened to the evidence.

Isn't that a serious offense, and can't she be charged and do time?  I'd hope so.  DId it get publicity?
Do call the newspapers and tv stations in the area.  Do not let this go unpunished.

• Love 4

I don't understand how they can let this sort of thing go.  If I was involved, I would get a question to the judge; "Hey, Judge!  This person lied on voir dire, and refuses to deliberate!"  I would hope judges would start to do this, and chew out the offending party in public (at the very least) and maybe get charges of obstructing justice!

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, auntjess said:

Isn't that a serious offense, and can't she be charged and do time?  I'd hope so.  DId it get publicity?
Do call the newspapers and tv stations in the area.  Do not let this go unpunished.

Yes,this is what I thought too. How disgusting.  

• Love 2

It didn't effect the outcome or I would have told the judge. I was not present for voir dire of her group but I can't imagine ANY prosecutor allowing her to be on the jury if she told them that. It is my guess that she wasn't truthful. In any case, she was sickening.

• Love 2

Whether it changed the outcome or not, I'd tell the judge what that you'd heard, or tell the paper what you heard, and they can tell the judge who could ask all the jurors what happened.
I think that's a bfd.

• Love 6

It really is weighing heavily on my heart. It didn't appear to me that the other jurors cared or realized what she did. I talked briefly with 2 of the jurors afterward about it and I don't think they even realized this was big stuff.

• Love 4

I DID hear it myself! The other alternate and I discussed it because we could talk to each other,just couldn't make any comments during deliberations. We were with the other 12 jurors the whole time.

• Love 4

Being chosen for a jury is a serious responsibility. I was a juror on a capital murder trial. It was horrifying to sit through the testimony, photos and hearing from the police officers who investigated the crime. We were sequestered for 7 days away from our families in a hotel that had been emptied while we were protected by US Marshalls. This was serious stuff. I would have never questioned my responsibility to report to the judge that anyone else on the jury had lied to get on the jury. It would never have entered my mind to not report this. In the end, you did the right thing.

• Love 7

I am watching Evil In Disguise.  OMG, the narration is so cheesy.  I'm only watching because I don't recognize the case.

Was the first Hear No Evil the one where the man waited in his basement and killed two cousins when they broke in?  I deleted it without watching.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, ButterQueen said:

Was the first Hear No Evil the one where the man waited in his basement and killed two cousins when they broke in?  I deleted it without watching.

Yes it was and hearing the tapes made it much more horrifying than just being told about the case. I saw the case on one of the crime shows before but I don't recall all the video and audio being such a big part of it.

• Love 3

Just watched a couple of See No Evils, one of my favorite shows.
The one of the young woman in Shreveport was horrible beyond even ID standards, an I wondered why they got life, but apparently the jury deadlocked on the penalty part.
I'm not a big death penalty back, but if ever a case meritied it, this one did.  Maybe life in Angola will seem worse than death.

The other one was mother who disappeared after going to a graduation party with her stepson, in Florida.
I realize I left the TV paused and haven't watched the one on a gambling parlor.
(Life intervened, and I just unclogged the kitchen sink.)

• Love 1
13 hours ago, ButterQueen said:

I am watching Evil In Disguise.  OMG, the narration is so cheesy.  I'm only watching because I don't recognize the case.

Yuppers.  You didn't miss a thing.

12 hours ago, hoosiermom said:

Yes it was and hearing the tapes made it much more horrifying than just being told about the case. I saw the case on one of the crime shows before but I don't recall all the video and audio being such a big part of it.

You must've blocked it out, because I remember ALL that audio from the first time I watched this crime story.  It was the nail in the coffin, in more ways than one.  Watching it again just brought back all those feelings of outrage (and I'm an old person with great attachments to my possessions, and little pity for teenaged hoodlums).  However ... what he did is indefensible.  

• Love 6