Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, Bastet said:

Now I'm wondering what I'm not carrying around in my pajama pants that I should be. 

Just tissues. I always need tissues. But sometimes I'll slip my phone into my pocket if I'm walking around the house. 

• Love 1
51 minutes ago, topanga said:

Just tissues. I always need tissues. But sometimes I'll slip my phone into my pocket if I'm walking around the house. 

LOL. Tissues are exactly what I would carry around in mine. Of course, those are the tissues that manage to make their way into the wash and then all over everything in the dryer, so maybe I'm better off without the pockets.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Bastet said:

Now I'm wondering what I'm not carrying around in my pajama pants that I should be.

I carry tissues sometimes, with the clean ones on one side and the used ones on the other. (I have a 5-year-old and can't always get to a trash can, so, yeah, sometimes I carry around used tissues. It's gross, but you get used to gross with babies.) I carry my phone around the house if I'm going to be in the back room, and if I'm not wearing a bra, I put my fitbit in my pocket. (I have the kind that you clip on to something, not the kind you wear on your wrist.)

New peeve: I swear sometimes all I do is follow people around the house, turning off lights they left on. I could say something about it and make them turn the lights off, but they won't remember next time. I know because I've tried.

• Love 2

We've got a super-cheesy-yet-cool vintage lamp in our living room, and it has 3 or 4 settings. For some reason, my BF always puts it on the second, which I find to be too bright--while I do love kitschy lighting, I like rooms to be dim (like the creature of the night I am). Last night, I said, "What is with you and two-click?!" (miraculously, he knew exactly what I meant by that). His retort? "Oh, why don't you go live in a darkened cave!" 

(One of these, only in brass--so '80s!)

3085-5CC-2nd.jpg

• Love 5
14 hours ago, auntlada said:

It's gross, but you get used to gross with babies.

Indeed! I originally got desensitized to gross by living in a fraternity house for three years, so when the kids rolled around, I had prior experience to fall back on.

For example, I remember distinctly having this thought when scrubbing out my car one day when my daughter was about 2: "You know, by the time I hit 23, I was pretty sure I was done with people puking in or out of my car."

Pet peeve: Holiday driving. It's just Tuesday of Thanksgiving week, and already the roads are crawling with extra people, people who don't know where they're going because they're from out of town, people who are distracted or have other emotions messing with their minds. I just want to drop off my daughter at school and get to work safely people.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, TattleTeeny said:

We've got a super-cheesy-yet-cool vintage lamp in our living room, and it has 3 or 4 settings. For some reason, my BF always puts it on the second, which I find to be too bright--while I do love kitschy lighting, I like rooms to be dim (like the creature of the night I am). Last night, I said, "What is with you and two-click?!" (miraculously, he knew exactly what I meant by that). His retort? "Oh, why don't you go live in a darkened cave!" 

3085-5CC-2nd.jpg

HOLY CRAP, I have the same lamp as you; it's even brass. It's currently in the basement because two of the sockets blew and warped so badly that the base of the light bulb is firmly wedged in there. And there aren't any bits sticking up so we can't do the "potato-broken light bulb" trick.

• Love 2

Oh, is that lamp too 80's? 

I read somewhere, I wish I had saved the quote - that with certain items, if you mom or grandma has it in her house, it's "old-fashioned".  if she donates it to a thrift store and you buy it from there,  it becomes "RETRO"  and it's cool. 

• Love 5

I read somewhere, I wish I had saved the quote - that with certain items, if you mom or grandma has it in her house, it's "old-fashioned".  if she donates it to a thrift store and you buy it from there,  it becomes "RETRO"  and it's cool. 

I've pretty much taken everything old from my mom's and grandma's houses--clothing, jewelry, furniture, macrame planet hangers...

Which actually brings me to a topical peeve, as I am right now browsing Etsy for vintage clothes. Sellers should stop trying to pass off '70s-retro clothes from the '90s as vintage. Some of us can tell, you know (partly because I know my real-deal '70s and partly because I had some of those '90s versions).

Edited by TattleTeeny
6 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Is yours heavy as hell too?

I took mine from the BF's mom's old bedroom when she sold her house. Oh, that bedroom, man--that lamp along with a faux-marble semicircle headboard with a gold filament kind of thing...

That base weighs like half a ton, one of the movers almost hurt themselves because they didn't realize it.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

3085-5CC-2nd.jpg

I have this in my bedroom, also brass, I also have a miniature one on my nightstand.  I have 16 feet pitched walls in my room, it's a huge room that used to be an attic. This lamp is perfect. I also like odd lamps. A lot.  I have 2 in my living room that are shaped like roses, with each rose having a light bulb in it. They look like they're from maybe the 70s, I'm not sure. I'm a weirdo who also has a few lava lamps, I have different shapes and colors in different rooms in the house. My favorite thing to look for in thrift stores are old lamps and lighting fixtures. 

• Love 1

We've got a lava lamp too, Maharincess! We actually had two--one his, one mine (maybe one of the reasons he knew I was The One from his first step into my place. That, the gothy/kitschy tchotchkes, and the endless piles of books on questionable subject matter). I've got a book called Turned On about all these crazy old lamps and I want everything in it...even though I sit around in the dark all the time. What I really want is one of those table or floor lamps with three spherical shades in red, yellow, and green (usually) with a swirly, textured surface. 

2 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Snakes! Why are there so many snakes in the shrubs outside my office?! Come on! I just can't...

I've had it with these motha-fatha snakes in these motha-fatha shrubs!

Seriously, where do you live, and why are there snakes outside your office? *shudders*

On 11/22/2016 at 10:09 AM, JTMacc99 said:

Pet peeve: Holiday driving. It's just Tuesday of Thanksgiving week, and already the roads are crawling with extra people, people who don't know where they're going because they're from out of town, people who are distracted or have other emotions messing with their minds. I just want to drop off my daughter at school and get to work safely people.

I feel your pain. People just don't know how to drive around other people. Or period. 

Seriously, what happened to being aware of your surroundings as you drive? People drift into other lanes, turn wildly, pull out of parking spots without looking, etc.

And don't get me started on pedestrians. In my city, they're the absolute worst. No, you don't always have the right of way. If I have the green light, and you stroll across the street and dare me to hit you, I have the right to speed up and lay on my horn. I'd never hit a pedestrian, mind you.

• Love 1

Grocery store shopping by people who don't usually do the grocery store shopping.

The perfect time to decide that grocery shopping should be a family (of six) outing is not Thanksgiving when every household is grocery shopping at the same time for a meal on the same day.  What I noticed on my trip to the store this evening is that people were shopping in herds.  A group of people, clearly related hanging out in every aisle taking forever trying to figure out what snacks to buy.  I can only assume that boredom has driven them to want to get out of the house.

Thanksgiving now eclipses the Superbowl.  That one day a year where the husbands are sent grocery shopping by their wives.  I kid you not, I once saw a cashier teach a guy how to go through the checkout the weekend of the Superbowl.

• Love 5

The one day I would never, ever trust my husband to do the grocery shopping is Thanksgiving! He'd call me every minute asking what aisle any particular item is located on. I'm always amazed at how many people use grocery shopping as a family outing. I dread taking the kids to the store with me. I save my shopping for when my husband is home or I shop online.

• Love 2

my pet peeve this week -I was at Target, there are 6 kids in the extended family I have to buy gifts for, so I wanted to get it all out of the way in one day (20% off toys!!!)  

Anyway   -   one mom had two kids with her - little, like under age 7.     They stopped at the bicycle aisle.   each kid hopped on a bike.  She paid no attention, she want' BUYING the bikes.  NOw, when my kids were little, if we were purchasing a bike, I'd let them get on to get a feel for if the bike was the right dimensions, if they would be able to ride it.   But only in the aisle by the bikes, and only to compare models, to make sure we got the right size.   Not this mom!    She let her kids ride the bikes up and down the aisles while she shopped!   Yeah, everyone else - LOOK OUT as the kids round the corners and tried not to hit other people and shopping carts.  She paid them no mind, pretty much ignored them as she went about her shopping.  

I like kids.   And these kids were not BAD -  it's just that they were riding bikes like they were in the park. It's a STORE -  and of course, if anyone came in wanting to BUY bicycles, well tough shit for them, because the demo bikes were being ridden all over the store. 

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Mountainair said:

The one day I would never, ever trust my husband to do the grocery shopping is Thanksgiving

Heh. Sometimes I forget I'm not a normal dad. How hard is it to go to the store and buy what you are supposed to buy?  

If course since I've been in charge of cooking since the start, I guess it makes sense that I do all the grocery shopping. 

And I loathe cleaning the bathroom. I do everything else. The bathrooms get ignored for as long as I can stand it. 

• Love 4

I also hate cleaning. I'm a terrible housekeeper. I never really learned to keep house. My mother worked two jobs and I babysat my two younger sisters for several years. (Our father was a deadbeat and absent.) I did do the laundry for all of us.

One of the few things I splurge on now is a monthly housekeeper. I feel bad because she's in her 70s, though, not that she couldn't dance circles around me. I pay her well. Housekeeping just isn't a skill I have, like I'm not great at math.

• Love 8

Don't feel bad--I'm a good housekeeper but I pay for grocery delivery (and now I even hate making the online order, haha!). As long as there are these kinds of services being offered, why not take advantage of them?

I hate when my sometimes lazy-around-the-house BF claims, "...but you like to clean," as if he's doing me a favor by leaving chores to me. No, I like things to be clean.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 7
On 11/18/2016 at 1:22 PM, lordonia said:

Bah on "rules" for what time of day it's okay to eat specific foods. I ordered a chicken salad sandwich at 7am at Bob Evans last week and the waitress couldn't hide her surprise. Pfft. If breakfast for dinner is a thing, toasted bread and chicken for breakfast can also be a thing.

Yes, major pet peeve of mine.  That's why I appreciate Whataburger (based in Texas, spread over the southwest and some of the south).  They serve everything during "breakfast hours."  So I can get a hamburger and fries at 9:00 a.m.  And the fries are always freshly cooked.

On 11/19/2016 at 9:15 PM, ratgirlagogo said:

How are you going to get a damned shopping cart onto the bus, let alone onto the subway (and its many stairways)?

I think the problem is people taking them to the bus stop or subway station and abandoning them there.  Which really bugs me because as you point out, the items are obviously carry-able or they wouldn't be able to get them home from the bus or subway, so taking the cart off premises and ditching it just because you'd prefer not to carry the stuff for that part of the trip is extremely rude.

On 11/19/2016 at 11:45 PM, Sandman87 said:

There are companies in some areas which make pretty good money just from driving around and collecting abandoned carts, then collecting finder's fees from the stores for returning them.

Nobody else around here watched Trailer Park Boys?  Bubbles made a living by stealing shopping carts and throwing them in a ditch, and then recovering them and collecting the finder's fee.

On 11/20/2016 at 10:38 AM, Popples said:

This fills me with such rage that I can barely even articulate it.  Why do so many women's trousers have fake pockets? I bought some beige capris for my brother's beach wedding and was in a rush trying them on, saw they had pockets and was happy they fit. Come the wedding and I wanted to put the camera in my pocket only to find out that they had been stitched shut. WHY?!

I don't know why they do that.  I bought some pants at Goodwill the other day that still had the pockets sewn shut.  So I unstitched them, and wondered about the previous owner who never did.

As someone pointed out, there was a discussion about pockets on women's pants a while back.  That's why I wear men's Levi's--actual pockets in the front, although even those are smaller than the pockets in an older pair I have (same style number) I have, but massive compared to the pockets they put on women's jeans.

Current peeve?  Charity that happens only at Christmas. 

• Love 3
On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 2:22 PM, lordonia said:

Bah on "rules" for what time of day it's okay to eat specific foods. I ordered a chicken salad sandwich at 7am at Bob Evans last week and the waitress couldn't hide her surprise. Pfft. If breakfast for dinner is a thing, toasted bread and chicken for breakfast can also be a thing. Donuts, muffins and pastries are acceptable for breakfast but pie isn't? Screw that.

I was thinking about this, and what has always irritated me is when people assume that everyone keeps the same hours.   stores, hospitals, police departments, are staffed 24 hours. We live in a world where people eat meals, go to work, come home, at all hours of the day and night.  If people work nights, they HAVE to eat "breakfast" food after work, and "dinner"  food before their shift?  says who? 

So if someone is having pizza and beer in the morning - don't judge, they may have just finished work.   or it's their day off.    I used to have a job where I got off at midnight.   My mom would call me, and express disbelief that I was STILL IN BED at 8 am.    Now, I often work until 9 or 10 at night.   So when I get home, I have dinner, and I might stay up late.   If it's 9 AM and I'm in my pj's - don't judge.   If it's noon and I haven't showered yet -  so the heck what?   just because you get up at 6, have lunch at 12 and come home at 5, don't assume the rest of the world does. 

• Love 7
2 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Yes, major pet peeve of mine.  That's why I appreciate Whataburger (based in Texas, spread over the southwest and some of the south).  They serve everything during "breakfast hours."  So I can get a hamburger and fries at 9:00 a.m.  And the fries are always freshly cooked.

I have had that meal, at roughly that same time, a few times in the past month. Generally I avoid fast food, but if I'm going to go for it, that's where I go. And if you haven't tried the root beer shake yet , damn, that thing is good.

I hate housecleaning at least when it comes to my own home. Oddly enough, I am perfectly happy to clean up someone else's house. My mother was a wretched housekeeper with zero domestic organizational skills (although super organized at work), which is a large part of the reason we had a full-time maid for most of my childhood and then a couple of days a week in my teen years. I won't let things get too dirty but can deal with some clutter until it starts to get out of hand, at which point I go into clean & organize mode. My basic plan of attack is the 30-minute rule. That is, if someone calls me and says he/she will be dropping by in 30 minutes, I should be able to pick up/straighten up enough in that 30 minutes to not be mortified. Of course, anyone who knows me knows way better than to self-invite like that, but the principle is there. So, I focus on more public rooms: living room, dining area/kitchen, guest bath.

To take this back around to a pet peeve, though, one of mine is those so-called housecleaning agencies. Maybe other people have had better experiences, but my encounters with them have been consistently frustrating. If I want a housecleaning agency to come to my home, I want them to actually clean. I am unwilling to spend that much money for someone to come in, wipe down a few counters, and declare that everything is "clean." Because it's not. Even though I hate housecleaning, I understand it to include sweeping and mopping floors, scrubbing tubs and toilets, picking up random things from under the table and couch that my cats have hidden there, etc. But per the cleaning agency, I needed to do all that crap myself so they can come in and do the lightweight stuff like wiping down my kitchen counters and cabinet doors. I tried that for a few months and realized it was a waste of money.

ETA: On the subject of who does the housecleaning, yeah, I've been in relationships where the guy expected me to do it entirely by myself, and the excuse was always that he "didn't know how" to load the dishwasher, mop, vacuum, etc. My response: I wasn't born knowing how to do housework; I had to learn how to do it, and you can learn, too.

Edited by BookWoman56
  • Love 3

What a bunch of girls you are!  Lol. I like snakes.  They won't bother you if you don't bother them, they're more afraid of you.   Very, very few species of snakes are aggressive and those species aren't here.  I love seeing lizards and snakes around my property. 

Again, I'm the weirdo, I love cleaning the house and doing yard work. I can't do it like I used to but I still do it whenever I can. I blast some loud music and clean my ass off.  My husband has done our grocery shopping for all of the 27 and a half years we've been together.   If a man can't handle grocery shopping then he's got other issues. 

• Love 3
44 minutes ago, backformore said:

So if someone is having pizza and beer in the morning - don't judge, they may have just finished work.   or it's their day off.

Exactly! I sleep when I feel like it these days which sometimes means I'm awake all night. The chicken salad sandwich was actually my dinner that day.

I've also never understood laws that restrict the hours alcohol can be sold. I've been stuck behind people in grocery stores lines trying to buy beer on Sunday but it was a few minutes before [whatever arbitrary hour] it was allowed. Blue laws are the same -- you can buy gas or groceries or go to a movie and restaurant, but dog forbid you want to buy a pair of shoes or a book on a Sunday. Silliness.

25 minutes ago, BookWoman56 said:

To take this back around to a pet peeve, though, one of mine is those so-called housecleaning agencies. Maybe other people have had better experiences, but my encounters with them have been consistently frustrating.

I think that's universal? They wipe down a few surfaces, run the vacuum around chairs and tables -- don't even think about moving them! -- and swish out the toilet. Done, bye. The people who work for themselves and are actually thorough are usually too busy to book. The woman I was so grateful to have found is in her 60s and yes, I pay her more than I make per hour.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

I guess I'm the odd one out. I love to clean (even the bathroom) and go grocery shopping. Most of all I love to organize. I wish I could organize the whole world. Clutter makes me twitchy. 

I like the feeling of achieving something and seeing the fruits of my labors! What gets me is that I'm a crazy completist; if I start, I'm doing all of it and I hate feeling like I have to because of (a) my own neuroses and (b) an uneven distribution of labor at home (that latter of which should be an easy fix...but it's not).

What a bunch of girls you are!  Lol. I like snakes.  They won't bother you if you don't bother them, they're more afraid of you.   Very, very few species of snakes are aggressive and those species aren't here.  I love seeing lizards and snakes around my property. 

I know, I know...but still, I'm scared. It's not logical at all--they don't have to be big or poisonous, they just have to be snakes and I'm outta there. And it makes me feel so bad, like I'm hurting their feelings!

Edited by TattleTeeny
41 minutes ago, Maharincess said:

When I was a kid, I stepped on a snake in my yard.  There I am, barefoot, screaming and frozen in terror.  Only time in my life I have literally been so scared that I could not move.  A neighbor later said they thought it was a baby copperhead.  I don't really remember how I got off the snake.  I remember my mom killed it.  I also remember taking the snake killing hoe of death everywhere outside for the next three days.

I say this sincerely.  That snake was not more afraid of me than I was of it.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

I guess I'm the odd one out. I love to clean (even the bathroom) and go grocery shopping. Most of all I love to organize. I wish I could organize the whole world. Clutter makes me twitchy. 

Marge, I am SO with you on the clutter stuff: I *loathe* clutter...probably because I grew up around it. My mom is a classic clutter-collector and her house is basically one huge display case of her various collections of tchotchkes and brick-a-brac. She's always been big on antiquing via thrift stores and garage sales, so her house is literally tables beside tables, lamps beside lamps, gallery walls, bowls beside bowls of random balls and more, fake flowers, plate collections, figurine collections, GAH!!! When I step into her house I just get anxious and almost claustrophobic...so much crap everywhere that I'd love to just toss out the window: it's no wonder that I now live in a minimalist loft with very little of that crap((aka "dust collectors")) around.

And yep, fellow grocery shopping lover here too. Way back when I was unemployed for nearly a year, getting my weekly unemployment check and using it to carefully select groceries for the week somehow kept me sane and hopeful, so grocery stores are like my happy place...something about selecting food and necessities for the week feels so delightfully domestic and adult, yet oddly primal too. Added bonus if free samples are thrown in! 

Edited by Sun-Bun
  • Love 1

Minimalist decor definitely has an appeal to me. However, I realize that it's just not me--I like too much esoterica and random old stuff. A pet peeve though is when the BF (who is very much like me in the odds-and-ends department) puts any old thing on my bookshelf. I have the books, of course, and various creepy and kitschy tchotchkes...but I choose them carefully; they're unique or crazy or sentimental, whatever. So when he just plunks something on there because it caught his fancy for a second (and then he doesn't know what to do with it), I get pissy! We don't have to keep everything!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 5

I love grocery shopping, I just hate the "crowds".  Even if I go at 2am and there are only a few other people there, they always seem to be where I need to be.  I have even left an aisle I wanted to be in because the 10 other people in the store were all there, only for them all to turn up at the new aisle I went to.  And even when it's so sparse they don't manage to pull their carts to the side, or they end up looking for something right where I am, like the exact spot in the aisle.  What is up with that?  If I could go grocery shopping and manage to maintain a small orb of personal space the whole time, I'd be so happy.  But instead I order my groceries online half the time.  There are a few options where I live, and most accept coupons and and with one you can include notes like "get avocados only if not too hard" or "I'd prefer the steak to be half a pound or less" and they follow those notes.

• Love 4
On 11/24/2016 at 1:12 AM, backformore said:

I like kids.   And these kids were not BAD -  it's just that they were riding bikes like they were in the park. It's a STORE -  and of course, if anyone came in wanting to BUY bicycles, well tough shit for them, because the demo bikes were being ridden all over the store. 

That sounds like episode of "Superstore." The mom was probably happy to have a break while her kids terrorized other people for a change. 

On 11/23/2016 at 9:02 PM, Mountainair said:

The one day I would never, ever trust my husband to do the grocery shopping is Thanksgiving! He'd call me every minute asking what aisle any particular item is located on. I'm always amazed at how many people use grocery shopping as a family outing. I dread taking the kids to the store with me. I save my shopping for when my husband is home or I shop online.

I once sent my husband grocery shopping to pick up Thanksgiving items I'd forgotten. Once. I sent him with a list complete with brand names, sizes, and quantities I needed. He brought me the wrong brands, wrong items, and a whole buncha random shit he thought would be good for dinner. Stuff I had no plans to cook since we already had a full menu. But he tried, right? *SMH*

14 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Oh, yes. One of my favorites. I stop by Whataburger whenever I'm back in Texas. Question for you, StatisticalOutlier: I was raised a yankee but revert back to my Texas drawl whenever I'm in the South. Is the correct pronunciation "Whatta-burger,"  almost like "Water-burger"? It's what everyone says, including me. Or is it supposed it be like, "Hmm.  What a (delicious) burger that is"?

There are a few options where I live, and most accept coupons and and with one you can include notes like "get avocados only if not too hard" or "I'd prefer the steak to be half a pound or less" and they follow those notes.

Oh, I wish I could have notes like that in mine! We can only check off if substitutions are OK, but not even for individual items; it means throughout the order! So, because I am picky with some things, I couldn't check that--I don't want them to send me non-vegan stuff if they're out of what I really want, and back when I ate yogurt*, I liked only Chobani and could not risk them sending another gross kind. BUT, oh my god, it's annoying when they're out of something fairly innocuous like whatever brand of paper towels I selected at random, because then I end up with no paper towels at all!

* For those who care, coconut milk-based yogurt is disgusting.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 1

I don't mind cleaning, except dusting. I absolutely loathe dusting.  No matter what, I end up with an itchy face for the entire day.  Just leave the dust alone where it's not bothering anyone.   I like things to be clean but am ok with clutter, so long as it's my clutter and I know where everything is.

• Love 4

Dusting books is the absolute worst, second only maybe to Todd McFarlane toys/statues, which are made with intricate details in some kind of hard plastic that dust really wants to cling to (like you cannot just wipe it off with a cloth)! As for the rest of it, it's my own damn tchotchke-loving fault, man! I try to get it done with the help of true-crime podcasts or loud music...but then there's the inevitable dance-party breaks, haha!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, topanga said:

I once sent my husband grocery shopping to pick up Thanksgiving items I'd forgotten. Once. I sent him with a list complete with brand names, sizes, and quantities I needed. He brought me the wrong brands, wrong items, and a whole buncha random shit he thought would be good for dinner. Stuff I had no plans to cook since we already had a full menu. But he tried, right? *SMH*

You said it: Once

You never sent him again, right? That was his plan all along.  At least that what the one-time Mrs. Moose would tell you.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Moose135 said:

You said it: Once

You never sent him again, right? That was his plan all along.  At least that what the one-time Mrs. Moose would tell you.

You know, I think you’re right. He never wanted to go in the first place. I guess his master plan worked. 

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Sun-Bun said:

Marge, I am SO with you on the clutter stuff: I *loathe* clutter...probably because I grew up around it. My mom is a classic clutter-collector and her house is basically one huge display case of her various collections of tchotchkes and brick-a-brac. She's always been big on antiquing via thrift stores and garage sales, so her house is literally tables beside tables, lamps beside lamps, gallery walls, bowls beside bowls of random balls and more, fake flowers, plate collections, figurine collections, GAH!!! When I step into her house I just get anxious and almost claustrophobic...so much crap everywhere that I'd love to just toss out the window: it's no wonder that I now live in a minimalist loft with very little of that crap((aka "dust collectors")) around.

1 hour ago, bilgistic said:

I hate to clean, but I don't leave stuff lying (laying, whatever) around. I hate dirty dishes in the sink. I feel anxious if there's clutter.

I’m by no means the best housekeeper in the world. In fact, I’m down-right terrible. Messiness just doesn’t bother me much: my bed doesn’t have to be made in the morning, and I’m one of those people who has no problem going to bed at night with dirty dishes in the sink. But I don’t like unsanitary conditions like dirty bathrooms, pet food on the floor, or dishes in the bedrooms. (Some of you might argue that leaving dirty dishes in the sink is pretty unsanitary. To you I say, in the nicest way possible, eat my shorts!). 

I do agree with you, Sun-Bun, that figurines and knick-knacks are anxiety-provoking. I’d go one step further and say they are of the devil. They collect dust and they make a room look cluttered. But to me the worst offense is that they don’t do anything. If I’m going to have something decorative in my living room, let be a pretty basket or bowl I can use to store my remote controls or toss my keys in at night. 

• Love 2