Type keyword(s) to search

Grey's Anatomy in the Media: Incident Reporting

• Start Topic

Grey's Anatomy Finale Preview: Owen and Nathan Call a Truce

“He’s not Owen’s best man,” he adds, “like he should have been” — and would have been before his unfaithfulness indirectly led to the death of Hunt’s sister, Megan. “But he does get an invitation from Owen, so that’s kind of a big step for him.”

I really hope they drop that Nathan is indirectly responsible for Megan's death. Its like saying Meredith is indirectly responsible for Derek's death because had she not backed out of moving to DC he never would have been in Seattle. Its stupid, IMO.

• Love 1

Greys send off for Callie's was poorly written especially for a likable character of 10 years and a disingenuous story line leading up to the exit. Can't wait to hear Shonda or SR perspective on Callie's SL this season. I wonder if there's something else to it... No goodbyes to the others...notice SR tweet, a shout out to Ellen and Shonda, what about JCap whom she spent 8 yrs on screen and Justin or Chandra -  10 yrs.... I wish Sara the very best in her future endeavors but I wonder, if theres life after Greys? It always boggles me why some actors would leave a hit show to pursue their careers in other venues. This is nothing against Sara, I think she's multi talented but honestly did Sandra or Patrick land anything successful after leaving GA? I know It happened for George  Clooney when he left ER.  If an actor wants to leave the show its their choice and Shonda's choice to kill the character or give them a shitty exit. Can GA survive another major character leaving the show? Will GA out live ER? 

(edited)

Honestly I think actors get tired of doing the same job for many years just like the rest of us, but unlike us, they have the financial wherewithal to leave without worrying what their next gig will be. I doubt SaRa is anticipating a lucrative new job, maybe going back to the stage and just a guest appearance now and then to keep her hand in the TV game. And enjoying her bags and bags of money!

Edited by BlindMaryIngalls
  • Love 1
On ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 0:10 PM, pennben said:

We’re trying to get the fans used to the idea of Meredith dating first and seeing Meredith in the presence of another man romantically. I think we’ve got to lay that on the fans very gently.

Oh my goodness, yes, I'm incapable of accepting sweet generous Meredith being romantic in the presence of another maaaaan!

Good thing they sang me the lullaby where a self-centered bitter shrew screws someone four times in the backseat of her car instead.

Does Ellen Pompeo ever watch this show?

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, candall said:

Oh my goodness, yes, I'm incapable of accepting sweet generous Meredith being romantic in the presence of another maaaaan!

Good thing they sang me the lullaby where a self-centered bitter shrew screws someone four times in the backseat of her car instead.

Does Ellen Pompeo ever watch this show?

Lol, Ellen said she's retiring after Grey's and giving up acting and why not, she's made a ton from this show being the 2nd highest paid tv actress Good thing, who will ever take her seriously. 

(edited)

Grey's did 2.3 and 8.12 Million viewers. That means it's UP from the finale last year (2.2) which is virtually unheard of these days. It managed to go all season without going below a 2.0 (last season it hit 1.9) It may have been the only drama on broadcast to NOT hit a series low this year, which is incredible. Huge kudos to the cast & crew for working so hard and entertaining so many people this year :) 

Also - it bested Modern Family and was ABCs highest rated series this week! 

Edited by BaseOps
  • Love 4
58 minutes ago, BaseOps said:

Grey's did 2.3 and 8.12 Million viewers. That means it's UP from the finale last year (2.2) which is virtually unheard of these days. It managed to go all season without going below a 2.0 (last season it hit 1.9) It may have been the only drama on broadcast to NOT hit a series low this year, which is incredible. Huge kudos to the cast & crew for working so hard and entertaining so many people this year :) 

Also - it bested Modern Family and was ABCs highest rated series this week! 

And Shonda is probably saying the more unhappy fans the better the ratings. 

Seriously, why do you think this season is doing better than the last? They lost PD in s11 and SA in s12. I doubt the ratings will maintain in s13. I didn't watch s11 and not likely to watch s13. 

The second half of the last season was so horrifyingly awful that most of the viewers who managed to stick through that would stay aboard as long as the show got even marginally better (or rather stopped sucking quite as badly), which is what happened this season. And those who quit watching when PD left were probably countered by those who had stopped watching previously, but tuned in to see what the show would look like without him and then got hooked again. 

Yes like me!! I only tune in when I know there's going to be a story line around Callie and Arizona, I like them together not apart. So I know I won't be tuning into s13 to see Arizona picking up random chicks at a bar (the lesbian version of Mer) or getting involved with someone new on an already oversized cast. The show really needs to trim the fat. 

43 minutes ago, Catznip said:

Seriously, why do you think this season is doing better than the last? They lost PD in s11 and SA in s12. I doubt the ratings will maintain in s13. I didn't watch s11 and not likely to watch s13. 

For one, this season was a lot lighter and more fun. People continue to catch up on Netflix and fall in love with the characters. I don't think Shonda is trying to make fans unhappy, that's silly. PD + SR exiting is out of her control. April / Jackson got a happy ending this season, as did Owen / Amelia, Ben / Bailey. There has to be drama... this is a soap. I've never watched for only one character, nor do I take the show too seriously, so I guess that's why I've enjoyed this season a lot. I've liked seeing Meredith navigate her life post-McDreamy and I'm ever more looking forward to a possible relationship with Riggs next year. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Catznip said:

Lol, Ellen said she's retiring after Grey's and giving up acting and why not, she's made a ton from this show being the 2nd highest paid tv actress Good thing, who will ever take her seriously. 

Smart.  Tough for primary characters to eclipse established identities.

Especially when they decide the trick is to be so oppo.  I tried to give pixie-esque little Chyler Leigh a chance in her role as a badass cop, kickin' ass and takin' names, but I had to take a hard pass on ex-CIA Heigl's "political thriller."  (I heard it was a fairly intelligent show, but I just could not.)

I guess when Patrick Dempsey is ready to re-apply his mousse, I'm available to be twinkled at.

• Love 2

BaseOps, you'd have to admit that Shonda knew  killing Derrick off would piss off a lot of fans. Now I'm reading about bringing him back from the dead. Geez, only on a soap!  

I agree she can't control when stars want to leave, that's why they have contracts. Did Sandra get a fair send off? 

I'll admit, I'm watching and enjoying the earlier seasons.  I really like Mer and Christina sisterhood relationship but since Chris is no longer on the show, I can't get with the Mer/Maggie/Amy SL, it just doesn't do it for me.

i really don't watch a lot of broadcast TV, other than HTGAWM ( because I love Viola), the Good Wife and occasionally Empire, most of what I watch is on cable tv and Netflix series  

3 minutes ago, Catznip said:

BaseOps, you'd have to admit that Shonda knew  killing Derrick off would piss off a lot of fans. Now I'm reading about bringing him back from the dead. Geez, only on a soap!  

I agree she can't control when stars want to leave, that's why they have contracts. Did Sandra get a fair send off? 

I'll admit, I'm watching and enjoying the earlier seasons.  I really like Mer and Christina sisterhood relationship but since Chris is no longer on the show, I can't get with the Mer/Maggie/Amy SL, it just doesn't do it for me.

i really don't watch a lot of broadcast TV, other than HTGAWM ( because I love Viola), the Good Wife and occasionally Empire, most of what I watch is on cable tv and Netflix series  

Of course she knew fans would be upset, but it was a better option than having him leave Meredith or just continue working away off-screen. They needed to finish their story with a way for Meredith's story to continue on. 

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, candall said:

I had to take a hard pass on ex-CIA Heigl's "political thriller."  (I heard it was a fairly intelligent show, but I just could not.)

Actually I liked KH political thriller, kinda the Homeland theme, but it was cancelled after 1 season. Don't know why Eric Dane didn't take off, always thought he was handsome. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Catznip said:

Greys send off for Callie's was poorly written especially for a likable character of 10 years and a disingenuous story line leading up to the exit. Can't wait to hear Shonda or SR perspective on Callie's SL this season. I wonder if there's something else to it... No goodbyes to the others...notice SR tweet, a shout out to Ellen and Shonda, what about JCap whom she spent 8 yrs on screen and Justin or Chandra -  10 yrs.... I wish Sara the very best in her future endeavors but I wonder, if theres life after Greys? It always boggles me why some actors would leave a hit show to pursue their careers in other venues. This is nothing against Sara, I think she's multi talented but honestly did Sandra or Patrick land anything successful after leaving GA? I know It happened for George  Clooney when he left ER.  If an actor wants to leave the show its their choice and Shonda's choice to kill the character or give them a shitty exit. Can GA survive another major character leaving the show? Will GA out live ER? 

The funny thing Patrick said during season 10 on Ellen said he was going to stay with Grey's because everyone else who had left didn't have major success.

• Love 1

Grey's Anatomy: Ellen Pompeo reflects on season 12

I don't really want to drag up the PD controversy again, but EP's comments in this article are pretty strange, talking about how it wasn't Shonda's fault implying that he was the one who wanted to leave.  

Over 100,000 fans signed a petition calling for Grey’s Anatomy to bring back Derek (Patrick Dempsey), with many calling for a boycott of the show. Yet here we are at the end of season 12 andGrey’s is ABC’s No. 1 drama. How did the fans being upset about Derek’s death make you feel at the time?
I completely understood their anger, angst, and pain. Nobody wanted to lose Patrick — everybody knew how valuable he was to the show. It wasn’t a choice that we had. We both signed a two-year contract to renew, so it was a situation that came up very abruptly and nobody expected it to happen....

...so I was just disappointed in the hate that Shonda got. I felt pretty protective of her in that moment and I was pretty disappointed that she got the blame for something that really wasn’t her fault at all.

She also talks about the Mer/Riggs/Maggie triangle.  Hopefullyl SR listens to her!

In the penultimate episode, Meredith hooked up with Riggs, whom we then learn in the finale her sister Maggie has a crush on, which puts Mer into a love triangle going into season 13.
I am excited to play it. He’s safe for Meredith because nobody likes him and she knew she couldn’t be in a relationship with him. That triangle will be fun. I just hope it’s written differently. I would assume that it’s going to be written differently. I just don’t want to play the same thing that I played in the last love triangle. 10 years have passed, so hopefully Meredith responds to this differently than she did 10 years ago.

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, BaseOps said:

Of course she knew fans would be upset, but it was a better option than having him leave Meredith or just continue working away off-screen. They needed to finish their story with a way for Meredith's story to continue on. 

Yes!, I've heard people say "they didn't need to kill him, they could have just put him in a coma or kept him in DC" but that would have been terrible, Mer would be in limbo and there was no guarantee PD would even have came back for the finale.

And also how would have they kept up Mer having Death on speed dial if Derek was always in DC?, - it was weird enough when Cristina didn't visit after her attack. ;)

• Love 3
(edited)

it was weird enough when Cristina didn't visit after her attack. ;)

I haven't watched this show consistently since season 10, I watched some of season 11. But as a Cristina fan, I'd wish they never mention her name. Seems they just had to drop it with Owen's wedding and for what?  Annoying, and reminds me of why I no longer tune in. I see they are still shitting on Cristina as far as personal matters are concerned. If you're gonna mention my favorite character of all time on this show, then tell me how awesome in love she is in Switzerland. I don't need to hear her name invoked in any way as another annoying ex of hers courtesy of Shonda's story line for ten years that Cristina be matched with a man who wanted children gets married. 

I actually would have preferred she died. Giving her an institute from Burke of all  people while,  that prick tried to talk down to her about how his wife was a surgeon but she wanted to be a mother was a fucked up send off.  That line just showed how underneath it all Shonda had a disdain for Cristina's personal stance on not wanting to have kids. She was full of it.  There was absolutely no need to have him say that and say in that tone. I was done once he said that. I say PD got it good.  But ED got it the best, because he was able to die at SG with his loved ones and colleagues all around loving him. Izzie made off good too, because at least she got a great love and that was Denny. I never bought her and Alex after that no way. She had a great love,  beat cancer, lost George so it made sense for her to leave. But at least she had a great love. George, well, being dragged by a bus seemed personal to me, but they tried to make him a hero when all was said and done. Lexie got screwed the most and IMO it was just so Shonda good give Sandra Oh something for an Emmy reel, because having Lexie eaten by animals was the worst death of any character on this show IMO. 

At any rate, the fact that Cristina lost contact with her for at least a year like everyone else when she went away after Derek died should have been the start of them completely breaking up M/C bond. Instead of reminding Owen of some bullshit love that he supposedly had for my dear Cristina, Meredith should have mentioned months ago that she hasn't heard from Cristina and gets a wrong number when she tries to call/text. But no, Shonda's trying to leave that open just in case...

I for one don't want to see Yang back on this show, because it won't be to tell me that she found a great love who didn't harass her for babies, it will be for Meredith. I'm not interested in that at all.

This show continues to screw every female character that I get attached to out of real love, it's like the writers don't think they are worthy like the other female characters. I tuned back in a bit after  SO left because I liked Stephanie and I wanted to see what they were going to do with Maggie, but I'm glad I let go before I got too invested. Once again, they don't do shit for these two characters, it's a joke. Isn't Maggie Webber's daughter? Have they done much of anything with that relationship? The writing still comes off as if amateurs are writing the show, but you can still tell which love stories and characters they are invested in.

Edited by represent

I see no reason to believe Meredith and Cristina have lost contact. We can safely assume they regularly talk to each other, that Cristina came to Derek's funeral and visited Meredith when she was attacked. Of course, all of those things have to happen off-screen and she can't be talked about all time simply because Sandra Oh left the show and isn't coming back, and there's no point pretending it's not the case. 

• Love 3
(edited)

I see no reason to believe Meredith and Cristina have lost contact.

Seems very believable to me. I always thought that both M/C could remember fondly how close they were but drift apart with their new lives and lose contact. She visited her for what attack? As I said, I don't watch so when was Meredith attacked and SO was there? No, I think you're saying we can assume. OK, I'm going to assume that she didn't visit and I know according to Alex's words that after that funeral they didn't talk, because Alex said that not even Yang had heard from her. My wish is that they'd leave it at that and if not, then don't bring up her name in anything having to do with  her and Hunt. Which apparently, they managed to do in this finale.

I assume she'd show up if they were hours away from pulling the plug on Meredith otherwise, who's got that kind of time to keep showing up for Meredith's latest near death event. I believe she told her not to die before she left, everything else...LOL.

Edited by represent
1 hour ago, represent said:

Seems very believable to me. I always thought that both M/C could remember fondly how close they were but drift apart with their new lives and lose contact. She visited her for what attack? As I said, I don't watch so when was Meredith attacked and SO was there? No, I think you're saying we can assume. OK, I'm going to assume that she didn't visit and I know according to Alex's words that after that funeral they didn't talk, because Alex said that not even Yang had heard from her. My wish is that they'd leave it at that and if not, then don't bring up her name in anything having to do with  her and Hunt. Which apparently, they managed to do in this finale.

I assume she'd show up if they were hours away from pulling the plug on Meredith otherwise, who's got that kind of time to keep showing up for Meredith's latest near death event. I believe she told her not to die before she left, everything else...LOL.

But Cristina WAS at the funeral (they even had a stand-in holding Meredith's hand who they confirmed was supposed to be Cristina) and Alex said they didn't talk after Cristina left. 

(edited)

But Cristina WAS at the funeral (they even had a stand-in holding Meredith's hand who they confirmed was supposed to be Cristina) and Alex said they didn't talk after Cristina left. 

Yeah, I know they hired some brunette, curly headed  stand in. I was talking about after when Meredith went away, no one heard from her including Cristina. All I'm asking for as loyal Cristina fan is that they not mention her when it comes to Hunt. I don't want to know whether or not she knows about his love life when she should be focusing on her own. That's what I care about, that she found a love in which she was enough and he didn't harass her for babies, nor try to change her in the case of Burke. I was annoyed that she even asked Mer to look out for Owen, but whatever. I guess I get that since they parted on a good note so yes, she cared. But that should be the end of it, let it die. Should she be mentioned again it better be about her and how she's doing. That's my only gripe. 

Edited by represent
1 minute ago, represent said:

Yeah, I know they hired some brunette, curly headed  stand in. I was talking about after when Meredith went away, no one heard from her including Cristina. All I'm asking for as loyal Cristina fan is that they not mention her when it comes to Hunt. I don't want to know whether or not she knows about his love life when she should be focusing on her own. That's what I care about, that she found a love in which she was enough and he didn't harass her for babies, nor try to change her in the case of Burke. I was annoyed that she even asked Mer to look out for Owen, but whatever. I guess I get that since they parted on a good note so she yes, she cared. But that should be the end of it, let it die. Should she be mentioned again it better be about her and how she's doing. That's my only gripe. 

I much much prefer Cristina to Owen, in fact I think Owen is just the worst, and I despise when women are expected to have kids when they really don't want but in this case I get why they mentioned Cristina, she IS/or at least was his great big love so - to me it stands to reason they would mention her on his wedding day - I really don't think they meant it in a disrespecting way to Cristina, tbh I think if they had just forgot about Crowen that would have been disrespectful. 

(edited)

I much much prefer Cristina to Owen, in fact I think Owen is just the worst, and I despise when women are expected to have kids when they really don't want but in this case I get why they mentioned Cristina, she IS/or at least was his great big love so - to me it stands to reason they would mention her on his wedding day - I really don't think they meant it in a disrespecting way to Cristina, tbh I think if they had just forgot about Crowenthat would have been disrespectful.

I'm going to stop after this because I think this might be the wrong thread to keep having this discussion. But let me just say, I never had an issue with Hunt/Burke wanted conventional wife in the case of Burke and kids in the case of both men. I just NEVER bought that in the end awesome Cristina couldn't find love with someone who would find her to be enough. No way do I buy that, not when think about Cristina Yang.  Burke and Hunt should have what they want as well, nothing wrong with wanting kids.  My issue is and has ALWAYS been with Shonda. In the end, I think she was full of it where Cristina's personal life was concerned and had an underlining disdain for the kind of woman that Cristina was. Of course she would deny this, but I'm sorry, you set the character up with two supposed loves in the span of ten years who both find her inadequate because she's one not conventional and doesn't want kids. Shonda did this not once but twice to the character I love dearly. Then she rubbed salt in the wound by having Burke of all people give her this institute, but he couldn't just give it to her, he had to note that he found a wife who wanted to be a mother. Are you fucking kidding me? I could not believe Shonda had him say those words and with that, she proved what I always felt underneath. The words she puts on the page speak for her as far as I'm concerned, I don't care what she says otherwise. Cristina could have gotten a great offer without Burke, the foundation knew and admitted that she won, but that they had to pick the second place nominee because SG was tied with the Avery foundation. So her name was out there, I didn't need to see her talked down to by the likes of Burke.

Edited by represent
6 hours ago, Catznip said:

It did slightly better this season than last and I think its attributable to (just my speculation): new fans coming to the show after seeing it on Netflix & some fans who left tuning back in to see Meredith post Derek dying. I know there are parts of the fandom who expected the ratings to plummet when MerDer ended but clearly that did not happen. The most vocal fandoms don't always equate to who is actually watching a show every week. I find the stability impressive, not because of keeping viewers after a cast member departure, but because of how all of broadcast tv seemed to lose viewers from last year (obviously speaking of returning shows). Grey's last night did better than the other 3 8pm dramas combined in the demo. 

• Love 3

6 hours ago, Greysaddict said:

Grey's Anatomy: Ellen Pompeo reflects on season 12

I don't really want to drag up the PD controversy again, but EP's comments in this article are pretty strange, talking about how it wasn't Shonda's fault implying that he was the one who wanted to leave.  

She also talks about the Mer/Riggs/Maggie triangle.  Hopefullyl SR listens to her!

I'm sure he wanted to leave, or he pissed someone off, or Shonda decided to crap all over him like she does most of her male characters. I often wonder if she wanted Derek to cheat with that student and he refused. Maybe Patrick thought he was "the sun" and Shonda needed to prove that no man can be the sun, that ELLEN was the sun. I've watched about two or three episodes this season. Are they still talking about the sun?

6 hours ago, Greysaddict said:

Over 100,000 fans signed a petition calling for Grey’s Anatomy to bring back Derek (Patrick Dempsey), with many calling for a boycott of the show. Yet here we are at the end of season 12 andGrey’s is ABC’s No. 1 drama. How did the fans being upset about Derek’s death make you feel at the time?
I completely understood their anger, angst, and pain. Nobody wanted to lose Patrick — everybody knew how valuable he was to the show. It wasn’t a choice that we had. We both signed a two-year contract to renew, so it was a situation that came up very abruptly and nobody expected it to happen....

...so I was just disappointed in the hate that Shonda got. I felt pretty protective of her in that moment and I was pretty disappointed that she got the blame for something that really wasn’t her fault at all.

Dear lord, Ellen cannot be this clueless. He went from being called a "minor character" (Shonda said this or Ellen, probably Shonda) to being "valuable." Seriously - she can't understand why Shonda pissed people off? Ask any fan of Derek or Patrick why, and you'll get an earful. It was obvious to anyone with a brain that Shonda shit all over the actor in that script. She could have killed him off without using lines like "midlife crisis" or having him killed in a Porsche - the car he actually drove in races. At this point, don't do us any favours, Ellen - really. Just keep talking about how you can get things done without a penis.

• Love 1
38 minutes ago, allthumbs said:

Dear lord, Ellen cannot be this clueless. He went from being called a "minor character" (Shonda said this or Ellen, probably Shonda) to being "valuable." Seriously - she can't understand why Shonda pissed people off? Ask any fan of Derek or Patrick why, and you'll get an earful. It was obvious to anyone with a brain that Shonda shit all over the actor in that script. She could have killed him off without using lines like "midlife crisis" or having him killed in a Porsche - the car he actually drove in races. At this point, don't do us any favours, Ellen - really. Just keep talking about how you can get things done without a penis.

I don't blame EP.  With all the flip-flopping she done on the topic it seems she saying what she's been either told to say or allowed to say.  I never did understand why the called him "minor character" though.  Whether you were a Derek fan or not, calling him a minor character was just silly.  Do you remember where that was said?  I'm not questioning you because I remember it too but I am curious to read it in context again.  

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, choclatechip45 said:

I know people who started watching Grey's because of Derek dying. They wanted to know what the fuss was all about so they started watching netflix caught up and watch live now. 

Yeah, I can totally see that. It generated a lot of buzz for the show, much more than it had had in years.

24 minutes ago, Greysaddict said:

I don't blame EP.  With all the flip-flopping she done on the topic it seems she saying what she's been either told to say or allowed to say.  I never did understand why the called him "minor character" though.  Whether you were a Derek fan or not, calling him a minor character was just silly.  Do you remember where that was said?  I'm not questioning you because I remember it too but I am curious to read it in context again.  

I honestly don't. I don't follow Shonda on Twitter, but a quick twitter search revealed that you and I are not the only ones who read it, so she said it at some point, maybe September or October of last year. Of course I thought Shonda claimed she didn't even know people were upset. Oh, what a tangled web we weave....  :)

Dear lord, Ellen cannot be this clueless. He went from being called a "minor character" (Shonda said this or Ellen, probably Shonda) to being "valuable." Seriously - she can't understand why Shonda pissed people off?

I don't think she is clueless. She said she understood the anger, angst and pain. I took it as she was upset by the level of hate directed at Shonda (IIRC, she's spoken of it in other interviews). There's being pissed off and sending a "you suck" tweet because you think that Shonda did a crappy job writing off a fictional character. Then there's sending death threats because she did a crappy job writing off a fictional character.  Its my impression that there was nothing Ellen could have said that would have made some people happy. Some wouldn't be satisfied unless she quit the show and collapsed in heap crying because PD chose to leave.

• Love 6

Remember when Thursday at 8 on ABC was a graveyard?

I think that her other shows are hot garbage but the Grey's juggernaut is all the proof you need for why Shonda Rhimes has become to ABC what Dick Wolf is to NBC.

• Love 1
(edited)

102jyb4.jpg

It's ridiculous for people to be so upset with Ellen and Shonda... over what? Things get taken out of context all the time. Let's not forget that we're all here on a message board discussing a show that Ellen has worked hard to deliver to us for 12 years now. And a show that Shonda created. I think a little bit of respect is warranted for both of them. People are so full of faux outrage. Seems to me like they're taking a dislike for Meredith / the stories out on the actress and Shonda. Neither of them has had anything but kind things to say about Dempsey. Shonda at one point said something to the effect of 'he didn't have much to do' in the later seasons, which was true. I believe it was born out of frustration at how insane cruel people were being. He was a major part of the shows success, no one denied that, but he hadn't been driving the story for years. Both Shonda and Ellen have gone on and on praising Dempsey and his contributions to the show since his exit.

Like @windsprints said, it seems like some fans wouldn't be happy until Ellen quit or essentially called Shonda a demon for her decision. It's ridiculous. The conspiracy theories people come up with regarding Shonda and how she treats cast / characters is verging on lunatic, and it's disheartening. By all accounts, Grey's is one of the happiest sets on TV. The cast all seem to love their job and love going to work for Shonda. 

Edited by BaseOps
  • Love 4

I was looking at SpottedRatings, and Grey's S12 is basically where ER S12 was on a relative basis, 52% above the network TV average.

However, ER was in the midst of a 4-year steep decline following the end of Friends; 2 years before, it was 150% above the network TV average, and 2 years later, it was only 4% above the network TV average.

While Grey's in stark contrast is pretty much rock-steady in keeping up with network TV's declines. So it could totally go past ER's 15 seasons in terms of viability. An interesting question would be what would happen if Ellen Pompeo finally left - whether the show would end at that point, or if not whether the show would finally show big falls like a normal show.

5 minutes ago, jjjmoss said:

I was looking at SpottedRatings, and Grey's S12 is basically where ER S12 was on a relative basis, 52% above the network TV average.

However, ER was in the midst of a 4-year steep decline following the end of Friends; 2 years before, it was 150% above the network TV average, and 2 years later, it was only 4% above the network TV average.

While Grey's in stark contrast is pretty much rock-steady in keeping up with network TV's declines. So it could totally go past ER's 15 seasons in terms of viability. An interesting question would be what would happen if Ellen Pompeo finally left - whether the show would end at that point, or if not whether the show would finally show big falls like a normal show.

I think Shonda has said that when it ends, it will be because her and Ellen mutually decide to end it. There's no Grey's Anatomy without Meredith Grey - if she had left back in S6 or even S8, maybe... but not now. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Just because you or someone else doesn't agree with people's reaction or my opinion doesn't make it ridiculous. Using the word "insane" when referring to others and their reactions is frankly uncalled for.

Edited by allthumbs
  • Love 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, allthumbs said:

Just because you or someone else doesn't agree with people's reaction or my opinion doesn't make it ridiculous. Using the word "insane" when referring to others and their reactions is frankly uncalled for.

I was generalizing about the reactions - mostly on Twitter - than Ellen and Shonda received after Dempsey was killed off. If I was speaking directly to you I would have quoted you. I believe a great deal of the reaction they received was indeed insane, as is a lot of what "fans" put out on Twitter when they're unhappy. Sending death threats because you're unhappy that a character was killed off is outrageous. I didn't mean to single you out because of your stance in this thread. Apologies if you felt offended. 

Edited by BaseOps

Seems to me like they're taking a dislike for Meredith / the stories out on the actress and Shonda.

I completely disagree with this. The twitter names (contained some form of "Mer" and "MerDer") strongly indicated that the majority of complaints were coming from MerDer/Meredith fans.

I've always been a fan of PD and will watch his future projects but I'm so over every interview constantly bringing his departure up. Initially it was relevant but now its been over a year, PD and the show have moved on. I wish the media would as well. IMO, its to the point where its unfair to the actors on the show. They should be being asked about their storylines and characters and not about an actor and character that chose to leave the show over a season ago (same goes for PD as well. He shouldn't be constantly asked about leaving GA either). The media didn't ask about Sandra Oh a year later.

• Love 1
(edited)
42 minutes ago, windsprints said:

I completely disagree with this. The twitter names (contained some form of "Mer" and "MerDer") strongly indicated that the majority of complaints were coming from MerDer/Meredith fans.

I've always been a fan of PD and will watch his future projects but I'm so over every interview constantly bringing his departure up. Initially it was relevant but now its been over a year, PD and the show have moved on. I wish the media would as well. IMO, its to the point where its unfair to the actors on the show. They should be being asked about their storylines and characters and not about an actor and character that chose to leave the show over a season ago (same goes for PD as well. He shouldn't be constantly asked about leaving GA either). The media didn't ask about Sandra Oh a year later.

That's why I said Meredith / the stories (i.e. the fact that Derek was killed and that she is moving on.) Certainly many of those complaining were Meredith/Derek fans, no doubt, but there's an equal amount of people out there who dislike the Meredith character and tweet equally vile things. Sadly people do the same to many other actors on the show, too. What I mean is that people are misdirecting their anger at the storylines and characters and focusing it on the actors and Shonda, which is wrong. I agree 100% that it's time for the media to move on and let them all stop talking about the Dempsey thing. I do get it - this entire season was bound to be the 'post-McDreamy' season. I think what you pointed out was exactly what frustrated Ellen and Shonda... when Sandra left, there wasn't a similar out-cry of 'the show must end now!' People acted like without Dempsey, Grey's was dead. I hope that by the time press for S13 starts they've moved on. 

Edited by BaseOps
  • Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, BaseOps said:

I agree 100% that it's time for the media to move on and let them all stop talking about the Dempsey thing. I do get it - this entire season was bound to be the 'post-McDreamy' season. I think what you pointed out was exactly what frustrated Ellen and Shonda... when Sandra left, there wasn't a similar out-cry of 'the show must end now!' People acted like without Dempsey, Grey's was dead. I hope that by the time press for S13 starts they've moved on. 

I agree with both of you folks that it is time for it to end, but as you noted this had to be a transition season within Meredith's story....how she moves on, the first date, etc., etc.  Also, it was a huge story vis-a-vis the show itself....what was going to happen this season, would the ratings drop, etc.  That they came out the other end with stable ratings and having creatively one of the best seasons in a bit, there is a story-hook there for tv reviewers/critics...how does this show survive and thrive for so many years and then, rebounds again after losing the core romance via the exit of a popular co-lead in Dempsey. 

Hopefully that's all done now and Shonda/Ellen and others don't have to keep answering the same things over and over.

Edited by pennben
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, jjjmoss said:

Ellen said she's in it as long as Shonda keeps the Charecter around but do you really think Ellen is the big draw of the show?

Regarding "fan reaction," did anyone see any of those The Internet Ruined My Life shows?

Internet anonymity has somehow licensed and emboldened people to respond at unbelievably horrifying levels--threats of rape, decapitation, killing someone's children--for stuff that is nothing.  As in, totally inconsequential, zero impact. 

If scads of people can go berserk because some random teenager applies too much makeup in her Before&After picture (to name one example,) I'm sure Shonda gets a fuck-ton of whacko reaction for "killing" a popular television character.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Catznip said:

Ellen said she's in it as long as Shonda keeps the Charecter around but do you really think Ellen is the big draw of the show?

I really don't think she was/is, if she had left a couple of seasons ago I think the show could have continued and have been fine but now I think the show would fold without Ellen. Not because I think Mer is that big a draw as a character but they have recently built her up as THE show.

(edited)
2 hours ago, Catznip said:

do you really think Ellen is the big draw of the show?

I feel like that is a loaded question that is asked time and time and time again when folks leave.  I think the big draw of the show is the show.  Lots of folks said last year that Dempsey was the big draw, but that wasn't true was it? The show has maintained its ratings and this season has been hailed for it's revival creatively.

To me, and this is just me, some of these questions seem to want to diminish Ellen's role in the success of the show. I think Ellen is and has been a big part of the success of this show.  I thought her work this year was fantastic.

Do I think Ellen is A big draw?  Yes.  Do I think she is THE big draw? For years, I would have said no, now...probably no, but maybe? Who knows.  I appreciate her work here and won't agree to dismiss her contributions to the show for whatever reason.

Edited by pennben
  • Love 2

Shonda confirms that the season finale wasn't supposed to be SaRa's exit or the end of Calzona. She also confirmed in a Periscope that SaRa is taking "a much needed break". It sounds like SaRa is dealing with some personal stuff so I hope she eventually returns to GA, if not full time at least for an official goodbye.

Grey's Anatomy's' Shonda Rhimes: I Had a “Different Plan” for Callie Before Sara Ramirez's Departure

• Love 1

It does seem like something may have happened. Sara has been with the show for so long it seems odd that she would leave without giving more than 3 days notice to Shonda. I wish her well and hope the break gives her everything she needs.

• Love 2