Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: All Trawling, No Trolling

• Start Topic

I agree about Josh. I don't think he ever wanted to be a captain.  Then the money and tv fame came in. I disagree about Jake. I remember when Mike Rowe interviewed Jake and Phil in a rest.  in the begining of season two.  Jake was only 19, and he stated he wanted to be a crab fisherman and someday own numerous boats. He also stated he had crab fished the year before on another boat right after he graduated from high school when he was only 18.  He was not on a boat being filmed than.  I remember seeing Jake throw the hook numerous times on the CM an he had no problem. If I remember right, it had something to do with "the Norgw. way"  vs the way Phil had taught him. Remember the NW also did the stringing of the nets different than what was done on the CM.  As I said in the earlier post, Jake has been clean and sober for months now. He completed rehab and sober living. I think if he can stay clean he will be the one who does the fishing with Casey. Josh will hang around as long as the cameras are there. When the show is over he'll be gone. If Jake stays clean, and hoppefully he will, he will be the one on the boat full time while Josh is the "owner".   Just my 2 cents worth........

• Love 5

it sure is nice to hear Phil Harris' voice once again.

What's NOT nice to hear again? That stupid "born, bred, corn-fed" line again (or how ever it is said). I wanted to stab my ears out as soon as I heard it.

Lots of happy crab dancing, lots of smiling Lenny = Good stuff.

• Love 1

I enjoyed the marathon yesterday, well up until they started showing the last couple of years.  The first 3 or so years they had some really interesting and fun boat/crews.  I wish they would have kept following some of them instead of adding Elliot, Junior and Wild Bill.  I have not enjoyed the CM either since Phil passed.  

• Love 2

I zipped through the marathon (basically skipping through all the boats except the Northwestern and explicit scenes from the other ones I wanted to rewatch).  I did watch all the new commentary, and I did see scenes I had not seen before, even though they were not marked "new footage." 

Once again I was touched by Josh pulling it together while his father was dying, but then the whole Derrick Ray thing sunk him (with me) again.  And his talking heads didn't help.  He's all about posturing about himself as captain, and what it's like being in the captain's chair with your face pressed against the window in the midst of stormy seas.  He leaves out the part where Casey (who apparently owns the boat as much as he does) is running the boat and he's in the non-active chair while he's doing that anxious looking out the window part.  

The other captains must just be completely disgusted.  They started last season openly giving credit to Casey and making somewhat snide remarks, and I can only imagine what this season will be like.  But since I assume these talking heads were filmed AFTER this season which is about to be aired, Josh isn't about to be humbled (even if he should be by whatever happens).  

Anybody know what quota Casey's bringing to the party? Because if he's got a 25% share, and it's HIS quota they're fishing, and leasing the rest, then Josh is as much a captain as the Mutual Cooperative Bank of Seattle, or whoever else owns the note on the boat.

• Love 4

Once again I was touched by Josh pulling it together while his father was dying, but then the whole Derrick Ray thing sunk him (with me) again.

We got to meet Captain Derrick in Ketchikan last year.  He didn't talk much about Deadliest Catch, other than to say that things are sometimes edited to tell the story that the producers want to tell.  I felt like he was getting a bad edit the first time I saw the episodes with him, and everything I've read since then supports that.

Example:  Derrick said something about going to a different area where other boats were having success with pulling in crabs.  Josh's response was, "We're not crab fishing.  We're filming a TV show.  We've filmed what we need to film, and are going back to the harbor."

Now THAT sounds more like Josh. 

• Love 3

I always thought that Derrick got a raw deal.  He was, from what I've read, a well respected captain who intended to help Phil's boys find crab.  What he encountered instead was Josh mugging for the cameras and Jake doing drugs, while the rest of the crew seemed to be reenacting Mutiny on the Bounty.  Josh subsequently treated him shamefully after covering for his drug addled brother and posturing like a fool on After the Catch.  I don't blame Derrick one bit for wanting to punch Josh's smug mug.

• Love 3

He talked about it.  How much he actually wanted it vs wanted to be on tv appearing to want it is anybody's guess.  And continues to be, but years of actions speak louder than words.

Which is why Mandy is going to be running a 140,000 ton cruise ship before Josh leaves Dutch Harbor in sole control of the Cornelia Marie.  

At which time he'll sneer that she doesn't OWN it.

Edited by kassa
  • Love 4

Casey own 25% of the CM, the same as Phil did when the boat was owned by Cornelia Devlin. I saw on a "live chat" from the DC last year that Casey said they are using some of his quota and Josh owns a very small amount of quota. Casy said Josh was still the majority owner.  It will be interesting to see how Casey and Josh get along. Josh is in love with the idea of being an owner/captain  but does not want to put the time or work to become a true captain.  Truthfully, I think Jake would make a better captain if he can stay clean. He has been clean and sober for months now and completed rehab and sober living. I think he may have fished opies.

• Love 2

Maybe Josh should just be an owner and Jake the captain.  The only problem is that Josh wants to be on camera.  I can't say I blame him though, I mean he's on camera, he's getting girls, guys are buying him drinks, to him it's all good. I think someone like Sig realizes that all this fame stuff is fleeting and one day it will be over.  

• Love 2

I just miss Mike Rowe and After the Catch.  The Bait is so awkward to watch, and doesn't really result in any candid moments.  I loved the "around the table" format, because you'd see people's various reactions to what was being said, and it ended up being more real and full of banter.  On The Bait they're reading cue cards and hamming it up and while there are glimpses of the old candor, it's just not the same.  

For all the "everybody hates Keith!" editing in previous years, to me it was telling that when Phil was recounting his pulmonary embolism experience, he said he called Keith "because you're the one I trust."  And you'd see Jonathan relate some old running around on his wife story, and see Sig kind of flinch.

Was the last "After the Catch" the one with the Harrises and Derrick Ray?  That got real unpleasant. 

Edited by kassa
  • Love 2

I just watched the special about season 10.  And I will say the same thing about Josh; he should be the boat owner, pay someone else to be captain and call it a day.  But, if he were just the owner he wouldn't be on TV and that's what he really wants.

I think Scotty was a fool to say what he did to Andy, he put Jon in a very bad position.  I'm sure he knew how close Jon and Andy are, and for him to come between them like that sucked.  

• Love 2

Scotty, like all young people expects his father to help him. He has been crab fishing since he was 16. He thinks that he is owed more than Andy's daughters or Neal's sons or his sister.

I could see how that would irritate uncles, if a nephew thinks he gets their share of a boat/business.   not just the father's share, but theirs, too. 

also, I bet he was paid for all the time he spent crab fishing.   why would they owe him anything?

Jonathan might be sympathetic to his son's plight.   However, he is partners with Andy.   Also, when they were talking about how Zach Larsen treated Wild Bill, Jonathan was quite clear that Zach was the one out of line.   You don't diss the captain while you were work for him.    You don't want to work for that captain anymore, you go bitch all you want.   What Scotty did was try to advance himself at the expense of Captain Andy and the Time Bandit.   And I am quite sure Scotty expected to be back on the TB with open arms after implying "Hey Andy you screwed up, let me go make money while you deal with the bad stuff."

• Love 1
(edited)

My DVR is picking up what the guide says is a new 3 hour show tonight (5-8 pm Pacific; repeats 9-12) :

Legends of the Bering Sea

Fishermen aboard several ships brave tumultuous seas, harsh winter weather and hazardous working conditions while in pursuit of lucrative Alaskan crab.

Edited by walnutqueen

It's probably just 3 hours of re-worked footage from previous shows, knowing Disco like we do.  But I'll check it out in case there's some new commentary from the Captains - I always enjoy that.

Like you walnutqueen, I always like new commentary too. I am going to give "Legends of The Bering Sea" a try. We always have fast forward.

I can't tell you how many remotes I've gone through by wearing out the FF button!    I can't imagine my life without this feature.  :-)

It's probably just 3 hours of re-worked footage from previous shows, knowing Disco like we do.  But I'll check it out in case there's some new commentary from the Captains - I always enjoy that.

I hope you did watch this show tonight, it is wonderful! To get the history about the TB and the NW and their families is fascinating IMO. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Clod - Despite what Josh now says, while Phil was alive Josh always said he did not want to make fishing a long term career. He always stated he was doing it to be with his father and brother(and the cameras). You can go back and look through old episodes and hear him saying it. I guess Josh has forgotten that its all on film. That is probably one of the reasons he knows so little abut the workings on a boat.

Edited by NEGirl
  • Love 1
(edited)

I was just looking at the DC FB page and saw Casey McManus did a "Live Q & A" today. He said two people  named Roger and Kari have bought into the ownership of the CM.  He did not give any other information. Interesting.........

Edited by NEGirl
  • Love 1
(edited)

Casey is featured on my local Joe's Crab Shack commercials - most recently extolling the virtues of Jumbo Bairdi.

Deadliest Catch Collection seafood & stuff comes back to the Evine Shopping channel on Thursday, June 10th (10 pm Eastern) and Friday June 11th.  No word yet on whether Captain Sig Hansen will be co-captain, but he's usually there.

ETA - I got the dates wrong.  It's June 11th and 12th.

Edited by walnutqueen
  • Love 2

Saw a very cool spoiler on FB -- released by Discovery itself, officially -- so if you're curious, you can probably find a big surprise for tonight.  

Or remain unspoiled!

• Love 2

Saw a very cool spoiler on FB -- released by Discovery itself, officially -- so if you're curious, you can probably find a big surprise for tonight.  

Or remain unspoiled!

I don't do FB, so I will be surprised.  Could you give a girl a hint on whether it will be pleasantly surprised or gobsmacked?  I need to know whether to go to the liquor store or stick with strong coffee.   :-)

(edited)

Just watched the spoiler.  Thanks for the heads up!

Walnutqueen - just google discovery channel deadliest catch . . . you don't have to do Facebook to watch it.

Edited by AZChristian

Or remain unspoiled!

Are you talking about the

Saga

getting a new

captain

That's fun news. Makes me wonder if Sig had a hunch or something?

I don't know where to put this, so I'm sorry if this is the wrong place. I know we've noticed Bill wearing his lovely blouse in every episode of The Bait. Has anyone noticed if the other captains haven't changed clothes either? I don't know why I'm borderline obsessed with their outfits (maybe because if they were women it would be huge deal if one wore the same thing in every episode). I kind of wonder if it is a Steve Jobs/Mark Zuckerberg power outfit thing Bill does or if he figures they were filming everything in one day so there was no need to change.

Deadliest Catch Collection seafood & stuff comes back to the Evine Shopping channel on Thursday, June 10th (10 pm Eastern) and Friday June 11th.  No word yet on whether Captain Sig Hansen will be co-captain, but he's usually there.

Totally forgot to try to watch last night, June 10th. Do you know what time it will be on or rerun today/next? Was Sig on?

• Love 1

Totally forgot to try to watch last night, June 10th. Do you know what time it will be on or rerun today/next? Was Sig on?

SweePea59 - I totally messed up the dates.  It airs tonight - Thursday June 11th, 7-9 pm; and tomorrow - Friday June 12th, 7 - 9 am,  11am - noon, and 4 - 6 pm.

• Love 1

You are welcome, SweePea59.  I was watching the Beekman Boys on Evine today (don't judge - it was only to see the baby goats!), and the host announced that Captain Sig will be there tonight and tomorrow..  I enjoy seeing his enthusiasm for bringing Alaskan fisheries items to the US consumers (and for making money hand over fist!); his stuff is quite popular and seems to sell out fast, even with exhorbitant prices.  Last time I caught the show, Edgar called in twice, so I'm looking forward to seeing who calls in to harass Sig this time around.  :-)

• Love 2
(edited)

It's funny how when the host isn't reading the sales script he just wants to bullshit with Sig but Sig is all about selling that seafood.

ETA: That was the Thurs nite host. I see there's a diff host today, Friday. I thought they would just rerun the segment, with possibly updated graphics. Shows what I know about shopping channels. I guess it's actually live.

Edited by SweePea59
  • Love 1

It  takes a strong stomach to listen to these endlessly repetitive sales pitches (they need to be background noise for multi-tasking), but once in a while you get a tidbit.  I busted a gut laughing at the earnest caller who'd been watching The Deadliest Catch for 11 seasons only because of Sig, his most favorite Captain of all time.  The guy said he loved how Sig treated his son just like the rest of the crew!!!  Sig was very gracious, and smoothly slipped in a reference to Jake Anderson, without embarrassing the guy by directly correcting his error.  But the best part was when the off camera sidelines chatter was getting loud, and Sig shouted at everyone to pipe down.  Silence ensued.  heh!

• Love 1

But the best part was when the off camera sidelines chatter was getting loud, and Sig shouted at everyone to pipe down.  Silence ensued.  heh!

I didn't see the show, but    :)

reminds me of a late night poker show I watched a few years ago.    Doyle Brunson (famous, older poker player) was at the table along with some younger professional players.      Brunson was considering his move, and the chatter was getting loud.    Brunson gruffly made a comment about the noise.   and they all shut up.  

• Love 1