Type keyword(s) to search

S31: Voting

• Start Topic

(edited)

Poor Debb.  I wasn't a fan of hers, but she really took a beating her season in the press over her personal life.  I remember her tearing up at the reunion over it.  Someone had made a fake twitter account with her name, and Jeff really defended her and got the account deleted.  It was nice to see.  I think Kimmi will keep her emotions a little more in check this time.  She's older, doesn't seem to be such a party girl, and probably knows going off about the chickens or eating a mammal probably won't win her any brownie points.  I have to say, out of the old time contestants, she's one I think has the biggest uphill battle to getting on.  I hope I'm wrong.  All the pre-Micronesia people are continually getting my votes.  Jeff is really pulling out all the stops.  I hope it works out for him.

Max seems really desperate to get back on.  He is one that I really think might have a problem if he goes out early again.  I doubt there will be a 3rd chance for him if that happens.  I believe he's the lowest ranking potential returnee, so he probably feels like he has the most to lose.  I wonder if regrets hyping up in interviews after his boot about what his game plan was, since that may come back to bite him.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 1
(edited)

Poor Debb. I wasn't a fan of hers, but she really took a beating her season in the press over her personal life. I remember her tearing up at the reunion over it. Someone had made a fake twitter account with her name, and Jeff really defended her and got the account deleted. It was nice to see. I think Kimmi will keep her emotions a little more in check this time. She's older, doesn't seem to be such a party girl, and probably knows going off about the chickens or eating a mammal probably won't win her any brownie points. I have to say, out of the old time contestants, she's one I think has the biggest uphill battle to getting on. I hope I'm wrong. All the pre-Micronesia people are continually getting my votes. Jeff is really pulling out all the stops. I hope it works out for him.

Max seems really desperate to get back on. He is one that I really think might have a problem if he goes out early again. I doubt there will be a 3rd chance for him if that happens. I believe he's the lowest ranking potential returnee, so he probably feels like he has the most to lose. I wonder if regrets hyping up in interviews after his boot about what his game plan was, since that may come back to bite him.

I agree she has been really funny the two times she has been on RHAP with the Jeff. The first time she said she was really nervous because of everything that went on after her season but she knew Jeff wouldn't put her in that position. See I think Theresa has the hardest time because Africa has never been a popular season. Australia was the most watched seasons so I feel like Kimmi might get the nostalgia vote. Plus even if they say it's a fan vote I feel like if Jeff gets on they'll put Kimmi on. Jeff said if he gets on he has requested Alicia as his loved one visit not an Alicia fan but it's nice to there still friends. Edited by choclatechip45

I agree she has been really funny the two times she has been on RHAP with the Jeff. The first time she said she was really nervous because of everything that went on after her season but she knew Jeff wouldn't put her in that position. See I think Theresa has the hardest time because Africa has never been a popular season. Australia was the most watched seasons so I feel like Kimmi might get the nostalgia vote. Plus even if they say it's a fan vote I feel like if Jeff gets on they'll put Kimmi on. Jeff said if he gets on he has requested Alicia as his loved one visit not an Alicia fan but it's nice to there still friends.

I love this!  Good to hear they have been friends all these years.   Jeff is a favorite of mine and I hope he makes it.  

• Love 1

I love this!  Good to hear they have been friends all these years.   Jeff is a favorite of mine and I hope he makes it.

Apparently she has said she'll do it! That would be funny I never thought all the potential former Survivors we might have for loved one visits.

I believe Stephen Fishbach and Courtney Yates are still dating so I wonder if she would be his family visit.  Be a good way to get more former Survivors out there.  Since Joe was emotional for missing out on the family visit this season (if they are still having one) I hope he can make it to that point next time.  Still think he'll be Rob C/Yau-Man-ned out early but I hope I'm wrong.

I believe Stephen Fishbach and Courtney Yates are still dating so I wonder if she would be his family visit.  Be a good way to get more former Survivors out there.  Since Joe was emotional for missing out on the family visit this season (if they are still having one) I hope he can make it to that point next time.  Still think he'll be Rob C/Yau-Man-ned out early but I hope I'm wrong.

They broke up awhile ago like a few years ago I know they are still good friends unless they got back together the last few months.

They broke up awhile ago like a few years ago I know they are still good friends unless they got back together the last few months.

Oh, I hadn't heard that.  I still see pictures of them together somewhat frequently, so I assumed they were still dating.  Nice to see they are still friends at least. 

Oh, I hadn't heard that.  I still see pictures of them together somewhat frequently, so I assumed they were still dating.  Nice to see they are still friends at least.

Stephen mentioned it on Survivor Sucks when Big Brother 14 was airing which was the summer of 2012.

So you're voting for white people in part to try to cancel out votes of people voting for minority contestants? Survivor had always been tough for a minority contestant, there's a reason why they had to have the Race season, because there was a perception at the time that there were never enough minority contestants.

In particular, I think the Asian male seems very underrepresented. Apart from Yul and Yau Man and the others on the race season, I can only think of Woo. I missed some seasons in the late teens to mid 20s so there could possibly be more.

I just realised that I thought that Kelly Wentworth who I have been voting for was Jaclyn, Jon's girlfriend who made the finals. Just hit me that she is ass Dale's daughter.

Other Asian men have included Daniel (Amazon), Bruce (Panama: Exile Island), Mookie (Fiji), Frosti (China), Kenny (Gabon), and Jonas (One World). Not a terribly long list at all. I'm a bit surprised that Kenny has never been in contention to return because of how Probst seemed to think that his gig as a professional gamer somehow meant that he would be a great strategist. Frosti has made several appearances on American Ninja Warrior and seems to be a relatively big name among the parkour crowd.

... And I just realized I had made the exact same mistake you did regarding Kelley Wentworth. She still wouldn't be at the top of my list of people I'd like to see return, but I'd be more curious as to what she might be able to do on a second go-round than Jaclyn. So I've thrown a few "You Are Not Kass" votes her way...

• Love 1

I agree she has been really funny the two times she has been on RHAP with the Jeff. The first time she said she was really nervous because of everything that went on after her season but she knew Jeff wouldn't put her in that position. See I think Theresa has the hardest time because Africa has never been a popular season. Australia was the most watched seasons so I feel like Kimmi might get the nostalgia vote. Plus even if they say it's a fan vote I feel like if Jeff gets on they'll put Kimmi on. Jeff said if he gets on he has requested Alicia as his loved one visit not an Alicia fan but it's nice to there still friends.

I hope your right about Kimmi.  I went back to BB AS to see who was a producer vs fan pick, and only those that were S4-S6 were voted on by the public-and only one was from S4, the rest being the two most current seasons.  Granted, BB doesn't have the fanbase Survivor has ever had, and being once a year it is far more spaced out.  The nostalgiac Survivors have it going for them that they were among the highest rated and more memorable seasons, and online at least it appears all or most of the pre-Micronesia crowd has a ton of support.  Whether that translates into people voting is another story.  I hope TPTB aren't banking on one thing happening, and then something else entirely taking place.

In regards to Debb, I can't blame her for being nervous.  I was surprised she'd still feel that way after all these years, but I recently went back and watched Outback, including the reunion, and her segment was worse than I remembered.  Poor thing.  I hope she is happy and was able to let all of that go.  Glad to see she's got people in her corner.

... And I just realized I had made the exact same mistake you did regarding Kelley Wentworth. She still wouldn't be at the top of my list of people I'd like to see return, but I'd be more curious as to what she might be able to do on a second go-round than Jaclyn. So I've thrown a few "You Are Not Kass" votes her way...

I can't stand Kelley, and yet she's getting my votes.  Says something about the other ladies that I really don't want to see.  I wasn't a fan of Jon or Jaclyn that much, but I had said I would love to see them come back and play an individual game sometime.  I think they would be much more successful at it than having to be a couple and always "being in the middle".  I would like to see their game play in a different setting.

I'm clearly emotionally invested in this season that hasn't even started yet! I've made sure to vote every eligible day, and I have a lot of opinions.  My latest opinion is that if CBS wanted to make sure S31 isn't loaded up with players from the last 3-4 seasons, they could easily have prevented that without any behind-the-scenes shadiness.  They could have just publicly stated that only the top two (or maybe three, but they'd need to choose a number) vote-getters from each season would get on.  (That would be two (or 3) overall, not 2 male and 2 female). In fact I wish they had done so, but it's too late now.

• Love 1

They definitely didn't invite everyone.  That would be hundreds and hundreds of people.  

And what would be the problem with that, exactly? I figure they have a secret email group that production could have just sent a mass email to, inviting everyone applicable (anyone non-winner who's only played once).  Then they could find out who's able and willing, and narrow it down from there. I don't think the number of applicants would be unmanageable. These would have to be people who could interrupt their life for a couple of months, quitting their jobs or getting a huge chunk of time off, which is a lot easier when you're younger.

I read the S31 "Spoiler" thread the other day, in which a spoiler listed all these folks plus a few more who for some reason didn't end up in the final list.  (If you want to know who they were, you can read just the first post in that thread...other than them, only Natalie Bolton from S16 was mentioned.)  I wonder what happened to the people who disapeared from the list.  Where they people who had to drop out at the last minute, or dropped by the producers, or were they never actually on the short list to begin with?

I think they didn't invite every single non-winner because there are ones people have wished got another chance and ones no one cares much about, and those latter way outnumber the former.  I don't think it'd be fair to ask the 200 that were free to drop everything to show up bags packed, and send 180 home that night.  It's bad enough they're doing it to 12, I think.  Plus I'm sure they're paying all 32 people's way to LA for the finale.  Why do that for 200?  

(edited)

I'm trying to stay optimistic about the second chance season, especially after the disaster that is WA.  But the more I think about it and how it's going to play out, the less enthused I am.  And I need to stay away from the potential castaways SM accounts, because seeing them all smooze each other is really annoying to me.  

Greg Buis was a name on the list, but I questioned (as did others) if that was for real or not.  Greg seemed pretty much done with Survivor at the end of the original season and fell off the grid for awhile.  It sounded as though Chelsea, Hayden, Natalie, J'Tia, and Cliff were all cut and didn't drop out on their own.  Since they already had 4 from Cagayan, I can see why J'Tia and Cliff were axed in favor of Spencer, Woo, Kass, and Tasha.  In regards to the others, I assumed they probably figured they had enough of that particular type of contestant or they were satisfied with the number they had from that season.  Even though I think we are lacking in the young alpha male demo, we have Vytas, Brad, and Ciera from BvsW, and probably in Chelsea's case, enough of the young pretty females to pick from.  One World wasn't a particularly popular season, so they may have decided to keep the number of contestants from that one to a minimum.  What I'm really puzzled by is the 5 WA returnees.  Joe makes sense, I guess Shirin and Mike make sense.  But this is another season that is extremely polarizing, being dubbed the worst cast ever.  They already have enough 'Mike' types, so I don't see why they felt the need to have so many from this season potentially return.  I'll stand by the theory that whoever gets on from this season will have an uphill battle to make it to the merge.  I watched Max's campaign vid, and I think he's still delusional as ever about how the game is played, just doing a tad better job at hiding it.  I don't think he really gets what he did wrong the first time.

I was all for having more to choose from, but given the narrow window of opporunity for voting and the live reveal, I can see why they narrowed it down to so few.  I'm still curious if this was the original plan, or if the backlash from this season made them want to overshadow it with something better.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 1
(edited)

With Hayden's case I don't think he really fits a season named second chances since this would be his third chance because of Big Brother, plus he is a Big Brother winner.

I hope your right about Kimmi.  I went back to BB AS to see who was a producer vs fan pick, and only those that were S4-S6 were voted on by the public-and only one was from S4, the rest being the two most current seasons.  Granted, BB doesn't have the fanbase Survivor has ever had, and being once a year it is far more spaced out.  The nostalgiac Survivors have it going for them that they were among the highest rated and more memorable seasons, and online at least it appears all or most of the pre-Micronesia crowd has a ton of support.  Whether that translates into people voting is another story.  I hope TPTB aren't banking on one thing happening, and then something else entirely taking place.

In regards to Debb, I can't blame her for being nervous.  I was surprised she'd still feel that way after all these years, but I recently went back and watched Outback, including the reunion, and her segment was worse than I remembered.  Poor thing.  I hope she is happy and was able to let all of that go.  Glad to see she's got people in her corner.

Big Brother All-Stars had just come after one of its most popular seasons to date. I also feel like Big Brother fans get more invested, but have short term memory. Also this was the summer 2005, so besides myspace no social media the ones who got on by fan vote all had an online presence.  Debb did tell Rob she would do a podcast if Jeff gets on he's the only one she has kept in touch with. Jeff said they didn't like each other after the Outback, but he felt bad cus of everything she went through in the press and made it a point to check in with her throughout the years.

Edited by choclatechip45

I love all the Rob Has a Podcast interviews. They give me a ton of stuff to listen to at work! They are not going to change my votes but they are something to listen to when researching stuff.

I am continuing to vote for all the Old School Survivors and then minorities.

• Love 1

I am not too worried about how they generated the list.

I am guessing that they sent an email to all the past contestants who have not played a second time to see who might be interested and that eliminated a ton of people. Then they did some culling. I would hope that they tried to put up the strongest people for the early seasons so that they had the best chance of getting on and we have representatives from some of the earlier seasons. Then narrow down the list of people from popular seasons so it doesn't end up totally over run by one or two seasons.

Cliff was not exactly exciting in his season. J'Tia was nuts and really not all that much fun to watch. She had a lot of "She did what moments" but they were never really planned for advancement, they were just emotional responses. Kass had a lot of "She did what moments" but you could see that Kass was planning them.

I suspect Woo ended up on the list because he placed second and it helps that he is a person of color and that we don't see a ton of people with an Asian background on the show.

I actually wish that they had a rule that no more then two people from any one season can make it on the show. I don't want four from Cagayan or Worlds Apart.

• Love 2

I love all the Rob Has a Podcast interviews. They give me a ton of stuff to listen to at work! They are not going to change my votes but they are something to listen to when researching stuff.

I am doing the same thing. 

Probst mentioned in his EW article that Woo is really popular among children and I could see that considering the clip they picked for him. I'm surprised Alicia from One World hasn't been back, maybe she was too unpopular. The list was a lot better than I thought. I thought a lot of people they chose were never coming back. The male list isn't very good, but I'm really happy Varner is on it so that makes up the short comings for me.

• Love 1
(edited)

I'm voting for all the old timers, and all the minorities are getting my vote, though that's more due to the fact that I enjoyed them their first time out.  I normally wouldn't vote for Woo, but there aren't many guys on the list I care about. So he's getting my vote because his name isn't Mike, Max, Brad, Terry, Jim, or Troyzan.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 2

Woo I am voting for because I don't want to see Troyzan, Max, Brad, Mike, Spenser and Terry otherwise I wouldn't vote for him. Woo had little game and made the worlds most move taking Tony to the finals. But I really don't want to see the others. Spenser is just kind of annoying on the Podcasts.

I like Spencer, but I have a feeling I'm going to change my opinion of him once this season is over.  Always happens after an AS season, some castoffs I despised become favorites, and those I loved and was excited to see go on my 'never again' list.  I feel like Spencer is potentially a target for an early boot.

• Love 2

That's basically what I did, too. But I also voted for Spencer. I like him! I'm ashamed of that, but whatever! He's gonna be on without my votes anyway.

The reality is that we are voting for 11 men and women because there is the possibility that Mike wins this season and is not eligible so the 11th man or woman is the person going because I have a feeling that Carolyn and Mike are going to get enough votes to go back.

I'm really enjoying the RHAP interviews, I hadn't voted for Stephanie Valencia at all, because I honestly can't remember her, but she charmed me in her interview, and will now be throwing votes her way. That's going to be at Cierra's expense, but she got 5 days of votes from me.

There are a lot of people who got a heavily manipulated favorable edit whose legacy might be spoiled when the curtains are pulled back in an AS season: Ciera, Woo, Tasha, etc. While Spencer got a favorable edit in S28, enough of his grumpiness showed through that it put some people off. I'm not worried about Spencer since he seems genuinely adorable IRL from what i see in social media.

Listening to the Shane Powers RHAP and he's sooooo entertaining. He's ripping on Jim Rice's RHAP and I couldn't love Shane more. 

OMG, now he is ripping on Max's wart and the hot water. ROTFLMAO.

Jim Rice could do a 100 more interviews and he will come across as an asshole in each one. That's who he is. It was a race between Vytas and Jim for my 10th spot and I picked Vytas every time since I find Vytas more smarmy-villainish in an entertaining way.

• Love 3

That's basically what I did, too. But I also voted for Spencer. I like him! I'm ashamed of that, but whatever! He's gonna be on without my votes anyway.

I like him too and vote for him along with the older season players and minorities.  

See, Vytas lost any chance that I ever anted to see him on the show again when he commented about all the women wanting the bad boy or whatever the hell patronizing BS he said. Dude is still jealous of his older brother and seemed to be very intent on peddling his past drug problems storyline. I just don't like him. Bleeeccchhh

Spenser has been honest to say that he knows his edit would have been totally different if he had not been in the underdog position. Spenser is a nice enough person but he strikes me as swarmy and pretty superior feeling. It is more of a gut thing then anything. Just something about how he comes across on Rob Has a Podcast irks me.

Jim is annoying and I am not thrilled with him but he doesn't rub me as badly as Vytas does.

• Love 2

I would've really liked to have seen Hayden play again.  

Maybe he'll show up on The Amazing Race someday.  Has anyone ever done BB, Survivor and TAR?  

(edited)

I would've really liked to have seen Hayden play again.

Maybe he'll show up on The Amazing Race someday. Has anyone ever done

BB, Survivor and TAR?

Nope it was rumored that Whitney and Keith replaced Hayden and Kat because they broke up for Amazing Race 25. Edited by choclatechip45

See, Vytas lost any chance that I ever anted to see him on the show again when he commented about all the women wanting the bad boy or whatever the hell patronizing BS he said. Dude is still jealous of his older brother and seemed to be very intent on peddling his past drug problems storyline. I just don't like him. Bleeeccchhh

Spenser has been honest to say that he knows his edit would have been totally different if he had not been in the underdog position. Spenser is a nice enough person but he strikes me as swarmy and pretty superior feeling. It is more of a gut thing then anything. Just something about how he comes across on Rob Has a Podcast irks me.

Jim is annoying and I am not thrilled with him but he doesn't rub me as badly as Vytas does.

Truthfully, I got that vibe from Spencer during his original run in the beginning.  When his tribe went on their losing streak, I was hoping with all hope he would get voted off.  But I slowly warmed up to him, and now he ranks as one of my all time favorites.  His twitter feed has been what's getting me through this current season.  Now I find him to be genuine and telling it like it is, even if it comes off in an obnoxious way sometimes.  I still adore him though.  Vytas doesn't bother me.  He's one of those guys that I'll be fine with him getting on, but if he doesn't, it won't be the end of the world.  Much like Woo, I prefer him to some of the alternatives.

Speaking of getting a good edit because of your circumstances, I wonder how well some of our WA castoffs will come across next season.  We know they've been hiding a lot of what made Shirin annoying/unlikable out there, because everyone was annoyed by her and didn't care for her.  So while we saw traces of it, it was obviously a lot worse.  Similarly, I think Mike is getting a good edit because of whose left in the game.  Going back to the start of the season, his edit wasn't so peachy.  Carolyn does nothing for me, so I will be very disappointed if she makes it on.

I think both Vytas and Jim are sleazebags and suffer from Fancy Play Syndrome but Jim seems utterly humorless while Vytas can wink about it somewhat. But it's probably splitting hairs.

I told Jim flat out not to even pack his bags bc he is not going to get on and he did take it in stride.

re: Hayden

I thought the rumor is that he will be returning for the next BB AS?

• Love 1

The sad thing is Aras is younger than Vytas.

"We know they've been hiding a lot of what made Shirin annoying/unlikable out there"

I don't know that at all, in fact, Will felt what they've shown on tv would be enough for America to cheer him on at his vicious attack on her. I do see how the constant geeking out over Survivor would be annoying 24/7, but it doesn't seem to be any more than that.

I'm not crazy about Vytas, but I don't care one way or another if he gets on, I haven't thrown him any votes though.

• Love 2
(edited)

"We know they've been hiding a lot of what made Shirin annoying/unlikable out there"

I don't know that at all, in fact, Will felt what they've shown on tv would be enough for America to cheer him on at his vicious attack on her. I do see how the constant geeking out over Survivor would be annoying 24/7, but it doesn't seem to be any more than that.

I'm not crazy about Vytas, but I don't care one way or another if he gets on, I haven't thrown him any votes though.

To be fair, I'll revise that to say "I think they've been hiding a lot of what made Shirin annoying to everyone."  Because your right, we don't know.  Given the screwy editing this season, I don't think I know anyone.  I'm inclined to believe at this point maybe the people getting a raw deal weren't so terrible after all.  I'll stick with Will either didn't anticipate it wasn't going to be as bad as he thought/remembered or didn't expect the harsh backlash.  I believe that Shirin wasn't well liked out there, and since people didn't really rally to her side until after the merge (fan wise anyway it didn't seem her support picked up a lot until then).  And it also didn't seem she had a lot of support out there until then, either.  So he may have expected people to not back her like they did.  I think she just went with it, myself.

I haven't thrown any votes to Spencer cus I don't want to see a Rob C in all stars situation repeat itself. Plus I would be shocked if he doesnt make it.

That's what I worry will happen to both Spencer and Joe, who I also expect to see make it.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 1
(edited)

You know what I would love? The *entire* cast of Borneo on at the same time to play again. Obviously, that won't ever happen (and I doubt Sue would ever agree to be in the same STATE again with Richard, let alone be stranded on an island with him), but I think it would be fun to watch the original players' dynamics change with a second (and in some cases, third) chance.

Edited by pricklypear
  • Love 4

You know what I would love? The *entire* cast of Borneo on at the same time to play again

I would love that too, and if someone can't or doesn't want to participate, then replace them with someone from their family. Of course, no way Stacy Stillman would ever get back on, probably no one from her family either.

• Love 2
(edited)

When they talked about second chance Survivor, I almost wanted them to limit it to just the first 10-15 seasons (or even 19 seasons-I wouldn't have included any post-HvsV seasons).  These are people who've really been out of the game for a long time, and many of them never had the twist or advantages that came later on.  We certainly didn't see idol play then like we do now.  I think they could have assembled a good enough group from at least the first 15-16 seasons that would all have been 1 time players that didn't win.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 1

hmmmm Mike and Carolyn probably cannot campaign because they are still on the show. If they make it to the final week of the show they won't be able to give interviews like the others are.

Shirin's interview is pretty, well, weird. There is discussion of kissing Jenn to give her some of the syrup Shirin got for the chicken and waffles and putting peanut butter on her body to stick chicken to so that people could eat it after the auction. Just weird stuff

Yeah, sadly Shirin's interview was about what you expect: strangely off-putting and she is in denial. So many excuses about her brain fart in the first puzzle IC.

All I could thnk about the maple syrup in the mouth thing was that she ate fried chicken so she had remnants of animal fat in her mouth that she gave to Jenn. Why not just make a cup with her hands and pour the syrup to Jenn's mouth instead of kissing?

I actually wish that they had a rule that no more then two people from any one season can make it on the show. I don't want four from Cagayan or Worlds Apart.

I was thinking that if all the Cagayan people make it on (very likely) and 4/5 WA people make it (again, very likely) they would almost be an entire tribe of 10.  They could easily all team up and vote off the one loner.  Obviously, I know TPTB wouldn't group them together that way, but that shows how oversaturated some of these seasons are.  I almost wish they would only pick 18, and do tribes of 3.  I think that would make it a little more strategic when people are that much more mixed up, and not have as many people to hide behind.  Hopefully they've got some twists planned to prevent anything like that.

I've only been listening to the RHAP interviews of people I like.  I did listen to Shirin's, who I'm neutral on, but I couldn't get through the whole thing.  I don't think any of these WA peeps have been out of the game long enough to really grasp what they've done and need to improve, from a game play perspective.  Listening to Max's campaigin video and reading his little blurb on EW, I think he intends on going in and playing the exact same game he planned on playing this time.  Which, for him no one got to see, but he talked about it enough in interviews.  And he's playing with former contestants, so not sure his strategy will work again.  As for Shirin, unless she dials it down, I'm still going with her being a pre-merge boot if she makes it on.  I just don't think anyone will want to put up with the drama and the non-stop chatter.  Listening to that interview makes me remember why I didn't really like her at first and why people probably found her annoying out there in the first place. 

I have been listening to all of them since many of the folks didn't have as much of an opportunity to tell what happened on their seasons. It has been kind of fun listening to the past experiences and explanations. Kind of fun.