Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

I’m just musing here, but I’ve been watching baseball since April.  I wouldn’t abandon it just because football started, especially because football and baseball haven’t had much overlap yet.  (This week especially, since the Yanks were off on Monday and will be off Thursday [fingers crossed, since rain may affect tonight’s game], heh).

• Like 2
15 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

How does home-field get determined in the World Series? Most wins? I’m thinking lowest seed gets the advantage. If both teams are seeded the same, go to head-to-head record. If that doesn’t apply, go with interleague record.

Home-field is determined in the World Series by team with best winning percentage.

Tiebreakers are as follows:

• The first tiebreaker will be head-to-head record in the regular season.
  • If the teams did not play during the season during Interleague Play, the tiebreaker would go to the team with the better overall record against teams in its own division.
  • If that were also a tie, the tiebreaker would be intraleague records (the NL club's record vs. NL teams and the AL team's record vs. AL teams).

• Useful 3
  • Love 1

I’m at work. “Hey, the Braves lost! The Mets can finally go up another game!”

Time passes, Brewers up, 6-0. “Really? REALLY?!?”

Then I hear some of the guys got banged up. I think the next level would’ve been the entire team going down Bernie Brewer’s slide at the same time. 🙄

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 1

So as I'm watching the Yankee home games, I've come to the conclusion that I was probably wrong.

The Yankees will definitely give Aaron Judge more money than what they think is fair. They don't NEED to have him on the team financially the way that Judge could help other teams, but it would be a gigantic slap in the face to the fans to not put in a big time effort to make Judge a lifetime Yankee.

His name will be mentioned forever in the same sentence as Maris and Ruth. Add in Mickey Mantle if he manages to win the triple crown. The Yankees can afford to pay him whatever the market demands and make a space for the plaque and the 99 on the wall.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

So as I'm watching the Yankee home games, I've come to the conclusion that I was probably wrong.

The Yankees will definitely give Aaron Judge more money than what they think is fair. They don't NEED to have him on the team financially the way that Judge could help other teams, but it would be a gigantic slap in the face to the fans to not put in a big time effort to make Judge a lifetime Yankee.

His name will be mentioned forever in the same sentence as Maris and Ruth. Add in Mickey Mantle if he manages to win the triple crown. The Yankees can afford to pay him whatever the market demands and make a space for the plaque and the 99 on the wall.

I hope you’re right, jatmacc99.  For me, them allowing him to leave would likely end my being a fan of the team.

If Aaron Judge should hit HR #61 and #62 this weekend, I truly hope it's not on Friday. I'd love to have it happen on Saturday, with the HR call being made on YES. I could live with the call coming from FOX or ESPN, but to have an historic call be made by the hacks on AppleTV, who seem to have no baseball knowledge whatsoever, would be blasphemous.

Screenshot_20220922-173206_MLB.jpg

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
46 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

If Aaron Judge should hit HR #61 and #62 this weekend, I truly hope it's not on Friday. I'd love to have it happen on Saturday, with the HR call being made on YES. I could live with the call coming from FOX or ESPN, but to have an historic call be made by the hacks on AppleTV, who seem to have no baseball knowledge whatsoever, would be blasphemous.

Screenshot_20220922-173206_MLB.jpg

Apparently YES and Apple are in talks to either have the YES team do Friday or Michael Kay call the game on Apple.

Hey what do you think the chances are that David Price will come out of retirement this weekend?

Edited by mojoween
53 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Apparently YES and Apple are in talks to either have the YES team do Friday or Michael Kay call the game on Apple.

Apparently, on the Michael Kay radio show today, he said he wasn't aware of the talks until he saw it in the papers, and unless YES orders him to do it, he doesn't want to go on Apple to do the broadcast.  He doesn't want to 'Big Foot' the Apple commentators out of a moment and doesn't feel working with two random people he's never worked with would make for a good broadcast.

Edited by Moose135
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

I guess Kay has seen those crappy Apple broadcasts and wants no part of it lol.

But I don't see why Kay should bail out MLB from fan outrage. Fans have hated the streaming from the get go and it was all just ignored in pursuit of $. 

What if there was a paywall? Just wait, bc it's coming. 

That being said, I hope for Yankees fans sake it doesn't happen Friday.

• Love 1

Three walks, one strikeout. Ouch. Here’s hoping the Boston pitchers can get to their hotel intact.

ETA 53 minutes later . . . SO CLOSE. I like the sound of Yankees fans getting denied en masse.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, Moose135 said:

Apparently, on the Michael Kay radio show today, he said he wasn't aware of the talks until he saw it in the papers, and unless YES orders him to do it, he doesn't want to go on Apple to do the broadcast.  He doesn't want to 'Big Foot' the Apple commentators out of a moment and doesn't feel working with two random people he's never worked with would make for a good broadcast.

It doesn't surprise me that Michael Kay didn't publicly push to be on the broadcast. If YES is in talks to get him to appear on the broadcast, it'd be very unprofessional of him to stick his nose in the talks publicly because it undermines the process. Either way, publicly pushing for the role might make the AppleTV broadcasters feel like Kay is bullying them out of their jobs, not to mention questioning their competence, which, at the very least, is not a good look.

It does surprise me, somewhat, that Kay unequivocally shoots down wanting the role, though his explanation still makes sense. He could have taken the high road and just simply not commented on it, so the fact he's taken the negative position on this means he probably really doesn't want the gig. It still could just be PR babble, but he could have been more measured if that was all he wanted to do.

I certainly think Aaron Judge's record-breaking home runs should air on a game that's widely available, not on a service that many have issues with. I don't think anyone wants to miss the special moment because the service is "buffering".

• Love 4

I've read a few comments saying the Yankees should just bench him Friday lol.

You can see where this is going in a few years- doesn't the NBA have rules that starters have to start unless there is a legit issue?

1 hour ago, cleo said:

You can see where this is going in a few years- doesn't the NBA have rules that starters have to start unless there is a legit issue?

I'm seeing a ton of this on Twitter and it's ticking me off. The Yankees haven't clinched the division yet! Yes, they clinched a postseason berth last night, but that's not what they're playing for. They've got to go all out to insure not only that they clinch the division, but also that they're assured of at least the second-best record in the AL so they get the first round bye. But sure, let's sit Judge for a night. 😏

AppleTV sure lucked out here, didn't they? Not only do they get Judge going for 61 tonight; they also have Cardinals/Dodgers with Pujols going for 700. 

For anyone who may not have it, here's the online link to see either of those two games for free, without taking the AppleTV app free trial option. 

https://tv.apple.com/room/edt.item.62327df1-6874-470e-98b2-a5bbeac509a2?ign-itscg=80103&ign-itsct=atvp_mlbmarketingonatvplus_gen_gen

Edited to add: You do need an Apple ID to sign in. I just used my old iTunes info from years back.

Edited by ProudMary
See above.
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, cleo said:

Hm.

The Yankees’ magic number to clinch their division is 6. The Astros’ magic number to clinch the top seed is also 6. Yankees need a combination 5 wins and Guardians losses to get the bye.

If Judge wasn’t going for the record, resting him would make sense. You’d hate for him to go out, take a ball to the face and miss the rest of the season. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Lantern7 said:

Brief piece from Deadspin about whether Judge would be getting so much attention if he wasn’t a Yankee.

I get what they're saying here - that nobody really recognizes the differences between the leagues anymore.  But to me, when they play up the "AL record" bit, it's not about that at all.  I think they're talking about that as an unspoken nod to what many fans are really thinking, which is that the records set by all the guys who passed 61 should be thrown out.

To me, 61 is the real record, but analysts are too chicken shit to say that.  So they use "AL record" as short-hand for "the record without drugs", because they don't want to talk about that anymore.

And I say that as a Cardinals fan who loved every minute of McGwire's run to 70.  It was fun, and an amazing memory, but I don't count it, or Sosa's 66 or Bonds' 73.

• Applause 3
  • Love 2
57 minutes ago, Jane Tuesday said:

I get what they're saying here - that nobody really recognizes the differences between the leagues anymore.  But to me, when they play up the "AL record" bit, it's not about that at all.  I think they're talking about that as an unspoken nod to what many fans are really thinking, which is that the records set by all the guys who passed 61 should be thrown out.

To me, 61 is the real record, but analysts are too chicken shit to say that.  So they use "AL record" as short-hand for "the record without drugs", because they don't want to talk about that anymore.

And I say that as a Cardinals fan who loved every minute of McGwire's run to 70.  It was fun, and an amazing memory, but I don't count it, or Sosa's 66 or Bonds' 73.

I completely agree with "AL Record" being used as a euphemism. 

It was fun. The US stopped to watch baseball games again, which was very important to the sport after the 1994-95 strike and complete loss of the '94 postseason. It's why the owners turned a blind eye to the rampant PED usage across the sport.

• Love 2

SMH. I'm starting to hope that #61, #62 and whatever is Judge's final HR of the season all fall into Monument Park or one of the bullpens. 😒

From investment platform Public .com on Medium:

We’re Offering $1 Million for Aaron Judge’s Final Record-Setting Home Run Ball of the Season so Fans Can Own a Piece of History

Public.com will pay $1 million for the historic sports artifact and intends to make it available for investment on our platform.

We at Public.com want all sports fans to be able to own a piece of this moment, so we’re offering $1 million for Judge’s final record-setting home run ball of the season, with the intent to acquire the ball and make it available for investment on the Public.com platform.

<<snip>>

So, ahead of the official launch of alternative assets on Public.com (coming soon), we’re making a play for Judge’s record-setting home run ball and are offering the lucky fan who catches it $1 million for the asset. Should we succeed, the Judge ball will join other iconic sports assets launching on Public.com — and all sports fans and investors will have the opportunity to participate in their ownership.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, ProudMary said:

From investment platform Public .com on Medium:

Huh?  I have no idea what I just read.  Why would I invest in a baseball?  Or should I say - how much benefit would I get?  What if next year someone breaks the new record?  Or if Judge is exposed as/suspected of being a cheat?

One (1) positive - Katie Nolan.  I’ll never be sad to see her on my screen.

A giant negative that equals one billion zillion negatives - the chyron on the bottom of the screen that gives the batter’s hit probability.  Get that shit right the fuck out of here.

• Love 3

Judge strikes out. No updates on MLBTV or ESPN. Is the Apple thing that exclusive that we wouldn’t know when he gets #61? I’m not a Yankees fan, and I think that sucks.

While I’m thinking about Judge . . . why does he bat leadoff?

Edited by Lantern7

AARON HIT A HOME RUN! AARON HIT A HOME RUN!!!

Aaron Hicks, that is. Aaron Judge just filed out. 0-for-2.

Watching the Apple coverage . . . how is home run probability determined? Is it always low? Judge was at 5 percent in his second at-bat.

I'm legitimately tearing up. I'm so happy for Albert.

Shout out to the Dodgers and their fans for giving him a standing ovation on a tough night for them. If he couldn't do it here, I'm glad he did it there. If it weren't for his time with LAD last season, we wouldn't have gotten this moment. 

• Love 5

I've always loved Phat Albert. Such a great player to watch. That moonshot he hit against Brad Lidge will always be in my memory banks.

I know that Albert Pujols isn't the player he once was, but he's still actually a useful player. For those who like the metric, WAR still places him as a fringe starter (1.5), and he's still good for at least one hit a game (.261) with some decent power (21 home runs). If he wanted to come back, he probably could.

Who knows? Maybe he should. Passing 714 might be pretty tempting...

Then again, maybe it's better that his final memory on the baseball field for us is that we know he could still play and that the Cardinals actually had a use for him as opposed to just wanting to go on a nostalgia trip. After a few rough years in LA, at least Albert can say he still had it in his final year.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I was sorta hoping Pujols would've gotten to 700 against the Pirates.  As mentioned, about 20 to 25 percent of his homers happened at the expense of the Buccos.  That would have been so fitting.  Either way, so glad he got there, definitely a classy guy and future hall of famer

I’m very happy Pujols’ 700’th was in front of a packed Dodgers stadium instead of an empty stadium, filled with fans that appreciated everything he has done. They really loved him for his short stint last season, and even did a tribute for him. Classy organization.

• Love 3
17 hours ago, mojoween said:

One (1) positive - Katie Nolan.  I’ll never be sad to see her on my screen.

A giant negative that equals one billion zillion negatives - the chyron on the bottom of the screen that gives the batter’s hit probability.  Get that shit right the fuck out of here.

LOL!  Don't hate me but I like it.

• Mind Blown 1
1 hour ago, twoods said:

I’m very happy Pujols’ 700’th was in front of a packed Dodgers stadium instead of an empty stadium, filled with fans that appreciated everything he has done. They really loved him for his short stint last season, and even did a tribute for him. Classy organization.

The Dodgers presented Pujols and Yadi Molina a set of golf clubs. 😀

• Applause 1
7 hours ago, mojoween said:

Sigh.  Everyone is making him nervous and he’s pressing.

He'll be fine, although he may not hit 61/62 until they clinch the division. I love how the offense picked him up, starting with Rizzo. Also, that was a great catch by Bader.

Edited to add: The one who worries me is Stanton. I thought he was coming out of the slump; that the miracle grand slam was the full turnaround, but he looks lost at the plate. If the Yankees are to go deep into the playoffs, Stanton NEEDS to be Stanton.

Edited by ProudMary
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, mojoween said:

Ok now I’m starting to feel badly for the Pirates and their place in history. On yesterday’s date in 1957, the Dodgers played their very last game in Ebbets Field, a 2-0 victory over … Pittsburgh.

I guess I'll look forward to xaxat's comments should xaxat respond, but there are too many negative places in history that an octopus couldn't count on its hands.  Fortunately, Pittsburgh soon managed to regroup and win 3 titles in the following 25 years

1 minute ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Well @Xeliou66, you got your wish. The Marlins and Mattingly are parting ways.

FINALLY!!!! Mattingly accomplished shit with the Fishies and they got worse this season when they should’ve improved. Hopefully a new manager turns things around.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, smittykins said:

Claimed off waivers by the Pirates today.

I’m just now finding about this and I am distraught.

Eight years ago on this date @ebk57 said “well that fucking figures” (maybe, I don’t know if ebk is a cusser).  “Where dreams, turn into reality!” and I sobbed like a baby.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 2