Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

In the 1977 ALCS Willie Randolph was taken out hard by Hal McRae. 

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/mets/mccarron-randolph-mets-feel-takeout-slide-article-1.2393582

He has an interesting comment regarding this Mets incident. I especially like what he says towards the bottom of the article. 

With memories of that attitude in mind, Randolph says he doesn’t believe Utley was trying to hurt Tejada. But, Randolph says, “Utley was wrong in that it was a really, late, late slide.” Randolph also calls the slide, “a little reckless.”

The whole play itself “was funky,” Randolph says, and everything happens fast. Tejada probably should’ve just made sure of one out instead of trying for a double play. Daniel Murphy’s feed wasn’t ideal and Tejada’s pirouette to get into position to throw to first left Tejada with his back to Utley, which Randolph says is a no-no.

“You leave yourself vulnerable when you do that,” Randolph says.

“I hate to see the guy break his leg,” Randolph adds. “So many things went through my mind. So much of it could’ve been avoided, maybe. Or anticipated.”

That’s what helped Randolph in his own collision.

“I could feel McRae coming after me,” Randolph says. “My first instinct was ‘Get off your feet, Willie.’ That’s what saved me.”

Still, Randolph says, his incident was worse than Tejada-Utley.

Why?

“The egregiousness,” Randolph says.

“But I can see how the Mets and Met fans are up in arms now. It was one of the most bizarre plays I’ve seen. I know the media, fans, talk radio, will have this at a fever pitch.”

I am not a Met fan but I really want Harvey to play some serious chin music. Well maybe not too serious, no one else needs to get hurt, not even Utley. But some purpose pitches to move guys off the plate. No way I want LA to win, not even for Donnie Baseball.  

• Love 1

I can't believe TBS only allotted 2.5 hours to the Cubs-Cardinals game.

Way they have been talking non stop about Arietta, he only needs 27 pitches.

Edited by tom87
  • Love 5

I don't think it's TBS.  I think it's MLB doing it.  Because they did that also on FS1.  But the 2nd game got moved to MLB Network until the other game was over.

Does Piscotty's teammates not like him or something?  I swear they want to hurt him.

Edited by jennifer6973

I got home from work in time to see the barbecue city team make an amazing come back.  The YYZ guys finally woke up and the north siders are looking good too so perhaps my days of being a jinx are over?  But just in case it isn't I still won't mention the teams I'm rooting for by name.

In general, I watch games and don't pay attention to announcers. So I don't know who these assholes are on TBS for the Mets/Dodgers .  Just now- around 8pm PT, talking about the Utley play, for FAR too long.  And what's the idea about judging and suspending on a pretty heinous play that caused injury?  "That's for the offseason" etc.  Fuck you. Lets hope it happens tomorrow.

How do NONE of them talk about that for the last several years, the rules and "unwritten" rules was that you can hard slide into second AS LONG AS YOU TOUCH THE BASE.  Utley never touched the base til the ump awarded him the base after review.

I basically want everyone in this TBS booth, taken out and shot. Just-- let's just do it. It's worse than listening to Kay and Suzy, fer chrissakes.

PS And, just to let you know, listening to Harold Reynolds IS the bottom, that IS FAR WORSE than listening to Michael Kay and Suzy Waldman.

PS2: AimingForYoko any mention of the Cubs and "is this their year?" should be banished to the woodshed.  Can we all remember the '86 World Series just a bit? They were talking about how Bruce Hurst would be WS MVP and then that terribleness with people named Bill, Mookie, Ray, etc all happened.  Perspective, people.

Edited by King of Birds

Mojoween, maybe it's because he looks like Sid Fernandez?

King of Birds, I agree! I think it was Cal Ripken, whom I otherwise respect, but he should just STFU. I miss Keith and Gary. And I don' t get how a play bad enough to warrant a suspension was allowed to stand and cost the Mets the game.

• Love 2
Can we all remember the '86 World Series just a bit? They were talking about how Bruce Hurst would be WS MVP and then that Amazingness with people named Bill, Mookie, Ray, etc all happened.

Fixed it for you...

• Love 1

I love Ron Darling.  Love him.  And I initially thought it was a very poor decision to have him in the booth for the Dodgers/Mets series because of his work with the Mets but he seems to have remained unbiased (not talking about slidegate but calling the games in general.)

• Love 1

I'm probably going to miss most of Game 4 due to geek programming. Maybe I'll DVR Tosh.0 (I know, should avoid) and Drunk History to see if the Mets can shut down the Dodgers. Also: I can't believe Chase Utley was part of the pre-game introductions, and I would've guessed Ruben Tejada would've required crutches, as opposed to a cane.

• Love 1

I'm not a poor loser, I'm really not, but I almost can't bear losing to the Cubs.  Maybe it's because I was born and raised with these people.  Just when I started feeling for that young team and their excitement, and thinking, well .... there's worse things that can happen - Rizzo yells he wants to kill someone, Maddon calls my team "vigilantes", and compares us to Tony Soprano, then says, "we don't start things we finish them", and Molina ends up injured - by Rizzo. 

And then I'm watching the game right now.  The Cubs are leading.  Their fans are jubilant, which is to be expected.  Yet when the inning ends, I see drunks who are leaning over screaming nasty things at the opponent.  And I realize .... those are the Cubs fans I know.  If you have a choice to either cheer your team or boo your opponent, go against the opponent - It's the Chicago way.

I am still trying to believe in my Dodgers, but yes, that was a dirty play by Utley.

It was dirty and it's very unfortunate for the injured player, but as an article described it, it started a "blood feud", and sometimes that's all it takes to fire up a team to win.

ETA:  And can we talk about these commercials?  Matthew McConaughey:  "It's not about hugging treeeeees............."

Edited by RedheadZombie
  • Love 4

Maybe this is the Cubs' year. Of course, if they face the Mets in the NLCS, I'll change my opinion.

Given that we're guaranteed only one NL Central team in the NLCS, would it make sense for a wild card team to no longer face a divisional rival in the LDS?

• Love 1

Blergh.

RHZ, I don't think I can bring myself to root for them, either.  And not because of the fans; the Cubbies fans down here are more the "lovable losers" type than what you're describing.  But I just can't do it.  I always thought I'd support the Cubs if they ever made it to the playoffs, and in fact I always DO support the NL team, and the NL Central team if there is one.  I think I just never thought they'd actually beat the Cards in the playoffs to do it.  (Even though I absolutely understand how it works.)

Whatever.  I'm a sore loser, I guess.  Go Mets!

• Love 4

They're recent winners, so I can't feel too sorry for the Cards.  Reminds me of the Mariners in 2001 winning 116 regular season games and then falling flat on their faces in the playoffs.  

Congrats Cubs and Chicago fans.  If Texas does actually make it from the AL, you've given me somebody to root for -- hasn't been for a long time, wasn't expected to go far, underdog, all that good stuff.  

• Love 1

If it's the Mets vs Texas, Toronto or KC, I'll root for NY. Vs Astros? Hmm, tough one. It will probably be a spur of the moment decision.

If the Cubs play any of the AL teams, it'll be Cubs all he way. 

Hope Mets win tonight.

Wisconsinite here - I find it natural to root against all things Chicago.

I like both the Mets and Dodgers and will have no problem rooting for either of them over the Cubs.

Kinda rooting against both Toronto and KC today, but if they both lose, I won't care about the ALCS. So I guess I need one of them in. If it's both, go Toronto.

• Love 2

'flu-ridden, unable to see it live, but sitting out in my car Monday, just like last year's Wild Card...and just like last year's Wild Card, bawling my head off at that come-from-behind, Did I Just See What I Just Saw? game.

Go Blue!

And smittykins, the funniest part was - even though I have the volume turned down a little (because I can't just mute Harold Reynolds) the Idiot himself, since I posted, said something along the lines of "Dale Scott's doing a good job today."

He's the new Joe Morgan.

Is it me or do they put dirt in the astro turf to make it look like actual moving grass.

It's small rubber pellets mixed with sand:

The AstroTurf consists of synthetic grass with a mix of rubber and sand as its base -- similar to the FieldTurf. Unlike FieldTurf, though, the AstroTurf GameDay Grass 3D has fibers that are twisted in order to prevent spilling when the surface is rolled. Over time, Keyes said this will hopefully help the surface remain soft -- an issue they had with the FieldTurf.