Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E11: Brotherhood of the Damned

Umm that was kind of great! This season is truly the first time that I have cared about The Originals in like ever. The body swapping and the actors portraying the new Mikealsons have interested me in this new story. The scenes that stood out the most to me this episode: Marcel commanding his troops. That was perfect. Can some of those 'friends' come to play in New Orleans (or in Mystic Falls for that matter). Good episode. 

I very much enjoyed it.  I'm hopeful this back half of the season continues with this level of entertainment.  

Loved Marcel's war allegory and the brother's in their witchy mind palace room.  Well worth the price of admission.   Like, venusnv80, I wonder if we get to see some of those players again.  

I'm even slightly interested in Jax/Haley's story, especially when the grandma from Everwood showed up. 

I'm very edgy waiting for Finn to suss out Hope being alive.  Very suspenseful! 

• Love 2

Loved this episode.

Arrogant/condescending Elijah is such a treat. I can't blame the guy, he's been around for 1000 years so he's kind of earned it.

The scenes of the brothers in the cabin was really well done. The actor playing Finn is amazing. I especially loved Klaus snarking on Finn being a Boar/Bore.

Loved the flashbacks to WWI, that was a good setup for Marcel's present day story.

I still don't care about the Werewolf story-line at all. However, I did miss Rebekah, I was really looking forward to seeing more of Bex and Freya.

Almost forgot, I really love the Elijah/Klaus relationship, it's totally messed up but the actors play off each other so well.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 5

I will have to see who wrote this episode.

Kyle Arrington and Diane Ademu-John, they did a spectacular and entertaining job with what was largely a filler episode, andweaving all these disparate threads into one thematic whole re: family. I kind of loved Klaus having to keep 7 plates spinning all at once at the end, with wolf boyfriend, Marcel, Finn, Kol, and Haley. I loved that he forgave Elijah if only to spite Finn, silver linings and all that.

I also laughed really hard when Finn was trying to figure out Klaus' #1"...I thought it would be Rebekah...." Oh Finn, Rebekah and Hope are TIED for #1, don't make a monster choose between his incestuous love of his sister and his magical mystical daughter.

I appreciated the fleshing out of Marcel, as hero and a leader, who had to make his own family even while being an honorary Mikaelsson.

And Kovina kissed, sigh they are so ridiculously sparkly together.  I ship it hardcore. 

• Love 4

I loved this episode.

The brothers all together and their scenes, the only thing missing was Rebeckha. That would have made it perfect. Klaus uniting with Elijah and the look on Finn's face when they were able to break the spell. Klaus out right saying to Devina he loved Rebeckha more than Kol. 

Really liked the war backstory of Marcelle too and his going all leader on his crew. 

Jackson's just perfect, that speech he gave Hailey to go back to do the trials. He's so much better than she deserves. 

Edited by Artsda
  • Love 3

I basically have nothing to add. I loved this episode mostly because of the Marcel stuff. I love love him in part because you can tell he still thinks of Klaus as capable of being heroic. And you tell that Marcel tries to live the lessons Klaus taught him and throw them back at Klaus to demonstrate how true the lessons are. And of course I love Mikaelsons interacting with each other.

And I loved that Klaus knew about Josh and Aiden. I wonder if everyone knows.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 4

I loved Marcel's flashbacks! So is this military unit of vampires still around? Because now I want them all to come to NOLA. (I still regret that they killed off all Marcel's old buddies last season -- Gia and Josh are fantastic, but I'd also like to have some characters on who've known Marcel a long time (but who aren't named Mikaelson)). I also liked Marcel and Klaus's relationship in those flashbacks. Klaus is so high maintenance, and I loved how exasperated yet resigned Marcel was with him. Imagine dealing with Klaus acting as your "surrogate father" for SEVENTY YEARS or however long it had been by the time Marcel went to war. I'd be throwing myself onto the bayonets, too.

Anyway, I knew as soon as Joe asked Marcel to make him a vampire that Marcel would do it. That seemed so similar to how Marcel finally became a vampire himself, and Marcel wasn't going to make Joe and the rest of the guys beg for it like Klaus made him. IA that Marcel tries to follow the "lessons" that Klaus has taught him, but in a way that puts Klaus to shame. I like that about him, he's got a lot of pride but he's not arrogant. Frankly, though, I'm always delighted to see more of Marcel, imo he's really been wasted this season (and last season, too, tbh).

I wonder what's going to happen with Marcel and Rebekah when they find her. I don't really like Marcel and Rebekah as a couple (the thing of him being raised as Rebekah's nephew and then things turning "romantic" is just too uncomfortable), so I'm not hoping for any sparks, but I do think that he'd be the one who she would (or at least should) go to once she's out of Witch Asylum, because he's the most trustworthy of her friends/family in NOLA right now. It would be interesting to see her hanging with Gia and Josh imo. Way back on Vampire Diaries, I remember Sage and possibly other characters having issues with Rebekah because she's such a snob, and tbh, I think Rebekah *is* a snob. So I think she might have some trouble with Gia and Josh, who just aren't. But anyway, just musing.

Finn is marvelous. How is he so scary and so pathetic at the same time? Love him. I also love that he's relatively new to all this. He's been alive a long time, technically, but he was barely *alive* for any of that time. And I'm honestly sort of on his side, because why they locked him in that coffin instead of letting him just go out and enjoy his life away from the rest of the family, I don't know. Also, I want to see him with Mikael more. If Mikael had an issue with Klaus because he thought he was weak, I'm really curious how he took to Finn.

The only weak spot for me was, what's the big deal about Tatia? I mean great that Klaus can ~forgive~, but what happened with her doesn't seem like it had anything much to do with Klaus in the first place. If Elijah's going to feel bad, shouldn't he feel bad for how he betrayed *Tatia,* not Klaus? Or even feel bad for Esther maybe, since she took the blame for Tatia's death. Though it's not like she doesn't have so many other much bigger beefs with literally everyone in the family, so her also taking the blame for Tatia's death was never going to matter much. If I had to sum up the whole Tatia "issue," I guess I would have to describe it as:  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Love 2

Esther should take the blame for Tatia's death, since ultimately she is the one responsible. Much as I love Klaus, how big of him to forgive Elijah in light of all that Elijah's continually forgiven him.

This show really does have a remarkably talented cast.

• Love 1

I had such mixed feelings about Klaus's family speech to Marcel at the beginning of the episode. In theory, I totally get what he's saying (and I like how Marcel amended it when he was giving the same speech to his men to say that family is not about blood but who you CHOOSE to fight for), but at the same time, good lord, Klaus, learn how to read a room. As usual, Klaus decides that the best strategy to getting what he wants is to yell and bully. That works with little kids but not with adults who have been hanging out with you for 100 years. Any idiot knows that when your kid says he's leaving, the way to get him to stay is NOT to scream at him.

On top of all that, I just laughed that Klaus says family is not just there to coddle you and give you your heart's desire. Really, Klaus? Because whenever your family members DON'T coddle you and give you what you want, they end up inside a coffin with a dagger embedded somewhere.

But then I look at the very end of his speech and see that's the heart of the matter, as it has always been with Klaus. The last thing he said to Marcel was that you don't abandon your family. He is so terrified of being left alone (and to be honest, he would deserve it after all that Elijah and Rebekah have put up with). He thought that Marcel would be even more loyal and never leave his surrogate daddy so he sees Marcel joining the army as a betrayal and abandonment. You know, because it's always all about Klaus.

While I understand having Klaus exposition about going to the bayou to keep Hayley from telling Jackson about Hope, it seemed pretty stupid for him to basically tell Aiden, "Hayley and I have a biiiiiiiig secret so I have to go remind her not to tell Jackson." And knowing that Finn is trying to discover what this secret is, it seemed really stupid for Klaus to get on the phone and say, "How is my daughter?" Magic aside, Finn could just find a way to listen to Klaus and Elijah's phone conversations with good old technology. I'm not saying they need to use code names or anything, but maybe not use phrases like "MY DAUGHTER" when he doesn't know who might be listening (especially knowing that vampires and werewolves have super hearing). Considering that Aiden then walked in two seconds later, at Klaus's request, it was even more stupid that Klaus is not even trying to be discreet.

This show really works best when it focuses on the family (and by family, I don't mean Klaus bossing everyone around). It was interesting to see the four Mikaelson brothers hashing out their issues.

One thing that annoyed me about Finn was when he accused Kol of only caring about his own fragile mortality. So according to Finn it's wrong, as someone in a human body, to not want to die? And if that's such a petty thing to be concerned about, what the hell is Finn doing that's so noble? Torturing his family members and orchestrating what he hopes will be a massive slaughter of innocent people in New Orleans? Esther was a little overboard but at least she was trying to right a wrong that she committed which I can understand as taking responsibility for a mistake that she made and unleashed on the rest of the world. But Finn isn't trying to right a wrong or do anything to save the world. He is just being a petty jealous dick. So he's the Klaus in this situation!

• Love 2

Marcel was on and I loved it! He's been neglected this season, but the past two episodes have done a good job returning him to the fold. Actually the best part of the past two has been the very balanced treatment of their central characters.

I hope grandma-wolf sticks around. Since the wolf gene gets triggered at puberty, I wonder if old age reverses it. We don't see many older wolves running around. And I'd imagine the healing effects would stop old wolves dying natural deaths. 

Finn continues to be the most interesting witch in the TVD/TO universe. I guess maybe I was supposed to be moved by Klaus and Elijah's screwed up familial love (aww...though not really), but I was more intrigued by Finn's reaction to his psycho family and his own miscalculations. The one thing that I don't buy is how Finn was daggered for being dull, when next to Elijah, the dude is a positive hoot.

I love all family chill times we've been getting. So nice now that there are enough Originals to have them. I'd hoped Kol would stick around longer through his brothers' drama, but I wasn't too bothered since since one of my favorite dynamics is what's happening between Kol/Marcel. Their history and the whole good little brother/bad little brother rivalry is so intriguing, anytime they share a scene I sit up. 

A fear I had earlier on in the season was that Davina would become the go to deus ex machina for all of Klaus' witch problems. I'm glad this hasn't been the case. I was much happier with the resolve that happened than if Davina had found a last minute solution. And I do hope that her relationship with Kol (which is packed with chemistry, I should add) is setting her up as an adversary to Klaus in the long run, not his personal-Bonnie. But their sniping is charming. So charming that if the actress was five or six years older, I might consider shipping her with Klaus. At least we know she can smack him around when he gets whiny.  

I missed Rebekah, but I forgive her loss with all the great set up we got. Poor Klaus has a lot on his plate right now, doesn't he? Heh. I like not knowing what he's going to do, because stakes are high either way. And I'm more than a little intrigued about the Marcel/Finn interaction, minus the torture.

Oh and, I'm starting to wonder about Kol and how there might be more to him trapping Rebekah than just as a prank. I can remember at least one occasion on TVD when his character played off his actions as "I'm just playing" when in fact he had very specific goals. 

Edited by driedfruit
  • Love 2

I…wow. Just wow. I LOVED this episode and continue to love this show more and more. Ya'll have posted so much of what I liked about it and why already. And I could watch Davina slap Klaus all day long, hee! 

Finn continues to be my everything. I love how YG has a very specific way of walking as Finn: left arm behind his back as he strides with a purpose. 

The Mikaelson boys in Finn's witchy mental torture room made me squee, from boar/bore to Klaus magnanimously (snerk) forgiving Elijah re Tatia to Finn realizing Klaus has a secret…perfection.

Marcel annoyed me to no end when TO first started but for me he has really grown as a character, he's proven himself as a true leader again and again and I love how he has taken Klaus' lessons to heart and totally surpassed Klaus. So, so glad that Gia, Josh and the other vampires apparently made it thru the human buffet on the streets and back to Marcel's. 

Still don't care about Hayley and Jackson. Pfffft.

• Love 2
I love how he has taken Klaus' lessons to heart and totally surpassed Klaus.

That's because Marcel actually applies what Klaus says (as opposed to Klaus just saying this stuff and then doing whatever he wants, even if it contradicts what he just said), even when it means that he has to put Thierry in the garden for breaking one of his rules.

• Love 2

Wonderful episode.  Wonderful show!

I wonder if we get to see some of those players again.

Wasn't the main soldier the guy who volunteered to fight the werewolf family last season?  The one who sold records to Davina?

I can't get enough of the family dynamics on this show, how each different family member and their own personality and their position in the family all plays out depending on who is interacting with each other.  Even Marcel...I liked his flashback, but unlike everybody else, I didn't roll my eyes at Klaus not wanting him to leave.  Klaus is psychotic and a megalomaniac, but I have always believed that his love for Marcel is real.  In his heart Marcel is his son, and no matter how far that son tries to get away from him, he always pulls him back.  They made a big to do about his forgiving Elijah but he has also forgiven Marcel on many occasions.  Considering the other pressing matters he had going on, when he found out that Marcel had been bitten, he put that at the top of his priorities.  I also found it significant that Marcel was the first Klaus allowed to hold baby Hope and there was a moment when Klaus watched this scene with parental pride - watching BOTH of his children and feeling that they were the best things he's ever done in all his 1000 years.  Marcel pulls away from Klaus because he is, well, KLAUS, but Klaus is always wanting to have some sort of relationship or at least an eye on Marcel. 

I also find the Marcel/Kol interaction interesting.  Kol has always felt second fiddle to Marcel even though he was his "uncle" and he used that position of power to torture Marcel a bit when he was a child.  But now that Marcel has grown into a formidable man/vamp Kol is not quite sure how to handle him.  What's worse is that he sees that on many levels he is still considered to be a Mikaelson by the other siblings, while they seemingly shut him out.  I do wonder if his intentions toward Davina are a way to dig at Marcel.

As for Finn, he is very scary but I just feel sad for him.  It is clear that he got the brains in that family and he'll scent out Hope in no time at all.  I was shocked at how quickly he got the drop on ALL of them, including his parents.  He's no joke - but that doesn't stop them from laughing at him.  I am very interested to see how the inclusion of Freya will play out with Finn and if she will prove to be the biggest threat to the family or glue to finally bring them all together.

Edited by Timetoread
  • Love 1

The one thing that I don't buy is how Finn was daggered for being dull, when next to Elijah, the dude is a positive hoot.

I enjoy the new Finn but to me he has basically gotten a personality transplant after Esther resurrected him. Granted, we didn`t see a lot of him back on Vampire Diaries but Kol managed to gain a personality in a few scenes (if that was an appealing one is another matter). However Original!Finn, pardon the pun, WAS dull as dishwater. I could easily see why his siblings voted him off the vampire island at first.

Compared to an Elijah who threw a couple coins into a cafe, to have a few vamps burst into flames, ripped out hearts left and right, invented the "when making deals with me, it behooves you to be extremely literal because I am, too" and genuinely had a great balance between ruthlessness and prim and proper, Finn was background noise. Elijah was also the only 1.000 year old vampire that came across to me as such. Everyone else, including Mikael, lacked that feeling of gravity.    

• Love 3

There was some clunky exposition going on, but I still loved this episode.  Finn, Finn, Finn.  I love that he has all this flair but spends his time complaining and being jealous and performing tricks that utterly fail.  Love. 

So should we take bets on how the supernatural world finds out about Hope?  

• We have Rebekah stuck in an asylum in a human being fed pills while Freya lounges in a glass coffin in the closet.  There are a lot of ways the Hope secret can come out in this plot. 
  • Haley has that magical forcing of truthiness stuff going on (which, btw, any marriage that forces partners to do things they don't want to do is bullshit.  100% truth is bullshit, too.  Klaus was actually right about this one)
  • Marcel is getting Finn'd, and I'm guessing it's the decompelling thing Davina did to Cami.  
  • Klaus is just going around telling people about secrets and screaming about his daughter into unsecured lines.  
  • Elijiah and Cami are just one locator spell away from detection.

Finn is such a failure that the Marcel way seems the least likely, but that also makes it the more satisfying plot.  Finn is so mustache twirling right now that it would be really curious what he does if he's faced with the reality of using a baby as a way to hurt his brothers.  I also really just want to see the four boys together in a room cooing over a baby.   So my top bet is Finn wins the day.

Next would be Rebekah divulging the secret.  Perhaps Freya can only get out if Talia has a new first born to use.  Freya might be really motivated to get Rebekah to spill secrets.  Rebekah is so unlikely to give up Hope, but Rebekah is also now in a fragile human body inside asylum with drugs and mean people.  So, could happen.  

Also, can someone remind me, Davina knows where Rebekah is, right?  Pretty big gesture of trust for Kol if she does know.  I just can't quite recall some of the timeline of events.  And another thing, 

Oh and, I'm starting to wonder about Kol and how there might be more to him trapping Rebekah than just as a prank. I can remember at least one occasion on TVD when his character played off his actions as "I'm just playing" when in fact he had very specific goals

Good point.  Could he be trying to get Freya free?  

Edited by bluebonnet
  • Love 1

Guys...I kinda ship Gia and Marcel now. She was running her fingertips over his head,which was in her lap! This is not something you do with a pal. Does she just have chemistry with everyone? I don't know. But I am into her and I want to keep her forever.

Otherwise, I loved this and last week's episode, which I watched back-to-back. I like the way they are playing with the character/relationship dynamics. It's something TO has always done well, and TVD still does sometimes as well--revealing secrets or big moves and then allowing its characters to surprise you sometimes. Klaus's forgiveness of Elijah wasn't all that surprising to me, but Elijah's emotion around it, and how it ended Finn's spell, was surprising. Marcel proving himself a good leader again, showing a new, stronger side of Gia and Josh. Jackson being in love with Hayley but understanding he can't make her love him too. Finn being merciless, even when it comes to his mother. Ack, love everything.

Kudos to the writing staff and the whole cast (yes, even LP and PT who I know are not popular), because I am so enthralled with everything right now.

• Love 1

Compared to an Elijah who threw a couple coins into a cafe, to have a few vamps burst into flames, ripped out hearts left and right, invented the "when making deals with me, it behooves you to be extremely literal because I am, too" and genuinely had a great balance between ruthlessness and prim and proper, Finn was background noise.

To be fair, I remember Julie Plec being *really* sort of hilariously bummed they had said there were SEVEN Original siblings, so I think they eliminated one immediately (Heinrich) and at that point in TVD had zero plans for Finn. Like, did he have more than 10 minutes of screen time over 3 episodes? He didn't make an impression because they didn't want him to at that point, but again I think the current version is consistent with the facts of the character, aka that they kept him on ice for most of history, after he lost his sister, and was turned into a monster against his will.

So she we take bets on how the supernatural world finds out about Hope?

Yeah that was another thing I liked about the episode there really was no chance they were ever going to keep this secret, even if Klaus weren't casually mentioning it on a cell phone. I feel like if it's Dahlia's spell/curse she's got some kind of "homing beam alert system" on that whole first born is done birthed thing.

Like, did he have more than 10 minutes of screen time over 3 episodes? He didn't make an impression because they didn't want him to at that point

My only memory of Finn on TVD was that he was the only one of the siblings who had found a life partner.  I don't remember what he looked like though.

Yeah that was another thing I liked about the episode there really was no chance they were ever going to keep this secret, even if Klaus weren't casually mentioning it on a cell phone.

It's dangerous and unwise but I find it endearing that Klaus can't stop talking about his baby.   What I want to know is what kind of beast is that little girl?  Thalia is a witch, but Hope is a witch/vamp/wolf and god knows what else since the products of mystical, impossible pregnancies tend to be uberpowerful.  Maybe Hope will drop that pesky woman without so much as soiling her diapers?

Edited by Timetoread
  • Love 1
Wasn't the main soldier the guy who volunteered to fight the werewolf family last season?  The one who sold records to Davina?

[...]

Even Marcel...I liked his flashback, but unlike everybody else, I didn't roll my eyes at Klaus not wanting him to leave.  Klaus is psychotic and a megalomaniac, but I have always believed that his love for Marcel is real.  In his heart Marcel is his son, and no matter how far that son tries to get away from him, he always pulls him back.  They made a big to do about his forgiving Elijah but he has also forgiven Marcel on many occasions.  Considering the other pressing matters he had going on, when he found out that Marcel had been bitten, he put that at the top of his priorities.  I also found it significant that Marcel was the first Klaus allowed to hold baby Hope and there was a moment when Klaus watched this scene with parental pride - watching BOTH of his children and feeling that they were the best things he's ever done in all his 1000 years.  Marcel pulls away from Klaus because he is, well, KLAUS, but Klaus is always wanting to have some sort of relationship or at least an eye on Marcel.

I think you're right, I think the guy at the record store was Joe! I loved the idea of the Army of the Damned and I really hope the show goes back to that. How scary would they be tearing through the German line? And how are they going to explain to everyone that they survived? I guess how I'm imagining the idea is as a SUPER messed up version of Glory. Which I would love to see, tbh.

Anyway, I think you're right and Klaus sincerely does love Marcel. It wasn't *at all* a shock to me that he'd want Marcel near him and in a sick way I actually found it sweet that he tracked him down to the battlefield. It wasn't that I was rolling my eyes about Klaus being controlling and difficult yet again, it's that I'm often torn over these characters (including Klaus, though not just him) because I often think that, realistically, they're not controlling or difficult *enough.*

Tbh, I would expect someone like Klaus to pull all kinds of tricks to get Marcel to either not leave or to come back -- stuff like claiming that tons of stuff is going wrong in NOLA that only Marcel can fix, someone Marcel loves (maybe Klaus himself) is in a huge amount of danger and he needs Marcel to save/help him, screwing Marcel over somehow so he's helpless and can't actually leave, etc. At the last moment when Marcel was leaving, I at least would have expected some sort of "BUT MIKAEL'S HERE!" trick. Or maybe some kind of "if I can't have him, no one can!" kind of plan, like maybe dosing Marcel with werewolf venom. But Klaus actually responded fairly normally -- by yelling at Marcel and pouting, and then coming to visit him. The same thing goes for Esther, where I'm like, OK Esther's being irritating and overly controlling, but when is she going to *really* pull a mindfuck on her kids? The answer is apparently that she's not going to, though? YMMV. I'm just always waiting for the craziness and interpersonal cruelty to go up another notch but it doesn't.

Anyway, not to complain too much. I love these characters for the most part, they're a lot of fun. I have a soft spot for disturbing non sequiturs, so of course I especially love Finn and Klaus both, since they each give an endless supply of them. My favorite thing that Klaus said in this episode was that Finn was beating him out for most ungrateful child. That kind of cracked me up. While both of them are monsters, I wouldn't ever say that Klaus or Finn is actually *ungrateful* to their parents. Finn has literally died for Esther before. And Klaus is suddenly thinking he hasn't been grateful enough? Grateful for what? Oh, those halcyon days when he was getting beat with a bullwhip by Mikael or wearing Esther's magical weakening necklace, acting as the scapegoat/glue that held a (literally) cursed family together. But I actually could totally believe that that made sense in his messed up head *and* it was funny and obnoxious. In other words, he was behaving just as I like him. That Finn was channeling immortal beings and concocting this gigantic spell, all to force his brothers to hang out with him for an afternoon reminded me why I like him, too. Did Finn even have an actual goal in mind, or was the *entire* idea just for him to chill with with his brother in that mental/magic shack and puzzle over whatever they said? Kind of hilarious. Now I imagine Finn hanging out in that burnt up mental/magic shack alone, thinking back on their conversation and maybe even catching himself reminiscing a little. Idk, I just like the guy. He's so slimy and creepy, but he's also genuinely a soft touch (and obviously so).

• Love 1
Finn is so mustache twirling right now that it would be really curious what he does if he's faced with the reality of using a baby as a way to hurt his brothers.

I'm trying to remember Finn's reaction when his mother told him about [witch whose name I can't remember who stole his older sister].  I wonder if the writers will make this into a situation where he has to team up with Klaus and Elijah to defeat her because she's an even bigger worser threat.  Alternatively, since he's such a lickspittle, he could side with her against them.  Either way, I think the writers will do a good job with it.

Just got a chance to watch the episode and for a primarily “filler episode” I thought it was well done.

As mentioned in a previous episode thread, Jackson and Hayley sharing  screen time works for me.  I can save time FF through  one scene rather than two.  Hayley and the Wolves separately bore me but put together it gets painful.  Maybe it’s the constant reference to her being a/their “Queen” I find so off putting?  Oh well…

Marcel showing himself as a charismatic leader was well played, since it seemed to be an issue (jealousy) for Klaus in season 1. The idea the vampires followed Marcel out of general admiration and seemed to actually like him, where as with Klaus people fell in line out of fear. Nice continuity to see how his personality developed.
Although within these scenes I could’ve done without the required Klaus's tantrum per episode.  As much as I love JM it has become glaringly clear to me how much more I enjoy him in his smaller moment, regardless if they are dramatic or humorous…. Just not so screechy.

I loved Finn, Klaus, Elijah, and Kol in equal parts during their scenes.  The actual Originals family dynamic is where this show really hits it mark, IMO.

Also, I like the insider group of Marcel, Josh, and Gia. I’ve decide they’re invited to the fantasy show I have in my head.  The cast includes all the actual Originals, as well as a road tripping Katherine and Caroline.

The only weak spot for me was, what's the big deal about Tatia? I mean great that Klaus can ~forgive~, but what happened with her doesn't seem like it had anything much to do with Klaus in the first place. If Elijah's going to feel bad, shouldn't he feel bad for how he betrayed *Tatia,* not Klaus? Or even feel bad for Esther maybe, since she took the blame for Tatia's death. Though it's not like she doesn't have so many other much bigger beefs with literally everyone in the family, so her also taking the blame for Tatia's death was never going to matter much. If I had to sum up the whole Tatia "issue," I guess I would have to describe it as:  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I know.... I was happy they didn’t have Klaus lose it over the Tatia secret too.
During the buildup I thought it was somewhat odd, while I know in the Flashbacks and conversation in TVD world both brothers were into Tatia… it also seemed Klaus had moved passed it while Elijah clearly continued to have a soft spot for the Petrovia Doppelganger lineage

I had such mixed feelings about Klaus's family speech to Marcel at the beginning of the episode. In theory, I totally get what he's saying (and I like how Marcel amended it when he was giving the same speech to his men to say that family is not about blood but who you CHOOSE to fight for), but at the same time, good lord, Klaus, learn how to read a room. As usual, Klaus decides that the best strategy to getting what he wants is to yell and bully. That works with little kids but not with adults who have been hanging out with you for 100 years. Any idiot knows that when your kid says he's leaving, the way to get him to stay is NOT to scream at him.

On top of all that, I just laughed that Klaus says family is not just there to coddle you and give you your heart's desire. Really, Klaus? Because whenever your family members DON'T coddle you and give you what you want, they end up inside a coffin with a dagger embedded somewhere.

But then I look at the very end of his speech and see that's the heart of the matter, as it has always been with Klaus. The last thing he said to Marcel was that you don't abandon your family. He is so terrified of being left alone (and to be honest, he would deserve it after all that Elijah and Rebekah have put up with). He thought that Marcel would be even more loyal and never leave his surrogate daddy so he sees Marcel joining the army as a betrayal and abandonment. You know, because it's always all about Klaus.

While I understand having Klaus exposition about going to the bayou to keep Hayley from telling Jackson about Hope, it seemed pretty stupid for him to basically tell Aiden, "Hayley and I have a biiiiiiiig secret so I have to go remind her not to tell Jackson." And knowing that Finn is trying to discover what this secret is, it seemed really stupid for Klaus to get on the phone and say, "How is my daughter?" Magic aside, Finn could just find a way to listen to Klaus and Elijah's phone conversations with good old technology. I'm not saying they need to use code names or anything, but maybe not use phrases like "MY DAUGHTER" when he doesn't know who might be listening (especially knowing that vampires and werewolves have super hearing). Considering that Aiden then walked in two seconds later, at Klaus's request, it was even more stupid that Klaus is not even trying to be discreet.

This show really works best when it focuses on the family (and by family, I don't mean Klaus bossing everyone around). It was interesting to see the four Mikaelson brothers hashing out their issues.

So much "Word" to this whole thing.

I…wow. Just wow. I LOVED this episode and continue to love this show more and more. Ya'll have posted so much of what I liked about it and why already. And I could watch Davina slap Klaus all day long, hee! 

Agreed...Davina and Klaus were great… especially the shoulder bump and Klaus’s reaction.

• Love 1

I know.... I was happy they didn’t have Klaus lose it over the Tatia secret too.

During the buildup I thought it was somewhat odd, while I know in the Flashbacks and conversation in TVD world both brothers were into Tatia… it also seemed Klaus had moved passed it while Elijah clearly continued to have a soft spot for the Petrovia Doppelganger lineage

I agree. I have no doubt Klaus once loved Tatia--and last season, that would have been enough to make Elijah's unknowing "betrayal" unforgivable. I find that version of Klaus exceedingly tiresome, and I'm glad TO has finally allowed him to grow past that. Because yes, it certainly didn't feel like Klaus held on to Tatia as some sort of ideal or his One True Love or anything. He had no real feelings for Katherine or Elena that we ever saw, aside from selfish desires to control them so that he could access their blood. Elijah was the one who gravitated toward the doppelgangers, and this revelation that he killed Tatia almost makes me appreciate that a little more. Like he loved Kat and wanted to protect Elena, and maybe one element of that was about subconsciously trying to get absolution.

Anyway, I'm not completely sure Klaus is 100% over this, but at least he didn't immediately disavow his brother. Progress.

• Love 2

Anyway, I'm not completely sure Klaus is 100% over this, but at least he didn't immediately disavow his brother.

Heh, yes, I think he "forgave" Elijah  out of spite/practicality as much as he did genuine feeling, but one of my favorite TVD scenes was when Elijah/Klaus had a sit down with Stefan/Damon about how they both once loved Tatia, but put Bros before Hoes basically, so yes I think he wasn't ever THAT into Tatia in the first place, obviously didn't let residual affection impact his pursuit of using Katherine/Elena to break his wolf curse/breed hybrids.

It seemed like IF Klaus was hanging on to anything about the revelation it's that Elijah's been hanging onto his moral superiority and level of nobility and control vis  vis slaughtering humans, and now it turns out he went nutbar on Tatia and lied about it for centuries (although really not even that since Esther made him forgot?).

Edited by blixie

It seemed like IF Klaus was hanging on to anything about the revelation it's that Elijah's been hanging onto his moral superiority and level of nobility and control vis  vis slaughtering humans, and now it turns out he went nutbar on Tatia and lied about it for centuries (although really not even that since Esther made him forgot?).

This is the kind of thing that bugs me about TVD--they take technicalities and make them meaningful, which is a silly shortcut to conflict or development. (Ex.: Elena actually met Damon first OMG that means she loves him more; Stefan "killed" Enzo and that's why Enzo hates him.) Elijah didn't lie about killing Tatia. The Elijah who has spent the last 1,000 years with Klaus didn't intentionally keep that from him. The newly-vamped, in-shock, grief-stricken, devastated Elijah made a quick decision, and had no way of undoing that decision later.

So we'll see how this plays out--and I should say that I have no problem with this seriously messing with Elijah himself--but I personally don't believe that it says anything about the person he is. Committing a heinous act when he was not in control of himself, and then having the memory of that act removed from his mind, doesn't actually change the person he became. I'm assuming that's the conclusion this character arc will reach, but he will always have this guilt and pain now, and that's fine too. I love Elijah, and wouldn't mind seeing him a bit more dangerous again for awhile.

Hayley and the Wolves separately bore me but put together it gets painful.  Maybe it’s the constant reference to her being a/their “Queen” I find so off putting?  Oh well…

It's like the wolves recognize her as more than just an Alpha now (although, what makes her an Alpha? Is it because she's a natural leader? Is she the last of her line, so automatic Alpha? Was her family part of the Crescent pack or a separate pack altogether?) because she's a hybrid. It would have been interesting if the wolves had shunned her as an abomination (which they sort of addressed but mostly glossed over) and she went on some sort of dark storyline to get rid of hybrids or get revenge so that her pack would accept her again. 

I like the storyline, simply because I'm enjoying Jackson's reactions to her. He knows that she's doing this for her people, and he knows at least part of her heart is with Elijah, and he's okay with it. He's upfront with her and not jealous or possessive even though he is in love with her. It's pretty refreshing to see a guy act that way and not fall into the Nice Guy trope. Because he's so open with her and acknowledges that she is her own person and he has no claim on her, she is able to see more deeply into him instead of just friendzoning him. I dig it, is what I'm trying to say.

• Love 4
Also, I like the insider group of Marcel, Josh, and Gia. I’ve decide they’re invited to the fantasy show I have in my head.  The cast includes all the actual Originals, as well as a road tripping Katherine and Caroline.

Ha, add in Davina and Josh's Romeo and that's the show I want.

• Love 2

It's like the wolves recognize her as more than just an Alpha now (although, what makes her an Alpha? Is it because she's a natural leader? Is she the last of her line, so automatic Alpha? Was her family part of the Crescent pack or a separate pack altogether?) because she's a hybrid. It would have been interesting if the wolves had shunned her as an abomination (which they sort of addressed but mostly glossed over) and she went on some sort of dark storyline to get rid of hybrids or get revenge so that her pack would accept her again. 

I like the storyline, simply because I'm enjoying Jackson's reactions to her. He knows that she's doing this for her people, and he knows at least part of her heart is with Elijah, and he's okay with it. He's upfront with her and not jealous or possessive even though he is in love with her. It's pretty refreshing to see a guy act that way and not fall into the Nice Guy trope. Because he's so open with her and acknowledges that she is her own person and he has no claim on her, she is able to see more deeply into him instead of just friendzoning him. I dig it, is what I'm trying to say.

I agree- I don’t completely follow the whole Hailey Queen/Alpha thing, but in my defense I wasn’t paying that much attention.

I’m not really sure about why I’m so bored by the wolves, it could be a few things…..

I’ve never been a Hailey fan from back in TVD days and she only recently has moved into the “barely tolerable” category for me.

While I agree Jackson seems like a good guy, I’m usually not too intrigued by his type.  I mean, if my friend is looking for a boyfriend he’s my dude, but on TV with his main interaction being Hailey… not too much. 

That’s probably why I love all the scenes with the Mickaelson’s, they’re ALL a bunch of assholes!

I do reserve the right to change my mind if Jackson/the wolves start interacting with other characters…. Heck, I adore Aidan and Josh!

Ha, add in Davina and Josh's Romeo and that's the show I want.

OMG! Totally! This imaginary show is getting better and better! lol

I don't really care for Hayley, her pronunciation of "wolves" kills me every time and I still remember how she allowed Klaus to murder 13 (or was it 12?) hybrids just to find out who her parents were on TVD (and of course, nobody ever brings that up and now she's one of the big heroes of the show). I don't especially care for Jackson either, but something about the storyline makes me interested, and I'm curious to see where they go with it. Maybe Klaus will kill Jackson and Hayley will go nuts and gather the pack to take him out. I just want a killing spree, dammit! 

• Love 1
Elijah didn't lie about killing Tatia. The Elijah who has spent the last 1,000 years with Klaus didn't intentionally keep that from him. The newly-vamped, in-shock, grief-stricken, devastated Elijah made a quick decision, and had no way of undoing that decision later.

I completely agree.  Elijah has only "kept this secret" for a few weeks at most, ever since Esther unlocked the Red Door.  Hell, I'm not convinced he actually did kill Tatia.  At the time Esther revealed the so-called truth, she was tormenting him to try to get him to agree to being swapped out of his vamp body into a rando-human.  I figured it was a lie + false memories she made up to help with her case. 

• Love 1

Poor Tatia's kid. S/he was orphaned because of the stupid Mikaelsons, I guess? The baby's father was already dead, I think, seeing as Tatia was a widow.

There are so many people who were more affected by Tatia's death (namely, Tatia!) than Klaus, a rando from the village who had a crush on her, that I just honestly don't understand what he's even forgiving Elijah for. But whatever, these people don't make sense. Klaus is so high maintenance that Elijah just automatically worries about his reaction, I guess?!

When Haley was like "oh hell no!" on the truth thing, the first thought that popped into my head was that she didn't want Jackson to find out about the Great Hybrid Massacre of TVD.  Hope didn't.t even cross my mind until later.  If they go through with this and Haley's little massacre DOESN'T come to light, I guess I will have to officially accept that the writers are retconning it.

• Love 1

When Haley was like "oh hell no!" on the truth thing, the first thought that popped into my head was that she didn't want Jackson to find out about the Great Hybrid Massacre of TVD.  Hope didn't.t even cross my mind until later.  If they go through with this and Haley's little massacre DOESN'T come to light, I guess I will have to officially accept that the writers are retconning it.

That makes a whole lot more sense than him finding out about Hope.  I cant imagine that Jackson wouldn't be able to keep her existence to himself.

I think that the vampires helping Hayley marrying Jackson is a long term bad idea.  Vampires and werewolves hate each other and if werewolves should get access to Hayley's abilities, the vampire community is finished.  And then if a werewolf from Jackson's pack should perform a mystical marriage with another werewolf pack and so on, it could lead to hybrid-level werewolves that could easily kill a vampire.