Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

On 10/26/2023 at 6:19 PM, Laura Holt said:

He's not in the best of health and I don't have the heart to make this an issue since it's temporary.  Ear plugs are my new best friends.

He left after lunch and my house is so quiet now.  Lesson learned - I've taken the TV out of the spare bedroom. Never again!

• Like 3
  • Applause 2

Okay, I have a peeve when it comes to people dissing anyone who grieves publicly. I'm not talking about those who make something all about themselves. I have a friend who lost a parent earlier this year. She posts things regularly, because all of the people on her friend's list, are people she knows and loves in person, or has known online since around 2006 or before. I'm one of the latter. She shares pictures and thoughts from her everyday life. She doesn't jump on bandwagons, and is always thoughtful, yet she has someone she has known in person - connected through one of her best friends - who makes flippant remarks about her posts about that parent. She also has the impression that a few others think she should be over it by now. If they don't want to see it, they can mute her, unfollow, whatever. Instead, they think their feelings about the way she chooses to express herself, are more important than *her* feelings about her loss, and the impact it has had on her life, every single day, and will continue to do so, for the rest of her life. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 8
25 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

They don't sound like the kind of friends I'd want in my life. 

Agreed.  I have some extended family members who overshare on FB - I mean they treat it as if it is their personal journal.  But that's not my problem as long as I have the ability to use the ignore function.  And I do.

4 hours ago, Anela said:

She doesn't jump on bandwagons, and is always thoughtful, yet she has someone she has known in person - connected through one of her best friends - who makes flippant remarks about her posts about that parent.

Do you mean this person is making these comments directly to your bereaved friend?  Wow.  That's just awful.

• Like 6

Just talking to my daughter and someone in their neighbourhood put a religious tract in the children's Halloween bags instead of a treat.  Well I guess it beats razor blades or a tooth brush 🙄.  But c'mon people.  Do you really think little Mary or Billy is going to read your little sermon and hasten down to their nearest church?  Lighten up!

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 11
10 minutes ago, Laura Holt said:

Well I guess it beats razor blades or a tooth brush 🙄.

At least those are useful.

There's someone in my neighborhood who stuffs the nearest Little Free Library with religious pamphlets, but I've never heard of anyone handing them out as Halloween "treats"!

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 5
16 minutes ago, Laura Holt said:

Just talking to my daughter and someone in their neighbourhood put a religious tract in the children's Halloween bags instead of a treat.  Well I guess it beats razor blades or a tooth brush 🙄.  But c'mon people.  Do you really think little Mary or Billy is going to read your little sermon and hasten down to their nearest church?  Lighten up!

Whoa...that's crazy.  My parents had a dentist friend who'd do the toothbrush thing.  Not kidding. 

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Bastet said:

At least those are useful.

There's someone in my neighborhood who stuffs the nearest Little Free Library with religious pamphlets, but I've never heard of anyone handing them out as Halloween "treats"!

I have. See Chick Tracts. They've been doing that for decades.

7 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

The absolute worst one is the one these people will leave servers as a "tip" on a busy Sunday afternoon.  The tract is designed to look like the back of a twenty dollar bill, and these people will leave this sticking out under a plate as the only tip.  

• Mind Blown 2
  • Sad 7
  • Fire 4
1 hour ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

The absolute worst one is the one these people will leave servers as a "tip" on a busy Sunday afternoon.  The tract is designed to look like the back of a twenty dollar bill, and these people will leave this sticking out under a plate as the only tip.  

I know a lady who either doesn’t tip or tips to the nearest $. So if her bill is $19.12 she will leave $20. I only meet her in McDonalds now. I used to leave extra tip because I know she doesn’t tip…

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
15 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Okay I know "curiosity killed the cat" (well not any cat I've ever been around) but I need to know: What are "Chick Tracts"? (given the name, my mind immediately went to some sort of make up or hair styling instruction manual 😸, but I guess probably not...)

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, isalicat said:

Okay I know "curiosity killed the cat" (well not any cat I've ever been around) but I need to know: What are "Chick Tracts"? (given the name, my mind immediately went to some sort of make up or hair styling instruction manual 😸, but I guess probably not...)

Example and this is a mild one-

image.png.f720cbaa417c507820c96b686f3841a5.png 

• Mind Blown 4
  • Hugs 1
  • Useful 1
22 hours ago, Laura Holt said:

We used to get those. After a few years of eggings and TPings (not by me!) they finally turned out their lights. Life before cameras was pretty great. 🤣

• Like 4
14 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Example and this is a mild one-

image.png.f720cbaa417c507820c96b686f3841a5.png 

Right, that "occultic junk" she just happens to have lying around in her room.  You couldn't make this stuff up.  Except they did.  I may have to go down the wormhole of Chick Publications just to see how bad it is and learn how sheltered I've been.

(If you haven't heard from me in a few days, please come and pull me out of the wormhole.)

• Like 2
  • LOL 3

My friends and I use to laugh and laugh at Chick Tracts in college! Sometimes, being bored art kids, we'd use them to decoupage random things and then leave those things around campus. But a security guard once caught us placing a broken old TV decoupaged with Chick Tracts and candy in a patch of trees. I don't know why or how this came about.

(I feel like this information is somehow a dead giveaway that I'm a Gen X who went to college in the early '90s.)

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • LOL 3

Used to get the New York Times whenever I could at the Publix in Simpsonville; now, I'm thinking about stopping.

The reason why is because it's become what I got it to avoid (I got it today to see if they said anything about Texas' momentous World Series win over Arizona last night; to my dismay, they didn't say a word, only focusing on running, the NFL and college football).

In essence, I got it as an alternative to the Greenville News and the Charlotte Observer; now, hate to say it, but it's becoming like the Greenville News and the Charlotte Observer (just as bad, maybe worse).

That slogan, "All the News That's Fit to Print," may as well be "Less than A Quarter of the News That's Fit to Print."

Also, the paper is no longer called the National Edition; where that moniker was on Page 1 above the weather forecast, it now says "The Weather".

• Sad 5
  • Useful 1
On 10/26/2023 at 6:19 PM, Laura Holt said:

But today, of all days, when the news has been uniformly just awful, is not a day when I need CNN blasting down the hall.  He's not in the best of health and I don't have the heart to make this an issue since it's temporary.  Ear plugs are my new best friends.

Bumping this up-- I feel the same way about FOX "News" for that matter, and that's why an old white-noise machine that my nephew gave me is my new best friend.

• Like 5
  • Hugs 2
  • LOL 1
6 hours ago, bmasters9 said:

Bumping this up-- I feel the same way about FOX "News" for that matter,

I have that channel blocked.  And if the news continues to be as dire as it has been this past couple of weeks I may be blocking all the "all news" channels!

Edited by Laura Holt
  • Like 12
56 minutes ago, Laura Holt said:

I have that channel blocked.  And if the news continues to be as dire as it has been this past couple of weeks I may be blocking all the "all news" channels!

I don't blame you for blocking-- I dislike it because of how loud its opinion shows are, and how little actual reporting it has (practically none of the 5 Ws and one H I grew up around from Eyewitness News and Action News, among others).

• Like 3

I keep forgetting that HBO now streams CNN. The only thing I missed about cable news, was being able to tune in when something was happening, and I wanted to know what was going on (twitter used to be okay for that, but now it's just fake blue-checks being boosted, and it really is noisy to me now, too). 

• Like 1

Today's peeve -  daylight savings time.  Personally I don't really care all that much whether we have it or not but oh boy does my husband care.  So twice a year I get to hear all about how stupid it is that we do this and how we really need to stop doing this until I want to snap "sure ok I'll get right on that!".  On the plus side with fall back we get an extra hour's sleep so that's a good thing.

• Like 4
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 2

Not quite sure how to word this one, but it’s upsetting me, so let’s call it unnecessary special privileges.

So I’ve been a fan of a minor league hockey team for a while now and last week, one of our former players died tragically. (If you follow hockey at all you likely know about this incident; it was a really big deal in the hockey world.) Tonight I saw the team and arena staff and a few fans with pins with his initials and number so when I asked about getting one, one of the staff members said the pins were only for staff and some fans got them when other employees were handing them out. Apparently to be a fan who got one, you had to be in the booster club (fan club) but they will be getting more in three weeks. 

Which, it’s not so much that I can’t wait to buy one or that I needed one tonight, but I think it’s kind of rude/weird when a player has died tragically to only allow staff and certain fans to have a pin honoring him. Like just wait until you get a big enough shipment to sell them? There are some perks I understand only staff will get, and I don’t know/don’t care what they are, but I don’t think this should be one of those things to be exclusive and snobby about. 

• Like 4

Fall Back Sunday:  The one Sunday a year I'm awake to see most of the first half of an NFL game, and the Rams-Packers game is boring as hell.

Fall Back Sunday is a peeve in general; sure, I'll enjoy it feeling like 11:00 instead of 10:00 when I get up for work tomorrow, but it's not at all worth it for the sun setting so damn early.  It gets dark way too early this time of year as it is, and then we pull this shit.  I wish we stayed on Daylight Saving (no S) Time all year, but I know the whole hoopla about kids waiting for school buses in the dark (here's a thought: don't start school so obscenely early any time of year).  Oh, well; as long as we don't ever do away with it, I'll just complain once a year and move on.  So here's my annual complaint, and I'm off to watch the second half.

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 1

But no matter what our clocks say, there are still only about nine and a half hours of daylight this time of year where I live (closer to eight at the winter solstice).  And roughly 16 hours at the summer solstice.

• Useful 3
2 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

Adding to that…I don’t get an extra hour of sleep. I sleep X number of hours and then wake up.

Unfortunately although I am capable of taking advantage of the extra hour, my cats "take after" you - their time for breakfast has nothing to do with what the clock says. 😺

• Like 4
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 2
3 hours ago, isalicat said:

Unfortunately although I am capable of taking advantage of the extra hour, my cats "take after" you - their time for breakfast has nothing to do with what the clock says. 😺

Yep here too! The hungry herd wants to be fed on schedule and they go by body clocks, not our artificial time change clocks. 

With my own feral cats and the visitors I'll have 20+ cat on the front deck looking in the kitchen slider wondering where their breakfasts are! Then on the side porch another passel of around 10 expecting to be fed at the same time!

I have to have everything laid out at night so all I have to do is add the wet to dry and warm up some drinking water for each area. The process takes a good 20-25 minutes to get them all fed! Sun, rain, sleet or snow!!! 😸

• Hugs 3
  • Applause 4
  • Love 1

I was standing in the check-out line at the grocery store yesterday, and the woman behind me tapped me on the shoulder.  "I'm sorry," she said, "but usually I have brochures to hand out.  I'm out of them today.  Do you know Jesus?"

So many responses went through my head, from, "Oh, is he the guy from Mexico who works for the roofing company? Doesn't he pronounce it 'Hey-Zeus?'" (there is one -- he's on their TV commercials) to "Oh, yes, he's my mortal enemy, as I'm an agent of Satan."  I was nice, though, and just said, "I'm good, thanks."

My peeve is people trying to "save" me in the grocery store check out line.  Or anywhere, really.

Edited by Browncoat
  • Like 7
  • Mind Blown 8
  • Applause 3
  • LOL 2
3 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I was standing in the check-out line at the grocery store yesterday, and the woman behind me tapped me on the shoulder.  "I'm sorry," she said, "but usually I have brochures to hand out.  I'm out of them today.  Do you know Jesus?"

So many responses went through my head, from, "Oh, is he the guy from Mexico who works for the roofing company? Doesn't he pronounce it 'Hey-Zeus?'" (there is one -- he's on their TV commercials) to "Oh, yes, he's my mortal enemy, as I'm an agent of Satan."  I was nice, though, and just said, "I'm good, thanks."

My peeve is people trying to "save" me in the grocery store check out line.  Or anywhere, really.

Geez laweze.  I'm trying to think how I'd react. I'd either freeze...or I'd tell her that my grandfather was a minister & I "grew up in the church" (Congregationalist/Methodist) and I'm doing ok. Maybe I'd add that my great uncle was a missionary & was slaughtered during the Boxer Rebellion. I've never liked mission work. Do good things for people and let them come to you on their own.

• Like 10
  • Applause 1

I've never had this happen out in the wild but growing up we used to live on the flight path for Mormons and Jehovah Witnesses and them knocking on the door was a regular occurrence.  The Mormons were better because they were recognizable while the JWs mixed it up and even came solo once in awhile so you could never be quite sure unless they were clutching a religious tract or two.  Got to the point where my mother just never answered the door.

• Like 6
  • LOL 1
22 minutes ago, Laura Holt said:

I've never had this happen out in the wild but growing up we used to live on the flight path for Mormons and Jehovah Witnesses and them knocking on the door was a regular occurrence.  The Mormons were better because they were recognizable while the JWs mixed it up and even came solo once in awhile so you could never be quite sure unless they were clutching a religious tract or two.  Got to the point where my mother just never answered the door.

My grandmother grew up Presbyterian before converting to Catholicism as an adult.  When the Jehovah Witnesses came calling she would invite them in, give them a cup of coffee, light up a cigarette, and start preaching to them.  She did it enough that the JWs stopped showing up at her door.

I like to drop a line from Major League--"Jesus, I like him very much.  But he no help with curveball."

• Like 7
  • LOL 2

I had a customer at my flower shop who tried to get me to come to her church. I told her I was a Deist. This baffled her so much, she stopped bugging me.

• Like 9
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 1

My brand of Christianity follows the example of St. Francis on this issue:

"Preach the Gospel always, and when necessary, use words."

(i.e. words are rarely necessary if you are actually living the Good News)

• Like 3
  • Useful 3
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I don't think I've ever been preached AT other than crazy people handing out pamphlets on the street but I think I'm going to use the Hey-Zeus thing next time/if they ask me.  Maybe I'll say "oh, Hey-Zeus?  Yeah, he married a good friend of mine.  They have two kids now."  HAHAHA

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
38 minutes ago, PRgal said:

I don't think I've ever been preached AT other than crazy people handing out pamphlets on the street but I think I'm going to use the Hey-Zeus thing next time/if they ask me.  Maybe I'll say "oh, Hey-Zeus?  Yeah, he married a good friend of mine.  They have two kids now."  HAHAHA

image.png.a4683cad20d1fba520b148263ffd3207.png

• Like 7
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5
13 hours ago, Browncoat said:

My favorite response is "I'm Jewish, I'm good". Though these days, that could get me beaten up or murdered.

My favorite response to "you're going to hell" isn't "see you there", but "I'm driving the bus, I'll pick you up on the way". 

• Like 4
  • Hugs 8
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

My favorite response is "I'm Jewish, I'm good". Though these days, that could get me beaten up or murdered.

My favorite response to "you're going to hell" isn't "see you there", but "I'm driving the bus, I'll pick you up on the way". 

Sheesh...do people really say that to you?  Be careful. I'm almost ready to pack my bags & go to Denmark, where people are known to be happy.

• Like 4

Sales folks that knock on doors/ ring doorbells.  When I was a kid this was more common.   But the practice it seems died out for a while.  But it is becoming more and more common where I live now.  

I definitely do not trust anyone that knocks on our door when it's dark out.  It happened tonight.  The guy went away but I was a little afraid taking the garbage out he would spot me.  

• Like 2
  • Hugs 3
  • Sad 1

Years ago, when I had puppies, and couldn't open the front door, or they'd rush out (I was home alone), I was trying to be polite, when a few people knocked on the door.

We're in a split-level house, so the living room is up a bit, and to the right of the front door. I'm standing on the heating vent, window open, leaning out a bit, and trying to listen to them, not realizing they were Jehovah's witnesses. The dogs were howling, and really-shy me ends up yelling out the window, "I'm sorry, what??!" They gave up, and left something in the mailbox. I haven't seen them again since. They may have decided that I was past saving. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

Good God almighty! The ads here are getting awful, especially the Wawa ads that take over the screen. I complained to the site, received a nice response, but was also asked to take a picture of the ads taking over the screen. Can't  do this as it's happening while I'm on my phone and unable to take a picture. It's getting worse & worse. I have an android phone so I'm unable to prevent these damn ads. 🤬

• Mind Blown 2
1 minute ago, annzeepark914 said:

Good God almighty! The ads here are getting awful, especially the Wawa ads that take over the screen. I complained to the site, received a nice response, but was also asked to take a picture of the ads taking over the screen. Can't  do this as it's happening while I'm on my phone and unable to take a picture. It's getting worse & worse. I have an android phone so I'm unable to prevent these damn ads. 🤬

I can't tell you how, but I'm pretty sure it's possible to take a screenshot on an Android phone.  On iPhones it varies by model. I suspect Google could tell you how to do it for your particular phone.  Not that it will probably help with the ads :(

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Good God almighty! The ads here are getting awful, especially the Wawa ads that take over the screen.

I only see the ads on my Amazon Fire and they've been a bit better for me, at least in terms of not covering the whole screen! But there is an absolutely disgusting one for toenail fungus that makes me feel sick whenever it shows up.

• Mind Blown 1
39 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

I use Adblock on my Android. Works like a charm, and it's free!

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
2 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

2 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

I can't tell you how, but I'm pretty sure it's possible to take a screenshot on an Android phone.  On iPhones it varies by model. I suspect Google could tell you how to do it for your particular phone.  Not that it will probably help with the ads :(

You can take a screenshot on an Android by pressing the power and volume up button. There are also hand gestures over the screen but I'm not sure what they are anymore.

• Useful 2