Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

Even the Duggars started out with the typical Fundy wedding receptions. Didn't JillD offer something like rootbeer floats, pickles and mints? And Jessa had the 40 degree parking lot ice cream reception.

JillR isn't too far off on this one, although she likely calls it a party reception.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3

It has begun…..

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, to the VERY best Mama a daughter could wish for. ❤❤ 
        I am soo thankful to you, for all you do for me. You are the most thoughtful, unselfish, kind, hard working, sweet, beautiful Woman that I know. 🥰 
   You give of yourself, more then I have seen anyone ever give. You are ALWAYS there for me , when I need a shoulder to cry on, someone to laugh with, someone to hug me. 
    You never give up on me, even when I make mistakes.  You are faithful to the Lord in prayer time and Bible reading. 
      The list could go on and on for hours. 😁
  I will FOREVER need you in my life, no matter where life takes me. 
       I LOVE YOU with allllll my heart and you will ALWAYS be my SUNSHINE!!!! 🌞🌞
                                Love, your Kaylee girl. ❤

01A0443B-756B-46E7-95E2-D9F8C8A7A965.jpeg

• LOL 17
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, ginger90 said:

It has begun…..

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, to the VERY best Mama a daughter could wish for. ❤❤ 
        I am soo thankful to you, for all you do for me. You are the most thoughtful, unselfish, kind, hard working, sweet, beautiful Woman that I know. 🥰 
   You give of yourself, more then I have seen anyone ever give. You are ALWAYS there for me , when I need a shoulder to cry on, someone to laugh with, someone to hug me. 
    You never give up on me, even when I make mistakes.  You are faithful to the Lord in prayer time and Bible reading. 
      The list could go on and on for hours. 😁
  I will FOREVER need you in my life, no matter where life takes me. 
       I LOVE YOU with allllll my heart and you will ALWAYS be my SUNSHINE!!!! 🌞🌞
                                Love, your Kaylee girl. ❤

01A0443B-756B-46E7-95E2-D9F8C8A7A965.jpeg

Jill's self-tributes become more fulsome with each successive one.

• Wink 1
  • LOL 7
  • Love 6
12 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

If it is for food, I'm fine with that.

Same. I'm in favor of the Rod kids getting a decent meal for once.

4 hours ago, ginger90 said:

You give of yourself, more then I have seen anyone ever give.

More like people give to Jill.

• Love 7

What gives away that Jill wrote "Kaylee's" tribute was the acknowledgment that Jill was beautiful. How many grown daughters refer to their mother like that (unless ma is dead)? And yes, I know, she's mentally about 10. 

Edited by Salacious Kitty
  • Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6
8 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

No one.  Wedding receptions in fundyland do not normally include a sit-down dinner in any capacity.  These receptions rarely last more than an hour.  It's punch, various snacks and then cake.  The bride and groom greet guests, speeches are given, the cake is cut, and everyone leaves.  Guests are one their own for lunch before and dinner after.  

Thanks for posting this. In that regard, fundyland weddings are a lot like your basic mainstream rural/small-town Southern Baptist weddings 50 or 60 years ago. Nobody served, or expected, a full meal at the reception. It was punch, snacks, some coffee, and wedding cake. A couple of weekends ago I was visiting my cousins in Oklahoma. We're of an age to know that stuff, and that came up in a conversation. One of my cousins mentioned that from about the 1980's on, at least in my extended family, the receptions got fancier, and now they are generally full-blown, full-meal, sit-down events (though typically served buffet style). ETA: I've also attended some fairly recent wedding receptions of the more modest punch, snacks, and wedding cake variety. I recall them with happiness and no concern about the refreshments. After all, it was about celebrating the couple's marriage.

I remember when the Duggar daughters started getting married, some of the discussions over at TWoP brought out the interesting cultural/regional differences in what's typically served (and expected) at a wedding reception. 

And of course we have JillR who will manage to take whatever wedding reception tradition she's following into Tacky-land. She really is the snark gift that keeps on giving. (Except for those skinny and unhealthy looking little children. That is just horrible and I hope she burns in the hell she believes in on account of that.)

Edited by Jeeves
  • Like 3
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, Salacious Kitty said:

What gives away that Jill wrote "Kaylee's" tribute was the acknowledgment that Jill was beautiful. How many grown daughters refer to their mother like that (unless ma is dead)? And yes, I know, she's mentally about 10. 

For me, it’s THE random all-caps WORDS.  

• Like 3
  • LOL 4
  • Love 13

Well, I called it, although I don't feel that it was too difficult...

Nice of Jill to write a tribute to herself and take a dig at Not Nurie #1: "You never give up on me, even when I make mistakes". What horrible mistake could the poor girl have made that it needed to be highlighted in Ode to Jillybean?

• Sad 18
  • Love 2

Jill’s reply to Not Nurie’s birthday post:

Dearest Kaylee Girl,   Thank you!  It was SO special spending my day with you and your siblings.......getting ready for your wedding! <3  This post meant SO much to me!  I sure am going to miss you!  :(  You are also MY sunshine!  Hugs, Mama xoxoxox

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 6
  • LOL 4
  • Love 2
15 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Even the Duggars started out with the typical Fundy wedding receptions. Didn't JillD offer something like rootbeer floats, pickles and mints? And Jessa had the 40 degree parking lot ice cream reception.

JillR isn't too far off on this one, although she likely calls it a party reception.

JB and Michelle threw a private party after one of the J weddings, so some guests got a meal of sorts. The Rods scored an invitation and parked their van in the Duggar driveway. Jill was in Fundie heaven to be in the Duggar home, but it was not to happen again. 

Rather than hosting a meal, Jill is looking for one she and Chunk can join. Maybe the Hills will be hungry enough to take everyone out to dinner. Jill can recommend some very nice restaurants. 

• Like 5
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, merylinkid said:

Of course Jill has to take something from the secular world and make it all holier than thou with Kaylee's "clean" bachelorette party.   Of course, by putting it clean in quotes she is kinda implying it will be the opposite.  

BTW, the Bible features an absolute rager of a wedding reception.   Just so ya know.

IT WAS GRAPE JUICE! 

I wonder if the girls will have sparkling juice (not knock it, my 8 year old loves it so we always have some for breakfast on holidays) or is that only for Jillpm? 

• Like 1
  • LOL 12
9 minutes ago, Trillium said:

IT WAS GRAPE JUICE! 

That one always cracks me up because the text of that part of the Gospel clearly states it has to be wine, and a lot of wine at that.  If it was just grape juice, there would be no need to comment on it being a better vintage than what had previously been served.  

• Like 4
  • Applause 12
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, Turquoise said:

Well, I called it, although I don't feel that it was too difficult...

Nice of Jill to write a tribute to herself and take a dig at Not Nurie #1: "You never give up on me, even when I make mistakes". What horrible mistake could the poor girl have made that it needed to be highlighted in Ode to Jillybean?

Maybe it’s a reference to Nurie having a broken courtship or she ate a chicken wing that was meant for daddy 

Edited by oliviabenson
  • Love 1
14 minutes ago, Trillium said:

IT WAS GRAPE JUICE! 

I wonder if the girls will have sparkling juice (not knock it, my 8 year old loves it so we always have some for breakfast on holidays) or is that only for Jillpm? 

Not for long it wasn't.  

• LOL 5

Also if it was grape juice it wasn't really a miracle now is it.   Oh look, Jesus made grape juice.   No it was a miracle because he turned water into WINE.   he didn't want to becuase he was still Clark Kenting it and didn't want to reveal his superpowers to the masses.   But his mother was all "Do NOT embarass me this way.   You change that water into wine RIGHT NOW BUSTER."   So he did.   It's pretty clear.   Not sure of the KJV version of it but I highly doubt 17th century writers were putting in GRAPE JUICE when wine was an acceptable thing at the time.

@merylinkid I love your retelling of this Bible story! Was it Pa Keller who was so insistent that it was Grape Juice? It was ridiculous then and is still ridiculous.

• Like 4
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

That one always cracks me up because the text of that part of the Gospel clearly states it has to be wine, and a lot of wine at that.  If it was just grape juice, there would be no need to comment on it being a better vintage than what had previously been served.  

There's a Jesus miniseries that came out in 2000, with Jeremy Sisto in the title role, that shows Jesus laughing, dancing, and of course turning water into wine.  The IMDB comments from fundies cry sacrilege and blasphemy while at least one pastor stated it fits what he believes a fully human Jesus to be.

• Like 5
  • Love 9

Not sure of the KJV version of it but I highly doubt 17th century writers were putting in GRAPE JUICE when wine was an acceptable thing at the time.

It was acceptable even to the Puritans, as long as it was n moderation.  Archeological digs have revealed numerous wine bottles at old Puritan homes.

• Useful 2
  • Love 8
23 minutes ago, sagittarius sue said:

There's a Jesus miniseries that came out in 2000, with Jeremy Sisto in the title role, that shows Jesus laughing, dancing, and of course turning water into wine.  The IMDB comments from fundies cry sacrilege and blasphemy while at least one pastor stated it fits what he believes a fully human Jesus to be.

I loved that mini-series and own it on DVD. When I saw it, I thought "This is Jesus". Not some dour, long faced guy but someone who loved and laughed. I remember reading a review, I believe, that said, if Jesus was able to convince people to lay down their possessions and follow him, he had to be charismatic and full of life. 

I also find Jeremy Sisto delicious. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 12
50 minutes ago, ozziemom said:

@merylinkid I love your retelling of this Bible story! Was it Pa Keller who was so insistent that it was Grape Juice? It was ridiculous then and is still ridiculous.

He did at Anna’s wedding, but it’s not a unique POV in more conservative Protestant denominations. 

I mean these are people who think the earth was created in a literal 6 days, and is only 4,000 years old, and dinosaurs aren’t real or they existed with humans (that fluctuates) so not understanding that it was absolutely wine because of Science! is on brand. 

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 2
On 11/3/2022 at 11:16 AM, GeeGolly said:

I know next to nothing about hunting, but bow hunting seems exceptionally cruel. Even if for food.

It is exceptionally cruel.  It can take hours for the deer to die.  I don’t allow bow-hunting on my farm.

• Like 1
  • Applause 9
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
19 hours ago, merylinkid said:

I really wish someone would look Jill straight in the eye and say "Shut up, sit down, let someone else get the attention.  Oh and put your damn phone away."   I can just imagine the shock if she were bluntly told that.   

Also if someone looked at Dave and said "kids eat first, you  look like you are the one who should be fasting."

If I had the opportunity, I would do it in a heartbeat.

• Like 1
  • Love 10
6 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Of course Jill has to take something from the secular world and make it all holier than thou with Kaylee's "clean" bachelorette party.   Of course, by putting it clean in quotes she is kinda implying it will be the opposite.  

BTW, the Bible features an absolute rager of a wedding reception.   Just so ya know.

Speaking of that wedding reception, wasn’t that when Jesus turned water into wine so they could keep on partying?

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, ginger90 said:

DCFB311A-B34D-4AE4-B465-78883D29878A.jpeg

B20965B8-B6C1-4953-9D06-D2A6B196EBDE.jpeg

This was probably the entire party. I've never seen Kaylee with a real friend. Even Hosanna Plath was Nurie's friend. And if Lydia Plath was a family friend, she certainly isn't anymore. She wears tight jeans, and her mother had the DUI. 

• Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 6

She's (and Kaylee) for a reason. I don't believe for two seconds that Kaylee wrote that birthday greeting to BME and that the only reason Jill will miss her is that she won't be able to have her there to make her run the household.

(And Kaylee) I hope you have the wedding you want and not the one BME tries to push on you, saying it was your request.

• Like 7
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, farmgal4 said:

Speaking of that wedding reception, wasn’t that when Jesus turned water into wine so they could keep on partying?

Where's the fainting couch when I need it. You're telling me that Jesus partied and I will never believe it.

• LOL 14
11 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Of course Jill has to take something from the secular world and make it all holier than thou with Kaylee's "clean" bachelorette party

Do you know why she called it a clean bachelorette party because they had to clean up the barnado for the wedding.

• Like 3
  • LOL 5
  • Love 2

Someone posted this as a comment on the “clean” Bachelorette party post: 

I would love to know their plans. As a pastor's wife I know most of our engaged couples omit a "bachelorette/ bachelor party" because of all the worldly pleasures most often associated with such activities. My son was best man at a wedding this spring. In place of the bachelor party, they went to a local indoor shooting range where you can try a lot of different guns. Afterwards, they went to "Five Guys" and ate. He said it was great. This summer a couple we know took their entire wedding party to a local amusement park instead of the usual parties.

.Jill’s response:

08D8CBDB-DAED-4FFE-BB3A-F2E764B54A57.jpeg

Edited by ginger90
  • Sad 7
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 1
4 hours ago, beckie said:

She's (and Kaylee) for a reason. I don't believe for two seconds that Kaylee wrote that birthday greeting to BME and that the only reason Jill will miss her is that she won't be able to have her there to make her run the household.

(And Kaylee) I hope you have the wedding you want and not the one BME tries to push on you, saying it was your request.

While I do think and Kaylee should get the wedding she wants (& deserves mainly for putting up w/JRod), there’s a part of me  that wants it to be a JRod-style train wreck. Selfish of me, I know. 🤷🏻‍♀️But the snark-atunities will make me happy. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 6
  • Love 5
14 hours ago, ginger90 said:

My son was best man at a wedding this spring. In place of the bachelor party, they went to a local indoor shooting range where you can try a lot of different guns.

Yeah, there’s nothing more Godly and less worldly than guns. 🤨 These people absolutely baffle me.

• Applause 12
  • Love 11
On 11/4/2022 at 9:40 AM, Scarlett45 said:

Jill is so self righteous. I have been to a variety of weddings/bachelorette parties, and some have been for religious individuals who wanted a get together without alcohol or any sexual innuendo- I was a bridesmaid for one where we had a mani/pedi party a few days before the wedding with sparkling water/finger foods and the bride was IN HEAVEN. (it was also very economical, my Mom paid for the refreshment and because we were regulars there, the shop did the bride's mani/pedi for free because of the business the party brought). No one felt the need to label it "clean" or "dry". It was just a bachelorette party. Everyone had a great time. 

You arent special Jill.

I've been to several bachelorette events that did not include drinking or bawdy activities; because that's what the bride wanted.  It wasn't that they were particularly religious; they just didn't want a lot of drinking and behaving badly as part of the festivities.  One involved going out for a great dinner (she was a foodie) and then going to a local comedy club to catch a comedian she liked.  The other, my sister's, involved takeout Chinese food and a movie marathon.  Most people didn't drink anything.  Those that did had maybe some beer or wine, nobody had more than 2 drinks.

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
  • Love 6
26 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

She’s not known for “real time” posts.

I was thinking she would write something like 

My PRECIOUS Kaylee girl is getting married today to  godly Jonathan. Donate to go fund me. They need stuff to decorate their new home.

• LOL 10