Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, mojoween said:

There was a tight end for the Steelers named Heath...Something and for some reason he always got the "ooooo" whenever he touched the ball.

They were actually yelling "Heaathh!"

Later in his career the Steelers drafted another big, white tight end. Fans in the stands had trouble telling them apart so they would also yell "Heeathh!" when he made a catch. . . even though his name is Jesse James. Some still do.

Didi Gregorious, tourist ambassador for New York City.

• Love 2
(edited)

My late husband's best friend has a slight developmental disability, and one night he was watching a Yankees game with us, and when Mussina left the mound, he asked "Why are they booing?" We had to explain to him that they weren't, they were saying "Mooooooooose."

Edited by smittykins

This goes all the way back to the '60s...   Boooooooooog Powell anyone?  

And it's nice that he's still around feeding us overpriced pit beef at games!  He's really quite nice and will sign anything and pose for pictures whenever he's there overseeing the product.

• Love 2
36 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

This goes all the way back to the '60s...   Boooooooooog Powell anyone?  

Now that you mention it...

Monday night, KC @ Seattle, a tweet from the TV guy re: the radio announcers:

"Ryan Lefebvre points out how Denny Matthews hasn't had to say the name 'Boog Powell' in years."

They're still playing baseball in the top of the 8th inning in Washington 5 and a half hours after the scheduled start time. Why? Because there was a 3 hour rain delay to start the game. There was no rain.

I hate the Dodgers but man, are they playing great baseball. At least someone is happy in the house (hubby is the biggest Dodger fan you can find). At least I can find solace in them tanking in the playoffs like they always do.

Mooooose....reminds me of my first baseball crush Mussina. I remember being crushed when he became a Yankee and I tore my poster of him off my wall. 

6 hours ago, twoods said:

Mooooose....reminds me of my first baseball crush Mussina. I remember being crushed when he became a Yankee and I tore my poster of him off my wall. 

My first baseball crush was Bucky Dent, or Bucky Fucking Dent if you're from the Boston area.  I had a poster of him in my school locker in eighth grade.

• Love 1
20 hours ago, twoods said:

13 hours ago, MyAimIsTrue said:

My first baseball crush was Bucky Dent, or Bucky Fucking Dent if you're from the Boston area.  I had a poster of him in my school locker in eighth grade.

Mussina was not a baseball crush, but I did love him being an Oriole.  If I'd had a poster of him on my wall, I'd have ripped it off, too, when he went north.  

As far as Bucky Fucking Dent, I'm sure I've mentioned that my sister voted for him on an All Star ballot once because she thought he had a cute butt.  I guess everyone's definition of All Star is different.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, ebk57 said:

As far as Bucky Fucking Dent, I'm sure I've mentioned that my sister voted for him on an All Star ballot once because she thought he had a cute butt.  I guess everyone's definition of All Star is different.

Yes, and when Bucky made the ASG my Yankees fanatic father declared it a travesty and said Robin Yount should have been the selection, to which my teenage brain immediately thought "but he's not nearly as good looking."

• Love 3
14 hours ago, ebk57 said:

I guess everyone's definition of All Star is different.

And frankly, that's how it ought to be! If MLB wanted it to be a stat-based meritocracy, they could....do that. But they don't, which means even the admirers of The Callipygian Bucky get to weigh in.

• Love 2
16 hours ago, ebk57 said:

Mussina was not a baseball crush, but I did love him being an Oriole.  If I'd had a poster of him on my wall, I'd have ripped it off, too, when he went north.  

Glad I'm not the only one who felt that way about Mussina.

On 7/7/2017 at 0:59 AM, twoods said:

Well, this Moose will never become a Yankee - not even a Yankee fan! :-)

• Love 1
On 7/6/2017 at 1:02 AM, Lantern7 said:

Yeah, because there's no such thing as an automatic tarp anymore.

Seriously, Yankees fans . . . be careful about Judge. I remember when Dwight Gooden exploded onto the scene in 1984, striking out 276 and spearheading the Mets' rise to prominence. He followed that up with a 24-4 record and a Cy Young Award at the age of 20. Then his numbers dipped, and nobody knew why. And then he tested positive for cocaine. I know, legendary Yankees don't pay as high a price for glory as Mets, but anything can happen. I mean, hasn't the Home Run Derby been proven to decrease dingers in the regular season? I'm not trying to hate . . .. but the kid is aiming for a Triple Crown in his motherfucking rookie year. That ain't right on any team.

Well, as long as you are not implying/suggesting that Judge is on PED's (and I don't think you are) then yes I don't expect another 30 HR in Part 2. Has it ever been asked if Giancarlo Stanton has used PED's? I haven't heared that but then I don't pay attention to all players.  The HRD has not "proven" anything except that it's humanly difficult to maintain the kind of pace Judge is on.  Gary Sanchez has been good but that torrid pace from last year is history...so far.  It remains to be seen if AJ is a true 60 HR guy or just a 30-35 guy. I'll  take either as long as it's clean. If he had stuck to football most would not suggest he enhanced. Going by all accounts of reporters and other "experts" the guy is genuine. So until he fails a drug test I think he will be a very good player his entire career. Hoping he stays free of injuries. (Yes I know one can probably do things to not be detected.)

The world has been lead to expect the worst of anybody seemingly possessing superior abilities. It's unfortunate. 

1 hour ago, Moose135 said:

Well, this Moose will never become a Yankee - not even a Yankee fan! :-)

Don't worry. There's plenty of us around. 

This is an interesting column. I for one just don't think the Yanks are ready to be an elite team yet. They do have some good prospects but expecting the Tyler Wades of the world to come up because they need bodies is not to say that they can't or won't be successful. Judge doesn't need seasoning but Wade and others are not perhaps ready to be stars.

BTW Frazier wins the game with walk off 3run HR and had a good game before that. He may just be ready. 

http://yanksgoyard.com/2017/07/08/yankees-draw-another-hand/

Brandon Nimmo has a collapsed lung. Only the Mets. Seriously, management should invite health inspectors to look over the clubhouse. Bringing in priests probably couldn't hurt. Heck, bring everybody.

• Love 6

Travis Shaw hit a 3 run homer, his 19th, against the Yankees at the Stadium today. He's hitting .301 with 65 RBIs. To think the Red Sox wanted Sandoval so bad to be their third baseman that they let him go.

Where's Sandoval now. He's on the DL of course and has been terrible both on the field and hitting.

I think the signing is worse than Carl Crawford.

• Love 1

Went to the Nats game today.  First time I've been there in 2 seasons.  The park hasn't changed.  Ah well...  

At least they won.  And the weather was perfect!

• Love 1

I found Nats Park to be perfectly pleasant when I visited, nothing more and not much less. It could use a little more character but it's a fine place to watch a ballgame. 

I just visited PNC Park for the first time last weekend and it lives up to the hype! The views are spectacular from the upper deck and the field level seats are pretty great too. And it's nice that they open up their bleacher section for home team batting practice, I don't think that's very common! 

• Love 1

I went to RFK for a Nats game. Do not remember it much. Also, I'm aware PNC is supposed to be the proverbial shit, but I don't know why else I'd go to Pittsburgh. "Comic book show" is the only thing I can think of, because I like seeing baseball when I go to cons.

I don't that Aaron Judge is a juicer. If he were a Met, he'd be on a similar clip. And then he'd get hit somewhere sensitive, piss himself while grimacing in the batters' box, and the urine would burn through his jockstrap and pants. The next day, he'd be on the same banned list as Meijia.

35 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

I went to RFK for a Nats game. Do not remember it much. Also, I'm aware PNC is supposed to be the proverbial shit, but I don't know why else I'd go to Pittsburgh. "Comic book show" is the only thing I can think of, because I like seeing baseball when I go to cons.

I don't that Aaron Judge is a juicer. If he were a Met, he'd be on a similar clip. And then he'd get hit somewhere sensitive, piss himself while grimacing in the batters' box, and the urine would burn through his jockstrap and pants. The next day, he'd be on the same banned list as Meijia.

Pittsburgh was actually really beautiful! We loved exploring it. The city is easily walkable downtown, there's a beautiful park at the point of the three rivers, the incline was awesome and there were some great breweries and places to eat. Plus the Warhol Museum! Pittsburgh is nothing to sneeze at! 

• Love 2

Speaking of PEDS, at least there will be no more questions about Jake Arrieta -- he (and all my Cubs) stinks! 

Also as a Cubs fan, if Mets fans wish to believe they are cursed, Chicago will be happy to send our goat, black cat, and Steve Bartman to the Big Apple!

Aaron Judge is simply J. J. Watt with a bat.  I'm rooting for Mooooosssee-takas!

• Love 1
4 hours ago, rippleintime17 said:

Pittsburgh was actually really beautiful! We loved exploring it. The city is easily walkable downtown, there's a beautiful park at the point of the three rivers, the incline was awesome and there were some great breweries and places to eat. Plus the Warhol Museum! Pittsburgh is nothing to sneeze at! 

I went to Pittsburgh back in the late 80s because my roommate was from Wilkes-Barre and had never been to Pittsburgh and since I worked for a hotel chain I took my vacay with her & got a complimentary room. We were both very impressed. The people were so nice. My friend lived in NYC for so long at that point even she was impressed by how nice everyone was. I liked that town and it should have a better appreciation. 

(edited)

HR Derby. I'm bored. To me the excitement of a HR these days is the power and bombast behind the hit. A lot of players can hit them high and far especially with BP throws but it's those that are hit with the high exit velo that get folks ooohing and Ahhing. 

Anyway, I'm only watching for Judge and Sanchez and frankly if Gary was the only Yankee I prob would skip it. As it is I am already tuning out. Although seeing Moustakis (I love a good Greek name) now after coming up short, he looks tired.

Re Sano, I'm sure the Twins won't trade him like they did David Ortiz. 

OK, still watching. Sanchez' swings have intrigued me since he came up last year. He's big and strong but his swing seems to be so free and easy as if it's no strain at all. Giancarlo however looks like he expends so much energy with his swings and having to hit them in succession must be very tiring. I still don't really believe that this competition saps your energy for the remaining 82, I do see why so many would think so.

This Blackmon guy looks like he's  good looking under that growth. SMH.

Edited by prican58
7 hours ago, MyAimIsTrue said:

On my one and only trip to Nats Park I found it completely devoid of charm.  It wasn't a bad place to watch a game but for some reason I expected more out of the park itself.

This - it's so incredibly bland.  And expensive.  And the ushers are nasty.  And... I'll stop now.  I'm just glad I spend my baseball time at Camden Yards.

Regarding PNC Park and Pittsburgh, I agree with all the good things said here.  The park is my favorite of the new parks and the city is lovely with lots of good places to eat.  I don't mind at all going when Mr ebk has convention weekend there.

The HR Derby has always just been fun background noise here.

This Yankee fan is totally enjoying the HR derby.  I was rooting for Giancarlo to get it done, even though it would have meant beating Sanchez.  (It was sweet to see Sanchez with his little daughter, whose birth he credits for turning him into a more serious player.)

I think Tex is doing a really nice job.  He seems genuinely enthusiastic, which is always charming, but he's also informative.

So Bellinger has a definite douche look to him.  True?  Unfair?  I don't know anything about his personality.  And, good grief, his mother is a Ann Coulter look-alike.  Yikes.

I haven't read anything about an official reason for Chris Berman not doing the derby this year.  Has he been on the air since his wife's death?  

• Love 1

As far as I know Boomer was always going to be taking a step back from everything, but I may be mis-remembering.

OMG I totally thought Bellinger's mom was Ann Coulter and had a visceral hate-on for him.

I am old enough to be Judge's mom and I DO NOT CARE.  I love watching that boy swing a bat.

• Love 3

Briefly turned to ESPN. Saw Aaron Judge hit a ball 500 feet. Changed the channel. Tomorrow, Michael Conforto will go on defense in the eighth inning and be taken out on a stretcher. Or get to the on deck circle and be replaced when the American League switches pitchers. Maybe both at the same time.

• Love 2

Bellinger being a Dodger is automatic points against him but I couldn't help but love him while he was on mic after his 2nd round performance, watching Aaron obliterate him live. His comments were so funny! "What chance do you have of advancing?" "Negative 12." "Hey, maybe if [Aaron's pitcher] blows out his elbow, I still have a shot!" "He missed that one and it's still going to go out!" He was a really good sport and a natural and to me, one of the best things about the All-Star events is to see the camaraderie and good-natured competition of these guys who don't often get to see each other. Watching Buster Posey shake his head in disbelief as Stanton put on a show (man, I love Gary but it was a bummer that we didn't get to see more of Giancarlo!), watching Dellin Betances freak out over his own teammate owning the place, seeing Jansen and Turner with their cameras on Bellinger, it's just fun. For one night, MLB takes on that kind of carefree enjoyment that I wish it had more of sometimes. And for that, I love it. That Aaron took on all expectations and still impressed was just icing! 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, ketchuplover said:

When Mr.Judge comes to bat do the Yankees play "Here Comes the Judge" from the Flip Wilson show?  

Wasn't that from Laugh-In, not Flip's show? [/so old, so very old]

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, attica said:

Wasn't that from Laugh-In, not Flip's show? [/so old, so very old]

Yes, it was. And I wonder if Aaron Judge has had that joke made at him (probably) and who had to explain what Laugh-In was.

• Love 2