Type keyword(s) to search

S31: Voting

• Start Topic

(edited)

I was thinking that if all the Cagayan people make it on (very likely) and 4/5 WA people make it (again, very likely) they would almost be an entire tribe of 10.  They could easily all team up and vote off the one loner.  Obviously, I know TPTB wouldn't group them together that way, but that shows how oversaturated some of these seasons are.  I almost wish they would only pick 18, and do tribes of 3.  I think that would make it a little more strategic when people are that much more mixed up, and not have as many people to hide behind.  Hopefully they've got some twists planned to prevent anything like that.

I've only been listening to the RHAP interviews of people I like.  I did listen to Shirin's, who I'm neutral on, but I couldn't get through the whole thing.  I don't think any of these WA peeps have been out of the game long enough to really grasp what they've done and need to improve, from a game play perspective.  Listening to Max's campaigin video and reading his little blurb on EW, I think he intends on going in and playing the exact same game he planned on playing this time.  Which, for him no one got to see, but he talked about it enough in interviews.  And he's playing with former contestants, so not sure his strategy will work again.  As for Shirin, unless she dials it down, I'm still going with her being a pre-merge boot if she makes it on.  I just don't think anyone will want to put up with the drama and the non-stop chatter.  Listening to that interview makes me remember why I didn't really like her at first and why people probably found her annoying out there in the first place. 

I noticed that Shirin and Max used the same term for people who can't stand Shirin: "wet blankets". So they have discussed it and decided that they are perfect and awesome and the people who can't see the awesome sucks.

To be fair to Shirin, if you didnt listen to the end of Shir's RHAP, you missed the best part - Rodney's impressions.

Edited by wonald
  • Love 2

I noticed that Shirin and Max used the same term for people who can't stand Shirin: "wet blankets". So they have discussed it and decided that they are perfect and awesome and the people who can't see the awesome sucks.

To be fair to Shirin, if you didnt listen to the end of Shir's RHAP, you missed the best part - Rodney's impressions.

Lol well I guess I can skip to the end and listen to that.  I've said before, Max always gave me the vibe that he considered himself better than, and above everyone else.  Because they weren't going along with what his strategy was and how he envisioned the game going, they were bad at it while he was just misunderstood.  He still comes across as wanting to be remembered as some great strategic character/villain.  I remember him grumbling about Carolyn being upset with him using her as a pawn to get So out, but like several people this season, he played too hard too fast.  If he and Shirin wind up on the same tribe together, I guarantee that will make them a target.  The drama this season seemed to hijack anything exciting going on, which is another reason I expect people to want to get rid of Shirin sooner rather than later.  They just really don't seem self aware.  I'm hoping Joe does RHAP.  It seems Rob has about half the cast so far.  Kind of sucks for Mike and Carolyn that they aren't able to do the press campaigning like the others.

I think they didn't invite every single non-winner because there are ones people have wished got another chance and ones no one cares much about, and those latter way outnumber the former.  I don't think it'd be fair to ask the 200 that were free to drop everything to show up bags packed, and send 180 home that night.  It's bad enough they're doing it to 12, I think.  Plus I'm sure they're paying all 32 people's way to LA for the finale.  Why do that for 200?  

Oh, I wasn't suggesting that. I was just saying that they may have invited everyone eligible at first, then narrowed it down to the 40 you see her before the voting started.  Really, the only question is if in the beginning they invited everyone eligible to apply, or narrowed it down to some subset before sending out the invitation.

I was all for having more to choose from, but given the narrow window of opporunity for voting and the live reveal, I can see why they narrowed it down to so few.  I'm still curious if this was the original plan, or if the backlash from this season made them want to overshadow it with something better.

I think this was the original plan, and they would have done it this way whether or not S30 sucked. It makes sense to solicit voting while Survivor is on the air, and announcing the winners live on air during the finale makes for great drama.

Max always gave me the vibe that he considered himself better than, and above everyone else.

I feel like at least 80% of the contestants give off that vibe this season so I barely remember anymore that Max did. I really didn't like Max, but I have some fondness for how involved he is with and how appreciative he seems of the Survivor fandom. I wouldn't hate to see him again. If anyone from WA came back I'd rather it be him than Carolyn, Mike, or even Shirin to be honest.

What gets me about Max is that he mistook survivor references for wit and turned into a character lacking any originality or freshness. He is campaigning hard, even scraping the dredges of podcasting like SurvivorTalk with D&D but I would actually vote for Jim Rice over him.

I've listened to Shane's RHAP 3 times and it was hilarious each time. Can't wait!

• Love 1
(edited)

What gets me about Max is that he mistook survivor references for wit and turned into a character lacking any originality or freshness. He is campaigning hard, even scraping the dredges of podcasting like SurvivorTalk with D&D but I would actually vote for Jim Rice over him.

I've listened to Shane's RHAP 3 times and it was hilarious each time. Can't wait!

In the EW slideshow, all the contestants were asked what they would do differently the second time around.  Most everyone's is about a paragraph of how they would change their strategic game play, or how they would try not to be so misunderstood.  All Shane had to say was he'd "smile more".  I love this guy.  They are totally missing out if they don't get him back on (and so are we!).  This is why I worry if TPTB don't have any say, and the fans do vote for the more recent seasons.  Haven't had a chance to listen to Shane's yet but plan on it tonight.  Trying to get caught up.  I wish Kelly Wiglesworth's was a little longer, hers was only 15 minutes whereas everyone else was at least 45 or more.

Edited by LadyChatts

Listened to some of Kimmi's interview on my way to work. I think she could be a really interesting player. both of her boys have had major health issues so I do hope she uses that as motivation rather than being homesick. She made me laugh "they are running out of Australia Outback players who haven't played again eventually they would get to me."

• Love 1

I am listening to Stephen's podcast right now. Rob said that he does not expect to do too many more interviews between now and the finale.

Here is the list of people who did not appear on Rob's show

Women: Ciera, Natalie, Sabrina, Tasha, Mikayla

Men: Jeremy, Joe, Spencer, Woo, Terry, Brad, Vytas

Jeremy, Tasha, and Spencer all surprise me because they all were in the running or won the Survivor fan contest (Spenser won). Vytas is a surprise because he enjoys coming on the Podcast.

I am wondering if some of those folks figure they are shoo ins (Joe, Spenser, Tasha, Vytas, Jeremy is my guess). Natalie, Sabrina, Mikayla, Woo, Terry and Brad are either not all that worried about making it on or just think that they are shoo ins when they are not.

(edited)

All the Mr/Miss Survivor finalists would be a surprise if they dont interview. That would be Ciera, Jeremy, etc.

Vytas visited Rob in studio and they did Periscope so I am sure the interview will be on the feed soon.

Again, kudos to Rob for not only being the hardest working man in podcasting but also giving very good advice specific to all the survivors in these interviews. They better take notes.

Stephen will be greatly missed in next season's KIAs but his absense will make people appreciate him all the more when he gets back.

ETA - Tasha has been recorded.

Edited by wonald
  • Love 1

I believe Rob said in one of the interviews (Shane's maybe?) that Terry is also scheduled for an interview.

This vote has really overshadowed the current season. I find myself looking forward to the finale only to find out who gets on the next season and to see everyone's reactions. I feel bad for the current contestants, even though I haven't enjoyed this season nor had any investment in the players aside from a couple of the no collars. Hopefully the cast reveal will take the place of the boring audience interviews and not cut into the current cast's interview time. Unless Dan wins, then I would be okay with pretending it never happened and moving straight to season 31.

• Love 2

Ha ha ha, you two!  I am excited even if they have already been chosen.   My guess is that the voting has tapered off and Jeff's tweet is to inspire another surge.  I doubt they are changing daily. 

• Love 2

Really pulling for Kimmi after listening to her podcast. I only really remember her from the infamous finger-wagging fight but she sounds fun and I think it will be great to see her and Jeff together. (Jeff is the only one that I'm really invested in getting on. I'll be so bummed if he doesn't make it.)

I really didn't like how Shirin acted like she was guaranteed a spot. I mean, she's probably right but she just seemed to act like it was her god-given right to go back on.

• Love 1
(edited)

I love Kimmi!  That line about running out of Outback people cracked me up.  I think she'd come in with a much better perspective and head on her shoulders in regards to the game.  The first castaways had no game model to follow, but really, the Outback people were going in almost as blind.  I feel like the old school, pre-Micronesia (or at least pre-Cook Islands) crowd will really feel like they have something to prove and a huge drive to go far.  I was sad to hear Kimmi fell on some hard times with her children, and that makes me root for her even more to get on and do well.

I really hope Shirin is an early boot.  If the others don't want her drama to hijack their season, she may very well be, especially since she does have such a close bond with her WA castoffs (who are also likely to make it on).  I just don't think Shirin can play this game without making it personal and having someone to carry her.  Someone on Mike's twitter said she was pulling for him but not Shirin because they didn't want him getting saddled with taking care of her again.

In regards to campaigning, Joe seems to be one of the ones who isn't really pushing as hard for votes.  Granted, the boys a lock, but kind of interesting that some of them are that sure about their chances.  And the majority are from the later seasons that seem to be pretty full of themselves.  I wonder if they know something we don't, and if in fact TPTB have already guaranteed slots to people but are keeping that out of the fine print.

And I took Jeff's tweet to mean "we aren't getting as many votes as we hoped and it's the people getting votes you would expect, but we want everyone to think they have a shot".

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 1

I don't know, I have to admit these RHAP interviews have swayed me to some degree. I have 7 women that have all my votes locked down, the rest were just throwaways, but after hearing Stephanie Valencia's interview, she got added to the list of locks, so now I alternated the last two, but I never vote for Carolyn.

As for the men, Jim Rice lost any of my votes after hearing his. I hadn't voted any for Max, but I gave his interview a fair shot, and he's still not getting any of my votes.

I've actually caved and listened to the people that I don't like and had no plans voting for.  Since my last few votes are floating between various people, I figured maybe I could be swayed into continually voting for them like I am my other locks.  And, I was curious for the people that I loathed before what they had to say for themselves.  I almost wonder if some of these interviews may come back to bite these guys when they are out there.  I listened to most of Kass's, and she said she made all the milestones before so she essentially wants to be the goat this time.  Whether that's strategy or she means it is another story.  I don't like Kass, so hopefully we won't find out.  Max, I still think he's delusional.  He said he worries all the dirty30 comardarie will hurt them out there, especially since they've been so vocal on SM.  He also said he wouldn't let Probst & co bait him into talking too much about the game or doing stuff that makes him an outcast (like running naked I guess).  It could be because I don't like Max, but I just sense a hint of desperation that he wants this to just redeem whatever legacy he thinks he's owed.

I will say that one person I wasn't voting for at first but am now is Abi-Maria.  I really didn't like her during her original season (she ranked bottom 10 for me) but after the finale of Philippines, I started (sort of) warming to her.  The whole issue with R.C. kind of starting swaying me to Abi-Maria's side, but I gave Abi credit after the fact to owning up to her behavior.  I think she will come in more self aware this time and I feel will have her head in the game much better this time around.  I don't know, there's an inkling I have that she might surprise and in a good way, redeeming herself.  

• Love 2

I couldn't stand Abi-Maria during her season, but I really enjoyed her post show interviews, she came across like a real sweetheart, so I've been voting for her since it started. The whole RC thing was unfortunate, RC got framed by another player, it was a raw deal for her, if anybody deserves a second chance, it's her, I heard she turned them down though.

• Love 3

From the EW slideshow, under Max:

What will you do differently this time around? I'll never forget my first time. It was forever in the making. For years I'd fantasized about how it would feel. I'd practiced by myself until I had callouses on my hands. When the moment finally came, I felt like I was going to explode. I was so excited to be there. Too excited. I rushed. I lost control. And it was over before I knew it.

My first time was a mess. Disappointing. Premature. But I still know I can do it. That I can last. That I can go all the way. All I need is a chance to prove it. Know this: just because you've seen me naked doesn't mean you've seen all that I've got.

Okay, ew.  I'm no prude, but that's just....immature.  I was relatively neutral on Max but this is just silly.  And in fact Shane's short answer changed my mind on him--my vague memories of him were that I had an overwhelmingly negative opinion of him, but "Smile more" is great.

• Love 2

I listened to Max on Rob's Podcast and I just can't. I think his middle name is ego. Seriously, production saw something we didn't thus him getting a second chance??. Pleasssssse! He thought he was smart, knew all that & then got booted early. He sucked! Yup! I'm not voting for him and hopefully he doesn't get a second chance. I know most Survivors have revisionist history when they are voted out but he really takes the cake. And, if I hear how close the Dirty 30 are and that they changed the game.............. I will hurl!!!!!

• Love 2

Well, they may have changed the game, but certainly not in a good way.  It will probably change how they edit down the road and what types of characters they cast.  They may never cast superfans again.  So congrats guys!  Seriously, this season takes themselves way too seriously and doesn't know the meaning of 'criticism'.  They are extremely thin skinned and delusional.  I want to scream every time I hear 'dirty30'.  We get it guys.  Someone on twitter called Max out for playing the Jeff Probst card (saying that production saw something in him to bring him back).  I sincerely hope he gets booted early.  They would be smart to take out all the S30 crowd first (sorry Joe, but I feel that's inevitable anyway).  Way too much drama and self serving.  I hope there's an accurate boot list for next season, and I hope the people I want gone most are in the pre-merge part.  I don't think Max is going to do anything differently.  He's still playing a character.  Fortuantely this is an AS season, not FvsF where he might slip through because other people are star struck and stupid to let it happen.

I don't want to vote for Mike or Carolyn, just because one of them might be ineligible and I don't want to waste a vote.

Did they mention the voting at all tonight?  I didn't hear it, but am surprised if they didn't bring it up.

Natalie mentioned an interesting point in her Rhap interview that whoever does not make it will probably not get another chance. I agree with that point for the older contestants. I think some of the younger ones might get another chance.

I haven't listened to Natalie's yet, but I doubt it will make me want to vote for her after her season. I will give it a fair listen though, maybe she will sway me.

Yeah season 19 to 26 are a blur for me because I was burned out by Survivor. If she gets on and Vytas does and that could be a pre game alliance that no one has been talking about. Natalie is best friends with Julie Berry who is very close with Aras, his wife and Vytas. Julie attended Aras's wedding.

I don't understand people saying Natalie Tenerelli has potential just because she was so young when she played the first time. You can tell when someone is young and naive, but smart vs. young, naive and dumb. She still doesn't come across as very bright or interesting. She was on the Survivor After Show during Caramoan and was terrible just on that. She seems very nice, so it wouldn't be the end of the world if she got back on, but she's not going to add anything either.

I don't particularly like Mikayla, but she deserves a second chance just for the fact that was voted out because Brandon Hantz is a sicko. And I like that she is so blatant about that fact in that EW slideshow.

Jeff loves Ciera and said at the reunion about her "that is how you play the game". I don't agree. She was actually a pretty bad player. She voted for her mom when it made no difference and her mom would have been voted off anyway and flipped a week too late, resulting in the rock draw. Probst should stop conflating "big moves" with "smart moves". Although he can't, because Jeff is dumb. I do think she would be pretty good a second time around though, although she is hinting in her EW section that she'll play more conservatively.

Vytas comes across as creepy and sleazy to me and just as a player I don't think he deserves to go back.

I think for Jeff it's about compelling tv, and Ciera voting out her mother was that, it created a lot of buzz. My friends that have never watched Survivor and never will, were coming up to me after that and saying, "wow, I heard some girl voted out her own mother on that show you like."

OK, in this Parade interview Jeff reveals a little more about how these people were selected:

It’s very exciting. There is definitely an electricity that I can feel, and I’m feeling it from the 32 nominees. When we put this list together, it was really, truly and honestly difficult. We started with 75 people. We went through and said, “Who are all the people you can make a case for?” And there are a lot. And then we started looking, “Okay, let’s try to spread it out over the seasons.” That starts eliminating people. Then you start saying, “Okay, who is the most colorful interview?” And you eliminate more people.

You look for all these ways to separate and pull people out, and you’re left with a list of maybe 40 — and from there you have to get it down even smaller because there’s a point where the number’s just too big and you can’t even comprehend it.

The whole time we’re doing it, I’m aware we’re crushing a bunch of people’s hearts. Every time we pulled someone out, I would think, “Oh, God, if they only knew. They were this close.” But we’re left with a list where everybody involved with the list was happy. We were comfortable turning this over to our fans, because any 20 that they choose, we’re happy with. We like. We put them here for a reason.

Some of these people, you’ll look at them and go, “Who is that again?” And others, you’ll go, “I’m so glad they’re on the list.” But for us, every one of these people are people we originally put on the show, and every one of them are people that we think might have an interesting second go at it.

There's more but that's the part that interested me most.

(edited)

Ciera voting for her mom wasn't necessary, but it was a symbolic gesture to the others that she was with them and they could trust her. Of course, like everything in Survivor, it's a double-edged sword because it also signaled that she was playing hard and was someone to be wary of. And while her flip did come too late, so many people refuse to see that they're on the bottom of an alliance or if they see it, do nothing about it. This season's Sierra is a good example of that. So even though Ciera was making a move that ultimately put her out at 5 instead of 4, she was willing to risk it in order to get to 3. She started out her season being pretty unimpressive, but she turned into a decent player. I'd like to see her back again over most of the women in the running.

Edited by fishcakes
  • Love 1

Natalie mentioned an interesting point in her Rhap interview that whoever does not make it will probably not get another chance. I agree with that point for the older contestants. I think some of the younger ones might get another chance.

I don't know that I believe that.  It's kind of a weird second chance list, but I could see especially some of more recent contestants being asked to return again.  Of course, depending when their next AS season is, they will have that many more people to contend with.  In regards to Natalie, I'm short on women I want to see back, so I've thrown a couple her way.  I didn't like her the first go round, and quit watching her season half way through (though eventually went back to catch up-and it was painful).  However, since this is all about second chances, I'm hoping the castaways make good on that premise and being picked by fans to go back.  Not just go in UTR and do nothing strategically except get carried to the end.  Natalie was young the first time and wound up in a season that was already handed to Rob.  Without him around, I'd like to see if she is just a coattail rider or if she can actually make some moves on her own.  Won't be disappointed if she makes it, won't be if she's left out.  Would rather see her over Stephanie, Kass, and Shirin.

I don't particularly like Mikayla, but she deserves a second chance just for the fact that was voted out because Brandon Hantz is a sicko.

I agree. But the fact that she had a thing with Russell Hantz makes me not as eager to see her ever again.

• Love 2

I agree. But the fact that she had a thing with Russell Hantz makes me not as eager to see her ever again.

Dom Harvey of Dom & Colin Podcast called her sleazy. I think that is a good word for it. You can never wash that off.

(edited)

I don't understand people saying Natalie Tenerelli has potential just because she was so young when she played the first time. You can tell when someone is young and naive, but smart vs. young, naive and dumb. She still doesn't come across as very bright or interesting. She was on the Survivor After Show during Caramoan and was terrible just on that. She seems very nice, so it wouldn't be the end of the world if she got back on, but she's not going to add anything either.

I don't particularly like Mikayla, but she deserves a second chance just for the fact that was voted out because Brandon Hantz is a sicko. And I like that she is so blatant about that fact in that EW slideshow.

Jeff loves Ciera and said at the reunion about her "that is how you play the game". I don't agree. She was actually a pretty bad player. She voted for her mom when it made no difference and her mom would have been voted off anyway and flipped a week too late, resulting in the rock draw. Probst should stop conflating "big moves" with "smart moves". Although he can't, because Jeff is dumb. I do think she would be pretty good a second time around though, although she is hinting in her EW section that she'll play more conservatively.

Vytas comes across as creepy and sleazy to me and just as a player I don't think he deserves to go back.

I think with Natalie it's an interesting concept. Lynne Spillman said on Survivor Oz said that was the reason why Amber was on all stars they were interested to see her play again because she was so young the first time and had kept in touch with her. Natalie isn't going to be good tv because she seems to be a nice person and can deal with crazy personalities (Phillip) plus she will probably play very methodically she pretty said in her Rhap interview she's not going to make big moves to just to make them which I respect. Players like Andrea in Caramoan drive me crazy that just want to make moves to prove themselves.

ETA Jaclyn tweeted this today https://twitter.com/JaclynMSchultz/status/598981133288808448Apparently Jon isn't on this season because he didn't listen to his voice mails! I could totally see Jon doing that!

Edited by choclatechip45

What did Monica say about voting for Natalie instead of Russell?  Can you recap it because I have a brain that would much rather read than listen.  Thank you.

Rob asked if she regretted not voting for Russell to win and she says she does go back and forth on it, but it's hard for her to go back in the mindset that she was in when she voted. She does feel if Russell had treated everyone better he would have gotten her vote. In her own words Natalie has fallen off the face of the earth while Monica still keeps in touch and is friends with Russell.

• Love 1

Thank you so, so much.

I only just NOW realized that this voting for past contestants was not for Season 32 and that Season 31 has not been filmed yet.  That means we're going to have to wait a really long time for Season 31 aren't we?!!?  Or will it still manage to air at the intervals we're used to?

They are leaving right after the announcement at the finale to go film.  There is already a season in the can that was supposed to be S31, but that one is being pushed back to the spring.

• Love 1
(edited)

So the final 2 or 3 from season 32 have to wait another year to find out who won??!! I would go insane!

I know!  I said before, it has to suck for the newbies to not only wait a full year for their season to air (and be bumped for an AS edition) but also for the person who won to have to wait that long to cash in.  I wonder if the long passage of time will amount to spoilers being leaked out.  I was curious why they didn't wait until the spring to air this second chance edition.  Plus, having the second chance season be season #32 fits with their timeline of full AS seasons being every 12 seasons.  I had wondered if the ugliness of WA and it not going over as they expected made them speed this edition up.  This is what a lot of people are talking about now, and the cast reveal will totally steal the show at the reunion.  That in turn will also steal the thunder of the final 5 the next day.  Also, if the current crop of newbies is anything like the group we have now, maybe they figure throwing in a fan favorite edition in between will make people forget about the drama that is WA.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 1

I had wondered if the ugliness of WA and it not going over as they expected made them speed this edition up.

I think that's exactly it, and after a week of Dipshit Dan making the rounds and making an even bigger fool of himself, I think I would be fine if I tuned in next week and instead of the finale, Probst just announces the winner, and says they will send them the check, and they move immediately to Second Chances.

• Love 1