Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E12: The Tandyman Can

I checked out on this show several episodes ago and I just happened to watch if after Family Guy tonight -- and I still have no idea how this show was renewed for a 2nd season.  

Phil/Tandy is intolerable in so many ways, and the show is just not funny in the least.  And I hate what they have done with Todd, he's basically turning into the new Phil/Tandy.  And the Phil/Tandy naming is just stupid.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 2

HOLY COW! What an episode!!!!  And by the way, I am not going to call Phil, Tandy! I will call him Phil Sr! And the other one Phil Jr!

Phil Sr and his ball buddies: How is my snake?! What?! ROFL!

Phil Jr and Carol: WOW! I did not see that coming!!! Carol has sex with Phil Jr?!!?! And they are not even married!!!! Oh Carol!!!!  And the sex talk, Phil Jr was into it hahaha!

Todd: Oh Todd!!! Telling Melissa, she can't hang out with Phil Jr?!!? Now unless she cheats on you with him, you have no right forbidding her to hang out with him!   You are an idiot! Especially when you think she is going to break up with you, so you break up with her instead! DAMN!

Edited by sonyab
  • Love 2

HOLY COW! What an episode!!!!  And by the way, I am not going to call Phil, Tandy! I will call him Phil Sr! And the other one Phil Jr!

The show itself is now calling him Tandy (in the preview description) , so I guess we're allowed.

I predicted that new Phil would fall for Carol. Well, she is the most thoughtful of all the females...hahaha.... not really...she's just the most fleshed-out character (besides Tandy).

I still love this dumb show.

• Love 4

"The show itself is now calling him Tandy (in the preview description) , so I guess we're allowed."

Hahaha. Yeah, but I don't like calling him Tandy.

"I predicted that new Phil would fall for Carol. Well, she is the most thoughtful of all the females...hahaha.... not really...she's just the most fleshed-out character (besides Tandy)."

I was thinking that New Phil was gay, but then it looked like he is interested in Carol! And boy is he EVER! Hahaha!

"I still love this dumb show."

Hahahaha me too! :)

• Love 1

I just loved how into camping sex new Phil was. 

Melissa intrigues me.  I like that she dumped  Todd once he foolishly tried to demand she not hang out with Phil.  The irony is, I don't think she is interested in Phil.  Unlike the other two women, she seemed happy that new Phil seemed into Carol. 

I still love this show but next season we need to move away from "new meat walks into a bar and everyone loses their minds." 

• Love 3

Phil Jr and Carol: WOW! I did not see that coming!!! Carol has sex with Phil Jr?!!?! And they are not even married!!!! Oh Carol!!!!  And the sex talk, Phil Jr was into it hahaha!

I think Carol's previous objection to sex outside of marriage had to do with procreation. Procreation seems to be off the table for the time being, although I'm not yet certain they won't have Carol pregnant soon.

After several episodes of Carol getting dumped on by the original Phil, I'm happy to see her being appreciated. Go Carol!

Melissa intrigues me.  I like that she dumped  Todd once he foolishly tried to demand she not hang out with Phil.  The irony is, I don't think she is interested in Phil.  Unlike the other two women, she seemed happy that new Phil seemed into Carol. 

I still love this show but next season we need to move away from "new meat walks into a bar and everyone loses their minds." 

I agree about Melissa. I like that all along she wasn't interest in competing with Carol. I also get the sense her frustration with Todd is completely related to his own behavior and not her desire to get with Phil. I do think ending the relationship so quickly was a little short sighted. It's not like she can really date around, so why not try and work on things with the guy she really likes? Yeah they need to stop adding characters for a little while. I want to see how these few deal with each other.

Still not all that funny but at least this one wasn't painfully unwatchable.  I'm kinda onboard with New Phil giving Old Phil the heave - not sure it'd make the show better but it sure wouldn't make it worse.

I can't figure out why Tandy-Phil would want to still be in Tucson w/ this group when it's clear nobody, outside of Todd, can stand him.  It's obvious now that there are others out there so if I were him I would venture out and go search for a new home and new people.  If nothing else he can always come back to Tucson.

Damn Carol, you locked new-Phil down and fast, even though it seemed that they were leading us to believe he was gay.

• Love 1

Tl;dr this show follows an annoying cycle and doesnt let the main character get anywhere

This show continues to piss me off. I may be the only one, but (dispite his compulsive lying) I can relate with Phil. I keep rooting for him to watch the same cycle happen over and over and over. A new girl comes (hope for Phil) Phil trys to capitalize( I know he can) he gets caught (that's why you shouldn't be stupid..) Then just as he begins to almost get to where he wants a new guy comes. When Todd came I was like, okay that's fair. Phil shouldn't have had fireworks and Todd's great. But I can't blame phil for marrying carol , but he was forced! Ugh then he's blessed again. 2 more women come. He has a chance! Then he lies and does stupid things.he. Gets. caught. Again. Oh well he almost fixes things. But knowing the trend I called this one! They brought an attractive black male into the mix(yes I called it. I said they needed to bring a neyo type guy into the mix (a strong black man who is intelligent and was gunna swoop on the 2 chicks)) but they went too far and made it ridiculous. I was content with Todd swooping Melissa and I was content with the new guy coming and swooping carol. But naming him phil and thus putting phil #1 at even more of a disadvantage. Idk I guess this is the intent of the choice? Making regular joes feel for phil? But why!

• Love 1

I think old Phil constantly finds himself in the same situation because of flaws that he can't overcome. It shows it's not the circumstance; it's him. He didn't screw things up with Melissa because he was already married. He screwed things up with Melissa because he's that guy who constantly needs to push to far. 

I think Old Phil is better off trying to make things work long term with this group. He traveled across the country and found no one. Old Phil does have some redeeming qualities and I think he'll do better once he calms down a bit and people can see those redeeming qualities past the qualities that make Phil the guy who is always trying to push things too far.

• Love 3

I think Tandy will always be that guy who gets carried away and fucks shit up for himself. Just like Lucy would always want to be in Ricky's show, just like Gilligan would always ruin any attempt to escape the island. That's the joke. It seems like other characters might start showing their "fuck-up" sides as well now, though. The two new women seem just as thirsty as Tandy, and now we've got Tod acting the fool out of jealousy. I like that. It's not that Tandy is fucked in the head, though he is. It's that we all are, in some ways, and in a lot of ways relating to sex and relationships. Even when we're the last people on the planet, we'll still be this way, and it's funny, IMO.

And I still can't get over how Carol has sex. Has anyone tried this? Is this a thing? Because this cracks me up every time.

Edited by Liqidclark
  • Love 4

I think Carol's previous objection to sex outside of marriage had to do with procreation. Procreation seems to be off the table for the time being, although I'm not yet certain they won't have Carol pregnant soon.

Oh! I thought it was because of sex! :) She might be the first one to get pregnant, you never know!! :)

Planting a Jalapeno farm - HA!!

Phil1 is so needy for attention but he goes about it all wrong and turns people off.  His best relationship is with his balls.

Phil2 and Carol doing the camping sex cracked us up - such a contrast to with Phil1 - I'm happy for Carol.

I'm with Phil2 move somewhere that you can actually raise some crops - raid new stores while your at it.

Friggin Todd needs to settle down a little bit with Melissa - I understand his insecurities - but geez nothing like running someone off.

Love this quirky show.

• Love 3

Aw crap. My cable schedule lied to me and said that this program was not on last night.

FYI: I have an estimate for procreation #'s.  80 people as a base is a decent bare minimum if they and their offspring are willing to submit to aggressive social engineering (i.e. you must breed with this person even if you don't like/love/aren't attracted to/aren't capable of being attracted to the opposite gender/want to be childless). 160 is a better number. Source http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn1936-magic-number-for-space-pioneers-calculated.html#.VT7m9bnQOM8

For whatever reason of anything I've ever googled I'm convinced that this "How many people would it take to re-populate.." is the thing that will get me the attention of the NSA. So if I'm not here next week, know that I have no regrets.

Edited by Monty9
  • Love 11

Wow "Phil" fell for Carol!

So, Carol was like "put it in there now" and Phil replied "is there now", sounds like he's small in that department or not? or that the way she plays?

Also maybe the horny Aussie and other lady maybe want some Tandyman action since "big" Phil doesn't pay attention to them.

If Todd and Tandy doesn't ruin it more and try to kill him and fail...

But the show could come back to it's original name, while Todd tries to kill Phil, he also receives a mortal wound so our Tandyman is alone, but now with 4 women!

• Love 1

They are just pretending to have sex so Tandy will get jealous for carol. Black Phil and Carol are now super good friends and are talking about everything, she told about Tandy, and now they have some scheme to try and make them togheter again.

Phil is soo gay, i mean he cleans everything, gets a shower, wears a pink scarf, loves carols kitty nails, i mean don't you guys see the hints :P

Man i love this show, my favorite this year.  I only wished that Tandy would grow his beard back and that they stopped all the cookie cutter comedy stuff. first episode made you love Tandy, but the moment he got rid off the beard the series went straight to typical comedy style shows.

Just wished they would make something really special as they have a ton to work with in season 2, (And for the LOVE OF GOD ! TANDY,, stop lying all the time and relax XP)

Amazing episode but boring actors exept Tandy Carol and Todd, i feel like the rest are just place holders. and when are we gonna break that wall and start showing their past life.

• Love 1

Considering OriginalPhil doesn't seem to like any of these people, nor he them, I was surprised when NewPhil was all "but Tuscon's the stupidest place to live now" OriginalPhil didn't just tell them/let them leave. Certainly by now he's got to realize there may be more people and they may show up any day now. So if he's as miserable as he seems to be, OriginalPhil, ie, he who wanted to live in Tucson in the first place, ought to stick around but everyone else can hightail it somewhere else. Like SoCal.

I mean, I know then there'd be no show but seriously would make more sense if they were all "thanks for bringing us together, but, bye". And he'd be alone again. Which to me was much more interesting than all this "who is sleeping with everyone and who is jealous and bitching about it" stuff.

Edited by theatremouse
  • Love 1

FYI: I have an estimate for procreation #'s.  80 people as a base is a decent bare minimum if they and their offspring are willing to submit to aggressive social engineering (i.e. you must breed with this person even if you don't like/love/aren't attracted to/aren't capable of being attracted to the opposite gender/want to be childless). 160 is a better number. Source http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn1936-magic-number-for-space-pioneers-calculated.html#.VT7m9bnQOM8

Well, Mary Steenburgen's character should probably be taken out of the reproductive equation since she is 62 years old. (Looking damn good!)

I'm surprised that Carol or Melissa aren't pregnant yet. It would be funny if Carol was, since then it would be a question of is it Tandy's or is it newPhil's. Which could be solved pretty quickly once it was born, which is maybe why they made newPhil AA.

Wasn't the cow already downstairs last week???

Edited by drafan
  • Love 1

Well, Mary Steenburgen's character should probably be taken out of the equation since she is 62 years old.

WHAAAAAAAA?

I like her character, probably because of the actress. I was reading a review that said the show should define her character and the Australian character better, but I don't have a problem with Steenburgen's character. (Maybe it's a bad sign that I can't remember her name.) However, the Australian gal is really boring to me. I don't know who the actress is, Cleopatra something, but she doesn't bring much to the show.

I do like this show and all it's quirks.  I can forgive a lot of the omissions of what concerns there'd be in a real world post-apocalypse (where are the dead?  why are there no traffic jams of broken down would be plague escapees? how are they getting gas for generators/cars? and many more).  However, the one thing I can't forgive is the cow. 

She's been living upstairs in a house for a while now, and apparently she's being fed so she can be milked.  If you feed an animal, it will need to defecate at some point.  So, there's bound to be a pile of manure stinking the place up every morning when the survivors show up for coffee/cereal additive, right?  Even if someone is doing poop clean up as well as feeding the cow, there is going to be cow poop stench!  They all complained about the garbage pool smell, but NO mention of cow poop? And I doubt that poor animal is just staying put in one spot 24/7, even if they closed the door.  I'd think the room would be more trashed as well as filthy and stinky. Why is everybody lingering in there to chat over coffee and Cheerios?  Not sure why the cow situation is what bothers me the most in a fantasy based absurdest comedy, but it does.

• Love 3

I've been in a dairy barn; trust me, cow poop is one of the most revolting things ever.  But I am pretty sure that the reason it isn't mentioned is that it's a trope of the show that, other than the general lack of people, the only things that go wrong are due to Phil... and the cow pooping wouldn't be Phil's fault.

I'm wondering what the plan is for the newer arrivals (the two ladies and New!Phil), seeing as they're listed as guest stars rather than regular cast.

• Love 1

WHAAAAAAAA?

I like her character, probably because of the actress. I was reading a review that said the show should define her character and the Australian character better, but I don't have a problem with Steenburgen's character. (Maybe it's a bad sign that I can't remember her name.) However, the Australian gal is really boring to me. I don't know who the actress is, Cleopatra something, but she doesn't bring much to the show.

Nonononono !!! I mean the REPRODUCTIVE equation.  She is great. Agree about the sidekick tho....quite boring.

Phew. fixed it above.

Edited by drafan

Still feeling this is "Whoops II" instead of TLMOE, 6 characters in that one, last survivors, except that was a nuclear holocaust instead.

4 males, 2 females, similar situations

She's been living upstairs in a house for a while now, and apparently she's being fed so she can be milked.  If you feed an animal, it will need to defecate at some point.  So, there's bound to be a pile of manure stinking the place up every morning when the survivors show up for coffee/cereal additive, right?  Even if someone is doing poop clean up as well as feeding the cow, there is going to be cow poop stench!  They all complained about the garbage pool smell, but NO mention of cow poop? And I doubt that poor animal is just staying put in one spot 24/7, even if they closed the door.  I'd think the room would be more trashed as well as filthy and stinky. Why is everybody lingering in there to chat over coffee and Cheerios?  Not sure why the cow situation is what bothers me the most in a fantasy based absurdest comedy, but it does.

The other thing left out of this is water -- milking cows need a lot of water, and unless someone was lugging jugs of water upstairs on a regular basis that cow would be dead of hydration.  There wasn't even a water source in the pen that newPhil built.  A milking cow needs 30 to 50 gallons of water a day -- more since its in the desert.  And that water creates a lot of cow pee as well.

• Love 1

I keep getting the feeing that this show is the Bizarro Universe's answer to HBO's The Leftovers.

I flove this!

It's a trope of the show that, other than the general lack of people, the only things that go wrong are due to Phil—and the cow pooping wouldn't be Phil's fault.

Some shows have a nitpicking thread, but The Last Man on Earth is almost nothing but nits. Thanks for helping me reframe it—the incessant need for suspension of disbelief was getting exhausting!

Edited by editorgrrl
  • Love 2

This show continues to piss me off. I may be the only one, but (dispite his compulsive lying) I can relate with Phil. I keep rooting for him...

You are not the only one! I posted previously about how I was rooting for him to get away with his skinny dipping shenanigans. It is definitely frustrating to see him keep getting thwarted. And this is a tough balance for the show's writers, when there are so many people getting super annoyed with Phil for being (in their eyes) a scumbag...but then on the other hand, you have people like us who are pulling for him, and would like to see him get the occasional win. Tricky!

They are just pretending to have sex so Tandy will get jealous for carol. Black Phil and Carol are now super good friends and are talking about everything, she told about Tandy, and now they have some scheme to try and make them togheter again.

Phil is soo gay, i mean he cleans everything, gets a shower, wears a pink scarf, loves carols kitty nails, i mean don't you guys see the hints :P

Ohhhh... I think you might be right! Like others commenting above, I thought they were setting us up for him to be gay, but then when they were doing Carol's weird sex talk stuff and were clearly in bed together, I thought it was just network family hour modesty that didn't show us more. But this totally makes sense. And Carol sure did look foxy in that dress when she was taking over the pie.

I've been in a dairy barn; trust me, cow poop is one of the most revolting things ever. But I am pretty sure that the reason it isn't mentioned is that it's a trope of the show that, other than the general lack of people, the only things that go wrong are due to Phil... and the cow pooping wouldn't be Phil's fault.

I'm wondering what the plan is for the newer arrivals (the two ladies and New!Phil), seeing as they're listed as guest stars rather than regular cast.

Sometimes that's just a contractual thing. I have seen characters be listed as "special appearance by" for years on a show.

And you say the cow pooping would not be Phil's fault, but didn't they actually hand wave in that direction, by having one of the complaints on the complaint board (yes, I freeze framed it) be that Phil had not properly cleaned up the cow's room?

Edited by SlackerInc
  • Love 2

If they were faking sex, why would they get naked and have Carol lie on top of him?  Why not just open the windows and start doing the sex sounds? 

NewPhil and Carol's sex scene played out exactly like oldPhil and Carol's sex scene.  Carol is on top of NewOldPhil, naked and not moving.  And based on what I've read about that first sex scene, the no moving thing is a product of FOX not wanting them to be too risque.

You are not the only one! I posted previously about how I was rooting for him to get away with his skinny dipping shenanigans. It is definitely frustrating to see him keep getting thwarted. And this is a tough balance for the show's writers, when there are so many people getting super annoyed with Phil for being (in their eyes) a scumbag...but then on the other hand, you have people like us who are pulling for him, and would like to see him get the occasional win. Tricky!

I think it depends on who the writers feel beholden to.   They can either go after a wide audience in how they write the show.  Or they can write the show they want to write and hope the audience comes along.

I'm not opposed to oldPhil winning once in a while. I just don't want him to win while being a lying asshole. That's one of the reasons I like Melissa.  Some see as a buzzkill.  I like that there's a character who sees through Phil's lies all the time. 

Sometimes that's just a contractual thing. I have seen characters be listed as "special appearance by" for years on a show.

I also wonder if it's related to when they joined the show.  I believe the last three additions were over half way through the season.  Or they don't want to commit to these characters in case their budget only allows for so many and they'd eventually like to add new blood.

• Love 1
(edited)

Friggin' Phil!

I do enjoy this silly show. Melissa cracked me up on the back of that truck, she certainly was having a good time. And, the-lunatic-formerly-known-as-Phil...seriously, with the snake? ;)

Oh and, I think New Phil and Carol were having actual relations, not simply pretending to have sex. That's what the-lunatic-formerly-known-as-Phil would do, not Carol.

So, yeah, that cow being stuck upstairs is completely ridiculous, but those seeds Phil was planting also were most certainly not jalapeno seeds either. I think the ridiculous nature of the show is what's kinda charming about it. There's some pretty unrealistic and silly shenanigans on Gilligan's Island and I Love Lucy...

Edited by DittyDotDot
  • Love 2