Type keyword(s) to search

Like Sand Through an Hourglass: Behind the Scenes of DOOL

Message added by Door County Cherry

The Behind The Scenes thread is not a spoiler thread.  So spoilers, including casting information, do not belong in here.  The "behind the scenes" information specifically related to casting should go in either the spoiler thread or the Salem International thread which discusses. departures and arrivals thread. 

• Start Topic

17 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

I doubt Marlena will be paired with Roman again now, much less another man. Most of her storylines (at least under Ron) were her hypnotizing patients or palling around with pet characters like Leo, Alex and Paulina. Doc's kids - Belle, Sami, Carrie and Eric - are no longer in Salem. Her family is Brady, Tate, Holly and Johnny, all of whom are more involved with other characters.

Sure, she has lots of friends....but most of her scenes and stories were with John. That's over now.

I hope they are able to still give her good material somehow moving forward.

Honestly at this point in her life, Marlena doesn't really need a love interest(I'm not opposed to one I just never found it necessary for this character).  I mean Alice never moved on from Tom but she was still important and part of a lot of stories until her passing. Just have her deal with the drama of her children and grandchildren. Like what they are doing with Maggie right now. I don't expect her to have another love interest after Victor at this point in her life and same with Julie and Doug.

• Like 12
6 hours ago, JBC344 said:

I wouldn't be surprised in a year or two if they either brought back Don Craig (new actor of course) or brought a new distinguished actor to Days for a pairing with Deidre. 

A mature love story could be interesting.  

We also still don't know what that Alison Sweeney storyline is, it could be John's death. TPTB may have known he was terminal and not filming anymore.  So we may see it in March or April, instead of the summer. 

There's absolutely no reason to recast Don Craig. It's bad enough his exit was going to the post office and never returning I don't see the point in bringing him back. Especially since this show barely acts like he was a significant part of Days history(he was married to Maggie and Julie's first love) beyond referencing DJ's death. However I'm not opposed to Marlena finding romance at her age either. 

I could see them bringing back Wayne Northrup in another role(although I doubt he would do this unless Days were to end or Deidre wanted to retire). 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, oceanblue said:

OK if they bring back Wayne Northrup and say that the guy running the Brady Publ all this time was Chris Kositcheck I will never stop laughing.

That thought has crossed my mind tbh. I would be all for it. Wayne was my favorite Roman but I do think Drake has just as much of a claim on that role too tbh. 

• Like 2

Super glad to hear Anna and Will are back. Missed them.

I hope all these returns are both for a John memorial and something more fun. A whole bunch of cameos for only a day or two are nice but spreading out returns over a few weeks gives us time to catch up with the characters. 

I'm not particularly excited to see Ciara, though. Am I alone in that?

• Like 3
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, CanaryFan98 said:

There's absolutely no reason to recast Don Craig. It's bad enough his exit was going to the post office and never returning I don't see the point in bringing him back.

Agree about the bad exit of Don Craig. But the point of bringing anyone back is simply about nostalgia. Most fans enjoy seeing their favorites again (i.e. Bo & Hope), even if it's just for a brief storyline. 

• Like 6
2 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

I'm not particularly excited to see Ciara, though. Am I alone in that?

You're not alone.  I was hoping she and OllieBenAlex had taken a three hour tour on the Minnow and would never be seen again.  

She's so insufferable I'd rather watch Kristen or even Paulina.  Typing that actually HURT.

• Like 4
  • LOL 9
10 hours ago, Soapy Goddess said:

Agree about the bad exit of Don Craig. But the point of bringing anyone back is simply about nostalgia. Most fans enjoy seeing their favorites again (i.e. Bo & Hope), even if it's just for a brief storyline. 

I'd rather that they won't bring back Don Craig with a recast out of respect for Jed Allan's memory. They had plenty of times to approach him, seek reconciliation and resolve this matter when he was available, so why now? Those favorites you mentioned have ties to Salem and aren't forgotten unlike Don.

• Like 4
(edited)

Also, hate to say it but...there have been few instances where a character firmly written out was brought back for something worthwhile in the last decade.

Jack, Bo, Megan, Kristen, Ava and Abigail were all exhumed for the shock value and have floundered utterly since.

Vivian is probably the only character who has come back multiple times and still been fun (because she's fun to write for and silliness suits her). And Will should have never been killed off in the first place.

Don Craig? Would that really be a worthwhile return?

Edited by DisneyBoy
  • Like 2
(edited)

I understand people grieve differently. But that statement sounded like it was most definitely written by a PR person or an AI bot. After all the fans that adored Deirdre and Drake as a couple she could’ve at least, or whoever wrote it, make it sound  a little more personal. I mean, you compare that to Stephe Nichols, Patrika Darbo, etc., and it is really lacking. There  is no excuse for something so cold, if indeed it was written by someone else, they did a pretty bad job displaying any sort of emotion or affection > I think fans of the couple expected something more touching. I guess reality gets confused with make believe . But moving on. She was never my favorite character although I did like some of the storylines through the years. I think her partners brought out the best in her. 

Edited by chediavolo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
(edited)

Not if they've been paying attention to Deidre in general for the last decade or so. I'm not saying she's a bad person, but folks have called her character RoboMar for a reason. Her performance has become more removed over time. Maybe she has too. She doesn't fawn much these days in interviews. Maybe its just her natural personality, maybe its aging, maybe its other stuff, who knows.

Performative grief is tacky. I'm sure nobody who knows her personally is surprised she's not putting herself front and center here. It doesn't mean she hated Drake...maybe she's much more private than we previously realized? Who knows.

Jarlena arguably was the show's biggest love story, but...it's make-believe. It's all pretend. She isn't required to sob on camera for us to be reassured or something (not saying you suggested that). Whether she adored him or not isn't our business. Others clearly did, and that's comforting to know.

...I don't understand it either and I'd like to think they were great colleagues...but I'm not surprised and I'm giving her a pass on this.

Edited by DisneyBoy
  • Like 12
13 hours ago, boes said:

You're not alone.  I was hoping she and OllieBenAlex had taken a three hour tour on the Minnow and would never be seen again.  

She's so insufferable I'd rather watch Kristen or even Paulina.  Typing that actually HURT.

Agreed about the Kristen we are getting now but Paulina. NO!!!

• LOL 3
16 hours ago, Soapy Goddess said:

While I agree in Don Craig's case the actor has passed it wouldn't be the same with a recast.

That being said I'm all for returns of old characters especially since we don't know who much time Days has left tbh.

3 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

Also, hate to say it but...there have been few instances where a character firmly written out was brought back for something worthwhile in the last decade.

Jack, Bo, Megan, Kristen, Ava and Abigail were all exhumed for the shock value and have floundered utterly since.

Vivian is probably the only character who has come back multiple times and still been fun (because she's fun to write for and silliness suits her). And Will should have never been killed off in the first place.

Don Craig? Would that really be a worthwhile return?

Not without Jed Allan in the role? If he was still around I would consider it but he passed in 2021 so I don't see a recast hitting the same. 

• Like 3
9 hours ago, chediavolo said:

I understand people grieve differently. But that statement sounded like it was most definitely written by a PR person or an AI bot. After all the fans that adored Deirdre and Drake as a couple she could’ve at least, or whoever wrote it, make it sound  a little more personal. I mean, you compare that to Stephe Nichols, Patrika Darbo, etc., and it is really lacking. There  is no excuse for something so cold, if indeed it was written by someone else, they did a pretty bad job displaying any sort of emotion or affection > I think fans of the couple expected something more touching. I guess reality gets confused with make believe . But moving on. She was never my favorite character although I did like some of the storylines through the years. I think her partners brought out the best in her. 

9 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

Not if they've been paying attention to Deidre in general for the last decade or so. I'm not saying she's a bad person, but folks have called her character RoboMar for a reason. Her performance has become more removed over time. Maybe she has too. She doesn't fawn much these days in interviews. Maybe its just her natural personality, maybe its aging, maybe its other stuff, who knows.

Performative grief is tacky. I'm sure nobody who knows her personally is surprised she's not putting herself front and center here. It doesn't mean she hated Drake...maybe she's much more private than we previously realized? Who knows.

Jarlena arguably was the show's biggest love story, but...it's make-believe. It's all pretend. She isn't required to sob on camera for us to be reassured or something (not saying you suggested that). Whether she adored him or not isn't our business. Others clearly did, and that's comforting to know.

...I don't understand it either and I'd like to think they were great colleagues...but I'm not surprised and I'm giving her a pass on this.

Dee's reaction to Jed Allan's passing was in stark contrast with her response to Drake's. She clearly adored him. So Deidre was able write a personal tribute if the said colleague passed away shared a bond with her. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 2