Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

A 45 minute hair tutorial from JRod. I got through about five minutes, after which I had to turn it off when she plastered a poor little boy's hair with half a can of hairspray, then topped it off with some mousse, then another coating of shellack for good measure! I think they may use more hairspray than the Duggars! 

You don't have to watch it; I just want to prove that this craziness actually exists! LOL

This video is so disturbing on so many levels.  I actually watched it to the end because I just couldn't turn it off.  Jill was clearly at her limit as she got to the last couple of girls, their hair was not done well, and she got so rough with them!  My heart broke for those little girls (and boys).  She was extremely hung up on how thin the youngest girl's (Hannie?) hair was... umm - she looks completely undernourished, maybe start there??  The poor thing was trying to eat rubber bands for crying out loud!  And the baby was on the dirty floor with a pencil (Jill didn't notice til the next shot when she removed said pencil). 

How do all of the children look so malnourished and underfed when their dad is overweight?  So disgusting.  I'm going to stop my rant here before I get ugly.

• Love 11

I'm all for Jim Bob and Michelle losing.  Losing  the undeserved wonderful parents reputation they tried to build while they were following Gothard blindly and 'training' all of their children to do the same - literally putting them in harms way with endless trips to Journey of the Heart.  Hitting them with rods and hiding behind mother of the year awards with a molester sin in the camp.  Keeping 14 children in 2 bedrooms sleeping in each other's beds while posting fertility charts for all the children to know when they were doing it.  It's sick.  That's why I want them to lose. 

• Love 15

This. And not to get diverted into the bottomless, Fellini-esque pit of my existence, but it pings at me in a personal way because I am a gay lady who was married to a man for 20 years. While my determination to remain a faithful wife was self-imposed and not at all based in any kind of religion, and I did not face the risk of losing everyone I cared about when I finally came out after my divorce, I know what it is to be living like that. I know what "holy shit, I am NOT getting this right at all" and blaming yourself feels like, day in, day out, year after year after year, and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy, or David Waller.

As a straight woman myself I'm wondering if it's more difficult to be a gay man married to a woman than a gay woman who is married to a man. In other words, David has to get it up somehow with Priscilla while Priscilla just has to be joyfully available. I wonder if Priscilla could be gay as well.  I wonder if she would know or think about it.  David is managing it somehow, probably closing his eyes and thinking about other things.  Priscilla may just wait for it to be over, like a crucifiction.

As a straight woman myself I'm wondering if it's more difficult to be a gay man married to a woman than a gay woman who is married to a man. In other words, David has to get it up somehow with Priscilla while Priscilla just has to be joyfully available. I wonder if Priscilla could be gay as well. I wonder if she would know or think about it. David is managing it somehow, probably closing his eyes and thinking about other things. Priscilla may just wait for it to be over, like a crucifiction.

I don't think it's as simple to define 'ease' - as just the physiology of getting an erection vs lying there. Erections can be cause by emotional or physical stimulation, and then end of both result in some pleasure for the man, but a physical reaction and temporary pleasure feeling doesn't equal love or affection, gay or straight.

We have to consider their viewpoint too. There is no 'born this way' or 'environmental influences' to them*. Any attraction that isn't a married man his wife and a married woman to her husband is unrighteously fulfilled sin. No ifs, ands, or buts. One man married to one woman. Forget all those biblical patriarchs with multiple wives and concubines, or what the OT says about divorce. It's all or nothing rules with this bunch. No wiggle room.

David says he's straight and is married to a woman. Maybe he's just more outwardly effeminant than most men. Maybe he has no attraction to men. No matter what, he acts like he's ready to grab Prisc by the shoulders and shake her, and he's condescending to everyone. From their blog and stories like the pecan story, I don't think he just had a tone of voice that sounds judge mental and condescending. He is definitely self righteous and condescending.

Prisc - I don't think she is gay. I just think she is overwhelmed and confused as to why following all these rules doesn't create a fairy tale life like she's been promised.

David - and the Keilen guy - well all of them - if they are only taught that any impulse or feeling or urge - whether emotional, hormonal, intended, or just happening - is sin that is to be supressed, and that all sins are equal, then they're going to have a lot of anger, resentment and confusion about everything.

All sin may be offensive to a Holy, perfect God, but sins have different human consequences. If I steal a pencil from school or murder someone, both are sin and disease from to God, but the consequences are vastly different. Steal a pencil, we find another one. Murder someone, and a life is ended, plus that person's family, friends, coworkers, society, etc are all effected.

Have a same sex attraction - you must suppress it. Opposite attraction - you must marry it or suppress it. Nothing else. Act on anything else, and the devil made you do it.

*Because there have been some recent, legit studies, that suggest homosexual attraction is sometimes genetic (born), sometimes due to outside influences like environmental factors (chemical, etc), sometimes due to social factors (if your society accepts it, you're more likely to act on impulses), and the brain can reprogram or rewire itself to reinforce or weaken attraction Influenced by environment and society. Summary = gay or straight isn't 100% black or white determined by one singe factor in 100% of people. Some are genetically born certajn ways, some have other factors that influence and can sort of 'choose' their identity. Forcing anyone to do anything is whole other ethical and legal issue.

• Love 7

I wonder what the Gothard teachings are regarding wet dreams. (Is there a term for the female equivalent? Have never known of one.) I can guess. Satan is getting into your dreams. Off to the prayer closet.

Even creepier is the idea that the kids probably feel they must advise their parents about these.

• Love 5

I wonder what the Gothard teachings are regarding wet dreams. (Is there a term for the female equivalent? Have never known of one.) I can guess. Satan is getting into your dreams. Off to the prayer closet.

Even creepier is the idea that the kids probably feel they must advise their parents about these.

I'm thinking one of those wisdom books or maybe that recovering grace blog mentioned that boys are supposed to report that, and one dad was insistent to asking his son (that was in the blog) in detail about nocturnal emissions, etc.

I don't think women's needs matter as long as legs are closed pre-marriage and they are joyfully available after marriage.

• Love 3

I don't think it's as simple to define 'ease' - as just the physiology of getting an erection vs lying there. Erections can be cause by emotional or physical stimulation, and then end of both result in some pleasure for the man, but a physical reaction and temporary pleasure feeling doesn't equal love or affection, gay or straight.

We have to consider their viewpoint too. There is no 'born this way' or 'environmental influences' to them*. Any attraction that isn't a married man his wife and a married woman to her husband is unrighteously fulfilled sin. No ifs, ands, or buts. One man married to one woman. Forget all those biblical patriarchs with multiple wives and concubines, or what the OT says about divorce. It's all or nothing rules with this bunch. No wiggle room.

David says he's straight and is married to a woman. Maybe he's just more outwardly effeminant than most men. Maybe he has no attraction to men. No matter what, he acts like he's ready to grab Prisc by the shoulders and shake her, and he's condescending to everyone. From their blog and stories like the pecan story, I don't think he just had a tone of voice that sounds judge mental and condescending. He is definitely self righteous and condescending.

Prisc - I don't think she is gay. I just think she is overwhelmed and confused as to why following all these rules doesn't create a fairy tale life like she's been promised.

David - and the Keilen guy - well all of them - if they are only taught that any impulse or feeling or urge - whether emotional, hormonal, intended, or just happening - is sin that is to be supressed, and that all sins are equal, then they're going to have a lot of anger, resentment and confusion about everything.

All sin may be offensive to a Holy, perfect God, but sins have different human consequences. If I steal a pencil from school or murder someone, both are sin and disease from to God, but the consequences are vastly different. Steal a pencil, we find another one. Murder someone, and a life is ended, plus that person's family, friends, coworkers, society, etc are all effected.

Have a same sex attraction - you must suppress it. Opposite attraction - you must marry it or suppress it. Nothing else. Act on anything else, and the devil made you do it.

*Because there have been some recent, legit studies, that suggest homosexual attraction is sometimes genetic (born), sometimes due to outside influences like environmental factors (chemical, etc), sometimes due to social factors (if your society accepts it, you're more likely to act on impulses), and the brain can reprogram or rewire itself to reinforce or weaken attraction Influenced by environment and society. Summary = gay or straight isn't 100% black or white determined by one singe factor in 100% of people. Some are genetically born certajn ways, some have other factors that influence and can sort of 'choose' their identity. Forcing anyone to do anything is whole other ethical and legal issue.

Thanks for your insightful explanations.  I think I doubt David's sincerity.  Like a Josh type I wonder if he really minds getting unrighteously fulfilled. Whether or not he is gay, or 50 shades of gray, I wonder if he partakes (secretly of course) in desires that he finds more satisfying.  I don't buy his whole honesty routine, from the made up Halloween story, to the Pecan Grove I think he's making up a lot of crap.  So I don't think he would be above chasing down some dreams elsewhere.  Priscilla, I think she's sincere in the sense that she isn't intentionally dishonest, but ever since she compared getting married to being crucified I have to wonder if she's not into the whole sex with David either - for whatever reason.  David doesn't want to leave the fold even if he has to live in it dishonestly (imo) while Priscilla believes this is the right way to be happy. 

• Love 4

Thanks for your insightful explanations. I think I doubt David's sincerity. Like a Josh type I wonder if he really minds getting unrighteously fulfilled. Whether or not he is gay, or 50 shades of gray, I wonder if he partakes (secretly of course) in desires that he finds more satisfying. I don't buy his whole honesty routine, from the made up Halloween story, to the Pecan Grove I think he's making up a lot of crap. So I don't think he would be above chasing down some dreams elsewhere. Priscilla, I think she's sincere in the sense that she isn't intentionally dishonest, but ever since she compared getting married to being crucified I have to wonder if she's not into the whole sex with David either - for whatever reason. David doesn't want to leave the fold even if he has to live in it dishonestly (imo) while Priscilla believes this is the right way to be happy.

Leaving the fold = 1) hell. 2) if they can get past not thinking God loves them and ATI isn't the only way of serving Christ and not going to hell, the do not have the skills - coping skills, education, employment etc to do anything else, and it's easier to stay in a cushy job and elevated position than start over.

Priscilla again - she was sold a fairytale, sit back, be good, pray, let the Lord (through your parents) find your spouse, devote your life to all these rules, and the fairytale ends perfectly.

Then when it doesn't - because life isn't a formula - break out a wisdom book to explain why. Sex isn't what you expected? You don't always want it at the same time, an inexperienced or inattentive partner can be painful, he finishes and demands a sandwich? - justify it with visions of crucifixion, self sacrifice, blaming yourself, whatever the wisdom book says.

You bend over backward to submit to your husbands desires and never do anything without asking permission - he gets smothered and actsjme he can bary tolerate you.

You fulfill your end of the bargain by not bringing in an income and being perpetually pregnant - he feels burdened physically and emotionally, but it's the wife's fault. She did exactly as directed, and her husband is annoyed. Anna - always joyfully available, yet her husband strays. So more wisdom book talks.

There is a huge disconnect between what the people sign up for vs life. God forbid something hbconteollae like illnesss or death happens. They are miserable following the formula, that when real problems - not the ones that could've been prevented or solved if they didn't have that damn rule book and actually got to know each other, accepting flaws, likes, dislikes, etc. - occur, they can't deal.

• Love 4

You'd think nocturnal emissions would be a good thing considering they are more likely if you haven't been masturbating. I don't get these people.

Seriously. Some real knowledge of science and medicine is useful, but they'd rather have control than anything else.

• Love 5

TLC tried to replace some of the Dugg gimmick when they followed that musical family. The problem, that family was too likable. I think they should follow Jill and her busload. As long as they don't show any of the performances, don't do that to us TLC, just them day to day being crazy for jebus. Why not? It would really make JB crazy also.. and what if Jill has 20 kids. No house though, if they move in a house, the show must end immediately. I just want to see them attend weddings and use a palate knife painting kit and a case of shellac on their hair to attempt to  lure a male of the species. OMG cooking tips, more hair tips, makeup tutorials, fashion advice, Marie Kondo organization tips. She is a gem, I can't look away.

• Love 2

TLC tried to replace some of the Dugg gimmick when they followed that musical family. The problem, that family was too likable. I think they should follow Jill and her busload. As long as they don't show any of the performances, don't do that to us TLC, just them day to day being crazy for jebus. Why not? It would really make JB crazy also.. and what if Jill has 20 kids. No house though, if they move in a house, the show must end immediately. I just want to see them attend weddings and use a palate knife painting kit and a case of shellac on their hair to attempt to  lure a male of the species. OMG cooking tips, more hair tips, makeup tutorials, fashion advice, Marie Kondo organization tips. She is a gem, I can't look away.

JRod would love to get a show and get out of that stink bus. She does everything she can to stay in the public eye (unsuccessfully). If they get a show and some money, they'll give up this miserable lifestyle in a flash. 

One thing about the Rodrigueses--They show what the quiverful life really looks like. I wonder if the fans truly want to see that. 

• Love 5

I'm thinking one of those wisdom books or maybe that recovering grace blog mentioned that boys are supposed to report that, and one dad was insistent to asking his son (that was in the blog) in detail about nocturnal emissions, etc.

I don't think women's needs matter as long as legs are closed pre-marriage and they are joyfully available after marriage.

Wow, that's not demented at ALL

Re: women's counterpart experience, I was wondering what to call it* while also wondering if girls are advised that it happens (and sinful, of course). I wonder if the patriarchs believe it is a real "thing," since it doesn't require sweet fellowship with another human. Er, your husband, I mean.

*Possibly known as Beelzabubbling or similar.

• Love 4

The Willises are coming back to TLC. Saw a promo where dad is expressing angst over whether he is building something the kids really want. There is defraudment in the way many of them dress and they also seem to move their limbs and torsos along with the music. SINNERS!

Re: David and Priscilla, as I recall, they both reported that they weren't ready to get married but basically both of them were forced into it by their parents. I mean, they prayed hard and then Haysoos laid it on their hearts. Disgusting.

Edited by Tabbygirl521
  • Love 7

Finally got thru that Jill Rodriguez video (skipping a lot) and she reeks fame whore. Fame whore for Jesus, of course.

Biggest impression - Michelle may be stuck in the 80s, but this Jill chick is stuck in the 90s. That choker, that outfit, those pencil thin brows, that dark lip liner, and that hair. Right after the 80s perms and right before the Gwynneth Paltrow stick straight 90s trends was this Jill hair. Not permed, but curled, tops poofed and bangs slightly curled. If you didn't want to cut your hair into the short Rachel do, this was a good choice. This was my middle school hair. Sponge rollers did the trick or a curling iron.

These fundie people are keeping Aussie alive. This almost looked like some hair fetish video - those girls really think they're very attractive and everyone is interested in their beauty - not their weirdness.

For people who live in a trailer on wheels, lots of fancy French tip manicures there, and she was dousing that one girl in Burberry Classic (hello 1995) perfume.

She's on crack of she thinks they have natural curl. She's on crack for drenching that toddler in mouse then sticking In rubber band piggies. Why the boys need all that I don't know. Crack.

The one daughter beating the life out of her hair with a straightener then teasing a half up poof - that's not how you use a straightener.

The daughter with the curled bangs and curled side tendrils - that was my little sister 1995.

Were they all trying to sound like Sarah Palin or some sexy weird baby voice? These people are nuts. Thank you all for the link to the video.

• Love 5

David doesn't want to leave the fold even if he has to live in it dishonestly (imo)

If the alternative to being dishonest about some of your real feelings was to lose absolutely everyone and everything you'd ever known, as well as your job and your place as a respected member of the community, while gaining only the strong suspicion that your real feelings were condemning you to burn in a literal lake of fire for all eternity, how easy would it be to do the honest thing and walk away, I wonder.

Because I'm pretty sure those are the stakes here.

How many of us are willing to be 100 percent honest about all our feelings and never act in a way that's contrary to our feelings when the stakes are this high.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 14

I expect the abuse and neglect are too obvious -- and too close to the edge of bringing the law down on these people -- even for TLC to be willing to risk it. They could do the Duggars because they could whitewash it -- partly by moving them into a house that was big enough for all the kids. They would have a much harder time whitewashing the Rodriguez's issues, and there's no RV that could be the equivalent of the TTH.

One thing about the Rodrigueses--They show what the quiverful life really looks like. I wonder if the fans truly want to see that. 

I'd say -- Never in a million years do the fans want to see it. .... The whole leghumper schtick with the Duggars is about a fantasy, as it is with the Bateses as well, seems to me. People are looking for the big warm happy well-fed family of their childhood dreams.

• Love 7

If the alternative to being dishonest about some of your real feelings was to lose absolutely everyone and everything you'd ever known, as well as your job and your place as a respected member of the community, while gaining only the strong suspicion that your real feelings were condemning you to burn in a literal lake of fire for all eternity, how easy would it be to do the honest thing and walk away, I wonder.

Because I'm pretty sure those are the stakes here.

How many of us are willing to be 100 percent honest about all our feelings and never act in a way that's contrary to our feelings when the stakes are this high.

I get that he's caught between a rock and a hard place but I think it's made him a complete liar.  Whether or not he feels being a liar is less of a ticket to hell than coming clean about who he is or what he wants (even if it's just pecans) he's still a liar. I don't believe his stories and if he goes around lying all of the time who knows how he really feels about DavidlovesPriscilla or what he does.  He's like another Gothard in the making ,cut from the same mold. Sure it's all he's ever known but he's choosing to lie a lot and not just about one thing.  So it's his choice and it appears he feels being a liar is OK.

• Love 1

I get that he's caught between a rock and a hard place but I think it's made him a complete liar.  Whether or not he feels being a liar is less of a ticket to hell than coming clean about who he is or what he wants (even if it's just pecans) he's still a liar. I don't believe his stories and if he goes around lying all of the time who knows how he really feels about DavidlovesPriscilla or what he does.  He's like another Gothard in the making ,cut from the same mold. Sure it's all he's ever known but he's choosing to lie a lot and not just about one thing.  So it's his choice and it appears he feels being a liar is OK.

Yeah, I'm sure you're right about his being a liar! 

I was by nature a straight, really quite average and normal person with very ordinary gender presentation etc etc etc in a highly controlling and intrusive family fairly similar to these Gothard clans. And I lied continually and about everything from the time I was a very young child. To stay on the best side of the family that I could manage to stay on, I invented a complete life and set of ideas for myselt that I told them about at length while hiding pretty literally every real thought, feeling and experience that I had. And the only need I had was to try not to rock the family boat any more than necessary. I had quickly disposed of the notion of God, so I wasn't trying to make myself into something that I wasn't -- just trying to keep out of trouble until I could go elsewhere. That probably makes me a lot more sympathetic than most people about somebody lying because they can't bear the thought of the consequences of not lying!

I expect that he himself doesn't know how he really feels about the DavidlovesPriscilla pairing because I expect he believes that to love anyone but a woman makes him unacceptable in the sight of god and humanity. So, in contrast to my lying to keep from rocking the boat, I expect he started some of his lying as an attempt to make himself something different from what he is. And when you lie in an attempt to change yourself, that's a whole extra boatload of confusion, with who knows what consequences.

I agree with you that the consequences of situations based on lies like this can and are likely to be terrible. But I also maintain that it's easy to say he should just fess up to who he is and leave the situation but that doing it would be incredibly hard and probably too much for most of us. MMV, obviously!

• Love 7

Finally got thru that Jill Rodriguez video (skipping a lot) and she reeks fame whore. Fame whore for Jesus, of course.

Biggest impression - Michelle may be stuck in the 80s, but this Jill chick is stuck in the 90s. That choker, that outfit, those pencil thin brows, that dark lip liner, and that hair. Right after the 80s perms and right before the Gwynneth Paltrow stick straight 90s trends was this Jill hair. Not permed, but curled, tops poofed and bangs slightly curled. If you didn't want to cut your hair into the short Rachel do, this was a good choice. This was my middle school hair. Sponge rollers did the trick or a curling iron.

These fundie people are keeping Aussie alive. This almost looked like some hair fetish video - those girls really think they're very attractive and everyone is interested in their beauty - not their weirdness.

For people who live in a trailer on wheels, lots of fancy French tip manicures there, and she was dousing that one girl in Burberry Classic (hello 1995) perfume.

She's on crack of she thinks they have natural curl. She's on crack for drenching that toddler in mouse then sticking In rubber band piggies. Why the boys need all that I don't know. Crack.

The one daughter beating the life out of her hair with a straightener then teasing a half up poof - that's not how you use a straightener.

The daughter with the curled bangs and curled side tendrils - that was my little sister 1995.

Were they all trying to sound like Sarah Palin or some sexy weird baby voice? These people are nuts. Thank you all for the link to the video.

aren't they awesome.. I want to catch them in a pickle jar and watch them.

• Love 2

Jill Rodrigues has a house.  They recently left it to go on the road begging again or to get out of winter weather or both.

Absolom, you're like spell-check, a gentle mom and a supreme voice all rolled into one.

• Love 1

So here's another David question - do you guys think his clenched teeth anger is due to having homosexual feelings and having to marry a female, grin and bear it - literally. Like a serious inner struggle that comes out as thickly veiled anger at Priscilla

Or

Is he just a pompous, condescending asshat who would be that way towards a male spouse as well? Like Mitch on Modern Family, except amplified 10000x. That's a bad comparison, maybe, but the best way I can describe it. Or like Jessa - just all that anger and bullying personality, he just sugar costs it better.

I've thiought about this all day. I'm thinking David and Brandon have anger issues because they are forced into the Gothard life and have no other choices. Their lives seem to be planned out. What if David wanted to be the lead in a play? Nope no way because they had homefooling.

Brandon too. His sisters pushed Michaela on him and he might have anger issues because before that he couldn't date and find his own wife. Nope gotta listen to Gothard and get married. In his defense he did seem to enjoy his honeymoon and the hey, hey, hey that came along with it--he might have been angry because he hasn't been allowed to have sex before marriage, etc. IDK but in the end what will happen to them if Gothard dies and there is no organization left? David and Brandon were sold a bill of goods for sure.

• Love 2

Honestly. I don't see Brandon as an angry person. I don't get when people say he seems mean or angry. I see him as an intensely private, serious and even shy guy. I actually think he and Michael are well suited to each other, personality wise. I do think he is a tad overwhelmed by the Bates family but I would be too.

• Love 5

A 45 minute hair tutorial from JRod. I got through about five minutes, after which I had to turn it off when she plastered a poor little boy's hair with half a can of hairspray, then topped it off with some mousse, then another coating of shellack for good measure! I think they may use more hairspray than the Duggars!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=997&v=ObRZ4uVMZlI

You don't have to watch it; I just want to prove that this craziness actually exists! LOL

I haven't seen anyone wear "bumps" or poofs whatever they call it since my high school days back in the 90s. I mean my high school self would have been envious of the bump that I sadly still sported until about 2000. But yikes, now it's just dated. I couldn't watch anymore.

• Love 3

I didn't find the Willises likeable at all. I can't stand them, and people don't tend to realize that they're the Duggars with pants and dancing. They're very much fundies, and had a bunch of creepy/bizarre things to say about courtship, home church and gender roles. The mom said that they like dancing because it models real life gender roles -- the man leads and the woman follows. Ugh. Plus, they only got to be where they are through aggressive stage parenting. There's no way all 12 of the kids feel passionate about fiddling and Irish dance. Obviously there are plenty of non fundy stage parents too, so that isn't specifically a fundy thing, but it bugs me nonetheless.

Wow, that's not demented at ALL

Re: women's counterpart experience, I was wondering what to call it* while also wondering if girls are advised that it happens (and sinful, of course). I wonder if the patriarchs believe it is a real "thing," since it doesn't require sweet fellowship with another human. Er, your husband, I mean.

*Possibly known as Beelzabubbling or similar.

You have hit on something here. In the whole "purity" Christian movement, female sexuality is ignored almost completely. The Duggars love to say "romance novels are to women what pornography is to men." Like all of their beliefs, it's all black and white. Men desire constant sex; women don't and must be joyfully available. I had no idea women could have wet/orgasm dreams until I finally had one (sorry if that's TMI). There are men even today who deny the existence of the female orgasm and are threatened by the fact that most women can reach it more easily without penetration. Okay, I'm trying to stay on topic so I'll stop here.

• Love 10

Honestly. I don't see Brandon as an angry person. I don't get when people say he seems mean or angry. I see him as an intensely private, serious and even shy guy. I actually think he and Michael are well suited to each other, personality wise. I do think he is a tad overwhelmed by the Bates family but I would be too.

My red flag went up with him, when Michael surprise visited him and he seemed really, really angry and annnoyed. He seemed to me like he did not like being out of control and caught off guard by the surprise, and that it angered him that she took some initiative to visit without his permission. He honestly acted like a guy who had been doing something he shouldn't and got caught, then tried to gaslight his wife into being the bad guy.

She looked devastated and sheepish. I don't like surprised either, but you should be happy, even if caught off guard, if your FIANCÉ comes that far for a surprise visit.

Maybe it's because he was socialized around a bunch of other Gothardites, but be comes off as effeminate the same way David does. He also has that seething anger veiled under uber politeness, and more like he tolerates Michael than anything. She gushes like a teenybopper who is terrified of displeasing him, and he is polite but cold.

Maybe I'm wrong, but that's my gut reaction.

• Love 5

I'm a gay man, three years older than David. Being gay is not easy, it's not always accommodated, even today. I may mock the Duggars, Kellers and Co on this forum, but I would never express any spite to these families or their supporters. They are flawed human beings like everyone else. We are not innately better or worse. I accept their limitations, I want win-win, or stalemate, but I don't want them to lose.

I can really agree with what you're saying there, Koka.

I don't really want them to lose either what I really want for all of them is to escape this freak show of a cult that they're in.

Though I really would like to see the Maxwells and Boob and Michelle get their just desserts for what they've done to their kids. Even if any of them finally have the humility to admit that they screwed up their kids and tried to heal their relationships with their kids and denounce this whole ATI ftype business-that would be a win for me.

• Love 5

I'm wondering if Priscilla Waller's home improvement video and the Rodrigues family getting ready for church could be used for enhanced interrogation methods. I couldn't even watch these cringeworthy yet boring as watching paint dry vids.

Here's another treat for you all to enjoy.

https://www.rawstory.com/2016/02/duggar-cult-survivor-wants-you-to-meet-the-powerful-women-who-make-other-womens-lives-a-living-hell/

• Love 5

Looks like she's had impetigo...its a common skin infection kids get from picking their scabs. I guess all that hairspray and gunk all over the house has those kids living in a Petri dish.

Pity her dim witted parents couldn't reschedule the photo..she's a pretty little thang.

And who pierced that child's ears? Center and mark first. 

I noticed in the tease-and-spray video that one of the older girls had braces. Half the Rodrigues kids have alignment issues. I wonder who ponied up for braces. 

I'm wondering if Priscilla Waller's home improvement video and the Rodrigues family getting ready for church could be used for enhanced interrogation methods. I couldn't even watch these cringeworthy yet boring as watching paint dry vids.

Here's another treat for you all to enjoy.

https://www.rawstory.com/2016/02/duggar-cult-survivor-wants-you-to-meet-the-powerful-women-who-make-other-womens-lives-a-living-hell/

Gee NO  thanks to being Quiverfull for me. I'd rather stay a Catholic!

OK that was all kinds of funked up all in one blog explanation!! Debi Pearl sure is NUTS! So  all these poor women that think that having your own life will get you into hell? The lives they are living is a living hell. IDK makes no sense and I fear for all the girls that are forced to believe this bs.

Edited by Fuzzysox
  • Love 1

Rod kids' jaw issues are probably even worse than Derick Dullard's. 

Jill probably took the money earmarked for her paralyzed sister to defray some of her expenses being a martyr. Because she deserves it, y'all! 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 5

I'm creeped out by naming a fetus that young. But that's just me.

Me too.

I don't know if it's a Southern thing or a Bates thing or what, but they seem to do a lot of what would normally be nicknames as formal first names. I'm from New England and if you're a Kaci, Katie, Ellie or Allie you're real first name is likely Kathleen, Katherine, Eleanor or Allison. There's nothing wrong with the shortened versions, but IMO, I'd want my daughter to have the option of having a more grown-up name as an adult. Just my two cents.

• Love 11

Me too.

I don't know if it's a Southern thing or a Bates thing or what, but they seem to do a lot of what would normally be nicknames as formal first names. I'm from New England and if you're a Kaci, Katie, Ellie or Allie you're real first name is likely Kathleen, Katherine, Eleanor or Allison. There's nothing wrong with the shortened versions, but IMO, I'd want my daughter to have the option of having a more grown-up name as an adult. Just my two cents.

Kaci to me just seemed like another spelling of Casey to me.

I'm creeped out by naming a fetus that young. But that's just me.

A lot of my friends who have had children had them named pretty much when they found out what they were having. They had a name for either gender picked out.

• Love 1

My experience with pregnant women and naming their children is that the language about the baby's name changes as the pregnancy progresses. In the beginning it is usually something like, "we've picked out a few names", then, "we are going to name her Kaci", then in the last couple of months, "her name is Kaci". I never really thought about it until now though. I wonder if it's a combo of not jinxing the pregnancy and kind of guarding one's self in case of miscarriage, finding out the sex of the child, and 'big pregnant' reality.

My own personal experience was we would agree on a few names and by the ninth month we'd be almost sure. However we opted not to have ultra sounds, and never knew if we were having a boy or a girl.

• Love 1