Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers and Spoiler Speculation: Benchmarking

• Start Topic

I have to wonder if PD did not take anytime off this year if we would still think he was dying

IMO yes, as not many were that worried that he'd be, perhaps, killed off until the last scene of 11x20 and the way that ABC has promoted this particular episode. I think that the time off was more related to the "diva" article (where PD had a time out and I can't stop laughing at how maternal that sounds) but not about his potential death. At least IMO.

ABC tweeted this. The fact that dead George is included doesn't seem to bode well for Derek.

Perhaps Derek is in limbo? It has Cristina and Izzie but Izzie was in limbo for a while. George died until his organs were taken out. So perhaps Derek is not dead dead but kinda dead?

I think it's all a fake ploy by Shonda to mess with us.

We are supposed to think he is dead. Or maybe the audience knows he isn't but he seems dead to the characters.

It feels so General Hospitally

It is odd that there seems to be NOTHING in the media about DS being killed off the show when everything about the show indicates that he will be. It just seems too obvious.

That's the way it works, though. Shonda will have given interviews ahead of the episode airing with the request not to spoil the story (upon pain of never having access again). As long as the "secret" is kept, all of those outlets have juicy clickbait once it airs, so they're not going to cross her.

Although I'd hardly say there have been no "spoilers." Whether they came from Shondaland or not (and I definitely think they've leaked to get people used to the idea), we've been talking about this since that "blind" item weeks ago.

• Love 1

I saw this on Twitter. I guess we have our answer. 

https://instagram.com/p/1098xtGw_8/

wooowwwww, so this is it i guess.  I was prepared for this but wow, I am still shocked.  I know this is an esemble show and I do like the majority of the cast but this show will not be the same without Derek Shepherd.  I want to run home right now and check my mailbox to see if I have this EW issue.  

Me too. I get why he would want to leave but not that SR would make this bold choice. I'm genuinely shocked about this. 

His contract is with ABC though. It would either need to come from them or they would need to agree. There would have to be a reason for them (ABC) to terminate/not pick up option. I can't help feeling there's more to it somehow but we may never know. Just throwing out a guess - maybe ABC didn't want to give him outs for racing anymore and it was no racing or you go? Something like that?

ETA: maybe the full article will have more information. I saw a suggestion on twitter that perhaps he wanted to leave and it was the storyline, not him leaving, that surprised him.

Edited by windsprints
  • Love 3

I'm confused...he decided to leave Grey's, right? But he's shocked that Shonda would kill Derek? Has he...met Shonda?

As for Scandal,

I'm convinced she had Jake miraculously survive to "cheer up" TGIT fans after Derek's demise.

• Love 2
(edited)

I'm shocked and appalled. I can't believe it. 10 years down the drain, to be honest. I hate them for doing this.

The thing that keeps hitting me over and over again is that Zola, Bailey and baby # 3 are gonna grow up without a father :(

ETA: Patrick didn't choose to leave. That's why the article says no one was more surprised than him.

Edited by stopthestatic
  • Love 3

The thing that keeps hitting me over and over again is that Zola, Bailey and baby # 3 are gonna grow up without a father :(

I am sure Shonda just loves this as Meredith didn't grow up with a father either(actually neither did Derek).  I'm sure she is quealing with glee over the "amazing" storyline.  

UGH, i might settle down after the shock wears off but this is really the worst possible exit for PD.  I feel like the past 10 years have been for nothing (ok maybe thats a little dramatic).  

ETA: I am HUGE Ellen Pompeo fan but I am little taken aback that she called this episode "fantastic".  I honestly don't know if they are told what to say or forced to promote on twitter but still I kind of hate the cast and crew are pimping out this episode hard.  

Edited by Greysaddict
  • Love 2

Sorry if this was mention already but how many more episodes until the finale? Would anything major happen tonight? I'll bet the previews that seem like the whole show will be like only 10% of it and we will be left with another cliffhanger.

Sorry if this was mention already but how many more episodes until the finale? Would anything major happen tonight? I'll bet the previews that seem like the whole show will be like only 10% of it and we will be left with another cliffhanger.

Tonight is episode 21 of 24.

There are 4 more (including tonight).  I don't think we'll be left with a cliffhanger as this EW issue is probably going to hit the stands tomorrow.  I am subcriber and although it releases on friday do often get it a day or two early.  

• Love 1

Creatively (believe me, I use that term loosely where Shonda's concerned), I've always thought Derek would die. I was surprised to hear that both EP and PD were signed to two more years. I could never see Shonda having Meredith share her exit with anyone (except maybe Cristina, with a brief return by SO.) And EP has to leave eventally. So I think that was an easy decision for her.

And I think Shonda "owns" ABC at this point. They have too much invested in her. They have to give her whatever she wants.

Edited by Tuleh2
  • Love 3

I can't help feeling there's more to it somehow but we may never know. Just throwing out a guess - maybe ABC didn't want to give him outs for racing anymore and it was no racing or you go? Something like that?

I'm sure the racing will be blamed for it... that will sell well in Hollywood, and with the fangirls. The only question that won't be answered is whether that was used as an excuse (i.e., they became more restrictive of PD's time off this season) to generate a "cause" for letting PD go.

Both sides (Shonda and PD) are going to want to deflect blame for "killing Merder," never mind that I'm sure Shonda has been itching to do just that.

I can't believe they're killing him off.. I really hoped it would be just rumours. This is a decision I truly believe will blow up in Shondas face.. I guess she probably doesn't care though since the show will finish next season anyway..

• Love 1
Creatively (believe me, I use that term loosely where Shonda's concerned), I've always thought Derek would die.

I agree. Had Derek been developed as a character, it'd made less sense but I also believe that him dying would bring up more of a story than if he was alive. 

I'm sure the racing will be blamed for it

Of course it will. Although it may not be the actual reason (it had to influence, it seems SR is more of finding excuses than actually realizing that her story is the issue) but yes, it will be the reason used from ABC and Shondaland. So low. Not a warning? 

What a shitty year for PD. I do hope that he is back on our screens soon. 

• Love 2

It has to be the racing and his needing time away from filming. It  always comes down to money and the bottom line. It is an ensemble show, it its 11th season and there is probably no justification for ABC to be paying him 300K+ an episode when he wasn't even in half of them. Actors with their own shows and a few supporting cast members don't make that much. 

Plus, it had to cost them extra money to accommodate his filming schedule.

Can you imagine being like a lower cast member, who is making a few thousand an episode being told you have to work around Patrick?  

• Love 1

Wow. Just...wow.

I can't believe they're actually killing him off. The press after tonight's episode is gonna be insane.

I can say for sure that I have no interest in watching Meredith grieve, and I especially have no interest in watching it happen without Cristina. 

And the "I can live without you, I just don't want to" line hits a littler harder now.

• Love 5

Can you imagine being like a lower cast member, who is making a few thousand an episode being told you have to work around Patrick?

I can imagine being a lower cast member and getting a pink slip because the show is tanking in the ratings. There's a reason PD and EP are paid so much, and it's not because they work long hours... it's because they bring eyeballs to the screen.

And they've been accommodating him for years now - it's written into his contract. What changed?

• Love 5

Here's where I think I am with this:

On one hand, in no way do I think the show should've ended just because they were losing a main character. I've fought against that with shows before and I'll fight against it now. I think that's somewhat short-sighted, and fans can be a lot more resilient than they are often given credit for.

On the other hand, I can't get over the fact that this was avoidable. This was not Dan Stevens and a three year contract on Downton Abbey, or the horrific tragedy of Cory Monteith on Glee. This was not the only choice. I understand that life takes turns you don't expect, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, yadda yadda yadda. I also understand that with what Shonda set in motion, storyline-wise, death was the only logical conclusion. But I'm talking about going further back in the story process than that.

Namely, I don't quite understand what would've been so difficult about making Derek into a house husband. Or better yet, letting him stay in D.C. Show how a long-distance relationship can work. Even if Dempsey never had any intention of coming back, it would be a nod to...for lack of a better word, the investment of viewers and fans into this character and this couple. I would've taken "offscreen Derek, 3,000 miles away finding a cure for Alzheimer's while Meredith continues her brilliant surgery career. They meet up on the weekends." Then when Pompeo leaves, nobody's stealing her thunder or her sun or whatever.

But this reduces Derek to one more body on the ever growing Giant Pile O' Grey's Bodies and one more tragedy in Meredith's Giant Pile O' Sadness. It's meaningless and senseless -- and sometimes that can make for good drama, but...where's the opportunity for growth? If anyone knows how to handle tragedy, it's Meredith. It's not like this is going to prove anything we didn't already know about the character.

I understand real life is terrible and sometimes really nice people die and even more often, people are tested, etc. I understand that tragedy sometimes strikes happy couples who have been together for 10 years. But it's also not the only thing that happens. Derek wasn't Charles Percy or the intern who was electrocuted or Lexie or George or even Mark. He had a longer tenure, he meant more to the show and (without having seen the episode, I admit) I just think he deserved better.

I hope Shonda doesn't try to insinuate her hands were tied, because this was most definitely a choice -- and ultimately, I think it was the wrong one.

Edited by Eolivet
  • Love 8

It was also just announced that ABC has pushed the Scandal finale back an hour (the old HTGAWM timeslot) in order to accommodate a 2 hour Grey's season finale.  Grey's is also airing a 2 hour episode next week, April 30th.  

Do they really expect ratings not to drop after this? The originals is all that people are holding onto. People aren't tuning in for Jo and Stephanie or Derek's sister.

I don't know. I thought losing SO would have a bigger impact, but the ratings drop was about the same as past years. It may be the same with PD or it may be the last straw for many viewers.

Bringing on new interns is not a good sign. I think they'll try to revamp and that will kill them as much as anything. Most characters are getting scraps as it is. I was pretty convinced Derek was a goner, so I admit my first reaction was Alex's never getting a story now.

• Love 1

Yes. When I was new, I had to make accomodations like that in my job. PD had the capital to do so. Even so, Derek was so isolated in the SLs that the only person I could see having an issue was Ellen or Caterina. Not sure what that has to do with anything.

Actors with their own shows and a few supporting cast members don't make that much.

Perhaps those actors don't have the same circumstances that PD had. If ABC had an issue with this, they could've denied his requests or his salary negotiations. They didn't and now surprise! This excuse doesn't make much sense to me.

I will wait to read PD's interview to see how it all went down and what were the motives. I sense ABC & SR's comment will be slightly BS (but I'll also hold on judgment until that), to make the full comment but I find the whole thing very fishy. 

• Love 1

It was also just announced that ABC has pushed the Scandal finale back an hour (the old HTGAWM timeslot) in order to accommodate a 2 hour Grey's season finale.  Grey's is also airing a 2 hour episode next week, April 30th.  

Actually I believe the finale is only an hour, as is the May 7th episode. Next week, 11x22, is two hours.

• Love 1

Actually I believe the finale is only an hour, as is the May 7th episode. Next week, 11x22, is two hours.

Yes.

THURSDAY, APRIL 30

8:00-10:01 p.m. – (2 Hours) - “She’s Leaving Home”

THURSDAY, MAY 7

8:00- 9:00 p.m. – “Time Stops”

THURSDAY, MAY 14

8:00- 9:00 p.m. – (Season Finale) – “You’re My Home”

Sorry. I was wrong on the Grey's finale. I read the headline wrong.  It is just 1 hour but the ep for next week is 2 hours, which is the reason for moving Scandal to the next week Sorry. my grief over Derek has already taken over apparently.  

He had a longer tenure, he meant more to the show and (without having seen the episode, I admit) I just think he deserved better.

No matter what happened, I would always expect Shonda to be more interested in what she thinks EP deserves. And now EP gets to play the brave widow, in what I'm sure will be her final season.

Edited by Tuleh2
  • Love 1

I can imagine being a lower cast member and getting a pink slip because the show is tanking in the ratings. There's a reason PD and EP are paid so much, and it's not because they work long hours... it's because they bring eyeballs to the screen.

And they've been accommodating him for years now - it's written into his contract. What changed?

This is the first season he was missing in action for must of it.  Add the real life drama and issues...it wouldn't be the first time that derailed an actor's job, 

I like PD, was a fan of his early movie career, but he isn't the reason I watch Grey's and people say they will lose viewers over this..they might, but losing one character won't kill the show.

Shonda will say it's not Sheperd's Anatomy.

I complain about her, but you have to give her kudos for shaking it up. People will tune in just to see what happens and how he goes out. 

• Love 2
I don't quite understand what would've been so difficult about making Derek into a house husband. Or better yet, letting him stay in D.C. Show how a long-distance relationship can work. Even if Dempsey never had any intention of coming back, it would be a nod to...for lack of a better word, the investment of viewers and fans into this character and this couple. I would've taken "offscreen Derek, 3,000 miles away finding a cure for Alzheimer's while Meredith continues her brilliant surgery career. They meet up on the weekends." Then when Pompeo leaves, nobody's stealing her thunder or her sun or whatever.

That scenario wouldn't leave Ellen material for an Emmy reel. I know most feel Shonda is the devil but I would not be shocked to learn that Shonda discussed with Ellen.

I get people are upset because its always difficult when a favorite character and/or actor leaves a show but no feasible exit Shonda wrote wouldn't have been met with hatred. Derek staying in DC would have been "Derek abandoned Meredith" for certain.

I am neutral and am not automatically siding with anyone. I am fully reserving judgment for after I read both sides of the story. I feel there has to be something else with the story.

That scenario wouldn't leave Ellen material for an Emmy reel. I know most feel Shonda is the devil but I would not be shocked to learn that Shonda discussed with Ellen.

I seriously hope that wasn't the reason, because then Shonda, bless her heart, is just delusional. Grey's hasn't been a blip on the Emmy radar screen in years. She has a better chance striking gold if she drives north and pans for it.

You make good points -- I'm just amused if this is her reasoning. (and I certainly don't think she's the devil for it. I just think she chose poorly.)

• Love 3

This is the first season he was missing in action for must of it.

Derek has been missing in action for years. I can't count the number of episodes where he appeared only in a "Merder bookend" scene.

We don't really know why PD wasn't in several episodes this season (and may never know), but I still feel like Shonda got the season, and the ending she wanted all along: Derek's time away in DC leading directly to a big smoochy reconciliation before he dies.

• Love 6
(edited)

I'm actually surprised at Ellen in all of this though. Here I was thinking she cared about the fans and the writing, but I guess I was wrong about that. I would have expected her to offer an ultimatum to ABC and Shonda in this scenario: "If Patrick leaves, I leave". Actors have done that before when their on-screen significant others are leaving - because they care about their characters and being loyal to the fans.

A few years ago it really felt like PD and EP were in this together. Maybe that was just a pipe dream though.

By the way, I tweeted that out and got a response from someone basically saying "Losing one is better than losing them both. If she did that and Shonda didn't agree the show would end" to which I say: so what? People act like Grey's Anatomy is a new show and hasn't had an incredible decade-long run. I'm frustrated in the fans who want the show to continue because it just gives ABC the fuel to keep going, which means more and more character deaths. And no, losing one isn't better than losing both. Because I've invested a decade of my life and want to see these two characters end up together. 

Shocked that people would rather see McDreamy die and MerDer not end up together than god forbid let the show end. Those are the same people who caught up on Netflix and have only been watching for a couple of years - I can understand why they're fine with the show continuing for another decade, because to them it's still new.

I can't wait to be done with this pile of crap after May 14th. Just a few more weeks.

Edited by stopthestatic
  • Love 3

I don't know. I thought losing SO would have a bigger impact, but the ratings drop was about the same as past years.

The interesting thing is that this year Grey's moved 7:00(central/8:00/east coast), and has given ABC the best ratings in that slot in years. So, I don't think they are disappointed. 

Let's not put up straw man arguments.  Of course this show isn't going to win Emmy's, of course the actors aren't going to either.  They all know that.

I'm actually surprised at Ellen in all of this though. Here I was thinking she cared about the fans and the writing, but I guess I was wrong about that. I would have expected her to offer an ultimatum to ABC and Shonda in this scenario: "If Patrick leaves, I leave".

Folks, take a breath.  Ellen has a job.  She is doing that job well.  She's not going to give up her job to make fans' dreams come true about fictional characters.

I'm breathing, I'm breathing.

We can do this!

• Love 3

A few years ago it really felt like PD and EP were in this together. Maybe that was just a pipe dream though.

I think their closeness was an act (it was smart of them both to act that way; it fed the Merder dream). But they have nothing in common as people. EP has always struck me as 1) very assertive, and 2) keen to be recognized as THE LEAD of the show. (I remember years ago, she was said to be very pissed off because ABC/Shonda hadn't told her in advance that KW had been offered her own spinoff).

• Love 2

People who are watching the episode in Canada are tweeting spoilers. 

Big spoilers:

Apparently everything turns out fine with the accident in the promo but a truck hits Derek's car after the fact.

I'll be watching in 30 minutes on CTV.

So I don't know who to put the blame on but here are some interesting facts. We can all agree this season shifted after the hiatus right? So startinf with 11x09. Well they started filming 11x9 on October 22nd. Patrick commited to the WEC season on nov 20th. Looking at the WEC schedule there is no way he could have been on the show and done all those races. I'd say he must have known back in the fall he was leaving the show (maybe not knowing his character) would die. This makes total sense given what he said in November as well.

What we don't know is if he asked Shonda for the time off to do all those races and she said no. Or if he committed to them after knowing he was done with Greys. after this season.

Anyway know that we know he is done for sure, I can definitely see why the show took a sudden turn after the hiatus. I bet Shonda pushed a bunch of storylines to resolve merder, make them happy and them kill Derek off.

Edited by Greysaddict
  • Love 1

I don't necessarily feel EP/DP's "in it together" attitude was all an act. If nothing else it did help them to negotiate as a block sometimes (like the FRIENDS cast did as they were stronger together) and to ask for certain storylines as a team. But things change. Maybe Ellen isn't ready to move on and wants the steady pay check for a couple more years, maybe there's a lot more going on under the surface that means its nothing to do with how she acts anyway. And then they've got their own families and lives which means that they can't always put their *fictional* characters first, even if they might have preferred different ending. No one is staying on this show for artistic integrity anyway.

It's true that Derek could exist in off screenville as the never seen babysitter, but that's never how this show has done things and Shonda wouldn't be about to loose this opportunity to give Mer a grief stricken storyline before her own exit (which I assume will involve Cris).

Edited by Featherhat
  • Love 1
I seriously hope that wasn't the reason, because then Shonda, bless her heart, is just delusional. Grey's hasn't been a blip on the Emmy radar screen in years. She has a better chance striking gold if she drives north and pans for it.

I meant it would give her dramatic material not that she would win. "Emmy reel" is often used as a description for such.

Let's not put up straw man arguments.  Of course this show isn't going to win Emmy's, of course the actors aren't going to either.

See above. And, let's not tell other people what opinion they can have or post.

I'm frustrated in the fans who want the show to continue because it just gives ABC the fuel to keep going, which means more and more character deaths. And no, losing one isn't better than losing both. Because I've invested a decade of my life and want to see these two characters end up together.

I've watched from the 3rd episode of the first season and I've been frustrated for years by the fans that believe MerDer is the only reason people watch. MerDer fans aren't the only ones who have invested time in the show and MerDer fans aren't the only fans that have characters they root for. But of course here we go with it should be canceled because of MerDer. Guess some MerDer fans believe they are the sun just as Meredith does. If people wish to tune out then do so but really no need to wish hundred of people lose their livelihood and millions lose a show they enjoy. 

• Love 2