Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

Heard about Thor on the radio. Second-worst news I've heard about the team after departing from a comic book convention. First was searching XM on the final day of the season in 2008, having a rueful laugh at the Mets blowing a playoff shot again . . . and during the final game at Shea Stadium, no less.

I heard Rendone (sic?) got 9 RBI. Is that a record against the Mets? Only other player I can think of is Tuffy Rhodes.

I'd gloat that all three of my teams won today, but then that wouldn't be right because of Synndergaard's injury.

I hope Noah is better soon, and just say maybe he shouldn't have gained that 15 lbs of muscle so he could throw harder during the off season.

On 4/29/2017 at 3:45 PM, mojoween said:

Aaron Judge is young enough to be my child so I cannot wish for him to be my new baseball boyfriend because that's gross.  But if I were younger...

It is my understanding that Baseball Boyfriends exist in a dimension outside of mere temporal concerns. As long as you don't, like, stalk him, I can see no problem whatsoever!☺

• Love 6

Yeah, if our baseball boyfriends had to be age appropriate then I'd be stuck with Bartolo and Ichiro.  NOT Happening.

So I have decided as long as they are legal, they can be a baseball boyfriend.

So hey Trea, Andrew B, Bryce, Dansby.

• Love 3
(edited)
5 minutes ago, jennifer6973 said:

Yeah, if our baseball boyfriends had to be age appropriate then I'd be stuck with Bartolo and Ichiro.  NOT Happening.

Even then, I'd still have about seven years on them.  Does that make me a cougar? ?

Edited by smittykins

Twenty-three runs. And Rendon drove in ten. Is it wrong to suggest that Terry Collins might be placed on suicide watch? I mean, if he gets ejected, somebody would have to join him in the clubhouse to make sure he's okay.

• Love 3

TBH, I thought seeing his parents (and his wife--she was there, too) was sweet, although if keeping them off-camera later would have meant the Cubs would have won, maybe ESPN should have calmed down a bit, lol. 

I didn't even watch any of the Cubs/Red Sox games in their entirety, but when I would click over to it to check it out, there was Kris Bryant's dad. Or the announcers were talking about him. Or showing an old baseball card of his. It was TOO MUCH. I think it's time the sports media crawled out of the Cubs' asses.

• Love 2

Cubs fan here and I wish the media would quit with the hype-- I feel it is jinxing us and there is nothing more superstitious than a Cubs fan (see black cat, goat curse and Bartman, Steve).

• Love 3

This story, about a rejected Fenway Park proposal, delights me in so many ways: 

1. A woman put on the spot in public didn't make nice for appearance's sake.
  2. The poor FP cameraman wants to be anywhere else.
  3. The whole crowd got into it, loudly proclaiming a woman's right to choose (or at least choose somebody besides this guy)
  4. Budweiser's shameless pimping of stadium feel-goodness got flipped: Watch young lovers spat visibly under your logo! 
  5. It alerts me that the great Pete Abraham is still doing baseball reporting. (He used to me my local scribe before going to beantown.)
  • Love 3

I heard Thor was going to be out for at least a week and a half. Oh, and Noah Syndergaard hair hat day is on Saturday. Maybe Sandy and/or Terry should force him to clip the mane? Hey, Chris Hemsworth did it for Thor: Ragnarok.

4 hours ago, basiltherat said:

Cubs fan here and I wish the media would quit with the hype-- I feel it is jinxing us and there is nothing more superstitious than a Cubs fan (see black cat, goat curse and Bartman, Steve).

Okay, never mind, they can continue with the hype then. ;)

• Love 2

I read that Thor's injury is actually going to be measured in months, not days.

David Cone did not hold back yesterday in his feeling that basically Noah was stupid and when someone tells you to get a MRI, you get a MRI.  Especially as a pitcher.

• Love 2

Well, the Rangers vs. Astros grudge match started strong today. 6th inning had all the players pouring out of the dugout AND the bullpen. 

14 hours ago, attica said:

1. A woman put on the spot in public didn't make nice for appearance's sake.
  2. The poor FP cameraman wants to be anywhere else.
  3. The whole crowd got into it, loudly proclaiming a woman's right to choose (or at least choose somebody besides this guy)
  4. Budweiser's shameless pimping of stadium feel-goodness got flipped: Watch young lovers spat visibly under your logo! 
  5. It alerts me that the great Pete Abraham is still doing baseball reporting. (He used to me my local scribe before going to beantown.)

It's fine that she said no, but to have the whole damn crowd start CHANTING it at him? Talk about kicking a person when he's already down, Jesus. 

16 hours ago, attica said:

My fiance' proposed to me on the ice during second intermission at a hockey game in February (we were "randomly" chosen to participate in a contest but everyone was in the know except for me) and let's just say it had a better outcome than that poor shlub at Fenway.

Boston, what the fuck.  Your fans seriously threw peanuts at Adam Jones and called him the n-word?  This is seriously still fucking happening?  What a bunch of gross assholes.

In my "On this Day" from 2014 in FB I ranted about Boston Bruins fans shouting racist comments toward then Canadiens defenceman P.K. Subban during the Stanley Cup playoffs.  I know a few assholes doesn't make a city but it doesn't look good either.

• Love 3

Then that's now the third incidence I've heard about Boston because didn't a comedian say like a month or so ago that Boston was the most racist city he's been to?

I mean I'm not painting the entire populace with the same brush but the ignorant fucknuggets are sure making the city look pretty bad.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, UYI said:

It's fine that she said no, but to have the whole damn crowd start CHANTING it at him? Talk about kicking a person when he's already down, Jesus. 

Putting a woman on the spot in front of millions is a dick move if you're not certain she'll accept. Public shame for doing so is, imo, a public good. I mean, clearly, he was looking for public acclaim by arranging such a thing, right? Live by the sword, die by the sword!

• Love 2

You know, now that I think about it, I have no love for Boston in any way, but I wonder if the Sox need someone to apologize to Adam in person.  Asking for a friend.

• Love 1

I heard that the Mets were putting Syndergaard on the 10-day disabled list. Apparently, that was optimistic. Daily News is wondering if the Mets should go looking for pitchers on the market. Given how fragile those guys are, that might not be a bad idea.

4 hours ago, attica said:

Putting a woman on the spot in front of millions is a dick move if you're not certain she'll accept. Public shame for doing so is, imo, a public good. I mean, clearly, he was looking for public acclaim by arranging such a thing, right? Live by the sword, die by the sword!

I guess I'm on both sides for different reasons. As a woman, I'm glad she stood her ground and said no, but I also had sympathy for him because I felt the chant wasn't fair. YMMV, I guess. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

I heard that the Mets were putting Syndergaard on the 10-day disabled list. Apparently, that was optimistic.

I caught the Mets on the Braves network last night (I know, but at least I get to see the Mets...) and they said he was placed on the 10 day DL to start, but that they expected him to be out longer.

As ugly as Sunday's game was, the Mets have now won three of their last four...

(edited)
6 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

I heard that the Mets were putting Syndergaard on the 10-day disabled list. Apparently, that was optimistic.

Given the way so many Mets fans, at least the assholes who can't get off the sports radio phone lines(and even worse, a lot of the press),  huffed and puffed and bloviated about Matt Harvey trying to (gasp!) not rush back into pitching and possibly endanger his longterm chances at a career, I'm not surprised that Syndergaard didn't want to seem like some fucking pantywaist who actually cared about blowing out his arm.  Sad, but not surprised.  And now they're saying it's likely to be months.  

Somebody remind me again why I'm not supposed to hate human beings.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 2
(edited)
39 minutes ago, ratgirlagogo said:

Somebody remind me again why I'm not supposed to hate human beings.

I'm afraid I can't do that quite yet. At least he got a standing ovation the night after he kept hearing the n word being constantly hurled at him.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/19294487/boston-red-sox-apologize-fans-racial-taunts-baltimore-orioles-adam-jones

ETA: This is what I get for not reading the above posts more carefully. Oops. *smacks forehead* 

Edited by UYI

I appreciate Michael Kay saying that the standing ovation is nice, but doesn't change what the abhorrent shitheads did yesterday.  Well Michael didn't exactly say it like that.

He did go on a little long about how articulate Adam is which made me squirm because sometimes that is a code word.  I'm sure Michael was not trying to be rude.

I mean, Adam is just the best so it's hard not to praise him effusively for everything.  Although I am still trying to figure out what "playing baseball the right way" is supposed to mean.

• Love 4
18 hours ago, UYI said:

'm afraid I can't do that quite yet. At least he got a standing ovation the night after he kept hearing the n word being constantly hurled at him.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/19294487/boston-red-sox-apologize-fans-racial-taunts-baltimore-orioles-adam-jones

ETA: This is what I get for not reading the above posts more carefully. Oops. *smacks forehead* 

OF course it applies to that as well.  Goddamned *people*.

• Love 1

And 30 sec after the Jones ovation, Sale tries to throw at Machado....didn't last long. I know Machado has made some mistakes in the past, but holy shit let this shit go. Machado's slide wasn't intentional at all, and Pedroria even said so, they buried the hatchet and got over it. But, now Machado has been getting thrown at every chance they got. Disgusting display the Red Soc and to go with the racism issue, Boston is showing their ass.

Machado's post game rant is a beauty, and he is completely right. 

• Love 5

the actions of ignorant fucknuggets. 

I read that CC Sabathia and a few other black players said that Boston is the only city where they hear that sh*& from the stands.  Sigh.

• Love 2

I'll be in the Louisville area for work the first week of June and hope to be able to visit the Louisville Slugger Museum while there.  The AAA Louisville Bats have only one home game during the time I'll be there so I hope to make the game.

• Love 1