Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,
  • Start Topic

Tensions are high right now and it's been an effort not to snap at these people, who annoy me even when everything is mellow and easy: posters who can't leave a joke alone.  Asshat, do not ruin the joke by making the implied obvious! Like the post, or don't, and move on.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, lordonia said:

All I'm gonna say about the election is that I went across the street to my hard-drinking sister's house at 7am to get some wine and she was out.

1 hour ago, lordonia said:

All I'm gonna say about the election is that I went across the street to my hard-drinking sister's house at 7am to get some wine and she was out.

All I'm going to say is that it's about damn time that like your wine, my marijuana is now legal in my state and I'll be able to buy it in stores soon. 

• Love 5
On 11/5/2016 at 7:40 AM, auntlada said:

If it's not too much more than five miles, that is a peeve. It's close enough to be doable, but far enough away to be an annoyance.

If five miles were an annoyance, no one would ever go to work.

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, ennui said:

If five miles were an annoyance, no one would ever go to work.

They would where I grew up. Five miles was another town. And where I live now, a lot of people live within a mile or so of where they work. It's part of the joys of living in a smaller town.

But really I meant it is an annoyance for something that you want but do not need. If you are not already going there, it's a pain to have to get out and go.

• Love 1

Not exactly a peeve but in keeping with the grocery store posts: At Petco, a cashier will always ask "Will you be OK to get that to your car?"  (usually a big bag of litter and about 30 cans of food). OK, fine, they're just being nice. But did you not see me carry it to the register with no problem?

Also, at Petco--and this is just once, not an ongoing thing--a male cashier (who tries to flirt at me via talking about my tattoos and showing me his, every time I'm in there) reached over and hit the "No" button on the little card screen when it asked if I wanted to donate to a homeless pet! I always donate! He did it with this weird "ignore that, it's so lame" attitude. Ugh!

And one other Petco thing, which isn't a peeve--it's just funny in a nerdy kind of way: the cat food cans are all arranged in a row according to flavor/main ingredient. So when I'm reading them, I see "beef," "chicken," "trout," "tuna," turkey," etc., until all of a sudden--boom!--"kitten"! For a tiny second, my mind was like, "wait...what's in that food?!"

(Putting the food list in alph order was totally an accident!)

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 5

bmasters9, that same thing happened to me this past weekend, yes! Went to a place for brunch that said they were open for brunch that day on ALL their web accounts. Nope, not open!!

What the hell is going on? This happened to the BF and me this week too! I wanted to go to a diner that has a couple of good and easily veganized paninis! I really wanted that damn panini too; I had been thinking about it since the day before--and who the hell plans in advance to go to an average diner? Food motivated me, that's who! 

I still want my damn panini!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

So when I'm reading them, I see "beef," "chicken," "trout," "tuna," turkey," etc., until all of a sudden--boom!--"kitten"! For a tiny second, my mind was like, "wait...what's in that food?!"

And I am sure they had a picture of the cute little kitten on the can too/in the can. 

Misleading advertising & labeling - you can't actually get a baby at the baby sale the stores keep advertising.

• Love 5

Office-related peeves!

Not only do we have terrible coffee at work (which is bad, yes--buy NO coffee is worse, IMO) but our break room/kitchen's food-prep area is set up in a cramped corner. If you're facing the area, there are two microwaves and a toaster to the left of the 90-degree angle where the counters meet, and two coffeemakers to the right of that. To the right of those is where people prepare their coffee/food, and there are the styrofoam cups and stuff, a dish rack, then the sink. OK, so, every damn morning, this corner is all crowded and it is rage-inducing! People who already have their coffee stand there talking! If you're "lucky," they see you waiting with a cup and maybe indulge you with that two-inch hip-shift that does not make room! Get the hell out of there, man! Come on!

Further, while there is a paper-towel dispenser right above the sink, for some unknown reason, the actual paper towels that fit in it (the folded rectangular kind) are stacked next to the coffeemakers! If you recall from this oh-so-fascinating tale, there are a bunch of things between the sink and the coffee so...

to get a paper towel, one must reach their drippy hands over the people who are putting butter on toast or pouring milk in coffee. Gross. Why the fuck we don't use the logically placed dispenser, I do not know but it has always been this way!  

Finally (or...probably not; the list goes on at this shit-show) and worst of all, the people who make a mess! There is a trash can seriously six feet away, yet adults leave empty sugar packets on the (usually wet and coffee-speckled) counter, along with a festive confetti of said sugar and too often, soggy paper towels (so, what...you spilled and made some effort to rectify that? But then just left that on the counter?). What the hell?! They also leave oatmeal bowls and mugs in the sink! Yes, we have cleaning people here every day but their job is to maintain the place, not to clean up your mess! Ugh!

Additional infractions:

• Toilet-paper dispensers that cause you to have to reach your hand partially inside to kind of push the (too big?) roll around so that you can pull off more than a tiny corner at a time.
  • Notes on the refrigerators that inexplicably say, "Be considerate of others: Label your food." Wait, what? As opposed to adults simply not taking out what they didn't put in, I have to put my name on something? To whom exactly is this being considerate?
  • Paper-towel dispenser in the ladies' room positioned right inside the inward-swinging door at about a foot above the trash can. So, while you are basically bent at the waist and holding your face just above garbage to get a paper towel (that comes out not like a sheet but like a rope that you then have to unfold), you are also likely to get bashed by the door. 

AAARRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHH! Edited to add people who take the last of the coffee and don't make a new pot! Fuck off! Do not even think I won't walk through this entire place looking for steam coming out of a cup!
Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 4
26 minutes ago, Qoass said:

I know this one gets some people defensive but I hate when people store an entire week's worth of food in the company fridge leaving no room for others' lunch bags.

I'm with you here! Also, those who have to store 20 pound bags of produce they bought via some co-worker's kid's fundraiser should also be dissed. Well, at least with buying bagged produce without the chance to inspect for rotten and/or bruised fruit, its a virtual certainty that after dragging that bag home, they'll have to throw out a good part of it when they get it home.  When will more folks realize that ultimately buying produce in person in a store where one can inspect each item may seem more expensive on paper but considering how much of the bagged stuff goes to waste, it ultimately is the better bargain.?

• Love 2
15 hours ago, Qoass said:

I know this one gets some people defensive but I hate when people store an entire week's worth of food in the company fridge leaving no room for others' lunch bags.

That happens? Them be some stale sandwiches on Friday.

The thing that always made me roll my eyes was the breakroom ice maker. There was a plastic cup which was to be used as a scoop instead of grabbing the ice by hand. Of course after being used, the cup was laid back on top of the ice. That's the same amount of contamination, folks! The cup was never replaced either.

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, DeLurker said:

Misleading advertising & labeling - you can't actually get a baby at the baby sale the stores keep advertising.

A co-worker showed me a newspaper ad for a Gigantic Boot Sale, and I explained that I didn't need gigantic boots.

• Love 2
21 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

What the hell is going on? This happened to the BF and me this week too! I wanted to go to a diner that has a couple of good and easily veganized paninis! I really wanted that damn panini too; I had been thinking about it since the day before--and who the hell plans in advance to go to an average diner? Food motivated me, that's who! 

I still want my damn panini!

It's hard to find reliable people to show up to work early at blue collar jobs that pay shit. and the funny thing is the ones who do are usually treated like shit so they don't usually stay or eventually become lazy or apathetic also. This is the problem - it is in the pay and management. Notice the places y'all are complaining about also have owners and supervisors who also blew it off, and chances are either hired losers or treated the good ones  like losers financially or verbally, so the business reflects it. It's obvious to someone who works those type jobs and entire family is from a service industry lower class culture. I am that woman who shows up at 4 am daily and paid crap, sees few coworkers do so then or later, and no businesses even the ones supposed to be open w their lights on so can't get her coffee. 

• Love 2
11 hours ago, DeLurker said:

And I am sure they had a picture of the cute little kitten on the can too/in the can. 

Reminds me of this old urban legend about Baby Food Jars

• Love 1

And one other Petco thing, which isn't a peeve--it's just funny in a nerdy kind of way: the cat food cans are all arranged in a row according to flavor/main ingredient. So when I'm reading them, I see "beef," "chicken," "trout," "tuna," turkey," etc., until all of a sudden--boom!--"kitten"! For a tiny second, my mind was like, "wait...what's in that food?!"

I noticed that most of the cans of cat food I buy at Wal Mart are abbreviated as 'canned cat' on the receipt.

• Love 4

Oh my god, you guys! Just got this e-mail -- what timing, considering my previous rant here!

On Friday, November 18th, after 5pm, we will be starting a long awaited renovation of the corporate kitchen.

In order to do this, however, it will require us to completely dismantle the current kitchen and to remove the floor tiles.  In order to reduce the amount of inconvenience to everyone, I timed most of the construction work to occur during the week of Thanksgiving – it’s a short week for us.  We expect to complete renovations sometime during the following week.

You will have access to the restrooms [well, gee, thanks--that's mighty generous], and we will do our best to keep the noise and dust during MC Management work hours to a minimum.

Please note that during construction you will not have access to a refrigerator, microwave, toaster, coffee makers [oh dear], water cooler [but...water???!!!], kitchen closets, or the vending machines.  You will also not have access to the time clock located in the kitchen.  Please plan accordingly!

If any dishes, plates, cups, utensils, etc. are yours, please remove them prior to Wednesday, the 16th.   The kitchen cabinets will be completely emptied on Thursday, November 17th. 

The two refrigerators will be completely emptied and cleaned Friday morning, November 18th.

The vending machines will be removed sometime during the week of November 14th – 18th in preparation for the renovations.

Thanks in advance for your patience and cooperation.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, bilgistic said:

My boss won't let me stay home, so now I get to be miserable on Friday and over the weekend.

Please cough all over any papers or files you need to hand to him today.  It is wrong and awful, but I'll go to confession and say penance for you.

• Love 5
On 11/8/2016 at 1:33 AM, Sun-Bun said:

And another thing: why is it so damned difficult to find detailed weekly opening/closing hours online for so many businesses? I go to google a place these days and half the time I'm doing multiple frustrated searches just to find the damned hours listed anywhere---that's just ridiculous!!! 

A few years ago we needed a very specific item that you could only get in a few places, so I googled where I knew we could find it and the website didn't list business hours, but it had a phone number. Call them up to ask, and the guy couldn't have sounded more bored and disinterested in telling me. I have been in situations where all you do is answer the same damn questions day in and day out, but you know what would have solved that? Putting the damn hours on your website in the first place!

• Love 1

Here's my peeve: people who have to reschedule and are SHOCKED and SURPRISED that I too have things on my plate and can't be available for whatever new time they've arbitrarily chosen. Like the world revolves around their calendar and whaddaya mean you have other commitments? Huh? Especially when they do this last minute. Grrr.

Sorry to hear about the office kitchen renos. That sounds like a headache. But how generous that everyone will still be able to use the restroom! Boss Of The Year.

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, glowlights said:

Here's my peeve: people who have to reschedule and are SHOCKED and SURPRISED that I too have things on my plate and can't be available for whatever new time they've arbitrarily chosen. Like the world revolves around their calendar and whaddaya mean you have other commitments? Huh? Especially when they do this last minute. Grrr.

Sorry to hear about the office kitchen renos. That sounds like a headache. But how generous that everyone will still be able to use the restroom! Boss Of The Year.

Concur! Along those lines are those who make appointments, are late then dis one for objecting to their being significantly late. Hello, MY time is important,too and if I can rearrange things and factor in how long getting from Points A B and C to your D then you can at least acknowledge how inconvenient and thoughtless your action has been rather than accuse me of taking a tude for calling you on your tardiness.

• Love 1

Haha, they're not all terrible, and we do have other bathrooms farther away but it's funny that they had to specify that.

Once, under the old regime of execs, there was a water main break nearby that affected our building. Instead of telling us to go home, they sent an e-mail telling us to use the bathroom at the diner down the street (we're on a highway). Then, after that--again instead of just surrendering and closing for the day...

they rented us a hotel room in which someone would sit all day to let people in to use the bathroom!

• Love 3

Too right! Being late requires an apology, not a huffy defense. Especially when they're not late because of something unavoidable but rather their own poor time management.Sheesh!

ETA Tattle Teeny I hope that hotel room was a hospitality suite with snacks! LOL 

Edited by glowlights
  • Love 1

Adding to the Annoying/Inaccurate Business Websites Peeve, restaurants which have elaborate websites and Facebook pages, but don't post their damned menus.   I have food intolerances that are impossible to explain simply to wait staff (anyone here know what FODMAPS are?)  In order to avoid being that customer at a restaurant ("Does that contain onions? Can it be made without onions?), I check out menus in advance.  It also minimizes the effect of my other restaurant peeve, restaurants that are so dark I have to use my iPhone flashlight to read the menu.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Quof said:

Adding to the Annoying/Inaccurate Business Websites Peeve, restaurants which have elaborate websites and Facebook pages, but don't post their damned menus.   I have food intolerances that are impossible to explain simply to wait staff (anyone here know what FODMAPS are?)  In order to avoid being that customer at a restaurant ("Does that contain onions? Can it be made without onions?), I check out menus in advance.  It also minimizes the effect of my other restaurant peeve, restaurants that are so dark I have to use my iPhone flashlight to read the menu.

As the parent of a small child, I also think it would be nice if the restaurants that do post menus would post the kids' menu (or say they don't have one). It helps me decide if that's a place we want to go. And if I know they don't have one, I know that's not a place to go (although usually I can tell if something is too fancy for a child, and very few places around here are).

Of course, I'd also like if restaurants had two stages of kids' dishes because a 4-5-year-old won't eat as much as a 10-year-old. I don't mind paying what we pay, but I hate to see all that food go to waste when I know if we put it in a box and take it home, we won't eat it. It would just be easier if they would make half the spaghetti and broccoli in the first place. (I'd still pay the same price. It's not that much.)

• Love 1
4 hours ago, glowlights said:

Here's my peeve: people who have to reschedule and are SHOCKED and SURPRISED that I too have things on my plate and can't be available for whatever new time they've arbitrarily chosen.

Along those same lines, I refuse to wait more than 45 minutes at a doctor's office. Every time I've reached that limit and left, the receptionist acts SO SHOCKED that someone other than the imperial majesty MD might also have a timetable.

• Love 6
19 hours ago, Moose135 said:

Well that sucks!  Hope you feel better.

Yeah, I feel like doodoo today. My boss was actually human and let me go home before I'd worked nine hours. I'm waiting for the window of the last rather ineffective cold meds to expire so I can take NyQuil and hopefully pass out.

6 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Attention-seeking adult siblings. There's my peeve today (even if I feel bad for saying so).

I have one of those. I've talked about her and her dramatic Facebook posts. She tells the world (her 1,000+ "friends") what she won't tell her family.

In other peeve news, I came home to a note on my apartment door from an unidentified neighbor(s). They asked me to turn down my TV at night. The note said "we".

There's a single guy below me and a single woman above me, a hallway to the right, a parking lot to the front, a single woman to the back, and another unit to the right (my bedroom side) that's kind of part of an adjoined building. My detective work therefore tells me that the note could have come only from the bedroom side, but I never even hear anyone over there, and I can hear my upstairs neighbor peeing when we are both in our bathrooms at the same time. Point being: shitty construction.

I have very good hearing and always keep the TV volume as low as possible, and use captions. The sound travels weirdly in these buildings. I used to think the loud former tenant downstairs shared my bedroom wall, based on how it sounded.

What irritates me is that we're all grown here and they could leave their name or come talk to me in person; I'm far from intimidating. I've left notes for my neighbors with my name/unit number/phone number and/or went to talk to them in person. I understand not wanting to be confrontational, but leaving an anonymous note is lame.

I've given this way more head space than it deserves. I'm crabby. Stupid cold.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, lordonia said:

Along those same lines, I refuse to wait more than 45 minutes at a doctor's office. Every time I've reached that limit and left, the receptionist acts SO SHOCKED that someone other than the imperial majesty MD might also have a timetable.

Oh boy Ive encountered that attitude in medical offices and it is NOT okay. I'm usually fine though  if they alert me when I arrive that they had to squeeze in an emergency or something. That's showing respect for everyone's time. 

• Love 3
49 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

What irritates me is that we're all grown here and they could leave their name or come talk to me in person; I'm far from intimidating. I've left notes for my neighbors with my name/unit number/phone number and/or went to talk to them in person. I understand not wanting to be confrontational, but leaving an anonymous note is lame.

I guess you'll have to turn up the volume this weekend.  If someone does say something and mentions the note, just say "Note? What note?"

• Love 2

Point being: shitty construction.

I have had a ton of apartments in my life--actual built-to-be-apartment buildings and, more often, a floor in a house converted to a two-family. You'd think the former would be much better soundproofed/insulated, as they were originally constructed for the sole purpose of multi-household living. But nope!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 3

My pet peeve is workers at a counter service coffee/food place are too busy with something other than their job, to do their job.

I walked up to a dunkin donut place - one that was inside a store - to get a cup of coffee.  I was the only customer, there was one employee - and he was standing at the counter, on his phone.   I stood for a minute, and he either didn't see me, or ignored me because he was dong something else.  I know you only make minimum wage, and I know that it's  late afternoon, not the time of day everyone gets coffee.  But you are getting paid  TO GET ME COFFEE. 

After a bit, I announced, loudly, "I guess you're too busy to wait on customers today!"  At which point he looked up, in surprise, and tried to wait on me, but I was already walking away.  

Something similar happened to me a few weeks ago, again at a Dunkin Donuts, in the mall.  This time there were 3 customers, all looking at the sign that said $1.99 lattes during certain hours (late afternoon).   Well, yeah, but not if there's NOBODY there! 

• Love 3
6 hours ago, glowlights said:

Oh boy Ive encountered that attitude in medical offices and it is NOT okay. I'm usually fine though  if they alert me when I arrive that they had to squeeze in an emergency or something. That's showing respect for everyone's time. 

I agree-- if a doctor has a valid reason for being late (like an urgent emergency [might be an oxymoron, because generally emergencies are urgent]), that wouldn't be so bad. It's when you wait...and wait...and wait for a doctor who's late for no reason that would bug me.

• Love 3

If a doctor has an emergency and has been significantly delayed, I would expect the office staff to call subsequent patients to notify them and ask if they want to reschedule. They already do that if the doctor will be out unexpectedly, but somehow patients wasting time is acceptable.

Even though I'm cutting off my nose to spite my face -- because there's a reason I need to see the doctor and have perhaps waited weeks for that appointment -- I still walk out. My 45 minute clock doesn't stop once I'm in the exam room, either. That's just more waiting except I get to hear the doctor in the hallway going into other rooms first.

I also resent being asked to come in 15 or 20 or even 30 minutes BEFORE my appointment if I'm a new patient. Screw that. I've already filled out the health history and other forms online and sent it ahead.

Silver lining: If Medicare is gutted then I won't be going to doctor at all any more. Problems solved!

• Love 3

My peeve is reading comments and arriving at those that just post a video without a description. I don't want to have to play it just to find out if I want to watch it. I also hate links that don't describe the information they're linking to at all. You aren't getting paid for clicks; just tell me what it's about!

• Love 14
10 hours ago, backformore said:

My pet peeve is workers at a counter service coffee/food place are too busy with something other than their job, to do their job. 

Does Dunkin have a feedback form on their site? I would let them know. Even if he was so engrossed in his phone call that he didn't see you... he shouldn't be on engrossing calls during shift.

Bilgistic, The anonymous tenants letter is pretty crappy. Maybe you should let management know that neighbors are leaving anonymous notes and you already keep the volume low so you don't appreciate being harassed. Preemptive strike.

Lordonia I really hope your access to healthcare isn't impacted, long waits or no. :(

(sorry multi quote is hard on my phone)

• Love 2
12 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

I have had a ton of apartments in my life--actual built-to-be-apartment buildings and, more often, a floor in a house converted to a two-family. You'd think the former would be much better soundproofed/insulated, as they were originally constructed for the sole purpose of multi-household living. But nope!

Exactly! I've only ever lived in "multifamily" housing since I left home at 18, including one year in a college dorm. I could count the number of apartments, but it would take awhile, and my head hurts. There is zero soundproofing in MF housing. Zero! WTF, builders??

• Love 2

WTF, builders??

To add to this, if I never see another builder-grade overhead "boob lamp," it will be too soon. Like onions, they are ridiculously ubiquitous. In fact, "finally escape form boob lamps" may have actually been in my "pros" column for buying a home.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, lordonia said:

If a doctor has an emergency and has been significantly delayed, I would expect the office staff to call subsequent patients to notify them and ask if they want to reschedule. They already do that if the doctor will be out unexpectedly, but somehow patients wasting time is acceptable.

Even though I'm cutting off my nose to spite my face -- because there's a reason I need to see the doctor and have perhaps waited weeks for that appointment -- I still walk out. My 45 minute clock doesn't stop once I'm in the exam room, either. That's just more waiting except I get to hear the doctor in the hallway going into other rooms first.

I also resent being asked to come in 15 or 20 or even 30 minutes BEFORE my appointment if I'm a new patient. Screw that. I've already filled out the health history and other forms online and sent it ahead.

Silver lining: If Medicare is gutted then I won't be going to doctor at all any more. Problems solved!

I go to get a checkup of sorts every month to two months. My doc's office opens at 7:40. I make my appointment at 8 or 8:20. I ALWAYS have to wait about 15 minutes. Doc, if you push everyone back 15 minutes, you need to be scheduling them to reflect that! Time isn't a nebulous concept!

I used to be a medical assistant in a doctor's office.  We would triple book certain appointment slots under the assumption that some patients' appointments would only last 3 minutes because they were coming for a dressing change or whatever easy thing that I would do.  Sometimes the dressing changes weren't so easy because the wound was infected, and then everything got pushed back because they actually did need to see a doctor.  Other slots were almost always double booked, except new patient slots.  I would always let patients know if we were a little behind schedule though, and for the most part we managed to keep everyone on time, except for rare days.  You can book one appointment per slot and keep everyone happy, but it's tough though, because if we only book one appointment, and then the person cancels or flat out doesn't show, they've lost money. Despite the bill you get, they're not necessarily making a ton and it's sheisty to bill for missed appointments, so we didn't.   We had a lot of regular Medicare patients because it was a podiatry office, and they were the hardest to keep happy between room preferences, doctor preferences, and just being older.  It was hard to schedule around that kind of thing, so we'd limit those to Tuesdays if we could.  I remember one lady who used to schedule for the first appointment at 8am, and then get upset when no one was there when she showed up at 7:30 - like she expected to be seen BEFORE her appointment.  That's not how this works.  

The only time I get annoyed at having to wait is if the office is empty and I'm the only one sitting there, if the doctor walks in while I'm sitting there and it's past my appointment time and they were clearly out playing golf, or if I can hear the doctors shooting the shit while I'm waiting.  Otherwise, I just assume they're busy.  I see the appointment less as an absolute time and more of a schedule of the order they'll see patients.  

• Love 6

I also think it would be nice if the restaurants that do post menus would post the kids' menu (or say they don't have one

Why would their website state "We don't have a kids' menu"?   No other website would state what the business doesn't sell.  (KFC website "We don't have prime rib.")

• Love 1