Type keyword(s) to search

Media: Crazy Ex-Girlfriend Makes The News!

(edited)

CBS has uploaded official 19 videos of songs from the live LA concert on their YouTube channel.

Please note that "I'm a good person" is the explicit version even though it is not marked.

Edited by pellenaka
Add comment about explicit song.
(edited)

CXG Live:

Spoiler

The Math of Love Triangles:

Fuck Ton of Cats:

I Love My Daughter (Not in a Creepy Way):

We Tapped That Ass:

I Could If I Wanted To:

Women Gotta Stick Together:

Let's Have Intercourse:

The Buzzing from the Bathroom:

JAP Battle:

Horny Angry Tango:

What'll It Be:

Gettin' Bi:

I'm a Good Person:

Friendtopia:

Heavy Boobs:

You Stupid Bitch:

Let's Generalize About Men:

Strip Away My Conscience:

Face Your Fears:

Maybe This Dream:

Sex with a Stranger:

West Covina:

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 1

So far, I haven't seen details as to whether this was Rachel's request, but at the moment I'm guessing that it was, because of the amount of story that will be needed to bring everything to a conclusion.

4 hours ago, nosleepforme said:

I don't think Rachel gets to request the episode order.

Well, she can always request, if she chooses to. Doesn't mean they'd automatically listen to her, but the show seems to have a solid enough relationship with the CW that they undoubtedly talk about such things at the annual negotiations. Having the fourth season be the last, announced as such in advance, was certainly a request of hers and Aline's, for instance.

(edited)

CXG at San Diego Comic Con:

THURSDAY, JULY 19

“CRAZY EX-GIRLFRIEND”: THE FINAL CURTAIN CALL, 5:45–6:30 PM, ROOM 6A

– As the critically acclaimed CW series enters its final season, come celebrate and take a trip down memory lane with co-creators Rachel Bloom and Aline Brosh McKenna as they look back on some of the series’ most memorable moments and talk about what’s ahead for Rebecca Bunch. The panel will be moderated by series guest star Michael McMillian and will include a special performance and never-before-seen footage.

SATURDAY, JULY 21

“CRAZY EX-GIRLFRIEND LIVE” STARRING RACHEL BLOOM, 7:30 PM, BALBOA THEATRE –

The cast of the CW’s award-winning musical dramedy CRAZY EX-GIRLFRIEND is taking their show on the road in this live tour. Join Rachel Bloom, the rest of the cast and the CRAZY EX-GIRLFRIEND songwriters as they bring the show’s songs to life in this very special live concert event. This is a ticketed event and is currently sold out. For more info, please visit: https://sandiegotheatres.org/rachel-bloom/

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news/2018/07/02/cbs-television-studios-presents-an-all-star-lineup-at-comic-con-2018-with-new-and-fan-favorite-series-177312/20180702cbs05/

Edited by Trini

TV Line Comic Con interview with Rachel Bloom and Aline Brosh McKenna:

They talk about the episode order; Rebecca place at the end of last season; the theme songs and how it relates to the season arcs; the Rebecca/Paula relationship; Trent; guest stars; etc.

Technically not Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, but there is a group from West Covina competing this season on World of Dance and I was totally picturing teenage Josh Chan as part of it. It would be awesome if CEG had them perform on the show!

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 3

New York Times Op-Ed columnist Ross Douthat cited CEX in his article: The Jewish Crossroads - Can a mix of liberal politics and soft traditionalism survive a militant left and a right-wing Israel?

It appears in today's paper (8/5/18) 

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/04/opinion/sunday/steven-m-cohen-jewish-crossroads.html?action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=opinion-c-col-left-region&region=opinion-c-col-left-region&WT.nav=opinion-c-col-left-region

The quote is:

"What the authors are describing pejoratively, the way that a general Jewish liberalism can coexist with more conservative impulses and attitudes, has long been particularly obvious in debates about the state of Israel, where the most cosmopolitan of Jewish liberals can suddenly sound like strident nationalists. (Or as the writers of “Crazy Ex-Girlfriend” put it in their “rap battle” between two rivalrous female Jewish lawyers: “Cause we’re liberals/ duh, progressive as hell / though of course, I support Israel.”) But it extends to a general Jewish interest in, and sometimes alarmism about, issues like fertility rates and cultural preservation that in the world of Gentile politics are associated with the social and cultural right." (Emphasis added).

I wouldn't have pegged Mr. Douthat [one of the few resident conservative columnists at the NYT] as a CEX fan, or even someone who might have been aware of the show, but the show's reach is apparently broader than expected. Who knew? Maybe we'll find his top ten song list from the show next week. Of course, the actual song title was "JAP Battle," so maybe he's not paying quite as much attention as he should.

Edited by ahpny
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, ahpny said:

I wouldn't have pegged Mr. Douthat [one of the few resident conservative columnists at the NYT] as a CEX fan, or even someone who might have been aware of the show, but the show's reach is apparently broader than expected. Who knew? Maybe we'll find his top ten song list from the show next week. Of course, the actual song title was "JAP Battle," so maybe he's not paying quite as much attention as he should.

If he did have "rap battle" uncapitalized, he may well have been referring to its genre rather than its official title -- which I could understand in the context of a quick side reference like this.

And it's interesting to imagine that he's a CXG follower, but I can also imagine that (a) he has an excellent research assistant who digs up appropriate current references for him, or (b) someone mentioned the song or lyric to him once at a cocktail party, and he mentally filed it away as something he might use someday. Or something else, I don't know. Thanks for sharing it though!

This is going to be one of those '500 Days of Summer' situations isn't it? Where at the end you realize you've just been watching the main character's totally skewed  viewpoint of the other character, and in reality they were always a completely different person from the one you were introduced to.

I love this idea. I think it's a really smart way to treat it if you're going to do a recast. They're saying they never approached Santino about returning; I'm guessing he never would have come back anyway. So I think it's great that they're playing with Rebecca's perception this way. Because now that she's a bit more...healed/trying to heal and find her peace, it makes sense that the Greg she projected on was never actually the "real" Greg.

Edited by taragel

I'd rather have Santino back, but if Greg is so important to closing out the CXG story, then I guess I'll have to roll with it... but it will be weird. (I guess Santino really doesn't want to go back to TV? )

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Trini said:

(I guess Santino really doesn't want to go back to TV? )

It's simper than that. He's flat-out unavailable. He's committed to the musical Tootsie which is in preparation to play in Chicago this fall (I'm seeing it!), and presumably if all goes well, moving to Broadway thereafter, with literally not a day available to go film, let alone the many weeks this would need. 

8 hours ago, Slovenly Muse said:

I think NPR's Linda Holmes put it best when she said:

I love Linda but I'm still skeptical and a lot of it is because of how the second half of the last season played out. (And no, if the circumstances were similar, I wouldn't be calling Lynch a genius for it.)

The reason Greg left a hole, for me, was because of how Santino played him and the fact that I thought he had great chem with Rachel.  That's the reason I missed him.  I don't necessarily think the show needs the character, especially not after they sent him off well and highlighted that the two of them slept with each other's friends.  They doubled down on that by having her sleep with his dad.  So I don't see how the character fits as a potential love interest by losing much of what made him still desired as a love interest yet keeping all the basic facts about the character that make that ship something that has sailed.

• Love 5
11 hours ago, nosleepforme said:

But if he wasn't available, then why bring the character back at all? I feel like his storyline concluded nicely and there is not much legs to the Greg/Rebecca romance anymore now that she has slept with his father.

True! I forgot about that (I tried to erase it from my mind) but it seemed like a very clear sign that nothing could happen with Greg now. They could have made Skylar a new Greg-like character, but maybe they want the messy backstory part too. 

• Love 1

I had always felt that, though it was right for Greg to leave, if those in charge had a really rounded-off 4-year plan, there was unfinished business between him and Rebecca, and he needed eventually to return so they could deal with it. Not necessarily for romance, but because they were once important in each other's lives and she (one hopes) will be somewhat different now. I also couldn't imagine how they could manage it in practical terms, so I'm (provisionally!) pleased that they've taken this step.

• Love 3
On 8/7/2018 at 6:34 PM, nosleepforme said:

But if he wasn't available, then why bring the character back at all? I feel like his storyline concluded nicely and there is not much legs to the Greg/Rebecca romance anymore now that she has slept with his father.

My guess is because this story has nothing to do with the real Greg, and that Rachel simply wanted to write another facet of Bex's mania. Heck, I'm pretty sure there'll be an episode titled Greg is Irrelevant. The Leftovers did something similar where the lead thought his craziness was healed in season 2, but him running into a once dead character in season 3 (who turned out to be a stranger) showed he wasn't caured at all. Just a theory.

I'm not thrilled. They're very different actors to me. Different "types." If it's a small thing (like the way people complained that Greg hadn't returned for the wedding) then it seems unnecessary for him to come back. And if Greg is going to have a bigger part, I don't really need the recasting. I'm also wary after a messy season 3. Rachel telling us this is a good idea kind of feels like whenever Rebecca hatches a plan. I'm open to it but I'm highly skeptical.

• Love 4

I don't see Skylar having the right "somethin' somethin'" to replace Greg.  I also don't see how the chemistry will work between him and Rachel, but I'll try to be open minded about it.   Who knows?  They may have Greg come back for one or two episodes just to put real closure on their relationship.  I probably wouldn't have a problem with that.  But if the show were to put them back together in a relationship, I don't think that would work for me.

• Love 1

I'll be the outlier - I thought Fontana was simultaneously boring/uninspired/uninteresting as Greg AND really annoying. I was really happy when he left, although after the S3 of Nathanial and the way CEG was gaslighting the audience about Josh (as in, basically, hey, it was all HIS fault!) I realized love interests may not be CEG's metier overall. Fontana just always came off as kind of an asshole to me, in a non-charismatic way. What I've seen of Astin, it's "that's more like it." A little more warmth and relaxation, at least on youtube.

• Love 1
On 8/7/2018 at 1:26 PM, BoogieBurns said:

but maybe they want the messy backstory part too. 

I think we all know Rebecca will not have a 'happy' ending. Better isn't always what we want. And we all leave messes in our wake.

'The creators of Crazy Ex-Girlfriend on preparing their musical comedy’s curtain call'

Asked about the importance of this turn in Rebecca’s story, Bloom answered, “For better, for worse, this is her finally taking responsibility for not only her life but her happiness.”

“She’s trying to really marry the internal and the external, what she wants with how she lives her life, and there’s a lot of struggle. There’s a lot of ‘two steps forward, one step back’—or ‘one step forward, two steps back’ sometimes.”

How do the creators hope their series is remembered? “As something that was consistent,” said Brosh McKenna. “Three or four episodes in, when it was clear our ratings were horrible, I said, ‘Look, I don’t know that we’ll ever make a show that has very high ratings, but I think we have a shot to make one of those shows that’s remembered in the long run of TV history as something that was special and good.”

Bloom’s response: “As something that took musical theater, which is an American art form and commented on it, but also used it to further story, and advanced it. A show that deconstructed tropes in a really cool way, from a female perspective.”

Edited by Trini

Interview with and new photos of Bloom and McKenna: ‘Crazy Ex-Girlfriend’ Plans ‘Our Version of a Happy Ending’

Season 4 will have 18 episodes, as opposed to 13 for the two previous seasons. How will that work?

RACHEL BLOOM We get very episodic in the first part of the season, because she’s getting her life together. And then we go back to the rom-com tropes for the last part of the season.

ALINE BROSH McKENNA The shape of the fourth season is a redemption story, and then a romantic story. It’ll be our version of a happy ending, which is the ending that Rachel and I have had in mind since the beginning. Writing the third season was tough and there were a lot of serious conversations and weeping in the writers’ room. This season’s a lot more fun because her intentions are great. She’ll still make mistakes, but her intentions are wonderful, so there’s a lightness and a freeness.

BLOOM And I’m excited about the second half of the season because it’ll be the first time in the series where instead of her internally going crazy, it’s actually [things in her external world going] crazy and her trying to adapt to it. Which is why we’re going back to the rom-com place.

BROSH McKENNA It’s what happens when you take a female character who is fully rendered, who you know really well, who is not a compliant love projection, and put her in a situation where she has to make a romantic decision. What does that look like?

Alison Rosen podcast interviewed the choreographer for  the show.

She says many of the cast members are not dancers but grind at it with rehearsals.

She said if she had the budget for it, they'd do a Busby Berkley number in water.

• Love 2

With the passage of a year or more since last mention, perhaps it's OK for me to mention the Sporcle quiz I curate, "Name All the Song Titles from Crazy Ex-Girlfriend."

https://www.sporcle.com/games/Rinaldo/songs-in-crazy-ex-girlfriend

Although I've input the titles (with lots of alternates and shorter versions -- it's getting to be a lot to type), I can never get a perfect score myself. It's just too many to recall! But maybe some will find it fun.