Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

41 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

No trained electricians or plumbers for the Rodrigues sons. 

Or auto mechanics.   But Jill would never pay for the apprentice program or the tools they would need to get started.    Of course she is also missing out on all the things they could afford to buy her if they did have good jobs.   Pennywise, pound foolish.   

41 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

No trained electricians or plumbers for the Rodrigues sons. 

Or auto mechanics.   But Jill would never pay for the apprentice program or the tools they would need to get started.    Of course she is also missing out on all the things they could afford to buy her if they did have good jobs.   Pennywise, pound foolish.   

• Like 14
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, all fall down said:

That sign was on the door when they bought the house. The house used the be a auto repair shop/showroom. 

Thanks for pointing that out. I thought it was new from their recent DIY print shop reno work.

• Like 4

One of the Duggar boys, Jackson maybe, wanted to be a "preaching mechanic". Say what you will about the Duggar brothers' half-assed skills, but they're leaps above the Rods when it comes to fixing/building things. Even Jana would likely do better.

I'm gonna guess JillR is pre-grifting for a new RV and this RV will continue to "break down". The problem is, is she can't keep herself and her "sightseeing" off FB. More and more folks are onto them. Its not like back in the day when she only had a blog.

• Like 14
15 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

One of the Duggar boys, Jackson maybe, wanted to be a "preaching mechanic". Say what you will about the Duggar brothers' half-assed skills, but they're leaps above the Rods when it comes to fixing/building things. Even Jana would likely do better.

Justin was the Duggar - Pa Caldwell was shown on the show being his mentor.

Jill seems to have decided what the boys were going to be when they were 5 yrs old. Tim - Missionary pilot, currently running a gutter cleaning business. Phillip, the "scholar", missionary to Hungary", Samuel - Dave's "right hand man that can fix and build anything". 19yrs old and no gushing graduation pics or posts about Samuel's future plans. Gabriel is to be a preacher. Jill has often commented on this and shown him giving a sermon during practice preaching at the sunday evening service at church. So none are prepared to provide for the "burden" of a wife and a bunch of children

• Like 10
  • Sad 5
54 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I'm gonna guess JillR is pre-grifting for a new RV and this RV will continue to "break down". The problem is, is she can't keep herself and her "sightseeing" off FB. More and more folks are onto them. Its not like back in the day when she only had a blog.

She's gone to the well too many times.   It started last year with Ma Noyes' stroke.  Not one grift from then on has been productive.   Folks are tapped out and sick of supporting these folks.   People will help out a family that has truly fallen on hard times.   But if you ALWAYS are asking for money, people stop giving.

40 minutes ago, satrunrose said:

I mean, this is the big puzzle of Fundydom (or the Quiverfull-esque version anyway).

The big issue is they expect to take over by simply having a lot of kids.   But then they also believe that everything anyone needs to know can be taught at the dining room table using the stupid wisdom booklets.   So not one of them has the basic education necessary to actual DO anything.   Learning plumbing involves more knowledge than just knowing the right way to turn a wrench.  You can't run the world if you can get the potholes fixed because you have no concept of problem solving.   Even JB was like "can my kids watch and then take over?"   Like it was just nothing to become skilled.   Because none of them have the basic education to know it takes effort and time to become skilled.  

• Like 18
  • Applause 3
1 minute ago, oliviabenson said:

And all the kids better give $ to Jill and Dave on weekly basis! From minimum wage jobs…

I think Timbits may be exempt since he moved away. He may only have to pony up for dinners at the NICE Olive Garden. 

2 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

She's gone to the well too many times.   It started last year with Ma Noyes' stroke.  Not one grift from then on has been productive.   Folks are tapped out and sick of supporting these folks.   People will help out a family that has truly fallen on hard times.   But if you ALWAYS are asking for money, people stop giving.

The big issue is they expect to take over by simply having a lot of kids.   But then they also believe that everything anyone needs to know can be taught at the dining room table using the stupid wisdom booklets.   So not one of them has the basic education necessary to actual DO anything.   Learning plumbing involves more knowledge than just knowing the right way to turn a wrench.  You can't run the world if you can get the potholes fixed because you have no concept of problem solving.   Even JB was like "can my kids watch and then take over?"   Like it was just nothing to become skilled.   Because none of them have the basic education to know it takes effort and time to become skilled.  

Jason somehow learned enough about construction to get a contractor's license. And a couple boys are commercial pilots. So, they actually studied at some point. Not the same with the Rod boys. 

• Like 10
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, beckie said:

Actually having one of her sons train to become an auto mechanic would be beneficial,  even if only to their family. 

Gabe or even Sam could get training cheaply at a vocational high school program, but then he would be around people who go to parties and maybe smoke. There might even be females in pants working on cars! Can the Rodlet read manuals and pass tests? Is he up-to-date on his shots? Schools have rules and records, after all. Would the Rodlet find out that not everyone has a batshit crazy mother? 

Jill worries and decides to keep grifting. 

• Like 10
(edited)
14 hours ago, BradandJanet said:

Jill worries and decides to keep grifting.

I think even Jill probably realizes the negative effect on the grift when she shows up with adult children, who even in fundie land, should be working, attending bible college, Liberty or Crown college or married. 17yr old Gabe probably has this year and next in the rod family academy. But then what? With manly men sons needing to marry, who will carry the instruments, do the stage set up etc. The 6 girls can't do work that is mens and David certainly isn't doing all that work. The 6 younger girls also lack any real music training. So the music grift is not sustainable for much longer.

Edited by crazy8s
  • Like 18
On 7/28/2023 at 8:16 AM, ginger90 said:

Jill’s shilling her “daily skin care”, using a filter, of course.

444E51E8-792A-43B2-82E0-7525F6DB1C1A.jpeg

FFS, she filtered off her nose, her teeth appear to be false (as in one solid unit), and her eyes look like she needs cataract surgery. What a damn phony. 

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 16

There was one time she very reluctantly helped someone who wasn't high up in the church. And Jill made it known how much effort and SACRIFICE she made to do it.

• Like 19
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Applause 3
(edited)
6 hours ago, BradandJanet said:

I seriously believe Jill and David, consciously or not, don't want their kids to have a better life than they do. They've deluded themselves into thinking going to work and earning a living is somehow beneath such godly people as themselves. The truth is they're just lazy and full of their own importance. 

I read an explanation about why the Amish don’t own cars. One reason is because they are modern inventions. Another is because they go so fast that it makes it easy for  people to move away from their society. Same with education. 

I think that explanation  can be applied to people like Jill, the Duggars, and others. Too much education or training would let the offspring live lifestyles of their own choosing rather than their parents.  Jeremy’s and Derick’s educations have allowed them to do exactly that. Their accountability requirements are there for the same reason. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Like 9
  • Useful 2

Any of these folks who went into a trade and wanted to help more than their own kind would need to be licensed with the awful government.  And probably bonded and insured. And we know that's not happening.  If they each learned a different trade and kept it all within their ranks it could Be useful. And maybe dangerous. But then Jesus. 

• Like 12
15 hours ago, merylinkid said:

BTW Jill, sometimes God says no.   Your broken RV is God's way of telling you to knock off the grifting and get jobs.

But so many churches would be *devastated* if they did that!

• Like 1
  • LOL 18
(edited)
10 hours ago, mythoughtis said:

I read an explanation about why the Amish don’t own cars. One reason is because they are modern inventions. Another is because they go so fast that it makes it easy for  people to move away from their society. Same with education. 

I think that explanation  can be applied to people like Jill, the Duggars, and others. Too much education or training would let the offspring live lifestyles of their own choosing rather than their parents.  Jeremy’s and Derick’s educations have allowed them to do exactly that. Their accountability requirements are there for the same reason. 

The difference is the Amish work for a living and don't take charity. They are up before dawn to take care of the animals or prepare for the day. What time are the Rods up? They also have trades such as cabinet or buggy making, raising animals including horses for those buggies or working in a bakery or restaurant. Trades which they do have to study up on when they need to learn new things. The Rods do none of that. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Like 17
  • Applause 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, libgirl2 said:

The difference is the Amish work for a living and don't take charity. They are up before dawn to take care of the animals or prepare for the day. What time are the Rods up? They also have trades such as cabinet or buggy making, raising animals including horses for those buggies or working in a bakery or restaurant. Trades which they do have to study up on when they need to learn new things. The Rods do none of that. 

There’s lots of differences between Jill and the Amish.  I didn’t mean to imply they were similar in most ways. I was just pointing out the affect limiting their exposure to certain things has as a means of keeping people in the circle. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Like 10
7 hours ago, awaken said:

But so many churches would be *devastated* if they did that!

They'd get over it.   Given how their religion works, there's another grifting family out there who would be willing to add any another church to their itinerary.

• Like 18
52 minutes ago, mythoughtis said:

There’s lots of differences between Jill and the Amish.  I didn’t mean to imply they were similar in most ways. I was just pointing out the affect limiting their exposure to certain things has as a means of keeping people in the circle. 

You are right. 

• Like 3

Amish puppy mill owners are also notorious for abusing animals. 

As for Jill, I doubt she cares if anyone counsels SA victims since in her mind, it didn't happen OR they deserved it. Whoremongers who show their calves, ya know. What's that you say -- JILL shows her calves? Well, that's totally different. 

• Like 16
  • Sad 2

Jill shows off her legs up to her knees a lot and the toe ring and the anklet. Oh my. But we can’t judge her on being immodest lol. It’s okay showing all that off because Jill thinks she is modest and gahdly and hunky loves her. We all have hunk envy and long for her wonderful gahdly life . 🤪😬🙄🙄🙄🙄💦💦💦

Jill is a vile human who is very lucky to be born and live in USA. 

Oh and her SEVERELY tight clothes are a okay too. 

• Like 8
  • Applause 3
30 minutes ago, crazy8s said:

Last summer at one of the grift stops, while the rods were on stage ready to sing, the pastor introducing them said something like some people in the congregation asked if we could have a different group this year. They didn't like the music or something. But I said "as long as I have anything to do with it, we will always have the rodrigues family"

I don't think there would be much devastation if the rods quit showing up at most places.

But it was astounding he tells that story while the rod kids are all lined up behind him waiting to perform. I felt bad for them. You just know mama claimed jealousy, persecution or something the minute they got done eating at the free meal, emptying the donation box and selling their merch.

People are probably tired of having to support this family and their grifts. Plus, they aren't very good. 

• Like 20
  • Applause 1
5 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

People are probably tired of having to support this family and their grifts. Plus, they aren't very good. 

Especially Jill’s cowbells murdering music on the ironing board ! 

bwahhha 

• Like 6
  • LOL 4
Just now, oliviabenson said:

Especially Jill’s cowbells murdering music on the ironing board ! 

bwahhha 

Especially that. There are some great Christian musicians out there, the Rods are not one of them. 

• Like 14
  • Applause 3
45 minutes ago, crazy8s said:

They didn't like the music or something.

Can you blame them?   The congregation probably wanted actual music, not screeching.  

Geez.   What does Jill have on this pastor that he would say that?   Or what is the pastor getting out of this?   Ewwww.   It can't be that the Rodrigues are such a happy, lovely family to be around.  

• Like 11
  • LOL 4

The pastor is tired of feeding/providing free meals and somewhere to park the rv for free. Maybe the congregation also was taking them in for the night. Rods are moochers so pastor is tired of them. 

And I bet Jill does not clean up after her family or offers to cook or anything really.

• Like 9

What, exactly, does Jill think is going to happen when one day in the future, Big Dave is no longer able to operate the Tract Machines?  At that point, wouldn't it have been smart to have at least one or two kids that know a trade to support Jill?  Or is she depending on the kindness of random churches to keep her in hair extensions and Dollar Tree eyeliner?

Also, the Rods all play musical instruments and can sing - for better or worse - in harmony.  So there is definitely intellect there in all of them.  Not everyone can play an instrument, especially if they are mainly self-taught.  It's super sad that none of them will ever be able to use their brains for anything except what Mahmo demands of them.  It's a lot of potential talent, completely wasted.  

• Like 14
(edited)
3 hours ago, laurakaye said:

Also, the Rods all play musical instruments and can sing - for better or worse - in harmony.  So there is definitely intellect there in all of them.  Not everyone can play an instrument, especially if they are mainly self-taught.  It's super sad that none of them will ever be able to use their brains for anything except what Mahmo demands of them.  It's a lot of potential talent, completely wasted.  

It is sad not one Rod kid shows any enthusiasm about playing an instrument or singing. I think they have learned the lesson well Mama is the star.

One thing that makes me so sad about fundie children is they never get to have a passion for anything that might individually interest them. Even the most harmless things. Seems Jill would have at least one kid who might loving baking and have a blast creating cakes for the family birthdays. One interested in geography, running, painting, cooking or whatever. But nope.

I think Samuel actually likes carpentry, but in the videos Jill shows of him working, he has no enthusiasm. Most likely because it is just another content creating performance for mama. Same with Kaylee and Renee and the earring business.

Edited by crazy8s
  • Sad 18
40 minutes ago, crazy8s said:

I think Samuel actually likes carpentry, but in the videos Jill shows of him working he has no enthusiasm. Most likely because it is just another content creating performance for mama. Same with Kaylee and Renee and the earring business.

Good point, I didn't think about that.  Many kids lose interest in their passions when their parents become too invested (thinking of student athletes that burn out early).  The Rod kids may live a different life, but at heart they are still kids.  For example, Renee might really enjoy the process of creating earrings but if Jill is always screeching around and making Renee perform for the camera, it steals the 2% of individuality that Renee actually owns and credits it to Mahmo.  I can't imagine how smothering that must be, even if the kids know no other way.

• Like 11

Going back to Jill's admiration of the Amish - she is addicted to social media and could never survive an Amish lifestyle! She probably mostly admires their dress, because she's shallow like that. Of course she could never truly dress modestly as they do and she'd never wash off all of her make-up or remove her many layers of nail polish. "Modesty for thee, but not for me!" 

• Like 13
  • Applause 4
  • Love 1
(edited)

But we need her fingernail polish to date her wonky timeline! How else would we know that her dishwasher broke down in June, despite her posting about it a month later? 🙄

Edited by Salacious Kitty
Typo central
  • Like 3
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 12

I watched the video.  There are two ‘cakes?’.  David went and got the van immediately upon Jonathon  blowing out the candies as they wanted to go to Sunday night church.   
So did Johnathan and Kaylee get one entire cake - or did both cakes go home with the van? It would take both cakes for the family to each get a slice. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Like 9

Hey, Jill - maybe remove the cakes from their plastic containers and display them on a plate next time? 

But in the screenshot from the video, Jonathan looks pretty happy.  Either he's mastered the art of faking it for his MIL's ever-present camera, or he's actually thrilled with this sad display.  Not sure which is worse.

• Like 16

I think Johnathan is the fundy partner I most want to know more about (possible exception of Jed!'s wife Katey). I mean, Derrek was looking for a father figure, Austin had been around forever, JereMe wanted a famous, meek and photogenic wife and Ben wanted someone "hot" and famous and his Dad was right there pushing early marriage. Anna wanted fame and I suspect had critical thinking skills blanket trained right out of her. But what's up with Johnathan? He wasn't local to the Rods and his family wasn't one of the Rods' higher profile sweet friends (aka grifting marks). He's a male, so by cult standards he has the authority to tell Jill to shove it, but every picture he seems delighted to be part of (and a funder for) the Rod family circus. At first I hoped maybe he was trying to protect Kaylee and the littles from the insanity, but if he is then he is playing the looooong game. What the heck was he running from that made Mahmo and DBD seem like a good alternative?

• Like 19
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1
54 minutes ago, satrunrose said:

I think Johnathan is the fundy partner I most want to know more about (possible exception of Jed!'s wife Katey). I mean, Derrek was looking for a father figure, Austin had been around forever, JereMe wanted a famous, meek and photogenic wife and Ben wanted someone "hot" and famous and his Dad was right there pushing early marriage. Anna wanted fame and I suspect had critical thinking skills blanket trained right out of her. But what's up with Johnathan? He wasn't local to the Rods and his family wasn't one of the Rods' higher profile sweet friends (aka grifting marks). He's a male, so by cult standards he has the authority to tell Jill to shove it, but every picture he seems delighted to be part of (and a funder for) the Rod family circus. At first I hoped maybe he was trying to protect Kaylee and the littles from the insanity, but if he is then he is playing the looooong game. What the heck was he running from that made Mahmo and DBD seem like a good alternative?

It's an interesting question since we never hear anything from him, even secondhand. Have he and Kaylee gone to visit his family in Mississippi, or have  the family come to see the baby? Maybe Jill is forbidden to report on these things.

Two small items stand out. One is that that he and Kaylee don't attend Joy Baptist church anymore. The second is he has a full-time job that he has kept since arriving, a feat that his in-laws don't seem able to achieve, other than maybe Phillip at Bible College. 

If Jon quits his job and decides to go into the ministry, "trained" by sermon-recycler David, we'll know that the Rods have assimilated him, just like the Borg. 

Honestly, Jonathan doesn't strike me as anyone with a long game, or even a short one. 

• Like 15