Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

There are also legal ramifications because they need to make sure they secure the trademark, because if they don’t, anyone can get their hands on it and license whatever they want with it.  That’s what happened with the Redskins.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, kariyaki said:

MLB is also switching uniform contractors from Majestic to Under Armour in the 2019 season. Maybe it’s cheaper to wait until then?

I think, at least in part, it is a money thing.  Merchandisers and marketers make decisions on uniforms and souvenirs many months in advance of the upcoming season.  Team uniforms are already being manufactured and it would be very expensive to stop  and try to re-do everything before spring training begins in two weeks.

And, yes, I also think that we Cleveland fans are going to be seeing a lot of nostalgia advertising during the upcoming season reminding us that this is our last chance to get merchandise with the Chief Wahoo logo.  That this was announced just prior to the start of the last baseball season for Chief Wahoo is no accident, either.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, MyAimIsTrue said:

Welcome @green!  Pull up a comfy chair and make yourself at home.

Thanks though will busy soon elsewhere.  Tomorrow at 6 pm eastern Yahoo opens it's fantasy baseball leagues and I have 4 different dynasty teams to tend to there, hah.  All free but all highly competitive and in pretty hard leagues.  Yes, fantasy baseball is a hobby of mine so I am a walking stat machine for half the year, heh.

It amuses me to hear stories like the Yankees were going to build up from the farm system...and then Stanton became available.

I mean, when you dangle a fish like that in front of Cashman, he absolutely cannot help himself.

I actually don’t care about Stanton.  I just want Judge to be ok and back to form.

• Love 1

I'm super excited baseball is almost back. Wish list/interests:

-born in Toronto and a current resident, so I am a Jays fan first and I hope they can at least do better than last year. Yes my expectations are low. Other thoughts: I like Stroman a lot, including his arrogance but he is starting to take it too far, such as his comments about the arbitration. Dude you still got a significant raise and the difference was $400k. Give me a break and show some class.  He also posted on Twitter a cartoon in which he was carrying Toronto (the city) on his shoulder a while back. Seriously? Dude you may do a lot for the Jays and be an awesome pitcher, but you are not carrying Toronto. We were here long before you and will continue to be here long after. 

-Dodgers- I like the Dodgers but not sure they will do as well this year as last yr. I think their starting rotation is kind of a weak spot, except for Kershaw who I love, but they don't seem to see it as a problem. I just find their other starting pitchers are inconsistent and even when performing well can't maintain it for long stretches. And Ryu didn't seem good all of last year. 

-Brewers- I am kind of interested in this team bc I like underdogs and they seem determined to compete, so it should be fun and I'm rooting for them

-I'm neutral on the Yankees, but am hoping for some good games v. the Red Sox and Astros. I would probably root Yankees.  I'm hoping to see the Yankees when they come to Toronto at some point. That being said, I am already sick of hearing about Judge/Stanton and Ohtani with the Angels. 

-Cleveland I watch off and on and I hope they do well, but I'm not sure they can do better than they have already

Let the games begin!

• Love 3

Jake Odurizzi traded from TB to Minnesota, no info yet on their get back but assures Brent Honeywell will be on the TB starting rotation right away this season.  TB also DFA'ed Corey Dickerson so they have 10 days to trade him now or he will have to pass through waivers.   Rays also got Cron from Angels for "player to be named later" who sure as hell gets traded a lot, heh.  Rays GM is going all crazy tonight with the "let's make a deal" stuff.

Meanwhile Scott Boras' first guy goes off the board.  Eric Hosmer signs 8 (8 ?!?) year deal with San Diego for 140 million total I believe it was.

9 hours ago, MyAimIsTrue said:

First Lorenzo Cain and now Eric Hosmer.  It makes me sad to see the dismantling of the Royals because they brought such joy to their 2015 WS winning season, and I'm not even a KC fan (though I did root for them that year).

I remember during that WS that KC was being praised as a perennial contender for the next x amount of years with the style of play they use. Well that didn't happen and I doubt it will happen with any team, even the Astros and the current darling NYY. With injuries, and some teams not having big funds for big time players I don't see any dynasties in the near future. Maybe a back to back with Houston but not sure that 's a given. BTW I really wish the Mets had won that WS so that David Wright could have retired with a ring. https://www.amazinavenue.com/2018/2/18/17024102/mets-morning-news-david-wright-rehab-mickey-callaway-sharks

Still, I'm so glad MLB is back and we can all get behind all of out undefeated teams.

• Love 1

Hey, it could be worse.

Mets Fan: Spring Training! Time to turn the page and get beyond the bullshit of the last few years!

News: The Mets' GM thinks Tim Tebow can make it to the majors.

Mets Fan: Fuuuuuuuuuccccck. Even with the level of bad luck and injuries for this team, that's not going to happen. That's a non-story. He'll give up the dream, and the media will actually focus on the team itself.

News: Okay. The manager and about a dozen players went fishing for sharks . . . strictly catch-and-release . . .

Mets Fan: Cool. Team bonding. As opposed to the new Yankees, who compared bank accounts and jockstraps.

News: . . . and looked who joined them!

Mets Fan: (slowly walking to wall, taking pictures off the hook, repeatedly bangs head against it)

• Love 3
31 minutes ago, smittykins said:

Eric Hosmer will wear No. 30 with the Padres in memory of Yordano Ventura. 

Probably prompted by the fact that #35 is a retired number by the Padres.

All 30 MLB teams to wear Marjory Stoneman Douglas HS caps this weekend

Major League Baseball players will pay tribute to the victims of the Parkland, Fla., school shooting by wearing Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School black caps before games during spring training this week.

The players will then have the option of wearing the caps during the games. Most of the games will be played Friday, but since the Royals and Rangers are off that day, they will wear their hats Saturday.  According to MLB.com, players will then autograph the hats and they will go on the auction block to raise money for he Broward Education Foundation, which will benefit the official Stoneman Douglas Victims' Fund.

• Love 6

Watching Red Sox-Rays on MLB Network while listening to Yankees-Pirates on the At Bat app.

*notobsessedatall

ETA: I see that Scott Brosius is now third-base coach for the Mariners. 

Edited by smittykins
  • Love 5