Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: All Trawling, No Trolling

• Start Topic

On 5/12/2020 at 7:43 AM, merylinkid said:

Anyone know the ratings for this season?   Especially for that second hour between actual show and "After the Catch?"

The original show started out really strong this season in the demo, above .4.  It has since eroded a bit.  It also led the Harris mess 2nd hour by about half a point ~(.37 - .32).  The last numbers I saw for 5/5, however, had them tied at about .35.

So...Disco's scheduling BS basically paid off.

On 5/13/2021 at 11:02 AM, AZChristian said:

Jake Harris . . . some things and people seem never to change.

Too bad.  It seems like hints were being dropped that Jake would return to the CM at the end of last year's shows.  I had a feeling that might blow up since that kid can't stay out of his own way.  

• Love 1

Didn't know she was pregnant.  So that throws a wrinkle into the Mandy Takes Over storyline, unless she and Clark trade off staying home during fishing season? (I'm going to assume she's taking the rest of the winter off!)

Considering how angry Sig got when they JOKED about her getting pregnant, wonder what his reaction was when they weren't joking?

• LOL 1

A whole bunch of recycled stuff for 18:1.  

Instead of a burn barrel, they used a closed hotel bar.  Given the topic of the first shutdown of the Red season, I was hoping for at least some discussion as to what BS it was to do so from the guys.  Nope.  Nothing as to agreeing with it, either.  Turrible.

One moment which could have been cool was the recounting of Harley hitting Bill's boat on the shore line.  Harley was clearly in the wrong, and Bill acted like a NASCAR driver:  It was one of dem racin' deals.  Give  me a break.  It appeared that Harley had to pay some kind of settlement, but zero specifics were offered.  Typical. Disco.

No reason to watch this ep.   None.

• Love 1

I went to see the latest Jurassic Park movie this past weekend and was amused to see the Saga have one of its crab post stolen by some prehistoric aquatic creature.  I don't recall and shots of the Jake or the crew but it would be interesting if it was mentioned on the show.  I bet the extra cash for the appearance was nice.

I decided to watch the first season again from 2005 & had forgotten that the the king crab season lasted all of 80 hours and 4 episodes, also it was before the days of quotas but after watching & listening to the way that they used to fish for king crab for 3 months pulling full pots every day it's easy to see why there were time & then quota limits.

Sig & the Northwestern were there as was a glimpse of Phil Harris as the CM was a sister boat of one of the others.

The graphics were awful & I had never realized how bad non HD tv was until this as well as the graphics, well everything really. The shaky camera work was very noticeable in those days as well. oh how quickly we forget. 

• Like 1

Wait what?

I hate to say that THIS is what it took to FINALLY get Josh off our screens?

ETA:   Just like over  in the Counting On Thread with Josh, be very careful if you go looking for information.   I did and was upset.   Yes its involves CSA.    If you are triggered DO NOT LOOK for it.    Also, let's be careful discussing it so we don't upset our fellow posters.  

Edited by merylinkid
  • Mind Blown 2
7 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Wait what?

I hate to say that THIS is what it took to FINALLY get Josh off our screens?

ETA:   Just like over  in the Counting On Thread with Josh, be very careful if you go looking for information.   I did and was upset.   Yes its involves CSA.    If you are triggered DO NOT LOOK for it.    Also, let's be careful discussing it so we don't upset our fellow posters.  

Good Lord. I always figured him for a lazy ass camera whore, but not someone who would do something like this. Just wow. The "old man" is spinning in his grave. 

• Sad 1
8 hours ago, Stevie Nicks said:

Good Lord. I always figured him for a lazy ass camera whore, but not someone who would do something like this. Just wow. The "old man" is spinning in his grave. 

To be fair, these are OLD charges.   They happened when he was 15/16 and he was arrested for them.   He pled to lesser charges and did 8 months in jail.   But its coming out now and Disco doesn't want to be associated with it, or more likely realized Josh doesn't have the fan base they thought he had and needed an excuse to dump him.   Please note, Edgar is back on our screen and his charges were much more recent.   But trust me, not as horrific.

• Useful 2
1 hour ago, merylinkid said:

To be fair, these are OLD charges.   They happened when he was 15/16 and he was arrested for them.   He pled to lesser charges and did 8 months in jail.   But its coming out now and Disco doesn't want to be associated with it, or more likely realized Josh doesn't have the fan base they thought he had and needed an excuse to dump him.   Please note, Edgar is back on our screen and his charges were much more recent.   But trust me, not as horrific.

I must have missed that.  I haven't seen Edgar on the show since he pled guilty.  Well, he is on the old shows if you watch them.

• Like 1

Casey and the Cornelia Marie are probably done for as well.   How can you see Casey and not think about Josh and what he did?

Probably unpopular opinion, but I think it's time for this show to sunset.  The crab's running out (I stopped watching when they started stabbing cods on camera), there have been instances of drug abuse among the cast, domestic abuse, and now two verified cases of sexual abuse of a minor.

Just end it.

Edited by millennium

Big cod harvest reduction, too.  Yikes.

So....if anyone knows...were now worthless quotas sold earlier, or are they awarded only after a given approval for a season?  Do folks have to pay a renewal to remain in line for the granting of quotas?  Basically, I am wondering how much quota holders may have lost in such investments for the 2022-23 seasons.

The holders of the debt in the fishery have huge decisions to make.  Do they choose to give forbearance to the various  notes on the vessels and such, or do they force bankruptcies?  Will various governments guarantee the loans to avoid such a thing?

Any word from Disco as to filming the limited bairdi season, or at all?

• Like 1

Cod too.   So we won't even see them switching to cod fishing.     The fishery is shut down pretty much.    I honestly don't know how those boats that didn't have Disco money to invest and develop other businesses are going to survive.

Wow, I am shocked. The charges are disgusting.  He served nine months in jail and lived with Grant as he could not live in the house with another minor, which would have been  a than 12 year-old Jake.  I also feel it is time for this show to end.   He committed this crime as a 15 year-old juvenile so I wonder how the police report was obtained, normally juvenile records are sealed. I wonder if the mother of his daughter ( age 9 ) knew/knows about this.

This show is probably dead.   No crab fishing at all next year which was the whole "deadliest job in the world" premise of the show.   

As for Josh, he was only doing the show for the attention.   He had no real desire to fish.   But he owns the CM.   He still has to pay the bills for her whether she is fishing or not.   Without that Disco money he has no choice but to fish.   It's also not like his OTHER business interests will do well with this news comin out.   Pretty much fishing is all he has left to earn income.   I find this HILARIOUS.   Karma found you, you fame strumpet.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, merylinkid said:

This show is probably dead.   No crab fishing at all next year which was the whole "deadliest job in the world" premise of the show.   

As for Josh, he was only doing the show for the attention.   He had no real desire to fish.   But he owns the CM.   He still has to pay the bills for her whether she is fishing or not.   Without that Disco money he has no choice but to fish.   It's also not like his OTHER business interests will do well with this news comin out.   Pretty much fishing is all he has left to earn income.   I find this HILARIOUS.   Karma found you, you fame strumpet.

I'm not so sure about him "owning" the CM.  Casey also had a share in it.  Josh's share may be closer to what Phil's share was in the CM.  He can't fish because he wants to just sit in the wheelhouse and if I was the Captain, his ass would be on deck doing what he he should be doing ie:  bait!

• LOL 1

Linda Greenlaw will be cool.   

The "Bob" Nielsen is the replacement for the Harris Brothers.   "Trying to make the old man proud" is going to be heard often I'll bet.   Just ugh.   Which is kinda unfair, she might be a nice young lady.   

The guy who wants to bump Harley is just FINE BY ME.   Go right ahead.

But honestly it sounds like they are trying too hard to come up with storylines when the storyline especially this season is What do you do when the major moneymaking fisheries are closed?  

• Like 2

Not sure what his lawyers think he's going to get here, they're out in the middle of the Bering sea and it sounds like they're saying that someone hired for medical emergencies should have known what was wrong with his stomach pains & magicked him to a hospital immediately. Or am I reading it wrong?

• Like 3
22 hours ago, Shrek said:

Not sure what his lawyers think he's going to get here, they're out in the middle of the Bering sea and it sounds like they're saying that someone hired for medical emergencies should have known what was wrong with his stomach pains & magicked him to a hospital immediately. Or am I reading it wrong?

That is what I understood also.  We have seen many times on the show that if they get sick or injured, they handle it on the boat or if badly injured, they call the Coast Guard.  Either way, I still think the outcome would have been the same for Nick.