Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

So, there's this upcoming movie about the first woman in MLB, right? So the movie's promo department asked a bunch of kids about women playing baseball, and then showed 'em a clip. Watch their minds be blown. Sniffly? Not me, nuh-uh!

Also, in can-this-be-real news,  Human bloody sock Curt Schilling is making noises about running for Elizabeth Warren's US Senate seat. The redoubtable Charles Pierce has some thoughts (scroll down about halfway for the topic).

• Love 1

Not gonna lie, the prospect of E-Dubs slicing through what's left of his achilles tendons (and several other vital organs) in a debate fills me with not a little anticipatory delight.

• Love 4
13 minutes ago, xaxat said:

Mr. "I left the people of Rhode Island holding the bag for my awful business decisions." should really reconsider running for public office.

He says it's not his fault! I think Trump thinks all his bankruptcies aren't his fault either.

BTW "Pitch" is a TV show about the first woman in baseball, not a movie.

11 hours ago, xaxat said:

Doc Gooden may need an  intervention from his friends and family right now, but I really wish it wasn't happening this publicly.

Even if you can't bring yourself to watch the 30 for 30 episode itself (which almost certainly has led to the current situation), you should read Sarah Bunting's lovingly sympathetic recap of that brutal episode:

http://previously.tv/30-for-30/doc-darryl-boy-kings-of-queens/

The Rangers released Josh Hamilton today. Normally I'm all for free agents getting that money, but in his case I thought it was a mistake to leave that support system the Rangers originally built for him.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, xaxat said:

The Rangers released Josh Hamilton today. Normally I'm all for free agents getting that money, but in his case I thought it was a mistake to leave that support system the Rangers originally built for him.

But it wasn't his mistake, correct? Was there any indication that he wanted to leave the Rangers?

I've been hearing talk about him playing minor league baseball to keep him in baseball shape till another team picks him up. But will Hamilton's ego allow that?

30 minutes ago, topanga said:

But it wasn't his mistake, correct? Was there any indication that he wanted to leave the Rangers?

I was referring to the first time he left the Rangers, when he decided to sign with the Angels. 

• Love 1

That's what I think most people do - still call it Comiskey. Why the Guarantee Rate people just wouldn't call it GRF/Comiskey or something to tie their name in with the name we all know?  (Oh right... "Branding" rules says you don't do that.)

cbbf9f9ae0a903e748f6fd9d463a8e7a.jpg

• Love 2

Hey, mojoween. In lieu of a Yankees game the YES network is marathoning a Core Four plus One Yankeeography. Watched the Bernie episode and in watching it just got so flooded with emotions for our guy. He really was an amazing player for us. 

Now I am watching the Posada one. It's nice to be reminded of just how significant these guys were. I'm not saying this as some obnoxious, self serving NYY fan but just as a fan of these guys and appreciating what they did and how lucky we were to have witnessed it. 

• Love 2

So during tonight's KC/Miami game, one of the Royals' beat writers tweeted a reference to Matt Christopher*.

And I loved it! When I was a kid, I probably blew through 20 of his books in less than a month.  My favorite?  "The Year Mom Won the Pennant" -- because in those days, it was the only one of his stories where The Girl was the hero.

* Our rookie 2B, Mondesi, was flying around 3rd, and as usual with this guy, his helmet blew right off.  So the writer said it was like a Matt Christopher book: "The Kid Who Couldn't Keep His Helmet On".

Yeah, Boch was in a tough spot last night. Moore is still new to the Giants and hadn't really had his chance to have that one game to really show what he can do and get the fanbase on his side (though it's not his fault that he was traded for a fan favorite, of course) and if a guy is rolling, you kind of have to let him keep going but at the same time, that pitch count was RISING and part of it was because the Dodgers were fouling balls off like crazy. Still, it was fifteen less pitches than Tim Lincecum's (first) no-hitter! Matt came SO CLOSE. I'm shaking my fist at you, Corey Seager! But it was still a great game and I'm very pleased that it happened. The Giants, and Matt Moore, needed that.

It was the first game since the ASB that I felt energized about my team. I still miss Duffy though, like crazy. (I probably am crazy). LOL @ dodgers fans saying they didn't play well because AJ Ellis got traded. Join the club, smurfers. But that 1-hitter was allll Giants. I ain't even mad about it not being a no-hitter. It just felt so freaking good to shut out our rivals, only get 1 hit from them, only be 2 games behind instead of 4, and to not let them sweep. I'll take what I can get from our boys. Hopefully we'll add some more W's (maybe even more than 2 in a row) with the Braves in town this weekend. No selfies for Justin Turner last night. And so satisfying to see Utley strike out swinging. Grab some pine, meat!

I think one of Timmy's no-hitters was 148 pitches. Such a damn good game, and a damn good Buster hug :) 

ETA: Also the Cards and the Fish both lost last night, so encouraging news on the wildcard front.

Edited by MattDuffysCat

I was watching the game on MLB Netowrk and I'm pissed the no hitter was broken up because selfish me wanted to hear Vin Sculley call another no hitter, even if it wasn't for a Dodger's pitcher.

I think the discussion about how long Moore was left in the game is interesting. I caught the end of Johan Santana's no hitter with the Mets and the thing I remember most about it was Terry Collin's post game press conference where he publicly agonized over whether he had left Santana in too long. Santana wasn't the same after that.

12 hours ago, King of Birds said:

And you didn't want a re-building process to start!  What's better- NoRunsDMC or The Gary Sanchez Era?

I still miss A-Rod!  Can you imagine if Sanchez were batting in front of Alex?  Gary would have 9,467 walks by now.

Thank goodness for SNY repeats. I got to see Bartolo's second double of the season. Then Jose Reyes doubled, and Bart wound up sticking to third. Luckily, Wilmer hit a grand slam to drive them both in.

Okay, I had to laugh after the Cubs won last night, a Cubs reporter sent out a tweet noting that that victory assured that the Cubs would have a winning season this year.  I guess it's a process in allowing one's expectations to get a little bit higher than set before the rebuild!:)

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, King of Birds said:

As the Yankees have scored 14, and then 13 today, here's hoping they get shut out on Sunday. It's the only way to appease the baseball gods. Right ebk?

From your mouth (or keyboard as the case may be) to the baseball gods ears!

Edited by ebk57
On 8/27/2016 at 2:51 PM, Lantern7 said:

Thank goodness for SNY repeats. I got to see Bartolo's second double of the season. Then Jose Reyes doubled, and Bart wound up sticking to third. Luckily, Wilmer hit a grand slam to drive them both in.

I was listening to the Mets radio broadcast on Sirius, and after Wilmer's slam, Howie Rose said "Colon managed to score on Flores' home run."

Edited by Moose135
  • Love 1

You a day is good when the Yankees and Mets both lose.

Oh Reds did you have to score all those runs yesterday?  Karma is biting you today.

And hey Nationals if you have an advertiser that is closed on Sunday it is quite unfair for you to advertise for them and make me want them.

20 hours ago, King of Birds said:

As the Yankees have scored 14, and then 13 today, here's hoping they get shut out on Sunday. It's the only way to appease the baseball gods.

Wow. I actually called it! Does this make ME a baseball god?

Edited by King of Birds
  • Love 2

I am actually looking forward to what Yanks do in the off season. I am guessing Refsnyder will be traded if they can't get rid of Hedley, Gardner or McCann. Boy can hit and while he doesn't really have a position some who know his abilities say that if he could play every day at first or 3rd he would become a better than average player. He is a major league hitter. He did pretty well spelling Tex earlier. I hope he gets a call up on Sep 1. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, King of Birds said:

Wow. I actually called it! Does this make ME a baseball god?

Don't go crazy now.  Even a stopped clock blah, blah, blah...  :-)

I just put my deposit down on my postseason tickets.  If worse come to worse, I've paid for next season already.

• Love 1