Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E04: Pressure Cooker

Laura tries to convince Kirk to have a baby, but he's reluctant. Elsewhere, Erik wants to prepare a romantic Valentine's Day meal for Nadine; Toi becomes ill; Sam and Laura gear up for their honeymoon adventure, yet anxiety threatens to derail the trip.

Nadine & Erik:  Erik, I hope you learned one of the most valuable lessons in life: Be careful what you wish for.  You wanted a bigger family?  You got it.  You got a crazy, insufferable, neurotic family in the form of Nadine and her male counterpart brother.  My God, hearing Pierre talking to Erik whilst helping him cook was like listening to Nadine's incessant neurosis.  I think I now know why Nadine thinks her way is always the right way and that her shit doesn't stink - her father.  Seriously, no child is perfect, pal, and stop telling your child that she is.

I find it hard to believe that Erik truly did a sudden 180° on wanting a child.  You don't go from, "I'm relieved we're not pregnant because I want to wait a little while," to full-blown Tom Cruise jumping up and down on the furniture crazy happy.  Methinks he was severely overcompensating because of how Nadine reacts/reacted when he's not on the same exact page as her.  (Like in the last episode where she's all, "It's okay, honey, you can say you're relieved," when the pregnancy test was negative.  So he says it and she storms away pouting.)  He knows he can't win, so he does what he needs to do to make her happy.  That is his "drug" afterall.  Excuse me while I get my eyes unstuck from the back of my head from rolling them too hard.

Kirk & Laura:  Does he have a father who has twin 6-year-olds at the age of 63?  Hmmm, he never seemed to mention that before or how that's his nightmare when he gets to retirement age.  (Damn, my eyes got stuck again.)

So like Erik, he was able to turn his feelings about wanting a family from, "It's my nightmare," to "Okay, sure, honey, let's do it!"?  Either Laura is going to find herself miserable and alone in a few years with little kids or the producers are trying too hard to create a storyline for them by telling him to pretend to be resistant to starting a family right away.  Other than that, there's not much to say about them in this episode.

Toi & Rouvaun:  It sucks that Toi must suffer through Lupus, but she seems to have struck gold with finding a very caring husband.  I think out of all of the couples thus far, they probably have the best chance for making it.

Sam & Laura:  They seemed a little more into each other and like an actual couple who could possibly make it than they did in the previous episodes.  I know that their honeymoon trip(s) is a dream come true for a lot of people, and it seemed wonderful, but for them.  For me?  Eh, not so much.  I would love to see those countries, but I don't think I'd do it for a honeymoon.  I will fully admit that I am the tropical, lie on the beach relaxing type of vacationer and I don't want to feel completely exhausted at the end from constantly doing touristy stuff, nor do I want to fear contracting some disease.  First world problems, I know.  But don't get me wrong, I'd still feel fortunate to go to those countries under different vacation circumstances and plans, though.

All in all, this episode seemed rather boring.  Meh.

• Love 1

Wait...the two guys who were cooking together aren't one of the couples? The guy Erik is married to a woman? Really?

I haven't watched this yet this season. I would have bet my life he wasn't married to a woman.

• Love 4
(edited)

From the recap:

They then use the same (possibly urine-coated) phone to call Erik's sister, who tearfully tells them she'll be praying for them, and might I suggest that she pray for Nadine to actually be pregnant, since there's a solid chance that she isn't and this is going to end in crushing disappointment for everyone?

That was Erik's mother, actually.  She's a nun, hence "Sister Brigid." (also, the praying)  Confusing, I know!

Edited by Lovecat
  • Love 1
(edited)

I think I understand Nadine and Erik better now (or know all that I need to know).

Erik, at the age of 42, somehow thinks he needs a mentor. By that age, you'd think he'd have found someone to look up to, and that sourpuss dad of Nadine's would not be my choice.

Nadine, a grown woman, still envisions herself as daddy's perfect little angel. She is insufferable, and now we all know why. It's not an accomplishment to have flown on the Concorde three times by the time you're 8, by the way, or whatever that BS was. She didn't do something to deserve it. She just happened to be daddy's little angel.

Edited by jennylauren123
  • Love 4

Seriously...I'm pregnant (it's not public yet to our friends or colleagues...just umm, to the anonymous Internet here). I waited until I was 8 weeks and had heard a heartbeat to even tell my parents. Who makes an announcement to their entire family the moment the pee dries? Get it confirmed, think about miscarriage risk (which, by the way, is frighteningly high at that early stage) and make decisions on who you want to know that early and who you want to be aware of it if something does go wrong.

The awkward overly-precise way both Nadine and Erik speak is super annoying. Every scene they're in sounds to my ear like a drag queen version of Felix Unger doing a one-man show.

• Love 5

There was no doubt in my mind that Nadine was pregnant. Nadine actually looked pregnant. I seriously doubt that what we saw was the actual discovery of this news by these two. I think they felt so comfortable calling everyone because she was likely already 2 or 3 months along.

These couples are really booooring compared to last season's. I'm having trouble staying awake while I'm watching!

I feel so bad for Toi, but she has the best husband.

Are we going to have to listen to Kirk and Laura discuss whether they are going to have a baby or not every single week? Kirk has all these excuses but they should have discussed this subject before they got married.

Sam and Laura are both neurotic. I don't know if that's a good thing.

Nadine and Erik seems to be the couple they are focusing on the most. They haven't known each other that long, she's was raised to think she was a perfect princess, and now they are having a baby. Good luck with that.

• Love 2

Erik: (Earnestly, of course) "If anyone can do this, it's us."

Right, Erik, because so few people in the world have had babies.

This couple just irks, irks, irks. Her overtime mouth, his constant puss-face. The constant "I love you" and "Oh, pie!" Really, they bug!

• Love 5

I have a Samantha and Laura question.  Why does Samantha have to make out a will?  If she's married to Laura and something happened to her, wouldn't her assets immediately go to her wife?  I assume they got married when same sex marriage became legal in NY.  

• Love 1

I don't think that's automatic if assets are in a trust, which is the case with the money from Sam's mom. I'm pretty sure a will would specifically state otherwise. And it's likely set up that Sam and her brother get x amounts disbursed from the trust when they reach certain ages.

It's both sad and creepy how desperate Erik is to be close to and accepted by Nadine's dad and brother. I think he referred to him as "Dad." Give it a little time for relationships to evolve naturally! I get that that's not his M.O. but just because they're your wife's relatives, you're not instant super close family.

• Love 4

It makes me laugh that they keep showing tractors when they transition to Toi in Hayward, but then show their lovely home which is definitely not a farm house.   Hayward is 30 miles from San Jose and 30 miles from San Francisco.  They have Berkeley up the road, and Stanford right across the Bay.  They aren't exactly in the middle of farm country unless you mean tech companies.

Erik and Nadine with a child...I'm not sure how I feel about that!  Nadine would need to grow up fast and get used to making someone else her priority and I don't think she'd like that.

• Love 2

This couple just irks, irks, irks. Her overtime mouth, his constant puss-face. The constant "I love you" and "Oh, pie!" Really, they bug!

Those two are sooo exhausting to watch. All of these couples (except Toi and her hubby) remind me why I'm happily divorced.

Suckers. 

• Love 2
(edited)

I don't think that's automatic if assets are in a trust, which is the case with the money from Sam's mom. I'm pretty sure a will would specifically state otherwise. And it's likely set up that Sam and her brother get x amounts disbursed from the trust when they reach certain ages.

It's both sad and creepy how desperate Erik is to be close to and accepted by Nadine's dad and brother. I think he referred to him as "Dad." Give it a little time for relationships to evolve naturally! I get that that's not his M.O. but just because they're your wife's relatives, you're not instant super close family.

I noticed the Dad thing too last night, although I'm sure Eric has said it before. Haven't he and Nadine been together less than a year? So he's saying "Dad" to someone he didn't know a year ago?

Other than that I like him, and think his dinner was sweet. I don't know if Nadine was distracted by the pregnancy, but she didn't seem that into or appreciative of dinner.

Toi's husband is the best of the bunch, although they all were fairly likeable this episode.

Edited by TaxNerd
Nadine and Erik seems to be the couple they are focusing on the most. They haven't known each other that long, she's was raised to think she was a perfect princess, and now they are having a baby. Good luck with that.

I was thinking pretty much the same thing. Erik's jumping all over with excitement and all I could think was, "If she turns into a complete bitch on your honeymoon, what do you think she's going to be like when she's all hopped up on the hormones and grown out of all her princess dresses?" Poor dumb bastard -- he'll never know what hit him. (Hint: It was Nadine, with a heavy blunt object.)

• Love 5

Did anyone notice that the travel advice from the doctor to Lauren and Sam was 'do not touch the animals'?  So maybe Nadine wasn't crazy.  Maybe she got the same advice.

• Love 3

Did anyone notice that the travel advice from the doctor to Lauren and Sam was 'do not touch the animals'?  So maybe Nadine wasn't crazy.  Maybe she got the same advice.

It's standard advice when traveling to less developed countries.  Stay away from farms, animals, etc., because they have parasites (and poop and poop with parasites).  The form you fill out for US Customs when you return even asks if you've been on a farm or touched animals.

So Nadine wasn't crazy to be concerned, though her reaction and the way she was arguing about it was OTT.

(edited)

I am in agreement that they knew before filming that little segment that she was pregnant, because for REAL who calls the second the pee dries on the stick?? my SIL announced to FB that she was pregnant at 8 weeks and I even thought that was crazy.  But to each their own I guess?

I think Nadine is going to be a super controlling, psycho, narcissist mother and I hope to got Erik doesn't sit on the sidelines and is passive, but I think he will be.

Why they were so in a rush to have a baby after knowing each other less than a year is BEYOND ME. The only people I know who have had babies and gotten married in that short amount of time was because it was an accidental pregnancy and certainly not ideal situation...How old is Nadine?

And Nadine and her brother are exactly alike..exhausting.

I like Rauvon and Toi, I think they will make it. :-) :-)

Also I totally zoned out during Sams horse segment..ok you have anxiety...rich girl does expensive hobby to cope with said anxiety...moving on...

Edited by yogi2014L
  • Love 5

I'm pretty sure Nadine said she's 32.

Nadine, her brother, & "Dad" just suck the life out of the room. The cooking scene was beyond annoying and awkward.

What I want to know is, why are 3 out of the 4 couples so hung up on babies just a few months in? The previews show Laura and Sam exploring sperm donor options and we know about the other two. It's just so strange to me.

I love Rouvan, I really like Toi/Rouvan together.

• Love 1

Kirk & Laura:  Does he have a father who has twin 6-year-olds at the age of 63?  Hmmm, he never seemed to mention that before or how that's his nightmare when he gets to retirement age.  (Damn, my eyes got stuck again.)

It's been mentioned in most episodes that have aired so far. His father is who they had dinner with early in the episode, his father is who he was with when test driving the corvette in a previous episode. His father and the twins were mentioned in the very first episode when prepping for the wedding during rehersal etc.

Erik: (Earnestly, of course) "If anyone can do this, it's us."

Right, Erik, because so few people in the world have had babies.

I don't think he meant it like that. He means the fact that they've been together less than a year so have had no real life together yet and are going to bring a baby in which messes up everything, it'd be them that can do it. He's right, there are a lot of people out there that just can't do that. I wish them well/good luck with it.

• Love 1
(edited)

It's been mentioned in most episodes that have aired so far. His father is who they had dinner with early in the episode, his father is who he was with when test driving the corvette in a previous episode. His father and the twins were mentioned in the very first episode when prepping for the wedding during rehersal etc.

I was being completely sarcastic, KarmaG. Hence the "Damn, my eyes got stuck again" remark because I rolled them too hard. ;) It's clearly been mentioned in full each. and. every. time. his father makes an appearance.

Edited by LIGirl
  • Love 3

I was being completely sarcastic, KarmaG. Hence the "Damn, my eyes got stuck again" remark because I rolled them too hard. ;) It's clearly been mentioned in full each. and. every. time. his father makes an appearance.

Unfortunately, sarcasm isn't always obvious in text form and since I don't know you, the "damn my eyes got stuck" was not an obvious clue either. Have a nice day.

Unfortunately, sarcasm isn't always obvious in text form and since I don't know you, the "damn my eyes got stuck" was not an obvious clue either. Have a nice day.

Understood, but I just thought my previous sentence stating, "Excuse me while I get my eyes unstuck from the back of my head from rolling them too hard," in my remarks about Nadine and Erik would be a nod to my sarcasm with Kirk. Oh, well. Have a great day, too!

• Love 3

I don't think he meant it like that. He means the fact that they've been together less than a year so have had no real life together yet and are going to bring a baby in which messes up everything, it'd be them that can do it. He's right, there are a lot of people out there that just can't do that. I wish them well/good luck with it.

That makes more sense. Thank you!

• Love 1

Understood, but I just thought my previous sentence stating, "Excuse me while I get my eyes unstuck from the back of my head from rolling them too hard," in my remarks about Nadine and Erik would be a nod to my sarcasm with Kirk. Oh, well. Have a great day, too!

I laughed. :)

• Love 1

I have a Samantha and Laura question.  Why does Samantha have to make out a will?  If she's married to Laura and something happened to her, wouldn't her assets immediately go to her wife?  I assume they got married when same sex marriage became legal in NY.  

Sam should definitely make out a will. I've seen enough family drama happen after someone dies without a will that IMO, everyone needs a will. I don't care if you only have two pennies to rub together....you should write up a quick will.

Toi and her husband are my favorites. I definitely think they will go far. They are clearly supportive of one another and they laugh often with each other - I love that.

• Love 2

I've seen (& have been involved with) family drama WITH a will, so imagine how much worse it'd be without it. If I were Laura, I wouldn't trust that family to do right by me. Dad has shown his unscrupulous ways (hello, felon) & I don't think the brother thinks much of his SIL (meaning, I don't see their relationship as "playful sibling banter" as much as mutual disrespect, distrust, & dislike). I can believe the brother would screw her over.

• Love 3

I missed how long Sam and Laura had been dating before marriage - does anyone know?

Maybe it's because I feel their marriage isn't going to last that I sort of snicker at the will drama. 

WAIT! This blog isn't even going to touch on the fact that Erik married Nadine or whatever her name is, so he could be close to her gay brother? Ummmmm HELLO! Those two were totally flirting In The kitchen! So for all the readers wondering "why did these two get married?" It's so those two could have a secret love affair....

• Love 1

Really? I didn't get that at all. I saw two dorks in the kitchen bantering, one being a straight up loser asshole thinking he's an authority on something (aka male Nadine) and the other being desperate to please/ thinking he's funny- Erick.

• Love 6

I thought in the first episode we learned Sam and Laura had been together eight years. So they may be more compatible than what we are seeing.

• Love 1

I'm pretty sure Nadine said she's 32.

Nadine, her brother, & "Dad" just suck the life out of the room. The cooking scene was beyond annoying and awkward.

What I want to know is, why are 3 out of the 4 couples so hung up on babies just a few months in? The previews show Laura and Sam exploring sperm donor options and we know about the other two. It's just so strange to me.

I love Rouvan, I really like Toi/Rouvan together.

Laura and Kirk make sense to me for wanting babies-theyve been together 4 years, she seems to be aware of her clock lol, 

NOT sure of why the other two are in a rush. Especially Erik and Nadine. Like chill the eff out and get to know each other!!! At first I thought maybe Nadine was like 35-37 or something which would maybe explain the total rush to get married and have kids if she was wanting that, but 32 you still have time to actually get to know the person you are procreating with. DISASTER