Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E19: The Storm Has Just Begun

Sometimes I forget what a beautiful voice Christina Aguilera has.  It was nice to see her sing a straightforward song – no big trills or runs – just simple and truly wonderful to listen to. 

It was also really nice to hear Daphne singing in a duet in which she really got to take lead at times.  She is so often overshadowed.  I am not as enthralled with the Stella Sisters as many seem to be.  She really changed my mind tonight.  Another beautiful performance. 

Okay, I still just cannot with Gunnar.  I am tired of his mopey mope face.  I am tired of his great angst.  I am just tired of him overall.  I do not see him as the great love of anyone’s life.  I do see him writing in his diary about all of his oh so deep feelings and crying into his pillow about the girl who wouldn't dance with him at the junior high dance.

But my real question is WTF was Juliette wearing to that benefit? That red thing with....were those honest-to-goodness, Dynasty-style shoulder pads? Are those back in style now? 

Just based on this hideous outfit we new the DRAMAH! was coming.  We're lucky there wasn't a pool available so she could get into a fight with Jade, they would yank on each other's hair and shoulder pads and end up in the pool.  

• Love 6

Luke and Jade was just, icky. Do not like them together. He was better with Sadie. When someone says they sang your song in 8th grade and kissed your poster on the wall, you are too old for them. 

Aww, I liked Luke and Jade. The actors are only 10 years apart. Obviously, it would have been gross for a 24-year-old Luke to actually make out with 14-year-old Jade, but 40-something and 30-something isn't exactly creepy. Laura Benanti's only a year older than Christina.

Edited by huahaha

But my real question is WTF was Juliette wearing to that benefit? That red thing with....were those honest-to-goodness, Dynasty-style shoulder pads? Are those back in style now? 

Straight from the Krystle Carrington collection. I think that blood red lipstick is too harsh for Hayden's coloring most of the time like last night and what she wore to her almost baby shower.

This may sound weird, but I think Juliette looks better with red lipstick when her hair is looser or softer. Red lipstick with her hair pulled back is somehow too severe.

I was so glad Christina toned down her X-Tina-ness at the Bluebird. She does have a good voice when she doesn't over-embellish as is her wont.

Sometimes I forget what a beautiful voice Christina Aguilera has. It was nice to see her sing a straightforward song – no big trills or runs – just simple and truly wonderful to listen to.

ITA - thanks to the Nashville musical people who told her to ditch the Mariah Carey imitation with the neverending melisma and just sing it straight.
  • Love 5

I'm enjoying what they're doing with Juliette. Not every mother instantly bonds and then they feel guilty for not feeling the way they're supposed to. She has post partum disconnect PLUS mommy issues from having a neglectful mother. Her nurturing instincts didn't kick in yet, but I'm confident the writers will get there with her. I really enjoy her journey complete with its missteps and backslides into who she's been for years. It wouldn't be nearly as much fun if she were instantly perfect.

• Love 4

I loved seeing Juliette back in action!  She is by far the most intriguing character on the show.  Hayden definitely has the acting skills to handle a PPD storyline.  I only hope the writers give her some good material with which to work.  

Juliette does have a hard edge, and she can be self-absorbed, but in my view, she is anything but spoiled.  No one has ever given her anything.  I think her current issues with Avery are based on issues with communication (for which they both share the blame) and trust (for which her mother must take the blame).  Juliette can't trust that Avery will be there for her because no one ever has totally had her back.  Her mother not only neglected Juliette--she allowed he to be sexually abused.  

Neither Juliette nor anyone around her gets what that did to her view of the world.  For instance, no one got why she reacted so strongly to Rayna's failure to keep her promise to host the baby shower.  Rayna had years of being her father's favorite.  Her childhood would have been filled with birthday parties fit for a princess.  Lamar may have been a crook, but he always had Rayna's back.  I doubt Juliette had even one small party.  Juliette shouldn't have gone off the way she did, but the shower meant something to her--it meant acceptance.  The same thing happened last night.  Rayna and Bucky promised that Juliette would get to sing, but when Jade upped the price, they let her down.  Juliette is always fighting because she feels as if no one else if fighting for her.

I wish they would do a storyline where Juliette connects with Avery's mom.  She could use her mix of compassion and tough love.

As for everyone else . . . .

Way to go Daphne!  I loved seeing her shine.  (And someone please save Teddy.  He can be a doofus, but he's a good dad.)

I agree with whoever said that Jeff is right about Jade.  I don't know what she is going to do, but I have the feeling it won't be good.

I love Deacon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Love 6

Juliette returns to her newborn after a three-day absence and does not even get within 10 feet of the baby? That's creepy. It's not post partum depression. It's post partum, doesn't want a baby in her life. She does not seem depressed.

I don't think we're "meant to believe" (per someone above) that she has post-partum depression.

I think we're meant to believe that she's panicked that while she was pregnant and having a baby, she lost her position at the top of the country music food chain.

Edited by remotecontrolfreak
  • Love 3

Juliette returns to her newborn after a three-day absence and does not even get within 10 feet of the baby? That's creepy. It's not post partum depression. It's post partum, doesn't want a baby in her life. She does not seem depressed.

I don't think we're "meant to believe" (per someone above) that she has post-partum depression.

I think we're meant to believe that she's panicked that while she was pregnant and having a baby, she lost her position at the top of the country music food chain.

I don't think anyone besides me used that phrase. What I actually said was:

You bring up a good point about wondering who Juliette actually is. I'm totally down with her having a tendency to be insecure and self-absorbed at times, but we are meant to believe, I think, that she has grown into a person who can be kind and not selfish (sometimes). I mean, shouldn't all the characters have some growth over three seasons? So the problem then, for S4 would be - after she is "fixed" what kind of person will she be?   

I love reading these forums and everyone's opinions!  It's funny, I got so mad at the writing on the show last night - I LOATHE what they're doing with Juliette.  Remember a couple weeks ago when she was laying in bed in some sort of onesie and being relaxed and telling Avery it's fine that he's out on the road and to stop calling her every few minutes?  And to go from that to how she was last night, totally immature and insecure and conniving and making a scene in public?   It was so annoying and over the top to me.   

I still cannot stand Jeff and think he adds absolutely nothing to the show.  When Layla made out with him I was so disappointed.  She can do so much better than him, plus the age difference still creeps me out.   

Christina Aguilera has always impressed me as a singer and she was entertaining last night as an actress as well.  But her face was somewhat frightening - she's had work done or botox or something and looked like a barbie doll - it was disconcerting.   

• Love 2

My bad, remotecontrolfreak.

But all of this confusion is why I hate this storyline! You think it's not PPD, others (like me) believe it is. I'm like Glenn. I just want the girl to be happy. 

• Love 2

Holy Hxll! How much plastic surgery has Chhristina Aguilera had????

Her cheeks and nose look like her work was done by Cher's plastic surgeon.

Too much makeup too.  I saw the contouring they were trying to do.

• Love 1

I am really enjoying Christina on the show. Not sure how long she's gonna stay, but I like her a lot. The bigger surprise is how much I am liking Luke. I think a lot, if not all, of my animosity towards that character/actor was how much I HATED him on Smash. HATE!

I don't find Daphne's feelings all that out-of-nowhere. She's known and loved Deacon for a long, long time. Her reaction when she found out that her mom and "Uncle Deacon" were now a couple was nicely nuanced. Anyways, I prefer this girl's acting over the one playing Maddie.

• Love 2

I thought Christina A. looked fabulous and I'm not a fan of her.  She's not all that far post partum herself, is she?  She is a good actress.  Who would've thought that diva would even know how to look insecure?

I do think they're giving Juliette PPD, predictably.  I wish they'd gone the other direction... She's so into motherhood she loses her interest in music.  Just less predictable.  And I like HP and am tired of them dolling her up like Maleficent to look and act like a cartoon villain.  The shoulder pads, the deep red lips and clothes, the ugly updo... all she needed was a pitchfork or smoke.

I don't care about the little girls and their little girl pain.  Or Teddy.  Or Gunner.  

It bothers me that they act like it takes three adults full time to tend a baby.  Avery and Juliette could certainly work and they could have a nanny without it being some huge child neglect issue.  Most parents work or have some life outside the home.  

I'm not thrilled about a possible PPD storyline because it's been done to death on TV, at this point a woman who doesn't suffer from it and is able to connect with her new born while still being stressed by motherhood would be something different.

I know there's a lot of harmful myths about motherhood which need to be addressed and from that perspective I can't begrudge the show for going with PPD especially in Juliet's case but I can't help but feel it's become the the goto storyline for female characters after they give birth. 

That Juliet didn't have a nanny ready to go is unbelievable to me so the whole thing from last week and now Avery's mother just comes across like the show doing drama for the sake of drama even for Nashville.

I like that Daphne was given a little story of her own even though it ended with another anvil about Teddy not being there for his daughters for much longer. It could have been set up a bit better but it's easy enough to see how she'd feel like an outsider. 

• Love 3

I liked the CA performance at the Bluebird. I wonder if the show indeed asked her to tone down the vocal antics/run-ons that CA tends to abuse. I agree that CA has an amazing voice -- one of the best ever -- when she doesn't overdo it.

I am a huge Buddy Miller fan and his harmony really helped that performance shine.

I wish they would stop endearing Luke Wheeler to me cuz it's working.  He and Daphne were very cute singing together. He is much more tolerable away from Rayna  - and singing slower emotional songs.

About Juliette: Oh, boy. I have no doubt that you guys are right about the PPD and that it will officially be diagnosed as soon as the show wants us to think that she hasn't completely lost her mind.

I feel however that her behavior last night was no different than the same ol' bitchy and selfish scene that we've witnessed before. It's her pattern. It's who she is.

I don't want to disregard or trivialize the reality of PPD, it's just that Juliette's insecurity and fragile ego allow her to easily hurt the ones closest to her and push them away.  NOTHING gets in the way of Juliette getting her way. New baby and love of her life be damned.

Gah, why hasn't Jeff left my TV screen yet?  I can't believe he actually told Layla that Jade couldn't be trusted, that she would just use people and then throw them in the trash. Well...takes one to know one, Jeff. I don't care if Jade robbed old people and kicked a dozen baby pandas, she'll never be the despicable ass you are. 

And Teddy needs to go ahead and die so Deacon can get his liver. But let's save a traumatized Daphne for next season.

• Love 3

I really think Juliette is struggling with a whole host of different issues that she didn't expect and doesn't understand. Remember, the only role model for mothering abandonded her over and over as a child, used her for money, embarrassed her publicly, slept with a guy Juliette was sleeping with and then capped it off with OD'ing on her couch. So, uh, I think she's probably got a lot of concerns about whether she's going to be just as shitty a mother as her mom was. That fear might be why she keeps the baby at arms length, because she's afraid of hurting her in some way. The one thing that she's been able to control is her career, and if your body, hormones and emotions are whirling around like a hurricane, I'm not surprised she wants to get back into a place where she feels safe and in control.

Also, it's not like she and Avery have a calm, smooth history-their marriage is new and she's terrified of being abandonded. I think all those things are constantly on her mind, hence her laying in bed staring at the ceiling while Avery sleeps. Of course he can sleep, his mom is there supporting him and acting like a good mother, Juliette has no clue what that type of security feels like.

Ya'll can all tell me to take my Juliette/Avery love and jump in a lake lol, I just can't help it.

• Love 4

I'm not thrilled about a possible PPD storyline because it's been done to death on TV, at this point a woman who doesn't suffer from it and is able to connect with her new born while still being stressed by motherhood would be something different.

I know there's a lot of harmful myths about motherhood which need to be addressed and from that perspective I can't begrudge the show for going with PPD especially in Juliet's case but I can't help but feel it's become the the goto storyline for female characters after they give birth. 

That Juliet didn't have a nanny ready to go is unbelievable to me so the whole thing from last week and now Avery's mother just comes across like the show doing drama for the sake of drama even for Nashville.

PPD is an important issue and I have little confidence that the writers of this show can present it properly. Judging by how its been handled to date - if, in fact that's what we are watching - they are missing the mark. HP is a talented actress. She can handle a PPD storyline that is written delicately and with nuance (and that avoids having viewers scream, "she's a bad mother"). However, these writers aren't able to write with nuance and thus we have a bunch of messy scenes.

And yes, it is a bit ridiculous to imagine that Juliette didn't have a nanny ready to help her from the start. It was a non-sensical step towards the PPD storyline. For me, these writers have mishandled Juliette's storyline for awhile now...probably since her hook-up with Jeff.

• Love 4

Am I the only one who thinks that Jade looks awful?  For all of the grief about Scarlett's hair over the years, that rats nest of fake black hair looked worse.  I hope to heaven she is not around much longer.   Not to mention it was some other bad wig the week before that was pink or something stupid.

And I just do not buy this "post partum" stuff at all,  It is just as much of a cliche as the fact that any person who acts a little crazy ends up being "abused" somehow.  They have already given Juliette the emotional abuse from her Mother.  

• Love 4

The big problem is that Juliette as a mom equals boring stories. She needs to be interacting with adults, not trying (and probably failing) to be a good mom. Don't take the best character on the show and isolate her from anyone she can interact with. Boring!

Edited by Midru

The big problem is that Juliette as a mom equals boring stories. She needs to be interacting with adults, not trying (and probably failing) to be a good mom. Don't take the best character on the show and isolate her from anyone she can interact with. Boring!

I just don't think that's entirely true. If written and acted well, it could be great. Some of my favorite scenes in Friday Night Lights were Tami falling apart while being exhausted, isolated, and alone with a new baby. Also, just being a parent doesn't mean no interaction with other characters. I just don't see why we always have to from 0 to extreme. I know it's ABC, but damn. I don't watch Shonda Rimes shows for a reason!

• Love 5

I love Christina and appreciate the layers in her voice on Shotgun. You can actually hear the beauty of her voice when she's not straining and shouting. I do agree that her and Luke don't look good or natural together and I prefer him (if I have to see him at all) with Sadie. That was believable, that was gradual. Christina is very short and her skin is very youthful so Luke looks especially orange and "leathery" next to her.

Layla is growing up before our very eyes. That was a point of growth for her to realize that Jeff's anger was a defence mechanism to cope with his insecurity that she would leave him, too, once he got invested in the relationship. She was the bigger person to recognize and resolve that conflict. I like that she has all this love to give from having it stored up from that loveless marriage with Will and they're giving Jeff layers that fit with this. 

Edited by anonymiss
  • Love 1

I don't think that's true. Rayna's been a Mom through the whole series and her stories haven't been boring. She interacts with adults regularly and even goes on tour, and we get some nice scenes with her kids too. Juliette could easily go through all of the postpartum issues she's exhibiting, we could see the struggle she and Avery have to right that ship, while still being active in the music business. One doesn't preclude the other, just like it doesn't in real life.

And FWIW, I think Juliette really does have it in her to be a good Mom, she just needs to trust herself a bit more and deal with the hormone hurricane. And Avery, bless his soul, needs to understand that Juliette defines herself through her work and needs that to survive. He can't expect her to be an insta-Mom.

• Love 3

I wish they would stop endearing Luke Wheeler to me cuz it's working.  He and Daphne were very cute singing together. He is much more tolerable away from Rayna  - and singing slower emotional songs.

This has really frustrated me. They've so seriously changed the character's personality that he's virtually unrecognizable from the first half of the season. He was a nice guy to a point, but also petty, pissy, controlling and manipulative. They've removed any negative character traits he had and turned him into a shell. This isn't the same guy who was willing to send his kids to boarding school for "stability" or foist a Xmas special on someone who clearly didn't want it and said as much, nor is he the guy who said to Deacon "I should have known not to go sniffing around that b*tch" when Rayna broke up with him. 

• Love 5

Well, character re-writing is what they do.  Remember the asshole that was season one Avery?  Now Jeff and Luke are getting the sweet, tender guy makeover.  

I don't understand why they make these lead characters fly around in private jets and live in mansions but have no security and no domestic help besides Juliette's Emily and their managers.  I guess it makes them more interesting, to see them do stuff like lose sleep over babies and pick the kids up from school and plan weddings and parties.  

And yet, Clemgo, when Rayna, Deacon, and the girls walk into that benefit, Luke sees them from the red carpet, puts a possessive arm around Jade, and pulls her into him. I thought that was a nice touch. Yeah, he's not a wife beater and he has plenty of good qualities, but he's still a possessive asshole with an ego, especially where Rayna Is concerned.

Plus, he's a famewhore...Jade's likely a famewhore...they're actually fairly well suited in that way.

He's not a villain, and singing with Daphne was delightful. But he's still who he is, and I just don't like that kind of man.

• Love 6

Wow a lot to say about this episode.

First so happy Juliette is back:)  I loved her yelling at Jade.  Who bids 500,000 on someone that barely know?  She did it to piss off Juliette and then she got pissed off Juliette. 

Love Will and Kevin:)

Ehh to Jade and Luke...this seems forced and I am starting to like Luke and I already hate Jade.

I have never been a fan of Layla and Jeff and I still am not.  Jeff speaks to Layla horribly.  It really sketches me out how many people think this is acceptable or that this is a love story.  I am not the biggest fan of Layla's character because the writing has always been so sketchy with her.  However I do think she deserves better than that loser.  Rayna has him pegged.  Everything is about Jeff.  Jade could be the biggest schemer on the planet but she is super star offering Layla a shot at some exposure. As her manager, she could have taken it and he could have negotiated a good contract and looked out for her.   In addition, since when do managers flat out tell people they work for "no" like they are their dad.  Girl needs to get away from that crap. 

Poor Deacon:(

OMG What is wrong with Teddy?

• Love 3

Well, character re-writing is what they do.  Remember the asshole that was season one Avery?

I do, but season one Avery also traveled a fairly clearly outlined trajectory from asshole to decent guy. They took him through some success, pulling away from his band, and getting knocked down a couple of pegs before coming around to where he is now. I could buy that transition. I don't buy Luke's because one day he was an asshat and the next he wasn't. Need story to make it seem real. Makes me wonder what they do in the writer's room.

• Love 4

And yet, Clemgo, when Rayna, Deacon, and the girls walk into that benefit, Luke sees them from the red carpet, puts a possessive arm around Jade, and pulls her into him. I thought that was a nice touch. Yeah, he's not a wife beater and he has plenty of good qualities, but he's still a possessive asshole with an ego, especially where Rayna Is concerned.

Maybe. I saw insecurity there, that he needed to prove that he was moving on to Rayna so he made a show of being with Jade. The rest of the time I'm not getting anything but "nice guy who was hurt by Rayna" and "Everybody's friend." It just feels like a total character rewrite to me, to make us buy Luke as a decent fellow that we'd all like to date - and no, I don't go for possessive asshats either.

• Love 1

I suppose the writers could argue Luke being jilted and Jeff being fired triggered their own character redemptions.  For me, Avery's was just as abrupt and inexplicable.  Typically, you don't just go from being an abusive ass to a dream man because of a failed recording contract or whatever his story was.  Most people probably go from being an abusive ass to a bitter, abusive ass.  Heh.

This has really frustrated me. They've so seriously changed the character's personality that he's virtually unrecognizable from the first half of the season. He was a nice guy to a point, but also petty, pissy, controlling and manipulative. They've removed any negative character traits he had and turned him into a shell. This isn't the same guy who was willing to send his kids to boarding school for "stability" or foist a Xmas special on someone who clearly didn't want it and said as much, nor is he the guy who said to Deacon "I should have known not to go sniffing around that b*tch" when Rayna broke up with him. 

I'm indifferent to Luke at this point. I see that they're trying to "redeem" him, but I don't buy it. He had one night out with Will and Gunnar and then woke up the next morning a new man. Whatever. I would have liked to see him and Sadie slowly confronting their relationship hang-ups together. 

I have never been a fan of Layla and Jeff and I still am not.  Jeff speaks to Layla horribly.  It really sketches me out how many people think this is acceptable or that this is a love story.  I am not the biggest fan of Layla's character because the writing has always been so sketchy with her.  However I do think she deserves better than that loser.  Rayna has him pegged.  Everything is about Jeff.  Jade could be the biggest schemer on the planet but she is super star offering Layla a shot at some exposure. As her manager, she could have taken it and he could have negotiated a good contract and looked out for her.   In addition, since when do managers flat out tell people they work for "no" like they are their dad.  Girl needs to get away from that crap. 

I do, but season one Avery also traveled a fairly clearly outlined trajectory from asshole to decent guy. They took him through some success, pulling away from his band, and getting knocked down a couple of pegs before coming around to where he is now. I could buy that transition. I don't buy Luke's because one day he was an asshat and the next he wasn't. Need story to make it seem real. Makes me wonder what they do in the writer's room.

Avery is their biggest success story, as far as selling radical change in a character. Actually, all of the characters who have gone through a significant shift (Scarlett, Juliette, Avery, Layla) went through a stage where they hit bottom and had to climb their way back up and those experiences made them better (Juliette's current situation notwithstanding). They don't have to go to this extreme to show change, watching Rayna return to who she was pre-Luke has been nice and she didn't lose anything (besides having to pay for the wedding).

But what I believe they're trying to do with Jeff is retcon the character by bringing in Jade. She's his pass for being a complete asshole since his character was introduced. Sorry, but I no longer care why he's a horrible person. I'm content with the knowledge that he is. My memory is long and bitter and I'll never forget or forgive the things he's done over the past two seasons. He has never done anything that has not been self-serving and a large majority of his actions have been downright diabolical. I don't even believe him warning Layla about Jade was done solely for her best interest. The writers would have a better chance of success at redeeming Kylie. 

• Love 3

Maybe. I saw insecurity there, that he needed to prove that he was moving on to Rayna so he made a show of being with Jade. The rest of the time I'm not getting anything but "nice guy who was hurt by Rayna" and "Everybody's friend." It just feels like a total character rewrite to me, to make us buy Luke as a decent fellow that we'd all like to date - and no, I don't go for possessive asshats either.

I think it was always about Rayna and Deacon for him, though. I think that's what the show was trying to say with that flashback and the Ferris wheel story. Both Teddy and Luke wanted desperately to win Rayna away from Deacon. They felt like Deacon wasn't good enough for her, he was a drunk and a loser, and they could love her better, etc. (And of course, the implication of that is, "She doesn't know what she needs, so I must show her.") I also think they believed they deserved her and Deacon didn't deserve her. Because in many ways, they see Rayna as a prize to meet their own needs: the better man will get her to fall in love with him.

That's all bullshit, of course, but I think a lot of men view women that way and a lot of women find that quality attractive. So it's not that Luke is a traditionally bad guy. He never really was. He was trying to get Rayna to love him, and the more he saw that she didn't in the way he felt they both deserved, the more frustrated, desperate, and angry he got. And to be fair, Rayna did lie to him (and herself) over and over again.

Deacon, on the other hand, is both completely secure in his relationship with Rayna, whatever it is at any given moment, and he sees her as someone who complements him: he's not the better man because he won her; he becomes a better man because of her. Sure, he got frustrated with her lying and hiding and that hurt him very much, but being with her doesn't validate him as a man like it would Luke or Teddy. He just loves who she is and he wants that person to share his life...which, of course, in a cruel twist of irony for Luke, makes Deacon the better man.

Edited by madam magpie
  • Love 3

Holy Hxll! How much plastic surgery has Chhristina Aguilera had????

Her cheeks and nose look like her work was done by Cher's plastic surgeon.

I agree. I want to like her character (and she does have a great voice), but I'm distracted by how fake she looks.  The artificially plumped lips, the weird over-contouring of her face ... even the smoothness of her skin looks fake (but it might just be the caked-on makeup). And those wigs.  I guess she technically looks "good" by certain modern standards, but there's nothing natural about her at all. I guess that's realistic for the pop-star career that her character has, though.  

• Love 2

I agree. I want to like her character (and she does have a great voice), but I'm distracted by how fake she looks.  The artificially plumped lips, the weird over-contouring of her face ... even the smoothness of her skin looks fake (but it might just be the caked-on makeup). And those wigs.  I guess she technically looks "good" by certain modern standards, but there's nothing natural about her at all. I guess that's realistic for the pop-star career that her character has, though.  

I have no clue what y'all mean when you talk about "contouring" make-up?  I really did not notice Jade's make-up because I was so distracted by the Elvira wig.

• Love 1

I think it was always about Rayna and Deacon for him, though. I think that's what the show was trying to say with that flashback and the Ferris wheel story. Both Teddy and Luke wanted desperately to win Rayna away from Deacon. They felt like Deacon wasn't good enough for her, he was a drunk and a loser, and they could love her better, etc. (And of course, the implication of that is, "She doesn't know what she needs, so I must show her.") I also think they believed they deserved her and Deacon didn't deserve her. Because in many ways, they see Rayna as a prize to meet their own needs: the better man will get her to fall in love with him.

That's all bullshit, of course, but I think a lot of men view women that way and a lot of women find that quality attractive. So it's not that Luke is a traditionally bad guy. He never really was. He was trying to get Rayna to love him, and the more he saw that she didn't in the way he felt they both deserved, the more frustrated, desperate, and angry he got. And to be fair, Rayna did lie to him (and herself) over and over again.

Deacon, on the other hand, is both completely secure in his relationship with Rayna, whatever it is at any given moment, and he sees her as someone who complements him: he's not the better man because he won her; he becomes a better man because of her. Sure, he got frustrated with her lying and hiding and that hurt him very much, but being with her doesn't validate him as a man like it would Luke or Teddy. He just loves who she is and he wants that person to share his life...which, of course, in a cruel twist of irony for Luke, makes Deacon the better man.

MM - If I could have given you 10 thumbs up I would have done it gladly because your post is perfectly written. Both Teddy/Luke always thought Deacon wasn't good enough for Rayna. Teddy won the prize first, only because of the situation Rayna was in and everyone telling her what a great father he would make, and that Deacon couldn't be trusted to stay sober even if he knew he was going to be a father. Luke tried the second time to win the prize, this time away from a sober Deacon, not knowing that Rayna and Deacon had started a relationship before he found out Maddie was his daughter, and because of the betrayal from the only person he thought would never keep such a secret from him he fell off the wagon, just one time.

You say it so perfectly I just ramble

Finally watched it. WOW I thought that was a phenomenal episode. I usually watch at least 80% for the music, but this one was so good even without a lot of songs. 

The fact that there is all this conflict on here about Juliette shows that Nashville is doing something really interesting with a really complex character. The storyline of a young woman getting pregnant at a not-ideal time and then marvelously immediately rising to the occasion is cliche and just would not be true for this character. This is honest and refreshing in my opinion. And I really liked Avery's mother mentioning that Juliette was all alone while he was on tour!! Come on Avery, don't assume traditional gender roles with Juliette Barnes. 

God I love Layla. I did not see this coming but I'm rooting for her so hard. PLEASE dump Jeff, girl!!

• Love 2

Well, I spent the whole episode waiting for Juliette to bolt and abandon Avery with the baby. I think it's interesting that they are choosing to show this aspect of post partum. It might not be compelling tv, but I think failure to bond initially with the baby is a topic most shows would shy away from. It's a legitimate problem for a lot of women stemming from a variety of things (hormones, sleep deprivation, lack of good role model in their childhood, etc) and there is a lot of stigma and shame that goes along with it. I think it is one of those things that as it's talked about more in society, it will lead more people to share their experiences and feel less alone.

That being said, Juliette was in full on bitch mode, just being outright MEAN to everyone in her path. I wish that she could be in public the version of herself she is with Avery (well, pre-baby, anyway).

Kept waiting for the other shoe to drop with Deacon. I really hope he doesn't get killed off at the same time as Teddy goes to jail. Then the girls will go from having too many father figures to none in one fell swoop. But they won't do that right? I mean, it's not a Shonda Rimes show, so that gives me hope.

• Love 1

I have no clue what y'all mean when you talk about "contouring" make-up?  

http://www.beautylish.com/a/vxgzv/kevyn-aucoin-makeup-lesson-contouring

Or do a Google Image search on 'contouring makeup'.  

I don't know who does JLo's, the Kardashians' and Christina's but they must spend over an hour on it.  That's probably why I think they look great.  I'm admiring the artwork moreso than them.  I bet some of these celebs can walk around totally anonymous if they wear no makeup. . 

Edited by Guest