Type keyword(s) to search

The Chew - General Discussion

Lola16
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, biakbiak said:

I think in a week or two it's going to be reruns for the rest of the summer. Sometimes they repackage them into clip shows. 

I could be wrong but I think they sometimes film an extra segment with guest stars and then package those extra segments into a show.  They record and intro/finale and have new recipes so they're technically new shows but their outfits switch a lot.  But maybe I just have a terrible memory and forget recipes.

Then they do repeats for quite a few weeks in August.

• Love 1

I loved Clinton's and Michael's eating the brownie crackers.  They were so funny.  But it worked, I bookmarked the recipe and am going to make it this weekend.

On Monday's show, the store bought french fries and cheese sauce vs home made.  I wanted them to try the store bought fries with the home made cheese sauce.  I think that'd be the winner in terms of time save and flavor.  Yes, home made fries would be better but I don't think to the degree of difference that would be in the cheeses.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, aquarian1 said:

I loved Clinton's and Michael's eating the brownie crackers.  They were so funny.  But it worked, I bookmarked the recipe and am going to make it this weekend.

Yeah, good luck with that. As has happened several times recently, there seems to be a problem with the recipe -- Carla clearly said she was adding baking POWDER on the show, but the printed recipe calls for baking SODA. And the comments under the recipe on the show's website make it even more confusing-- no one seems to have the definitive answer as to which one is correct.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Despite the fact that I enjoy most of her performances I always think I hate Scarlett Johansson and then she gives a charming interview.

Right there with you! ? 

She really was charming. I'm not really sure why I think I dislike her. 

It never fails to amuse me how quickly Carla gets sloshed on alcohol.  When the hosts used to say "noooooo" when it came to giving Carla or coffee, I thought they were being a bit over the top until I saw her drink on the show.

• Love 1

This show has been interrupted so many times in the last few months that I like when they show repeats like today because I missed part of the show when it originally ran and the peanut sauce chicken and swordfish picatta looked good.

• Love 2
On 6/17/2017 at 8:35 PM, imjagain said:

Right there with you! ? 

She really was charming. I'm not really sure why I think I dislike her. 

Me too!  I think it's because she is so beautiful we expect her to be a bitch and then she's not.  I think a developed a girl crush after I heard her speak at the Women's March after the inauguration.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, JayD83 said:

Wow. It looks like they are not going to even talk about Daphne leaving.

That seems so weird, also on her IG Daphne was filming a segment on Rachael Ray today so it makes me even more curious what went down.

6 hours ago, JayD83 said:

Wow. It looks like they are not going to even talk about Daphne leaving.

At first I thought this episode might have been pre-taped since they have done that in the past where the first episode post-break is pre-taped and their "real" first episode is a day or two later.  But nope, they were specific about what they did over break--with pics.

It is weird that they didn't address the elephant in the room.  There have to be people who don't know she's not coming back.  They still might in a later episode.  I don't think any of them have addressed it on social media.  Just Daphne when it was announced. 

• Love 1

Maybe she has a planned appearance in a near future ep and they want to discuss it then.

I am very annoyed with my DVR-ed recording of this ep.  It is horrible!  SKips, sounds cutting in and out, funky picture.  I have no idea what happened.  Weather was good here, too.  But I don't want to watch On Demand and not be able to ffwd commercials.  

18 minutes ago, aquarian1 said:

I am very annoyed with my DVR-ed recording of this ep.  It is horrible!  SKips, sounds cutting in and out, funky picture.  I have no idea what happened.  Weather was good here, too.  But I don't want to watch On Demand and not be able to ffwd commercials.  

That happened to me too!  I thought it was my cable but I'm relieved to know it was just my personal cable but my feed. (We probably have the same feed.)

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 1

I know they do, I'm just saying when setting up the first episode there was nothing to "prompt" it in their heads as something to address.  Whereas if it was Carla (or anyone else) who had left, when they were creating those cards and rundowns it would be top of mind because she wasn't gone a lot last season and it would feel odd enough to remember to address it.

I love this show and enjoy the fab 4, although I am also one of the few who misses Daphne.  I also have realized this week I would love to see another woman added.  Not sure who that should/could be, but it feels very male heavy right now.  The balance feels off, and I'm surprised I feel that way to be honest because I love them all and they have great chemistry.  

• Love 5
4 hours ago, morgan said:

I love this show and enjoy the fab 4, although I am also one of the few who misses Daphne.  I also have realized this week I would love to see another woman added.  Not sure who that should/could be, but it feels very male heavy right now.  The balance feels off, and I'm surprised I feel that way to be honest because I love them all and they have great chemistry.  

I've been thinking along similar lines. It's odd to miss her since she's been MIA so often this year but she brought a sort of lightness to the team (not in season 1 when she had the healthy stick up her butt but since then she relaxed a LOT). The only person I've thought of--and she's committed already to another network so probably no chance--is Gail Simmons. She's been on the show before and has good chemistry with the hosts. Maybe there is another Top Chef alum that would work?

• Love 2

I was thinking Pati Jinich maybe because I have always enjoyed it when she was on.  Or honestly I wouldn't mind someone more like Daphne and Clinton, someone who enjoys cooking but isn't a chef.  Someone who brings more of a "like us" dynamic amidst the other 3 professional chefs.  

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, morgan said:

was thinking Pati Jinich maybe because I have always enjoyed it when she was on

Please no! I can't stand her voice it's not her accent, the tone of her voice drives me absolutely batty.

• Love 2

Just no to Katie Lee.  She's tolerable-ish once a week but Gail is my top choice.  I don't think they need anyone. 

And I don't think they're phoning it in.  Or at least I don't notice a difference in how they're acting. What are they doing that makes you think that?

• Love 1
On 9/8/2017 at 2:13 PM, morgan said:

I was thinking Pati Jinich maybe because I have always enjoyed it when she was on.  Or honestly I wouldn't mind someone more like Daphne and Clinton, someone who enjoys cooking but isn't a chef.  Someone who brings more of a "like us" dynamic amidst the other 3 professional chefs.  

Oh god no. I can't stand Pati Jinich; after the first two times she was on I started fast-forwarding through her segments.

I confess I may do the same. I love Clinton. I love Michael. I love Carla. I could take or leave Daphne and Mario. I just think the show has run its course. My feelings may change the first night I come home from a rotten day at work in need of some happy time though.

Daphne just didn't have the goods and obviously Daddy-O got her the gig. I'm sure Dr. Oz got her a ginormous trust fund so she can just stay home and breed a Dugger-size brood. When you have such a fantastic job in your early 20s, it's absolutely ridiculous to ruin it by pushing out 3 million babies in your 20s. Really, get your professional life going and THEN get the hen yard overrun with lil peckers.

4 minutes ago, orangeiguana said:

Daphne just didn't have the goods and obviously Daddy-O got her the gig. I'm sure Dr. Oz got her a ginormous trust fund so she can just stay home and breed a Dugger-size brood. When you have such a fantastic job in your early 20s, it's absolutely ridiculous to ruin it by pushing out 3 million babies in your 20s. Really, get your professional life going and THEN get the hen yard overrun with lil peckers.

Daphne has been doing tons of different gigs since it was announced she wasn't returning. 

• Love 3
14 hours ago, orangeiguana said:

She's 31. She was 28 when her first child was born. She was approaching 30 when the second one was. She didn't really do it the way you've framed it, above. Since having a family seems to be a priority for Daphne, she's arguably made the best call for the life she wants. Here's an infograph on how female fertility decreases with age.

It seems ABC thought Daphne had the goods or they wouldn't have kept her for 6 seasons. While her famous last name probably did open some doors, particularly for the book deal she had when she was in college, she landed a spot on broadcast network TV show and kept the gig for 6 years, while her father hosts a Sony syndicated series.

I think The Chew will do fine without Daphne, but I miss her in the mix, and agree with whoever said the show would benefit from another woman at the table. I wouldn't like to see either Simmons or Jinich. I don't think either has the right personality.

I would like to see another non-chef foodie. I think the show is really cheap though, and is bound and determined not to replace her. That said, I'm glad they didn't make a quick, ill-considered reflex recast. It will be interesting to see how the ratings are affected over this season. 

I also think having a parent of young children adds something to the show, because Daph thought of and addressed concerns that Mario and Michael haven't thought of in years and Clinton never has. I'm not sure whether Carla's stepson lives with her full-time, but she seldom mentions parenting him, so it seems likely cooking for a small child wasn't something she had to deal with on a daily basis.

Until/unless we hear otherwise, I figure with two children, a third on the way, a book deal, her Food Network job, and her new Facebook Channel, Daphne was probably willing to come back to The Chew, part time, if the price was right. When it wasn't, the parties likely decided to part company. To me, that makes the most sense, considering her departure wasn't mentioned on day 1 and only briefly addressing it on day 2 of season 7.

I think The Chew would have been better served by having Daphne back for a goodbye episode. That that didn't happen is what makes me think she was willing to return part-time and they couldn't come to terms on the money and other particulars. Ah well, I'll miss her and am interested to see what she does next. 

• Love 8

I was surprised Daphne was not back to say good bye. I borrowed her latest cookbook from the library and did not care for any of the recipes. She seemed to be in the "pregnancy/mommy" season which doesn't fit The Chew. I do miss her. She did add something to the group. Maybe in time some guest will make the producers add another female to the mix.

I like Daphne's personality, and I have always enjoyed her on the show, but I don't really miss her in the mix. I think at this point the show is kind of running on its own fumes.  Any of the remaining four could kind of come and go and the feel of the show wouldn't change much for me; I didn't miss Mario when he was gone last week either, although he's never been much of a favorite, so that might have had something to do with that.

Speaking of Mario, though, I can't believe Carla never finished his Christmas scarf!  Kudos to that viewer who sent the finished product in, lol, but if that were me in Carla's shoes I would've been too shamed to even put that on air.

• Love 1