Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Let's Chew the Fat

Lisin

My handle 'Dot Com' is actually the name of one of my cats. My mom wanted him to have a name that started with a D like the other two older cats we had at the time. Seeing as he had a thing for computers I named him Dot Com. Dot turned 17 a few days ago on July 1st. This morning he passed away. RIP sweet Dot. ❤

I am ever so sorry, Dot Com - I had 4 old boys who made it to around the same age, and I still miss them fiercely.

I'm so sorry for your loss.  My dog of over 15 years passed last Sunday.

jelaine - my condolences to you, as well.  Losing a beloved companion is the worst pain imaginable.

I am so sorry to hear this news.  I lost a beloved black cat on June 11th.  She was 15.  I understand your sadness.  

:-(

Captanne (O, my Captanne) -  my beloved soulmate also passed in June two years ago  - he was the fourth long time companion in less than 3 1/2 years, and I still mourn.  The first loss was Da Boy, my oldest, and he was as black as a moonless night.

Our animals mean so very much to us all; I am glad there are people here who understand this and allow us to share our delight and our sorrow.

I'm so sorry for all of your losses. :( I have my one dog, Walter, 16, left from his litter of five. I lost them in consecutive years, starting four years ago. I miss them, and others that I've had before, so badly sometimes. They were the best years of my life. 

• Love 1

My oldest cat turns 16 this fall. I think I'll have a Sweet Sixteen party for her. My roommate said, "What do you get a cat?" and I said, "Have all her friends over!" She loves company.

• Love 1

Can we have a thread on book discussion? I'm re-reading "Red Dragon." There are so many purple lines that I didn't even notice in the book because they work fine as narration, but when they're turned into dialogue they're so silly. "Bone arena of your skull," wtf.

You can just start a thread, if you come up with a clever title for it. Do you want to talk about all the books without regard for spoilers, do you just want to have people post horrible quotes from the books, or is it anything book related? I definitely like the idea, however you go about it.

I'm not sure whether I would even enjoy the books if I didn't have the movies and TV show for visuals. I think I might have given up on Red Dragon somewhere around "the bone arena of his skull."

Reading this forum, I'm starting to consider the lot of us akin to the Sherlockians.  We have a central character (debatable whether that's Will Graham or Hannibal or in some later TBD iteration, Clarice Starling), a "sidekick" (again, debatable who is the central character and who is the sidekick) and a whole bucket load of versions of our central storyline.

We have the 80s film, the 90s "blockbuster" (I'd call it "ground breaker"), the '10s series, and all the books.  

Our big difference is that we haven't settled on what is canon and what isn't.  For the Sherlockians (I am one -- card carrying member), we use ACD's stories as the canon.  I don't think this franchise is quite as devoted to Harris' writing.

ETA:  Crossbow, I'm just as sick of "mind palace".  First of all I don't like the term anyway -- in any venue -- and, second of all, I don't really like the way it comes through Mads Mikkelsen's accent.  It sounds all soapy to me -- like, covered in a thin, slimy film.  

Edited by Captanne

I'm a Sherlock fan too (a latecomer actually)!    And I like Happy Valley and Broadchurch (and I still find it fascinating that David Tennant was almost Will Graham).

I have a crap memory, so the idea of a memory palace fascinates me. It works rather well on Sherlock (and I like that it is an effort for him to access it whereas Hannibal just strolls in). 

What other mystery shows do you all like?

Huge Sherlock fan here, and excited it's back tonight, even if it is reruns. I have no problem with the mind palace thing. It lets us see how the characters are thinking/seeing without being bogged down with a lot of needless rhetoric.

I like David Tennant, too, and think his Will Graham would have been top-notch. But then I would have missed the eye candy that is Hugh Dancy, so glad it worked out this way.

I know Steven Moffatt's Sherlock is the most popular version today but I was actually referring to the idea that we're fans of something that was written decades ago that has now been through several different prisms.

The stories of Sherlock Holmes have been through countless productions.

The "Hannibal" franchise has been through two versions of Red Dragon, three more films (SotL, H, H Rising), and now this television series.

The practical similarity is that the stories have now changed depending on what version you're referring to.

The Sherlockians solved this by agreeing that Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's original stories are the ONLY canon.

In the case of Hannibal, I'm not sure that's going to happen.  Enough people are dissatisfied with Harris' written versions and seem to prefer the newer iterations (at least here, that's the case.  Really, only the original characters are Fullers alone.  Any changes he's made to Hannibal or Will Graham or Jack Crawford or Molly are his own.  I think he's changed Alan Bloom quite a bit.  He's changed Freddie Loundes' entire narrative.  I don't know if he got permission from Harris.)

Edited by Captanne

There's a notable shift in tone that goes with the shift in characters.  The books are pulp crime thrillers whereas the series is gothic magical realism.  For some this series will be the only canon, and for others the books will be the only canon.  Fandom manages to keep straight the dozens of well known Sherlock adaptations and the original stories.  I think there's nothing wrong with prefacing comments to say that they relate to the Mikkelsen Hannibal, the Harris Hannibal, the Hopkins Hannibal, or the Cox Hannibal.  Who knows how many other adaptations will be seen, in ten years time for example.

• Love 2

I actually love written magical realism.  I have not enjoyed that part of Hannibal at all.  It's been my least favorite part -- mainly because I don't trust Fuller to balance the magical and the realism.  o_O

• Love 1

I love Clarice Lispecter.  I heard a lecture by her biographer years ago and discovered she lived right next to me while I was growing up.  I've read all her work and, as luck would have it, she is experiencing a bit of a renaissance right now!

Also, for tamer stuff, if you can get a hold of fanfic writer/internet maven Copperbadge's "Nameless" -- it's wonderful.  Best thing he's written, in my opinion.  (He also goes by Sam Starbuck and here is his goodreads link:  http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/2927563.Sam_Starbuck).

For more traditional magical realism, I highly recommend Gabriel Garcia Marquez.

Edited by Captanne
  • Love 2

I love magical realism, but it is hard to find good stuff. I second the Gabriel Garcia Marquez recommendation. I also really like Northern Exposure if you want to look into a magical realism TV series.  

• Love 1

LOL  One of our cats was fascinated by a Nationals baseball player, once.  Anytime Lastings Milledge was on the screen, Divot would leap up on the shelf and get as close to the screen as possible.

I love magical realism, but it is hard to find good stuff. I second the Gabriel Garcia Marquez recommendation. I also really like Northern Exposure if you want to look into a magical realism TV series.  

Huh.  I never thought of Northern Exposure as "magic realism" although I guess I can see it.  I always thought it as the less weird version of Twin Peaks. 

I have tried Marquez, but I'm afraid my brain doesn't work that way.  But I'll try the online person.  Thank you!

• Love 1

Sam Starbuck is wonderful (aka copperbadge.)  He's an all around nice Internet guy (I don't know him personally but through a handful of emails back and forth.)  I loved Nameless.  His other works didn't thrill me as much but they were/are equally well-written.  One in particular, Charitable Giving is an easy read.  He wrote a cyberpunk opus as well which I have yet to get through.

I found him years ago through his fucking brilliant (BRILLIANT) Torchwood* fanfic.

*Torchwood is a short-lived spinoff of Doctor Who -- if you anagram Doctor Who you get the word "Torchwood."  There is a forum here for it.

Edited by Captanne

What amuses me to no end is that several of these little Etsy projects are by the guy folks romanticize.*

*As my young work colleague would say, "Yeah.  [pause]  But no."

Edited by Captanne

I've found a way to watch Hand of God, online (I don't have Prime). I like it so far. I thought I'd mention it for those who were looking for something else to watch. I really wish that Amazon had picked up Hannibal. 

Edited by Anela

Of the ones I've seen so far (I've yet to see the Season 1 finale or most of Season 2), the angel tableau from "Coquilles" struck me as the most artistic, and the human mushroom field from "Amuse-Bouche" was the most shocking. The worst was Dr. Sutcliffe from "Buffet Froid;" that corpse basically looked like something from a Tim Burton horror-comedy.

I'm not sure what I think is the most shocking. I think maybe Beverly, because until we actually saw it, I thought she might be alive. Then there was the judge with his head cut open, I had to look at that a few times to make sure I was really seeing what I thought I was seeing.

The worst was Dr. Sutcliffe from "Buffet Froid;" that corpse basically looked like something from a Tim Burton horror-comedy.

That's what I thought about the Totem Pole guy.