Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: Five-O

• Start Topic

http://youtu.be/ZouTfOgvSrI

Last month, Vince Gilligan told E!:

Where on the Venn diagram does lawful and good overlap? Can you be law-abiding and be bad? Can you be a criminal and be good? There will be a philosophical discussion centered around Mike [Jonathan Banks] later on this season that talks about just that.

http://eonline.com/news/622440/why-you-ll-totally-love-better-call-saul-even-if-you-never-watched-breaking-bad

• Love 1

One of the dirty cops (the younger one) looked like the kid from Prison Break that went to jail.

That was him. I thought the same thing and how it was odd that he was playing a cop after playing a prisoner who then went to prison in real life.

• Love 1

And the Emmy for Best Supporting Actor in a Television Series goes to Jonathan Banks!  Or, rather, it had better go to Jonathan Banks.

Had it been any other actor, I would have had no sympathy for Mike.

• Love 19

I'm seriously torn here. On the one hand, this was an amazingly done episode, adding a ton to our understanding of an already outstanding character. On the other...

If anyone here isn't aware, Lane Garrison, who played the younger bad cop, went to jail in 2007 for drunk driving that killed his teenage passenger. So seeing him playing a guy driving a car right after leaving a bar, I was horrifically distracted for the entire scene, able to think about nothing else. I have no idea what the hell they were thinking with that piece of casting.

• Love 3

I'm seriously torn here. On the one hand, this was an amazingly done episode, adding a ton to our understanding of an already outstanding character. On the other...

If anyone here isn't aware, Lane Garrison, who played the younger bad cop, went to jail in 2007 for drunk driving that killed his teenage passenger. So seeing him playing a guy driving a car right after leaving a bar, I was horrifically distracted for the entire scene, able to think about nothing else. I have no idea what the hell they were thinking with that piece of casting.

Well, those 2 cops weren't falling down drunk, maybe they were portraying one drink after their shift. I did recognize the younger cop, I don't think the casting hinged on his history.

• Love 1

GREAT episode.  Mike takes center stage and this episode delivered big-time.  Great performance by Jonathan Banks.  Loved his interaction with Saul, aka Barney Fife. 

If I had been those cops and Mike told me he knew it was him, I would have left and never come back.

• Love 4

Do we know who Mike's Breaking Bad granddaughter was in relation to Matty's wife and BCS Granddaughter?

Kaylee Ehrmantraut, Mike's granddaughter, appeared in both shows. Her mother, Stacey (Matt's widow), was seen briefly in Breaking Bad.

Edited by editorgrrl

So, was Mike pretending to drink and grieve for those few months to formulate a plan and gather proof that Matty's partner and sergeant were the ones who killed him? As a way to give him a decent cover, to make him look even more like the grieving father, and help explain his abrupt departure to New Mexico to be near his daughter-in-law and granddaughter?

• Love 3

The breaking bad fly was back!!!!!!! On the hand of the African American detective during the interrogation.......so awesome.

I loved this episode. I loved the scene cuts too....the good wife did a more frenetic version of this on Sunday and it was contrived. Vince is a storytelling genius.

• Love 3

Shouldn't Kaylee have been five years younger than Breaking? Was that comedian Joe DeRosa playing veterinarian/pill mill proprietor?

A good episode, but I'm concerned that the show's viewers will depart if things don't pick up soon.

• Love 2

I am not a veteran of Breaking Bad, though of course I knew the BB fans were incredibly fond of Jonathan Banks. Til now, I thought he was really solid. But in this episode, he was .... stunning. 

I didn't think his daughter-in-law was quite up to scratch, but Banks and his wounded soul had so much moral authority and depth that it didn't even matter. The distance the character grew in less than hour ... it was like watching Oedipus Rex or something. I'm just now getting up from the floor.

• Love 9

So, was Mike pretending to drink and grieve for those few months to formulate a plan and gather proof that Matty's partner and sergeant were the ones who killed him? As a way to give him a decent cover, to make him look even more like the grieving father, and help explain his abrupt departure to New Mexico to be near his daughter-in-law and granddaughter?

I thought it was only two days since his son was killed?

• Love 1

That was BB levels of tense!  Jonathan Banks was ah-mazing!  The entire story was compelling and the hour just flew.  I feel so sorry for Mike, Matt's widow and even more so for little Kaylee.  Sigh. 

The small scenes with Jimmy and Mike start an interesting relationship that we know later.  JMO, I also feel like I understand more about what Mike sees in Jesse all those years later and why he just hates Walter so much; the archetypes that Walter and Jesse represent hit Mike where he lives.

The suspense, even knowing that Mike lives and those cops die, was so strong.  Mike's confession at the end got me; "I broke my son" broke my heart.

Edited by TrininisaScorp
  • Love 4

I missed it, thanks.  Saul really planned this out if he waited months.  I think he knew they killed Matty the moment he found out Matty was dead.  He knew they did it, and why they did it, and I doubt he looked for proof. 

Edited by Umbelina
  • Love 2

Not that I have a list of favorite TV episodes ever but if I did something would get bumped tonight.

That was so intense and Banks owned it.  I've always loved Mike but he's never shown any emotional range and tonight he floored me.  Yeah, he deserves an Emmy nod if not win for this but I'm used to disappointment when it comes to Emmys.

I feel like I need a couple of those doggy Vicodin after that.  I'm really hating on Walter White too.

explains a lot about his bond with Jesse, being a 12 stepper.  

• Love 3

What more proof did Mike need other than knowing his whole precinct, himself included, was dirty? Maybe knowing that days after his kid was approached by his partner and sarge he was "accidentally" shot?

• Love 1

I got the two days because that's how long it took the dirty cops to kill Matty.  Ooops, and thanks for the correction, that just makes the fact that he waited into a stronger story for Mike.

I thought Mike showed plenty of range on BB, with Jesse, and in his dying scene, and even with his head's butting with Walt.

I'm so happy for the actor that he's getting this chance to play such a good role.

Can Odenkirk carry a show?  I tend to think he can.  Together with Banks though?  Oh hell yes.

• Love 4

explains a lot about his bond with Jesse, being a 12 stepper.

I am assuming some of his drinking was real, and part of the stages of grief thing, but it would also appear enough of his self-medicating was an act designed to carry out the Hoffman and Whassisface hit.

• Love 2

Loved his interaction with Saul, aka Barney Fife.

Correction, Saul is Matlock (or Paul Newman dressed as Matlock), Mike is Barney Fife.

Great episode. I wasn't thrilled with the cuts back and forth in time but it all gelled in the end. But - they keep doing something that irritates me no end. There are too many scenes in the dark. Chuck's house, the hospital room, the nail salon, they're so dark you can hardly see what's happening. However, you can justify those because Chuck doesn't use electricity and the nail salon is closed. But a police interview room should be brightly lit, not dark as a dungeon.

• Love 2

I have loved a lot of the episode so far but this one takes the cake.

For those who call it an intense episode I disagree though this is my favorite. I thought it was intensely gripping and it felt like the shortest episode of the entire series so far. The simple fact though that we saw him breaking into the officers car coupled with the fact that he is a well established character who always seems to be two steps of everybody else (save maybe for w.w. And Gus) I knew it was a set up.

Picture this though only a few days after the murders in which he had already planned his "escape" to Albuquerque, he shows up at his daughters house completely sober. this really leads me to believe that the entire six months he was faking being an alcoholic just so he can set this up.

Mike if you are at BB fan already seems to have this aura of invincibility. He skillfully pickpockets that guy with the notebook in just a few seconds and while it is a well-known technique to use a distraction to actually get inside the personal space of somebody is still take deft hands.

This worries me though because Mike seems to be better than the sum of its parts. He is an ex cop, adirty one,and as far as we know that is the extent of his skills. Yet whether it be taking on Walter White, criminals ambushing a drug shipment, dirty cops and even lawyers he always seems to be better than everybody. is his. character too strong, so to speak?

• Love 1

IRL I bet that situation gets reenacted countless times, in any city, county, state, provence, parish, or country with rampant corruption.

I haven't been listening to the podcasts, but I'd be curious to hear if that reality was partially behind this episode's development.

• Love 2

"But a police interview room should be brightly lit, not dark as a dungeon."

I take it to be noir-like nod, an interrogation under the hot lamp. Although it was probably just a lapse in production.

• Love 1

I have loved a lot of the episode so far but this one takes the cake.

For those who call it an intense episode I disagree though this is my favorite. I thought it was intensely gripping and it felt like the shortest episode of the entire series so far. The simple fact though that we saw him breaking into the officers car coupled with the fact that he is a well established character who always seems to be two steps of everybody else (save maybe for w.w. And Gus) I knew it was a set up.

Picture this though only a few days after the murders in which he had already planned his "escape" to Albuquerque, he shows up at his daughters house completely sober. this really leads me to believe that the entire six months he was faking being an alcoholic just so he can set this up.

Mike if you are at BB fan already seems to have this aura of invincibility. He skillfully pickpockets that guy with the notebook in just a few seconds and while it is a well-known technique to use a distraction to actually get inside the personal space of somebody is still take deft hands.

This worries me though because Mike seems to be better than the sum of its parts. He is an ex cop, adirty one,and as far as we know that is the extent of his skills. Yet whether it be taking on Walter White, criminals ambushing a drug shipment, dirty cops and even lawyers he always seems to be better than everybody. is his. character too strong, so to speak?

Breaking Bad spoilers here!

As smart as Mike was, he greatly underestimated Walter and that's what did him in.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 2

BB spoilers ahead!

I agree and I noted as such in the post. Still in the end wasn't exactly as though Walter outsmarted mike. Mike was the main reason Walters more lame attempts fell flat. Remember it was only the combined efforts and scheming of Walt, Jessie, and Saul that really was enough to overcome mikes protection.

Which brings an interesting question to my mind that just came to me now. It seems Saul/jimmy and Mike are going to have a very established relationship much stronger and time tested than what saul had with Walter White. Why did Saul eventually turn on mike and Gus.

Edited by Kencorp

I don't think Saul ever turned on Mike, and he had no relationship with Gus.  Gus WAS going to kill his cash cow though.

Remember, Saul was giving Jesse MIKE'S money to deliver, but Walter took it instead.

I'm OK with Mike being smarter than most.  He's older, he's self contained, he's a dirty cop in a completely dirty force so he learned young the way things work, and about trust.  Some people simply know more, from experience and IQ, and I have no problem thinking Mike has both, especially after this wonderful episode.

Edited by Umbelina
  • Love 1

I wouldn't say Mike took on WW. Held him at arm's length--sure.

Maybe Mike's parking attendant job is an attempt to be a law-abiding citizen for his granddaughter to know, and not some angle into Alberqurque's underworld. If so, his infallibility may not be assured.

• Love 1

I really think Gilligan is attempting something quite remarkable, and so far, it looks like he is going to pull it off. To me, BB was a multi-year exploration of the cost of pride, how very smart people, and some not so smart, get so obssessed with protecting the image they have of themselves in their head, that they destroy what the tell themselves they love most. It succeeded, and then some. More than ever, it appears to me that BCS is going to be an exploration of the price of remorse, how the attempt to erase what can't be erased, the past, in all the chronic pain the past can summon, only leads to more pain. It's heartbreaking, and I can't wait to explore it again next week.

• Love 21

I find it interesting here that they made Mike so justified (relatively) in the killing of the two officers. Not the revenge angle, but the fact that he was basically acting in self defense as they were about to kill him and make it look like a suicide. In BB, Mike is a hired gun who assassinates people when Gus needs it, without any qualms. BB Mike would have killed them right out, and not waited to pull out the hidden gun only when he seemed to be in danger.

I wonder if this is to fit more with the tone of BCS, or if they are implying Mike isn't that dirty just yet.