Type keyword(s) to search

Media: Crazy Ex-Girlfriend Makes The News!

5 hours ago, nosleepforme said:

Did anyone get the Crazy Ex-Girlfriend season two DVD and can tell what kind of special features are on it? (Rachel said they even have some for S1 on there.)

I got it. It has these special features:

• Rachel and Aline Brosh McKenna do commentary on Season 1 Episode 1 and Season 2 Episode 1.
  • Season 2 gag reel.
  • Deleted scenes from both seasons (not many -- just 3 if I remember right).

A step up from the Season 1 box, which had no special features at all.

The odd thing is, this of all shows has tons of videos ready for extra features, what with the explicit versions of songs (that was mostly in season 1, I guess) and Aline's behind-the-scenes items for each episode. I suppose it still costs to have someone program them onto the disc.

On 11/7/2017 at 5:33 AM, nosleepforme said:

According to Rachel,  The End of the Movie will not be released for now because of Josh Groban's contract with another record label. Bummer. 

That explains why I couldn't find it on iTunes. Bummer! I bought I Go to the Zoo instead (stupid catchy song!).

17 minutes ago, nosleepforme said:

(If he is so exclusive to a label, then I find it rather weird, he can guest star on the show and do the song in the first place?)

It's all about money. A guest role is (in this case, at least) a one-time event, and Groban is paid accordingly. If his song gets sold, there are royalties, and more likely than not, Groban's record company will not get a part of them. 

Rachel saying "for now" raises the possibility that a deal may be worked out for the song in the future. Note that there's no problem about her or the CW providing online clips of the portion of the episode including the song. (Presumably that part of the deal was secured in advance, maybe because he doesn't have an overall ongoing contract covering video, or TV appearances, or something like that.) It's specifically the release of the audio of the song on its own, because he has a long-term contract in place covering any song he records, and there are buildings full of lawyers whose job is to defend and enforce such contracts for everyone they represent. All concerned may agree in conversation that this is a special one-of-a-kind case (and may have agreed on that before it happened), but it would still take months of discussion and paperwork to clear it.

I was recently involved in getting permission to use a particular copyrighted musical work (not for recording, for a published edition). Nobody was opposed to the idea, but it still took 8 months to complete the negotiations before permission was official.

• Love 1
On 11/8/2017 at 4:04 PM, dubbel zout said:

Copyrights and permissions are a colossal PIA. I've had to secure them for various projects, and it was so tedious, even when there was little to no negotiating.

Yep. I secured permissions for the imagery on a prekindergarten curriculum, and 8 fine art images took more time and effort (and gave me many more headaches) than doing the same for over 300 stock photos.

I saw that, but I figure we're talking about last season. This season has been very well-reviewed so far and might get some nominations next year. Jane the Virgin shut out as well. Pleased to see Rachel Brosnahan of Marvellous Mrs. Maisel nominated.

12 hours ago, DianeDobbler said:

I saw that, but I figure we're talking about last season. This season has been very well-reviewed so far and might get some nominations next year. Jane the Virgin shut out as well. Pleased to see Rachel Brosnahan of Marvellous Mrs. Maisel nominated.

The Golden Globe submissions are for episodes that aired January 1, 2017-December 31, 2017.

5 hours ago, possibilities said:

It's weird that they announce the noms before the eligibility period is closed.

They get screeners. So they've seen stuff that is intended to air by the end of the eligibility period, even if no one else has.

Rachel Bloom was on "Off Camera with Sam Jones" and said that the show got a lot more name recognition after it was picked up by Netflix. I think The CW is not relying on live TV ratings anymore. It just seems like they figured out they can actually sell their shows through other platforms, and instead of clinging to the old model, they're adapting.

• Love 3

Fall 2017’s lowest-rated TV shows by network: ‘Crazy Ex-Girlfriend’ threepeats

It’s safe to say that only in the current era of delayed and digital viewing and streaming deals propping up low-rated shows would the least-watched series on TV even get to exist for three years running.

Yet here we are, and here is “Crazy Ex-Girlfriend” once again at the bottom of the fall 2017 rankings, just as it was in 2016 and 2015. It’s alone in last place among viewers and tied with fellow CW series “Valor” at the bottom of the adults 18-49 chart.

• Love 1

I recommend checking out the live show if you can get tickets. Saw Rachel, Adam Schlessinger, Jack Dolgan, and Aline Brosh-McKenna last weekend in Fairfield CT and it was so much fun.  Aline came out and did JAP rap battle and Let's Generalize About Men with her, and Jack did a few songs including "I Could if I Wanted To." They did a version of the cat puppets song that was on this past episode, as well as Shitshow, You Stupid Bitch, We Should Definitely Not Have Sex Right Now, Tap That (during which Rachel tapdanced), Strip Away My Conscience, Diagnosis, The Math of Love Triangles, Greg's Drinking Song (Adam solo), Period Sex, Heavy Boobs (which Rachel removed her shirt for), Remember that We Suffered, Oh My God I Think I Like You, The Very First Penis I Saw (Adam on lead), and a slowed-down version of Stacy's Mom (in tribute to Adam).

Good times.

• Love 4

Interview with Aline Brosh McKenna post-finale

Discusses the choices of the past few episodes, but this jumped out at me the most:

The End Is Nigh… If It Gets a Fourth Season

“We haven’t gotten picked up for Season 4. If we’re lucky enough to get a Season 4, that will be it for us. Season 4 will be our last season,” said Brosh McKenna. “We’re trying to kind of round out that journey. Rachel and I pitched this story in four chapters when we started working together. It was always a story about a woman’s descent and her rising up. And we’re excited to tell the back bit of that story.”

I knew they'd discussed pitching a certain number of seasons from the start, though I remembered it incorrectly as 5. Now it absolutely has to be renewed. We need that last season.

Another that covers many of the same points.

Edited by TheOtherOne
  • Love 1
(edited)

Hmmmm. I've come to see Josh Chan as essential to the show. He is important to the tone and the balance, and when I go back over Rodriguez's work, I don't think he gets enough credit. He had to be Josh as himself, the ambivalent, unsure guy, but he also had to embody Rebecca's fantasies, whatever they might be at a given time. Either by being exactly what she needs and wants in a given moment, or via her musical numbers.  He's not a character we see on TV a lot - a guy who is ostensibly basic, but where the actor is called upon to be pretty range-y.  Long way of saying, I agree the show suffered when he took a back seat and the show tried to moor itself to Nathaniel/Rebecca instead. Thanks, Slate! Yes, Josh was mangled and his character screwed over (barely allowed to react to everything Rebecca did to him), because, IMO, the writers were too busy mocking the idea that the pre-diagnosis Rebecca had ever liked him to begin with.

Edited by DianeDobbler
  • Love 4

'Benefit Concert Planned For Parkland Victims Fund'

From Broadway With Love: A Benefit Concert For Parkland, USA, announced today, is set for Monday, April 16 at the BB&T Center in Sunrise, Florida. The benefit follows similar From Broadway With Love concerts held after the Pulse nightclub and Sandy Hook shootings.

This time, though, the concert will include some songs that were written by Stoneman Douglas students in collaboration with such pro composers as Joe Iconis, Bobby Cronin, Zoe Sarnak and Drew Gasparini. Additional songs were written solely by the students.

The list of performers – which is expected to grow in coming weeks – includes: Matthew Morrison (Glee), Rachel Bloom (Crazy Ex-Girlfriend), Deborah Cox (The Bodyguard), Wayne Brady (Chicago cast of Hamilton), Kirsten Maldonado (Pentatonix), Noah Galvin (Dear Evan Hansen), Justin Guarini (In Transit), Vincent Rodriquez III (Crazy Ex-Girlfriend), Ephraim Sykes (Hamilton), Erich Bergen (Madam Secretary), Christy Altomare (Anastasia), Laura Bell Bundy (Anger Management), Telly Leung (Aladdin), Jordan Donica (My Fair Lady, Hamilton), Donna Lynne Champlin (Crazy Ex-Girlfriend), Gabrielle Ruiz (Crazy Ex-Girlfriend), Etai Benson (The Band’s Visit), Carrie Manolakos (Mamma Mia), George Salazar (Godspell), Bryan Fenkhart (Waitress National Tour), Charity Angel Dawson (Waitress), Jessica Vosk (Wicked National Tour), Brandon Shapiro and Jake Wildhorn.

The performers will be accompanied by the South Florida Symphony.

Tickets for the event go on sale today. A crowdrise fundraising page has been set up, and ticket information will be available at http://www.FromBroadwayWithLove.org.

• Love 1

Even though I don't think the CW has confirmed it yet, Rachel Bloom was on the Id10t podcast with Chris Hardwick (latest ep) and reiterated that the series was always meant to run for four seasons and that this would be the last.

‘Jane the Virgin,’ ‘iZombie’ and ‘Crazy Ex-Girlfriend’ all ending in 2018-19 on The CW

The 2018-19 season on The CW will feature final seasons for several shows.

The network announced Thursday that “Crazy Ex-Girlfriend,” “Jane the Virgin” and “iZombie” will all end next season.

“Crazy Ex-Girlfiend” returns in the fall; “Jane” and “iZombie” will be back in early 2019.

The CW fall TV 2018 schedule

“Crazy Ex-Girlfriend” moves back an hour to 9 p.m. ET/PT Fridays.

• Love 1

That's good news. Rachel Bloom has always been insistent that the fourth season was to be the last, but the CW had been oddly reluctant to confirm it from their end, making me (at paranoid moments) worry that they'd insist on an unnatural and inorganic extension to an extra season. (Which can happen -- remember Kate & Allie, Magnum PI, Remington Steele.)

• Love 2

If she always saw it as four seasons, I can't imagine her contract wouldn't have spelled that out. Doesn't mean the show wouldn't have been canceled earlier, of course, but I can't think she'd want to extend the show beyond what she felt was its natural ending.

As much as I will miss this show, I'm also really excited to see what Bloom does next.

1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

If she always saw it as four seasons, I can't imagine her contract wouldn't have spelled that out. 

I can. (Of course, I have no inside info, I'm just going by what I've seen over the years.) After Showtime passed on it, and they unexpectedly found a new berth at the CW, they would probably have been in no position to insist on extraordinary privileges in their contract. And a network is always imagining that this next series may be a huge hit that will support them for years. It didn't turn out remotely like that, of course, but the four-season idea is something that I would still see as a point raised in conversations rather than a spelled-out contractual one. I even saw her initial tweet of "We're renewed for a fourth and final season!" as a pre-emptive way to get the idea firmly out there so that CW was more likely to agree.

1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

I can't think she'd want to extend the show beyond what she felt was its natural ending

Nor can I. But sometimes "what a series creator wants" is not what determines what happens, if a network has other ideas. Fortunately, in this case it did.

• Love 2

I love the show summary from that press release:

Yeah, so pleading guilty to a federal offense because you wanted to take responsibility for every sketchy thing you may have done in your whole entire life is... maybe not the best idea? Still, you have to admire Rebecca Bunch (Rachel Bloom) for wanting to deal with the repercussions of the very long string of decisions - good, bad and alarmingly questionable - that she's made since she took flight from New York City and landed in West Covina three seasons ago.

This year Rebecca is in some ways like a baby chick that's about to tumble out of the nest and in other ways she's that friend who is searching for enlightenment and kinda can't stop yammering about it. As always, Rebecca's actions have had unintended consequences for her West Covina friends -- Nathaniel feels betrayed by her, Josh is taken aback by her, and Darryl is parenting her baby. Paula, Heather and Valencia remain staunchly by Rebecca's side but they are busy finding their own identities (as a law student, regional manager and kickass party planner, respectively.) Will everyone be content to stay in the nest with Rebecca? Or will they start to transcend the sunbaked, boba-strewn purgatory that is West Covina? The answer to these and other questions lies in this season of Crazy Ex-Girlfriend as themes of redemption, recovery, responsibility, rebirth, renewal and reality and other words that begin with "R" will bring our ultimate "R", Rebecca, to the satisfying end of this chapter of her life.

From CBS Television Studios and Warner Bros. Television, CRAZY EX-GIRLFRIEND is executive produced by Rachel Bloom, along with Aline Brosh McKenna ("The Devil Wears Prada"), Marc Webb ("500 Days of Summer," "The Amazing Spider-Man" films), Erin Ehrlich ("Awkward"), Michael Hitchcock ("Glee") and Sarah Caplan ("Ray Donovan").

Very true. Although once they'd renewed it once despite everything, I let my anxiety relax a bit. (Only a bit. Although the Season 3 renewal came unusually early so there was never much worry about that one.)