Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E09: Boiling Point

• Start Topic

(edited)

Plus you've gotta be up on the latest fashions to get the most possible "Likes" right?

Cae and Ty hve never been what most of us would call fashionable.  They do a version of what they think fashion is.  Cate on most of the after shows just looks like a Pinterest fashion miss.  And Tyler does his best Beiber impersonation with the superstar shades and oversized blazers.

Did you see their book cover?  With that hat on her head?  She looked like someone's Aunt Agnes.

I dont have high hopes for her making the cover of Bride magazine in anything she picks out.

Edited by Brooklynista
  • Love 4

I'm confused about why Tyler and Cait are acting like she's doing nothing. 20 pounds in 2 months is not nothing. Even if 10 of that is baby weight, 10 pounds in 2 months is actually a good amount of weight to lose. That's a little over 1 pound a week. That is a very reasonable and sensible weight loss schedule. So why does Tyler need to find out how to encourage (push) her to do more? She is losing weight. Why is 20 pounds in 2 months a disappointment?

Ryan, don't make me defend Maci. How dare you! Anyway, you're an idiot. You and Amber could have a stupid contest. I actually get why Maci worries about him having Bentley by himself. He is so dumb. And what was the point of the racist wicker basket discussion? What were they talking about?

• Love 3

Racist wicker basket? Did I miss something else???

It was one of those brief sceens they show between commercial breaks. Ryan and Shelby were at dinner and Ryan reached up to grab the chandelier and said it was wicker and then Shelby said something in an "Asain" voice and then Ryan told her he was going to "poke" her when they got home. I have no idea.

• Love 1

Oh my gosh, remember Tyler with the super long, two-sizes-too-big, leather jacket? No. Just no. 

I also reeeeally need to give Catelynn some bangs.

She does look so much nicer when they leave some bangs slanting across her forehead on the aftershows.

Re: the wedding dress, I'm stunned they're not pursuing a free dress in exchange for product placement on the cover of OK magazine or whatever. Because you know Tyler isn't going to marry her* if he doesn't have a magazine cover deal and the whole thing filmed on reality TV!

*He isn't anyway, but you see my point.

• Love 2
(edited)

At this point, the only think Maci would be good for is, to be a spokesperson for seat belt and child car seat safety.  Girl has nothing else going on. Zzzzzzz

Farrah's life, outside of her special appearances at said strip clubs and the like, is phony and should not have been part of this show. Now, if Maci had come right out and said Farrah's life on this show is one big set-up with all the paid "friends", I would have stood up and cheered!

Is this it?

Yes. Thank you.

Edited by GreatKazu
  • Love 2
(edited)

Tyler made me cringe on multiple occasions. Another thing that makes me sick is thinking how I treated others sometimes when I was that age. I was a late bloomer at do unto others, maybe 32, I'm holding out Tyler will be the same.

I see lots of love for precious baby Nova. She's dressed, cleaned, fed, changed etc. Yes, that sounds minimal, but i fear baby Cate with her mom wasn't always. She handles confrontation without going off the deep end (ahem, Farrah) and surprises me often with her mature and dare I say wise thinking. For me, that trumps any weight challenge. No meth, no child in the system, no anger to the world. The kid was dealt a tough hand, I don't give a flying fuck if she's a few over ideal, she's kicked adversity in the face and is a good person and seemingly loving mother. Hats off.

I live in Chattanooga and have never seen Maci, damn it. Countryside Cafe, where they learned of Ryan's wreck, is off the beaten path and excellent should you find yourself here. I tried and tried to figure out where the couples breakfast was held and can't. Ryan was so excited about his food I wanted to know.

My boyfriend was at the bar when they filmed that scene with Macis guy and his friends having brews a few eps ago. The post 32 me didn't yell "why the fuck didn't you at least text me when you knew it was Teen Mom and I'm obsessed? I woulda been there!" But no my friends, I said "oh wow, awesome! I will have to look for that scene".

We live and learn.

Forget about seeing Maci- look for Ryan!

Tell him he's 27 and (physically) hot. Get a Starbucks habit so he can stop yawning, stop being douchey, drive the speed limit, make Bentley sit in the booster seat, move out of his mama's house and he'd be hot as hell. He could date women closer to his age instead of girls closer to Maci's age. (I know 23 and 27 isn't a big age difference but I think it kind of is when his girlfriends have all been college students while he's closer to 30- girls his own age were working on careers and looking for a guy to get serious with who doesn't live with his mom and regularly do 180mph in their cars). Seriously, Ryan, get your stuff together and there are women - not girls - out there for you. Grow up.

ETA: Also please tell him not to say stuff like "you're gonna get poked." Especially not on TV. In my head hot (but douchey) Ryan has way more game than that. How disappointing.

Sorry y'all....I'm kind of embarrassed about the fact that I felt the need to make this post but Ryan is just so much potential hotness wasted by what he does/doesn't do. I wish he would get a clue.

Edited by MyPeopleAreNordic
  • Love 5
(edited)

Also:

-I think Tyler is a control freak (possibly because his childhood was so "out of control" thanks to Butch). Maybe Catelynn subconsciously feels like she is putting up some form of resistance by not losing weight since he seems to so want to be in control of it. I felt for her a the dinner table scene because it looked like she was actively trying to fight back tears. I'd pay to see her tell Tyler "I'll marry you if you gain (insert #) pounds of muscle, have large pecs/ arms muscles, six pack abs, and you run a 5k in 23 minutes or less. Oh by the way, did you call the gym today?"

- Poor deluded Tyler (and Catelynn) think that a bachelor's degree in Psychology means he'll make a nice living. That's because they don't know a lot of people with college degrees. They've just been told "go to college and you'll make enought money to support yourself/live better than your parents/etc." I am a college instructor and SO many first generation college students fall into that trap. They've heard "go to college" so much but have no clue that graduates of some majors - like psychology - make nothing with out a graduate degree. I can't even make fun of him, because he just DOES NOT KNOW. My mother-in-law comes from a family where no one went to college until her children. I was at one point an education major and she was embarrassed by it because teachers don't make any money, etc (whole other story here about her opinion of teachers but I guess the main idea here is most non-college educated people hear all the time that teachers don't make a lot) and would tell people I was a psychology major. She legitimately thought it "looked better" because I could make more money that way because she thought the psychologists she took her older daughter to only had bachelor's degrees or something (or never considered it beyond "they went to college"). She was shocked years later when I told her about my friend with a psych degree who was considering going back to school for a graduate degree because she was making LESS than $24k/yr working for the state's Head Start program (and working 50 weeks a year where as teachers get summers off and longer vacations around the holidays, etc). My guess is Tyler and family are like my mother in law - they think most college graduates are going to make money just because they have an undergrad degree. There must be a bunch of people like this, because psychology is the second most-popular college degree according to this - http://college.usatoday.com/2014/10/26/same-as-it-ever-was-top-10-most-popular-college-majors/- and my guess is the majority of those students aren't planning on grad school (at least not until they get out in the job market and see what it's like).

The psychology department head at my work has a joke: "What do you do with a degree in psychology? Go to grad school." Another common joke among the psych and business instructors and professors at my college is "what do business and psychology bachelor's degrees have in common?" "They're both like (certain part of anatomy), everyone's got one."

Considering I'm not confident that Tyler can barely finish a 4-year degree, I'm really hesitant to think he could do grad school. Please look into some sort of trade school, Tyler.

- So Matt punched a hole in the wall of hotel in Vegas? Damn, dude, that wasn't even your wall (or your girlfriend-who-you're-mooching-off-of's wall). My guess is they had to call and tell Heather about it because MTV was gonna get the bill for the room and get charged for the damage he did.

- Matt is all kinds of creepy and has some anger issues, but Amber was full-on old Amber with how she was arguing with him (except without hitting him). It was the same whining, sighing with exasperation, and refusing to really communicate type of arguing she did with Gary. I want Amber to get out of that relationship and I think Matt is bad news, but I even felt a slight pang of sympathy for him when she was arguing like old Amber in the car. I hate that I felt even a smidgen of sorrow for that creep. Run Amber! Run Matt!

- Amber, I also have anxiety and social anxiety. Sometimes I don't wanna be out in public either and I imagine it would be worse if I was in her shoes (and followed by a film crew). Girl, let me let you in on a secret- take out or room service. (And if you're already at the restaurant just ask the servers to bring the check and wrap up your leftovers and go home/back to your hotel room.) Part of coping with anxiety is coming up with strategies to deal with and/or avoid situations - strategies that don't only include drinking when you're in recovery or focusing all your negative emotions on your partner. (Not to mention that being in a reality show is probably the type of anxiety-inducing situation you should avoid.)

Edited by MyPeopleAreNordic
  • Love 7

Also:

- Matt is all kinds of creepy and has some anger issues, but Amber was full-on old Amber with how she was arguing with him (except without hitting him). It was the same whining, sighing with exasperation, and refusing to really communicate type of arguing she did with Gary. I want Amber to get out of that relationship and I think Matt is bad news, but I even felt a slight pang of sympathy for him when she was arguing like old Amber in the car. I hate that I felt even a smidgen of sorrow for that creep. Run Amber! Run Matt!

As long as she doesn't jump right into another sketchy relationship just to prove that she can find someone. Where does she draw the line? The now-disgraced Josh Duggar?

I just caught up with this episode last night and I have to say that I didn't get the same impression of Tyler that so many have expressed here.  My take is that he sees Cate complaining about her weight but not doing anything about it.  He's trying his best to encourage, but the more he does, the more Cate resists.  I got that he was really trying to be helpful, giving her suggestions about working out, watching baby while she goes to the gym, ordering healthy foods (McDonald's actually does have grilled chicken items).  Now, granted, he could set a better example himself which would help a lot.  He could bring only healthy food into the house, which would mean changing his own eating habits.  It's not going to be easy because we've seen their dismal eating habits over the years (PLEASE get rid of the soda, diet or otherwise!).  Cate needs to find a way to self-motivate because anything Tyler says will be interpreted as nagging.  I think that's why Tyler suggested she try on her wedding dress, hoping that it would jump start her own motivation to take action. 

Tyler is damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.  If he tries to encourage her, it's seen as badgering.  If he says nothing, then he has to listen to her complain about her weight. 

For a while there, it seemed to be popular for the Teen Moms to claim to be bipolar.  Maybe that's Amber's issue.  Something definitely set them both off in Vegas.  I'm glad it's being brought out before they marry and procreate. 

I would love to know what's really going on with Farrah and her mom.  The way her mom acts on the show definitely does not warrant Farrah's attitude toward her.  There's got to be so much more to this relationship than we are shown.  Or maybe, Farrah is just batshit nuts. 

In the dinner scene with Maci, Taylor, Ryan and girlfriend, Ryan looked either high or retarded (or both).  It's truly amazing that Maci, Bentley and baby were all uninjured in that crash. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I just caught up with this episode last night and I have to say that I didn't get the same impression of Tyler that so many have expressed here. My take is that he sees Cate complaining about her weight but not doing anything about it. He's trying his best to encourage, but the more he does, the more Cate resists. I got that he was really trying to be helpful, giving her suggestions about working out, watching baby while she goes to the gym, ordering healthy foods (McDonald's actually does have grilled chicken items). Now, granted, he could set a better example himself which would help a lot. He could bring only healthy food into the house, which would mean changing his own eating habits. It's not going to be easy because we've seen their dismal eating habits over the years (PLEASE get rid of the soda, diet or otherwise!). Cate needs to find a way to self-motivate because anything Tyler says will be interpreted as nagging. I think that's why Tyler suggested she try on her wedding dress, hoping that it would jump start her own motivation to take action.

Tyler is damned if he does, damned if he doesn't. If he tries to encourage her, it's seen as badgering. If he says nothing, then he has to listen to her complain about her weight.

I mostly agree with this BUT, ever since Tyler snapped on that dog and has stood back with authoritative commentary concerning two babies he created-in probably 2 minutes-I'm not a fan. He sits back and tells the camera "this is parenting!" While Cate is doing all the work. Even when she came back from the dress fitting, she said her boobs were hurting. He said, "she hasn't eaten this whole time?" No you fucking moron. Her mother purposefully decided to not feed her just so she can be painfully engorged. Asshole. She was trying on dresses, like you asked, so the baby got a bottle. I can't imagine what type of cramming it would be to try and fit a suckling baby into a wedding dress. (This asswipe really gets on my nerves, can you tell?)

Just because a you manufacture a football, it does not give you the right to claim a touchdown. It doesn't matter if you keep it for yourself or hand it off to another team. Blunt, yes. But seriously. He's not the only male in the world to make a baby. He's well-meaning and sometimes even right BUT it's his douche-tacular ways that ruin his whole point. Take a couple steps back down to earth, PeeWee. Please.

As for Ryan, he is high. He's a stoner. This is why he is always yawning, eyes half open, only excited about food, and has to "go down the road" before filming, and needs a phone call to wake up from his nap in time to pickup his child at dropoff. TN laws are pretty strict. If they were a little more lenient, I'm pretty sure this would have been brought up by now. Or maybe it was agreed upon to not talk about. Either one.

Edited by MissMel
  • Love 5

It would be one thing if it was JUST Tyler with the nagging, "When are you going to call the gym? When are you going to start your diet?" type of stuff. Then I might believe that he's stuck in a rough position because he has to listen to Catelynn complain all the time without action. However, he is also always dropping in these passive aggressive remarks about how she USED to look. That's what drives me crazy. Not many people are able to retain their high school bodies forever, especially after having children. More than anything, Tyler should want her to be healthy, and not so focused on on regaining her past body. 

• Love 4

I mostly agree with this BUT, ever since Tyler snapped on that dog and has stood back with authoritative commentary concerning two babies he created-in probably 2 minutes-I'm not a fan.

2 minutes huh? You give him more credit than I do.

As for Ryan, he is high. He's a stoner. This is why he is always yawning, eyes half open, only excited about food, and has to "go down the road" before filming, and needs a phone call to wake up from his nap in time to pickup his child at dropoff.

Possibly. Curious that I almost never see Ryan drinking. I don't think they've shown Larry without a beer in his hand this season, but Ryan is always drinking pop.

• Love 1

I mostly agree with this BUT, ever since Tyler snapped on that dog and has stood back with authoritative commentary concerning two babies he created-in probably 2 minutes-I'm not a fan. He sits back and tells the camera "this is parenting!" While Cate is doing all the work. Even when she came back from the dress fitting, she said her boobs were hurting. He said, "she hasn't eaten this whole time?" No you fucking moron. Her mother purposefully decided to not feed her just so she can be painfully engorged. Asshole. She was trying on dresses, like you asked, so the baby got a bottle. I can't imagine what type of cramming it would be to try and fit a suckling baby into a wedding dress. (This asswipe really gets on my nerves, can you tell?)

Just because a you manufacture a football, it does not give you the right to claim a touchdown. It doesn't matter if you keep it for yourself or hand it off to another team. Blunt, yes. But seriously. He's not the only male in the world to make a baby. He's well-meaning and sometimes even right BUT it's his douche-tacular ways that ruin his whole point. Take a couple steps back down to earth, PeeWee. Please.

As for Ryan, he is high. He's a stoner. This is why he is always yawning, eyes half open, only excited about food, and has to "go down the road" before filming, and needs a phone call to wake up from his nap in time to pickup his child at dropoff. TN laws are pretty strict. If they were a little more lenient, I'm pretty sure this would have been brought up by now. Or maybe it was agreed upon to not talk about. Either one.

Lol @ 2 minutes!

They seem like they have a platonic, roommate-style relationship. I bet they are hardly ever intimate.

• Love 2

Lol @ 2 minutes!

They seem like they have a platonic, roommate-style relationship. I bet they are hardly ever intimate.

That's why I was baffled when they announced her pregnancy. These two have the least amount of chemistry of any of the couples. Even fat ass Gary is getting it in, but Tyler? I'm thinking he was sleeping on his back and Catelynn pounced.

• Love 4

I was trying to be nice! ;)

Oh dear god, please, fix it Jesus. I'm still recovering from the ideas we had as to Gary procreating again. Now it's Ty's turn?

Pass the Pepto and excuse me while I go pop the corn...

• Love 1

Tyler is damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.  If he tries to encourage her, it's seen as badgering.  If he says nothing, then he has to listen to her complain about her weight. 

Some posters have actually mentioned how it is both of them who are failing. Cate complains about her weight and Tyler has a passive-aggressive way with how he brings up the topic to Cate.  Many of us have pointed out throughout the season that Tyler is not the best communicator when bringing up Cate's weight. I get what he wants to say, but the way he says it comes off so damn negative. He seems so self-righteous as if he is the authority figure on what Cate needs to do. It definitely comes off so controlling. With all of Tyler's talk, he continues to bring pizza into the house. What message does that send to Cate? Not to mention he brings up her weight issues while Cate's dad and his girlfriend are at the table eating dinner. WTH?

I know with the fourth wall being broken there is a chance the producers prod Tyler to bring up the topic, but we have also watched Tyler walk away when he didn't want to talk about something. Wasn't it in the Teen Mom special they had last year?

• Love 1

Yes, that is the scene. Hmmm, interesting that it was a discussion about the wedding that caused him to shut down and walk away. Very reminiscent of his behavior on Couples Therapy.

Wedding - no talk, walk away

Cate's weight - keep talking and talking and talking

• Love 4

This. I think because when they talk about the wedding and why it didn't happen or in the past when it wasn't happening, it was always because Tyler didn't want it to happen a certain way so he was the one who was the sole focus during these moments and during these moments, he would be uncomfortable and he didn't like that, so he would walk away. However, Catelynns weight is not a problem because of him and it doesn't make him uncomfortable. So, talk, talk,talk.  

Right. Major deflecting there by Tyler.

So Matt punched a hole in the wall of hotel in Vegas? Damn, dude, that wasn't even your wall (or your girlfriend-who-you're-mooching-off-of's wall). My guess is they had to call and tell Heather about it because MTV was gonna get the bill for the room and get charged for the damage he did.

OMG, thank you! For the life of me, I couldn't figure out why Amber had to call (or would want to call) the film crew to come over there. It made no sense.

• Love 3

I would love to know what's really going on with Farrah and her mom.  The way her mom acts on the show definitely does not warrant Farrah's attitude toward her.  There's got to be so much more to this relationship than we are shown.  Or maybe, Farrah is just batshit nuts. 

I think there is something awful buried beneath the surface in that family. On Couples Therapy, there was a therapy session that we did not see, but from which that Dr. emerged in tears, saying in all her years of therapy that was one of the worst stories she'd heard. But I've never seen any details, and it's hard to believe it hasn't leaked or become part of Farrah's story somewhere along the line. 

Re Tyler - I'm no fan whatsoever (and I cannot say that emphatically enough) but I saw him more fumbly than sinister about Cate's weight. Not that I don't think he has a major issue with it, but since Nova arrived it looks to me like he's trying to be a little sensitive. A little, and he deserves no medals for that - it's basic kindness that any new mother should be able to rely on. Poor Cate -- and yes, shame on that woman at dinner who said 1200 calories -- way, way too little for a nursing mom. God, these people. 

• Love 1

Absolutely, positively nothing happened during this season of the show. And here we are approaching the finale. It is really time to put these people out to pasture because there is just nothing there. Was this a short season or was it just that bad? I can't remember how many episodes there were this time around but it feels like the show started three weeks ago.

• Love 4
(edited)

configdotsys, I was thinking the same thing! What was the story arc? What actually happened?

Catelynn wrote some point values on food in the fridge?

After that, I've got nothing.

Edited by Brooklynista
  • Love 3

I think there is something awful buried beneath the surface in that family. On Couples Therapy, there was a therapy session that we did not see, but from which that Dr. emerged in tears, saying in all her years of therapy that was one of the worst stories she'd heard. But I've never seen any details, and it's hard to believe it hasn't leaked or become part of Farrah's story somewhere along the line. 

I think it was that Farrah realized Vivid was going to make a second film from the unaired parts filmed for the first tape and her contract didn't pay her anything for it. They are both fame whores. :)

Seriously though, she was later claiming being drugged and raped at the launch parties on a regular basis, and that no one was protecting her. The owner of Vivid said he it was a lie, and he would pay her $1 million if she passed a polygraph. She has yet to take one.

• Love 3