Type keyword(s) to search

The Winds Of Winter: Book 6 Will Arrive...Someday

• Start Topic

Victarion and Jorah.  I think those two will mortally wound each other fighting over Dany.  

Tommen.  If more people are going to sit on the Iron Throne, he's gotta go and I don't think he'll escape and be spirited away.

JonCon.  Starts a greyscale plague.  Dies from it.

Barristan.  He'll be around long enough to tell Dany about her family's history (when she finally decides to listen).  After that, his purpose is served and he'll probably be offed.

fAegon (if not toward the end of book 6, then in book 7).  Gets to the Iron Throne.  Loses the second Dance.  Dies.

• Love 1

I forgot about fAegon and JonCon. I'll throw Arianne into this pool too since she's inclined to be reckless. I wonder if she'd be misguided enough to try to pair up with Euron once things go south for fAegon?

I can't believe I forgot earlier about Kevan and Pycelle. I thought I was reaching a bit by including Varamyr as a main death.

The show makes me think Shireen might end up being a victim of Melisandre's.

Ramsay should get his but I doubt I'll be so lucky as to have this happen in the next book.

I will cry if Jorah doesn't make it make it back to Westeros. I can deal with him dying in battle but not in Essos. Of course I'd prefer to have him survive and join the Night's Watch (assuming there is such a thing after the epic battle) but I'm basically okay with any fate as long as he makes it back to Westeros and fights in at least one battle.

I'm betting Jorah dies heroically saving Danny, and expires in her arms ("Forgive me, Khaleesi!"). FAegon seems sure to croak, too.

But I can't see Margery dying. If Lannister & Stark are Expies of Lancaster & York, then I reckon the Tyrells are the Tudors, who married into and ultimately supplanted the Lancastrians. If I'm right, then Margery Tyrell is Margaret Beaufort who became Margaret Tudor (who was the mother of Henry VII)

• Love 1

I forgot about fAegon and JonCon. I'll throw Arianne into this pool too since she's inclined to be reckless. I wonder if she'd be misguided enough to try to pair up with Euron once things go south for fAegon?

I can't believe I forgot earlier about Kevan and Pycelle. I thought I was reaching a bit by including Varamyr as a main death.

The show makes me think Shireen might end up being a victim of Melisandre's.

Ramsay should get his but I doubt I'll be so lucky as to have this happen in the next book.

I will cry if Jorah doesn't make it make it back to Westeros. I can deal with him dying in battle but not in Essos. Of course I'd prefer to have him survive and join the Night's Watch (assuming there is such a thing after the epic battle) but I'm basically okay with any fate as long as he makes it back to Westeros and fights in at least one battle.

I'd like Jorah to get back to Westeros too but if this series has taught us anything, it's that both the reader and the characters usually don't get what they want.

• Love 1
But I can't see Margery dying. If Lannister & Stark are Expies of Lancaster & York, then I reckon the Tyrells are the Tudors, who married into and ultimately supplanted the Lancastrians. If I'm right, then Margery Tyrell is Margaret Beaufort who became Margaret Tudor (who was the mother of Henry VII)

It would make sense, especially with the show's expanded role of Margery. But generally, I don't think Martin cares about War of the Roses anymore. It just served as a starting point back when he created the foundation of the story.

• Love 2

I think WoW (If it ever get's here) is going to be a blood bath.   I go up and down on Margaery Tyrell's chances for survival.   I think Margaery will win her trial before the faith, I think she and the Tyrell have cultivated to good an appearance with the masses for the High Septon to draw that kind of ire, especially when the Faith  is just getting back on it's feet in terms of power.   If he planned to have Margaery found Guilty I don't think she would have been allowed to leave the Sept of Baelor,   I do think (though reserve the right to change my mind) that Margaery and Mace Tyrell will die when Cersei sets Robert Strong loose on them.   A near zombie fighter who can't be killed and barely seems human.   I think it will bit Cersei though, because I'm willing to bet that though Cersei manages to kill Mace and Margaery, Tommen dies by Robert Strongs hand as well, maybe Tommen is with Margaery when Robert Strong comes after her.   Maybe that's the point of the incorporated (in the show) secret night visits between Tommen and Margaery on the show.

I also think Myrcella will die before Tommen and I think it will be by the Martells or at Jon Connington's request.   I think Myrcella's death will destroy Cersei and than losing Tommen, her last child will be the final straw.   I do think Cersei herself willl still be alive until the final book.

I think Jaimie will die in the LAST book, I think somehow he will get out of his Lady Stoneheart predicament (which is why I don't mind that the show cut her, especially if it's going to be some pathetic contrivance that get's Jaimie out of the trap) but I think he and Cersei will die in Kings Landing.   But it will be due to Danerys in the last book.  I have know doubt that the play Cersei heard about and ordered punishment for, the one where the Lions kill and destroy the Direwolves and Stags and trample roses but in the end are all devoured by Dragons.

I'm not sure how, but I am certain Theon will be making his permanent exit.

For some reason I don't think Robyn Arryn will be around for the final book but I'm undecided on whether or not Sansa will play a role in it.  

I think Myrcella will die before Tommen and that it will be this that causes Cersei to stupidly turn Tommen into a king on the run. When the going gets tough Cersei is inclined to run (quite literally in the case of her arrest at the Great Sept) and she's already voiced her thoughts about her wish that court could be moved to the more comfortable Casterly Rock, although at least when the conversation comes up with Jaime she admits she understands it would be a bad idea . I can see Cersei trying to burn down the Red Keep before they leave.

I think we're being lulled into a false sense of security wrt Margaery and her trial. I think she'll either lose the trial and be executed or that Mace, now that he no longer has Kevan to keep him in check, might refuse altogether to have Margaery present herself for trial and she'll be found guilty because of this.

I'm torn about Robin Arryn too. I can see that he isn't meant to live long but they need him right now plus, what if Harry the Heir won't easily be pushed around by Littlefinger?

Edmure Tully--he probably has to go if that plot is ever going to move forward. Doran makes sense too now that I think about it. He'll be gutted over news of Quentyn. I think Trystane will live and that's one of the reasons his role has been expanded on the show.

I go back and forth on Marge.  I keep thinking it's unlikely for both to win their trials and, while Marge looks more innocent she's the one who would likely lose.  Keeping Cersei around is hilarious for plot reasons, though if the guess that Sandor fights Frankengregor during Cersei's trial is correct, it spells the end of Sandor.  Marge's execution would turn the Tyrells openly against the Lannisters. 

I don't know how it will fall out for the second Dance, just that I think the Tyrells and the Tarlys will probably end up on opposite sides.

Edited by GreyBunny

I agree that the Tarlys seem like they might end up falling out with the Tyrells. I'm guessing there's a plot related reason for why Randyll Tarly is the one who has the task of returning Margaery to the Sept for trial. Mace seems like he's on the verge of telling the High Septon to fuck off but it's Randyll Tarly's word that will be broken if they fail to comply and I can't see Randyll not caring about something like that.

I feel like Margaery living is the least exciting option. Apart from marrying for a fourth time I don't feel like there's all that much she can bring to the table as far as the overall plot goes.

I agree that the Tarlys seem like they might end up falling out with the Tyrells. I'm guessing there's a plot related reason for why Randyll Tarly is the one who has the task of returning Margaery to the Sept for trial. Mace seems like he's on the verge of telling the High Septon to fuck off but it's Randyll Tarly's word that will be broken if they fail to comply and I can't see Randyll not caring about something like that.

Also since Randyll's wife was a Florent, that gives House Tarly a claim on Highgarden now-especially if there's a regime change like fAegon/Arianne in the Red Keep.  Remember the GC did reference having 'friends' in the Reach...

• Love 1

Also since Randyll's wife was a Florent, that gives House Tarly a claim on Highgarden now-especially if there's a regime change like fAegon/Arianne in the Red Keep.  Remember the GC did reference having 'friends' in the Reach...

As someone who really wants the Tyrells to start suffering like the other major houses, I'm a big fan of the theory that tough bastard Tarly will side with the macho young conqueror and not foolish Mace, sweet Tommen and licentious Cersei. I don't know what will happen on the show. Maybe Loras lives and gets to be Lord because there's no viable alternative on TV, but Margaery seems doomed in both cases. TV has beefed up her role, but Cersei wants her dead, the High Septon will want her dead if he's convinced that she's guilty, and anyone who's against Lannister rule (like the Sand Snakes and Varys) should want her dead because that breaks their most powerful alliance.

Regarding Margaery, it strikes me as a possibility that she's going to have to become a silent sister or whatever they're called to survive. Just a thought. Which would suck for her because book or show, I don't think that's her thing. She's gone the full pious route, though, which is probably the only route left to her. I think she serves to demonstrate the point, that if you were a woman in that kind of society, you can play the game as well as you want, but your status is limited and it takes very little to send you hurtling toward an unpleasant or awful fate.

But in any case, if he is really thinking end game, it seems likely that all of this politicking needs to become so obviously miniscule with the threat of the White Walkers. The thing is he seems to be in the weeds so I don't know when and if that's going to happen.

The only thing that has me thinking Margaery Tyrell won't lose her trial is the fact that the actress is rather well-known for being killed off as an adulterous Queen already.   If Margaery Tyrell is going to die, I do think it will be in some way that only the nobles know it's murder.   I don't think it will be the "law" or "faith" that will spell her doom.

I believe it's also been posted, but didn't GRRM say that we readers would be seeing Olenna Tyrell again?   This has me wondering if she will be in Kings Landing for Margaery's trial.   Since he also say's that a FEW more people will sit on the Iron Throne before the end of the series, I'm thinking the death of Mace, Margaery and Olenna prompts Garlan and Willas to throw in with House Martell, though they'll be 2nd class citizens in the new regime, they'll take it just for the chance to get back at Cersei.   And Tommen's death will bring about the Aegon/Arianne Regime.   Which will probably be the Iron Throne holders who close out TWOW.   Though that may botch my previous theories on Jaimie and Cersei.

But in any case, if he is really thinking end game, it seems likely that all of this politicking needs to become so obviously miniscule with the threat of the White Walkers. The thing is he seems to be in the weeds so I don't know when and if that's going to happen.

I feel like the intrigues are going to get even more intense even with the "Others" thing going on.  He said in the next book alone we'll have "More Betrayals, More Murder, More  Weddings."

The only thing that has me thinking Margaery Tyrell won't lose her trial is the fact that the actress is rather well-known for being killed off as an adulterous Queen already.

I doubt GRRM would care about that, or even D&D would, not should they. It's not like so many people have seen The Tudors anyway, compared to GoT's audience.

Personally, I don't really care about Margery. She's such a minor player in the books. I only hope Cersei gets a worthy ending and and at least one big scene with Jaime. Love her or hate her, she's been a major presense since the beginning, and I hope she goes out with a bang.

• Love 1

That would be very tricky.  I mean on one hand Olenna has problems of her own right now.  She's in Highgarden and the Iron Born are out for blood and it doesn't look like House Tyrell will be getting military support on that front anytime soon.    Whatever forces they do have at their disposal seem to be under Mace's control and he isn't leaving Kings Landing until he knows that Margaery is secured.    GRRM did say we would see her again so I assume she survives the Iron Born attacks but I don't know if she'll be in a position to pay anyone back.   On one hand it has a nice symmetry in that Olenna rid the realm of one of the maddest kings ever by murdering Cersei's son (though she did it for selfish reasons) and now she's on the wrong side of things by losing Margaery (Cersei unknowingly paying her debt to House Tyrell).

I don't know if I see her going after Tommen.   I think if Olenna has time, she'll plot revenge against House Lannister but how exactly I couldnt' begin to imagine.   I can't see them allying themselves with Aegon.   There is know way Margaery would be Queen and they are FAR to entrenched with House Lannister now.  The Roses are in a bit of a spot.   At this point I think the best they can hope for (and I mean HOPE) is to break even out of this whole mess.   If they get to hold onto Highgarden when all is said and done, I will be VERY impressed.

• Love 1

If Marge dies the Lannister-Tyrell alliance is done.  One of the Sand Snakes might off Tommen so that would also effectively end the already fragile alliance.

Aegon needs allies.  Randall Tarly has had it up to HERE with Mace.  I think Tarly and his bannermen are going to jump ship and join Aegon and, presumably, Dorne.  I expect the Florents (such as they are) to join them.

I think the Tyrells are going to stay loyal to Dany, the Targs gave the Tyrells the Reach over the Florents so they'll likely stay loyal, plus Dany will have full hate-on for the Lannisters (minus the exiled Tyrion who I think will genuinely ally with her) which will make the Tyrells happy.

Aegon needs allies.  Randall Tarly has had it up to HERE with Mace.  I think Tarly and his bannermen are going to jump ship and join Aegon and, presumably, Dorne.  I expect the Florents (such as they are) to join them.

I think the Tyrells are going to stay loyal to Dany, the Targs gave the Tyrells the Reach over the Florents so they'll likely stay loyal, plus Dany will have full hate-on for the Lannisters (minus the exiled Tyrion who I think will genuinely ally with her) which will make the Tyrells happy.

That sounds very, VERY plausible to me.  Agree that House Tyrell will be lucky if they can keep Highgarden when this is all done; I like the Tyrell's but when Mace got it in his head that he could have a grandchild on the IT, he seriously over-reached and the whole House will pay for his hubris.  As Olenna warned him it's dangerous to try to ride a lion as he's only now starting to learn.

• Love 1

I don't know if I see Dany being to fond of House Tyrell considering how entwined the House has been with the Lannisters for the last few years.   The Premiere daughter has been married into the family twice now.  Loyalty seems to be a big thing with her.

Although the Tyrells have one good thing going for them, throughout their time at the top any fault or ill-moves by the Throne has been blamed on House Lannister.   They through manuevering have mad the Lannisters' wonderful fall guys for ALL the bad.   Those who have seen first hand the inner workings of the royal court know the Tyrells have been for the most part indifferent to the troubles of others, wanting to help only when it won't cost them anything and they stand to benefit down the line, but the rank and file don't know that.

I think Margaery is doomed but as a House, I think House Tyrell could still go either way.

Agree that House Tyrell will be lucky if they can keep Highgarden when this is all done; I like the Tyrell's but when Mace got it in his head that he could have a grandchild on the IT, he seriously over-reached and the whole House will pay for his hubris.  As Olenna warned him it's dangerous to try to ride a lion as he's only now starting to learn.

One has got to give them credit, they made a VERY good attempt at taking and controling the throne.  Of everyone who's made a bid theirs has been the most subtle and effective.   And proving how my opinion can flip flop I have to ask can they REALLY lose Highgarden.   Aren't they married into just about every other major House in the reach to protect them in times like these?

They really are the most prudent planners in the Seven Kingdoms.

Edited by Advance35

I don't know if I see Dany being to fond of House Tyrell considering how entwined the House has been with the Lannisters for the last few years.   The Premiere daughter has been married into the family twice now.  Loyalty seems to be a big thing with her.

That may be, but it's not as if she has a plethora of options among the Great Houses. They either all rebelled against her father or collaborated after the fact. Even the Martells plan to marry Myrcella into their family.

The Greyjoys might be the only exception. I don't think they rebelled against Aerys, but I don't think they helped out either (and if they had attacked the North then, it might have really helped out). I doubt the loyalty of sitting on one's hands will impress Daenerys. Nor will Balon's rebellions against the Iron Throne, since he was fighting for independence, not to restore the Targaryens. And given Daernery's stance on slavery, I doubt she'd be enthralled by the Kingdom of Salt Wives and Thralls.

So unless Daenerys plans to replace all of the Great Houses, she'll have to deal with some that either rebelled against her family or patched things up with the new regime.

One has got to give them credit, they made a VERY good attempt at taking and controling the throne.  Of everyone who's made a bid theirs has been the most subtle and effective.   And proving how my opinion can flip flop I have to ask can they REALLY lose Highgarden.   Aren't they married into just about every other major House in the reach to protect them in times like these?

True and that WAS a masterstroke on their part-thing is though, that House Hightower, (their closest and most valuable allies,) are in real trouble too, because of the imminent IB invasion of Oldtown, and other important houses  (coughTarlycough,) also have certain ancestral claims on Highgarden they could assert.  Moreover, again depending how far the Iron Born get there may not be any living male Tyrell heirs once this is over anyway.  I'm pretty sure Mace is doomed, though, his sons might well fare better.

That may be, but it's not as if she has a plethora of options among the Great Houses. They either all rebelled against her father or collaborated after the fact. Even the Martells plan to marry Myrcella into their family.

The Greyjoys might be the only exception. I don't think they rebelled against Aerys, but I don't think they helped out either (and if they had attacked the North then, it might have really helped out). I doubt the loyalty of sitting on one's hands will impress Daenerys. Nor will Balon's rebellions against the Iron Throne, since he was fighting for independence, not to restore the Targaryens. And given Daernery's stance on slavery, I doubt she'd be enthralled by the Kingdom of Salt Wives and Thralls.

So unless Daenerys plans to replace all of the Great Houses, she'll have to deal with some that either rebelled against her family or patched things up with the new regime.

And if Jorah can get himself back into Dany's good graces, I'm sure he can tell her stories about Ironborn raids on the Bear Island and how they used to own the place.

True and that WAS a masterstroke on their part-thing is though, that House Hightower, (their closest and most valuable allies,) are in real trouble too, because of the imminent IB invasion of Oldtown, and other important houses  (coughTarlycough,) also have certain ancestral claims on Highgarden they could assert.  Moreover, again depending how far the Iron Born get there may not be any living male Tyrell heirs once this is over anyway.  I'm pretty sure Mace is doomed, though, his sons might well fare better.

I just didn't think House Tarly had the numbers.  I mean he has Dickon and a few daughters (so far unnamed) but that is about their extent from what I had gatheredd (Please correct me if I'm wrong).   Though that doesn't mean their members aren't of note, Lady Westerling turned out to be one of the most treacherous characters in the saga, and she's been an understated character until ADWD.   So who knows what really goes on in House Tarly.

I agree with you in that I think Mace Tyrell will fall victim to the Hand of the King Curse.   And Margaery Tyrell's fate doesn't look promising either, I think House Tyrell's fortunes will depend on Olenna, Willas and Garlan.   GRRM say's we will meet or see again, all 3, and they'll need their A-Game to remain a Great House when the chickens come home to roost.

I'm wondering which Great Houses will be on her Sh&t list.  House Lannisters, House Baratheon, House Stark and House Arryn are I believe, the one's she loathes the most.

Also am I alone in believeing that House Martell has know intention of allowing Trystane to marry Myrcella Lannister?   He may be fond of her, but to the rest of the House, I think she's insurance/bargaining chip to use against House Lannister/the Iron Throne.

I'm wondering which Great Houses will be on her Sh&t list.  House Lannisters, House Baratheon, House Stark and House Arryn are I believe, the one's she loathes the most.

Well, I think at least some of Dany's prejudices will change once she finally hears the true story about what started the Rebellion. And her opinion of Ned will DEFINITELY change once it comes out, Ned protected a Targaryen heir all these years. Really she might change her minds about all of them.... Except for her feelings about the Lannister's since Tywin's sack of King's Landing and the deaths of Elia and the children was both horrifying and dishonorable, and Tywin was clearly (unlike everybody else) acting solely out of self-interest.  But another fact is that Tywin's dead, Jon Arryn's dead, Ned's dead, Robert's dead, Stannis will probably be dead by the time she gets to Westeros so why take vengeance on their children?!?   

I agree with you in that I think Mace Tyrell will fall victim to the Hand of the King Curse.   And Margaery Tyrell's fate doesn't look promising either, I think House Tyrell's fortunes will depend on Olenna, Willas and Garlan.   GRRM say's we will meet or see again, all 3, and they'll need their A-Game to remain a Great House when the chickens come home to roost.

Yeah, I think on the show Willas and Garlan's role will be taken over by Loras-and there's probably a reason we've seen him become increasingly disenchanted with the Lannisters.  Frankly, I think their best chance may be to find a way to serve Dany, since other Reach houses will have declared for fAegon.

• Love 1

The more I think about it, the more I think the Tyrells survival depends on who they declare for once the Lannister alliance breaks, Dany or fAegon. If they go for Dany they might be able to rely on the Tyrells historical allegiance to the Targaryens and their own spin-doctor skills. If they choose fAegon well...I'm not even sure they could spin that to their advantage, if you put it in a list it wouldn't make great reading from Dany's POV.

They bent the knee to the Usurper

They married their daughter to the Usurper's brother once he declared himself king

They married their daughter to the Usurper's son. Or if Dany believes the rumors, a Lannister incest-baby who's father is the Kingslayer

They did it again

They declared for a probable Blackfyre, possibly with another marriage to said daughter

It'll be interesting to see if they can pull their feet out of the fire.

Edited by BookEater
  • Love 1
I just didn't think House Tarly had the numbers.  I mean he has Dickon and a few daughters (so far unnamed) but that is about their extent from what I had gatheredd (Please correct me if I'm wrong).

House Tarly is considered old nobility.  Rich lands, big castle, lots of bannermen.

The Reach can muster about 100,000 soldiers.  Tarly is in command of a big chunk of them, maybe half?  If you want a civil war in the Reach, pitting Randyll vs Mace is the way to do it.  The Redwynes and the Hightowers will be too busy with the Ironborn.  

Edited by GreyBunny

The Reach can muster about 100,000 soldiers.  Tarly is in command of a big chunk of them, maybe half?  If you want a civil war in the Reach, pitting Randyll vs Mace is the way to do it.  The Redwynes and the Hightowers will be too busy with the Ironborn.

Precisely.  It's also worth noting that Randyll Tarly, (while an abusive father and overall jerk,) is widely regarded as one of the finest soldiers in the land.  He's a far better commander then Mace or his sons-which doesn't just give him an advantage in battle but might convince a number of other Reach families, (all too familiar with Mace's bumbling, and perhaps disenchanted with the Lannister alliance,) that Tarly was a better bet.

The more I think about it, the more I think the Tyrells survival depends on who they declare for once the Lannister alliance breaks, Dany of fAegon. If they go for Dany they might be able to rely on the Tyrells historical allegiance to the Targaryens and their own spin-doctor skills. If they choose fAegon well...I'm not even sure they could spin that to their advantage, if you put it in a list it wouldn't make great reading from Dany's POV.

Agreed.  So far the Tyrell's have made a bad habit not only of switching sides but constantly choosing the wrong one.  (Dany might actually prefer a House who while it fought for her enemies did so consistently showing loyalty to their oaths, the way Jaime admired Blackwood more than Bracken and openly despised his erstwhile allies the Frey's.)  Thing is on paper a marriage between Dany and Willas or Margaery/Jon would be a masterstroke but at this point in the game I just don't see it happening realpolitik or not.  

• Love 2

House Tarly is considered old nobility.  Rich lands, big castle, lots of bannermen.

The Reach can muster about 100,000 soldiers.  Tarly is in command of a big chunk of them, maybe half?  If you want a civil war in the Reach, pitting Randyll vs Mace is the way to do it.  The Redwynes and the Hightowers will be too busy with the Ironborn.  

It's interesting to see just how much Randyll's presence has grown since the first book with Sam's story, he's an incredibly important figure for the Tyrells at the moment and if he has enough incentive to turn his cloak I could definitely see an insurrection in The Reach. After all it wouldn't be the first time and it would echo what happened between the Gardener kings and their stewards the Tyrells quite neatly.

• Love 2

Slightly OT but does anyone have anything in particular they are hoping will be elaborated on in TWOIAF when it comes out in October?

I'm hoping we get more about Asshai and the Shadowlands. Anything about old Valyria and the Doom, anything about the Others and the NK, and more background info about the main religions. 

For the Houses and extra info on any of the big eight plus Hightower, Velaryon, Mallister, Blackwood, and Bracken. Oh and anything about castles. I'm really looking forward to seeing what Highgarden and Casterly Rock and Casterly Rock look like. The family trees should be interesting too since the Stark one already contained a couple of surprises.

I'm looking forward to the World Book more than Winds, tbh. At least it has a release date, the unfinished Winds and the other final book(s) in the main series feel more like a different of fantasy for the readers at this point.

I'm looking forward to both of them and I'm hoping that the world book might give us some clues or hints as to what's in store with the next books. I have to think that there's going to be some tantalizing stuff in there and it might even give the sort of info that could kill or give support to various theories. 

Considering how much discussion was generated by the brief appearance of the Night's King on the show, I can only imagine how it might be if we're given a bit of extra info on a character like that.

I was talking to my friend the other day about how if we could only read the remaining story of three characters, who would they be?

My picks:

1. Margaery

2. Jaime

3. Cersei

Perhaps partly because they're all in sticky situations at the end of book 5, but more because they're the most interesting to me. If they do indeed bite it in book 6, I'm not sure what else could keep me invested.

• Love 1

Dany, Arya and Jaime, although I'm really interested in Cersei and Bran's storylines, too. Dany and the dragons are what made me like the series in the first place (I'm a big fantasy fan), and the whole Targaryen stuff still fascinates me, plus it would be way too anticlimactic to never learn the outcome of her conquest in the making. Arya and Jaime are simply favorites - Arya's the character I identified with the strongest, and Jaime being one of the few characters I've actually changed my mind on and having an interesting redemption arc.

Edited by FurryFury

In order although a question like this sometimes changes with my mood, I imagine it's something like this:

For POVs:

1) Jaime (for sure if I could read one sample chapter it would be his first WoW chapter.)

2) Sansa

3) Jon

4) Bran

5) Dany

6) Cersei

7) Melisandre

Non-POVs

1) Littlefinger

2) Stannis

3) Margaery

If I could just get GRRM to tell me one thing though I think I'd ask about the outcome of the trials. If I could ask one question about the past I'd probably ask to about Tyrion's parentage since R+L=J already seems like such a given.

Edited by Avaleigh

The POV I'd like to see is White Walker, or The Others in book parlance (I saw S1-S4 before reading the books).

Perhaps the Walkers see humanity as invaders, or as a disease.  I don't know if we know how long they live, so a few thousand years may not seem like much time to them.

As I recall, according to legend, the Walkers first appeared sometime after the First Men appeared.  Perhaps they didn't care one way or the other about the Children of the Forest, or saw them as fellow "First beings".  But once the Children of the Forest and the First Men made peace, the Walkers saw the Children as turncoats and said screw it, we're lowering the boom.

But I don't think we'll likely get a WW POV unless Bran somehow wargs into one.

• Love 1

How come everyone thinks Tarly would be so quick to turn on the Tyrells?  Admittedly, I'm only about a hundred pages into Dance with Dragons, but Tarly seems to me like the kind of guy who would rather fight a war against the rest of Westeros combined than be a turncloak.

It's neat that everyone's picks are so varied. Also I totally forgot about Melisandre. She might be my #4. I remember seeing that she was a POV and thinking "Yess! We'll finally figure out what her deal is!"

Nope.

I mean we learn some stuff about her, but she's a riddle inside of an enigma and I'm still not sure what her endgame is.

Haha, I had similar hopes for Melisandre's chapter and they were quickly dashed. If anything her chapter ended up giving me even more questions about just what her deal is. My thoughts prior to ADWD is 'Okay, this woman is willing to burn people and children alive if it suits her purpose. She's 100% bad news.' I still think she's leans towards the "bad" side or to put it her way, I think some part of her is rotten to the core and that makes her, by her own definition, a rotten onion. Melisandre doesn't see the world in shades of grey but as totally black and white. She's totally a 'you're with me or you're my enemy' type and something like collateral damage doesn't seem to bother her much at all.

At the same time the kindness she specifically wanted to show Davos after his losses makes me wonder why she'd bother since she has little or to gain from making sure he isn't hurt some more. His loyalty to Stannis doesn't necessarily seem to be dependent on making sure that his family is safe and secure.

As far as her endgame I feel like it could be so many things but I keep coming back to the fact that she genuinely seems to believe that Stannis is AAR. Her stubbornness about this is getting in her way but I find it interesting that she doesn't seem to have considered the possibility that she might be wrong or that she might have misread the flames.

I think my favorite Melisandre theory is that she's a child of Bloodraven and Shiera Seastar. That and the idea that somehow Melisandre is actually a servant of the Great Other and is maybe even connected with the woman/female Other in the story of the Night's King. 

I'm also curious about who will be the first to see through her glamour. 

• Love 2

My 3 POVs:

1. Sansa - because I want the Stark kids to be happy and Sansa might have the best chance, in AFFC she's still capable of kindness despite all she's been through. I know there's probably a 90% likelihood that I'll read about her being miserable instead, but she's not a tree or a child soldier or a half-feral maybe-cannibal, so that 10% chance that she'll get to live in Winterfell or Riverrun after the war is pretty good for ASOIAF.

2. Cersei - because she's entertaining and the most important character in KL where things are set up to implode spectacularly.

3. Jon - because I want something to happen with the Others that will justify their existence. I've spent five books waiting for the zombie apocalypse that's yet to do anything to show the folly of humans squabbling over an iron chair.

Haha, I had similar hopes for Melisandre's chapter and they were quickly dashed. If anything her chapter ended up giving me even more questions about just what her deal is.

At the same time the kindness she specifically wanted to show Davos after his losses makes me wonder why she'd bother since she has little or to gain from making sure he isn't hurt some more. His loyalty to Stannis doesn't necessarily seem to be dependent on making sure that his family is safe and secure.

As far as her endgame I feel like it could be so many things but I keep coming back to the fact that she genuinely seems to believe that Stannis is AAR. Her stubbornness about this is getting in her way but I find it interesting that she doesn't seem to have considered the possibility that she might be wrong or that she might have misread the flames.

I thought her chapter was interesting, but also confusing.  Her compassion for Davos's losses, her saving Mance Rayder's life (I don't think even Stannis knows she did that), her unheeded warnings to Jon, and her various rescue attempts for "Arya" left me wondering what the hell was going on.

As far as Stannis being Azor Ahai, she seems to really believe it, but I have to wonder:  isn't she the one who put the "bright but no heat" spell on his sword for him?  I mean, if she did, she's well aware that it's not the real Lightbringer, therefore she's an active participant in a fraud.  Unless she thinks the story of Lightbringer is just a legend, and any old glowy sword will do.  It just seems out of character for a fanatic who believes in the literal truth of a prophecy to be a participant in faking one part of it.

• Love 5
(edited)

I liked her chapter, I thought it gave some insight into her backstory (her embracing the LoL bailed her out of slavery so no wonder she's a true believer). It explained that her intentions and beliefs are sincere and that her messups and misinterpretations are honest messups and not because she's scamming anyone.

As far as Stannis being Azor Ahai, she seems to really believe it, but I have to wonder:  isn't she the one who put the "bright but no heat" spell on his sword for him?  I mean, if she did, she's well aware that it's not the real Lightbringer, therefore she's an active participant in a fraud.  Unless she thinks the story of Lightbringer is just a legend, and any old glowy sword will do.  It just seems out of character for a fanatic who believes in the literal truth of a prophecy to be a participant in faking one part of it.

She may not be aware.  She's missed other cues and, compared to the other red priests we have seen, she has incomplete information and lacks some skill.  Moqorro and Thoros both have exceeded her skill-wise and Benerro seems better at interpreting and managing information.  I think she thinks the "light no heat" spell is the correct spell for Lightbringer.  (It is called "Lightbringer" and not "Heatbringer" and I doubt she's taken any science classes that explain that heat is typically a byproduct of processes that generate light.)  It seemed that Aemon's tidbit that it was a fake because it gave off no heat is a piece of information that she simply doesn't know.

Edited by GreyBunny

My thought about the Lightbringer thing wrt Melisandre is that she's biding her time until they can get/make the real Lightbringer. The current one is just something to convince any followers of Stannis.

I get all of the stuff with the PWWP and AAR mixed up but wouldn't Melisandre know about the whole Nissa Nissa part of it? Since that hasn't happened with the sword that Stannis is using, why would she think it's the real Lightbringer?

I wonder what gives her the impression that she's the best one in her field. I can't remember how she phrased it but she indicates somewhere in her chapter that nobody was as good at reading the flames as she is or something along those lines and like GreyBunny points out, there are other red priests whose skills seem to exceed hers particularly Moqorro and Thoros. 

Sansa

Arya

Cersei

Actually the first time around (after the 5th book had been published), I mostly only read the Sansa/Arya chapters. When I later went back and read the rest, my opinion of the average quality of the series went down.

• Love 1

I'd pick:

Tyrion: I like his chapters the most.

Bran: With his warging skills he could probably get a pretty good view of what's happening in the entire north (assuming he can warg into animals that passes by a hearth tree).

As for the third one I'm not sure. I'd want to pick someone who will end up in a central position to the plot in the end. Maybe Sansa. I could see her surviving and seeing some pretty interesting parts of the story.

If we're not limited by POV chapters, then these are the characters who I'm most invested in an ending:

(1) Arya

(2) Jon Snow

(3) Stannis/Davos (I know that's a cheat, but I think they are tied together)

If GRRM never finished the books but at least told me how those stories ended, I would feel like I had closure.  I don't care about the Iron Born or anyone from Dorne, and I feel like the Lannister story is pretty much broadcast - both Jaime and Cersei will end up dead, likely Cersei at the hands of Jaime.  And I don't really care how Tyrion ends up at the end of the day.  I really think Dany's story has lost all of its interest for me as well just because it has spent far too long separated from the main.

If I could choose 3 more, then they would be:

(4) Sansa

(5) Brienne

(6) Sam Tarly

I guess at the end of the day I'm a purist - I started these books with the Starks and the Starks are the ones I want to finish with.  Plus, I suspect that the fate(s) of the Starks will also tell me a lot about where everyone else ends up.

Edited by Cheshrkat
  • Love 2