Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Therapy Couch

Lisin

The Small Talk topic is for:

• Introductions
  • Off-topic chatter
  • Having virtual tea with forum buddies

This is NOT a topic for actual show discussion. When you want to talk about the show:

1. Figure out the nature of the topic you want to talk about
  2. Look for an existing topic that matches or fits
  3. If there is NOT an existing topic that fits, CREATE ONE!

Examples of topics that populate show forums include (but by no means are limited to):

• Character topics
  • Episode topics
  • Season topics
  • Spoiler topics
  • Speculation topics
  • In the Media topics
  • Favourite X topics
  • ...you get the idea

Happy trails beyond Small Talk!

(edited)

I was out and about this afternoon and drove past a local church where I noticed they had put up one of those letterboard / billboard signs on their front lawn and it read: SATAN NEVER SLEEPS.

I suddenly found myself wondering how Lucifer would react to seeing such a thing, and busted out laughing.

I don't know what he'd say, but I imagine it would be snide and scathing. LOL.

Edited by sinkwriter
  • LOL 1

Saw the promo for Lucifer and have since watched four episodes. Is it bad to be lusting virtually after your ex after he reveals he's the devi? Philosophy case, all input welcome.

I'd say yes, and no, because if he'd an ex you stil want to spend tmne with, that means there was a something there, whether physical, intellectul or emotional, that you didn't get often. So, please share, what would make you go for a guy who's tot not your type? And what would made you stay? For me, that's the easiest: the cuddling factor :)   

I'm wondering if anyone else saw news of the impending TV writers' strike and got a lost and abandoned feeling that we might never see the end of this year of Lucifer, the spring-summer segments

I admit to ordering and having the first year of Lucifer on DVD AND to having places a pre-order for season 2.  

I would rather watch repeats of Lucifer than most of what's on TV this summer (OK, GoT and Turner Classic Movies get attention, but rewatching Lucifer is a heck of a guilty pleasure.

• Love 1
(edited)

Lucifer is not a guilty pleasure for me, it's just a flat-out pleasure.  To me a guilty pleasure is something you like to watch but are kind of ashamed of.  Into the Badlands is a guilty pleasure for me.  It's got okay writing with occasionally good acting, awesome martial arts stuff, a weird setting (post-apocalyptic America where somehow guns aren't a thing) but love the sword-fighting, Emily Beecham as The Widow and think Marton Csokas as Quinn chews scenery like the Tasmanian Devil on PCP, but in a good way.

That all said, I know Into the Badlands won't win any Emmys aside from maybe something for Stunt Coordination.  Lucifer, if they gave it a real chance, could win something.

Edited by johntfs
  • Love 2

Interesting. Ran across a YouTube video of when Lucifer first met Beatrice (Trixie) and Lo and Behold, Douche is NOT Douche. Luci doesn't even call him Douche, he called him some lame derogatory name but it wasn't Douche. Now, I wasn't a fan of Kevin Alejandro is the beginning (True Blood ruined him) , but THIS guy, is defiling the role. I now can't see anyone else playing our favorite Douche besides Kevin.

Did anyone else watch the movie Horns?

It stars Daniel Ratliff (Harry Potter) and the movie is based on a book of the same name.  The horns are revealed to force people around Ig to tell him their darkest secrets and desires  and they do tell him.  

Sounds familiar?  The movie takes it darker.  So what came first: the comic, the book, the idea for Lucifer or we'll never know because no one wants to admit borrowing ideas?

True, but there is a small but clear distinction between what Lucifer can do on the show and what Ig could do in the book and movie versions of Horns.  Lucifer can get people to tell him their greatest desire (or at least their greatest desire at the moment he asks them).  Ig, on the other can get people to tell him (and then act on) their darkest desire.  Taking the pit boss lady from the episode, "Vegas with Some Radish," her greatest desire was to bang the gold pro at one of her tables.  Had Lucifer arrived a few days earlier before the golf pro arrived, her desire would have been something else, perhaps to get a "three-pointer" from the basketball player at a different table (pit boss lady has a healthy, active sex drive and there nothing wrong with that).  Now, if Ig had been there instead, we likely would get different answers from her, given that wanting to have sex with the golf pro isn't really all that dark.  Perhaps her answer to Ig would have been that she wanted to chop her ex-hubby and his slut into little pieces and then feed them to that group of fat fuckers who won't stop hogging the buffet table during her dinner breaks.  That's a pretty dark desire, but likely not an especially strong one compared to Mission: Get That Hole-in-One.

Is it possible that the writers on Lucifer drew some inspiration from the movie or Joe Hill's book?  Sure.  However, inspiration isn't plagiarism and they've put a different enough spin on Lucifer's power to make it different from Ig's ability, especially since Lucifer doesn't make anyone act on their desire since the Devil doesn't make anyone do anything.  With the idea brought to the surface they might choose to act on their greatest desire, but that's on them, not Lucifer.

Edited by johntfs

I admit that I didn't watch the Lucifer repeat last night.  I'm not sure why, I just didn't feel like it. 

Instead I watched a movie we borrowed from our Library (the one with books).  The movie was Maudie, and I had forgotten why I had borrowed it until I read the back of the DVD carrier.  The woman who starred in the Shape of Water as the deaf mute had, several years earlier, starred in Maudie.  Maudie is the close to life story of a woman who lived in Nova Scotia, who never had much of a life and who turned to painting in a primitive style.  She'd never been to an art gallery, she just found some paint, and started decorating her home.  

Maud Lewis, in the Canadian Encyclopedia is an introduction to who she was, where she came from, and her story.

The movie is about as far from Lucifer as it's possible to get, but it may be the most memorable movie I've seen in a long time. 

I'd recommend it for one of the two additional weeks we have to fill before more Lucifer. 

8 hours ago, enoughcats said:

USAToday's list of on the bubble shows, as in bubble to be cancelled, includes Lucifer.  If you so choose, this is your opportunity to keep it by showing them your vote.  When you see the others on the bubble, you might reflect back on Lucifer more kindly, I know I did.

These votes are fun but meaningless.  The nets only care about countable viewers -- the Nielsons and the On Demand viewers.  Everything else is pretty much just noise.

• Love 1
23 hours ago, enoughcats said:

USAToday's list of on the bubble shows, as in bubble to be cancelled, includes Lucifer.  If you so choose, this is your opportunity to keep it by showing them your vote.  When you see the others on the bubble, you might reflect back on Lucifer more kindly, I know I did.

If they do decide to cancel I just want to see a decent resolve to the following:

1. Chloe accepts who Lucifer really is. A mutual decision is made about their relationship.

2. Maze goes back to rule hell or finds her place on earth and is happy with it. 

3. Amadiel gets back his wings and powers. 

4. Linda gets rewarded somehow for having to deal with these angels and demons.

5. They finally show Dad and have Lucifer make peace with Dad. 

• Love 3

There's a phrase we seem to see a lot of "They only had one thing to do, so why didn't they get it right?"

I think this applies to TPTB AND the writers for Lucifer.  After Season Two earned them a renewal, WTF didn't they appreciate that they had " "They only had one thing to do, so why didn't they get it right?"

So they should have sat down and rewatched the first two seasons.  That's not hard to do, in fact, they might have enjoyed it.

They then could have indicated potential character arcs.  Lots of lose ends they could have picked up and run with.  They could have watched what made them smile, and even laugh....even though they'd seen it before.  

THEN, and only then could they have decided who was going to do what in Season 3.  
Adding canned episodes ...didn't  they have some notion, some tiny doubt, a demon sitting on their shoulders that said....Continuity matters, A-holes!  It doesn't have to shriek ' he finished eating the sandwich in the previous episode, but little things.  Like Maze goes out and isn't seen for four episodes, but comes back and is seen from the neck up and talks about the insanity she ran into ......

They downplayed the nightclub, they had their characters do uncharacteristic things without having any reason, they hurt a little girl's feelings and left that unresolved, they sort of overlooked the stud they had in Amenadude, they made Lucifer boring, fer gosh sakes. 

They had one thing to do....to build on the excellent foundation they had..... and it's almost as if the Devil led them down the path of Mediocrity, in his name's sake.  

• Love 1

It's World Series time, not that I've cared about it for ....like....forever.

But I think it was important for Lucifer, because what momentum Lucifer had going into year 3 got shot to hell by the world series interrupting the flow of things. (And Monday night sports on Fox interrupting other Monday nights, as well.)

Life isn't fair.  So TV isn't fair.

But too many shows have had their locations jumped all over the week, and been postponed for sports, etc. events whose times were known well in advance. 

In my more fair world, the interruptibles would be scheduled the same time the same day of the week for the run of the show.

I think that hurt Lucifer last year (and further exacerbated the insertion of the four postponed from Season 2 into the flow of the show.)

Last night's World Series game just reminded me of my personal angst from last fall.

Carry on.

Lucifer has reached the finals of the Primetimers Awards in eight categories. Yay!  Let's see if the Lucifer fanbase here can push the show to victories in several of them.  I'm linking directly to each category voting thread to make it easier for everyone to vote.  Get clicking everyone!

Favorite Genre Show

This Show Used To Suck”: Favourite TV Series Comeback

The Big Chill: Favorite Binge-Watch

Life On The Edge: Biggest Cliffhanger

The Other Guys: Favourite Secondary Character

Big D (or V) Energy: Badassiest Badass

Best CGI

Be Careful What You Wish For: Most Gratuitous Fanservice

• Love 2
(edited)

I didn’t know to put this, so I hope it’s ok here.

Lauren German is what attracted me to this show.  I loved her as Shae in Chicago Fire, didn’t care for the Lori Weston character in Hawaii 5-0, and I’ve only seen a few episodes of Lucifer so far.

But it occurs to me that she’s essentially playing the same character.  There’s no range to her acting ability that I can tell.  I hope Chloe gets more interesting as the show goes on.

Edited by roamyn

I have been re-watching 'Lucifer' from the beginning.  I am in season 3.  I did not know who Tom Welling was the first time I watched season 3.  I found 'Smallville' this year and watched all ten seasons.  During this 'Lucifer' re-watch, I realized there were several nods to Superman that went right over my head, at the time. 

• Love 1

50 minutes ago, Commando Cody said:

I have been re-watching 'Lucifer' from the beginning.  I am in season 3.  I did not know who Tom Welling was the first time I watched season 3.  I found 'Smallville' this year and watched all ten seasons.  During this 'Lucifer' re-watch, I realized there were several nods to Superman that went right over my head, at the time. 

It’s been a long time since I watched S3, so just wondering what the references were?  I seem to recall a reference to Kryptonite that made Pierce give a queasy look for a moment, but I can’t remember the episode or even if that is an accurate memory.

3 hours ago, Commando Cody said:

Nice! I'm in a Lucifer re-watch as well, though I've just started so I'm only on episode 3 of season 1. So, I'm in the early fun stuff.  😊

On a side note, did you enjoy Smallville as a series? I only watched the first 5 seasons, so I'm wondering if it's worth it for me to go back and give the rest a try.

4 hours ago, sinkwriter said:

On a side note, did you enjoy Smallville as a series? I only watched the first 5 seasons, so I'm wondering if it's worth it for me to go back and give the rest a try.

I wouldn't want to say.  I enjoyed the show - in general.  10 seasons is a long series.  Taking a break at season five was probably a good idea.  You might enjoy the final five seasons.  

On 7/7/2017 at 10:58 AM, Jacks-Son said:

Interesting. Ran across a YouTube video of when Lucifer first met Beatrice (Trixie) and Lo and Behold, Douche is NOT Douche. Luci doesn't even call him Douche, he called him some lame derogatory name but it wasn't Douche. Now, I wasn't a fan of Kevin Alejandro is the beginning (True Blood ruined him) , but THIS guy, is defiling the role. I now can't see anyone else playing our favorite Douche besides Kevin.

Hey isn't that Dr Melendez from the Good Doctor? I like the actor but yeah, Kevin Alejandro is just perfect for the role. This one is just too "clean" (it may also be the suit).

• Love 1
On 3/1/2020 at 10:19 AM, roamyn said:

I didn’t know to put this, so I hope it’s ok here.

Lauren German is what attracted me to this show.  I loved her as Shae in Chicago Fire, didn’t care for the Lori Weston character in Hawaii 5-0, and I’ve only seen a few episodes of Lucifer so far.

But it occurs to me that she’s essentially playing the same character.  There’s no range to her acting ability that I can tell.  I hope Chloe gets more interesting as the show goes on.

She was so much better in S6, wasn't she!