Type keyword(s) to search

Hallmark Movies: Small Town Royalty Magically Celebrating Rekindled Love! - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 6/10/2017 at 11:06 PM, pigs-in-space said:

I really enjoyed The Perfect Bride.  I probably wouldn't have liked it as much if the two leads weren't as charming, but they were.  I like the two of them on When Calls the Heart, so it was nice to see them in a modern setting.

I also liked The Perfect Bride.   The leads were great, and I'm one who has given up on When Calls the Heart.  That show has become syrupy goo, and Rosemary is too annoying for words.   So I didn't have high hopes for the movie, but Pascale is 99% less annoying when she's not doing her Rosemary character.

• Love 1

I enjoyed The Perfect Bride as well. I have warmed up to Pascale's character on When Calls the Heart even though I find the show so dull and saccharine. I used to watch a Canadian show called Arctic Air which Pascale was a main character so I liked her as a actress. The actress who played the sister has been in a few Hallmark movies, but I still refer to her as Gilda from iZombie.

• Love 1

I enjoyed The Perfect Bride. I especially liked that Jenna-- Kavan Smith's fiancee-- wasn't a bad guy. She had flaws and did a lousy thing or two-- but instead of a villain-- she was just someone who discovered she wanted different things in a partner.  When they broke up-- you still saw how they would have gotten together-- they just didn't work long term.

I gave up on When Calls the Heart after season 2-- it has ventured into super saccharine territory. 

superficial note: I didn't get why Pascale's character was almost always in blazers when not in work out gear.  (or dressed for a wedding)Seems an odd fashion choice for someone in an athletic profession

• Love 4

Just finished the Wedding March movies back to back. I have to say the new one felt like a pilot for a series. Are they making it into a series?  Can't say I really loved it but it did kind of address everything that we say about other movies: they only knew each other (or reconnected) a short time, the relationship might. Not work out. There was too little affection or love, the relationship was just too atagonistic 

1 hour ago, Aliconehead said:

Are they making it into a series?

I was Googling out of random curiosity earlier this evening to see if the daughters were played by the same actresses in the original movie.  I couldn't find that information as the IMDb page wasn't updated but I did stumble across and article that said they had just finished filming the third movie in this series.

So it's not a TV show (for now) but it is a movie series.  After tonight's episode, I do think that's a mistake. I really enjoyed the first movie and liked how it ended but in an effort to make it a series, it feels like they went backwards as a couple.  And they didn't move forward all that much in this.  As a result, this movie hinged too much on the random couple who was getting married and who I had very little investment in.

• Love 2
(edited)

I enjoyed the Perfect Bride- I was wondering why the leads had such an easy chemistry between each other and didn't realize they were in When Calls the Heart. It was actually funny, and the fiancé wasn't a bad person. I also liked seeing the sister since she was good on iZombie. Definitely a rewatchable movie. 

I watched Stop the Wedding again and still enjoy it. I get sad watching Alan Thicke, but the chemistry was so good between the leads. I also like that they both acknowledged that as unbelievable as it is, they did fall in love in such a short time. 

Edited by twoods
  • Love 3

Good grief, Wedding March 2 was so bad.   There was no romantic chemistry between the leads at all.  In fact, Jack seemed downright hostile at times.   He's not the world's best actor, but maybe dial back the venom a little.   And Josie's over bleached hair drove me crazy.   Was that supposed to look good?  

If this is going to be a series, or series of movies, I'm probably done.

• Love 1

I deleted Wedding March 2 without watching. Might try again at a later time.

I'm trying to watch Framed for Murder: A Fixer Upper Mystery. The scenery is nice. The acting so far though..... ?

16 hours ago, Jaded said:

I'm trying to watch Framed for Murder: A Fixer Upper Mystery. The scenery is nice. The acting so far though..... ?

But--but--it has Colin Ferguson! Of course, I love that man so much I watched him in Lake Placid 3, one of the cheesiest movies ever made (although he classed it up, don't get me wrong), so maybe you shouldn't listen to me after all... 

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, kirinan said:

But--but--it has Colin Ferguson! Of course, I love that man so much I watched him in Lake Placid 3, one of the cheesiest movies ever made (although he classed it up, don't get me wrong), so maybe you shouldn't listen to me after all... 

He was the best actor IMHO in the whole HMM movie so his character kinda stuck out like a sore thumb. That lady that played the villain was terrible especially during her final scenes.

• Love 1
(edited)

Tried to watch Love on the Sidelines (QB and personal assistant fall in love) and I couldn't last 30 minutes. The actress was fine, but the lead actor was terrible. He was stiff and wooden and they had zero chemistry. There are cheesier movies I could waste my time on. 

I'm kind of excited about this week's movie "My Favorite Wedding" because I love both Paul Greene and Maggie Lawson. I hope they have good chemistry. Im also looking forward to "Love at the Shore" because I liked Peter Porte in the Cinderella Christmas movie on ION and Amanda Righetti was awesome in the Mentalist. 

Edited by twoods
  • Love 2

I finally watched Destination Wedding.  I liked it ok but what was really cracking me up was there was not a bikini to be seen the entire movie.  They would have pool scenes at a resort in Mexico and every extra in the background was wearing a one piece.  Is hallmark not allowed to show women wearing bikinis?

• Love 3

Just finished My Favorite Wedding, I have to say this one is one of my favorites in a long time. Maggie Lawson can actually act and did not spend the whole time smiling or overacting.  Paul Green was great as always. Yes the story was predictable but you could actually seeing the relationship progress from antagonistic to friendly to falling for each other. All in all I really enjoyed it. 

• Love 3

I missed the first 20-30 minutes, which I'll catch up on today (thank goodness for DVRs). But I saw the rest of it and really liked it. Besides the fact that Paul Greene always, always reliably makes everything he's in better and would have chemistry with a tree stump, I liked Maggie Lawson, who I've never seen before. For the most part everyone acted like adults, even when she dumped the boyfriend. Paul and Maggie were very good together, and their friendship/relationship grew believably. I almost didn't even need the kiss at the end--I knew they were in it for the long haul.  I would definitely watch this one again!

• Love 1
On 21.06.2017. at 6:05 AM, twoods said:

Tried to watch Love on the Sidelines (QB and personal assistant fall in love) and I couldn't last 30 minutes. The actress was fine, but the lead actor was terrible. He was stiff and wooden and they had zero chemistry. There are cheesier movies I could waste my time on. 

I thought they were both horrible. He was a cardboard cutout, and she sounded like an alien learning how Earthlings spoke. There was something so unnatural about her speech patterns.

• Love 2

I think Paul and Maggie elevated last night's movie and therefore it was enjoyable.  I just wish someone would ask the script before filming "does this movie really need one of the leads to be in a relationship to work?" before deciding to include one.  The boyfriend literally posed no obstacle other than making Maggie's character look like a bit of a flake--as pretty much all people who are involved in relationships on the verge of an engagement but decide someone else is the love of their lives tend to do in these movies.

Having the two with different outlooks on life get to know each other over the course of the weekend is enough.  The boyfriend didn't even really pose much of an obstacle.

• Love 4
(edited)

The falling in love with another person while having a significant other trope is so tiresome. I agree that most of these movies don't need to have that obstacle. Most of my favorite Hallmark movies have both leads being single (Love on the Air, Snow Bride, Let it Snow, etc. Even Nine Lives of Christmas had the lead break up with his gf before he fell in love . )

That being said, I absolutely loved last night's movie. Glad that it lived up to my expectations since the leads are usually great in whatever they do. Maggie Lawson is  really good on the tv show Psych if you've never seen her before.

Below is a good article of Maggie talking about the movie and Psych. She said they didn't even do a chemistry read. I wonder if Hallmark doesn't do this for any of their movies, which would explain why so many leads have zero chemistry.

https://parade.com/581224/paulettecohn/maggie-lawson-talks-my-favorite-wedding-and-psych-the-movie-reunion/

Edited by twoods
  • Love 2

This isn't about a specific Hallmark movie, but about their website. It drives me absolutely insane that you can't go to the site without a video autoplaying. If I wanted to see a preview, I am perfectly capable of clicking on a video myself. Having the same video autoplay everytime I change the date on the schedule drives me crazy.

• Love 9

My Favorite Wedding was my favorite of the weddings in June movies.  Paul Greene would have chemistry with a rock but I liked the pairing with Maggie Lawson.

There were some weird editing moments like when Maggie was having dinner with the bride but was suddenly walking back to her cabin with Paul.  When did they run into each other?

The Wedding March 2 was just weird.  And unfortunately there will be a 3rd?  Will the main characters actually like each other this time?

The Perfect Bride was great but I think it was because of the easy chemistry with Kevan and Pascale.

Destination Wedding was fun with the main characters and the destination but that was it.

I wonder if we'll see more sequels since so many of these movies end with the mains dancing at someone else's wedding.

1 hour ago, GaT said:

This isn't about a specific Hallmark movie, but about their website. It drives me absolutely insane that you can't go to the site without a video autoplaying. If I wanted to see a preview, I am perfectly capable of clicking on a video myself. Having the same video autoplay everytime I change the date on the schedule drives me crazy.

I mostly avoid there site due to that reason. It's not even good for looking up the cast lists for their movies since they only list the two main leads usually.

• Love 4
29 minutes ago, scenicbyway said:

I wonder if we'll see more sequels since so many of these movies end with the mains dancing at someone else's wedding.

There are at least two coming.  There's a sequel to All of My Heart and I there was talk of a Christmas sequel for Summer Villa.   I don't know if it'll happen but it feels like some of these movies were filmed without much fanfare until "surprise!  there's a sequel."  But what they did with Wedding March II gives me pause.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, kirinan said:

I missed the first 20-30 minutes, which I'll catch up on today (thank goodness for DVRs). But I saw the rest of it and really liked it.

I think you missed the clunkiest moments (the set-up, the exposition, the boyfriend, and so on) of the script, so not a big loss. Aside from that, and from a couple of just as clunky bits here and there, it was an okay movie, mostly due to the very likeable lead couple (which is not surprising, given the actors involved). Take those two out, and I probably wouldn't bother with it (but then again, aside from the Christmas movies, I'm very picky as to which Hallmark & co tv movies I bother to watch, since they can be so tropey & repetitive).

• Love 1
(edited)

The only thing that bothered me about the movie was the stressed out bride. She was absolutely nutty and crazy. It seemed as if she freaked out over everything and had zero responsibilities, and her poor dad was so stressed. It was obvious he was planning a surprise for her, but I guess she had to be crazy so Tess could be the level headed one.

Edited by twoods
10 hours ago, twoods said:

The only thing that bothered me about the movie was the stressed out bride. She was absolutely nutty and crazy. It seemed as if she freaked out over everything and had zero responsibilities, and her poor dad was so stressed. It was obvious he was planning a surprise for her, but I guess she had to be crazy so Tess could be the level headed one.

The bridezilla attitudes of the brides in these movies is driving me nuts. I wanted to slap the brides from this week's movie and also the one from last week. It's just too over the top. 

My Favorite Wedding and The Perfect Bride were much better than The Wedding March 2. The bride was awful, Jack Wagner's character was too much of a curmudgeon and Josie's hair that was so blonde that it looked white drove me nuts. 

• Love 3
On 6/25/2017 at 5:34 PM, twoods said:

The falling in love with another person while having a significant other trope is so tiresome. I agree that most of these movies don't need to have that obstacle. Most of my favorite Hallmark movies have both leads being single (Love on the Air, Snow Bride, Let it Snow, etc. Even Nine Lives of Christmas had the lead break up with his gf before he fell in love . )

All About Valentine (I think that's the one, with the cute dog Busby) handled this trope really well and even used it as a nice conflict and characterization later on in the story. I love that one. I agree, though. Most of the time it comes off forced and cliche.

On 6/25/2017 at 8:02 PM, Irlandesa said:

There are at least two coming.  There's a sequel to All of My Heart and I there was talk of a Christmas sequel for Summer Villa.   I don't know if it'll happen but it feels like some of these movies were filmed without much fanfare until "surprise!  there's a sequel."  But what they did with Wedding March II gives me pause.

Me too. I noticed Hallmark writers tend to create drama where there is none in their sequels and tv shows just for filler time. They could easily move the romances along without using the old non-communication or "hey, they're talking to someone else, so I need to go" trope. I was excited for the Summer Villa and All of My Heart sequels, but knowing how they handled the Wedding March makes me worried. I feel like it'll be back to square one where the leads are doing the "I-hate-you-back-and-forth-romance-dance" instead of growing together and overcoming obstacles as a couple.

• Love 3

For those that want to check out a decent Pixl movie, Hallmark is airing "Romantically Speaking" Sunday morning. It has Heather Morris from Glee in it and was pretty good, plus there was diversity!

• Love 1

Adding to my hate of the Hallmark Movie website. I decided to mute my sound so that I wouldn't hear the stupid auto playing videos, but every time I took my cursor off of the sound symbol with the X, it would unmute! I had to play around with my sound to get it muted because they apparently have the site setup to not let you mute the sound. I've never seen anything like this before, so I have no idea how they do it. I decided that it was time to let them know what I think of their website, so I clicked on the feedback link, & it brought me to FAQs instead. I guess they decided that they didn't want to hear any real feedback, so you can't even contact them. They suck.

• Love 1
(edited)

I am so tired of those Gold Crown Christmas movie commercials with Catherine Bell. The clips they use in them are of her making weird faces and she sounds weird in the one where they have her talking more. The sheer number of times these commercials come on when I'm watching Monk makes me want to scream. I think hearing the Christmas music each time doesn't help either since it reminds me that CIJ is coming. I'm also reminded of the fact that over two months straight of those Christmas movies taking up both channels save the time they carve out for Home & Family on the regular Hallmark channel is inching closer each day.

Edited by Jaded
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Jaded said:

I am so tired of those Gold Crown Christmas movie commercials with Catherine Bell. The clips they use in them are of her making weird faces and she sounds weird in the one where they have her talking more. The sheer number of times these commercials come on when I'm watching Monk makes me want to scream. I think hearing the Christmas music each time doesn't help either since it reminds me that CIJ is coming. I'm also reminded of the fact that over two months straight of those Christmas movies taking up both channels save the time they carve out for Home & Family on the regular Hallmark channel is inching closer each day.

I really do not understand what Hallmarks's obsession with Christmas is. They do Christmas in July, they start the Christmas movies in October, why are there so many Christmas movies? 

• Love 6

It's their bread and butter. Their highest rated nights are during Christmas movies, so they are milking it for as long as they can. I like some of their movies so will keep an eye out for the ones I want to DVR. 

Catherine Bell's face is downright scary now. I can't even watch her show and new movies because it terrifies me. I know I'm being shallow, but I don't care.

• Love 4

So I have been recording and binge-watching some of the less recent (aka before this year) Hallmark Channel movies, since I haven't really gotten into them until now.

My favorites so far:

-Autumn in the Vineyard: I found Rachel Leigh Cook pretty charming/sassy in this, and I liked Ali Liebert as her best friend.  The male lead reminded me a lot of Ryan Lochte at first (not a good thing), but I quickly got over that.

-A Taste of Romance: I liked the two leads, and that the main obstacle was something that was actually understandable, yet they dealt with it in a mature way.  And I like Bailee Madison, who was cute in it.

-Perfect Match: Danica McKellar and Paul Greene are both charming, and I liked them together.  

-Stop the Wedding: Another one where I liked the leads a lot, and could understand why their conflict occurred.  I liked that their real concern was for their parents and wanting to protect them.

My least favorites:
-Ms. Matched: I really like Alexa Pena Vega, but I found the male lead unattractive and boring.  The continuity on this one was also so bad that I couldn't just handwave it away (first she's read his book, then she hasn't, then oh look, she's reading it again!  arg!), and the idea that an established wedding planner would pay upfront for a client's wedding vendors without any protection is ridiculous.

-Appetite for Love: Andrew Walker is adorable, but man, they just keep putting him with actresses that I just don't care for, and Taylor Cole is one of them.  And then bright blonde hair with the dark eyebrows is just my personal pet peeve.  I also just didn't buy that the female lead would actually want to move back to her hometown.  Cute cat in it though.

-The Perfect Catch: Seriously, why do they do this with their lead actresses eyebrows????  One bright spot was I totally bought Andrew Walker as a professional ball player (although to be fair, I know next to nothing about baseball).  I also found the kid in this one really annoying.

-Bridal Wave: Sorry Andrew Walker.  :(  This one wasn't actually one where I disliked his female costar (I like Arielle Kebbel), I just found the plot boring and tuned out after forty-five minutes or so.

I've got a bunch more set up to record in the next couple of weeks.  My goal: find one Andrew Walker movie that I don't dislike.  Keep your fingers crossed for me.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, pigs-in-space said:

My goal: find one Andrew Walker movie that I don't dislike.  Keep your fingers crossed for me.

Please keep us updated - I LOVE Andrew Walker, and will watch anything he's in...no matter how awful I. Can't. Stop. Myself. THE PRETTY.....

• Love 8
(edited)
9 hours ago, GaT said:

I really do not understand what Hallmarks's obsession with Christmas is. They do Christmas in July, they start the Christmas movies in October, why are there so many Christmas movies? 

There are people out there who are absolutely obsessed with the Xmas movies even to the point of begging Hallmark on social media for a channel that only shows them 24hrs a day. 

Edited by Jaded
  • Love 1
(edited)

Pigs-in-space- I never realized that the movies you mentioned that you didn't like all have Andrew Walker in them. I also didn't like those movies, but I've liked him in some other stuff (like the ice skating movie with Julie Berman and the prom movie where he was a teacher.) Those movies were just really boring. I never realized how many freaking movies he is in- I'm guessing at least three per year? Paul Greene seems to be cranking them out as well, but I've mostly enjoyed the ones he has been in.

The Christmas in July premiere movie looks terrible (The Christmas Cure). You figure that with all this promoting, they would pick a decent movie to showcase. Maybe it will surprise me like The Perfect Bride and the boot camp movie, where the previews didn't look good but ended up enjoying them.

Edited by twoods
4 minutes ago, twoods said:

The Christmas in July premiere movie looks pretty terrible. You figure that with all this promoting, they would pick a decent movie to showcase.

The commercials make it seem terrible and depressing. Present day Hallmark isn't really known for their thoughtful and thought provoking movies anymore so the way they chose to advertise that CIJ movie seems out of place. It comes across like it deals with the seriousness of deployment the problem with that is the movies they put out now don't deal well with things like that anymore. It makes me sad sometimes that they used the popularity of so many great "Hall of Fame" movies to be able to churn out movies like ones we get now where there are the far and few that are at the re-watchable level.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, twoods said:

Pigs-in-space- I never realized that the movies you mentioned that you didn't like all have Andrew Walker in them. I also didn't like those movies, but I've liked him in some other stuff (like the ice skating movie with Julie Berman and the prom movie where he was a teacher.) Those movies were just really boring. I never realized how many freaking movies he is in- I'm guessing at least three per year? Paul Greene seems to be cranking them out as well, but I've mostly enjoyed the ones he has been in.

To be fair, there was one on my least favorites list that didn't have him in it.  ?  And he was the best part of the movies, so we'll see how it goes.  I'm surprised Hallmark hasn't made him a regular in one of their series - I saw him on When Calls the Heart but that was a pretty short stint.

I really like Paul Greene too, and so far his movies have been more hit than miss for me.  Kevan Smith is probably my favorite though - I'm a sucker for a good sense of humor.

11 hours ago, saoirse said:

Please keep us updated - I LOVE Andrew Walker, and will watch anything he's in...no matter how awful I. Can't. Stop. Myself. THE PRETTY.....

Will definitely be back, hopefully with better reviews!

• Love 1
On 7/3/2017 at 5:11 PM, GaT said:

It's an easy money grab for them. I wish they'd do some Halloween movies again beyond The Good Witch since they do nothing in October until the Christmas movies start. Also there's plenty of Thanksgiving themed cozy mysteries that they could do a Thanksgiving themed mystery movie.

They're giving Candace Cameron Bure a dual role when they could've just called up her friends Tia and Tamera  who are well known amoung the same audience they target and actual twins.

Candace will be starring in Christmas Sister Swap

Synopsis: Just because they are identical does not mean these twins even like each other. Estranged twin sisters get together for an obligatory pre-Christmas lunch, a year after their mother died. Both women are unhappy and frustrated with their own lives. Though not close, each is envious of the other's life. What's a twin to do but take advantage of this? And who would be the wiser? They do what any identical twins in need of new outlooks would do -- they swap lives until Christmas Day. And by doing so, each woman discovers the true meaning of her life and gains a deeper perspective and appreciation for what she already had.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, In2You said:

It's an easy money grab for them. 

Indeed.

Those Christmas movies are relatively cheap to produce, and they basically have no competition in their niche. Even better, they sell very well worldwide.

Here in France, most regular Hallmark/Lifetime/PixL/UpTV productions end up airing (sometimes even before their US airdate) every weekend day, around 2PM, on a big TV station, and they consistently pull decent ratings (for a modest cost).

But when December comes, three or four different networks compete for viewership & attention by airing most of the Hallmark (& co) Christmas catalogue from the past 15+ years, during what is basically a ratings bonanza for them : in November, it goes from one Xmas movie/day to a couple/day (one before noon, one at 2pm), and in December, it's two in the morning, two in the afternoon, and sometimes a last one at 10.30pm. Basically, during the last two weeks of December, we've got around ten/twelve Hallmark & Hallmark-type Christmas movies each day, all stations included, and their popularity is growing more and more on a yearly basis, despite less-than-glowing reviews.

1 hour ago, In2You said:

I wish they'd do some Halloween movies again beyond The Good Witch since they do nothing in October until the Christmas movies start.

Yeah, I remember the Ashley Williams one, not too long ago (2015, i think), but I guess they've realized that airing a Halloween romance around Halloween brings in much less viewers than starting the Christmas season around October 25th.

On 7/5/2017 at 8:47 PM, In2You said:

It's an easy money grab for them. I wish they'd do some Halloween movies again beyond The Good Witch since they do nothing in October until the Christmas movies start. Also there's plenty of Thanksgiving themed cozy mysteries that they could do a Thanksgiving themed mystery movie.

They're giving Candace Cameron Bure a dual role when they could've just called up her friends Tia and Tamera  who are well known amoung the same audience they target and actual twins.

Candace will be starring in Christmas Sister Swap

Synopsis: Just because they are identical does not mean these twins even like each other. Estranged twin sisters get together for an obligatory pre-Christmas lunch, a year after their mother died. Both women are unhappy and frustrated with their own lives. Though not close, each is envious of the other's life. What's a twin to do but take advantage of this? And who would be the wiser? They do what any identical twins in need of new outlooks would do -- they swap lives until Christmas Day. And by doing so, each woman discovers the true meaning of her life and gains a deeper perspective and appreciation for what she already had.

Oh man. Talk about missed opportunity. I would have loved to have seen Tia and Tamera in this movie!

• Love 3

I'm somewhat baffled by Hallmark's programming during the seasons this year. I'm seeing autumn movies in the summer, winter themed movies during the spring. It's kind of weird. I also notice a few wedding themed movies of past missing from the June Weddings roster. Maybe one showing of Nearlyweds, finally some more showings of Wedding Daze which was missing last year, no Backyard Wedding, no Bridal Wave, no Flower Girl, and I can't remember seeing Love Again.  

Also caught a mention of Holly Robinson Peete's mystery series to premiere this October. Woo hoo.

The wedding movie For Better or for Worse was on Saturday morning and it's one of the few wedding movies I've been able to watch more then once. Even if the leads kids who are looking to get married after a few months of dating and them wanting to rent a farm seem kinda out there. I like it because the main characters are grown ups and their kids storyline is kinda secondary. 

When reading everyone's comments about Destination Wedding from last month I was glad I stuck with my decision not to watch. Part of the reason I made that decision was Alexa PenaVega and the way she went on and on about how the set was so baby friendly in every appearance she made on a show to promote it. How she was able to care, feed and whatnot during breaks in filming. I'm sure she's a happy first time Mom but she went on about it all more then the movie itself to the point where I wondered if I may have been distracted by all of that if I had tried to watch. Something about her bugs me too besides all the baby stuff.

20 hours ago, MissyPoo said:

Oh man. Talk about missed opportunity. I would have loved to have seen Tia and Tamera in this movie!

And its been a little while since they've done a project together so Hallmark could've gotten some buzz from that.

• Love 2
On 7/9/2017 at 6:13 PM, In2You said:

And its been a little while since they've done a project together so Hallmark could've gotten some buzz from that.

So true. I notice people even suggesting them in another Facebook fan group so the demand is there.  

I can't believe Double Wedding was 7 years ago. Minus a few 'adult' jokes, curses, and references, that movie could have easily fit into Hallmark's staple (only with slightly more realism).

• Love 1

Alexa PenaVega is half white, they make sure she looks as white as possible and Hallmark has her playing  characters that are not portrayed as hispanic at all yet call it diversity.  And they're doing  one diverse movie out what 50 a year?

http://thepcprinciple.com/?p=10828

Michelle Vicary, who is the Executive Vice President, Programming & Network Publicity Crown Media Family Networks in reply to  a question about diversity

Michelle Vicary – We understand that diversity is as important an issue and part of programming as certainly making great content and we are very focused on it. We are excited about several projects that we have coming up soon. We just had Alexa PenaVega in Destination Wedding for us, Al Roker’s mystery movie series starring Holly Robinson Peete gets its debut this October. I am beyond thrilled that we are in business with Judy Smith, the original Washington D.C. “fixer” that Shonda Rhimes based the ever-popular Olivia Pope and “Scandal” on, so we are looking at a lot of the talent that speaks to our audience. And you’re right, diversity is so important, and we look forward to making as many top programs from as many top people in the industry as we can.

• Love 2

Hallmark sucks when it comes to diversity.  But I want to point out that Alexa PenaVega is a Latina, which is an ethnicity, not a race -- she could be all white, or part white, or not white at all (just like me!) depending on her background and what terminology people use.

Honestly, I don't see what's so hard about diversifying the casts of all these movies.  I find it hard to believe it would affect their bottom line, assuming they keep to the values and vibe of their brand.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, beadgirl said:

Hallmark sucks when it comes to diversity.  But I want to point out that Alexa PenaVega is a Latina, which is an ethnicity, not a race -- she could be all white, or part white, or not white at all (just like me!) depending on her background and what terminology people use.

Honestly, I don't see what's so hard about diversifying the casts of all these movies.  I find it hard to believe it would affect their bottom line, assuming they keep to the values and vibe of their brand.

Alexa's  mother is a white non Latina. Her dad is Colombian.  She's played many Latina roles however the ones on Hallmark I don't consider them to be when there's nothing to indicate her characters are Latina.

Hallmarks previous excuse about the lack of diversity was filming in Canada. As of there  are only white actors in Canada and their leads aren't Americans who reside in California.

3 hours ago, In2You said:

She's played many Latina roles however the ones on Hallmark I don't consider them to be when there's nothing to indicate her characters are Latina.

But, isn't this the way it should work? A Latina (or an Asian, or Indian, or whatever) plays a character without it mattering to the character? Why does she have to play specifically Latina roles, why can't she just be the female lead?

• Love 2
3 hours ago, In2You said:

Hallmarks previous excuse about the lack of diversity was filming in Canada. As of there  are only white actors in Canada and their leads aren't Americans who reside in California.

It's almost comical the way they've dragged their feet on diversity for so long considering the excuses they've given. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, GaT said:

But, isn't this the way it should work? A Latina (or an Asian, or Indian, or whatever) plays a character without it mattering to the character? Why does she have to play specifically Latina roles, why can't she just be the female lead?

Because cultural differences do exist and are key factors in the way a person is raised. Their morals, traditions, thr foods they eat, languages they speak,etc. The solution is not to pretend these differences don't exist it's to make sure it's not the only character attritubute.  You can be the female lead and still have your heritage be a part of the character.

• Love 4