Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E15: Intent

yeswedo

When Evan Smith brings new evidence nullifying the firm’s victory against Liberty Rail, Harvey and Mike must scramble to save the case. But when D.A. Wolf comes after the firm, they’re faced with the real possibility of Donna going to prison for her role. Meanwhile, Jessica and Malone try to adjust to their new roles in each other’s lives.

I doubt it will be romance time but just as a side note.... I'd rather have someone say they love me than "in love with me"  In love sounds a bit temporary.  I'm wondering if by throwing this  emotional issue into the pot, more tension is developed and possible personalities and loyalty challenges arise.

• Love 1

Ok, I hope this episode was intended to explore Harvey's flaws, and not just paint him as hero who would do anything to win a case for someone he loves, because he's a "good" guy. Because Louis was totally right. The only reason D.A. Wolf was even pursuing the case was to get into a dick-swinging match with Harvey. By rising to the challenge, Harvey was only making things worse. If he had done the sensible thing, pretended Donna was only his secretary and meant little to him, and let Louis (or another lawyer he trusted (not Mike, because he's too close to Harvey)) represent her, then Wolf would be denied the satisfaction and his motivation to pursue the case would be reduced. All Harvey had to do was just not show his face in that courtroom and deny Wolf the emotional charge of getting to see him sweat over Donna. Because the abstract belief that he was pissing off Harvey by going after Donna without actually SEEING it would not be enough to get this man to pursue a case like this against his own common sense.

But instead of doing things the smart way, Harvey is incapable of being anything but an overprotective bulldog when it comes to Donna, and instead of playing it smart and winning the right way, he has to go through this whole song and dance, throwing ethics and professional responsibility out the window so that HE can be the one to save the day HIMSELF. And I bet he thinks it makes him look like a hero, too.

And actually, I don't even understand how he DID do it. Didn't they say that once the D.A. decided to pursue a case, only the D.A. could decide to drop it? So Evan didn't even have the power to call it off. How did going after her affect the case against Donna? Or was she still able to drop the case since it hadn't actually gone to trial yet? I found that really unclear. And also, are they now pursuing the case against the Rail company, or did they trade that case to get Donna off the hook the way they wanted to from the start? (It seemed like their goal was to make the case strong again so that they could use it to pressure Evan into dropping the case against Donna in exchange for dropping the case against Liberty Rail, but at the end it seemed like they were just bragging about how they were going to win it. What actually was the deal there? If Harvey traded away their chance to pursue some real scumbags to help Donna, rather than winning her case the right way and still being able to take on Liberty Rail, I am even more unimpressed.)

• Love 3

I didn't think it was clear either but I am pretty sure that Harvey traded the ability to pursue the train people to save Donna. 

And yes he only said 'I love you Donna', not 'I'm in love with you' but I do think we are supposed to think it's a romantic love. Not a turn I was hoping for. 

• Love 1

And actually, I don't even understand how he DID do it. Didn't they say that once the D.A. decided to pursue a case, only the D.A. could decide to drop it? So Evan didn't even have the power to call it off. How did going after her affect the case against Donna? Or was she still able to drop the case since it hadn't actually gone to trial yet?

This is how I understand what happened (and it may not be accurate) - Harvey's argument was that unless Evan admitted the documents incriminated them for the train crash, which I guess would make them public record and able to be used in the case against the company, they could not show damages. That made the charge a misdemeanor instead of felony. He made a big deal out of saying that the DA never prosecutes for intent to commit a felony, which then caused the DA to modify the charge against Donna.

It came off to me that if Harvey had kept his mouth shut and / or let Louis handle it like suggested upthread it probably would have gone away.

Harvey made it go away by blackmailing Evan into making the girl who Donna lied to change her story. Without that girl as a witness, the DA's case went away. That's why they said what he was doing was obstruction of justice.

I thought that moment with Donna and Harvey at the end was great. Those are the sorts of character moments that made me enjoy this show in the first place, and that they can have writing like that makes it all the more frustrating that they seem to prefer throwing away scene after scene with characters arguing and cursing at each other instead.

EDIT: And while I tend to agree with the sentiment that they should have let Louis handle the case, the success of that would certainly all hinge on whether they opted to make Louis a competent lawyer or a bumbling one this week. 

Edited by Cthulhudrew
  • Love 4

I didn't think it was clear either but I am pretty sure that Harvey traded the ability to pursue the train people to save Donna. 

And yes he only said 'I love you Donna', not 'I'm in love with you' but I do think we are supposed to think it's a romantic love. Not a turn I was hoping for. 

Agreed with the first part, but not with the second. As in, while i wasn't expecting or wanting the show to go there, I'm quite okay with them exploring this, either way. They've already landed the one ship I didn't like (Mike / Rachel, coz Rachel's a drip), but it hasn't been bad, it ended up being good for the Rachel character, so they've earned some trust from me on this. 

• Love 2

Skinny little men should not do almost "love scenes."  Yuk.

Harvey paid the man who was blamed for the mining accident more than the owner had paid for his silence... is that not messing (also called illegal) wiith a witness?

Skinny little men should not do almost "love scenes."  Yuk.

Harvey paid the man who was blamed for the mining accident more than the owner had paid for his silence... is that not messing (also called illegal) wiith a witness?

He wasn't a witness in a trial, so it isn't witness tampering.

• Love 1

That's right Bros402 - he was a scapegoat for  the accident - yes?  So let's play the game.  Harvey forced Evan to drop the charge of illegally obtaining documents.    Without Evan's claim the D.A. can't go forward because the clerk involved won't testify as requested.  Hoping I'm right to this point.

Why can't Harvey come back again in the original lawsuit for negligence on the part of the company using the statement of the  accused train conductor?  I'd take Evan out of the deal on this situation because she could not state that she paid the clerk off. Could he force the court to have the damaging document produced in another way?  If it is a civil case - not criminal  - would the "Fruit of the poisonous tree"  even be applied?

See I want to see Donna go down for the very same reason Mike needs to go down. They are both so arrogant, Entilted and above it all that they really believe their ish doesn't stink.

Funny, but the Miss "I'm Donna" Brenda Badass routine was nowhere on display once Donna realized she might actually be called on the carpet for the crap she does. No little Miss Contrite was in the building, just like the last time her BS blew up in her face, and surprise, surprise, once she thought she was free and clear, her arrogant strut returns.

I am all but done with this show at this point because it's one thing to have some gray characters, it's one thing to have some shady characters, but when all your characters are shitty, why exactly should I care and watch, let alone care to watch. And I say this as someone who still loves Jessica and Luis for the most part.

Speaking of Jessica, why is the horrendous DBW still there. The. Writers blew the perfect opportunity to dump his whiney, jackass of a character, which he couldn't sell, cause let's face it, dude is acting challenged. Can't they find someone worthy of the amazing Gina Torres to play her love interest?

• Love 3

I'm one that wishes Jessica would trip and fall!  Never liked her - too much of a chip on her shoulder.  The character - that I can remember - has done anything for anyone else unless it benefits her.  Talk about strutting!  I actually believe she (the character) does a disservice to the African American woman with her attitude of me, me, me.

If we do have strong feelings about the characters though it must mean there is good writing.  We're not suppose to love them all.

• Love 1
Speaking of Jessica, why is the horrendous DBW still there. The. Writers blew the perfect opportunity to dump his whiney, jackass of a character, which he couldn't sell, cause let's face it, dude is acting challenged. Can't they find someone worthy of the amazing Gina Torres to play her love interest?

Heh, he'll be welcomed back on Single Ladies where pretty much the entire cast is acting challenged. He looks like a master thespian on that show. As far as GT is concerned, I imagine they don't want to pair her with someone who might outshine her since she's one of the show's stars. It'd be interesting though if they got her husband to do a cameo.

I'm one that wishes Jessica would trip and fall!  Never liked her - too much of a chip on her shoulder.  The character - that I can remember - has done anything for anyone else unless it benefits her.  Talk about strutting!  I actually believe she (the character) does a disservice to the African American woman with her attitude of me, me, me.

Not sure I understand what Jessica's race has to with it, or why her (perhaps justifiably) looking after her own interests reflects badly on tens of millions of other African American women. Is Donna expected to be a standard-bearer for redheaded women, or Louis one for White men?

• Love 4
(edited)

I was so happy when they finally got away from all the "We've got a secret" stuff and the "Louis gets revenge"  stuff, and actually had a case.  But then the case lasts over one episode and it has more stops and starts to it than subway train, then it turns out that the case was only the basis for the real case - Donna's.  And, once again, the only way to win the case is to do something illegal or force someone else to do something illegal.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I remember the first few seasons having real cases that were won without resorting to anything illegal (sometimes unconventional, sometimes unbelievable, but still legal).  Maybe I was just distracted by a bunch of good looking people wearing nice clothes and saying witty things that I didn't realize that they were always a bunch of lawbreakers blackmailing each other. 

He's still there?  I thought he turned in his resignation at the end - so no more being in the office. And I thought he said they had to do both - work together and be romantically involved  - no more boyfriend role either.  Hmm, maybe I should postpone the celebration until I know for sure that he is gone for good.  

Edited by needschocolate

Okay Suits, I want my Laurence Fishburne and Rick Hoffman scenes, and I want them soon.  Hoffman brings out the best of everyone on the show, and Fishburne is great, those scenes would be amazing.

Wasn't a big fan of this episode.  Donna gets away with committing a felony, fantastic.  I said it last week, and I'll say it again, this show has to end with the firm crashing down.

Okay Suits, I want my Laurence Fishburne and Rick Hoffman scenes, and I want them soon.  Hoffman brings out the best of everyone on the show, and Fishburne is great, those scenes would be amazing.

Wasn't a big fan of this episode.  Donna gets away with committing a felony, fantastic.  I said it last week, and I'll say it again, this show has to end with the firm crashing down.

Fishburne is (I think) busy with Black-ish.

Fishburne is (I think) busy with Black-ish.

I watch Black-ish and he only appeared every other episode or so.  That was a weird arrangement.

As for Suits, I was actually rooting for Evans to take Harvey, Mike, and Donna down a peg or two.  Also, she now knows that Donna is Harvey's weak point (because HE said so.. how dumb was that ? )

I watch Black-ish and he only appeared every other episode or so.  That was a weird arrangement.

As for Suits, I was actually rooting for Evans to take Harvey, Mike, and Donna down a peg or two.  Also, she now knows that Donna is Harvey's weak point (because HE said so.. how dumb was that ? )

Maybe he's busy with Hannibal (I haven't read any S3 news aside from that is coming out in the summer, so I don't know if his contract got renewed for that)?

I don't know, I binge-watched the 4th season yesterday (sick at home). And though I found most of the episodes lacking, this one was quite fine in my opinion.

Perhaps it's because I actually like Donna and Donna+Harvey. Perhaps I'm just a silly old romantic at heart.

Perhaps at this point the whole premise of the show became so riddiculous that an episode ot revolving around Mike and his problems is a relief for me? I don't know.

But this episode was really much better for me than the previous 14.

• Love 1

I'm one that wishes Jessica would trip and fall!  Never liked her - too much of a chip on her shoulder.  The character - that I can remember - has done anything for anyone else unless it benefits her.  Talk about strutting!  I actually believe she (the character) does a disservice to the African American woman with her attitude of me, me, me.

To be fair, if you are looking for characters who are selfless, you are probably watching the wrong show.

The only character who I would say ever did something for someone else without benefit to him or her is maybe Mike. And that depends on how you define your terms. He did such things as buy his grandmother an apartment, for instance, but that isn't selfless. He also stands up for various little guys, but not exactly in a selfless way. In fact, there have been times when he has let his own self-interest or selfish vision of things interfere with what is best for his client, such as settling a case for the top of the authorized range when he could have tried to make a lower offer, and trying to get one of his clients prosecuted.

• Love 2

How dare that mean prosecutor try and convict someone who committed a felony. <sarcasm>

Harvey is so self righteous he seems to forget that criminal prosecutors try and convict people who are caught committing crimes and not everything is about HIM.

GODDAMN IT. This show used to be fun and entertaining and now it's just Harvey being cranky that other lawyers try and do their jobs or being annoyed or dismissive of his underlings. Harvey would make a terrible boss.

On ‎26‎.‎2‎.‎2015 at 6:26 PM, Curious5 said:

II'd rather have someone say they love me than "in love with me"  In love sounds a bit temporary. 

Yes, but one can love somebody also in a non-romantically way.

BTV, I think that "I love you" are the most overvalued words in the world. I mean, when somebody says them to the other in the movies or in the show, that other as well as the audience are supposed to believe that they are true and mean "I am faithful to you", "I would make anything to you" etc, as if those words aren't the oldest trick to get the other give sex or money etc.

Also, in this show somebody says to the other "I love you", the other is supposed to tell not only own secrets but also other people's secret and the firm's secret. But what happens when relationship ends? Scottie demanded to know Harvey's secret and he did tell her in the end about Mike - what if Scottie's next boyfriend demands that she tells him "all"?