Type keyword(s) to search

The Chew - General Discussion

Lola16
  • Start Topic

I don't miss Mario at all, but I was never much of a fan of his.  He always came off as kind of pretentious to me, and like he always wanted to hog all the attention. That said, a lot of his recipes looked amazing, and he was great at demonstrating them.

I got a kick out of Michael talking about flying to LA to film Iron Chef this weekend.  He's so goofy most of the time it's easy for me to forget that he's not only an Iron Chef, but the one with the best record (at least in America).

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, Nessie said:

I don't miss Mario at all, but I was never much of a fan of his.  He always came off as kind of pretentious to me, and like he always wanted to hog all the attention. That said, a lot of his recipes looked amazing, and he was great at demonstrating them.

I got a kick out of Michael talking about flying to LA to film Iron Chef this weekend.  He's so goofy most of the time it's easy for me to forget that he's not only an Iron Chef, but the one with the best record (at least in America).

I miss Mario.

Glad to hear Michael say he was going to LA to film Iron Chef. Love the show but the ratings have been mediocre, and I was concerned FN might ditch it.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Jaded said:

Why couldn't Michael eat Carla's Easy Tiramisu Cake on Friday? 

He's doing a 30 day anti-inflammatory diet to see what's giving him discomfort/pain. No milk/grain/beans/alcohol and I forget what else. After a month he'll start adding stuff back in to see what triggers whatever was ailing him. One thing he hasn't addressed is if he's feeling better. He did say he is losing weight.

On 1/22/2018 at 7:41 AM, chessiegal said:

He's doing a 30 day anti-inflammatory diet to see what's giving him discomfort/pain. No milk/grain/beans/alcohol and I forget what else. After a month he'll start adding stuff back in to see what triggers whatever was ailing him. One thing he hasn't addressed is if he's feeling better. He did say he is losing weight.

Thanks for the explanation. I was confused and felt bad for him at the same time on Friday because he seemed sad about missing out. I don't watch all the time so it was weird seeing a grown man act that way without knowing what was going on. I really like him though and his laugh always makes me kinda laugh too.

He's definitely said he's feeling better. He was able to flip food in a cast iron pan this week, which he said he could never do without pain before.

Also, I must say that I LOVED the episode Monday with Sharon Stone. I've never been a fan, but she came off wonderfully, IMO.

I felt bad enough for Michael when he couldn't try that bacon dog. Carla and Clinton looked like they tasted heaven. Meanwhile, Michael (literally) poked himself in the eye at the end of the segment. 

It was cute when they played the Electric Company style game with Carla's monogrammed hair. (For people who couldn't watch, the hair person braided her hair behind her left temple into a C-H. Then Clinton wrote "ew" on a card, for "Ch-" "ew" "Chew," and then Michale did "Ch" "icken" for "chicken.")

I do miss Mario. I liked him a lot, but I could never watch him on this show, again. I also miss Daphne. 

• Love 3

I was initially confused tgat Michael couldnt eat it because they talked last week that he was done with his duet but remembered Mondays shoes are pretaped.

I wonder if Daphne's husbamd got a new job because they have been spending most of the psst few months living in her parents Miami house.

Michael is done with the initial 21 Days, but he is introducing foods in slowly and singly so he can figure out his triggers.   So I would expect for the time being to see him still avoiding certain ingredients.  

• Love 1
35 minutes ago, morgan said:

Michael is done with the initial 21 Days, but he is introducing foods in slowly and singly so he can figure out his triggers.   So I would expect for the time being to see him still avoiding certain ingredients.  

They always pretape Monday's and while he might be reintrodicuing foods into his regular diet he ate pork, bread and sugar last week, this was clearly just pre taped.

Edited by biakbiak
On 1/29/2018 at 10:18 AM, General Days said:

I felt bad enough for Michael when he couldn't try that bacon dog. Carla and Clinton looked like they tasted heaven. Meanwhile, Michael (literally) poked himself in the eye at the end of the segment. 

God that looked good!

On 1/29/2018 at 1:52 PM, biakbiak said:

I wonder if Daphne's husbamd got a new job because they have been spending most of the psst few months living in her parents Miami house.

With three young kids and the recent death of his dad, maybe they're just due a little R n R. They both seem very bright and focused, so maybe they're onto a new venture of their own.

• Love 1

I do sometimes miss Mario's presence on the show -- especially the Mario who was more lighthearted and had a sense of humor, as opposed to the disinterested Mario who sometimes seemed like he really didn't want to be there.  But, alas... he will never be back.  He is persona non grata for ABC and for many of the viewers.   He doesn't even exist in clips from previous shows or reruns anymore.    It's like he was never there.

I must say that, although there are some days when Michael, Clinton and Carla seem 'off' or are just not completely meshing with each other (which could be for any number of reasons), when they are all in sync and on their game, interacting well and laughing, there is a really good energy to the show.  Today was one of those shows where they really seemed to mesh well.   They are a lot of fun to watch when they are in the zone and playing well off of each other. 

I don't mind Daphne not being a daily regular on the show anymore, but I would be completely okay with her coming back to sit in as a guest host here and there, when one of the other 3 has to take time off.   I actually think it would be a really smart thing for ABC to do, to bring her back every now and then.    Sooner or later, one of the 3 hosts is going to have to miss some tapings.    Having at least one back-up/emergency/fill-in host -- preferably someone with whom the audience is already familiar and feels comfortable, and someone who would not throw off the chemistry or pace of the show -- is probably going to be something the network seriously looks at if the show is renewed for an 8th season.  I think it's inevitable that they will have to find a good fill-in for when they eventually need one.

Daphne would make perfect sense as that fill-in person, but I think it would only happen if she and The Chew producers and ABC execs parted on friendly terms.  If she left the show due to being pushed out, or if there were issues that could not be resolved which caused some bad blood, we won't be seeing her again -- even as a guest on the show, promoting her own projects!

In 2017, when was it that they announced the return to Epcot's Food & Wine Festival?  I keep thinking it was June.  Or was it May?  I know they didn't actually go to Epcot until October, but they announced it several months in advance.  Anyway, they obviously knew at the point of the announcement that the show would be back for a 7th season.    So I am thinking that within the next 3 or 4 months, they'll know (and hopefully we'll know) if they are coming back for an 8th season.

Oh, and one thing that I have learned this month -- which I'm not sure I was aware of in the previous 6 seasons -- is that Clinton really loves a chicken wing!    He was so cute, going in for seconds, thirds and fourths from the platter of chicken parm wings.

• Love 3
17 hours ago, biakbiak said:

God the Best Chef on the Block was lame from both a food and entertainment perspective.

It was.  Although I have such a backlog of shows I wanted to watch and the Olympics, I was able to fast forward through that portion of the show--which ended up being a significant portion of the show each day.

22 hours ago, biakbiak said:

God the Best Chef on the Block was lame from both a food and entertainment perspective.

I agree. It was borderline unwatchable. I guess it was educational if you want to reinforce that not everyone is capable of cooking, talking, and being telegenic simultaneously but I feel like I already knew that.

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, jcbrown said:

I agree. It was borderline unwatchable. I guess it was educational if you want to reinforce that not everyone is capable of cooking, talking, and being telegenic simultaneously but I feel like I already knew that.

I feel most of the home chefs that have beenon were more natural on camera, had better food knowledge and produced more interesting dishes. I understand not everyone is good on camera but they didnt seem to make up for that with the food.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1
(edited)
17 hours ago, justspiffy said:

They really need at least one other permanent co-host. 

And it needs to be someone with some gravitas (who is not a pervert). I like these three but they used to talk about how they felt like the grown-ups were gone when they were the only hosts and I feel like that is kind of happening. Carla is getting worse, in particular. She has always been easily distracted and not always good about remembering to communicate and she is having a harder time always keeping on track lately (don't get me wrong, I like her, I just think the fact that she is a spazz sometimes is too much front and center). I vote for Antonia Lafaso or Ming Tsai.

Edited by jcbrown
spelling is important
  • Love 1

I thought Michael was ridiculous comparing The Lost Kitchen, snail mail reservation system, to Lola and saying it was bad. The lost Kitchen is only open 8 months a year not year round like Lola, is located in a tiny town in Maine not downtown Cleveland, and serves only 1 seating for 40 people everyday, not the hundreds of covers Lola does a day. They were being completely overwhelmed by calls where the phone lines were jammed over the last few years. 

• Love 1

The three seem to have gotten a comfortable pace now without Mario.

I liked the fish recipe, steamed on the stovetop  in the parchment (where do I get that?) and the aluminum. 

55 minutes ago, ari333 said:

The three seem to have gotten a comfortable pace now without Mario.

I liked the fish recipe, steamed on the stovetop  in the parchment (where do I get that?) and the aluminum. 

Do you mean where do you get parchment paper?

1 hour ago, ari333 said:

three seem to have gotten a comfortable pace now without Mario.

Interesting I find the show so stale, I am not sure if it's the hosts fault or production and they need to stop tryong to make Sparkles happen. She is okay demonstraring a recipe but these other segments highlight she doesn't have the personality that shones through on camera.

I think the hosts are fine, and they still seem to be having fun.  But I feel like they are running out of ideas, as most of the recipes this season seem to be rehashes of things they've done before.

Whoever does the website has certainly checked out.  Twice in the last couple of weeks, the recipes for the day were for a show that was 2 or more years old (3/20 shows recipes for 3/18/16 and 3/30 shows a recipe for 3/20/13) instead of the actual day, and a couple of days didn't show the recipes at all, only the videos (3/26 and 4/2).  I just checked and they're still not fixed.  Some recipes are missing a step or the entire recipe.  There are glaring typos.  Sometimes it's a chore to go there and find a recipe, even when they have one I might want.  It's...unprofessional.

Carl's hair today was...unfortunate. The severe bun with the straightened ends mimicking bangs--just no. I like many of the interesting hair concoctions she sports, but this one was not  good.

On 4/11/2018 at 3:20 PM, ari333 said:

If you're asking where you get parchment paper, you can find it right next to the aluminum foil.  It comes in white or brown.  When I bake fish, I put it in parchment in an attempt to do en papillote but I can never fold it perfectly enough to create a true pocket so it usually starts opening.  Still, it does the job.  It makes fish very hard to overcook when it's wrapped up.  Putting aluminum foil over it would make creating a pocket so much easier and I can't believe I hadn't thought of it before.  I'm going to try that next time.

• Love 1

Maybe they will be cancelled, it looks like after the week off they cut the studio audience in half made it look crazy cheap.

This episode was atrocious from start to finish and it looks like Clinton gained 50 lbs over the break. Not shaming him but the difference was noticeable.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1

I sincerely hope they are not cancelled, and I hope that the hosts do not decide to call it a day and end the show.   I am not ready to let them go.    I am still enjoying them.   Sure, they have their 'off' days.   I have said before that I think there are some days when they are just not in sync with each other, or when one of them seems to be grumpy/distracted/not especially upbeat and it throws off the whole energy of the show.  But... when they are all on the same page, in good spirits, and kind of loose and free, they are extremely entertaining.  

Today (Thursday's show) was one of those days when they were very entertaining.  When they were all doing the Bar Crawl segment, and they got to the final portion (when Clinton made a hilarious mistake), I could not stop laughing.  I laughed louder and harder at his blooper than I have at any TV show (even actual comedies) in years.   I don't know what it was that struck such a nerve in me, but I could not contain my laughter.  Seeing how caught off guard Michael and Carla were by Clinton's goof (sending them into giggle fits as well), and seeing how Clinton lost it and burst into laughter himself, just made me laugh even more.

It's times like those -- when they are being off the cuff and not as "by-the-book", rolling with the unexpected moments that come up -- that I don't even care what they are cooking or drinking.  I just like watching them have fun with each other.  But there are definitely some days here and there where one or all of them is just not all there, mentally, and they seem to really be reaching and struggling to stay focused.

Edited by TVFan17
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, ari333 said:

I missed it and now want to see it. What did Clinton do? TIA

GACK. I LOATHE Katharine McPhee

Here is the video of Clinton's goof on yesterday's show (watch the clip all the way to the end, if you can)--

Edited by TVFan17
  • Love 2

I had just seen yesterday's episode on DVR and it really made me laugh.  Then for some reason, I  played your video and the anticipation plus your description made me laugh so hard I started having a slight bout of asthma  which is always worth it for a goid laugh.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, TVFan17 said:

Here is the video of Clinton's goof on yesterday's show (watch the clip all the way to the end, if you can)--

Thank you for posting that.  It was hysterical!  I would have much rather seen that then the Bill Cosby verdict, which is what I got instead - stupid ABC couldn't wait 5 minutes...

Edited by Nessie
  • Love 3
On 4/27/2018 at 5:54 PM, TVFan17 said:

That was hilarious!   My cheeks hurt from smiling.  :)

Rob Roy!

Edited by Sweedish Fish
  • Love 2

I got lucky as far as the video of the Bar Crawl segment being posted on The Chew's Facebook page, so it was easy to share that specific clip here!   I read quite a few comments from people saying that they, too, got the Cosby verdict interruption and they missed the last part of the episode.   I've experienced those annoying "breaking news" interruptions -- and sometimes it might be just to show us a high speed chase on the streets, or something that is not worth disrupting a show for -- and have had to go to the ABC website to watch whichever episode of The Chew was interrupted.

It seems like we could possibly find out in the next couple of months or so if the show is returning for an 8th season.   If they are planning another Epcot week for the Food & Wine Festival, I think they would probably announce it on the show in June.  If they announce it in June, then we will know they are coming back in the fall, because that's when their trips to Epcot happen.  However, if they decide to skip Food & Wine this year, we might not get a clear announcement of the show's fate in June.   We might not find out until later in the summer.  If they are coming back for another season, but there are cast changes of any sort (departures, additions, etc.), we might not find that out until August.

Next year is going to be huge at Disneyland Resort and Walt Disney World Resort, because of the massive Star Wars-themed lands (called Star Wars:  Galaxy's Edge) opening up at each location.  Knowing how ABC sends at least one -- if not more -- of their daytime shows to Disney parks when there is a big event or celebration happening, I wonder if they will send either Kelly & Ryan or The View to Anaheim or to Orlando to do a week of shows from the parks and segments about the new Star Wars lands. 

In any case, I would not be shocked if The Chew skipped going to Epcot either this year or next year, or both, as ABC might focus on sending one of the other daytime shows out to cover Star Wars:  Galaxy's Edge in 2019, and it might be redundant to have 2 weeks of Disney Parks shows  (one week for one series and one week for another series) in the same year (although I just remembered that The View went to Orlando/Disney early in 2017, I think, and The Chew still went to Epcot later in October -- so who knows?),  

Edited by TVFan17
remembered something I wanted to add