Type keyword(s) to search

Supergirl Scheduling and Ratings: Circulation Audits

• Start Topic

It's also interesting that having Supergirl as a lead-in didn't seem to help JtV much. I wonder if on the surface they sound incompatible to viewers.

ETA: Last night was the last time Supergirl had to go up against TBBT. I wonder how weaker competition in the timeslot will affect it moving forward. My hunch is not much, but I'd love to be wrong!

Edited by stealinghome
1 hour ago, stealinghome said:

Hm. A 0.9 isn't terrible, but I was hoping that we could stay above a 1 for another week. Maybe in the the finals it will round up.

Same. I was hoping it would stay in the 1.0-1.2 range for the first several episodes of the season. 

If they are going to START at a .9-1.0 range, then we might in for some real lows come springtime (when ratings naturally drop)

14 minutes ago, Kromm said:

Geez. How do you bleed half a million viewers in the middle of what was essentially a two-parter with Superman?

Gotham beating it handily is not so neat either. 

I wonder if MNF having a New York team hurt it ( last week was Carolina vs Tampa Bay).

What I find absolutely remarking is Supernatural, IN IT'S 12TH SEASON, pulled a 0.8 for it's premiere. It was CW's #3 show! 

That's only a tenth lower than Supergirl's recent episode. 

The longevity of that show is just astounding to me. It may run for 20 seasons! LOL

14 hours ago, MarkHB said:

I wonder if MNF having a New York team hurt it ( last week was Carolina vs Tampa Bay).

Nope, it was the lowest rated game of the season.

Supergirl did have to go against ALCS game 4, and a Monday Night Raw that saw a massive increase in viewers from previous weeks.  So both of those played a part in putting a dent into the ratings.

Sadly I'm not surprised it adjusted down: last week's 0.9 was a rather weak 0.9 and you knew there would be a post-Superman slump. I just hope 0.8 is where the show settles. 

From the half-hours I've found, it looks like the show actually grew from 8 to 8:30, which is a good sign--though I suppose that might be different in the finals because of preemptions.

Looks like Halloween hit the show hard last night. Scored a .6 in the demo. (I realize using Halloween as an excuse is "fan excuse bingo" lol)

The show is fine. But a 1.1 to a .6 after four episodes?? I hope it rises back up to .8 next week. 

• Love 2

Next week should be a good indicator for what is going on with the ratings, if it doesn't bounce back up to above a 0.6 and certainly if it drops more, then that is definitely cause for concern

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Kendra said:

Next week should be a good indicator for what is going on with the ratings, if it doesn't bounce back up to above a 0.6 and certainly if it drops more, then that is definitely cause for concern

Don't know how much of a difference it would make for Supergirl ratings but there was a Monday night football game that was broadcast in the Chicago and Twin Cities area and typically, the football games just suck the ratings away from other programming in those markets.  They willingly preempted CBS's prime time line up for the Vikings/Bears game.  

The CW affiliate is running the Giants game locally via ESPN. According to the schedule, the new episode will air on Saturday, November 19. Question: Would the episode be available "On Demand" on cable so that I wouldn't have to wait five days?

1 hour ago, Lantern7 said:

The CW affiliate is running the Giants game locally via ESPN. According to the schedule, the new episode will air on Saturday, November 19. Question: Would the episode be available "On Demand" on cable so that I wouldn't have to wait five days?

It'll probably be streaming on CW Seed or CW's website on Tuesday. (Though those sites are geolocked, and I'm in Canada, so I can't tell you for certain. Gobal's site will have it, so I assume it'll work the same way in the States.)

thefutoncritic has the midseason premiere slated for Monday January 16. I'm not sure how reliable that is--the CW announced return dates for all their shows except SG and JtV today--BUT that premiere date sense to me. The Flash is back January 24, but it is getting through 9 episodes in the fall instead of 8, so it seems logical to me that Supergirl would come back a week earlier to get synced back up.

Edited by stealinghome
13 hours ago, stealinghome said:

thefutoncritic has the midseason premiere slated for Monday January 16. I'm not sure how reliable that is--the CW announced return dates for all their shows except SG and JtV today--BUT that premiere date sense to me. The Flash is back January 24, but it is getting through 9 episodes in the fall instead of 8, so it seems logical to me that Supergirl would come back a week earlier to get synced back up.

Except The Flash and Arrow have 23 episodes to Supergirl's 22.  

Oh, snap. I was going to come in here to tell New Yorkers that the Jets have a game next Monday night, and that Supergirl was probably going to be preempted. The bright side is that the episode was On Demand on Time Warner/Spectrum the day after, and I didn't have to use Seed.

Yeah, I think having the "crossover" episode of Supergirl also be its midseason finale was a bad plan from the start.  It was only compounded by how many storylines they felt they needed to wrap up and how little effort was put into making it a crossover. 

So much word. Honestly, I'm wondering if last night being the finale came as a surprise to the writers. Everything last night was so rushed that I am kind of wondering if they thought they were getting 9-10 episodes before the winter hiatus, and weren't expecting the decision for 8 to be the midseason finale.

I don't think this episode is going to be one that gains the show any new fans, unfortunately--don't think there's much momentum to lose. On the flip side, the Monday finals are out and SG held onto that 1.1, so that's a plus!

• Love 1

The CW has announced that the finale will air May 22. So, I'm guessing that after 2x16-17 air on 3/20 and 3/27, the show will break for most of April, then 2x18 will air on 4/24 and we'll finish with the last 5 episodes airing consecutively. That's what The Flash did last year and they seem to using basically the same schedule this season, so....

Berlanti did note last August that he had finally convinced WB to release some extra funds for the Arrowverse shows based on the post-view revenue. It certainly doesn't show in the sets, but Arrow and Flash finally have extras again this season, Legends of Tomorrow more or less scrambled together a costume budget, and Supergirl has managed to bring in some fairly high profile guest stars. So I'll hope that Berlanti at least is able to negotiate the status quo, even with the numbers falling for all four shows. 

*dusts off thread*

The first night of The CW’s annual superhero show crossover delivered big ratings gains for “Supergirl” and “Arrow.”

Both shows drew season highs in both adults 18-49 (0.9 ratings for both) and total viewers (2.65 million for “Supergirl,” 2.54 million for “Arrow”). Each had been averaging a 0.5 in adults 18-49 for the season, so the crossover provided an 80 percent lift (at least for this week; history suggests the bump is short-lived).

Both shows were down a bit from last year’s crossover (as they are overall). “Supergirl” posted a 1.1 last season for its portion of the event and “Arrow” a 1.3.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/daily-ratings/tv-ratings-monday-nov-27-2017/

They might attempt it again, it depends on what days they decide to air what show. I do hope next year they consider not always making it episode 8 of the season and have it being after winter break. I guess I just hate how it interrupts the flow of the season reaching it's mid season break and story plot advances. Especially since SG's flow of S3 has been on and off with half it's cast being absent on and off for the past 3 episodes. But that wasn't their fault. 

I did hear talk that they originally considered it being after winter break and airing the crossovers in January. I actually think it might be a good idea. Because all the DC shows normally have many filler episodes around episode 10-13 normally. 

• Love 1