Type keyword(s) to search

General True Crime Shows

Jaded
  • Start Topic

18 minutes ago, millennium said:

potentially facing a firing squad but when we come back we're told the court has decided to be lenient because she has a child.

Seriously.  She deserved NO LENIENCE.  Let her child be adopted and THEN she can be executed.

• Love 10
10 minutes ago, Brattinella said:

Seriously.  She deserved NO LENIENCE.  Let her child be adopted and THEN she can be executed.

The slap on the wrist led me to suspect that either the American embassy became involved, or some serious money was funneled into the judge's account.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, ratgirlagogo said:

The only show on ID I like unreservedly is A Crime to Remember.  I don't even know if they have another season planned.

Mine are Web Of Lies and Fear Thy Neighbor.    My only complaint is that the seasons are too brief.

Generally speaking, the only shows I find truly disturbing are the ones where two teen friends (usually girls) kill a third just for kicks or over a boy or maybe even for Slenderman  (because I can't comprehend the horror that the victim and their families experience or the depth of sociopathy that enables the killers) and the ones involving ugly adults who commit murder as an outgrowth of sex games (because I can't unsee my mental image of those trolls having sexy time while dressed up in BDSM gear).

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, ButterQueen said:

I just watched the show about the Phoenix sniper.....American Monster?  He was scary!

I watched the first American Monster but switched off after 15 minutes.   It felt like the producers paid money for the killer's home videos and thought it would be cool to show them, no matter how banal or boring, as if they had some bearing on the later crime.    It was worse than being subjected to home movies because at least home movies don't pretend to be relevant.

• Love 3
On 6/28/2016 at 10:51 PM, millennium said:

I just watched Murder Among Friends.    It seems axiomatic to me that the better-looking the actors/actresses in any ID show, the uglier the actual people are.   I swear, I have concluded some ID shows with a "Gaaah!" when they show the real mugshot or trial footage.   

To me the 2 worse ones involved Deadly Sins and My Dirty Little Secret. The Deadly Sins episode was the one where they were profiling the Los Gatos love triangle between Tessa Donnelly, Paul Garcia, and Mark Achilli. They had a really hot woman playing the role of Tessa Donnelly, but the real Tessa Donnelly wasn't even close to being good looking and looked like a boy. They had a handsome man playing Paul Garcia, but the Paul Garcia wasn't much of a looker and chubbier. Mark Achilli was the only good one that was close to looking acurate.

Here's the Deadly Sins episode below.

https://vimeopro.com/user2451780/jonathan-moser-crime/video/121586856

20150303__achilli~3_300.JPG

Paul Garcia (left), Tessa Donnelly (middle), Mark Achilli (right)

The My Dirty Little Secret episode involves the one where Delores Eggert murders her mom Polly Devor and her stepfather, Bob Devor, who she was having an affair with covering it up. They had a young sexy red head play Delore Eggert, but the real Delores Eggert was about 50 years, not even attractive, not even close to being a red head. THey had a handsome gentleman who like he was in his 50s playing Bob Devor, but the real Bob Devor was in his 70s and not even close to being handsome. 

Somebody did something weird to this video and distorted the voice of the narrator, but this was the best i could find.

The real Delores Eggert and Bob Devor.

http://murderpedia.org/female.E/e/eggert-delores-photos.htm

Some of these shows don't even try to get it right.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, millennium said:

Mine are Web Of Lies and Fear Thy Neighbor.    My only complaint is that the seasons are too brief.

Generally speaking, the only shows I find truly disturbing are the ones where two teen friends (usually girls) kill a third just for kicks or over a boy or maybe even for Slenderman  (because I can't comprehend the horror that the victim and their families experience or the depth of sociopathy that enables the killers) and the ones involving ugly adults who commit murder as an outgrowth of sex games (because I can't unsee my mental image of those trolls having sexy time while dressed up in BDSM gear).

You sound like me.  I love the neighbor one and Web of Lies is always good. And yes, those (usually) young friends killing each other leaves me perplexed. I just can't get inside the heads of these killers.

• Love 1

Will never understand why they don't call the show 'How Not To Kill Your Spouse' instead of 'How Not To Kill Your Husband' considering that the show does several cases where the husband kills the wife. Their season premier had all 3 of their cases involving the husband killing the wife.

• Love 8
7 hours ago, jacofa said:

Will never understand why they don't call the show 'How Not To Kill Your Spouse' instead of 'How Not To Kill Your Husband' considering that the show does several cases where the husband kills the wife. Their season premier had all 3 of their cases involving the husband killing the wife.

Maybe "spouse" sounds too much like a tax form.   But you make a good point.   It's not unlike "House of Horrors" in which there were several episodes without a house.

I think it's a sexist name for a show.   I bet they would never make "How Not to Kill Your Wife" because that would sound like they're trying to make a buck off violence against women.   But men?   Violence against them is okay.    The title suggests it may be something everyone can relate to.   Who hasn't wanted to kill her husband from time to time?   But if you're going to do it, do it better than these idiots.

• Love 4
(edited)
On 7/3/2016 at 6:43 AM, Maizie131 said:

Am I really the only one on this forum who likes Cry Wolfe?  I was happy to see it's coming back.  Yes, he's obnoxious and yes, it's totally scripted, but so what?  His cases are real even if a little (?) over-embellished.  And ya gotta admit it's a few steps up from Cheaters.  haha!  Okay - let the mud-slinging begin....

I agree with most in that the show is pretty terrible...and yet, I get sucked into every episode.  It's the horrible acting by Wolfe and his assistants, and the ridiculous ways that the shows end.  It got even more brazen with it in the second season, and yet I watched.  

On another note, I wonder when Redrum is returning?  Deadly Sins abruptly reappeared this past week on Thursday night with little fanfare.  I think I like that one mainly to see what the host will be wearing, and what new style of glasses he will have.

Edited by Rina99
  • Love 3

Watched Passport to Murder: Nightmare in Bali last night and was happy that ID actually found a recent murder I hadn't heard of before.  I especially liked the narrator, Tish Iceton, but her soothing voice did put me to sleep halfway through for a few minutes.   Once again I was amazed at the short sentences given to the perps.  Very scary these scumbags will be walking the earth in the not-too-distant future.   I'll definitely watch this show again.

This story was covered ad nauseum in Chicago, Trib had good coverage. The mom was definitely an enabler, and the daughter a manipulative evil beyotch. The cops were called multiple times for DV. The daughter broke her mom's arm I believe, but really Mom should have cut her off after she stole her CC and spent thousands of dollars partying at a hotel in downtown Chicago with her boyfriend and others. I'm not a parent, and I know this mom was trying to reconcile, but damn. And it makes my blood boil that the evil daughter got leniency for being a mother, and still stands to inherit her mother's estate, or is it being held in trust for the grandaughter?

• Love 6
(edited)
7 hours ago, Maizie131 said:

I'm looking forward to watching the premiere of The Coroner on July 18th.  From the promos, it looks promising.  I really miss Dr. G: Medical Examiner.  I loved that show!

I agree Maizie. I loved Dr. G but I also love all the medical and forensic shows.  Science is not biased. 

Count me out on Cry Wolfe.  I was hoping we wouldn't see that one again.  It feels too fake. Sometimes  the guy is comically cheesy though, I have to admit.  Plus he is very protective of young women which I can appreciate  

Edited by FanOfTheFans
  • Love 4

Okay, I watched Women in Prison.  The money-maker and the army girl.  I'm done with it.  It was SO excruciatingly SLOW, waited til the last 10 min to tell what the CRIMES were!  Seriously, all this bullshit back story does NOT make these girls sympathetic characters!

• Love 3

She wanted a baby so she had a baby. Good reasoning there.

I was sympathetic to the fact that money-maker lost her dad and then mom just left her with two younger brothers 2 months later. Was there no other family to help? They said family had her son...what family? Family that didn't help before? No back story of where mom went? Did they ever see her again? So much unanswered.

I really could not feel anything for the army girl. That's what drugs and the drug world does. They kill people.

• Love 4

I didn't feel the scammer lady was sincere at all about her theft. In fact, she didn't even seem to think of it as theft in some weird way. That constant smirk on her face was irritating. I agree with the prison counselor who thinks she will probably con again once she is out. 

The army lady I had mixed feelings about. When she said she slit his throat to end his suffering because it was taking him a long time to die, well she lost me at that point. She slit his throat to get at those drugs faster. that was a horrendous crime as she butchered that guy. Sad what addiction does to people. 

• Love 2

Just caught an episode of Surviving Evil. It was interesting but kind of drags with too much horror-movie type mood music in the background.

And Charisma Carpenter's voice, to me, is like nails on a chalkboard. She has just enough of what sounds, to me, like that little-girl voice that sends me up a wall. Don't know if she helped develop this show or they found her past as a survivor of violence pertinent. Luckily she's not the only voice.

• Love 2

I've never been a fan of The Perfect Murder's cheesy "rewind" schtick, but last night's episode when the cops were supposedly Belgian and were doing the imaginary rewind with their cheesy accents. Geez. Nothing should be so dumb that it makes you LOL at a terrible murder, but that one got me. 

• Love 8
7 minutes ago, KellsBells said:

I've never been a fan of The Perfect Murder's cheesy "rewind" schtick, but last night's episode when the cops were supposedly Belgian and were doing the imaginary rewind with their cheesy accents. Geez. Nothing should be so dumb that it makes you LOL at a terrible murder, but that one got me. 

I just watched that one.  Seems like Corsica's the place to go if you're looking for crime scene investigations that consist of little more than a glance and a shrug.   They should have been able to determine by the car's path from the road to the cliffs whether it was actually an accident.   And then, the two killers got 15-20 years and served 6 years and 8 years respectively.    They spent so little time in the slammer they were able to hook up again once they got out and go on with their lives.

• Love 7
11 hours ago, millennium said:

Seems like Corsica's the place to go if you're looking for crime scene investigations that consist of little more than a glance and a shrug.   They should have been able to determine by the car's path from the road to the cliffs whether it was actually an accident.   And then, the two killers got 15-20 years and served 6 years and 8 years respectively.    They spent so little time in the slammer they were able to hook up again once they got out and go on with their lives.

Seems like any foreign country is the place to go if you want to spend little time in the slammer. The "Passport to Murder" with the two kids who killed the girl's mom was the same outcome: the daughter only got something like 10 years, the boy 16 -- and they have access to phones and social media in prison. Crazy. 

• Love 8

Greetings! Heard about this thread and am happy to be here!  Catching 48 hours ep today with Mark Castellano  - the guy who went on Dr. Phil's show. Oh my! What a horrible, horrible human being! Some are evil, some are really weird, but this guy is just batshit nuts. In a completely delusional way. 

Love the comments on the music - I've seen most of the shows in bits and pieces and have never noticed any of the songs.  But the whispered "Investigate" just about does me in.

• Love 9
On 7/6/2016 at 8:34 PM, AKraven said:

Oh, where to begin with the Women in Prison show.  Contrary to my episode description, "army girl" was not an officer.  Let's get it right, ID.  I was surprised she was able to squeeze out a teensy tear when talking about the crime she committed;  of course, let's blame mommy's boyfriends and military superiors, blah, blah, blah, for the way you turned out.  Newsflash:  Many of us have experienced traumatic events in our lives and don't end up murdering our dealers, so tell your story walkin', lady.  

In my opinion, these broads are attention whores and I can't deal with them.  I'm ouuuuuut.

I avoided this show - good to know my instincts were correct.  :-)

On 7/6/2016 at 9:01 PM, KellsBells said:

Oh, how I despise that cheesy rewind crap - it totally ruins the story for me.  I was squirming with snark and embarrassment about those terrible accents, too!

13 hours ago, SandyToes said:

Greetings! Heard about this thread and am happy to be here!  Catching 48 hours ep today with Mark Castellano  - the guy who went on Dr. Phil's show. Oh my! What a horrible, horrible human being! Some are evil, some are really weird, but this guy is just batshit nuts. In a completely delusional way. 

Love the comments on the music - I've seen most of the shows in bits and pieces and have never noticed any of the songs.  But the whispered "Investigate" just about does me in.

Welcome, Sandy Toes!  I just happened to catch that rerun yesterday, too.  Only time I've ever appreciated Dr. Phil.  ;-)

• Love 7
(edited)

I cannot with Perfect Murder.  I think we've all caught on by now that the first few rewinds aren't what really happened.  Anyway, I've taken it off my DVR.  Even without the rewind stuff, it's just not done very well.

On the other hand, I am loving the Murder in Paradise or whatever it is.  The second epi had my mouth hanging open.  I actually remember the case of the young man who disappeared on Spring Break because I'm from Houston.  I had no idea of a lot of the details they gave.  The interview with his friend that was on the trip with him just broke my heart. So, so horrifying and tragic for the friends and family.

Edited by tobeannounced
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, tobeannounced said:

I cannot with Perfect Murder.  I think we've all caught on by now that the first few rewinds aren't what really happened.  Anyway, I've taken it off my DVR.  Even without the rewind stuff, it's just not done very well.

On the other hand, I am loving the Murder in Paradise or whatever it is.  The second epi had my mouth hanging open.  I actually remember the case of the young man who disappeared on Spring Break because I'm from Houston.  I had no idea of a lot of the details they gave.  The interview with his friend that was on the trip with him just broke my heart. So, so horrifying and tragic for the friends and family.

The Matamoros Murders was big news in my neck of the woods.  It was only when they took a college kid that anybody took notice to all the missing people.

• Love 2

Is anyone else watching Dark Woods Justice on Discovery?  I started watching several weeks ago, when a woman seeking mushrooms, reported finding human remains.
It's very overgrown and damp, and really hard to search.
For the past 3 episodes, they searched but failed to find anything.
Meanwhile, they've caught several timber thieves, a big money thing up there in Washington state, but no remains.
Starting to feel like bait & switch.

On 7/6/2016 at 8:32 AM, FanOfTheFans said:

I didn't feel the scammer lady was sincere at all about her theft. In fact, she didn't even seem to think of it as theft in some weird way. That constant smirk on her face was irritating. I agree with the prison counselor who thinks she will probably con again once she is out. 

The army lady I had mixed feelings about. When she said she slit his throat to end his suffering because it was taking him a long time to die, well she lost me at that point. She slit his throat to get at those drugs faster. that was a horrendous crime as she butchered that guy. Sad what addiction does to people. 

I agree with the scammer lady. She didn't even think she did anything wrong and if she gets out she'll probably be back in pretty quickly. I had mixed feelings about the army woman because it seemed as if she was really remorseful about what she did. I don't think she should get out because of that, but she did seem truly sorry. 

Did anyone see "Killer Women with Piers Morgan?" That girl, Erin Caffey, is about as evil as they come. She had no remorse at all, even denies that she was the mastermind in the face of all evidence. I don't think she should have been given the screen time if she's just going to lie through her teeth. 

I missed the second episode of "Passport to Murder." I'm going to have to watch for the rerun. 

• Love 6
(edited)

Leverage solved the DB Cooper case in Season 5. Christian Kane did it with the assistance of the flight attendant and then hid out as an FBI agent investigating himself. There is no spoiler because that all plays out in the first 5 minutes or so, then it's the crew figuring it out. I miss Leverage. : (

I watch Dark Wood Justice. I think what the woman saw and thought was a body turned out to be those pants that they found, spread out, and down from the Gatorade bottle. She just doesn't want to admit it, maybe out of embarrassment. I didn't care for the first episode because it seemed a bit fake, but I think the LEOs got more comfortable with the cameras and it evened out.

Edited by Christina
Trying to get the quote box to show and failing.
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, KellsBells said:

I agree with the scammer lady. She didn't even think she did anything wrong and if she gets out she'll probably be back in pretty quickly. I had mixed feelings about the army woman because it seemed as if she was really remorseful about what she did. I don't think she should get out because of that, but she did seem truly sorry. 

Did anyone see "Killer Women with Piers Morgan?" That girl, Erin Caffey, is about as evil as they come. She had no remorse at all, even denies that she was the mastermind in the face of all evidence. I don't think she should have been given the screen time if she's just going to lie through her teeth. 

I missed the second episode of "Passport to Murder." I'm going to have to watch for the rerun. 

The Erin Caffey story gave me the shivers. She spent the evening playing with her little brothers, whose murder she had arranged for later that night. Piers asked her how she felt knowing her brothers weren't going to live to see the morning, and she said she didn't really think about it. She was probably gloating about her parents' murder, the thing she really wanted. Sociopath of the first order. 

• Love 9
17 minutes ago, BradandJanet said:

The Erin Caffey story gave me the shivers. She spent the evening playing with her little brothers, whose murder she had arranged for later that night. Piers asked her how she felt knowing her brothers weren't going to live to see the morning, and she said she didn't really think about it. She was probably gloating about her parents' murder, the thing she really wanted. Sociopath of the first order. 

Not only that, BradandJanet, immediately after the murders she goes back to her boyfriend's trailer and they screw!!!  Unbelievable!!!  Sociopath of the first order, indeed!

• Love 5

Erin Caffey has got a lot of attention for her crime. I saw her on Dr. Phil also. I agree, she is awful and most likely a sociopath of the highest order. I thought she came off as very calculating. She really is careful not to give answers to direct questions or to let herself get painted into a corner with her replies. Plus that soft voice and sheepish demeanor. Really creepy.

• Love 8

Just wanted to add that I have a ton of sympathy for Erin's father.  I think he is denial about his daughter but whatever gets him through the day. It's a miracle he has been able to go on with his life with some normalcy.  I can't even imagine what he has been through emotionally. Just the thought that a child you have loved and raised could wipe out most of her own family is beyond my comprehension.  Those poor little boys. 

• Love 9

Fuck Piers Morgan & his bullshit about how he has interviewed many monsters but she's "complex".  Dude calling her Daddy out for being in denial?  Look in the mirror, fuckwaddle.  And guess what - one can raise a monster and NOT be in denial about it.

• Love 10

I stayed up past my bedtime on that episode. I kept waiting for her to make a mistake, but she's too calculating. The only crack I saw was when Piers flattered her by mentioning her singing voice and she jumped on that by proudly singing Amazing Grace, the most ironic possible choice.

If I were her cellmate, I'd want a shiv handy. 

• Love 10

I was really looking forward to watching the premiere of Six Degrees of Murder, but after about 10 minutes realized it was a Forensic Files case featured years ago that I'd seen several times.  Should know not to get my hopes up about "new" shows on ID.  After that was was a new episode of The Perfect Murder that I thought was a re-hash, but turns out it was new to me.  What the fuck is up with funeral directors killing their wives?  Recall Michael Roseboro in PA murdering his gorgeous wife in their swimming pool (actually he beat her to death & put her in the swimming pool)?  And Mark Bowling in NC getting his mistress to shoot his wife?  Yikes!  Marrying an undertaker is hazardous to your health, ladies! 

• Love 5
14 hours ago, BradandJanet said:

I stayed up past my bedtime on that episode. I kept waiting for her to make a mistake, but she's too calculating. The only crack I saw was when Piers flattered her by mentioning her singing voice and she jumped on that by proudly singing Amazing Grace, the most ironic possible choice.

If I were her cellmate, I'd want a shiv handy. 

Her whole persona, the singing, the lying, the pouty face all reminded me of that Lying Liar Hodi.  They should be cellmates.

• Love 5
1 minute ago, Brattinella said:

Her whole persona, the singing, the lying, the pouty face all reminded me of that Lying Liar Hodi.  They should be cellmates.

Exactly what I thought the second she started singing - Jodi Arias belting out "Oh Holy Night"!!  Cellmates, indeedy.  However, I'm just so damn happy every time I think of Jodi in that prison in AZ with little-to-no A/C & temps in the triple digits most of the summer.  :) 

• Love 6
16 hours ago, FanOfTheFans said:

Erin Caffey has got a lot of attention for her crime. I saw her on Dr. Phil also.

Ha! I knew I'd see her somewhere before -- it was Dr. Phil -- haven't watched his show in years. Yep, she's as big a sociopath as there could be. 

• Love 5
On 7/12/2016 at 4:47 PM, auntjess said:

I agree the FBI could spend its resources on more pressing matters, but what an intriguing case. On that note, any recommendations for good true crime eps or docs about Cooper? Not History Channel conspiracy crap, but something that's balanced and well thought out.

7 hours ago, Maizie131 said:

I was really looking forward to watching the premiere of Six Degrees of Murder, but after about 10 minutes realized it was a Forensic Files case featured years ago that I'd seen several times.  Should know not to get my hopes up about "new" shows on ID.  After that was was a new episode of The Perfect Murder that I thought was a re-hash, but turns out it was new to me.  What the fuck is up with funeral directors killing their wives?  Recall Michael Roseboro in PA murdering his gorgeous wife in their swimming pool (actually he beat her to death & put her in the swimming pool)?  And Mark Bowling in NC getting his mistress to shoot his wife?  Yikes!  Marrying an undertaker is hazardous to your health, ladies! 

I took Perfect Murder off my DVR because I simply can't stand that stupid rewind thing, but I also recognized that story on Six Degrees of Murder right away. It's been told more than once, I believe. And I think they're stretching the "six degrees" idea with that one. The idea of six degrees of separation is more direct, IMO. 

• Love 5

Perfect Murder featured the Cinnamon Brown story. If they're going to recycle decades old stories, at least update the story to show what the people are up to now. 

The late, great, Ann Rule was on there. She used to update all of her stories, but her website isn't up. I think that her son ran it, and was taking advantage of her in her last days. 

• Love 3

In the Six Degrees of Murder, they gave it away in the first few minutes to any of us who've seen a shitload of true crime shows.
Her driver's license was missing?  What other reason would there be. 
Did anyone watch the Nightmare Next Door from 2012, about a woman murdered in Tulsa, that went very cold?
When the finally caught the serial killer, who'd done crimes in several other states, they praised the DNA testing, and were waiting on the results to confirm his guilt.
BUT--they also had a fingerprint, and I'd think the AFIS database was available to them for a while, and they didn't seem to have checked it.

• Love 2
On July 6, 2016 at 11:34 PM, AKraven said:

Oh, where to begin with the Women in Prison show.  Contrary to my episode description, "army girl" was not an officer.  Let's get it right, ID.  I was surprised she was able to squeeze out a teensy tear when talking about the crime she committed;  of course, let's blame mommy's boyfriends and military superiors, blah, blah, blah, for the way you turned out.  Newsflash:  Many of us have experienced traumatic events in our lives and don't end up murdering our dealers, so tell your story walkin', lady.  

In my opinion, these broads are attention whores and I can't deal with them.  I'm ouuuuuut.

I agree!!  Not to mention, the story just drags on and on!

• Love 2

The Passport to Murder episode last night - ugh, a tear-jerker, heart-breaker! A family on vacation, a local young man starts hanging out on the beach with them, paying particular attention to their 15-year-old daughter. After a few days of schmoozing the family, he asks the daughter to go for a walk on the beach in the daytime (which was crowded with people, not some deserted beach), and the parents decide it should be OK. You can guess the rest. :(

• Love 7

On How NOT to Kill Your Husband, it took 3 episodes and 9 cases to finally get the first case of a wife killing her husband and it took 3 episodes and 7 cases to get the first case of a husband in general being killed.

So out of the 9 cases this season, 7 involved the husband killing his wife, 1 involved the husband killing his husband, and 1 involved the wife killing her husbands.

They need to stop with the false advertisements of this show and call the show what it is. 

• Love 7

I saw the Passport to Murder too. 
The show said he introduced himself as 21-year old whoever, but I don't think so, because her mother said she thought he was in high school.
I can't see them allowing her to go off with a 21-year-old.

• Love 7