Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Let's Chew the Fat

Lisin

Here's your place for small talk and introductions!

If you (collectively) would like to change the name of the Small Talk thread jokey bit just figure it out amongst yourselves and then email david@previously.tv and he'll change it.

The Small Talk topic is for:

• Introductions
  • Off-topic chatter
  • Having virtual tea with forum buddies

This is NOT a topic for actual show discussion. When you want to talk about the show:
  1. Figure out the nature of the topic you want to talk about
  2. Look for an existing topic that matches or fits
  3. If there is NOT an existing topic that fits, CREATE ONE!

Examples of topics that populate show forums include (but by no means are limited to):

• Character topics
  • Episode topics
  • Season topics
  • Spoiler topics
  • Speculation topics
  • In the Media topics
  • Favourite X topics
  • ...you get the idea

Happy trails beyond Small Talk!

I never engaged in the Hannibal thread at that other site, but I figured I would jump into the fray here.  Hello!

I became impatient with the show in the first season, so stopped watching before the season finale.  However, before season 2 began airing, I figured I would give it another chance.  Once I let go of the idea that it should follow the books exactly, but instead mirror them in many ways, I enjoyed the first season immensely.  As I did season 2.

• Love 1

This is why I've been wary about reading the books. I don't want the story to cloud my enjoyment of Hannibal. Or as I believe the case will be, for Hannibal to cloud my enjoyment of the books. I think I'd be let down because from what I gather, the books don't portray the Will and Hannibal dynaminc as intensely as the show does.

(edited)

I'm reading Red Dragon now and compared to the show it is a let-down, mainly because the book has one glaring fundamental flaw - Will is supposed to have pure empathy but he isn't particularly empathetic to anyone who isn't his boss (Jack) or a serial killer he is or had been involved with (Lecter, Dolarhyde).  He's especially dickish to his wife and step-son and regards the female crime victims pretty much as property of their husbands.  I don't know much about the author but from what little I've been able to glean I'm not surprised he'd have a problem with women and others he sees as having a lower social status (children, elderly, the sick and vulnerable), and unfortunately it's reflected in his writing.

I won't be reading any more of Harris's books.

Edited by GreyBunny
  • Love 3

I've read all the books, and the tv show definitely presents the story differently but I still liked the books because it gives watching the show some structure for me--I feel like I am seeing a very elegant, deeply detailed version of things that have only been dealt with very quickly in the books or previous movies.  
For me I am preferring the tv show, but it is a totally different experience than reading the books or watching earlier movie versions.

• Love 1
(edited)

One of the problems with reading Red Dragon is that it was published in 1981 -- which means it falls in line with certain viewpoints at the time.  Margot was changed because Bryan Fuller didn't want to portray her in the same way that Thomas Harris did in Hannibal (again, when Harris created Margot as an adult, her characterization fell in line with certain viewpoints).

(Will) regards the female crime victims pretty much as property of their husbands.

Only because that's the way the killer viewed them, IMO.  But mileage varies.

Edited by Demented Daisy
  • Love 3

I was around in 1981 and even for 1981 some of Harris's viewpoints were archaic.  When Will was looking at a crime scene, he thinks he needs to learn about the husband as a way of asking permission to look at his wife, like she's an object or a possession.  Those are Will's own thoughts and POV, not the killer's.  And that's just one example.  For me, I expect someone who is supposed to be empathetic - and is singled out as being exceptionally empathetic - to be able to see things from the woman's or child's point of view regardless of what year it is, not callously dismiss or ignore what they're going through. 

• Love 3
For me, I expect someone who is supposed to be empathetic - and is singled out as being exceptionally empathetic - to be able to see things from the woman's or child's point of view regardless of what year it is, not callously dismiss or ignore what they're going through.

I don't remember Will ignoring what anyone was going through.  I'll re-read before continuing the conversation, if that's all right. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I read the book too and I had similar complaints about the way Will was characterised in the book.  At least the film and the TV show correct those defects.

It think this essay lays the problem out very well.  Just scroll down past the stuff at the top and start at where "I wanted to like Will Graham" is in bold beneath the photos.

http://www.anamardoll.com/2013/06/film-corner-will-graham-is-raging.html

Edited by Nordri
  • Love 2

Because these aren't as easy to find as they should be, here are links to all the scripts for Seasons 1 & 2 from Bryan Fuller's http://livingdeadguy.com/ website. They go straight to the PDFs themselves, so your browser will do whatever you set it to do for a PDF. :-) If there's an error, or if this is against site rules for some reason, let me know and I'll edit (or remove) the post as necessary.

Season 1

Apéritif
    Amuse-Bouche
    Potage
    Oeuf
    Coquilles
    Entrée
    Sorbet
    Fromage
    Trou normand
    Buffet Froid
    Rôti
    Relevés
    Savoureux

Season 2

Kaiseki
    Sakizuke
    Hassun
    Takiawase
    Mukōzuke
    Futamono
    Yakimono
    Su-zakana
    Shiizakana
    Naka-choko
    Kō No Mono
    Tome-wan
    Mizumono

• Love 5

Season 2 is on Amazon Prime.  And I suspect Hulu.  I can't get my friends to watch either.  They think they know the story!  Not the way Bryan Fuller tells it. Or the way Mads plays it. 

I have noticed more women enjoying this show.  I think it's because the show is focused on a central relationship (I would say romance, but mileage varies for other people).  Watching Will and Hannibal circle around each other with Jack as some bizarro matchmaker/go-between is just so delicious. 

And then all the side characters are so well cast for the most part.  I loved Margot and I love Freddie (as annoying as she is most of the time) and they had a great Mason (I think they needed to recast him this year, but I have great hopes).  In short, this is such a great show from top to bottom.  And I suspect they have the most fun making it.  The crews' obvious joy at being able to squick us out and still keep a network rating is delightful.

I think it helps too that they only need to do 13 episodes.  It's just the perfect number.  Seven eps to build one storyline and 7 to build another over the season.  Two story arcs more or less keeps me coming back.  I love it.

• Love 3

Season 2 is on Amazon Prime.  And I suspect Hulu.  I can't get my friends to watch either.  They think they know the story!  Not the way Bryan Fuller tells it. Or the way Mads plays it. 

Only the last three episodes of S2 are currently on Hulu, but I don't have Hulu Plus, so maybe they're available if one does?

I was a Will fan, as soon as he helped the stray dog, at the beginning of the first episode. I read something from one of the actors, saying that they would probably all be killed off, before anything happened to the dogs. 

• Love 5

I'm such a sucker for dogs. And they aren't just window dressing, they really earn their place on this show, giving poor Will something to connect to and reacting to all the random, awful stuff that happens at Wolfs Trap. When Buster went after Randall Tier, it was such a tense moment for me. With this kind of show, any person could die eventually, so you're sorta prepared, but losing one of the dogs to violence would break my heart.

• Love 4

I searched and there isn't ANY Hannibal on Hulu Plus. I'm going to assume that episode 3:1 will be put on there sometime soon but there is no past episodes.

That's so weird, I looked before I posted and there was three episodes and now the entire Hannibal page is gone. Looks like one can watch the last three of S2 on the NBC website though (and the S3 premiere too): http://www.nbc.com/hannibal

It's probably some weird deal between NBC and Amazon and Hulu gets temporary rights?  Because you can buy the season 3 ep on Amazon now.  I did that for Broadchurch because I just couldn't wait. 

Speaking of that, I can't believe David Tennant was almost Will.  I mean, I think he's capable, but I don't think he would have the same vulnerability Hugh Dancy brings to Will.  And he's smaller than Mads which just makes him seem all that much more in jeopardy. 

I read David Tennant was up for the role of Hannibal, which I can't really see. At all. Although I'd love it if he were on the show in the future. My poor fangirl heart would explode after I screamed like a little girl!

• Love 1

I'm having trouble picturing anyone else in the roles, because they work so well together. I wonder who they would have picked for Hannibal, had Hugh not recommended Mads. I wasn't familiar with him before Hannibal.

• Love 1
(edited)

It's very hard to imagine another Hannibal.  He's so "foreign" in the best sense.  His brother who is also an actor has the same quality (he was on Sherlock last season).  But I've seen Mads in Swedish films and he plays very normal.  Like a Viggo.  

I was rewatching the first episode and Will says to Hannibal that he doesn't find him all that interesting.  He's utterly dismissive and almost rude.  And then in Season 2 he pours on the charm and teases Hannibal that he doesn't want to kill him now that he finally finds him interesting.  I love a show that can go more than 10 eps between conversations and do a one-line callback.   

Can't wait to see Will next week!

Edited by jeansheridan
  • Love 3

All of my dreams, this morning, had me either living with Hannibal somehow or being a part of the production. Odd. Nobody died, and I enjoyed most of the dreams. (I would wake up, and go back into them.) The one time I was in danger, had nothing to do with Hannibal - I was in a huge building, like a school or something, that had bathrooms like public toilets, and I was hiding from someone. I thought it was a girl - there was some sort of birthday party going on.

Just finished the very readable Preston and Spezzi's, "The Monster of Florence".  Very interesting.  The incompetent judge (by their estimations) was also part of the Amanda Knox fiasco.

• Love 3

My handle 'Dot Com' is actually the name of one of my cats. My mom wanted him to have a name that started with a D like the other two older cats we had at the time. Seeing as he had a thing for computers I named him Dot Com. Dot turned 17 a few days ago on July 1st. This morning he passed away. RIP sweet Dot. ❤️

• Love 2