Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E19: Young Hearts Spark Fire

paigow

Team Scorpion's helicopter crashes while on a mission to save lost hikers. The crash ignites a massive wildfire that quickly closes in on them. Meanwhile, Sylvester tries to help the injured pilot who is unable to make it to safer ground.

Edited by paigow
  • Love 1

I was really invested in this, I raised my hand at the helicopter!  Wow. 

Odd how little Ralph is around the story line lately and how Paige just keeps almost getting killed without mentioning it.

LOVED the Happy and Toby show.  Total shipper here.

It was a great visual to have Sylvester carrying the man but is that even possible?  They had to be almost equal weight if you factor in muscle.  Still he got the hero part...well except Walter's always the hero. 

Still love the show. :)

• Love 1

My post seems to have disappeared (into smoke? flames? ash?) so let's try again:

Was it just me, or was the science better in this episode?

Totally teared up when Syl carried his military father figure out of the smoke fireman style.

• Love 2

That fire was very SyFy made movie like.

The next time Sylvester doesn't want to go on a helicopter maybe they should listen, or he should at least go with his fears.

I was really invested in this, I raised my hand at the helicopter!  Wow. 

Odd how little Ralph is around the story line lately and how Paige just keeps almost getting killed without mentioning it.

LOVED the Happy and Toby show.  Total shipper here.

It was a great visual to have Sylvester carrying the man but is that even possible?  They had to be almost equal weight if you factor in muscle.  Still he got the hero part...well except Walter's always the hero. 

Still love the show. :)

Maybe the leverage provided by the angle of the belts allowed him to get some traction, hence his reduced speed. Also, they were going down a hill, so gravity was in their favor.

How much smoke did everyone inhale? Shouldn't EVERYBODY be hospitalized at least 24 hrs?  

Yeah, they probably need to be hospitalized for longer than that given the smoke exposure. One time I burned a washcloth a little bit in the microwave (had none of those hot/cold packs you can put on your back) and when I opened the microwave and just got a tiny face full of smoke/fumes (it had a tiny little char mark on it, not even on fire, had just started to smoke a bit) and I had to go to the doctor that weekend because it singed some of the hairs in my nose & caused some temporary damage which made it difficult for me to breathe for a few weeks (But then again, I do have asthma, so it was a combination of RAD & Asthma, but still)

• Love 1

I hated Toby dropping the phone and making an excuse for how he instinctively *had to* throw himself on Happy. Bad, sexist instinct, moron! Chivalry is culture, not instinct, and will get you all killed; at least hold onto the fucking communication device if you are determined to allow conditioning to override reason-- it's your one responsibility! And stop infantilizing the woman you think you love; it's the main reason she's hesitant about the relationship.

Another episode of "Scorpion", another example of Sylvester whining about some new fear/phobia/hang-up followed by conquering his fear/phobia/hang-up followed by everyone telling him what a great hero he is for overcoming his fear/phobia/hang-up.  No offense to the actor who plays him, but I absolutely hate this guy!  Someone please give him a job in an office or something, because he REALLY shouldn't be working in the field.  He's the kind of person who gets people killed.

Otherwise, I kind of enjoyed the show.  I like all the other characters, especially Toby, and the science behind the search for the missing hikers, the "proper" order to exit the helicopter, and the way they sent the smoke signal up was all pretty cool.

What was the team's original plan for rescuing the hikers (before the fire started)?  Were they going to locate them down below and then send in a rescue copter to pick them up later?  That seemed less-than-optimal, especially since there was a good possibility that one or more of the hikers would be injured.  I thought they'd put the team in a big helicopter that seats 15 people so they could have the team, a set of paramedics, and room for the hikers.

When Cade declined to go on the helicopter, I thought it was going to turn out that he was scared of flying in them, too, just like Sylvester! lol

• Love 1

So the Terminator guy couldn't go along on the mission because it was important that Katherine McPhee go instead?  Why, exactly?

Amazing how Sylvester was able to do a fireman's carry even though the guy had a giant piece of shrapnel in the middle of his thigh.  How does that work?  Amazing too how he and the helicopter pilot waited out a firestorm and when they crawled out of the pipe, had no problem kneeling and laying on the grassy ground that had just been in flames.  Because the embers wouldn't be hot or anything.

A show about geniuses shouldn't require viewers to be stupid to buy in to what they're doing.

• Love 5

This show makes little sense & I get frustrated if I think about certain aspects of it for too long, but I still enjoy it a silly amount. There's something genius going on that's causing me to look forward to each episode.

I can't help but be on Toby's annoying side in his interactions with Happy & with Walter. He may be slightly awkward in his approach, but I appreciate his emotion. I also find him amusing.

When substitute dad/military man told Sylvester he'd be proud to call him son I think the smoke drifted off the TV & got in my eyes for a moment & caused them to water.

• Love 9

So the Terminator guy couldn't go along on the mission because it was important that Katherine McPhee go instead?  Why, exactly?

Amazing how Sylvester was able to do a fireman's carry even though the guy had a giant piece of shrapnel in the middle of his thigh.  How does that work?  Amazing too how he and the helicopter pilot waited out a firestorm and when they crawled out of the pipe, had no problem kneeling and laying on the grassy ground that had just been in flames.  Because the embers wouldn't be hot or anything.

A show about geniuses shouldn't require viewers to be stupid to buy in to what they're doing.

Amazing how Sylvester and the pilot got over or around the crevice that required the rest of the team and the lost hikers to rope swing over (and that the rope swing or the branch it was on hadn't burned away in the meantime).

Still - can't bring myself to care about or think about those things too much, it's like an old A-Team episode, a fun ride if you suspend logic.  Which is probabaly because the actors are pretty good (even Katherine) and they seem to be giving it their all without taking it to seriously either.  Both Paige and Happy grated in the first 3-4 episodes and they've even grown on me as time goes by.

• Love 4

Thought it was better then last episode (no ferrets with the cure in their bloodstream at least), but it was certainly hilariously ridiculous as always.  But, maybe thanks to CSI:Cyber currently on the airwaves, I'm at least glad this show kind of knows it's ridiculous on some level.  I mean, even the characters were acknowledging that Happy creating a rope swing to get over a cliff, was far out there.  And, of course, it totally works.

Odd theme over having both Walter and Toby be so overprotective of their potential love interests.  At least with Walter, he still kind of in denial over it.  Toby though, really is coming off a bit too chauvinistic for my taste.  I don't blame Happy for getting annoyed with him over losing the phone in order to "heroically" throw himself on her; especially when Happy has shown herself to actually be the toughest person on this team (baring maybe Cabe.)

Another mission; another phobia Sly has to conquer.  At times, I wonder how he's survived so long.  I wonder if we'll ever meet this military-like father of his. 

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 2
it's like an old A-Team episode, a fun ride if you suspend logic.

Yes!  This...exactly.  This show has a total cartoon aspect to it, so you have to put yourself in that preposterous world and suspend your logic and disbelief.  Taken on that level, this show rocks.

Though the faux html continues to bug.  Everytime I see the "</blahblah>" thing come up, I automatically think "close tag blahblah" and that makes no sense.

• Love 1

I am happy to agree with the cartoon aspect.  Since Sylvester said the whole gully or some such would cover with smoke I assume they had to go uphill first....however before I gave up I'd cut my own leg off and crawl so that guy's saying leave me was all plot point.

I hate to see that these episodes are making people negative on Sylvester.  Without him the whole find the nearest accessible rescue point math wouldn't have been done, the helicopter wouldn't have emptied right - oh, it didn't anyway :) - and at least half of the brainpower in the team comes from him.  Walter supposedly could do it but not as fast I guess since he's always asking Sylvester to do it for him.

I like the character development for him. The dating Walter's sister, the freaking out at things that rightfully so are dangerous and the bit of backstory.  I LOVE that he bucked his beer crushing Dad to stay true to himself.

The writer's, in my opinion, have written themselves into a much deeper hole with Paige.  They cannot have the kid be the glue that hold's her to the team and yet almost dying repeatedly with NO ONE mentioning it.  Even with the hand holding she said nothing about Ralph?  Ridiculous.

Toby is obsessive...and he's transferred that to Happy.  Yep, even I knew you can't unbuckle yourself from a flying object without becoming a projectile but I think he just didn't care.   

Besides it's this show! 

• Love 3

Amazing how Sylvester and the pilot got over or around the crevice that required the rest of the team and the lost hikers to rope swing over (and that the rope swing or the branch it was on hadn't burned away in the meantime).

Sylvester and the pilot only had to go from the crash site to the basin. The rest of them had walked farther off to get to the missing hikers. So (in an episode full of unreasonable things) I do think it's reasonable that from where the rest of them were to the meet point, the most direct route led forced them to cross the ravine, especially once "direct" includes "not flamey". It seems possible to me that since Sylvester and the Pilot were coming to the meet point from somewhere else, their path didn't necessarily cross the same ravine.
  • Love 4

Sylvester being afraid of helicopters at least makes some sense - they do get in accidents more frequently than other forms of aerial transportation. Particularly in high winds.

• Love 1

I hated Toby dropping the phone and making an excuse for how he instinctively *had to* throw himself on Happy. Bad, sexist instinct, moron! Chivalry is culture, not instinct, and will get you all killed; at least hold onto the fucking communication device if you are determined to allow conditioning to override reason-- it's your one responsibility! And stop infantilizing the woman you think you love; it's the main reason she's hesitant about the relationship.

I personally didn't see this as Toby being sexist. I don't think he was protecting Happy because he thinks the man needs to protect the woman, but more simply as he was protecting the person he loves. I think if she were to one day do the same for him, he would be fine with it.

• Love 1

Aahhhh!!  If you're lost hiking you stay in one spot, you don't keep wandering around and getting more lost!!

That was all I could think of, LOL.  Stop wandering around, church hiking group!

Oh dear.  So Walter has to tell the experienced search and rescue pilot the right place to crash. I don't hate Walter, but I get a little tired of the show constantly having him do heroic things.  Not so much making Paige leave the helicopter before him but doing the Tarzan swing first, last one through the wall of flame, etc. 

I do like Toby but also LOLd at his genius knowledge of the lovebirds from the picture - hey I could tell that too!  Maybe I'm a genius??  Hee.  I liked the opening scenes with him and Happy.

I don't think he was protecting Happy because he thinks the man needs to protect the woman, but more simply as he was protecting the person he loves. I think if she were to one day do the same for him, he would be fine with it.

I agree; he would probably think it was cool if she protected him.  Plus she busted his chops about breaking the phone so it was OK IMO.

Sylvester bonding with gruff pilot ("I ate grubs" "Good for you" hee hee) was terribly corny but worked for me.  OK, the whole show is a big corny cartoon but works for me, it's kind of a relief after a lot of the murder, zombies and mayhem stuff I watch.

• Love 4

Oh dear.  So Walter has to tell the experienced search and rescue pilot the right place to crash. I don't hate Walter, but I get a little tired of the show constantly having him do heroic things.

It also bothered me that after crashing a helicopter no one seemed concerned about the possibility that futzing with the wiring and creating sparks might cause a wildfire (+/- the possibility of leaking fuel)? I mean I don't need a clunktastic line establishing it but even the pilot seemed surprised and I'm like, dude, you should not be surprised right now.
  • Love 2

I mean I don't need a clunktastic line establishing it but even the pilot seemed surprised and I'm like, dude, you should not be surprised right now.

Yeah sometimes the show falls into the trap of making the "regular experts" look kind of dumb and/or helpless so the geniuses can look more geniusy.  But this is the show that Paige out on a military operation for whatever reason.

• Love 1

I'm totally ok with the unrealistic nature of this show, if only because the show knows it's somewhat ridiculous (the promo for next week with the SUPER SWEET RIDE and all...)

Edited by Yeldarbe

...It was a great visual to have Sylvester carrying the man but is that even possible?  They had to be almost equal weight if you factor in muscle.  Still he got the hero part...well except Walter's always the hero.

I'm thinking more and more that Sylvester--who does, after all, more closely resemble Walter O'Brien--is the real depiction of W O'B, and Walter on the show is more of his comic book alter-ego. As I find myself dwelling more and more on this theory of the characters of the show, I can't help but carry it to the next logical step of Happy and Toby also being representations of the original Walter's identity--except Toby seems more like Original Walter's personal Jimiiny Cricket/conscience. Paige, OTH, IMO, represents the girl of his dreams, who he could never have. So, of course, in the show, his alter-ego superhero self does get the girl.
  • Love 1

One thing that bugged me was Sylvester trying to drag the pilot.   It looked like it was taking them about a minute to go ten feet.  The pilot looked like a very fit guy... and being a badass... couldn't he have at least started out doing some sort of crab walk or other 3-limb ambulation?   I would think they would have been able to get a whole lot farther a whole lot quicker that way.   

Sylvester still could have carried along the helicopter door thingy in case they needed it at some point, so he'd have it handy for the hide from the flames in the metal tube trick.

At least then it would have been easier to believe that Sylvester carried the pilot the rest of the way, if it seemed like it wasn't the majority of the distance.   

The door-stretcher-sled just seemed so ridiculously ineffective. 

ETA:   I have to add that I did like the dynamic between the two, and especially the "damn proud to call you my son" moment at the end.

Edited by AnnaRose
  • Love 1
AnnaRose, I think blood loss was a big factor. And IRL he'd likely have died when all of the moving around that he did do caused the metal shard to completely sever his artery. Remaining conscious and able to speak the "would be proud to have you as my son" line was probably the most unbelievable bit in this episode, and the biggest miracle was that it worked emotionally for the audience.
  • Love 2

I feel like I just watched an episode of the Perils of Pauline.  The only things missing were an earthquake and a volcano eruption.

This episode was indeed pretty terrible. I mean a lot of them are, but they hinge on a balance point that usually makes them marginally less ludicrous than CSI Cyber.

This one? Was kind of CSI Cyber level terrible.

AnnaRose, I think blood loss was a big factor. And IRL he'd likely have died when all of the moving around that he did do caused the metal shard to completely sever his artery. Remaining conscious and able to speak the "would be proud to have you as my son" line was probably the most unbelievable bit in this episode, and the biggest miracle was that it worked emotionally for the audience.

True.  But the way they did it, they were barely moving. At all.   Even sitting on his butt, using the good leg to push off while Sylvester helped, seems like it would have gotten them farther from the approaching flames.  But maybe, as you said, that would have been too much or made it worse.  

If I'm supposed to buy Sylvester carrying him all that distance, I'd still find it easier to buy the injured guy at least scooting on his butt... at least for a while.  I'm sure that wouldn't translate as well on screen though. ;)

• Love 1
(edited)

Sylvester being afraid of helicopters at least makes some sense - they do get in accidents more frequently than other forms of aerial transportation. Particularly in high winds.

I was won over when Sylvester called the helicopter "a box held aloft by a lawnmower blade" and "something invented by Leonardo Da Vinci five hundred years ago!" The "I ate grubs..." / "Good for you!" exchange was just a bonus.

This show, as ridiculous as it is, has an amiable quality that the blowhard CSI: Geek Starring James Van Der Beek can never match. The comments upthread about the show having the saving grace of not taking itself too seriously are bang-on.

Edited by Sandman
  • Love 1