Type keyword(s) to search

General True Crime Shows

Jaded
  • Start Topic

I've started back watching alot of shows on ID again. I love watching the investigative part and how they catch the killers, but man these shows start making me feel depressed and fearful. I have to not think too much about them after I watch them. It's just sad that so many of these heinous crimes happen that a whole network has so many different shows about them.

• Love 8

There seem to be a lot of shows lately with these poor sad idiots who don't know they are being played. The one that really sticks out is the guy from Evil Stepmothers who was scammed by the woman with the scar. I suspect he still doesn't know what hit him!

• Love 2

My favorite right now is "see no evil". Amazing what they can track with video cams to solve murders!

I like it, too.  It was heartbreaking watching the abducted girl at the different ATMs, though - I just wanted her to take a chance and RUN when he was waiting in the car!

• Love 7

I like it, too.  It was heartbreaking watching the abducted girl at the different ATMs, though - I just wanted her to take a chance and RUN when he was waiting in the car!

Me, too.  I was so sad when she couldn't. :((

• Love 4

Me, too.  I was so sad when she couldn't. :((

But she could have. If she knew that he was going to kill her right after getting her money, she probably would've taken a chance on running. It was early morning in those videos, it was daylight and there were cars driving by. She should have taken that chance. He had her car, her purse...etc. She probably didn't want to lose everything and sincerely thought he was just in it for her money and not to take her life. Such a heartbreaking case. She looked so scared. 

I was taught to never allow an abductor to take you from place A to place B. Take a chance on running. You might still get shot or hurt, but once you are in place B (in a desolate area somewhere) your chances of surviving go down significantly. 

• Love 7

Are any of you watching SEE NO EVIL? I tuned the commercials out until I realized it features CCTV. Victims/crimes caught on camera has always fascinated me. What I failed to realize was how frightening actually SEEING their last moments would be. I just watched the Mickey Shunick episode, and seeing that white truck suddenly turn down the road she was on was terrifying. Despite knowing I kept hoping for a different ending.

I'm anxiously awaiting the Jesse Matthews, Jr., episode and the kidnapping of Carleesha Freeland-Gaither by that nutter in Pennsylvania in the past couple of years. I followed both of these crimes from the beginning so I feel personally involved in a way.

Edited by bubbls
  • Love 2

I recently had to spend a week dog and catsitting while a relative went on vacation, and I spent it glued to Investigation Discovery because I don't have cable at home. The show that drives me absolutely crazy is Obsession: Dark Desires. I have tons of empathy for victims of stalking, but sometimes they do things I cannot fathom at all. Then I feel guilty because I recognize that I am, at the very least, skirting on the edge of victim blaming. Obviously the asshat attacking their ex in a remote desert location is ultimately responsible for his illegal and unethical behavior, but I can't help but want to throw things at the tv when the victim reports that she has agreed to meet  her stalker alone in a remote location on more than one occasion. WHY, victim, WHY?

I also find myself sort of drooling at the television in shocked disbelief when victims report erasing evidence of stalking from electronic devices and giving up on the police when phone calls don't do anything to resolve the situation. I want to travel back in time and beg them to go to the damn police station in person if the phone isn't getting results and to stop erasing voice mails, texts, and emails from the stalker. And in one episode, a woman was having a terrible time convincing people that a dude was videotaping her openly in her home for months on end. Lady, GET YOUR OWN DAMN CAMERA AND RECORD HIS STALKER ASS. Ugh.

I suppose when you're in the middle of these insane situations it's probably difficult to access common sense through the fear and stress. Which is why the apparent tendency to keep stalking a secret is also mystifying. An objective friend might be useful in such situations.

Am I a jerk for thinking this way? I think I probably am.

Edited by xyzzy
  • Love 9

I recently had to spend a week dog and catsitting while a relative went on vacation, and I spent it glued to Investigation Discovery because I don't have cable at home.

Am I a jerk for thinking this way? I think I probably am.

xyzzy - Glad you got a chance to watch the ID channel for the first time.   Not to worry -- if you get cable in the future & watched it often like we all do, you'd be bitchin' like crazy like all of us due to the redundancy of programs/stories & horrible acting/recreations/narrators we intensely dislike!  

And BTW, you are NOT a jerk for thinking this way! In fact, you're right on the money :)  I do kinda hope you get cable so you can join our discussions!  You'd be a very welcome addition! 

• Love 4
The show that drives me absolutely crazy is Obsession: Dark Desires. I have tons of empathy for victims of stalking, but sometimes they do things I cannot fathom at all. Then I feel guilty because I recognize that I am, at the very least, skirting on the edge of victim blaming.

I haven't seen every episode of this, but there was one that really bothered me, where the woman being stalked claims to have jumped in the back of her stalker's pickup for reasons I can't remember, to prove a point of some sort, I guess...because what could possibly go wrong.  Yikes!   

• Love 4

Wow!  Just finished watching Surviving Evil "Mind Games."   As we all know, there are some very good shows on I.D., albeit not often, and this in my opinion, was one of them.  Highly recommend for you guys to watch (don't wanna give anything away).  I really DO like Charisma Carpenter as the host, and believe she most certainly did experience a horrific ordeal when she was younger.  So what did you guys think of this episode?  Pretty gripping, eh? 

• Love 3

Yes maize. This was a jaw dropping episode. An amazing woman. Just wow.

What I don't understand is why she talked psycho manic into taking her to his house so she could 'call for help. Why didn't she ask him to take her to the hospital ? And why when he went outside of the trailer to talk to the EMT's didn't she run out the door ? She was still there waiting for him to come back inside.

What I don't understand is why she talked psycho manic into taking her to his house so she could 'call for help. Why didn't she ask him to take her to the hospital ? And why when he went outside of the trailer to talk to the EMT's didn't she run out the door ? She was still there waiting for him to come back inside.

who knows why people do the things they do when in stressful situations. Maybe she didn't know how far the hospital was and the sooner she could let people know where she was the better. Also, she didn't know when he would flip again.
  • Love 1

I finally watched this show and it was scary.  Random shit like that could happen to any of us - okay, psycho husbands/wives can happen, too, but that's another story (so far, the old man hasn't shown any murderous tendencies...fingers crossed).

A while back, a poster mentioned a separate thread for ​Vanity Fair Confidential, ​does anyone know where it's located?  I've looked and can't find it.  There's too much crap to keep track of.  I must have ORDER!

I think a couple forums were requested for different shows but WendyCR72 pointed out to them that those shows were already discussed here. So in short you were looking for something that wasn't there. 

• Love 4

Is anyone else sick to death of the constant commercial for House of Horrors-Kidnapped?!  It's shown about every other commercial.  Oh.My.God.  Yes, I know - I watch I.D. channel way too much. 

• Love 13

Is anyone else sick to death of the constant commercial for House of Horrors-Kidnapped?!  It's shown about every other commercial.  Oh.My.God.  Yes, I know - I watch I.D. channel way too much. 

YES!!!!!   I now watch ID with remote in hand because of this promo. I am sick to death of this.

• Love 6

YES!!!!!   I now watch ID with remote in hand because of this promo. I am sick to death of this.

THANK YOU, stillhere1900!!!  I feel better!  We should have a sub-category for this forum: "Things that bug the SHIT out of us about the I.D. Channel."  Of course, that would have so many comments, this one probably wouldn't have any.  ha!  Problem is, they have just enough "new" stories it keeps me watching...and hoping it'll get better. 

• Love 3

Are you guys talking about the one with the dead rabbit and the Opera singer?  ARGGH!  I hate it just as much as you do!

• Love 4

Is anyone else sick to death of the constant commercial for House of Horrors-Kidnapped?! It's shown about every other commercial. Oh.My.God. Yes, I know - I watch I.D. channel way too much.

I was sick of it in 2014, 2015, now in 2016. Are they just too lazy to make new/better commercials for this show? Luckily for them the actually show is way better than the commercial.

• Love 3

I was sick of it in 2014, 2015, now in 2016. Are they just too lazy to make new/better commercials for this show? Luckily for them the actually show is way better than the commercial.

Dear God, I only just got ID channel, and had NO IDEA this horrid commercial had been running that long!  GAH!  Make a new one!

Deadly Demands: Chaos In Connecticut.  Not  a "new" show just a new title.

I really think this show and the audio recordings of Richard with the Dispatcher/Negotiator, need to be standard teaching material for new 911 dispatchers and wanna-be negotiators.  Some folks the same old "broken record" routine will NOT WORK ON.  Especially when he is doing "broken record" himself.

• Love 1

I rolled my eyeballs when the dispatcher (I don't think it was the official negotiator, so I'll give her a small pass) asked the hostage wife, "Does he have a gun?"  Um, yeah, he told you that 10 HOURS AGO!  Pay attention, class!  Jeez, even the wife sounded annoyed.

That husband is a sadistic asshole.  When the house caught fire, I was hoping he would shoot himself.

When the house caught fire, I was hoping he would burn alive. 

• Love 2

I'm starting to feel a lot less happy to see new shows on ID.  AGAIN they have a nincompoop woman with an abusive boyfriend and she doesn't tell her family, her co-workers or the police about him!  I told hubby tonight, how many more opportunities will she give him to kill her?  Over and over she is confronted with how much of a controlling weirdo he is, until he bashes her in the eye!  Even after that, she allowed him into her apartment!  He ended up not killing her, because his gun and/or ammo were defective.  As it was, a bullet lodged in her skull was 1cm away from her brain.  He gets out in 2025.

• Love 1

I rolled my eyeballs when the dispatcher (I don't think it was the official negotiator, so I'll give her a small pass) asked the hostage wife, "Does he have a gun?"  Um, yeah, he told you that 10 HOURS AGO!  Pay attention, class!  Jeez, even the wife sounded annoyed.

Not only did Richard tell the dispatcher he had a gun, Nancy had JUST said to the dispatcher "I'm chained to the wall and he has a gun to my head".  Yeah, pretty annoying that the dispatcher's response was "Does he have a gun?"   Well, duh...

That was one tense episode.

• Love 4

Deadly Demands: Chaos In Connecticut.  Not  a "new" show just a new title.

Did I miss this show or hasn't it aired yet?  I know you guys are discussing it above, but it's not ringing any bells for me.  And, of course, they're not promo-ing it 47 times a day (or even once that I've seen) like they do SOME shows.  Thanks!

• Love 1

Did I miss this show or hasn't it aired yet?  I know you guys are discussing it above, but it's not ringing any bells for me.  And, of course, they're not promo-ing it 47 times a day (or even once that I've seen) like they do SOME shows.  Thanks!

Deadly Demands aired Monday evening.  ID repeat of the "Chaos in Connecticut" episode re-airs Sat 3/19 at 8:00 a.m.  New episode next Mon 3/21 at 7:00 p.m.

ETA - I'm on left coast time.

Edited by walnutqueen
  • Love 1

Deadly Demands aired Monday evening.  ID repeat of the "Chaos in Connecticut" episode re-airs Sat 3/19 at 8:00 a.m.  New episode next Mon 3/21 at 7:00 p.m.

ETA - I'm on left coast time.

walnutqueen - Thanks much!  Don't know how I missed it but I'll catch it Saturday - really appreciate you checking. 

• Love 1

walnutqueen - Thanks much!  Don't know how I missed it but I'll catch it Saturday - really appreciate you checking. 

Anytime, Maizie, my friend!  We crime nuts need to stick together and help each other out (if only to establish a solid alibi).   heh   :-)

• Love 7

Anytime, Maizie, my friend!  We crime nuts need to stick together and help each other out (if only to establish a solid alibi).   heh   :-)

LOL!!!!  Ain't it the truth!  Thanks, again, WQ

• Love 2

Re: Web of Lies last night and the young woman having terrible luck with men. Seemed pretty risky for her to invite boyfriend #2 to her place to pick her up for the first date and not at some public spot. At first I thought it could have turned out to be the first one who she ran away from who was still after her, that's what they wanted us to think.

In comparison to previous episodes this one didn't seem as interesting despite how it ended.

I forget the show, it might have been Obsessed, but there was a mother who was being stalked by her ex, so she moved with her daughter to a remote cabin and did not tell him she was there. She heard a sound one night, and believed it was him, and a friend offered to pay for a top notch security system. When he returned, he broke in and the alarm did not go off because she didn't set it at night because her daughter might accidentally set it off. REALLY? When does she use it, during the day when she is at work and her daughter is in school?

• Love 4

I forget the show, it might have been Obsessed, but there was a mother who was being stalked by her ex, so she moved with her daughter to a remote cabin and did not tell him she was there. She heard a sound one night, and believed it was him, and a friend offered to pay for a top notch security system. When he returned, he broke in and the alarm did not go off because she didn't set it at night because her daughter might accidentally set it off. REALLY? When does she use it, during the day when she is at work and her daughter is in school?

See, this is another example of what I call "Dumb Women of ID Channel".  They portray women as absolute idiots!  Just about every show, they show a weak, inept, stupid woman who doesn't realize what danger she is in until it is too late.  I'm really tired of it.

• Love 3

I forget the show, it might have been Obsessed, but there was a mother who was being stalked by her ex, so she moved with her daughter to a remote cabin and did not tell him she was there.

That was a recent episode of Web of Lies.  It's the story of Heather Palumbo-Jones. 

I just like the shows about relatives.  Evil Stepmothers was troubling for me.  You know the cases you can't shake.  In the most recent, the stepmother basically had her son from a previous marriage kill her stepson.  Yes was truly evil.  But the boy's father quickly divorced her and went back with her and they remarried. I guess to him she was a trophy wife. This made me so hurt for this thirteen year old kid who had a mother die and then his father marries this witch.  Who is left to mourn for him.  

I thought about it last night it made me so upset. At least this woman's two kids will have nothing to do with her.  She even very strongly favored the daughter over her son.  The daughter established a relationship with her older brother and have written her off.  

• Love 4

On Unusual Suspects, about the cowboy actor killed in Yuma, they left me feeling I must the only person who hadn't heard of him, but when I looked on IMDB, it looks like he was in 2 movies in the 40s.

It doesn't make it any less bad that he was killed, but it made the show puzzling.

What really struck me with the first episode of Evil Stepmothers was the fact the father seemed to have just abandoned his children to this woman. So sad!!

Evil Stepmothers: 'Not My Mom'.  I just watched this one, and I don't understand why the son was given jail time at all ?  I know I've seen this story before. It wasn't Evil Stepmothers, it might have been featured on  'Who The Bleep Did I Marry ?

Edited by stillhere1900
  • Love 1

Tonight, there is a new episode of Deadly Demands but I know that I saw that same one but under the title "Obsession: Dark Desires"

ID seems to be re titling old shows under new names.

The new episode is about Richard Wade Farley.  This was local to me at the time.  There was nothing on TV or radio at the time except for live coverage of this event.  What a giant POS, to do this because a woman rejected his advances!  Pig.

• Love 1

Tonight, there is a new episode of Deadly Demands but I know that I saw that same one but under the title "Obsession: Dark Desires"

ID seems to be re titling old shows under new names.

There was mention in Site Business of perhaps doing some forums by subject matter rather than by show and show titles. I'm guessing maybe a True Crime genre but, good lord, with all of these shows not only covering the same crimes but then renaming them?

It's like herding cats.

Edited by NewDigs
  • Love 7

The new episode is about Richard Wade Farley.  This was local to me at the time.  There was nothing on TV or radio at the time except for live coverage of this event.  What a giant POS, to do this because a woman rejected his advances!  Pig.

This doesn't ring a bell for me, but 5 or 10 minutes in I'll no doubt recall if I've seen before.  See...that's the good thing about having CRS disease (Can't Remember Shit) -- everything is new again!  (I really shouldn't make fun like this at my age - really could happen!)

Edited by Maizie131
  • Love 5