Type keyword(s) to search

Tennis Thread

cms
  • Start Topic

9 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Since we are apparently hurling toward the time that we shall all spontaneously combust, tptb might want to figure it out.

Yes, eventually entirely or mostly outdoor sports like golf and tennis are going to have to go with a mix of changing the season of certain tournaments when they don't want to change the location, and changing the location of certain tournaments when they don't want to change the season. But a summer golf tournament in Arizona, for example, will soon not be viable, and AZ will have to start hosting in winter instead.

• Like 4
19 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

Yes, eventually entirely or mostly outdoor sports like golf and tennis are going to have to go with a mix of changing the season of certain tournaments when they don't want to change the location, and changing the location of certain tournaments when they don't want to change the season. But a summer golf tournament in Arizona, for example, will soon not be viable, and AZ will have to start hosting in winter instead.

PGA tournaments are not held in the summer in Arizona even now, they are held in the early spring. No one is playing in 100+ degrees.

A better golf comparison is something like the Fedex Championship, which was held in Atlanta a couple of weeks ago in ridiculous heat and humidity conditions, like this year’s US Open. Those Deep South tournaments may need to be relocated northwards.

• Like 3

I guess it's a good thing that I'm not in charge of...anything, as I would have these asshats, regardless of their agenda, jerked outta there in a New York minute. Those little town blues. Where's Frank Reagan when we need him?

This is ridiclous.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Like 2
  • LOL 2
1 minute ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I hope it was sustainable, renewable glue.

Someone might want to tell the climate nutters most glue is petroleum based. 🙄

NYPD should've yanked his dumb ass up and left the soles of his feet there.

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
33 minutes ago, TVbitch said:

Wow, so very enjoyable watching Mads totally dismantle Sabalenka in that first set! Hope it continues. I'm rooting for her to win this whole tourney. 

I don't know who I would root for in a Coco/Maddie final. Love them both. Just put that screamer away already!

• Like 1

Okay Maddie is up a  break in the third.  I'm not watching live because I realize I just can't stand Sabalenka.   I really hope for a Coco Maddie final though I will probably feel torn as for which of them to root for.

During the delay Chris Evert mentioned a match at the US Open between Martina and her that was interrupted by some drunks having a "fight" in the crowd.  Then I remembered that I was actually at that match!  It was in 1981 I think.

What I remember was that the action stopped and the players were looking up confused.  It sounded like some drunk guys yelling "Go Chrissie!"

The security people got them out of there and after that I saw Bud Collins go over to interview the other people who had been sitting around them.

• LOL 1
45 minutes ago, Phebemarie said:

Sabalenka's noise making is ridiculous.  

This is why I can’t root for her.  It’s awful.

Heartbreaking for Keys.  She bagelled Sabalenka in the first set, was up 4-2 in the second, and couldn’t close it out.  

I would have enjoyed seeing a Gauff/Keys final.  

• Like 4

IIRC, 5-4 lead serving for the final with a set in hand.  Man, this was as painful as Williams exit 8 years ago, more or less.

I probably would've been upset with a Coco loss on a Saturday, but that should've meant being okay with Keys winning.  Instead, I'll be upset if she loses, period.  And then, for me, insult will be added to injury with the outcome of another tournament final taking place the following day

I understand grunting when hitting the ball, but Sabalenka doesn't do just that.  She whines for an extended period of time, completely muffling any sound the ball might make.  Her whining was more pronounced when her game was in jeopardy.   I guess elite athletes have much better focus than the average viewer, but it seems like she uses vocalization as a weapon, and it doesn't seem fair.

• Like 10
2 hours ago, Phebemarie said:

I understand grunting when hitting the ball, but Sabalenka doesn't do just that.  She whines for an extended period of time, completely muffling any sound the ball might make.  Her whining was more pronounced when her game was in jeopardy.   I guess elite athletes have much better focus than the average viewer, but it seems like she uses vocalization as a weapon, and it doesn't seem fair.

Fully agree.  It's like she's making a pitch to get cast as Black Canary in the DC Extended Universe movies!

I recall people always complaining about Maria Sharapova and calling her Shriekapova, but Maria's very pronounced grunts/shrieks/screams were only when hitting the ball.  Sabalenka is way worse and like you said, it seems like she does it to try and distract her opponent or to break their concentration.

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, blackwing said:

Fully agree.  It's like she's making a pitch to get cast as Black Canary in the DC Extended Universe movies!

I recall people always complaining about Maria Sharapova and calling her Shriekapova, but Maria's very pronounced grunts/shrieks/screams were only when hitting the ball.  Sabalenka is way worse and like you said, it seems like she does it to try and distract her opponent or to break their concentration.

Are her opponent permitted to go to the judge with the attempt to get her to shut up?

My heart hurts for Maddie Keys. That was a rough one to lose. Totally Team Coco now. 

Now ready to cheer like mad for Ben Shelton in that 3 pm match. I want him to bring all his chaos-agent, Bugs-Bunny-esque energy to the court today to drive Djokovic bananas. And while I do not want anything close to that Hell Adjacent Heat we saw in the Medvedev/Rublev match, Ben DID play college tennis for Florida (my alma mater!) and he is used to playing in uber-warm conditions. 

• Like 5

Wow. After that heatstroke match against Rublev, I did not think Daniil would have it in him. The guy must be FIT. Hope he can do it again Sunday. 

The best thing about this match is that Watson was WRONG. Suck it AI!!! 

Oh, and Cliffy flirting with Charlize Theron

• Like 4
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

It's pretty sad, really as it relates to TB12.  If cartoons were (still) a thing, the cartoon would be more realistic.

What's not sad would be the JOKE not having to worry about Carlos, but then Daniil still wins on Sunday

• Like 2

I yelped aloud at that camera shot of TB12. STOP IT TOMMY. WE CAN ALL TELL. 

Cliffy flirting with Charlize was adorable. I could feel him blushing through the screen.  

I suppose I'll be cheering for Daniil on Sunday, as I'm so done with Djokavic. 

Today, it's Coco Time. LFG.

• Like 3
12 hours ago, TVbitch said:

The best thing about this match is that Watson was WRONG. Suck it AI!!! 

Oh, and Cliffy flirting with Charlize Theron

I'm missing your point about "Watson".  I think I missed something.

Cliffy flirting with Charlize was just too precious.  At least it was respectful, no?

While I was rooting for Alcaraz, I didn't mind Medvedev winning, and I'm rooting for him to beat Djoker.  

Speaking of that thing Djoker, I will say that I didn't mind him trolling Ben Shelton because I'd like for Shelton to cut out the antics.  He probably won't though, and he'll probably ramp it up. 

Tom Brady's face is actually scary-looking, and he's worse than a Kardashian with those selfies of his.  That one of him sitting on the bed in his shorts was laughable, although he thought he looked hot.  I guess that was supposed to be a thirst trap photo?  🤣

• Like 2

I'm happy for Coco.  It makes the weekend pretty awesome.  There is still another day this weekend, but it doesn't matter.  Gauff's victory is all that matters for me

Edited by Carey
Double post
  • Like 2
  • Love 2

Ugh. I just don't even know what Med and his team were thinking. They want to try to wear out Novak? That's it? No Plan B?! Novak is almost as fit as Med, so all that happens is Med wears himself out too in the process. Then Novak and his superior and more diverse tennis skills wins.

In conclusion: Med was hoist by his own pitard! 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3
10 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

He had a jacket made for the occasion. So on brand. 🙄

Federer wore a 15 jacket back in the day, so it's not just a Djokovic thing.  And that was received just as badly, but let's be honest, no one's going to give a damn about the jacket these guys wore when they look back at their careers.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
2 hours ago, baldryanr said:
12 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

He had a jacket made for the occasion. So on brand. 🙄

Federer wore a 15 jacket back in the day, so it's not just a Djokovic thing.  And that was received just as badly, but let's be honest, no one's going to give a damn about the jacket these guys wore when they look back at their careers.

What's different here is that Roger is rather beloved, more beloved than Novak.  Well, IMO, overall.  Now Federer had been a villain in a way since people wanted the guy from the USA to win.  Plus, one tends to be "hated" when they win all of the time.  Meanwhile, fake or not, Novak has sounded classy sometimes in his speeches.  Except not completely.  The post match taunting is not classy.  

At the end of the day, both have their fans and the opposite, but overall, Roger seems to be a great guy.  Not so much Djokovic

• Like 6