Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,
  • Start Topic

6 hours ago, Leeds said:

someone has an ethical or even dietary objection to a certain food, they should have no obligation to serve it.  My vegetarian child is having a large family event this summer.  They won't be serving meat.  I genuinely don't understand why is this unfair to the meat eaters.  Why can't your husband eat his steak before/after the event?

Mistake, sorry

6 hours ago, Leeds said:

Huh? You're reading an awful lot into what I wrote. Never did I say I expected home cooked dinners every night. Nor any night, for that matter. What I said was that when we visit they expect us to fend for ourselves. They don't have any foods we would normally eat and as I said my husband doesn't want to eat fast food for lunch; he's strictly a deli meat sandwich person for lunch and  a meat and potatoes guy for dinner. We can't eat out with them b/c the establishments they frequent would not appeal to my husband.. Even Sunday dinner when we have our pasta, there have to be meatballs, too.   Even when we attempted to make dinner for ourselves, our son was v

But, but, but.... I guess what you are saying is that we meat eaters should just shut up and be content with salad, veggies, grains, and maybe pasta? Why can't we have our MEAT and eat it, too?  I'm a little easier than my husband in that regard. He will never, ever go to a vegetarian or vegan place for a meal. He wants his steak! 

So, when we are invited to a function where the hosts are vegan/vegetarian they shouldn't have a meat option for us?  Doesn't seem fair to me. 

3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

My aunt and uncle moved From Washington state to Florida when they retired. He was dead in two years and my aunt hated it there. They made a killing when they sold their house up here but then the housing market in the Seattle area shot up and she couldn't afford to move back and live the way they had before. She regretted the move so much. I'm glad you were able to go back. Your husband sounds like a gem!

He is.  Why do you think I’m married for 56 years?  He gives in to me, and I give in to him.  He drove us to Disney every year and we loved it.  I told him to leave me and the kids at the gate and pick us up eight hours later, then he went to play golf.  I got what I wanted, and he got what he wanted.  When we moved to Florida, it was different, and I was really homesick, so we sold and went back to N.Y. and prices were the highest, so we bought the condo.  He has his golf course, and I see the kids nearby.  Everyone is happy.  Compromise is the key.  I love the four seasons and snow now and then.  Too hot there eleven months a year.  I missed the pine trees.

• Love 7

When your favorite thing to do is go to a concert, but you often have no one to go with. 

I have a fairly small circle, and among my friends . . .

Either our favorite music artists are different, they're on a budget, have to work, are flaky, etc. 

I have people to see pop artists with most of the time, but I don't have besties for rock shows. I know, I know, I can go alone. But I'm not sure if it's as fun, especially if you have a long drive to and from the show alone. 

I need to manifest a man who loves rock music. I listen to all genres, but I have the rest covered for the most part. 

• Love 4

Oh, god, I can relate so much to that. Most of the time I've gone to concerts, it's been with my family, because they're the only ones who know and are at all interested in the sorts of artists I like. 

And I like going with my family, mind. Just...yeah, it'd be nice to have some friends who I could go to a concert with as well, and who shared my musical tastes in general. 

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

Oh, god, I can relate so much to that. Most of the time I've gone to concerts, it's been with my family, because they're the only ones who know and are at all interested in the sorts of artists I like. 

And I like going with my family, mind. Just...yeah, it'd be nice to have some friends who I could go to a concert with as well, and who shared my musical tastes in general. 

I often go with my sister. Luckily she has the $$$ and does like many of the same artists, but not a lot of the older/nonpoppy artists. Plus her career is pretty demanding. 

• Love 2

Between my friends, I usually have someone who likes the artist/might like to give the artist a try given their musical tastes to ask the most-appropriate person if they'd like to accompany me to a given concert.  (I'm still not going to any indoor concerts and still avoiding huge outdoor gatherings, but in non-pandemic times I love a good live music show, with most of my favored artists appearing in smaller venues, but I like a few stadium shows, too.)  But if no one is interested or available, I go by myself and have just as good a time.  Yeah, I miss out on the good conversation about the shared experience on the way home, but that's no reason to skip it altogether -- the show itself is every bit as fun, and you'll always have that memory, so don't deny yourself for lack of a companion!

• Love 7
7 hours ago, Bastet said:

I go by myself and have just as good a time.  Yeah, I miss out on the good conversation about the shared experience on the way home, but that's no reason to skip it altogether -- the show itself is every bit as fun, and you'll always have that memory, so don't deny yourself for lack of a companion!

I went solo to see Elton John and I am so glad I did. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • Love 8

I've almost always gone alone to concerts and local shows and been so glad I did. Way back in 1992ish, I saw R.E.M. at the former coliseum. It was an incredible show. I had a floor (folding chair) seat, and I shimmied my way up to the fourth row. I felt like I was standing right under Michael Stipe.

I don't know how I did that with my anxiety!

In the past 20+ years, I've seen several amazing local bands (many times over) and touring singers/bands who have played in small, local venues. I've been lucky to see the immensely talented John Paul White twice; Lera Lynn was touring with him for one show, and she was fantastic.

One of my biggest regrets is not taking the opportunity to nab a $20 last-minute ticket to see the Foo Fighters a few years ago.

• Like 1
  • Love 6
(edited)

Don’t laugh.  I’m old, but I love Depesch Mode and “Sound of Silence”.  My girls go to see them whenever they are near.  The lead singer twirls around in his black leather vest, lol.  “Enjoy the Silence”.

Edited by kristen111
  • Love 4
14 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

Don’t laugh.  I’m old, but I love Depesch Mode and “Sound of Silence”.  My girls go to see them whenever they are near.  The lead singer twirls around in his black leather vest, lol.  “Enjoy the Silence”.

I used to strip to Personal Jesus. This was a long time ago.

• Wink 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
18 hours ago, Bastet said:

Between my friends, I usually have someone who likes the artist/might like to give the artist a try given their musical tastes to ask the most-appropriate person if they'd like to accompany me to a given concert.  (I'm still not going to any indoor concerts and still avoiding huge outdoor gatherings, but in non-pandemic times I love a good live music show, with most of my favored artists appearing in smaller venues, but I like a few stadium shows, too.)  But if no one is interested or available, I go by myself and have just as good a time.  Yeah, I miss out on the good conversation about the shared experience on the way home, but that's no reason to skip it altogether -- the show itself is every bit as fun, and you'll always have that memory, so don't deny yourself for lack of a companion!

I used to go alone to the ballet (in NYC) when I was in high school.  I was kind of a nerd.  No one I knew was interested.  My parents would go sometimes, but usually I'd get a bunch of Saturday matinee tickets and go alone.  I'd get cheap seats and sometimes I could move up to a better seat.

• Applause 1
  • Love 4

I've gone on my own to plays, concerts, movies and restaurants my entire adult life.  I go with friends and family too, but I don't have any issues going on my own.  It it's something I want to see and no one else is interested, I don't let that stop me.  In many respects I prefer going on my own.  The one thing I really dislike is how a person on their own is treated in restaurants - being asked in a tone of disbelief, "Just ONE?? and when they try to give me the worst table.  Or when I get looks of pity from other tables.  I'm just fine, people!  

• Like 1
  • Applause 6
  • Love 6
12 minutes ago, Calvada said:

In many respects I prefer going on my own.

That's how I am with movies.  I have one friend with whom it's a tradition to see certain horror movies together, but otherwise I mostly like to go on my own.

13 minutes ago, Calvada said:

The one thing I really dislike is how a person on their own is treated in restaurants - being asked in a tone of disbelief, "Just ONE?? and when they try to give me the worst table.  Or when I get looks of pity from other tables.  I'm just fine, people!  

One thing I exponentially prefer doing alone is traveling, which, of course, includes a lot of going to restaurants alone.  It's interesting to see the varying reactions by area; in some places, it's like they've never seen a solo diner before.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Bastet,  we think alike on so many issues.  I too love traveling on my own.  We do root for different football teams but I have the feeling that we would still enjoy watching some NFL football together.  If only we didn't live thousands of miles apart 🤣.  I'd bring the bourbon and assorted Wisconsin cheeses!

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, kristen111 said:

Fellow oldster Depeche Mode fan here((although I’ve admittedly enjoyed them since my childhood)): I even spent a whole summer in college following them around on tour, have met all of them but the lead singer “in his black leather vest” Dave, stripped and more to all their songs…love that we have some fellow Devotees around here! ((And RIP, Andrew Fletcher))

Speaking of going to live shows though, I went alone to quite a few concerts before I met my husband((who thankfully for me will gladly go to *any* live show because he’s groovy like that)).
None of my local friends like my kind of music and I learned the hard way to NEVER buy concert tickets for folks to join you who don’t really care about the artist/s you’re seeing: you’ll either get stood up or dealing with a bored social albatross all night.

And I love going places alone! Eating alone and ordering/doing whatever you want is such a special treat. I’ve traveled alone too and didn’t mind it at all. Met my husband while I was drinking alone at a bar! There’s absolutely nothing wrong with publicly enjoying one’s own solitude and I wish more women were confident enough to gladly accept their own company in public. 

• Love 8
On 6/14/2022 at 5:15 PM, kristen111 said:

He is.  Why do you think I’m married for 56 years?  He gives in to me, and I give in to him.  He drove us to Disney every year and we loved it.  I told him to leave me and the kids at the gate and pick us up eight hours later, then he went to play golf.  I got what I wanted, and he got what he wanted.

Compromise works well. I would spend time at the stables while my husband golfed. Now we're in a place neither of us likes so we plan to move soon. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, Bastet said:

One thing I exponentially prefer doing alone is traveling, which, of course, includes a lot of going to restaurants alone.  It's interesting to see the varying reactions by area; in some places, it's like they've never seen a solo diner before.

I hadn't known how great it was to travel alone until I did it. Your own schedule, and you do what you want to do with no worries. 

As for solo dining, I don't know if it's worse for women or men in the "oh that poor lonely thing" pity. My husband was eating alone and getting some work done and these two women at a nearby table just stared at him. He finally just looked at them and asked if there was a problem. He's minding his own business and is not loud or with bad table manners.  I thought maybe they thought "single man" and were planning on pouncing.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
(edited)
10 hours ago, Sun-Bun said:

Fellow oldster Depeche Mode fan here((although I’ve admittedly enjoyed them since my childhood)): I even spent a whole summer in college following them around on tour, have met all of them but the lead singer “in his black leather vest” Dave, stripped and more to all their songs…love that we have some fellow Devotees around here! ((And RIP, Andrew Fletcher))

Speaking of going to live shows though, I went alone to quite a few concerts before I met my husband((who thankfully for me will gladly go to *any* live show because he’s groovy like that)).
None of my local friends like my kind of music and I learned the hard way to NEVER buy concert tickets for folks to join you who don’t really care about the artist/s you’re seeing: you’ll either get stood up or dealing with a bored social albatross all night.

And I love going places alone! Eating alone and ordering/doing whatever you want is such a special treat. I’ve traveled alone too and didn’t mind it at all. Met my husband while I was drinking alone at a bar! There’s absolutely nothing wrong with publicly enjoying one’s own solitude and I wish more women were confident enough to gladly accept their own company in public. 

Some people think it's strange I like to shop and get my nails alone (at least the pedicures, which relax me), maybe that has affected how I feel about going to shows alone? 

Tbh, I don't know if I would ever enjoy traveling alone. That's one of those instances where I really wish I had a partner to experience such a special time with, but I think it's great to do it solo if it's fun for you. 

I have eaten alone when I've been hungry and in between things. Sometimes men will hit on you. That tends to apply to a lot of activities you do solo. So it can be annoying when you just want to be left alone, but depending on the place and your comfort, if you're single it may not be terrible.

I've thought about purchasing tickets for others to go with me, but I won't do it for friends who are flaky. Tickets can be really expensive, so not trying to waste $. 

I normally go to movies with others and love discussing it afterwards with my group. BUT, I've gone alone and enjoyed it too. Sometimes your taste in movies varies as well. I've seen a lot of stuff I've found incredibly boring and missed out on things that were more my taste. I try not to be a doormat, but I do tend to let others lead. I'm trying to get better about that. 

That's probably another pet peeve-domineering people. The ones who like to always choose activities, the movie, the restaurant, etc. My friends are more flexible, but I've told my sister we are going to take turns from now on. 

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Love 3
16 hours ago, Calvada said:

I've gone on my own to plays, concerts, movies and restaurants my entire adult life.  I go with friends and family too, but I don't have any issues going on my own.  It it's something I want to see and no one else is interested, I don't let that stop me.  In many respects I prefer going on my own.  The one thing I really dislike is how a person on their own is treated in restaurants - being asked in a tone of disbelief, "Just ONE?? and when they try to give me the worst table.  Or when I get looks of pity from other tables.  I'm just fine, people!  

Husband and I took Amtrak from N.Y. to Denver.  I went in the Panoramic car which was filled with all teachers traveling ALONE.  I spoke the whol way with them and it was lovely.  The best trip of my life, so interesting.  My sister traveled all over the world alone.  My daughter went to Europe on a tour alone after college with a tour she met in London.  They went thru 11 countries.  The tour was 35 yrs old and under.  They went on a beautiful tour bus.  I can’t go anymore as I have sciatica and disc problems, unfortunately.  Damn.  Go while you can everyone.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, nokat said:

Compromise works well. I would spend time at the stables while my husband golfed. Now we're in a place neither of us likes so we plan to move soon. 

Golf.  I have to arrange my life according to golf, but then I know that’s the only thing he really loves, so I give in, but then he takes me wherever I want.  It works out for both. 😀

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
10 hours ago, Sun-Bun said:

Yep.  I dragged my hubs to Phantom of the Opera on Broadway, and he said once is enough, so I go with a friend or alone, before the pandemic.  He’s strictly a sports guy.  Go Mets and Jets.  I love my Yankees tho.  I had a shoebox of all the greats that is probably worth a few million, but my Mother threw them out, like everything else.  Neat Freak, lol.

• Mind Blown 2
  • Love 1

7966B73B-E481-45B8-9E78-E240C15A2BB5.jpeg.4e8b582937f093c8f0673bdc00ab371c.jpeg
Why is it then when I went to insert a reaction, I was only given these choices? I get different choices at different times. Is PT trying to tell me what is socially acceptable now? I miss the gobsmacked emoji and would have liked an eye rolling one. 

16 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Anyway I didn’t think any of those 3 options fit what I wanted to use here. 

• Useful 1
19 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

Yep.  I dragged my hubs to Phantom of the Opera on Broadway, and he said once is enough, so I go with a friend or alone, before the pandemic.  He’s strictly a sports guy.  Go Mets and Jets.  I love my Yankees tho.  I had a shoebox of all the greats that is probably worth a few million, but my Mother threw them out, like everything else.  Neat Freak, lol.

Oh no about the shoe box. How many millions have been made from people taking advantage of the shoe box when parents get rid of then.

I'd love to watch Phantom of the Opera. My hubs would not need to be dragged. He does have a CD with Michael Crawford and Sarah Brightman. Listening now.

• Love 3
50 minutes ago, nokat said:

Oh no about the shoe box. How many millions have been made from people taking advantage of the shoe box when parents get rid of then.

I'd love to watch Phantom of the Opera. My hubs would not need to be dragged. He does have a CD with Michael Crawford and Sarah Brightman. Listening now.

Same with my husband. We both loved it and went home in a dream like state afterwards. We too own the CDs and listen to them on date night. ❤️

• Love 3
55 minutes ago, nokat said:

I have the cd movie and cd for car.  My new Kia does not have a CD player. I’m so bummed as I love to listen in the car.  I saw Phantom four times, maybe with Crawford and once with Gerard Butler.  Maybe I’ll watch it now.  I missed Hello Dolly with Bette Midler.  So mad.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, nokat said:

I hadn't known how great it was to travel alone until I did it. Your own schedule, and you do what you want to do with no worries. 

As for solo dining, I don't know if it's worse for women or men in the "oh that poor lonely thing" pity. My husband was eating alone and getting some work done and these two women at a nearby table just stared at him. He finally just looked at them and asked if there was a problem. He's minding his own business and is not loud or with bad table manners.  I thought maybe they thought "single man" and were planning on pouncing.

Hahaha .. funny.  You never know.  We were shopping with separate wagons the other day.  Some Chick goes up to mine and gave him a five dollar bill and said “ Thanks for your Service” as he was wearing his Army hat and alone.  I asked him “ did you tell her you were in the Civil War”?  Lol.

• LOL 7

Y'all are my people. I love traveling alone, going to the movies alone, and eating out alone. I will admit, the eating out alone took me a while to do, I think I wasn't totally comfortable with it until my 30s. Now that I'm in my 40s, I don't really give a damn. I've never been to a concert alone, but I'm not really a big concert goer as it is. 

• Love 6
38 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

Hahaha .. funny.  You never know.  We were shopping with separate wagons the other day.  Some Chick goes up to mine and gave him a five dollar bill and said “ Thanks for your Service” as he was wearing his Army hat and alone.  I asked him “ did you tell her you were in the Civil War”?  Lol.

I’m wondering if these women we are talking about would do the same had we two been there?  Nooooooo.

On 6/15/2022 at 8:59 AM, theredhead77 said:

I went solo to see Elton John and I am so glad I did. 

Going yourself gives you more freedom.  What if you were somewhere with a friend, and wanted to leave?  You sort of can’t, because of them.  I go to the movies by myself and like it that way.  Same with shopping.  Rather go myself.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
10 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

Going yourself gives you more freedom.  What if you were somewhere with a friend, and wanted to leave?  You sort of can’t, because of them.  I go to the movies by myself and like it that way.  Same with shopping.  Rather go myself.

That's why when my friends and I went out partying, I always drove. I didn't want to get stuck if they weren't ready to leave when I was.

• Applause 1
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, kristen111 said:

What if you were somewhere with a friend, and wanted to leave?  You sort of can’t, because of them.

Sure you can. Uber, Lyft, a cab, bus, and clearly communicating expectations with said friend before you leave. Obviously this doesn't apply to all situations but it's not difficult to leave somewhere. Especially these days.

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

What is going on? Not only are my reaction choices being limited, but I lost my ability to edit now as well. Is anyone else having these issues? 

You should report it in the Bugs thread. I’m not having any issues with the emojis.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
3 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Is anyone else having these issues? 

Not me; I still have all 73 (okay, 11) of the reaction emojis and can edit.  As suggested, post in the Bugs section.  No one else has reported this yet.  I hope you're able to get it fixed quickly.

Edited by Bastet
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

What is going on? Not only are my reaction choices being limited, but I lost my ability to edit now as well. Is anyone else having these issues? 

The issue I’ve been having for awhile is, when I do a “personal message” to someone, the post disappears into thin air.  Some of them are long too, then poof, they are gone.  Is it my I- pad or what?

• Sad 1
  • Love 2
16 hours ago, kristen111 said:

Golf.  I have to arrange my life according to golf, but then I know that’s the only thing he really loves, so I give in, but then he takes me wherever I want.  It works out for both. 😀

My life has been arranged around golf for years so I know what you mean!  I went to my brother’s wedding alone because someone had moved a tournament date at the last minute and husband (as captain at that time) insisted he couldn’t miss it.  He buys golf clubs, I buy sewing machines (and fabric and thread and rulers etc).  It works.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
12 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

No issues here. Try a different browser or device? If it works there clear your cookies on the one having issues.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

@kristen111 As much as you compromise with your husband so he can golf and you can spend time doing a favored activity; I’d just like to say he found gold when he married you. 

That’s so sweet of you to say.  Knowing you tho, you are the Best, and a “giver”, to everyone.  ❤️

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Caoimhe said:

My life has been arranged around golf for years so I know what you mean!  I went to my brother’s wedding alone because someone had moved a tournament date at the last minute and husband (as captain at that time) insisted he couldn’t miss it.  He buys golf clubs, I buy sewing machines (and fabric and thread and rulers etc).  It works.

Lol .. it’s an addiction.  Hats all over the house, a million balls, my whole trunk full of equipment and four days every weekend.  Plus “Scrambles” for money on Sunday.  Better than another woman, haha.  Then there’s Paulina Gretzky Johnson, with the skirts up to her who-ha.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
37 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

No issues here. Try a different browser or device? If it works there clear your cookies on the one having issues.

Oh Geeze .. bugs and cookies.  Have to get the grandkids here.

• Like 2
On 6/16/2022 at 1:32 PM, nokat said:

Being my new car doesn’t have a CD player, I just ordered a little disc player to play my tapes in the car.  Pavarotti, Phamtom of theOpera, Pride & Prejudice, Abba, Bobby Vinton, Michael Bolton and Garth Brooks.  A little of my favorites.  Now, I need a long trip.  I’ll have to barter, lol.  We are watching Great Expetations now .. our favorite, once a week.  Love Turner Classics.

• Love 3
15 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I have ten, but don’t know what the hell they mean.

• LOL 2
8 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

I have ten, but don’t know what the hell they mean.

There are eleven.  If you hover over one, you'll see what the icon means (e.g. heart = love).  For the ones where you still don't know what the hell they mean after hovering, this post explains them all (e.g. flames = fire, which means "That's fire/you are ON fire" or "That's soooo good").

Incidentally, the expression "that's fire" was the subject of a Jeopardy! clue not long after the icon was added here; if not for that and the ensuing discussion of what it means, I would have missed that clue.  But I'm still not using the icon.

• Fire 1
  • Useful 2
(edited)
24 minutes ago, Bastet said:

There are eleven.  If you hover over one, you'll see what the icon means (e.g. heart = love).  For the ones where you still don't know what the hell they mean after hovering, this post explains them all (e.g. flames = fire, which means "That's fire/you are ON fire" or "That's soooo good").

Incidentally, the expression "that's fire" was the subject of a Jeopardy! clue not long after the icon was added here; if not for that and the ensuing discussion of what it means, I would have missed that clue.  But I'm still not using the icon.

Well thanks, but they are too much trouble.  I like the old ones better.  Easy breezy.  I’m on fire .. very humid today.  Thank you anyway. 😀

Edited by kristen111
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

I like the old ones better.

Yeah, I still just use the old ones; they have all my reactions covered.

1 minute ago, PRgal said:

Regarding reactions, what does being thankful have to do with Pride Month?  That's what the rainbow reaction is - thankful.  I'm confused.

That's not the pride flag rainbow, that's the TV color strip from the Primetimer logo.  What the site's logo has to do with Thankful, I don't know, but that's what it is.

• Thanks 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2