Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

7 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

You can take a screenshot on an Android by pressing the power and volume up button. There are also hand gestures over the screen but I'm not sure what they are anymore.

On my Samsung phone, I place the side of my hand across the whole screen and swipe left to capture a screenshot.  

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
16 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

On my Samsung phone, I place the side of my hand across the whole screen and swipe left to capture a screenshot.  

Yep, that's how I do it on my Samsung Galaxy. I'm switching to an iPhone next month after I get back from vacation. My friends and family have finally worn me down.

I can't recommend an ad blocker for this site enough. It was getting impossible to read and navigate anything here before I started using one.

• Like 3
On 11/5/2023 at 1:54 PM, Bastet said:

....  I wish we stayed on Daylight Saving (no S) Time all year, but I know the whole hoopla about kids waiting for school buses in the dark (here's a thought: don't start school so obscenely early any time of year).  ...

@Bastet, is there room for me on your bandwagon? I accepted the hoopla about kids waiting for the school buses in the dark for years. Then I learned that, because of our aging population and smaller families, the percentage of U.S. households with school-age children is about 20 percent. So why must 100 percent of the people, including those school children, disrupt their body clocks every six months? Change the school hours and keep Daylight Saving Time year-round.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

Ok, this is me today.  My husband recently retired, which is fine, but he has decided to take an interest in cooking.  Dear god.  We can't just have mashed potatoes with dinner tonight, he's looking up recipes with names like browned butter mashed potatoes with garlic.  I'm sorry but during the week this is not happening. I am trying to decide whether I should let him loose in the kitchen (this has not gone well in the past) or whether I can distract him - "hey honey tell me more about that Rolling Stones concert you went to that time"....

Mad Looney Tunes GIF by MOODMAN

Edited by Laura Holt
  • Hugs 1
  • LOL 16
16 minutes ago, Laura Holt said:

Ok, this is me today.  My husband recently retired, which is fine, but he has decided to take an interest in cooking.  Dear god.  We can't just have mashed potatoes with dinner tonight, he's looking up recipes with names like browned butter mashed potatoes with garlic.  I'm sorry but during the week this is not happening. I am trying to decide whether I should let him loose in the kitchen (this has not gone well in the past) or whether I can distract him - "hey honey tell me more about that Rolling Stones concert you went to that time"....

I'm dreading my husband retiring. He's a very active dude, not to call him ahem..hyper but on his days off he will sit there (in my spot, no less) and watch Youtube videos all day. This cannot happen. And like you are dealing with, Laura, he has started following me around in the kitchen, wanting to know why I do this or that. If he wants to learn to cook, I'm all for it but not weird stuff.

• Like 6
35 minutes ago, Laura Holt said:

I'm always down for garlic mashed potatoes, but the browned butter seems like an unnecessary step.  Browned butter in the sauce that goes on top of the mashed potatoes, yes, but in them feels like a waste of time.  

• Like 4

When my husband retired from a job that had him mostly working overseas, it was a bit of an adjustment 🙄. And then, one day he walked into the kitchen and said, "Oh, by the way, I changed the water temperature on the washing machine" (I think it was the water temp for a load I'd just put in).  I totally lost it and told him to stop changing whatever I'm doing, etc , etc., etc!! He got the message 🙂

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 4

My vitamin subscription is so annoying! They send the next month’s only about a week after I open the previous bottle. There’s no way to adjust this apparently and they swear there’s no error. And I swear, I feel enraged when I see the “we’re getting your order ready!” email! I just can’t figure this out. 

That said, I also can’t figure out why it gets on my nerves so much either! It just does!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 1
  • Hugs 2

I feel better today but yesterday was a "Wake up on the wrong side of the bed" day for me.  Co-worker was getting under my skin more than normal, my mom's chicken tasted more gamey than normal and the broccoli more dry, and some claims were driving me nuts.  

Sometimes I wonder what goes on with me on days like that.  I have a day like that once every few weeks I just wake up extremely irritable for no reason 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 4
5 hours ago, Laura Holt said:

4 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I'm always down for garlic mashed potatoes, but the browned butter seems like an unnecessary step.  Browned butter in the sauce that goes on top of the mashed potatoes, yes, but in them feels like a waste of time.  

I’ve never heard of browned butter mashed potatoes, yet I just saw a recipe for them in the latest Real Simple magazine and you’ve mentioned them today…interesting how things like that happen 🤔

• Love 1
10 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I'm dreading my husband retiring. He's a very active dude, not to call him ahem..hyper but on his days off he will sit there (in my spot, no less) and watch Youtube videos all day. This cannot happen. And like you are dealing with, Laura, he has started following me around in the kitchen, wanting to know why I do this or that. If he wants to learn to cook, I'm all for it but not weird stuff.

Hahaha .. just you wait.  Little by little.  He will take over.  When mine isn’t watching the sports channel, he shops the best, washes the clothes the best and even clips coupons the best.  But, he can’t cook a shit like me.  Only makes brownies.

• Like 3
  • LOL 2
12 hours ago, Laura Holt said:

We can't just have mashed potatoes with dinner tonight, he's looking up recipes with names like browned butter mashed potatoes with garlic.  I'm sorry but during the week this is not happening.

I get he wants to be creative, but I wouldn't blame you for not wanting that-- that'd be far too exotic for me as well.

• Like 3

Peeve :   So, I had an Ad blocker on for awhile and no more ads and screen jumping around.  Things were fine.  For some reason, I took it off.  Maybe because sites didn’t like I had it on.  So I took it off.  Now, again, my screen is disappearing and jumping around again with lots of ads too.  Guess I have to put the blocker on again ??????.  Does everyone here have them on ???????.  Seems as this site needs them.

• Like 2
14 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

My vitamin subscription is so annoying! They send the next month’s only about a week after I open the previous bottle. There’s no way to adjust this apparently and they swear there’s no error. And I swear, I feel enraged when I see the “we’re getting your order ready!” email! I just can’t figure this out. 

That said, I also can’t figure out why it gets on my nerves so much either! It just does!

It gets on your nerves because they're in the "driver's seat", not you. This is why I won't sign up for any type of Rx or OTC med, either with a mail pharmacy or Amazon. 

• Like 1
13 hours ago, BlueSkies said:

I feel better today but yesterday was a "Wake up on the wrong side of the bed" day for me.  Co-worker was getting under my skin more than normal, my mom's chicken tasted more gamey than normal and the broccoli more dry, and some claims were driving me nuts.  

Sometimes I wonder what goes on with me on days like that.  I have a day like that once every few weeks I just wake up extremely irritable for no reason 

PMS.  Trust me at any age.  Even tho I don’t get the monthly,  I still feel lousy every month the same days.  No doctor can tell me different as I know my body.

• Useful 2
4 hours ago, kristen111 said:

Peeve :   So, I had an Ad blocker on for awhile and no more ads and screen jumping around.  Things were fine.  For some reason, I took it off.  Maybe because sites didn’t like I had it on.  So I took it off.  Now, again, my screen is disappearing and jumping around again with lots of ads too.  Guess I have to put the blocker on again ??????.  Does everyone here have them on ???????.  Seems as this site needs them.

So, you were having problems.  You got an ad blocker and the problems went away.  You took off the ad blocker and the problems came back.  And you're wondering if you need to put the ad blocker back on.  My guess would be yes 😉 (and check the ad blocker settings - there should be a way to whitelist sites that don't need it or won't work with it on).

But seriously, I've had to use ad blockers for years, and not just for this site.  I don't mind "polite" ads (not moving, not covering content, maybe even relevant to what's on the site) but this and other sites have gone way beyond that!  (Bringing things back to Pet Peeves.)

• Like 6
  • Applause 5
15 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

The company that does my nightguard subscription does something similar.  I figured out how this happens--the company bases the date for my reorder on the date the previous order was placed.  The date you received the order does not factor into this.  So depending on how long it took for your vitamin company to package and ship the order, and how long it took for you to get the order once shipped, it does appear to you that they send the next order early, but not to them.    

• Like 1
  • Useful 3
27 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

So, you were having problems.  You got an ad blocker and the problems went away.  You took off the ad blocker and the problems came back.  And you're wondering if you need to put the ad blocker back on.  My guess would be yes 😉 (and check the ad blocker settings - there should be a way to whitelist sites that don't need it or won't work with it on).

But seriously, I've had to use ad blockers for years, and not just for this site.  I don't mind "polite" ads (not moving, not covering content, maybe even relevant to what's on the site) but this and other sites have gone way beyond that!  (Bringing things back to Pet Peeves.)

Well, thanks for that.  I knew diddly squat about ad blockers, but will put it back on right now. 👍😀

• Like 2
43 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

The company that does my nightguard subscription does something similar.  I figured out how this happens--the company bases the date for my reorder on the date the previous order was placed.  The date you received the order does not factor into this.  So depending on how long it took for your vitamin company to package and ship the order, and how long it took for you to get the order once shipped, it does appear to you that they send the next order early, but not to them.    

Well, thank you! Now help me figure out why it bugs me, haha! It's not like I don't have space in the cabinet, so what's my damn problem?

It gets on your nerves because they're in the "driver's seat", not you. This is why I won't sign up for any type of Rx or OTC med, either with a mail pharmacy or Amazon. 

Maybe I feel pressured to have so many vitamins, haha!

Edited by TattleTeeny

Holy fucking hell, Ebay has become so annoying for selling! It's like a guessing game to figure out why your listing isn't showing up right or how to make a change later. 

Because my foot doctor has advised me to quit some types of shoes, I have been putting some of my pricier barely/never worn stuff up (that and the fact that I work at home now and don't need as much clothing. Mostly the first reason though). It's always been a tedious process, as I like to be very thorough in the hope of avoiding excessive questions, but it seems even more so now. I am not perfect at this by any means, but this is not a task on The Amazing Race -- please just tell me in detail what it is that needs to be fixed!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 5
  • Hugs 1
On 11/8/2023 at 1:01 PM, Laura Holt said:

We can't just have mashed potatoes with dinner tonight, he's looking up recipes with names like browned butter mashed potatoes with garlic

That sounds amazing. Can you procure the recipe and share with the rest of us?

• Like 3
  • Love 1

My peeve of the day: how come I need three separate strengths of glasses and I rarely find the one I need? Yes I know about progressives, but people complain about those too. I have a favorite pair that I can't find. Not on top of my head, for the peanut gallery.

• Like 3
  • LOL 4
On 11/8/2023 at 7:45 PM, TattleTeeny said:

My vitamin subscription is so annoying! They send the next month’s only about a week after I open the previous bottle. There’s no way to adjust this apparently and they swear there’s no error.

I have an 'as needed' prescription for a nasal spray to deal with seasonal allergies, so I may need it in May/June but not need a refill until Sept/Oct. I wanted to use the online ordering system through my Rx but when I get the text notification to reorder there is no 'skip this month' the only option other than placing the order is "stop notification", which means I have to call it in the next time. So frustrating. 

On 11/8/2023 at 4:39 PM, Ohiopirate02 said:

I'm always down for garlic mashed potatoes, but the browned butter seems like an unnecessary step. 

Many years ago, when my youngest was in her early teens, she got hooked on the cooling show, Barefoot Contessa hosted by Ina Garten. In December of whatever year she did a holiday show and in it she featured a "Christmas Morning French Toast Bake" or something along those lines. Anyway, my daughter wanted me to make it for our Christmas morning, so I took a look at the recipe, wholey moley, it had about 20 ingredients and a dozen steps to making it, but what got me was the 2 tbsp of Grand Marnier liqueur it required. At the time I was living paycheck to paycheck and I did not have $50 to spring on a bottle of alcohol that I would only need a little bit of. Needless to say it didn't happen and she was disappointed but we laugh about it now.

My pet peeve today is trying to find a true crime podcast that doesn't have 2 hosts yucking it up with each other while telling the story. I want a narrator, not a commentator. Not to mention it is usually not a topic that is meant to be light-hearted.

• Like 3

Many years ago, when my youngest was in her early teens, she got hooked on the cooling show, Barefoot Contessa hosted by Ina Garten. In December of whatever year she did a holiday show and in it she featured a "Christmas Morning French Toast Bake" or something along those lines. Anyway, my daughter wanted me to make it for our Christmas morning, so I took a look at the recipe, wholey moley, it had about 20 ingredients and a dozen steps to making it, but what got me was the 2 tbsp of Grand Marnier liqueur it required. At the time I was living paycheck to paycheck and I did not have $50 to spring on a bottle of alcohol that I would only need a little bit of. Needless to say it didn't happen and she was disappointed but we laugh about it now.

I went through an Ina phase too. My husband got me one of her cookbooks for Christmas and I've never made a single recipe from it. Literally every recipe called for some kind of expensive liqueur. Just not in the budget. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
22 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Holy fucking hell, Ebay has become so annoying for selling! It's like a guessing game to figure out why your listing isn't showing up right or how to make a change later. 

Yeah, I just did some listings for the first time in a couple of years and it is a real maze. Worse yet is the new "Authentication" function that sellers of fine jewelry (of which I am one) and designer clothes/accessories (not me, thankfully) can sign up for - it turns out (and I just went through this with a super great long term seller that has 100% feedback) that it seems geared toward proving everything is not "exactly as described" but not giving any reasons to the seller for rejecting the item. So you have a week's delay on receiving something you won and paid for and then the whole thing gets cancelled with no explanation provided to anyone. eBay is shooting themselves in the foot with all this! And I am one of the original buyer/sellers so its making me really sad.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 3
3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I went through an Ina phase too. My husband got me one of her cookbooks for Christmas and I've never made a single recipe from it. Literally every recipe called for some kind of expensive liqueur. Just not in the budget. 

I have most of her cookbooks. The one I've used the most is Back to Basics and since I don't like the taste of liquor in my food, I avoid recipes that call for it. There are a lot of good recipes in this book: Herb-marinated Loin of Pork (I use tenderloins); French chocolate bark; Roasted Shrimp cocktail; Cape Cod Salad; Garlic Ciabatta; Italian Wedding Soup; Orange Pecan Wild Rice; and Confetti Corn. I also love Fattoush but don't know which cookbook it's in. If you go to Food Network, you can look up Ina's recipes.  I sorely miss that show, every afternoon around 5:00, Monday - Friday. I learned a great way to do flower arrangements (all the same color, different flowers) and how to fold cloth napkins (no ironed crease!)  I believe her last cookbook (2022) has way too  many recipes with booze in them and I haven't used it yet.

Edited by annzeepark914
  • Like 10
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I have most of her cookbooks. The one I've used the most is Back to Basics and since I don't like the taste of liquor in my food, I avoid recipes that call for it. There are a lot of good recipes in this book: Herb-marinated Loin of Pork (I use tenderloins); French chocolate bark; Roasted Shrimp cocktail; Cape Cod Salad; Garlic Ciabatta; Italian Wedding Soup; Orange Pecan Wild Rice; and Confetti Corn. I also love Fattoush but don't know which cookbook it's in. If you go to Food Network, you can look up Ina's recipes.  I sorely miss that show, every afternoon around 5:00, Monday - Friday. I learned a great way to do flower arrangements (all the same color, different flowers) and how to fold cloth napkins (no ironed crease!)  I believe her last cookbook (2022) has way too  many recipes with booze in them and I haven't used it yet.

Oh yeah, that's not to say I've never made any of her dishes. I have and I stand by her chocolate cupcakes with Hershey's syrup til I die. But the particular book was her newest at the time and I was at stymied by it.

• Like 2
  • Useful 2

Her chocolate cupcakes with peanut butter frosting are fabulous (and I remember thinking, "I don't think I want peanut butter on cupcakes"). When I made the frosting I just put a little PB in with the other ingredients and tasted it.  I liked it and added just a bit more.  Wow...they were delicious! Her Tartar Sauce is great and we love her Lobster & Shells pasta salad (except I use large shrimp). I'm getting hungry!

• Like 3
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 2

I know Pioneer Woman gets a lot of flak for some of her recipes but I have to say at least when I look at her stuff it's mostly ingredients I will actually have in the house!  That said a few years ago when we moved I went through my cookbooks and got rid of most of them when I realized I looked through them but I never actually used them.

Good old Betty Crocker is now my go to for basic recipes (and for reminders of how long to cook a roast and at what temp).    Mostly though my recipes are in a file folder for the ones I use again and again.  If I want to be creative I'll go online but they can be so tricky.  My one rule of thumb for online is if the writer says "family favourite, my kids stand up and cheer" it's probably not very good 😄!

• Like 1
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 3
On 11/7/2023 at 7:17 PM, Laura Holt said:

I only see the ads on my Amazon Fire and they've been a bit better for me, at least in terms of not covering the whole screen! But there is an absolutely disgusting one for toenail fungus that makes me feel sick whenever it shows up.

Where's that vomit response when you need it?  🤮

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 3
23 hours ago, nokat said:

My peeve of the day: how come I need three separate strengths of glasses and I rarely find the one I need? Yes I know about progressives, but people complain about those too. I have a favorite pair that I can't find. Not on top of my head, for the peanut gallery.

Don't you just love that we have a warm and friendly place where we can whine  to our heart's content, every day if we want, and receive ♥️s and 🤗s?

• Like 1
  • Wink 2
  • Love 7
11 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Re: Ina Garten

My mom likes Ina Garten, and whenever she buys a denim shirt, she says she got another "Barefoot Contessa shirt". 

Something about Ms. Garten reminds me of my fifth grade teacher. 

Just how many denim shirts does your mom have?!

1 hour ago, EtheltoTillie said:

The brown butter potatoes have a cup of half and half, a cup of sour cream, and 12 Tb butter. Heart attack on a plate. And I am definitely trying them. 

You want mashed potato heart-attack-on-a-plate?  Just google "Joel Robuchon's mashed potatoes".  Apparently they're to die for* - the ratio of potatoes to butter is 2:1.

* literally?

• LOL 7
13 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

My mom likes Ina Garten, and whenever she buys a denim shirt, she says she got another "Barefoot Contessa shirt". 

Something about Ms. Garten reminds me of my fifth grade teacher. 

I attended an event with Ina and Nigella Lawson last year.  Ina wore an oversized black shirt with a bit of sparkle, plain black trousers and black velvet smoking slippers. Her hair was shiny and glorious.  She was warm, friendly and everything you think she would be.   Nigella wore a fabulous fuchsia pantsuit, and was cold and bitchy.  

• Like 7
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, Quof said:

I attended an event with Ina and Nigella Lawson last year.  Ina wore an oversized black shirt with a bit of sparkle, plain black trousers and black velvet smoking slippers. Her hair was shiny and glorious.  She was warm, friendly and everything you think she would be.   Nigella wore a fabulous fuchsia pantsuit, and was cold and bitchy.  

It’s nice to hear Ina was nice. I’ve had a couple of experiences meeting a celeb and they were dismissive, and this was at a fan meetup.  To be fair, it must be annoying and exhausting for them. But I’ve avoided such things ever since. 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Quof said:

Ina has always been warm and down to earth on her shows. I always felt like I was perched on a stool in her house kitchen (in the original show), and she was showing me how to make wonderful foods. She & her husband are so funny--I love their sense of humor. 

• Like 7
20 hours ago, KittyMom4 said:

My pet peeve today is trying to find a true crime podcast that doesn't have 2 hosts yucking it up with each other while telling the story. I want a narrator, not a commentator. Not to mention it is usually not a topic that is meant to be light-hearted.

Have you tried Truth & Justice With Bob Ruff? It's my absolute favorite. He is a true deep-diver into the cases he covers, which are mainly focused on possible wrongful convictions (and he and his audience have been instrumental in helping get people freed). If you like the meticulous details of an investigation, you may like this podcast (but if you want a new case delivered in an hour once a week, probably not). 

I do like some of the funny ones (usually less about the crimes themselves than they are about the documentaries about the crimes, if that makes sense) as well and I do get what they're doing. However, there's a way to do it and so many do not know that way. For example, I despise My Favorite Murder and if I had a dollar for every time someone suggested it to me, I would have a few extra dollars!

I have been a true-crime follower since forever (like I remember when Forensic Files was called Medical Detectives) and I get kind of bitchy about the more recent and tabloidy contributions to the genre, and even more annoyed at a lot of the enthusiasts -- especially when they think I would like something stupid like Wives With Knives and Killer Women and other shows that do not even get details right. I don't mean to be a "gatekeeper" about it, but ugh.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 2

I gave them a couple of chances with cases I am already familiar with (that’s how I decide if I can trust a podcast, haha!). They said so many wrong things that I just couldn’t believe their popularity. 

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 3
2 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

I gave them a couple of chances with cases I am already familiar with (that’s how I decide if I can trust a podcast, haha!). They said so many wrong things that I just couldn’t believe their popularity. 

Have any of these crime shows ever "solved" the Jonbenet case?

6 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Have any of these crime shows ever "solved" the Jonbenet case?

Ooooooh, speaking of pet peeves, man (extremely protracted frustrating peeves). Surely someone can do this before I shuffle off this mortal coil?! Come on, please, finally! Damn it.

That said, that case was one of the ones I used to give idiot My Favorite Murder a chance.

Edited by TattleTeeny