Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E15: What Do You Do?

WendyCR72
  • Start Topic

Burgess begins to regret her recent decision to stay on the beat. While at a convenience store she sees some suspicious activity and pursues it without calling in for backup. It’s a slow day In Intelligence as they spend their time receiving taser certification.

Ok, Burgess, very bravely done and nice that you saved your partner and all.

But next time, CALL FOR BACKUP INSTEAD OF RUNNING IN ALONE AND UNARMED WITHOUT TELLING ANYONE!

I was mentally screaming the entire time that this could have been avoided if she had just run back to her car so that other police could have arrived minutes earlier.

• Love 9

Burgess is lowkey the worst police officer ever. If you think you saw a man with a gun, call it in! She doesn't, precipitating all this foolishness.

Had she waited for backup, tall asian, Aubrey, Aubrey's cousin and even that trash ass murderer would still be alive.

• Love 4

The acting during the breakdown scene in the locker-room was great so was some of the banter between Roman and Burgess. Sadly none of this makes up for the stupidity of running unarmed into that building. Can't believe nobody called her out on that. Shades of Dawson.

Edited by MissLucas
  • Love 3

Seriously, call for back up.

After the first time it look liked they would get out but another bad guy would show up I yelled SERIOUSLY at the tv.

The taser stuff was pretty funny.

Edited by redsox7819
  • Love 2

Yes, seriously, call for back-up.

I think why no one called Burgess out about it was because she realized on her own that she screwed up. She apologized to Roman about it. Doesn't change that she should've called it in but I'm glad she at least was written to have  self-awareness about how she screwed up and was wrong in not calling for back-up. 

Good acting in the locker room breakdown scenes.

The taser training was funny. Nice balance between the intensity of the warehouse scenes and the levity in Intelligence. 

• Love 3

There's not a cop in this world who doesn't also carry a personal firearm in an ankle holster in addition to their service weapon. (And who also doesn't call for backup before running into a building, but I digress...)

Agree, I was first waiting for the bad guy to demand their secondary weapon and then expecting one or both of them to use it but ... nothing!  Thankfully, Burgess retained the knife.  Hallelujah!  Now, go get properly kitted up, dummies!

Couldn't believe she declined when Sean properly suggested they call it in, especially after being shot - even though her shooting situation was something of a fluke.  That is, knocking on a random door, hit by a booby trap.  Seems like you'd remember to stand to the side next time and be extra careful WRT police procedures, in general.

So, how long must peace officers be missing in Chicago before someone follows up???  They did the same thing on CF - the ambo team was missing for at least several hours, kidnapped, before anyone said a word.

Was surprised Ruzak didn't go after her even sooner but happy Hank wisely brought everyone along.

Agree, no need to mention her f-up b/c she knew it.  If nothing else, perhaps she'll receive and accept another assignment.  Was very concerned about her physical size, taking on the bad guys but she held her own.

Too funny, redsox7189 - we were yelling at the TV, too.  How many more smugglers were going to crawl out from under a rock, demanding those Huggies (?) or whatever it was!

Nice try with the radio call about cops in the building, however.

And, most importantly, Hank finally admitted his f-up with CF.  Yep, you deserved it Voight - and then some!  Perhaps they tie up those loose ends, for good.

• Love 1

I think why no one called Burgess out about it was because she realized on her own that she screwed up. She apologized to Roman about it. Doesn't change that she should've called it in but I'm glad she at least was written to have  self-awareness about how she screwed up and was wrong in not calling for back-up. 

I love Burgess/Ruzek, and I liked Kim well enough on her own, but two things are shaping her into one of my favorite characters. Her self-awareness, as you said, first. She knows when she screws up, it was clear that she expected Platt to scold her for her mistake. Second, the fact that she's growing up and maturing -or at least for now, she's allowed to. When she didn't get Intelligence in S1, I found her reaction a bit childish/bitchy...contrast with her refusal of Voight's offer. If she ever goes to Intelligence, I hope it won't be "just because", just to make it big, but because she thinks she can be more useful. But I kind of hope she stays on the beat. I like how she's slowly realizing where her place is, who she is as a cop...since she changed careers, she's the right character for such an arc. Of course,  you never know when the writers will do a plot-driven 180 with the character (as I think they often do on the Chicago franchise) so I keep my fingers crossed.

I don't think that she's like Dawson. I don't hate Gabby, I often like her, even, but there's no denying that she has a gigantic chip on her shoulder, and I think that indeed, she's written as a Mary-Sue on the professional level. Burgess isn't abrasive nor self-righteous, she isn't written as the Best Cop Evah, when she makes mistakes they are presented as mistakes and she owns them. The only thing close to a Dawson situation was Voight's random offer, but considering the flimsy argumentation supporting it ("I made an exception for Burgess because she was shot"? I have to say that I rolled my eyes at that line) I think it was made solely in order to illustrate Burgess' evolution and was never meant to be accepted.

I liked Roman for the first time. I loved the "not in love with me" scene, and I hope it means the issue is tackled for good. Of course, I don't think that Burgess and Roman have this kind of chemistry, but for the first time I thought they could make really good, platonic friends. And a love triangle is the last thing I want.

I can't believe I came to love Voight as much as I do. Papa Bear Voight is my favorite.

I'd have taken more Olinsky, Antonio, Erin-as-a-cop, and Nadia, but all in all it was a good episode, and I've enjoyed the show more lately than I did last fall.

It almost, but not quite, compensates for having to skip most of my beloved Erin's scenes (Halstead is to me what Dawson is to many here). I try, but I just can't. Sigh.

Very few cops I know carry secondary guns. Many departments don't allow it, and being caught with it would be huge trouble. But there were a few things that were so unrealistic they just showed that the writers have no actual cops on staff.

The taser, while mildly amusing, was nothing like real training. Cops use projectile prong tasers, and are shot with them. In gyms/workout rooms with mats down for safety, and two people holding their arms so they don't get hurt falling. Because you will fall and you will not be able to brace yourself. You get tased in training in the back, not in the groin, or abs. Backs are the safest. Just so wrong. Though actual taser training is usually taped and the tapes are awesome!

Then the scene where the first gunman makes them hand over the guns and radios. Aside from the fact that his hesitation between the two of them was their change to try to do something, when he's uncertain and swiveling between them, it just isn't possible to take off a police gun belt by unbuckling the belt buckles. There are too many things on a duty belt for them to even remotely stay up without supports. There's a regular belt through the belt loops on the pants, and then the duty belt is secured with a number of leather straps that snap around both belts all the way around to keep the belt up. You have to unsnap them all, usually a half dozen or so, to get the belt off. If they were just handing over guns and radios, much easier to just unholster and unhook and hand off those items. Also leaving Burgess and Roman with cuffs, OC spray, batons, extra clips, and a variety of other items to use against their captors.

I was also yelling at Burgess when she was running around after Roman was taken inside to USE HER CELL PHONE! No idea where they think her cell went, but even if she doesn't have a departmental phone (and big agencies often don't), her personal cell should have been on her, and she could have called 911 or the station for help on it when she was running around looking for a way in.

I like Burgess, but I feel like she gets the idiot stick hitting her on the head too often to make things more dramatic. I did like her conversation with Audrey (Aubry?) though, about what's wrong with Chicago. Some good points made and realistic.

I was also yelling at Burgess when she was running around after Roman was taken inside to USE HER CELL PHONE! No idea where they think her cell went, but even if she doesn't have a departmental phone (and big agencies often don't), her personal cell should have been on her, and she could have called 911 or the station for help on it when she was running around looking for a way in.

I like Burgess, but I feel like she gets the idiot stick hitting her on the head too often to make things more dramatic. I did like her conversation with Audrey (Aubry?) though, about what's wrong with Chicago. Some good points made and realistic.

Yea the whole time Burgess seemed really stupid. Like others have said, after Roman is taken run your ass back to the car, get on the radio and call for back up. Plus don't most cop cars usually have a shotgun in them, if you don't want to call it in at least go get that .The fact that the commander commended her made it even worse.

• Love 4

I love Burgess/Ruzek, and I liked Kim well enough on her own, but two things are shaping her into one of my favorite characters

This is what I love about these boards we get to hear how others view the show and the characters. See for me I am on the total opposite side of the spectrum when it comes to Burgess. Burgess and Ruzek also. The writing to me has been so heavy handed about how much they love each other, I just don't see or feel it between them as a couple. Just as I feel like we have had too many episodes lately where they are shoving it down my throat how brave Burgess is, what a great cop she is, it is actually making me dislike her character even more. I get "One Tree Hill" flashbacks of Peyton and Peyton/Lucas. On a positive note I like Roman more after this epidode.

This is what I love about these boards we get to hear how others view the show and the characters.

Absolutely. Contrary to popular belief that we're "just jellus meanies" with our gender, this woman doesn't enjoy when she hates female characters. So I feel lucky that I at least like (Dawson, Platt) and mostly love all of them on CF and CPD. It's a big perk for me and a very big reason why I'm sticking to the franchise.

As for Ruzek and Burgess, I've seen them develop a friendship first, and then become attracted to each other; so I saw it happen and it makes sense to me. And I love that they're still friends, talk to each other, care for each other. I love that they're more than "just" romantic, and the locker room scene, in this episode, was a perfect example of why they work for me. I often complain that characters suddenly change when they get together, or if their relationship takes a romantic turn (the dreaded, angsty  will they-won't they, followed by the dreaded, angsty on-and-off); it's as if they become each other's enemy. I was afraid the Intelligence thing would do this to Burgess and Ruzek and I'm so glad that they're getting closer instead.

I don't like when couples are written as miserable and toxic, and actually don't even like each other, but it's called "passion", as it happens too often on TV.  Oh, not trying to convince anyone, of course. I just count my blessings and enjoy it while it lasts!

Burgess and Ruzek are supposed to have their first fight next episode, from what I've read, and I hope it won't be drama for the sake of it

Absolutely. Contrary to popular belief that we're "just jellus meanies" with our gender, this woman doesn't enjoy when she hates female characters. So I feel lucky that I at least like (Dawson, Platt) and mostly love all of them on CF and CPD. It's a big perk for me and a very big reason why I'm sticking to the franchise.

As for Ruzek and Burgess, I've seen them develop a friendship first, and then become attracted to each other; so I saw it happen and it makes sense to me. And I love that they're still friends, talk to each other, care for each other. I love that they're more than "just" romantic, and the locker room scene, in this episode, was a perfect example of why they work for me. I often complain that characters suddenly change when they get together, or if their relationship takes a romantic turn (the dreaded, angsty  will they-won't they, followed by the dreaded, angsty on-and-off); it's as if they become each other's enemy. I was afraid the Intelligence thing would do this to Burgess and Ruzek and I'm so glad that they're getting closer instead.

I don't like when couples are written as miserable and toxic, and actually don't even like each other, but it's called "passion", as it happens too often on TV.  Oh, not trying to convince anyone, of course. I just count my blessings and enjoy it while it lasts!

I feel the same way about how many television shows portray female characters are their romantic relationshIps. Many times even if we get a strong, likeable character she meets a guy and then it's character assassination time. The turn the character and relationship into something clichéd and cringe worthy. I hope your spoiler isn't just for ridiculous drama. Where the writers are like we need to fill up some extra time in the episode so we will go this route for no good reason and have it make no sense. Guess we will find out soon enough.

This is what I love about these boards we get to hear how others view the show and the characters. See for me I am on the total opposite side of the spectrum when it comes to Burgess. Burgess and Ruzek also. The writing to me has been so heavy handed about how much they love each other, I just don't see or feel it between them as a couple. Just as I feel like we have had too many episodes lately where they are shoving it down my throat how brave Burgess is, what a great cop she is, it is actually making me dislike her character even more. 

For the most part Burgess and Ruzek are ok with me, but anytime they talk about work together (especially after her shooting or anything bad happens to her) he always comes across as so condescending. I mean I know it is usually him trying to comfort her but it always sounds like he is some experienced older cop who has seen everything and is telling her she doesn't need to worry. But to me that doesn't work because she had been a cop longer than he has.

One thing I did like about the episode was during the tazer training Voight made the comments about how they are not typically the type of unit that uses non-leatal weapons.

For the most part Burgess and Ruzek are ok with me, but anytime they talk about work together (especially after her shooting or anything bad happens to her) he always comes across as so condescending. I mean I know it is usually him trying to comfort her but it always sounds like he is some experienced older cop who has seen everything and is telling her she doesn't need to worry. But to me that doesn't work because she had been a cop longer than he has.

One thing I did like about the episode was during the tazer training Voight made the comments about how they are not typically the type of unit that uses non-leatal weapons.

I also find that annoying about Ruzek, I am sure he is trying to comfort Burgess or just show his concern for her safety. It totally comes across as she is an inexperienced, incompetent woman who couldn't possible be a better cop or just as good as him. Maybe it's just the way I see Ruzek but he just comes off as a smug know it all.

I also loved Voight's line about the tasers. He is totally a shoot you/beat you half to death first ask questions later cop!

I also find that annoying about Ruzek, I am sure he is trying to comfort Burgess or just show his concern for her safety. It totally comes across as she is an inexperienced, incompetent woman who couldn't possible be a better cop or just as good as him. Maybe it's just the way I see Ruzek but he just comes off as a smug know it all.

This rings so true, especially since he's been a cop for, like, five minutes of life. Isn't he just out of the academy? I thought he was the lucky snowflake who was pulled into Intelligence, as a cadet, for some undercover thing, and he just kind of...what? Stayed? Did we ever get some kind of indication that he graduated the academy? Burgess, OTOH, has been a cop "a few years," as she mentioned to Aubrey. Why are they portrayed with seemingly opposite levels of experience?

• Love 1

This rings so true, especially since he's been a cop for, like, five minutes of life. Isn't he just out of the academy? I thought he was the lucky snowflake who was pulled into Intelligence, as a cadet, for some undercover thing, and he just kind of...what? Stayed? Did we ever get some kind of indication that he graduated the academy? Burgess, OTOH, has been a cop "a few years," as she mentioned to Aubrey. Why are they portrayed with seemingly opposite levels of experience?

Based on the way he talks to her sometimes, you would think she was dating Olinsky. Although that would probably be a little more interesting.

• Love 1

After Burgess confirms her birth date is as 88 to Roman, does he say that he was 89? That would make him... 26?

The scene where all the officers applause for Burgess had serious shades of Gabby Dawson and that is not a compliment. I'm already dreading the inevitable "Roman falls in love with Burgess plot" even though I think I'd ship them more then I do Ruzek/Burgess.

Overall though a great episode. I think Roman has been a great addition to the show and made the patrol side of things a lot more interesting.

Edited by Chas411

After Burgess confirms her birth date is as 88 to Roman, does he say that he was 89? That would make him... 26?

Burgess has serious shades of Gabby Dawson and that is not a compliment. I'm already dreading the inevitable "Roman falls in love with Burgess plot" even though I think I'd ship them more then I do Ruzek/Burgess.

If Roman is 26, how many years has he been a cop I wonder. I would love to see a scene where Ruzek tries to talk down to him and gets reminded that he was working the beat when Ruzek was still in high school.

I think that Burgess handled the situation fine once she was being held herself but all of that would have been avoided if she'd just called it in before going to the door.  It's admirable that Roman and everyone else are choosing to not blame her but the fact is that Roman at least was seriously injured because of her recklessness.  And I thought she understood that, as she was clearly expecting everyone to start reaming her out when she returned to the station, but her smile at the end when that marketing guy asked after her profession seems to suggest otherwise.  It came across as meaning "I'm a damn good cop" which was not at all the case in this episode.  If the episode was set up so that the cashier of the mini mart had called the cops about suspicious activity across the street, Burgess and Roman go to check it out, are quickly and efficiently taken hostage, and then the events of the episode ensue, then I'd say that her smile at the end would have some justification to it.  But, again, the only reason that they were taken hostage, and Roman seriously hurt, was because she chose to not follow police procedure.  No matter how aware she is of that colossal fuck up, she needs to be reprimanded, even if it's just the commander calling her into his office to yell at her privately.  When I've made major mistakes at jobs, my bosses pulled me aside and told me so immediately, even though they knew that I was perfectly aware of what I did wrong and my mistakes weren't putting the well being of others at risk.  Yet Burgess was congratulated on a job well done and left believing that her actions were correct when they weren't.

On a lighter note, I did enjoy the Taser certification scenes, and Jay trying to sell Erin on the vacation cabin in Wisconsin.  The levity helped keep my irritation with Burgess' story in check. 

Very few cops I know carry secondary guns. Many departments don't allow it, and being caught with it would be huge trouble. But there were a few things that were so unrealistic they just showed that the writers have no actual cops on staff.

The taser, while mildly amusing, was nothing like real training. Cops use projectile prong tasers, and are shot with them. In gyms/workout rooms with mats down for safety, and two people holding their arms so they don't get hurt falling. Because you will fall and you will not be able to brace yourself. You get tased in training in the back, not in the groin, or abs. Backs are the safest. Just so wrong. Though actual taser training is usually taped and the tapes are awesome!

Then the scene where the first gunman makes them hand over the guns and radios. Aside from the fact that his hesitation between the two of them was their change to try to do something, when he's uncertain and swiveling between them, it just isn't possible to take off a police gun belt by unbuckling the belt buckles. There are too many things on a duty belt for them to even remotely stay up without supports. There's a regular belt through the belt loops on the pants, and then the duty belt is secured with a number of leather straps that snap around both belts all the way around to keep the belt up. You have to unsnap them all, usually a half dozen or so, to get the belt off. If they were just handing over guns and radios, much easier to just unholster and unhook and hand off those items. Also leaving Burgess and Roman with cuffs, OC spray, batons, extra clips, and a variety of other items to use against their captors.

Thanks for the reminder about secondary guns.  I believe many viewers might expect one b/c we're used to Intelligence/Voight breaking/bending/ignoring the rules.  I was curious about the other tools, e.g. the baton, too.

Good points about the taser class and duty belt but it'd surprise me very much if they don't have a law enforcement advisor on this show.  Not b/c CPD's accurate but thought most procedural dramas routinely consult with professionals.  IIRC, it's typically reflected in the credits. 

In any event, even with an advisor, IMHO, the taser class (for levity) and belt removal (episodic length) would have been shot the same way.  Agree, seems like they could have escaped the situation during that hesitation. 

I wondered about Burgess' personal cell during the entire episode, too.  Ruzek was texting her.  I was hoping she had it on silent and expected her to surreptitiously hit a panic button or something.  "Come on Burgess", I yelled at her during the entire episode!

Agree, scarynikki12 - I was flabbergasted that Burgess didn't follow procedures and call for backup immediately, before they approached, after seeing the probable gun.  A cop who was just shot in the lod, no less - WTF!

Edited by aguabella

As someone who grew up with Dragnet, Adam-12 and Emergency! I quickly became accustomed to actual procedures being used in a procedural. Since that kind of film making no longer exists and we're stuck with hyper-sexualized hot guys and gals with badges and guns (or hoses and axes), I guess I just have to roll with it and say that I can understand the storyline of putting the pair in danger, and if they followed procedure it wouldn't have unfolded as it did, and they needed a character-building episode for Burgess.

Yes, most coppers have backup pieces, a second cellphone and radios that have emergency "man down" buttons on them that if you surreptitiously press it at the first hint of danger All Hell Breaks Loose at the other end of the line. Cops are also taught hand-to-hand combat so that first scene at the door when confronted with the gun-weilder, two cops against one gun in close quarters--with both cops wearing vests, there's a good chance the perp loses the gun in a half a second.