Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,
  • Start Topic

12 hours ago, Leeds said:

Americans I met while travelling in SE Asia would rave about New Yorker cartoons and Saturday Night Live.  I've now lived here (in The States) for 35 years and I still don't get why.

It's very dry humor. They were much funnier a few decades ago. My favorite was the one where a wealthy, older woman is standing on her mansion's veranda, singing "Some day my prince will come". Down below, huddled in the shrubs, a hobo has a gleam in his tired old eyes. Another favorite is the truck (the kind that transports gas, oil, whatever), speeding down the interstate with a sign on the side: Cheap white wine. Most of the cartoons had fun at the expense of the silk stocking crowd or the upscale suburbanites. SNL was funny from the start in '75, up through the time when Will Ferrell Cheri Oteri, Molly Shannon, Chris Kattan, Fred Armisen, etc., left the show. Keenan Thompson is still there. I read a while back that whenever a skit is dying, the camera swings over to catch Keenan's expressions. 

Edited by annzeepark914
  • Like 1
On 3/27/2023 at 12:40 PM, PRgal said:

I just noticed that this topic now has a subheading.  

3 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

So does Chitchat...no idea why it was needed. Aren't Chitchat & Pet Peeves the most popular topics anyway? I never knew what I was missing in life until I discovered these two sites 🤗.

Well, I have had a low-level peeve that both Family and Online Dating had the same subheading (the good, the bad, & the ugly), so I'm glad someone has taken a look and made some updates.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1

"Stay off your feet" advice. How? Exactly how? I am alone for 12 hours a day and I work at home upstairs. 

Back in the fucking fracture boot again, for at least a month. I am even supposed to sleep in it. I didn't ask if I had to wear it in the shower because I didn't want to give the doctor the opportunity to say yes. I am so mad that I'm hovering between wanting to crawl into a hole or to push someone into one.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Hugs 6
  • Sad 6
58 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Well, I have had a low-level peeve that both Family and Online Dating had the same subheading (the good, the bad, & the ugly), so I'm glad someone has taken a look and made some updates.

Ever since this change, I’ve had to sign in everyday.  Why is that?

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
11 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

Thanks .. trying.  Nobody home there.  I’ll just go watch Jersey Housewives.  Take my mind off things.

This is my plan in a few hours.

I am trying to keep this foot situation in perspective -- I work at home, I have health insurance, there are so many delivery services, it's my left foot as opposed to my driving foot. But I am having a hard time not feeling enraged and upset. Oh, and super uncomfortable with this THING on me AGAIN.

And, again, trying to understand "stay off your feet." I have to move! And I have plans to meet my friend for dinner tomorrow -- should I not go?

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Sad 1
17 hours ago, Leeds said:

Americans I met while travelling in SE Asia would rave about New Yorker cartoons and Saturday Night Live.  I've now lived here (in The States) for 35 years and I still don't get why.

A few decades ago (or more) Saturday Night Live was very, very funny (the Chevy Chase/John Belushi/Gilda Radner era) and fearless. In my opinion that went away and now its just the same self-congratulatory comedy you get almost everywhere.

I don't get the appeal of The New Yorker cartoons at all (a pet peeve, actually....since it seems like its another example of the media being so NYC centric that the NYC point of view is the n'est plus ultra even if no one outside NYC enjoys it), but there are often good long articles worth perusing.

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

This is my plan in a few hours.

I am trying to keep this foot situation in perspective -- I work at home, I have health insurance, there are so many delivery services, it's my left foot as opposed to my driving foot. But I am having a hard time not feeling enraged and upset. Oh, and super uncomfortable with this THING on me AGAIN.

And, again, trying to understand "stay off your feet." I have to move! And I have plans to meet my friend for dinner tomorrow -- should I not go?

Go.  Staying off your feet is not good either for circulation.  I’ve had spine surgery five months ago.   Still not out of the woods either, so I know how you feel.  In the house everyday is no picnic, and you have to work besides.  Better weather is a consolation now.  So sick of being in the house.  Go for dinner. 😀👍P.S.  I haven’t driven yet either.  Dreading it.

• Hugs 2

Surely the doctor can’t think I can literally stay off my feet but for using the bathroom and other biological imperatives? And foot above my heart? That will be a trick, considering I sit at a desk for several hours a day, haha! Even when I am lazing around on the couch, I’m not necessarily lying flat on my back.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Hugs 2
26 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

Surely the doctor can’t think I can literally stay off my feet but for using the bathroom and other biological imperatives? And foot above my heart? That will be a trick, considering I sit at a desk for several hours a day, haha! Even when I am lazing around on the couch, I’m not necessarily lying flat on my back.

I've been reading your posts with empathy & a bit of dread. I have plantars fascitis in my left foot & am scared stiff it might need surgery (meaning crutches, never putting foot down, using a scooter if I go out; oh please, Lord, no!!) So, what you're going through is damn bad news/warning for those of us with foot ailments. You'd think in the year 2023 there would be advances *by now* in foot therapies, treatments, etc.  I wish I had some great tips for you, but I don't. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2
1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

I've been reading your posts with empathy & a bit of dread. I have plantars fascitis in my left foot & am scared stiff it might need surgery (meaning crutches, never putting foot down, using a scooter if I go out; oh please, Lord, no!!) So, what you're going through is damn bad news/warning for those of us with foot ailments. You'd think in the year 2023 there would be advances *by now* in foot therapies, treatments, etc.  I wish I had some great tips for you, but I don't. 

I have been wondering this myself! This boot is enormous and cumbersome — my foot is like half its size — and it makes it very difficult to navigate around the house, especially the stairs. I’m sure sleeping will be fun and easy. Oh, and it makes the opposite foot and ankle feel wobbly and overworked and uneven. I’ve read a lot of accounts of people reporting new ankle, hip, and knee (and probably back) problems after having used a boot like this. 

As for your foot/feet, have to checked out Hoka shoes? After I got rid of this boot in February, I bought a pair of sneakers for walking (which I was really, really looking forward to getting back to, now that it’s getting warmer. Oh well). They’re very well reviewed and also really comfortable. 

ETA: And surely it doesn’t need to be mid calf height?! Does it? One thing (among many) that really stands out as annoying is that you can’t squat down the way you’d be able to if the boot ended at the ankle or a little above it. Some easy thing like scooping the litter boxes is now a huge pain in the ass.

Edited by TattleTeeny
1 hour ago, TattleTeeny said:

I have been wondering this myself! This boot is enormous and cumbersome — my foot is like half its size — and it makes it very difficult to navigate around the house, especially the stairs. I’m sure sleeping will be fun and easy. Oh, and it makes the opposite foot and ankle feel wobbly and overworked and uneven. I’ve read a lot of accounts of people reporting new ankle, hip, and knee (and probably back) problems after having used a boot like this. 

As for your foot/feet, have to checked out Hoka shoes? After I got rid of this boot in February, I bought a pair of sneakers for walking (which I was really, really looking forward to getting back to, now that it’s getting warmer. Oh well). They’re very well reviewed and also really comfortable. 

ETA: And surely it doesn’t need to be mid calf height?! Does it? One thing (among many) that really stands out as annoying is that you can’t squat down the way you’d be able to if the boot ended at the ankle or a little above it. Some easy thing like scooping the litter boxes is now a huge pain in the ass.

Do we need to move this discussion to Health?  I'll go to Health to add some comments re: the wonderful world of foot ailments.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

"Stay off your feet" advice. How? Exactly how? I am alone for 12 hours a day and I work at home upstairs. 

Back in the fucking fracture boot again, for at least a month. I am even supposed to sleep in it. I didn't ask if I had to wear it in the shower because I didn't want to give the doctor the opportunity to say yes. I am so mad that I'm hovering between wanting to crawl into a hole or to push someone into one.

So sorry TT 😟

• Like 2

DC TSA agents could learn a few things from the agents at LaGaurdia.

I enter the airport and head straight for the TSA PRECHECK ✔️ line. The agent asks to see my boarding pass (this time I saw the “TSA PRECHECK ✔️) after i checked in online yesterday) and she told me to go straight ahead.

The TSA agent just asked for my ID, scanned it and wished me a safe flight!

If not for my gold bracelet and whatever my leather ankle boots are made of, I wouldn’t have had to remove my shoes.

But my carryon, laptop bag, and purse went through without a hitch. I didn’t have to open them for inspection.

Now that’s more like it!

Of course the flight is delayed by a half hour. And OF COURSE I didn’t get that notification until AFTER I asked the car service to pick me up at 3 instead of 3:30, because the ticket said to arrive TWO hours before departure. And weirdly, it’s only a 40 minute flight from DC to NY and vice versa (I flew from JFK to Dulles many years ago when I was returning from India), but this return flight is about and hour and a half!

By the time I land, grab a taxi to take me to my office garage where my car is, it’ll be 11 by the time I get home!

Good thing I’m already packed and set to go!

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, TattleTeeny said:

Not one but two people at my temp job have used "kk" in Slack conversations.

I had to look up what that means.  I was not, however, interested enough to look up why one would use it instead of "OK".

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

Looked it up so basically short for "ok cool".  And it's been around for years.  I've never come across this before though.  A few of the cites I glanced at seemed to feel "kk" filled a real need.  One place said it was "much shorter" than typing out okay.  So I have to ask, who does this?  Don't most people write ok?

Edited by Elizabeth Anne
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Not one but two people at my temp job have used "kk" in Slack conversations. It makes me feel rage.

Are they from Asia?  People from there or have a strong connection there use different terms online.  They call social media influencers something else (I forgot what) as well.  And back in the day (like back in the world of ICQ and MSN Messenger), they used different emoticons too.

• Useful 1

I get home from work and dont feel like talking much as is.  Then my dad doesn't talk too anyone all day so I get stuck listening to all his thoughts about everything.  

I mentioned getting a good performance review at work and he just says yeah that's probably because youre the least of their concerns.  

Pain in the ass.  I don't have much energy to talk to him or challenge him.  Most days all I do is listen to people without making my needs known.  

• Hugs 5
  • Fire 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, PRgal said:

Are they from Asia?  People from there or have a strong connection there use different terms online.  They call social media influencers something else (I forgot what) as well.  And back in the day (like back in the world of ICQ and MSN Messenger), they used different emoticons too.

Neither person is Asian.

• Useful 1
2 hours ago, Elizabeth Anne said:

Looked it up so basically short for "ok cool".  And it's been around for years.  I've never come across this before though.  A few of the cites I glanced at seemed to feel "kk" filled a real need.  One place said it was "much shorter" than typing out okay.  So I have to ask, who does this?  Don't most people write ok?

Many people now just use k. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I enter the airport and head straight for the TSA PRECHECK ✔️ line. The agent asks to see my boarding pass (this time I saw the “TSA PRECHECK ✔️) after i checked in online yesterday) and she told me to go straight ahead.

The TSA agent just asked for my ID, scanned it and wished me a safe flight!

Yahoo! Glad the issue was resolved! 

5 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

If not for my gold bracelet and whatever my leather ankle boots are made of, I wouldn’t have had to remove my shoes.

Was it a scanner or a metal detector (the pre lines I've gone through have both)? I have a single tank top, just a basic one from Target, that always pops on the scanner and my upper right shoulder has to be wanded. I have multiple tank tops from that brand but only my maroon tank pop. It's the weirdest thing. I stopped wearing it on flights.

@Elizabeth Anne I'm responding to your question over in chit-chat. 

• Mind Blown 1
43 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

Was it a scanner or a metal detector (the pre lines I've gone through have both)?

It was a metal detector. At least I didn't get a body pat down.

Just arrived back home in MD 20 minutes ago. Just need to switch purses and transfer make-up to the hand baggage as well as my contact lens stuff.

I'll be leaving early in the morning to my friend's place around 6:30; he lives 10 minutes away from Dulles.

"See" y'all in a couple of weeks!

• Love 11
35 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

It was a metal detector. At least I didn't get a body pat down.

Just arrived back home in MD 20 minutes ago. Just need to switch purses and transfer make-up to the hand baggage as well as my contact lens stuff.

I'll be leaving early in the morning to my friend's place around 6:30; he lives 10 minutes away from Dulles.

"See" y'all in a couple of weeks!

Have a blast, eat all the food and have all the fun!!!

• Like 2
  • Applause 3
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, PRgal said:

Do you know if they worked there or lived there as, say, Third Culture Kids?

I don't know. But to be clear, these two people are not the only people I have ever noticed using "kk" in this way. I was just noting that 2 people did this thing in this one day.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, BlueSkies said:

I get home from work and dont feel like talking much as is.  Then my dad doesn't talk too anyone all day so I get stuck listening to all his thoughts about everything.  

I mentioned getting a good performance review at work and he just says yeah that's probably because youre the least of their concerns.  

Pain in the ass.  I don't have much energy to talk to him or challenge him.  Most days all I do is listen to people without making my needs known.  

My husband is self-employed and works in the home appliance repair business, he talks to customers about their issues and solutions but it's not the same as kabitzing with a coworker. I work in an office in a support position where I deal with people all day. When I get home all I want is silence but my husband wants to talk about his day. I don't have the heart to tell him to stop talking so I just listen, nod and comment at the appropriate time hoping it ends quickly. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 6
  • Love 2
16 hours ago, Elizabeth Anne said:

So I have to ask, who does this?  Don't most people write ok?

My teenage daughter has been responding to my texts with kk for at least a couple years now. So this is likely something the kids adopted.

As for ok, and especially just k, they are apparently not a nice way to say okay. Also unacceptable to the kids is responding with 👍.

When she told me this, I switched to  just to be annoying.

Whatever. I still use the slang we adopted when I was a teenager. The only difference between then and now is that they communicate in writing so we get to see what they've come up with. If I were going to spread slang around in writing when I was a kid, it would have involved a postage stamp.

• Like 1
  • LOL 4

I read something recently about OK being "rude" (as is a period)! Luckily, the majority of the people I text are about my age and/or fellow editors (meaning they probably also don't like "k" or "kk," regardless of age).

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

I read something recently about OK being "rude" (as is a period)! Luckily, the majority of the people I text are about my age and/or fellow editors (meaning they probably also don't like "k" or "kk," regardless of age).

It seems dismissive to me to just text "k".

• Like 11
3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

It seems dismissive to me to just text "k".

Agreed, but I guess it's a case of know your audience!  For me I get tired of people texting me just to say "ok" when I've asked them something.  I don't expect to get a 4 paragraph response but more than an "ok" or "sure" would be nice.  It's better than "whatever" though!

• Like 2

Lots of posters here I really like that share similar music/movie interests...  just seemed growing up I was horribly unique in my interests.  I had to join this site to find other like minded people 

• Like 4

About 2 weeks ago I made a post saying I felt really upset on another forum I was on I felt talked over by and ganged on by some members.  

I finally went back to that thread and re-opened and one person just told me he was just trying to engage with me and my responses weren't well though out.

Possibly fair.  At the time though I thought this person was being confrontational though.  I'm still very leary of posting again anything on this site.

But yeah I'd lean toward my feelings were valid but having autism and social anxiety it's hard for me at times to I guess read in between the lines.  Many times I think people try to condescend me and be confrontational when maybe they don't?  Its all pretty confusing 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 4
44 minutes ago, BlueSkies said:

Many times I think people try to condescend me and be confrontational when maybe they don't?  Its all pretty confusing 

I maintain that written communication can easily be misinterpreted. When you aren't engaged verbally or better yet visually, you miss inflection & tone, facial movments, and many other physical cues that are better indicators of meaning and emotion.  

Abbreviated lingo and emojis can only convey so much. I mourn for the generations that will abandon physcally interpersonal communication, which I fear is on the horizon.

• Like 11
7 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I maintain that written communication can easily be misinterpreted. When you aren't engaged verbally or better yet visually, you miss inflection & tone, facial movments, and many other physical cues that are better indicators of meaning and emotion.  

Agreed.  Plus I think your own state of mind can affect how you interpret someone else's written words.  

• Like 11
3 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Agreed.  Plus I think your own state of mind can affect how you interpret someone else's written words.  

Agree.

Just someone made a comment to me they’ve been following such and such 20 years more than me.  I couldn’t tell if this user was trying to take a subtle jab there or if I’m being oversensitive 

• Like 1
On 3/30/2023 at 2:05 PM, TattleTeeny said:

Not one but two people at my temp job have used "kk" in Slack conversations. It makes me feel rage.

I've never heard or seen "kk" and don't know what Slack is, but kk is already making me cray cray, an expression I loathe.

• Like 4
  • LOL 7
On 3/30/2023 at 5:11 PM, BlueSkies said:

Do you have ear buds?  (I don't, and don't even really know how they work)?  But if you do, can you have them in without him noticing and thus not have to actually listen to your dad while just saying "uh huh" and nodding periodically?

22 hours ago, KittyMom4 said:

My husband is self-employed and works in the home appliance repair business, he talks to customers about their issues and solutions but it's not the same as kabitzing with a coworker. I work in an office in a support position where I deal with people all day. When I get home all I want is silence but my husband wants to talk about his day. I don't have the heart to tell him to stop talking so I just listen, nod and comment at the appropriate time hoping it ends quickly. 

When I went back to work after maternity leave, I would park a couple of blocks from home after work and just sit in silence for 10 minutes before taking on the onslaught of noise, chit chat, dinner prep, trying to make order out of chaos, etc.  

16 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I'll text OK, okay, or the thumbs up emoji to acknowledge that I received the text, especially if the text is an answer to a question I've asked.

I do this too, partly because I was brought up to acknowledge stuff and partly as a reaction to my wish that people that would acknowledge my own messages.

• Like 6
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, Leeds said:

I've never heard or seen "kk" and don't know what Slack is, but kk is already making me cray cray, an expression I loathe.

For some reason, one “cray” makes me laugh. But I am no fan of “cray cray” either! 

Slack is just a messenger app, with calling/video/meeting capabilities. I don’t know if it’s just for businesses, but my last few jobs used it, especially since COVID showed up. 

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 2