Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: All Trawling, No Trolling

• Start Topic

Isn't Nick a relative of Jake A?    

Ehh, legal troubles for these guys are par for the course.   Not that I am condoning DV at all.   But remember when they had to get Matt back in time for his court date.   And the guys on the Time Bandit had to hit up the ATM for bail?    Wild Bill was the first inmate of the new Dutch Harbor jail?   Unless these guys do something to endanger the show (Chumlee's guns and drugs might do it) like happened with Sons of Guns, we won't hear the outcome, unless we dig for it ourselves.

Isn't Nick a relative of Jake A?    

IIRC an Uncle

Ehh, legal troubles for these guys are par for the course.   Not that I am condoning DV at all.   But remember when they had to get Matt back in time for his court date.   And the guys on the Time Bandit had to hit up the ATM for bail?    Wild Bill was the first inmate of the new Dutch Harbor jail?   Unless these guys do something to endanger the show (Chumlee's guns and drugs might do it) like happened with Sons of Guns, we won't hear the outcome, unless we dig for it ourselves.

Right, these guys live work hard play hard lifestyles. Really, when I think about it, Nick's arrest does sound like it may not be all that bad since there was no bail and he was released on personal recognizance. Domestic violence is always bad, but class 4 is the least serious type - a misdemeanor.

I worry about him - he's been in pain for years.  In very early seasons he'd discuss how much advil he was taking, usually an amusing comment.  But that stuff can do a number on you.  Hope he didn't switch to the hard stuff.

A quick google indicates that 4th degree domestic violence in AK is something like endangering somebody through something you're doing, as opposed to assaulting them intentionally.  So he was likely doing something stupid under the influence that put somebody else at risk.  I hope it's that and he takes a good accounting of what got him there (and thankful that the person is safe, if they are)

If I recall correctly, Jake's mother's sister is married to Nick's brother.  So his aunt is married to Nick's brother.  Which doesn't really make him anything to Nick, except in the sense that they might know each other in an extended family sense.

• Love 2

If I recall correctly, Jake's mother's sister is married to Nick's brother.  So his aunt is married to Nick's brother.  Which doesn't really make him anything to Nick, except in the sense that they might know each other in an extended family sense.

The fleet is a small community, with lots of family ties not only on individual boats but within the fleet. And those ties continue when they're not fishing for crab, as shown by Nick running his family boat tendering salmon (according the the discovery bio).
  • Love 1

Oh, I'm not denying they're close or even that he calls/considers him an uncle -- Nick got him the job, after all.  I was just clarifying that he's not a first degree uncle, if there's such a term. Your aunt's brother in law is not technically speaking an actual relative of yours.

It reminds me of that episode of Roseanne where Nana Mary is trying to figure out what Crystal (Roseanne's friend who married Dan's father)'s baby's relation is to her... "and that makes him...nothing to me." 

Sig and Dwyer (? I think?  a young captain.) are making the talk show rounds in advance of tonight's premier.

Sig said on TODAY that he was "too stubborn to die."  Heh.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Galloway Cave said:

I guess the Brenna A crew screwed up again with rigging the pots:

http://www.tmz.com/2016/06/24/deadliest-catch-captain-crab-pot/

Hmmm, not surprising with a fairly new crew, and really just a slap on the wrist with a $1500 fine and probation. We've seen others boat do worse and get off with warnings (hey Jon, dropped any pots early or fished out of bounds lately).

I had never taken the time to go to the Discovery bio page for the Breanna A before. Well publicized that the captain is the newest "youngest captain," but I didn't realize just how green the rest of the crew is. Really no long time Bering Sea crabbers at all. In the past the "young" captains always take along experienced crew. Even Elliott, who was by all accounts a good crabbers who knew his way around his boats (never liked him, but he WAS good until his demons got ahold of him - and then he was about as bad as could be, even dangerous at times).

The other thing I took away from reading the bios was from Britt's page:  "Britt took this job over other offers because of his respect and admiration for Sean. But Britt is always a tad nervous. Working with a new crew of new fishermen, Britt will continue to worry until everyone finds their place on the deck of the Brenna A."  I totally understand Sean being pissed over the way Britt talked, but his mouth isn'the why he was unceremoniously left at the dock - nope he was fired because he wasn't doing his job (which at least once caused a safety hazard to the rest of the crew). When I read that bit about him worrying about the rest of the crew being green, and seeing he only has 5 years fishing, 3 of it being crabbing, I just have to wonder who he thinks he is. Well, anyway he won't have to worry about finding his place on the Breanna A anymore, it's on the dock waving as the boat sails away.

• Love 2

Sig's back on Evine shilling again - fresh off the Bering sea where Edgar is still freezing his balls off finishing the long tough season.

He talked about the recent loss, and hinted at another health scare in the upcoming season (starts airing mid April).  I thought I heard a smoker's cough; I know it can last for quite some time afer someone quits, but it made me go "Hmmmm" (as a hopeless smoker myself).  His wife is monitoring his diet quite strictly, so he's no longer allowed to dip his crab legs in butter.  :-(   He's buying her an air fryer so he can have "deep fried" cod & chips without the fat from frying.

I still envy anyone who can afford to buy this stuff.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, merylinkid said:

Wait you can "fry" stuff without all the bad parts of "frying?"   Please explain.

Some infernal contraption all the shopping channels and infomercials have been touting as an "air fryer".  for years.  Apparently, everybody makes one now ...  No fat or grease required.  Allegedly.

12 hours ago, merylinkid said:

April 11 premiere date.   Over on Twitter, there is a post of Sig recapping all the past seasons in 90 seconds.   It's awesome.   "I had a frigging heart attack."

I am Twitterless ... but could be enticed by a link to that 90 second diatribe.

Sig's back on EVINE shopping channel selling Alaskan seafood this weekend (Deadliest Catch Collection).  I am lame enough to watch & try to glean any tidbits of info he drops, so may keep y'all posted if he hints at anything ...  :-)

• Love 2

Well, much to my surprise, Sig wasn't on - Jake Anderson was.  He looked a little rough, and kept begging Dimitry James for some hair & makeup help.  Apparently he had a Facebook interview with the show hostess where he spilled some tea about the upcoming season, but I don't do that stuff.  Nothing interesting - he just ate a shitload of seafood.  :-(

• Love 3
58 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

Thanks for the link.  I think innocent people are more likely to respond this way, rather than mush-mouthed denials.

Wow, I had NO idea!!!  Some women make me ashamed to be one ... just sayin'.

• Love 3

I remember that somebody would pop up occasionally on the Discovery boards and make cryptic references to Sig's "other daughter" and abuse.  Wonder if it was the ex wife.

• Love 1

You guys beat me to it. TMZ is reporting his arrest in Phoenix. He looks horrible. That is from the Meth he was using and caught with.  It makes you look 20 years older than you are.  I saw a picture of him in January 2017, and he looked fine. Very sad...

Edited by NEGirl
  • Love 2
52 minutes ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

Odds he has retained his ownership position in the Cornelia Marie?

Most recent articles have referred to Josh having bought the boat several years ago (no mention of Jake as co-owner).  Then Josh had to sell the majority of the ownership to the new investors . . . and had to have Casey on as co-captain to secure that deal.  I think Jake long ago snorted his share of the CM up his nose.

• Love 2

I was just googling around a bit, and saw that Elliott is now reportedly working on the Aleutian Ballad - the boat that's based in Ketchikan.  It takes cruise ship tourists out on a little mini-demonstration of what crab fishing is like.  I've done the tour twice; on our second trip, Derrick Ray was working on the crew.  He's the guy who took over the Cornelia Marie right after Phil died.  He butted heads BIG TIME with Josh and Jake (who owned a combined 25% of the boat).  He thought they were crab fishing; they thought they were starring in a reality show, and their work ethic showed it.

As much as I enjoyed the trips we did on the Aleutian Ballad, I would not spend ONE CENT to go on a boat tour that featured Elliot Neese.  

• Love 5

Jake Harris was arrested this week for stealing a car and drug possession. He's almost unrecognizable in his mug shot. https://www.aol.com/article/entertainment/2017/04/25/deadliest-catch-star-jacob-harris-arrested-for-stealing-car-d/22054942/

• Love 1

I did the Aleutian Ballad tour, too -- Derrick was taking that week off, unfortunately.  I probably wouldn't have introduced the topic, but I always felt like the show threw him under the bus trying to prop up the whole Josh/Jake/Phil's legacy story.  I was reminded last week in watching a clip show that he was the one who filled in for Phil when he went into the hospital, and the one who had to break the news of Phil's death to Sig.  

My gut instinct would be to avoid Elliott as well, but I can't fault the guy for making a living.  He's obviously a very capable engineer and fisherman - let's hope a more stable life on shore makes it possible to fight his demons.

I'm sorry to hear about Jake.  Addiction is a horrible thing.  My sister works in a detox facility -- as tragic as it is, there are people who do turn the corner and clean up on their 10th or 20th attempt, so there is always hope and maybe jail can help.  As heartbroken as she is to learn of a client's death, there are also moments when somebody walks in 6 months sober that she had long ago assumed would never make it.  

• Love 4
1 minute ago, kassa said:

I did the Aleutian Ballad tour, too -- Derrick was taking that week off, unfortunately.  I probably wouldn't have introduced the topic, but I always felt like the show threw him under the bus trying to prop up the whole Josh/Jake/Phil's legacy story.  I was reminded last week in watching a clip show that he was the one who filled in for Phil when he went into the hospital, and the one who had to break the news of Phil's death to Sig.  

My gut instinct would be to avoid Elliott as well, but I can't fault the guy for making a living.  He's obviously a very capable engineer and fisherman - let's hope a more stable life on shore makes it possible to fight his demons.

Derrick did refer to how he got the villain edit, but it was in general terms that non-fans of the show might not have even understood.  "Sometimes we are portrayed on a show in a way that makes us look like a totally different person from who we really are."  My comment about his belief that they were fishing for crabs and the Harris boys just thought they were on a reality show was from a magazine interview.

I can't fault Elliott (or anyone) for trying to make a living, but I'm not sure that being closer to drug and alcohol sources (on shore) is all that stable for him either.  But at least he won't be putting his crew's lives in danger on the Aleutian Ballad.  I just wonder whether he's been able to clean up his foul mouth.  (Of course, that could be said about most of the captains on DC.)

• Love 2

Saw in the news that Jake was released on his on recog(ROR) last Saturday. I hope he checks himself into some kind of rehab. The article said he has a court date in early May.  I saw a picture of him in January 2017 and he looked fine. In fact, I was surprised by how young he looked. Shocking how terrible he looks four months later. Meth is a terrible drug to mess with(not that any of them are good). It takes such a toll on a person. The article also said he suffered brain damage from the beating/robbery. I do not know where they got that info from.....

Glad that Elliott is working on the Aleutian Ballad, at least he can support his kids doing something.

The captains will never clean up their foul mouths - lol ! Cursing is just a way of life for them.

Edited by NEGirl
  • Love 2

Ah, the two Jakes. I read in the episode thread Jake A is still blundering through half a step away from a mental break down, heart attack, or stroke. I remember how he was such a good kid when he came on the Northwestern. Used to like to see him onscreen. Like others are saying, he was a good deck hand and learned to be a pretty good mechanic. Don't know if I'd say good engineer because I expect the engineer should have the responsibility to maintain spare parts  - requiring more planning than I see from him. Wish he'd step back and remember what made him happy in those days - because we never see him happy these days. I LIKED him back then, but now I'm with some other folks who FF through his nonsense.

Jake H - wow I had to really study that picture to recognize him. He always had demons, but the drugs are truly ruining his life. Hope and pray he gets help and comes out the other side - even if it means we never hear another word about him. And, as I recall, he was the better crabber of the Harris boys. Even when Phil was alive and running the boat I thought Josh was there for the cameras.

Edited by SRTouch
  • Love 5
On 4/26/2017 at 8:54 AM, AZChristian said:

Derrick did refer to how he got the villain edit, but it was in general terms that non-fans of the show might not have even understood.  "Sometimes we are portrayed on a show in a way that makes us look like a totally different person from who we really are."  My comment about his belief that they were fishing for crabs and the Harris boys just thought they were on a reality show was from a magazine interview.

I don't think Derrick was a villian at all, the kids were.  Derrick was hired to captain and fish the boat, and the two kids decided that things weren't going well enough and forced a mutiny based on an inflated view of their 25% ownership.  Derrick should have called Cornelia and had her 75% straighten things out.  But maybe he was just sick of them and the boat at the time.

• Love 3

He wasn't the villain, but the show highlighted him telling Josh that Sainted Phil had done them a disservice, then months of shows following that of Jake and Josh badmouthing him, propping the fiction that they were trying everything they could to hold Phil's legacy together, as opposed to just enjoying being on tv.  The Cornelia Marie fangirls were pretty vicious about how terrible a person Derrick was, picking on those poor boys in mourning.  Many of us stood up for him, too, but it was overwhelmingly against him on the Discovery boards, and, presumably, on the CM and other facebook sites.  I can imagine the kind of mail he might have received.

It's ironic that now the show features Sean, who actually embodies the stories they were trying to tell about Jake Anderson and Josh/Jake Harris.  He was an awesome find, and they don't need to force anything about him.

To clarify, I don't think they were forcing the story of Jake A overcoming incredible hardship to become a man on his own terms -- sobriety, the loss of father and sister, all of that unfolded on screen, and a lesser man would have buckled.  They did apparently hide his rage issues, choosing to show him as "emotional" [insert Edgar Hansen eyeroll].  Many of these men are damaged - it's part of what makes them interesting. But it also shows that each year very conscious decisions are made as to what to show us and how to frame what they do show us.  

• Love 6

I don't remember too much of what happened after the mutiny, but I remember watching that episode with my dad who was in his eighties, with me in my fifties.  Together we had decades of construction and construction management under us, and we were for Derrick from the git-go.

Seems like a bad set up to start with though.

• Love 3

So, Disco (despite their protestations about turning a new leaf towards "quality"), is trying to sell a new show (they ONLY care about the title, not the content) about "mysteries".  Apparently they will revisit stuff like the Mary Celeste and other unexplained disappearances - I hold absolutely NO hope that they will do this topic any sort of justice,  Because, Disco ...

"SAD"

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, NEGirl said:

Think no further than that laugher of a special involving John and Andy Hillstrand.

OMG - I'd almost managed to scrub my memory bank of that particular monstrosity ... but you just HAD to go there, NE Girl, Godammit!

• Love 1

AZ - Sorry - I kind of thought you would get a kick out of that !  Typical disco made up bs.  I have often thought they should call the channel the "bs" channel instead of the Discovery Channel.  Sadly, there is no longer too much of anything to discover.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, NEGirl said:

AZ - Sorry - I kind of thought you would get a kick out of that !  Typical disco made up bs.  I have often thought they should call the channel the "bs" channel instead of the Discovery Channel.  Sadly, there is no longer too much of anything to discover.

I am somehow part of Disco's "Influencer Panel", and my influence goes nowhere.  I want the number of the man in charge, so I can tell him what we all see, and think about his shitshow channel.

• Love 3